Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

LastCaress posted:

drat I had a flat tire and then at the garage they detected some problems with the engine so now they're going to open it to see what's wrong. I just hope it's fixable, but it'll be very expensive (2005 CBF250 with 36k km :\)

What "issues" did they detect? I hope you're not being taken for a ride, there should be nothing wrong with that bike at that mileage. Remember that they need a signed work order to do the work, and that you don't have to pay if they do a bunch of bullshit that you didn't authorize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
It's an official Honda shop and I go there and usually they're ok. It was about 100€ for the tire and some minor things (since it was there I asked to do a overall check) like air filters and oil. The engine is making a hard to describe click sound (not loud) and it's hard to start the engine specially when it's cold (I had detected this, just didn't try and fix it before). They're going to open the engine and call me before they do anything, but just the opening/closing of the engine is expensive (to me at least, it's not like we're talking about thousandS of euro).

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

LastCaress posted:

It's an official Honda shop and I go there and usually they're ok. It was about 100€ for the tire and some minor things (since it was there I asked to do a overall check) like air filters and oil. The engine is making a hard to describe click sound (not loud) and it's hard to start the engine specially when it's cold (I had detected this, just didn't try and fix it before). They're going to open the engine and call me before they do anything, but just the opening/closing of the engine is expensive (to me at least, it's not like we're talking about thousandS of euro).

I was under the impression that most (carburated) engines are hard to start when it's cold, I know mine needs some coaxing if it's under 70 degrees outside. How much are they charging you for the inspection, and will that be deducted from the cost of repairs?

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
Well I guess it was harder than usually. They're charging 100€ for the inspection (includes oil, tire repair, some other stuff) and he said about 200€ to open+close the engine (but I think he was highballing it so I didn't get any surprise). I guess my only complaint is that they didn't check the engine first - if it's not fixable will I still have to pay the 100€?

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

LastCaress posted:

Well I guess it was harder than usually. They're charging 100€ for the inspection (includes oil, tire repair, some other stuff) and he said about 200€ to open+close the engine (but I think he was highballing it so I didn't get any surprise). I guess my only complaint is that they didn't check the engine first - if it's not fixable will I still have to pay the 100€?

I want to know why they're charging you two inspection fees. $400 bucks to just look at your motor, not necessarily to fix it, just to look at the drat thing, seems really high. Are CBF250s particularly rare? What's the bike worth and how much would a new motor outright cost?

Also have they already done the oil, tires, etc? Because if they've already done minor maintenance and repair and then tell you there's something wrong with the engine seems pretty scummy.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
200€ is for opening and closing the engine, and making whatever diagnosis. Since they don't know what's wrong the final price will depend on what new parts it needs.
CBFs are somewhat rare because they're kind of expensive for a 250 (I think I paid 3900€ for it new in january 2005), but parts should be inexpensive. It's probably worth between 1500 and 2000 now.

Gr3y posted:

Also have they already done the oil, tires, etc? Because if they've already done minor maintenance and repair and then tell you there's something wrong with the engine seems pretty scummy.

Yes this is were I think they went wrong. He told me right away that he wouldn't charge for the second oil change (obviously) but if the engine is gone I don't know what I'll pay.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LastCaress posted:

drat I had a flat tire and then at the garage they detected some problems with the engine so now they're going to open it to see what's wrong. I just hope it's fixable, but it'll be very expensive (2005 CBF250 with 36k km :\)

Sounds weird, did they say what made them think something was wrong? Did you notice anything wrong?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Z3n posted:

Buy a TLR

It doesn't hurt that with the right pipe, they sound like the world is about to end. :black101:

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo

Phat_Albert posted:

Sounds weird, did they say what made them think something was wrong? Did you notice anything wrong?

The difficulty starting the engine yes, not the sound (it's hard to hear, they showed it to me). Even though I make all the revisions on time and never push the bike (well it's a 250 anyway) I'm not the most careful owner and I knew about the trouble starting the engine.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

LastCaress posted:

The difficulty starting the engine yes, not the sound (it's hard to hear, they showed it to me). Even though I make all the revisions on time and never push the bike (well it's a 250 anyway) I'm not the most careful owner and I knew about the trouble starting the engine.

