Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

A game on (what I believe to be) the Sega Genesis. You played some kind of wizard, and you had different colored rings that gave you special powers. They were usually simple things, like shooting fireballs or wavy purple things. I remember having a ton of fun playing it, but it was so long ago and I can't remember the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

A space combat simulator from the early-mid nineties. The thing that impressed me about it was that one level I played started out in a city--you have to fly around the city shooting down bad ships--but you can fly out into space if you want to. Horrible, blocky graphics.

Modest Mike
Oct 23, 2008

Upon your feet you have ten toes, they look just like...
po-ta-toes!
there was this game on my friends old apple we used to play, or it might have been a pc, i can't remember, i know it wasn't any console. It must have been almost 10 years ago. It was a 2 played coop game, one player would basically play missile command on the top half of the screen. but instead of you losing bases if the enemy got past your missiles the ship would land and drop aliens into the bottom of your screen where there was a space base with three stories and the second player would control a little spaceman with a gun who would have to kill the aliens. It was a ton of fun and i wish i could remember the name of it.

Modest Mike fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 27, 2009

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Sci-fi action game where you could pilot a helicopter or tank. Your weapons were razor guns and ion cannons. You could get multiple copies of the weapon for more power. You could drive or fly over lit up squares to make you go faster. It was indoors and outdoors. One of the taunts was "Game over, junior!".

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Dirty Job posted:

A game on (what I believe to be) the Sega Genesis. You played some kind of wizard, and you had different colored rings that gave you special powers. They were usually simple things, like shooting fireballs or wavy purple things. I remember having a ton of fun playing it, but it was so long ago and I can't remember the name.

I think I answered this for someone in another thread (or perhaps earlier in this one), but the game you're thinking of is Jewel Master. :)

Patashu
Jan 7, 2009

Plinth posted:

It was never officially released on the Mac or PC as far as I'm aware, but this is pretty much Ant Attack.

That but for Windows/MAC. Pretty sure I've never seen a C64...

Hmm!

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Patashu posted:

That but for Windows/MAC. Pretty sure I've never seen a C64...

Hmm!

A quick bit of googling brings up this, which seems to be the remake in question.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Catellite posted:

The second one is probably RanaRama, although it's more like Gauntlet with adventure/RPG elements than a straight rogue-like. One of the few C64 games I managed to finish.

Not sure about the first, it sounds almost like a conflation of Entombed which wasn't on the ST, and Rick Dangerous, which was.
The first one's spot on, cheers for that (and there's a remake! :)). For the second, Entombed sounds right, but the screenshots I'm turning up don't look a thing like it, and I'm almost certain it was on ST. Graphically it was pretty close to Rick Dangerous, but that definitely isn't it.

Some other things I'm remembering about it - it was a side-scroller, and everything was timed so you had to move fast or you'd be trapped in by spikes. And there were a lot of spikes. I think they were a real pain in the rear end as well since the hit detection was really sensitive. Also jumping was kind of awkward I think, I seem to remember having a lot of trouble clearing certain pits (but then again my joystick pretty much sucked).

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

RTS game, 3D, you could pilot giant mechs and customize them, and I believe there were 3 stages of every map. Underground, on the planet, and up in the sky. This was a relatively old game that was one of the first 3D RTSes I ever played. Can anyone name it?

VVV Thank you!

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 1, 2009

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

RTS game, 3D, you could pilot giant mechs and customize them, and I believe there were 3 stages of every map. Underground, on the planet, and up in the sky. This was a relatively old game that was one of the first 3D RTSes I ever played. Can anyone name it?

Metal Fatigue.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
I've asked this in another thread but I figured I'd increase my chances since this thread is pretty much what I need. Also I don't quite have time to browse 25 pages.

I've seen a game floating around one time when I was in the #nethack channel but I forgot it's name. Apparently it's an ASCII graphic style game set in space with randomly generated solar systems where you just go around taking sidequests and stuff. It's ascii graphics like nethack but the space flying is in real time, which was awesome. You can also make planet fall and walk around on foot. I believe it has a central plot to it but I'm not sure. I never got a chance to download it and the link has been lost to me. If anyone remembers the name and/or link I be eternally grateful.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Blackray Jack posted:

ASCII graphic style game set in space with randomly generated solar systems

Sounds like Privateer: ASCII Sector.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Saint Septimus posted:

Arkista's Ring fits most of the details.

