Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. West
Jul 25, 2007

Of course I first had to kill the man with some ingenious plan
Looking for a strange sort of zoology book from at least twenty years ago. I remember it had a nice, leather binding and everything was done so professionally it felt like a field guide, but rather than any earthy creature inside there were just these incredibly detailed drawings and dissections of these prehistoric alien things. I remember one in particular that looked like a jellyfish around the size of an island that floated on the surface of the water and caught birds trying to land on its gigantic top. Also, if I remember correctly, there were two volumes: one for these prehistoric creatures and one for aliens. I honestly wish I had the gall to steal that thing in the third grade, because it was a real triumph in style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
I read this short story online a year or so ago it won some loving fiction contest but I can't seem to find it again. It was science fiction which I don't normally read and it involved the discovery of a little tiny loving probe in some old rock that had been sent from some alien civilization. The point of the story was that, due to the vast interstellar distances, direct contact between civilizations was impossible and the best an advanced civilization could do is send out trillions of tiny little probes and hope one of them ended up someplace where they could be discovered. It was really a great story but I can't find it to save my loving life right now.

baw fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 2, 2009

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Dr. West posted:

Looking for a strange sort of zoology book from at least twenty years ago. I remember it had a nice, leather binding and everything was done so professionally it felt like a field guide, but rather than any earthy creature inside there were just these incredibly detailed drawings and dissections of these prehistoric alien things. I remember one in particular that looked like a jellyfish around the size of an island that floated on the surface of the water and caught birds trying to land on its gigantic top. Also, if I remember correctly, there were two volumes: one for these prehistoric creatures and one for aliens. I honestly wish I had the gall to steal that thing in the third grade, because it was a real triumph in style.
Sounds like Wayne Barlowe. He wrote and illustrated a book called Expedition that has paintings and notes about the animal inhabitants of an imaginiary planet. He also did the Guide to Extraterrestrials, which contains pictures of aliens from various science fiction stories.

Dr. West
Jul 25, 2007

Of course I first had to kill the man with some ingenious plan
Oh my god I do believe you've found it. Added to my wish list already.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.

Elohssa Gib posted:

Was browsing at Barnes and Noble a couple years ago and I found a book in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section but forgot to write down the title. This was 2 or 3 years ago and from what I can remember it was a trade size book. If I remember right, the plot was about this farmer guy who gets some sort of summons to a school of magic and I think he enters though a door he shouldn't have been able to. He seemed to have some sort of druid like magic but never seemed to acknowledge that he did. There was also some plot about political intrigue and possibly a street fair where some Punch and Judy kind of show puts some sort of spell on one of the female main characters. Also the guy might have been old, I think he was married and then his wife died or something.

I didn't finish reading it but was it Convergence, Book 1 of the Blending by Sharon Green? One of the main characters is a farmer who is called to become an Adept and there is political intrigue.

Elohssa Gib
Aug 30, 2006

Easily Amused

Khisareth posted:

I didn't finish reading it but was it Convergence, Book 1 of the Blending by Sharon Green? One of the main characters is a farmer who is called to become an Adept and there is political intrigue.

No, I have all five of the Blending series, and it's sequel series the Blending Enthroned.

This book is most likely only 4 or 5 years old and when I was reading through it the book was trade size, so I think it had just come out.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
About 10 years ago, I picked up a book, The Building, at one of those giant book warehouse places. I remembered trying to read it, but it seemed horribly written and I never got far into it. I no longer have the book, but I cannot remember the author.

It took place in a run-down New York apartment building and was filled with a lot of weird people.

Anybody?

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
A couple of years ago I read a short story online which had been recommended from a thread on this forum...

It was about a man who worked in an office building. A couple of the other guys on his floor had started bringing nerf guns to work, and spent their days shooting at each other. Eventually more and more people on their floor got involved, and they all teamed up against another floor doing the same thing.

Things start getting out of hand, I can't remember the exact progression, but people slowly start bringing bigger and more dangerous weapons to work for this "war" and complex military tactics begin to be employed, and eventually the workers are bringing actual guns and killing each other.

It was such a great story, but I've been looking of and on for it for about a month... anyone know what it's called?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

About 10 years ago, I picked up a book, The Building, at one of those giant book warehouse places. I remembered trying to read it, but it seemed horribly written and I never got far into it. I no longer have the book, but I cannot remember the author.

It took place in a run-down New York apartment building and was filled with a lot of weird people.

