Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

drat you Deal of the Day!

Another $30 pedal. Any experiences with this?

(who am I kidding, I'm going to buy it anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Orange Squeezer clone (sort of), and bought one, thanks for the heads up. Not to be confused with the modern Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer, which is a reissue but which I believe has some stuff different about it? He claims to have improved the circuit in some ways, not really sure.

Edit: Reading up on it, I'll report back shortly.

Edit 2: Not much of a story, basically the Orange Squeezer was made for awhile and then it wasn't, people really liked it and so small makers started putting it out (folks like Analogman), now Dan Armstrong is working with some company to make and sell them again, along with some other pedals. But they're clearancing at MF, as you can see, so I'm not really sure what's going on, if they didn't work out or what. I do know, however, that I need a compressor that isn't this Behringer DynaComp clone (I do like it and what it does, it's just sort of a piece of crap, you know?) and the way that I use the thing sounds like the Orange Squeezer would do the trick. Plus I just got the treble booster, whatever it is (my money's still on rangemaster, but the beano and screaming bird were one-knob boosters too), so it'll be neat to have two BBE boxes around I guess.

Wish I had bought the Green Screamer when it was going for $30, too. That was a missed opportunity. I still don't have a TS. Well, I've got a Bad Monkey, but it isn't really based on the TS in a huge way, it just happens to sound a lot like one. Ah, whatever. Getting close to 40 pedals and I don't have a damned tubescreamer. Awful, just awful...

Edit 3: Apparently this was formerly sold as the "Main Squeeze," and Dan Armstrong Digitech owned the name so they had to change it.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 7, 2009

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

mono posted:

I wish I still had a job. :(

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Agreed posted:

The Sonic Maximizer isn't what most people think it is, because BBE's marketing is great and stretches the truth a bit. Most of it is a variable state filter which introduces very small delays into the sound along a defined crossover point, with all the phase stuff that brings (which is what changes the sound so notably) - in a crossed over speaker system, that might have the marketed effect of delaying some frequencies slightly but it would have to be tuned to the crossover itself and I don't seem to recall there being any mechanism to do so on the units. You can get a lot of the same effect with a comb filter if I recall, could be wrong, it's been a long time since I read the stuff and I'm not exactly an electronics guy, if you're an engineer you'll get the stuff more fully:

Here's the scoop, here's a schematic of the 482i with some diagraming of the functions, here's a schematic of a reversed Sonic Stomp.

These are linked in that thread but they're the best explanations on the web of what's actually going on in the BBE Maximizers, so I'll link them directly here too, read all three:
Post 1
Post 2
Post 3

The reason that the BBE process has remained mysterious is because the actual ICs are patented and proprietary, unavailable to the general public, but it's nothing magical going on and what Bajaman did was to create a daughter board which is a work-alike to the circuit in a non-patent-violating way.

The non-Sonic Stomp BBE Stomp Boxes are all reproductions of other things, as far as I know. The Freq Boost could be a Rangemaster, a Beano, or a Screaming Bird, all classic treble boost designs that fit the description of the product.

Huh. Weird. So it's like a preset EQ + overdrive/harmonic content booster + a frequency-filtered variable delay circuit.

Definitely a very interesting and unique design. I wonder what would happen if you digitized the frequency-filtered delay circuit to delay all frequencies with much greater granularity (and therefore accuracy to how they should be delayed).

Also, is there much point to a compressor if you're not playing super high gain stuff? I've fiddled with them before and they barely seem to do anything noticeable to me. I know what they technically do, but that doesn't make them make any more sense to me as a guitar pedal.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I use one in front of my amp when I use my Damage Control pedals, the adjustable opto-comp built into the Liquid Blues. It's quite subtle, more for evening out your string volume than squashing the signal. I also use one sometimes in front of my DI to control the dynamic range going into my modelers. One of the necessary limitations of modelers as they exist today is that they treat the incoming signal as though it were at the nominal input voltage of the amplifier, so you want to have as close to the maximum signal going into the processor as you can, but the drawback of that is that it means you've got to be careful because you'll be running close to clipping all the time, and the built-in limiters that a lot of audio interfaces have are made for protection from much more problematic digital clipping, not for transparency or a good sound. Running a compressor before the DI interface allows me to control the dynamic range and keep my signal closer to nominal voltage. Which is also why I really have to have a "Compression" knob in addition to "Level," because if I'm using a single-coil equipped guitar I will not be using the same settings as with a high-output humbucker equipped one. So that's an example of a usage which is strictly a matter of utility.

