Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

incredibull posted:

TSM I can just look to you for my guinea pig of cool-looking upgrades, since your Jeep looks practically identical to mine, just a foot longer.

What's that winch?

It's a 10k Vortex winch off my YJ, which is the same as Bulldog and Gorilla. When I was looking at it I found they are all made in the same factory as T-Max Winches.....in China.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/recovery/bulldog1/winch10K-1.htm

Is a review on one with the enclosed solenoid.

It is a bit slow, but it does the job. Some confusion may be from the fact that I stuck a Warn operating decal on it.But the stickers that came with it faded in about a month.

Next I think I will mount the solenoid box under the hood and wire up a winch panel from 12voltguy.com. OR I may run a T-Max Boomer box which would add wireless.

I was going to get synthetic winchline, but I'll put my steel cable back on until I find a deal on the synthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
Goddamn I lost my winch controller. I guess it was in "the box of poo poo" that went with my old jeep when I sold it, I dunno if i have that dudes contact info or not. I THINK a Superwinch control will work, if not HELLO IN CAB CONTROLLER.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Is there anything that would scare you away from this?
http://detroit.craigslist.org/cto/1049870114.html

Any questions I should ask him? Also, should I be worried about buying a vehicle that already has a lift on it (may have been done by caps-typing retard)?

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

My goodness what am I doing here?

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Goddamn I lost my winch controller. I guess it was in "the box of poo poo" that went with my old jeep when I sold it, I dunno if i have that dudes contact info or not. I THINK a Superwinch control will work, if not HELLO IN CAB CONTROLLER.

Do it! I saw a Comanche once that was a 4x4 short bed, 4.0 5 speed with the AX15, D44 rear, and had a FACTORY WINCH!!! installed behind a stock bumper, and factory in cab winch controls. Most loving baller Comanche ever, I offered to trade my lifted 5 spd Cherokee for it on the spot, but he wasn't having any of that.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Jack_Handey posted:

Do it! I saw a Comanche once that was a 4x4 short bed, 4.0 5 speed with the AX15, D44 rear, and had a FACTORY WINCH!!! installed behind a stock bumper, and factory in cab winch controls. Most loving baller Comanche ever, I offered to trade my lifted 5 spd Cherokee for it on the spot, but he wasn't having any of that.

Factory winch with factory control? From when? You sure it wasn't a really clean aftermarket job?

Did you know you can get a MOPAR branded winch now which I think is a Warn but has a big blue and silver MOPAR on it. I saw it looking around for replacement parts.

I MAY got with a wireless controller. It wires into the the solenoid box like the in cab controller would, but then I could use it in cab or out front.

Like if I wanted to spool the line on the winch from the cab I'd have to connect to something and winch it in, hoping the line does right. Versus standing there at the winch with gloves and guiding it on.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
heres the details on the factory winch the guys on naxja dug up on it.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24496

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

I'm considering buying a 94 YJ in Ontario from a guy who is the second owner. It has 87,000 miles on it; 4.0L I6, has both hard top and soft top, stock rims/tires and 33" mud tires. Suspension is lifted 5" and body is lifted 3" more.

Took it for a quick drive yesterday and it seemed fine. No odd noises, ran smooth, etc.

The current owner is a mechanic and does all of his own work on it, put the lift kit on, etc. He has a few other things to do before he sells it, like fixing the passenger door latch, which isn't working. He recently put a new muffler on it and a new starter.

He's asking $4500 CAD.

Is this a reasonable price?
Also, this would be my first jeep - what should I check out and look out for?

I have a reliable daily driver so this Jeep will solely be for fun (when it works) and for doing all of my own repairs on (when it doesn't) as a learning experience. I currently know nothing but I'd like to start learning how to do my own work, so if I buy this, I'll get an Alldata account for it or something.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Just got my first Jeep yesterday.
02 Wrangler 42000mi
4.0L 5sp
Black with a hardtop
Canyon Tire and wheel group(dana 44 rear axle)
Some pictures from the previous owner:

edit: What company should I look at for buying headers and a muffler?

vains fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 3, 2009

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
I died a little bit inside when I saw this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

benzero
May 25, 2005

Brains for dinner, brains for lunch, brains for breakfast, brains for brunch.