Anybody?
I spent thirty seconds searching and found this. Is that what you're thinking of?

Edit: I presume you asked this because entering "building" into google or amazon didn't work, so for the record you're better off using something where you can choose to only match the beginning of a book title.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 7, 2009

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

mystes posted:

I spent thirty seconds searching and found this. Is that what you're thinking of?

Edit: I presume you asked this because entering "building" into google or amazon didn't work, so for the record you're better off using something where you can choose to only match the beginning of a book title.

Thanks, but that's not it. This book was horribly-written, so Eisner is out. That link doesn't seem to allow me to search for the phrase "The Building" as the only words in the title.

E: Found it using bookfinders.com and then located a copy on Amazon (for 1 cent - not a shocking price).

I'm tempted to buy a copy and taking another shot at it.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Mar 7, 2009

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Michael_B posted:

A couple of years ago I read a short story online which had been recommended from a thread on this forum...

It was about a man who worked in an office building. A couple of the other guys on his floor had started bringing nerf guns to work, and spent their days shooting at each other. Eventually more and more people on their floor got involved, and they all teamed up against another floor doing the same thing.

Things start getting out of hand, I can't remember the exact progression, but people slowly start bringing bigger and more dangerous weapons to work for this "war" and complex military tactics begin to be employed, and eventually the workers are bringing actual guns and killing each other.

It was such a great story, but I've been looking of and on for it for about a month... anyone know what it's called?
Escalation.

vvvv No prob! vvvv

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 7, 2009

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
Awesome! Thanks a lot!

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.

Elohssa Gib posted:

No, I have all five of the Blending series, and it's sequel series the Blending Enthroned.

This book is most likely only 4 or 5 years old and when I was reading through it the book was trade size, so I think it had just come out.

Sorry. :( If I come across anything else I'll post, but so far I'm stumped!

Okay, my time to ask a favor! I am thinking of a short story I read ages ago. It involved the narrator who was a man, a woman and another man. They were exploring caves for some legendary treasure, and come across a strange race of cave people/creatures. Once they shine their lights on them/bring one into light, they realize the "treasure" is the color of the creatures' eyes -- it is a color no one had ever imagined before. The narrator I think is shot trying to preserve the secret of the cave creatures, since scientists would wipe them out trying to capture this new color. The other man kills one and has it's head in a bag, and I think the woman turns on either the narrator or the other guy.

I used to think of this story and just wonder and wonder what a color no one has seen would look like. Now I can't remember the name or author :(

AberrantBassist
Aug 16, 2003

by Fistgrrl
I've Googled everything I can think of to find this book, but I can't find it at all, and I'm really intrigued.

This image was posted in one of the 'real book titles' threads in GBS, and I need this book, what is its real title?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

AberrantBassist posted:

I've Googled everything I can think of to find this book, but I can't find it at all, and I'm really intrigued.

This image was posted in one of the 'real book titles' threads in GBS, and I need this book, what is its real title?

One of Brian Lumley's Necroscope series, at a guess.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

AberrantBassist posted:

I recognize that cover image as being used for Brian Lumley's Necroscope, but I never read the book so I don't know if the description is correct.

LGBT War Machine
Dec 20, 2004

ooooohawwww Mildred
I concur, sounds like a description of Necroscope.

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004
Okay, I think I'm going insane. I was trying to explain to my boyfriend that I get really freaked out by any sort of hand injuries (we just watched The Wrestler, he cuts his thumb on a meat slicer and I was freaking out about it).

I distinctly remember reading a book wherein someone either had a fingernail removed or had bamboo shoved under their fingernail- something like that- perhaps it was just a threat. I also remember that one of the characters idly threatened to castrate another character in this book.

I would've sworn on my mother's grave that this was Lord of the Flies- but *everyone* agrees that I'm wrong. So the book must have some similarities to Lord of the Flies- either that or I got the books mixed up. But I remember there being a desert-island type setting, warring factions of survivors, young people...

It's a stretch, but does this sound familiar to anyone? I used to read a book or three a week when I was in Junior High/High School, so some of the books have faded together in my memory.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Someone once told me about a book about this guy who kidnaps hitler and keeps him in a cage...

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

I read a book that was well above my reading level when I was in middle school I believe. It was a fiction novel I believe about a boy and girl he met that had experience with the fourth dimension and moving ata or kata through space. She eventually comes to teach him how to move himself.