In an amplifier situation, they can be useful (for example) as a solo boost if their level can do unity or better, to increase the sustain and (in a roundabout way) add some gain to the final result. Many made-for-guitar compressors also have a particular character to the compression that's built-in to the circuit, so they have an almost "effect" sound to them and for some people it really becomes a part of their tone so the compressor always stays on (like a lot of people who use the BBE Sonic Stomp, if they get along with what it does they usually don't just turn it on and off whenever, it's simply a part of their sound).

It's just another tool in the arsenal. The Orange Squash is a FET-style compressor, I think it'll be a good addition. I like that it allows you to manually adjust the amount of compression level in addition to the output level. I can get by with two knobs but except for in very special cases (like the opto-comp built into the Liquid Blues, which is designed to work perfectly with the rest of the tube-based preamp circuitry) I wouldn't find a one-knob compressor very handy.

Funny you should ask about high gain, though, they're actually MUCH less useful in my opinion for high gain than for anything else because when going into a high gain amp, you can count on the compression to happen in the actual gain and distortion. A compressor in those situations is more likely to result in an unusably high noise-floor as it amplifies electrical noises that would otherwise be very low in the background. Probably the most prolific users of compressors are bassists and country guitarists, actually.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Mar 7, 2009

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Agreed posted:

Funny you should ask about high gain, though, they're actually MUCH less useful in my opinion for high gain than for anything else because when going into a high gain amp, you can count on the compression to happen in the actual gain and distortion. A compressor in those situations is more likely to result in an unusably high noise-floor as it amplifies electrical noises that would otherwise be very low in the background.

You just don't understand metal, maaaaaaan

:black101:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

ZombiePeanut posted:

You just don't understand metal, maaaaaaan

:black101:

Edited my post for a more comprehensive reply, although to be honest I always wonder whether I should reply to you because it's hard to tell when you're trolling.

At least Stux makes it easy on us...

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Agreed posted:

Edited my post for a more comprehensive reply, although to be honest I always wonder whether I should reply to you because it's hard to tell when you're trolling.

At least Stux makes it easy on us...

Eh... really, I'm not a troll. That was just a joke (metal is just noise? hurr). I really tried to make it as obvious as possible. I was genuinely curious about the point of the things and so thanks for the info.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Some more non-metal guitarists of the past who have used this the compressor this one is ripping off, in particular (which is now sold out, too, really thank you for the heads-up Mono as I'd have hated to miss this one), include Jeff Baxter (Steely Dan and the Doobie Brothers) and Mark Knopfler. Dire Straits first two albums signal paths started with his strat and the Orange Squeezer.

The original unit (reissue here for $60) had no control over the compression at all and only an internal volume control. The other new one does have an external volume control, for only $60 more apparently. What a deal! The biggest improvement BBE has made is the addition of the "Bias" knob which adjusts the compression level, which I talked about earlier.

Although it appears that Dan Armstrong has a whole range of pedals most of which have little to no external adjustment. And all his stuff looks to be on clearance, as well, probably no coincidence there...

One of the reasons guitarists liked the Orange Squeezer, by the way, is that it doesn't lower your bass so much and the resulting tone is sort of like "your guitar, but better" instead of being squashed. Not good for everything, obviously, especially since the originals (and the official reissues) have no adjustable compression.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 7, 2009

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Agreed posted:

One of the reasons guitarists liked the Orange Squeezer, by the way, is that it doesn't lower your bass so much and the resulting tone is sort of like "your guitar, but better" instead of being squashed. Not good for everything, obviously, especially since the originals (and the official reissues) have no adjustable compression.

hm... I do kind of like the non adjustable one in a weird way. Like someone asks "what's that box do", and you're just all "I dunno, it just makes it sound better."

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

It took a year but I finally am getting these monday:

Click here for the full 700x517 image.

Click here for the full 700x520 image.

18"

Click here for the full 700x500 image.

13"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

mono posted:

Sold out already :(

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Well my sister gave this to me as a birthday present. So now that I'm getting all the gear to be a rock god. I just need the skills so back to practicing lol.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Agreed posted:

Some more non-metal guitarists of the past who have used this the compressor this one is ripping off, in particular (which is now sold out, too, really thank you for the heads-up Mono as I'd have hated to miss this one), include Jeff Baxter (Steely Dan and the Doobie Brothers) and Mark Knopfler. Dire Straits first two albums signal paths started with his strat and the Orange Squeezer.

The original unit (reissue here for $60) had no control over the compression at all and only an internal volume control. The other new one does have an external volume control, for only $60 more apparently. What a deal! The biggest improvement BBE has made is the addition of the "Bias" knob which adjusts the compression level, which I talked about earlier.