Sounds to me like you just needed a valve adjustment and a carb clean. I don't know why they felt the need to crack the engine open unless they were talking about popping the valve cover off the inspect the tolerances.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Do mods add to a bikes value? My sister is looking at a Ninja 250, and the guy did a price breakdown of his asking price that included:

Cobra F1 Exhaust: $250
rejetting: $100

I know with cars that mods don't generally add any value (or even detract) but I'm not sure with bikes. Either way, are those probably the prices he paid new, or his estimated used value?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nope, mods are a sunk cost, essentially. Maybe if you were looking at a bike with a stock exhaust, and one with a really nice aftermarket exhaust, the seller could leverage his/her way into a little extra for the nice exhaust, but not much.

Mods dont give a seller a license to ask for above bluebook value, which is exactly what most sellers take it as, and what most sellers do.

Rejetting? $100? Forget about it, jet kits add absolutely nothing to the sale price of a bike.

mithrin
Aug 13, 2007

Here is the Ninja 250 I was looking at that Sloppy mentioned. I emailed the guy and he said he would knock off a couple hundred for not including the helmet and the jacket.

Basically, I want to know if this is a good deal or not. It's my first bike and I want to make sure the price tag suits the bike.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!

Phat_Albert posted:

Nope, mods are a sunk cost, essentially. Maybe if you were looking at a bike with a stock exhaust, and one with a really nice aftermarket exhaust, the seller could leverage his/her way into a little extra for the nice exhaust, but not much.

Mods dont give a seller a license to ask for above bluebook value, which is exactly what most sellers take it as, and what most sellers do.

Rejetting? $100? Forget about it, jet kits add absolutely nothing to the sale price of a bike.

People really need to start reading.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

mithrin posted:

Here is the Ninja 250 I was looking at that Sloppy mentioned. I emailed the guy and he said he would knock off a couple hundred for not including the helmet and the jacket.

Basically, I want to know if this is a good deal or not. It's my first bike and I want to make sure the price tag suits the bike.

That guys pulling one of the oldest moves in the book. The fact that he's even doing it implies that he knows the mods arent worth anything.

He's telling you the bluebook, then adding up what the bike is "worth" (a.k.a. bluebook plus the NEW cost of the mods), then selling it to you for an amazing discount (which is, ironically, still above bluebook).

Think about it this way. Would you buy any vehicle used for the same price as it cost brand new? Why would you do the same for mods? People never depreciate mods for some reason, and thats how you end up with listings like the above one.

Thats why I said in my original post that mods can be leveraged to the sellers advantage, but I didnt mean it in the way this guy is doing it. Is it out of line to pay $200 over bluebook for a bike that has an $800 exhaust system on it? Probably not, because the exhaust system isnt worth $800 anymore. The price that guy is quoting for the cobra exhaust is NEW, if you're going to pay for mods at all, they need to be depreciated like anything else. New cost doesnt mean anything. Labor means even less, which is where I'm guessing he got his rejet price.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 5, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

mithrin posted:

Offer him 14 without the gear, and go up to 15, maybe 16. Otherwise, walk. 9 year old bike, and I'd be leary...if the disc is that rusty, when was the chain lubed last? This screams of a sitting bike, which bikes generally do not like.

mithrin
Aug 13, 2007

kdc67 posted:

People really need to start reading.

I read Phat_Albert's statement and I realize that this guy is charging for the mods which essentially have no value to the bike money wise - like he said, it's a 'sunk cost'.

However, seeing as the bike is in fine condition, and this man is open to bargaining, all I'm asking is what is a good market price to compare to? Or is $1800 a pretty standard price?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

I'd be leary...if the disc is that rusty

Real riders dont use the rear brake :smug:

mithrin
Aug 13, 2007

Z3n posted:

Offer him 14 without the gear, and go up to 15, maybe 16. Otherwise, walk. 9 year old bike, and I'd be leary...if the disc is that rusty, when was the chain lubed last? This screams of a sitting bike, which bikes generally do not like.