Veins McGee posted:

Just got my first Jeep yesterday.
02 Wrangler 42000mi
4.0L 5sp
Black with a hardtop
Canyon Tire and wheel group(dana 44 rear axle)
Some pictures from the previous owner:

edit: What company should I look at for buying headers and a muffler?

I wouldn't. Use that money for some upgrades that will be worthwhile unless your exhaust is totally shot. It's not going to help your speed or mileage from everything I hear. For the price of a full exhaust, you could get lots of fun stuff.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
A new winch controller would have been 46 dollars, a wireless controller was 65. It mounts inside the solenoid box and hooks up to the solenoids. The controller looks like an alarm remote.

I'm interested to see how this works out, because with this I have eliminated the need for a in cab controller, so now I can put some OTHER kind of controller in that space next to the locker switch, maybe a dual battery panel. (someday)

A dual oddessy battery set up would be goddamn sexy.

vains
May 26, 2004

benzero posted:

I wouldn't. Use that money for some upgrades that will be worthwhile unless your exhaust is totally shot. It's not going to help your speed or mileage from everything I hear. For the price of a full exhaust, you could get lots of fun stuff.

I figured that a better flowing exhaust would improve mileage.

Are there any winch companies I should avoid at all costs? If I got a winch, what bumper should I get(something that is going to make the winch harder to steal)? Should I need to get a skyjacker lift or am I just paying for the name brand?

Where can I get a Dana 44 front axle for a reasonable price?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I'm looking at some 01-03 2 door models, generally used for about 10-13k (normal for the aussie market).

Is there anything specific I should be looking for when I'm looking at these cars inspection wise. I know some of these can take a bashing off road and I don't know my way around Jeeps well enough to know of any specific issues with these year's models.

Any advice would be appreciated.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

BlindSite posted:

I'm looking at some 01-03 2 door models, generally used for about 10-13k (normal for the aussie market).

Is there anything specific I should be looking for when I'm looking at these cars inspection wise. I know some of these can take a bashing off road and I don't know my way around Jeeps well enough to know of any specific issues with these year's models.

Any advice would be appreciated.

My best advice to you is to try to avoid jeeps with the Dana 35 rear axle. At the very least, if you end up with a Dana 35, make sure that you don't get 3.07 gears, as this will limit your options if you want to wear bigger tires. Many Sport models will have a Dana 44 rear, or at least lower gears (higher number). Rubicons have Dana 44 front and rear. I don't think Dana 44 was available at all on X models.

You can find all of this out by looking at the differential housing, and checking the axle ID tag that's bolted to the differential cover. Here's a guide to help you ID the axle: http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

Honestly though, if you don't have any plans to change from the stock tire size, don't worry about this too much. The stock ratio is almost always a good pairing for the OEM tire size. Check the build tag on the inside of the driver's door to see the OEM tire size, and compare to the tires that are currently on the Jeep. Also, the Dana 35 really isn't that weak; it just doesn't put up with as much abuse as the Dana 44 does, and you really don't know how much abuse the previous owner put on it.

Other than that, the only other major thing I can think of is make sure the transmission has no issues if it's an automatic. Get it up to operating temp, and get it onto a long straightaway where you can make sure that overdrive works OK.

If the Jeep is lifted, you also want to get it up to highway speeds to make sure that it's aligned properly and doesn't have any front suspension geometry issues. If it wasn't lifted properly, bad vibrations can start to show up around 45-60MPH. A lot of TJs normally vibrate a little bit at this speed, even when stock, but a bad lift can greatly exaggerate this tendency.

Really can't say too much about other things to watch out for. They're pretty mechanically solid, with not a whole lot that can go wrong, and what does go wrong is easily fixed. That's one of the main reasons why I bought one!

incredibull fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Mar 4, 2009

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Finally decided on a lift.