Details are sketchy and that's the best I can remember. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SynMoo posted:

I read a book that was well above my reading level when I was in middle school I believe. It was a fiction novel I believe about a boy and girl he met that had experience with the fourth dimension and moving ata or kata through space. She eventually comes to teach him how to move himself.

Details are sketchy and that's the best I can remember. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be?

The Boy Who Reversed Himself, by William Sleator. And I think you have it backwards- the boy is the dimension traveller, who teaches the girl.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

sex offendin Link posted:

The Boy Who Reversed Himself, by William Sleator. And I think you have it backwards- the boy is the dimension traveller, who teaches the girl.

Amazing. Thank you so much.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I read this book in the UK about 15 years ago, I'm pretty sure it was a collection of short sci fi by a bunch of different authors, and most of the stories were pretty good. However there were at least three that dealt with pedophilia as a reasonable and accepted behavior at some point in the future. It was loving weird and I really want to know the authors and if there was a reason for this. (I'm pretty sure it wasn't Piers Anthony)
If it helps one of the stories was about a day at the beach with the protagonist and her five year old girlfriend.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

yaffle posted:

I read this book in the UK about 15 years ago, I'm pretty sure it was a collection of short sci fi by a bunch of different authors, and most of the stories were pretty good. However there were at least three that dealt with pedophilia as a reasonable and accepted behavior at some point in the future. It was loving weird and I really want to know the authors and if there was a reason for this. (I'm pretty sure it wasn't Piers Anthony)
If it helps one of the stories was about a day at the beach with the protagonist and her five year old girlfriend.

Could possibly be the anthology Dangerous Visions or its sequel, Again, Dangerous Visions. These were edited by Harlan Ellison with the idea of containing all "taboo breaking" stories. I don't remember any paedophilia in DV (plenty of (adult) incest, though), but I haven't read ADV for a long time, and don't remember the stories in it.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
Fairly recently, I discovered the whole post-apocalyptic realm of fiction, and I went around asking my friends for recommendations. One of them mentioned a book he couldn't recall the title of, but from his description it sounded pretty interesting. It's set far in the future when civilisation has rebuilt itself after some disaster or another, but no one remembers much about their predecessors. The sole remains of the past are roads. Since they're everywhere and don't seem to have a purpose, the new civilisation assumes that they were worshipped by their builders.
When he first told me about it, I googled it and I'm sure I found more information than I can find on it now, but not a title: just a couple of other people trying to remember what the book was.

Edit: Found it! http://www.amazon.com/Eternity-Road-Jack-Mcdevitt/dp/0061054275
As such, feel free to ignore this post.

naptalan fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 17, 2009

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
A book (novella, really) I read a couple years ago that I'm pretty sure was written in the sixties. Italian author, I think, but written in English. I don't remember the details of the plot, but it's a mother and her son at a boarding house, the mother is getting involved in an affair with a traveling salesman(?), there's a disapproving Eastern European woman involved as well, possibly runs the boarding house. A ridiculously good book, very funny and sad and sexy, I think the title contains the word "starlight", but I haven't been able to find it by that.

Another book (a massive tome this time) by the same author that I never finished was very funny and absurd, but failed to keep me interested. It was just about a group of acquaintances that hung out at a bar (or possibly a cafe) in New York, they all had nicknames, and nothing much really happened.

Edit: It just came to me, Aberration of Starlight, by Gilbert Sorrentino (I was wrong about publication date). Goddamn it's a good book.

Holy poo poo, his son was the guy that wrote Believeniks!: 2005: The Year We Wrote a Book About the Mets with Jonathan Lethem. I guess I should read some of his son's books, then.

Ballsworthy fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 17, 2009

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Sci-fi book. Alien ships land at various points on the earth, scientists and the military are trying to figure them out. I think all electrical gear stops working within a close radius to the craft, at one point a probe thing comes out and walks around, and when they send someone inside the ship it makes them insane. The book ends with the aliens seemingly shutting down anything electrical on the entire planet.

Read it years ago but the title escapes me.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Foxy Stoat posted:

Sci-fi book. Alien ships land at various points on the earth, scientists and the military are trying to figure them out. I think all electrical gear stops working within a close radius to the craft, at one point a probe thing comes out and walks around, and when they send someone inside the ship it makes them insane. The book ends with the aliens seemingly shutting down anything electrical on the entire planet.

Read it years ago but the title escapes me.