Although it appears that Dan Armstrong has a whole range of pedals most of which have little to no external adjustment. And all his stuff looks to be on clearance, as well, probably no coincidence there...

I absolutely love the Orange Squeezer clone I built. You're absolutely right about it just having a "Your Guitar but Better" sound. I was kind of worried because it didn't have a variable compression, but honestly I don't really miss it; the pedal is just kind of one of those "Throw it on for something extra" pedals, for when you don't want to do any fiddling or tweaking.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

West Ham Sandwich posted:

It took a year but I finally am getting these monday:

Click here for the full 700x520 image.

18"
'sup 18" A Custom crash buddy? :cool: I haven't played on or heard those hats, but I love the A Custom crashes.

My contribution:

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Epiphone Les Paul Junior. Guitar Center is having their Green Tag “select items are at least 50% off” sale, plus the 10% coupon that I got in the mail made this too good to pass up ($90!!). I'm no guitarist, but it's fun to noodle with.

One thing about it though (and maybe I'll make a separate thread): the edges of the metal frets are actually kind of rough, and I'm scraping the bejesus out of my fingers. Is filing them down somehow a good/bad idea?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Sasquatch! posted:

One thing about it though (and maybe I'll make a separate thread): the edges of the metal frets are actually kind of rough, and I'm scraping the bejesus out of my fingers. Is filing them down somehow a good/bad idea?

That's very common with imported guitars - a combination of change in humidity and poor filing in the first place. If you're not familiar with the procedure I'd take it to a local tech.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Sasquatch! posted:

'sup 18" A Custom crash buddy? :cool: I haven't played on or heard those hats, but I love the A Custom crashes.

I've messed around with the hats and they sound amazing. The mastersound series is incredible for the style of music I play.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

So I'm a beginning drummer who got his start playing Rock Band. I upgraded to one of those Ion Drum rocker kits and am slowly in the process of adding to it and replacing crap parts in it. I'm currently building two custom e-drums to add to the kit.

I have to go electric because I live in an apartment that makes it impossible to play real drums in. I also want to have cross compatibility with Rock Band.

The biggest problem is finding a decent, affordable drum brain. The basic options offered by Roland and others are far too basic, and the better models you get the faster the price climbs.

Which is why I love craigslist. I found a Roland TD-6 for $200 (New ones go for around $350-$450, depending on where you look). Of course, my small rack is so full that I don't have anywhere to mount it right now.

I just need to wait for one other part for my drums before I finish building them and then I'll show them off.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

warwick5s posted:

That's very common with imported guitars - a combination of change in humidity and poor filing in the first place. If you're not familiar with the procedure I'd take it to a local tech.
For a sub-$100 guitar? Eh, I'll either live with it or carefully dremel 'em. Thanks for the info, though.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Sasquatch! posted:

For a sub-$100 guitar? Eh, I'll either live with it or carefully dremel 'em. Thanks for the info, though.

Don't use a dremel for the love of pete. Get a little set of needle files from Home Depot and do it slowly and carefully and then polish the fret ends with some 1000 grit sandpaper or maybe some 0000 steel wool.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30Ce327Kiws&feature=channel

This guy will show you the basics on how to do it. He also has 2 videos for setting up your guitar (set and floyd rose).

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Gramps / EvilBeard: Duly noted, and thanks for the info! I'll rustle up one of them fine/needle files and give it a whirl.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I posted a crummy cellphone picture a while back, but I got my Agile Valkyrie III in Silverburst. It played pretty well right out of the box. I had to adjust a little intonation, but it was drat near perfect. No sharp frets, the action was set right, and it feels nice. I'm going to buy a set of DiMarzio D-Activator pickups for it, and hopefully, IRS willing soon, buy a Blackstar HT-5H ministack and Boss ME-70 pedal to play with it. :black101:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

New guitar day -- Alvarez 5024, also known as the Alvarez Dove! Mine dates to 1975. Really, really nice sounding for a fraction of the price of the (admittedly excellent) Gibson.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Also, EvilBeard, it's a bit hard to tell from those pictures but the silver burst looks really nice! I really enjoy the Agile silverbursts and kind of want one.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rashomon posted:

Also, EvilBeard, it's a bit hard to tell from those pictures but the silver burst looks really nice! I really enjoy the Agile silverbursts and kind of want one.

Yeah, the lighting in my house is terrible for picture taking. :( It's very good looking. For $279, I think it's a steal.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Blackheart BH5-112 for $240cdn. :q:

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

Handen posted:

Blackheart BH5-112 for $240cdn. :q:

I have that amp and love it.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Pretty much decided that my next guitar is going to be this beast. Tuned BEADGBEA. I'll keep the stock pups and see how I feel about them before buying new ones.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

gotly posted:

I have that amp and love it.