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=IR-X_6LK

Getting the Iron Rock 6.5 long arm kit, with upgraded shocks. I was going to get the rubicon express kit, but I don`t really feel like spending $2500 for a lift.

I also have aussie lockers front n rear coming, and a full set of AJ`s offroad armour soon.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So, apparently a throttle body from a Cherokee fits my car with minimal modification and is considered a cheap and easy "mod" for my car. However, I believe only the 60mm throttle body from a 4.0L automatic Jeep will work. I read that in 1991 they started using the 60mm TB on the Cherokee as opposed to the previous smaller version. I also read that its only the automatic TB that will work, as the TB from a manual in the Jeep tapers down from 60mm to something like 54mm or whatever.

1. Until what year can I nab one of these 60mm throttle bodies? Wikipedia says that they made the XJ until 2001, so I'm assuming I can source a TB from a Cherokee up to 2001, however they made have made some mechanical changes or replaced the throttle body I'm looking for, so I wanted to ask you expects.

2. How much do you think one of these will run me at a junk yard? eBay has a few for sale around the $70 - $100 range after shipping but for that amount of money I rather save up to just have my stock TB bored out. My ex-GF has a Cherokee parts car in her uncle's garage, but the broad hates my guts and hasn't responded to my query about it yet. :argh:

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So, apparently a throttle body from a Cherokee fits my car with minimal modification and is considered a cheap and easy "mod" for my car. However, I believe only the 60mm throttle body from a 4.0L automatic Jeep will work. I read that in 1991 they started using the 60mm TB on the Cherokee as opposed to the previous smaller version. I also read that its only the automatic TB that will work, as the TB from a manual in the Jeep tapers down from 60mm to something like 54mm or whatever.

1. Until what year can I nab one of these 60mm throttle bodies? Wikipedia says that they made the XJ until 2001, so I'm assuming I can source a TB from a Cherokee up to 2001, however they made have made some mechanical changes or replaced the throttle body I'm looking for, so I wanted to ask you expects.

2. How much do you think one of these will run me at a junk yard? eBay has a few for sale around the $70 - $100 range after shipping but for that amount of money I rather save up to just have my stock TB bored out. My ex-GF has a Cherokee parts car in her uncle's garage, but the broad hates my guts and hasn't responded to my query about it yet. :argh:

Alternatively:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/MustangTB.html

I've always found way more 5.0 Mustangs in yards than any kind of 4.0 Jeep.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Haha, I meant for my car that isn't a Jeep. The specific TB I asked about above should fit my engine (420a I4) with minimal modification.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
my jeep cherokee floors are rusted away and I can see the carpet/insulation underneath the vehicle. Is it possible to have some steel welded on the bottom or some kinda reinforcement? Most body shops I've taken it to said they won't touch rust.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dundun posted:

my jeep cherokee floors are rusted away and I can see the carpet/insulation underneath the vehicle. Is it possible to have some steel welded on the bottom or some kinda reinforcement? Most body shops I've taken it to said they won't touch rust.

Take it to a 4x4 or race car type fab shop. They will probably want you to remove your carpet first, so pull your seats, and make it so that you can pull out or roll back the carpet.

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001
What tires do you all like for spring through fall? Bridgestone Blizzak have been great all winter, but it's time to change them over soon. The General Grabber HTS get great reviews (#1 in category on TireRack) and are $104 apiece at 265/70/16; that's a good 50% cheaper than just about every other tire. Any other suggestions that aren't reviewed on TireRack?

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

I've actually got a TB from a '98 4.0 automatic Cherokee. I'll see if I can find it for ya.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Haha, I meant for my car that isn't a Jeep. The specific TB I asked about above should fit my engine (420a I4) with minimal modification.

you lookin for a throttlebody for a 4.0HO or a 4.0 renix? *4bolts for the ho, 3 for the renix*

I have a TB from a 98+ HO sitting on the intake manifold I got from the junkyard I hadn't planned on using.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 9, 2023

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I'm not aware of anything like that in southern Wisconsin. There might be some stuff up north, but usually they rent ATVs and whatnot.