Sorry for the enormous delay in responding, but thanks, this looks exactly like what I remember.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I used to love this game for the PC during the late 90's. I believe it took place entirely in some kid's nightmares and the menu screen was above his bed or something like that. Anyone have any ideas?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

I used to love this game for the PC during the late 90's. I believe it took place entirely in some kid's nightmares and the menu screen was above his bed or something like that. Anyone have any ideas?

That could be Nightmare Ned.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

ponzicar posted:

That could be Nightmare Ned.

Awesome, that's exactly it. Google was failing me.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006
Old DOS game, probably came on a single 3.5 inch disk as shareware/freeware. It was a side scrolling helicopter game. It was very simple, using the arrow keys to fly and spacebar to fire. You'd accept different missions but they'd all be on the same maps. Your weapons would deform the terrain, and you had a limited number of bomb type weapons that would take a huge chunk out of the landscape. The missions would be to do stuff like rescue a hostage or blow up an incoming cruise missile, and after you completed it you'd fly back and get graded on your performance. There was also a secret base you could land at if you flew through a mountain at the far right of the map and your chopper would be upgraded. Your commanding officer would also yell at your or praise you depending upon how you did in the mission. Sound familiar to anyone?

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Some other things I'm remembering about it - it was a side-scroller, and everything was timed so you had to move fast or you'd be trapped in by spikes. And there were a lot of spikes. I think they were a real pain in the rear end as well since the hit detection was really sensitive. Also jumping was kind of awkward I think, I seem to remember having a lot of trouble clearing certain pits (but then again my joystick pretty much sucked).
You're right, apparently there was an Entombed on the ST, and it was an Egyptian-themed 2d platformer. It was PD or on a coverdisc or something, not released as far as I can tell, so there's not a lot of information on it. This is the best I could find that isn't either a download link or someone else's forum post about it, but it looks like it might be your game.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Keen Dreams?

(If it's Keen Dreams, don't play it. It's an awful game and will only destroy any fond memories you have of it.)

Edit: Okay I really need to stop falling asleep on my keyboard.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

NJ Deac posted:

Old DOS game, probably came on a single 3.5 inch disk as shareware/freeware. It was a side scrolling helicopter game. There was also a secret base you could land at if you flew through a mountain at the far right of the map and your chopper would be upgraded.

Chopper Commando.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
I don't think it ever came out. It was a game where you played entirely with sound. You are some monster in a dark cave and have to kill whatever comes down there.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Dominoes posted:

Sci-fi action game where you could pilot a helicopter or tank. Your weapons were razor guns and ion cannons. You could get multiple copies of the weapon for more power. You could drive or fly over lit up squares to make you go faster. It was indoors and outdoors. One of the taunts was "Game over, junior!".

2d or 3d?

If the former, I'd suggest SWIV: http://hol.abime.net/2240 if the latter Extreme Assault: http://www.bluebyte.net/eng/products/extreme-assault/p_details.htm

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

SNES overhead shooter game. I don't remember much about it but I remember there were 10 levels, stage 4/5 was Chinatown or some other Asian-themed level, stage 8 was some vehicle level where you were chasing after a plane on a runway. You got better and better guns as you went through the levels. I kinda remember there being a flamethrower in it. There may or may not have been key gimmicks to the levels kinda like Doom, I remember getting lost within the levels and having to explore a little. I might have some or all of these details wrong.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

HVD posted:

2d or 3d?

If the former, I'd suggest SWIV: http://hol.abime.net/2240 if the latter Extreme Assault: http://www.bluebyte.net/eng/products/extreme-assault/p_details.htm
I think it was Extreme Assault. Thanks.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
There was this PC rpg a good while ago. I'd Google it, but the trouble is that it featured characters named Amano and Nomura, which naturally makes that more or less an impossibility. It was the typical indie fare, drifting between medieval and scifi.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I've been looking for an RTS game that I used to play. Basic RTS gameplay, but the catch was that you had armies of animals and could mix DNA to make some pretty kick rear end flying whale-tigers-buzzards

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like Impossible Creatures to me.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
oh wow! ha thank you.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Shortymrbig posted:

oh wow! ha thank you.