I'm not dead set on getting this bike but seeing as it will probably be my main source of transportation, I don't exactly want something that's going to die in a couple years, so I'll take this into consideration.

Phat_Albert posted:

That guys pulling one of the oldest moves in the book. The fact that he's even doing it implies that he knows the mods arent worth anything.

He's telling you the bluebook, then adding up what the bike is "worth" (a.k.a. bluebook plus the NEW cost of the mods), then selling it to you for an amazing discount (which is, ironically, still above bluebook).

Think about it this way. Would you buy any vehicle used for the same price as it cost brand new? Why would you do the same for mods? People never depreciate mods for some reason, and thats how you end up with listings like the above one.

Thats why I said in my original post that mods can be leveraged to the sellers advantage, but I didnt mean it in the way this guy is doing it. Is it out of line to pay $200 over bluebook for a bike that has an $800 exhaust system on it? Probably not, because the exhaust system isnt worth $800 anymore. The price that guy is quoting for the cobra exhaust is NEW, if you're going to pay for mods at all, they need to be depreciated like anything else. New cost doesnt mean anything. Labor means even less, which is where I'm guessing he got his rejet price.

Alright, that clears up a lot of my questions, hah. I don't think I'll be getting the bike now. I'm guessing the most he'd deduct for would be the gear anyway.

I'm glad I asked here first.

mithrin fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 5, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Real riders dont use the rear brake :smug:

Of course, all real riders are also found on ninja 250s...it all makes perfect sense now! :shobon:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I cant tell you how many times i've heard the "racers dont use the rear brake why should I" argument from idiots :ughh:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

How illegal is this set up?

You can hardly see the plate as is with the angle. I should probably look at some modifications. But then again considering the amount of custom bikes around here that don't even have any tail lights, rear view mirrors, etc. It's not an usual sight. I bought it like that, too. I haven't had any problems yet but I'm a bit worried.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'd be more worried about someone not seeing that tail light.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Phat_Albert posted:

I'd be more worried about someone not seeing that tail light.

This would be my worry also. Not the cops not liking it so much as the SUV driver whos not paying attention not seeing it.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

How much clearance is there between the plate and the wheel? You can't tell from that angle. I remember a thread on svrider.com (I think) about someone who put in a fender eliminator kit and mounted the plate to close to the wheel. He ended up getting a flat at about 60mph from the suspension compressing the plate into the wheel and slicing the wheel.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Sorry, not the best shot. Plenty of clearance.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

That sort of poo poo is region specific - around here, your bike would likely be impounded, for having an no rear fender, signal lights that appear to be present in name only, an inadequate/non-stock tail light, and improper mounting of the license plate. That's just here, though (wooo BC). Maybe in your neck of the woods, you can just communicate with your friendly five-oh using hand gestures and telepathy. :rolleyes:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

That sort of poo poo is region specific - around here, your bike would likely be impounded, for having an no rear fender, signal lights that appear to be present in name only, an inadequate/non-stock tail light, and improper mounting of the license plate. That's just here, though (wooo BC). Maybe in your neck of the woods, you can just communicate with your friendly five-oh using hand gestures and telepathy. :rolleyes:

CA is really hit or miss on enforcement.

I'd make sure that the tail light is bright enough, and hang some turn signals out there too.

Rear fenders are for lamers (no actually i love having a rear fender on my streetbikes).

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I like fenders because where I live, there exists this peculiar natural phenomenon, wherein tiny motes of dust accumulate in the upper atmosphere, accruing airborne H20 molecules. Eventually, these spheroids reach some critical mass, and are drawn inexorably towards a larger gravitational mass. Once these droplets have reached the outer surface of this larger body, they are at a state of temporary equilibrium, until disturbed by the motion of a passing body, which draws them back up, in some cruel mimicry of their process of formation. Occasionally this strange dance occurs immediately prior to the traversing of that space by another large, moving object. Fortunately, I have a simple device to cause the cessation of tangential velocity of these outward droplets.