I'll rent you mine for $3000. And you can keep it afterwards.

Naw, I couldn't part with my rusty, angry baby. Oh wait, there's this: http://www.myspace.com/offroadadventures but the trail's in northern IL.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Veeb0rg posted:

you lookin for a throttlebody for a 4.0HO or a 4.0 renix? *4bolts for the ho, 3 for the renix*

I have a TB from a 98+ HO sitting on the intake manifold I got from the junkyard I hadn't planned on using.

I'm reading the write-up for my car and the Jeep TB. It says any TB from an automatic 4.0L between 1991 and 1999 will do. The author wrote, "The 2gnt (my car) TB has 2 very deep mounting holes diagonally opposed, while the Jeep TB has a puny little 4-bolt base. Don't worry - really, it's ok." So, I'm guessing it's the HO 4.0L with the 4-bolt pattern I need then.

The write up is here in case I didn't explain it well enough.

Milton
Jan 3, 2005

...but then they switched from the 1911 to the beretta but I kept my 1911 because it didn't bind up as much and I kept the rounds for the 1911...
I need a new hubcap for my '98 Wrangler Sport. It looks like the picture.

I cannot find anything similar at JC Whitney or Quadratec or anywhere else. Does anyone know where I can find this thing or another part to cover my hub? I can find small center caps (http://www.quadratec.com/products/92806_007.htm) but I'm not sure they'd work or how I would attach them.

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 9, 2023

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

jonathan posted:

Take it to a 4x4 or race car type fab shop. They will probably want you to remove your carpet first, so pull your seats, and make it so that you can pull out or roll back the carpet.

What cost would be reasonable to get this done if I have the shop pull my seats/carpet along with the job?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

dundun posted:

What cost would be reasonable to get this done if I have the shop pull my seats/carpet along with the job?

Shops usually charge $90 - $110 per hour for things they don't want to do. I would call around to some 4x4 custom shops, perhaps ones that are good with jeeps, and see what it would cost for patchwork on the floorboards.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I seafoamed my engine today. Well actually I dumped a bottle into the crank case. I'll do the vacuum/intake side of it later today. I was going to pour 1/2 bottle into the crankcase and 1/2 into the fuel tank, but really, I don't think it can do much in the fuel tank, unless you ran close to straight seafoam.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I'm reading the write-up for my car and the Jeep TB. It says any TB from an automatic 4.0L between 1991 and 1999 will do. The author wrote, "The 2gnt (my car) TB has 2 very deep mounting holes diagonally opposed, while the Jeep TB has a puny little 4-bolt base. Don't worry - really, it's ok." So, I'm guessing it's the HO 4.0L with the 4-bolt pattern I need then.

The write up is here in case I didn't explain it well enough.

Yeah, thats a 4.0HO one.. I have one sitting on the manifold I ordered. Though with your manifold setup it looks like you might also be able to use a 58mm throttlebody off a 3.8 caravan as well.

Milton, Ebay or a local pick and pull.. I can take a look tomorrow and see if I find one in good shape. Those ones from quadratech slip in from the back of the rim, stock ones screw on.

Milton
Jan 3, 2005

...but then they switched from the 1911 to the beretta but I kept my 1911 because it didn't bind up as much and I kept the rounds for the 1911...

Veeb0rg posted:

Yeah, thats a 4.0HO one.. I have one sitting on the manifold I ordered. Though with your manifold setup it looks like you might also be able to use a 58mm throttlebody off a 3.8 caravan as well.

Milton, Ebay or a local pick and pull.. I can take a look tomorrow and see if I find one in good shape. Those ones from quadratech slip in from the back of the rim, stock ones screw on.