I still own this game, its pretty awesome.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

There was a game way back in the day on Genesis. I only remember it very vaguely but you were a ship captain and had to stop at towns to get supplies and explore the world. Every town was stock and looked almost exactly the same and the graphics were pretty bad (for Genesis). There were also battles with other groups of ships and you could recruit up to four other ships to be with you but you had to give them gold for them to remain loyal. Also you could search land for food and water if you had to. Thats all I can really remember about it but it was fun. Ring any bells?

secretplot
Apr 20, 2007
That's MISTER Buns to the likes of you.

vaginite posted:

There was a game way back in the day on Genesis. I only remember it very vaguely but you were a ship captain and had to stop at towns to get supplies and explore the world. Every town was stock and looked almost exactly the same and the graphics were pretty bad (for Genesis). There were also battles with other groups of ships and you could recruit up to four other ships to be with you but you had to give them gold for them to remain loyal. Also you could search land for food and water if you had to. Thats all I can really remember about it but it was fun. Ring any bells?

That would be Koei's Uncharted Waters 1, my friend, featuring a soundtrack by the great Yoko Kanno!

JuSt
A
MaCaRoNi
SaLaD
LoViN'
MaN

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

secretplot posted:

That would be Koei's Uncharted Waters 1, my friend, featuring a soundtrack by the great Yoko Kanno!

Sweet thanks a million.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Two games:
One on the NES, played vaguely like a kirby game. You threw candy at monsters to make them your friends then rode them around to use their powers. One of the levels was on a giant toy train. At the end you got a magical staff or something to fight the boss with.

The other was on, I think, the Genesis. It was a fighting game, but the characters were giant monsters and you got bonus points for wrecking the city while you fought. There were barriers around the edges of the stage and if you hit them you would stretch them back a bit and then they would snap forward like a rubber band and you would go flying helplessly forward.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Funkmaster General posted:

Two games:
One on the NES, played vaguely like a kirby game. You threw candy at monsters to make them your friends then rode them around to use their powers. One of the levels was on a giant toy train. At the end you got a magical staff or something to fight the boss with.

The other was on, I think, the Genesis. It was a fighting game, but the characters were giant monsters and you got bonus points for wrecking the city while you fought. There were barriers around the edges of the stage and if you hit them you would stretch them back a bit and then they would snap forward like a rubber band and you would go flying helplessly forward.

NES one is Little Nemo and the Genesis one is probably King of the Monsters.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Liquid Penguins posted:

I don't think it ever came out. It was a game where you played entirely with sound. You are some monster in a dark cave and have to kill whatever comes down there.

In the Pit.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

GrandpaPants posted:

NES one is Little Nemo and the Genesis one is probably King of the Monsters.

Holy poo poo.

Awesome, thanks.

Mister Bung
Jun 7, 2004

What about the children foo'?
Ok, this is going to be a tough one.
Waaay back when I was in primary school we had these old computers set up, I can't even remeber the models but they were clunky, basic and old. Commodore 64 type deals, only I don't think they actually were. I think they started with an A maybe? Amtrad or something? One of the programs they had on there was Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing (at least I think it was).

The game I'm actually looking for was the edu-tainment type thing about searching and photographing a Kraken. This involved traveling across an overworld type map with a few different locations, each with a new puzzle that, once solved, would give you a clue to the correct Kraken location. The clues were in the form of numbers for your submersible, so you'd have lat and long, depth, direction to face - that sort of thing.

It's a longshot but a bit of Google-Fu hasn't helped and I figured someone here might've played it as well.

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 19, 2011

Valrik
Apr 16, 2003

Bald!
A Playstation game circa early 2000

Part of the game took place on an ocean liner. It was first person, but not a shooter. Multiple choice/puzzle/ghost story. You had to figure out what dead people needed or run away. Sort of like Sixth Sense before the movie came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Valrik posted:

A Playstation game circa early 2000

Part of the game took place on an ocean liner. It was first person, but not a shooter. Multiple choice/puzzle/ghost story. You had to figure out what dead people needed or run away. Sort of like Sixth Sense before the movie came out.

Gotta be Echo Night. For extra fun, check out the sequel Echo Night Beyond on the PS2 as well.

• Locked thread