Have you done any mods? Changed the tubes or anything?

Here's that GK-3 I picked up in Calgary yesterday.

Originally I was going to put it on my GMB Jaguar HH, but the bridge on that is so low that I would have had to have taped the divided pickup to its pickguard and not have the stability of the TOM bridge attachment. I might swap it around in the future, but for now I'll see how this works.

Timage
Feb 6, 2006

Click here for the full 700x500 image.

13"

You must tell me what these are like and if possible produce a sound clip. I'm looking at 13"s myself and was thinking about these. I envy you and your purchases.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Timage posted:

You must tell me what these are like and if possible produce a sound clip. I'm looking at 13"s myself and was thinking about these. I envy you and your purchases.

I get them today and I will be sure to atleast let you know, soundclip may be iffy.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Last week I decided that I had grown old and out of the 303 sound. I love the bassline to Rideback by MELL but still. I tried to get money for my MAM MB33 but I had no luck until today.

Roland S-330 and Yamaha TX16w with system disks (Tyhphoon2000 for the Yammy of course) in working ready to run condition in exchange for a 303-clone I got for free, because of crackling knobs that were easily repaired. Not bad for someone who's completely and utterly skint.

The cool thing about the S-330 is the monochrome video output and mouse (MSX standard) control that lets you do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtei1cBk2mI : and many other things. Just spent 30 minutes with it hooked up to a capture-card, and goddamn. Powerful and filled with potential. 750 kilobytes of RAM, I'm going to use it for pads and analogue'y bits.

The TX16w meanwhile has more mechanic, less warm filtering, but it's faster and easier to use with just the front panel and LCD. Typhoon2000 really does it for this machine. Gonna let it roll with sampled instruments in my setup, and let the KP3 play longer higher quality vocal samples.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Mar 9, 2009

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Amplitube: Fender update

I've got Amplitube Fender clips up over at my blog. Will Chen, editor of FrugalGuitarist and the guy who can go in and edit the review to include these clips eventually, is out of town or they'd be up on Frugal. Until he gets back they'll be on the blog. I'm also taking requests for anything I missed, if y'all wanted to hear something that isn't there.

Even if you're not interested in amp modeling generally, I encourage you to check this out. It's definitely got some of the most authentic sounding stuff I've ever heard, let alone made happen myself. It isn't going to be too long, in my opinion, before even skeptics are going to recognize the power of software ITB modeling, even if just for things like reamping, etc.

This is IK's Fender page, if you're curious, and if you missed my review it's here, at FrugalGuitarist.

tommej
Apr 18, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I picked up one of those Yamaha TVL SA503s that Guitar Center was blowing out for $500. Got one of my old co-workers to match it down to $400.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-SA503-TVL-Troy-Van-Leeuwen-Signature-Electric-Guitar-512447-i1168013.gc

The p90s aren't vintage voiced, which feels odd until you get used to them. Good cleans, loves dirt. A few finish problems that don't bother me but i did find these two things. (linked for hugeness)

https://wi.somethingawful.com/03/03dd9732c197f1360a4544e9c404d5b53ea55fee.jpg
Weird red poo poo on the second fret. Too bright to be rust, maybe paint?

https://wi.somethingawful.com/bd/bde1ecf83cb39e8826b4472504620919259f2f8e.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/f5/f53768f92ccd5cf3ba6b53048d6efc08269d145b.jpg

the nut looks like it's fixed to the neck at an angle, possibly even repaired. And like the red poo poo on the second fret, I've never seen it before.

Bums me out because it's a pretty sweet guitar for the price.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

I get them today and I will be sure to atleast let you know, soundclip may be iffy.

the shop didn't have 13" mastersounds in, but they gave me a stupid deal on 14" mastersound and the 18" a custom together (240 and 160 respectively) so I'm not comlplaining. the 14" isn't as cutting as i'd like them to be but the closing tick is amazing sounding and they're some of the best hats i've heard, personally.

i wasn't able to find a china i liked. :saddowns: I hate overly washy chinas, anyone know a decent (read: not zbt) china for about 150 that isn't very washy/low pitched?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

tommej posted:

:swoon:

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

tommej posted:

What year/model is that? My '96 LP Custom looks exactly like that only with a bunch of wear on the gold plating around the bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:

h_double posted:

What year/model is that? My '96 LP Custom looks exactly like that only with a bunch of wear on the gold plating around the bridge.

It looks like a current Epiphone LP Custom.