Let me know if you find anything, please. It's alright if nothing turns up-- I did see a couple things on eBay which look like they would work.

vains
May 26, 2004

Does roughcountry.com make a decent lift kit? I've looked around and haven't seen anything bad.

Jack_Handey
Jun 3, 2003

Rough Country is kind of lovely, I'd recommend rustysoffroad or rubiconexpress over them

Valgarv
Mar 2, 2005
I'm thinking of buying a 90 YJ with an inline 6 that has a carb on it, I've never owned a car with a carb and I'm wondering if there's anything I should look out for or to be wary of when owning one.

And if they do suck, how annoying would it be to change it to fuel injection?

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

Valgarv posted:

I'm thinking of buying a 90 YJ with an inline 6 that has a carb on it, I've never owned a car with a carb and I'm wondering if there's anything I should look out for or to be wary of when owning one.

And if they do suck, how annoying would it be to change it to fuel injection?

If' its the factory set up and your state allows it, rip the carb off and all the associated 300 miles of vacuum lines off with it. Put on a weber or a motorcraft 2100/2150, then do a TFI upgrade which is putting a bigger cap on the distributor and using a hotter coil. Those 2 things there will make it run 3000 times better. If your state is against all that fun, there's only so much you can do with that stock carter carb.

I biased because my old YJ had the carter and gave me nothing but trouble, so it was great to get rid of it and get better performance from what I just mentioned.

The cheapest FI would be the Howell TBI, and it's like ~1300 dollars, the mopar MPI complete with intake and all that poo poo like ~2800 and you still have to buy a 300 dollar harmonic balancer or some wheel that does something.

Motorcraft 2100 rebuilt ~150ish, tfi ignition ~50 ish.

Heres a link to a pre made tfi.

http://www.crtperformance.com/html/the__juicebox_.html

It comes with a bracket for the coil,but you can gather the parts yourself for around 50 dollars.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Veeb0rg posted:

Hmm, I'm not sure if a 58mm TB from a 3.8L Caravan would work, I'm only looking for the Jeep TB because tons of 420a based forums recommended it to accommodate my new Iceman cold air intake. And even easier upgrade is to use the TB from a '95-'99 Dodge Neon ATX. It's the same size as mine, but mine has a "hump" in it where the Neon's does not which from what I understand allows for more airflow. But, its still a 52mm at the end of the day regardless. I also read that the Jeep TB upgrade is a bit overkill because the intake manifold isn't 60mm, its more like 56mm I think. I'm never very skilled or knowledgeable in the automotive area, so feel free to correct me on anything, haha.

Anyways, I've been looking on eBay for one daily but they are pretty expensive, like ~$75. Being a broke college student I definitely can not afford to drop that much money on a used Jeep throttle body, haha. So I figured one of you guys might have one layin' around or that I could hit up some junk yards once it gets warmer and stops snowing.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
Where is the A/C compressor located on a 96 jeep cherokee and how would I find out if it needs replacing? My A/C doesn't work, can I try charging it with those cans you buy at pepboys or do I need a special older stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Hmm, I'm not sure if a 58mm TB from a 3.8L Caravan would work, I'm only looking for the Jeep TB because tons of 420a based forums recommended it to accommodate my new Iceman cold air intake. And even easier upgrade is to use the TB from a '95-'99 Dodge Neon ATX. It's the same size as mine, but mine has a "hump" in it where the Neon's does not which from what I understand allows for more airflow. But, its still a 52mm at the end of the day regardless. I also read that the Jeep TB upgrade is a bit overkill because the intake manifold isn't 60mm, its more like 56mm I think. I'm never very skilled or knowledgeable in the automotive area, so feel free to correct me on anything, haha.

Anyways, I've been looking on eBay for one daily but they are pretty expensive, like ~$75. Being a broke college student I definitely can not afford to drop that much money on a used Jeep throttle body, haha. So I figured one of you guys might have one layin' around or that I could hit up some junk yards once it gets warmer and stops snowing.

drop me a line on aim..