Maybe Patrick Tilley's Fade-Out, certainly the details I remember match, but likewise I read it years ago.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Hobnob posted:

Maybe Patrick Tilley's Fade-Out, certainly the details I remember match, but likewise I read it years ago.

That's it. Cheers.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
I keep remembering a bad fantasy novel I read about a dozen years ago and never found again; it's been driving me crazy. The overall plot was something about the characters being trapped in a town full of undead. The final scene had them running up a giant pyramid of skulls while fighting the undead so that the sunlight would save them faster. It worked and they left town, so it was probably part of a series.

Anybody?

Omegauo
Nov 4, 2003
Can't for the life of me remember the name of this short story:

Basic plot is the main character works in a used book store of some kind. The owner is a kooky gentleman who has a 'secret' book of sorts that he refuses to share. Eventually, the main character finds it and reads it. The secret is that no one ever actually dies, somehow quantum physics makes this impossible. Everyone else dies, but it impossible for you yourself to stop existing.

This is eventually realized to be true, as by chance the main character is the only human alive eons in the future, kept alive in stasis or something. He is eventually woken up by aliens who explain all of humanity is gone, and offer to 'end' his life by absorbing his mind into theirs.

This would be a fairly recent story, but I can't remember if it's from a book I own, or from the library. Been searching through my collection with no luck.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Omegauo posted:

Can't for the life of me remember the name of this short story:

Basic plot is the main character works in a used book store of some kind. The owner is a kooky gentleman who has a 'secret' book of sorts that he refuses to share. Eventually, the main character finds it and reads it. The secret is that no one ever actually dies, somehow quantum physics makes this impossible. Everyone else dies, but it impossible for you yourself to stop existing.

This is eventually realized to be true, as by chance the main character is the only human alive eons in the future, kept alive in stasis or something. He is eventually woken up by aliens who explain all of humanity is gone, and offer to 'end' his life by absorbing his mind into theirs.

This would be a fairly recent story, but I can't remember if it's from a book I own, or from the library. Been searching through my collection with no luck.

I've read this, and I think it's Robert Charles Wilson's 'Divided by Infinity', but I've just moved house and can't find it to check at the moment. See if this rings a bell.

Omegauo
Nov 4, 2003
YES!!!

Thank you it was in Starlight 2

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
My girlfriend was telling me of short story about a man working in a office setting in the early 19th or 20th century. His co-worker keeps trying to kill himself by jumping out of a window. It turns out the co-worker was a ghost. She said it was part of an anthology.

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008
When I was in elementary school, (during the early 80's), we read an apocalyptic science fiction novel about a disease that ravages the planet which kills humans when they reach puberty. The story itself revolves around two camps of kids (the basically good vs. bad death struggle) and it had sort of a Lord of the Flies feel to it. I can't remember the drat name of the book. I believe the 'good kids' barricaded themselves in a school to protect themselves from the feral little bastards.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

IceNiner posted:

When I was in elementary school, (during the early 80's), we read an apocalyptic science fiction novel about a disease that ravages the planet which kills humans when they reach puberty. The story itself revolves around two camps of kids (the basically good vs. bad death struggle) and it had sort of a Lord of the Flies feel to it. I can't remember the drat name of the book. I believe the 'good kids' barricaded themselves in a school to protect themselves from the feral little bastards.
The Girl who Owned a City by OT Nelson?

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Morlock posted:

... I think I love you.
I read this a few years ago, and just recently I was reminded of it but I couldn't remember ANY details about the book. How odd to find it mentioned in Something Awful after not hearing anything about it for years. Thanks!

IceNiner
Jun 11, 2008

Morlock posted:

From the description on Amazon, that book was not published until 1995, although the story sounds similar. I definitely read the book I'm thinking of sometime in the early 80's. Thanks though.

edit: scratch that, I checked out the alternate versions and I can see it was actually written in the 70's! Thanks!

IceNiner fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 26, 2009

Devils Avocado
Mar 25, 2009

Adar posted:

I keep remembering a bad fantasy novel I read about a dozen years ago and never found again; it's been driving me crazy. The overall plot was something about the characters being trapped in a town full of undead. The final scene had them running up a giant pyramid of skulls while fighting the undead so that the sunlight would save them faster. It worked and they left town, so it was probably part of a series.

Anybody?

That sounds somewhat like Welcome to Dead House, the first book in the Goosebumps series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Devils Avocado posted:

That sounds somewhat like Welcome to Dead House, the first book in the Goosebumps series.
This was more adult than that (maybe not by much, though.)