TL,DR: Use a loving fender, you asshat. It's not for you, it's for every other bloody person on the road. :argh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

I like fenders because where I live, there exists this peculiar natural phenomenon, wherein tiny motes of dust accumulate in the upper atmosphere, accruing airborne H20 molecules. Eventually, these spheroids reach some critical mass, and are drawn inexorably towards a larger gravitational mass. Once these droplets have reached the outer surface of this larger body, they are at a state of temporary equilibrium, until disturbed by the motion of a passing body, which draws them back up, in some cruel mimicry of their process of formation. Occasionally this strange dance occurs immediately prior to the traversing of that space by another large, moving object. Fortunately, I have a simple device to cause the cessation of tangential velocity of these outward droplets.

TL,DR: Use a loving fender, you asshat. It's not for you, it's for every other bloody person on the road. :argh:

It's california, we're too busy crashing when it starts raining to be bothered by the lack of other people's fenders.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I checked some GIS pictures and it seems like the 2001 GSXR has no rear fender?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I just thought I'd report that I used film negatives to squeeze out a tablespoon worth of muck out of the fork seals of the 39 year old Ossa and it fixed the fork seals.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Depending on how bright the light looks in person, that bike isn't that bad. The plate is even visible and partially illuminated. I doubt you'd get bothered for that here, although it doesn't really look like there are turn signals.

Rooster tails of water are kindof annoying but if it's seriously obstructing your view or spraying you you are probably a bit close, eh?

It all depends where you live and what mood a cop is in but I'd be surprised if you got anything more than a fix it ticket for that. I just got a bike with no rear signal stalks (it's integrated with the factory brake lights) and the plate tucked way under the tail, and no fender, and it went unnoticed like that with the PO for 5k miles. I've moved the plate to where it belongs but the last thing I'm going to add is a fender.

GIS harder, the very first image for me of a "2001 gsxr" was a stock photo with a fender.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Simkin posted:

Quit tailgating you rear end in a top hat.

Besides, the rooster tail increases your visibility to other drivers. In combination with a set of loud pipes you never need to worry about cars again.

:)

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Zool posted:

Quit tailgating you rear end in a top hat.

Besides, the rooster tail increases your visibility to other drivers. In combination with a set of loud pipes you never need to worry about cars again.

:)

If you're doing that you need to ride without a helmet. Helmets reduce how much you can see, and you only need it when you crash. And you won't crash if you ride faster than everything else on the road, obviously then nothing can hit you, and you can see everything coming with your improved visibility.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I guess the simple solution is just to never ride in the rain, ever. :rolleyes:

Finally got around to hooking my grip heaters up today. Yes, they were a Christmas present. :( I went for a spin, tried turning them on, only to find that they didn't work. I got home after the ride, decided that only the biggest nonce in the world could gently caress up the simple electrical job of hooking 3 connectors up and wiring it to a battery, and then looked at the instruction sheet.

quote:

To turn on the grips, hold down the 'on' button for two seconds.

Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :downs:

The next ride I'm actually going to have functional heated grips, damnit.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Simkin posted:

The next ride I'm actually going to have functional heated grips, damnit.

Those will sure come in handy with spring coming :v:

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

Simkin posted:

Finally got around to hooking my grip heaters up today. Yes, they were a Christmas present. :(

Don't worry, I was in the same situation and didn't get them installed until about 3 weeks ago. I've only used them a few times but it was totally worth it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I actually just removed the grip heaters from the Bandit. I didnt think they were really that great, as the other side of your hands is still freezing cold.

I'm going to just try a pair of cold weather gloves this fall and see how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Speedo drives can be pretty disgusting.

I ghetto fixed my broken speedo, more pics and description over here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=138232

Ola fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 6, 2009