Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
After waiting for 2 days to make sure I had the right ring, BlueNile is now out of stock on the one I wanted. Are there any similar sites that I could find a similar ring? Looks like this, 1-1.5 carats in total weight, 3 stone setting, princess cut looking to spend $2-3k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
I can do that very easily. PM me your specifics or use the contact form on johnnybrookheart.com.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002
Anyone have any good recommendations on invite sites?

Wedding planning takes forever, crikey.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Splat posted:

Anyone have any good recommendations on invite sites?

Wedding planning takes forever, crikey.

Do you mean places to order invitations from???

http://www.myjeanm.com/
http://www.weddingpaperdivas.com/

Splat
Aug 22, 2002

GoreJess posted:

Do you mean places to order invitations from???

http://www.myjeanm.com/
http://www.weddingpaperdivas.com/

Yea, that's what I meant. Thanks!

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat
A piece of advice for those just starting on the invitation hunt:

If you have LOTS of money to spend on them, look at letterpress. Letterpress is lovely and very very popular right now.

If you do NOT have lots of money to spend on them, put letterpress out of your mind. You absolutely do not need to get letterpress invitations to have lovely invitations, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

teacherkate
Jun 28, 2008
I actually just went to a crafting thing last night with a friend and I've gotten it into my head that I want to make my invitations (and other paper product items) for my wedding.

Does anyone have any good resources for buying paper and envelopes in bulk? I'd like to just get some plain pieces in white or cream and then embellish and print them myself. I'm looking to try and save money by doing them myself.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

amethystbliss posted:

We got married this week! Our Barcelona elopement was absolutely gorgeous and the day was perfect.

To sum everything up, I'm from America and he's from England and visa requirements are quite strict. It was too difficult to get everyone in the same location, and we have to legally get married within 90 days, so we decided to elope! We thought it was more spontaneous to elope abroad than in the U.S. so we had a nonlegal ceremony in Barcelona and will have our legal wedding in the States a week from today.

[...]

Immigration!

You can't see it, but I'm doing the first shake, too- we're American / Scottish. I'm waiting for the Certificate of Approval, after which I've got the 90 days to get married.

I haven't really figured out how we're not inviting everyone, considering his family only lives 20 minutes away. But most of mine refuse to fly for reasons ranging from 'I get bloated on planes' to 'I was on an airplane that was hijacked in the 70s and was picked to relay the demands'.

I'm glad to see other people eloping and having parties later. I have less of a problem with it than the boy does, and like the ability to comfort him with pictures of other people so I can say that there ARE actually other people doing it.

Ambellina
Dec 6, 2005

Those who ride against us will be murdered where they stand
Okay, I've been lurking in this thread for a long time, and I finally have a question. My very best friend is getting married September 2010. She and I plan to make her cake. Has anyone else done this? I am just wondering how difficult the process is going to be. It will probably be a 4 tiered cake with fondant and she is going to use something to make a henna pattern on it.

Just curious about other people's experiences with making their own cake. Thanks!

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

teacherkate posted:

I actually just went to a crafting thing last night with a friend and I've gotten it into my head that I want to make my invitations (and other paper product items) for my wedding.

Does anyone have any good resources for buying paper and envelopes in bulk? I'd like to just get some plain pieces in white or cream and then embellish and print them myself. I'm looking to try and save money by doing them myself.

Here are the resources I got from friends. I haven't used any of them, so I can't give a personal thumbs up, but my friends did have good experiences.

http://www.paper-source.com/
http://www.paperandmore.com/
http://cardsandpockets.com/

Regular craft stores like Michael's & Hobby Lobby are also good resources for DIY invitations.

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream

Ambellina posted:

Okay, I've been lurking in this thread for a long time, and I finally have a question. My very best friend is getting married September 2010. She and I plan to make her cake. Has anyone else done this? I am just wondering how difficult the process is going to be. It will probably be a 4 tiered cake with fondant and she is going to use something to make a henna pattern on it.

Just curious about other people's experiences with making their own cake. Thanks!

Making your own wedding cake doesn't have to be hard, though it will be harder than expected with all of the events in the couple days before the wedding. That said, unless y'all are pretty seasoned at using fondant and decorating, this cake seems like it will be a nightmare to prepare before a wedding.

Estimate each layer taking at least an hour to frost, roll and lay the fondant, plan and trace intricate henna patterns.
Baking the cakes and making the base frosting for 4 tiered (2 layers in each tier?) is an all day process in itself.

You can start about 5 days ahead but make sure you use a darn good cake recipe that will be ok with waiting around for a while. Same can be said of the filling. Do a trial run with a tier wayyyy in advanced to see how the timing goes and how well the cake stands up after a few days.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

GoreJess posted:

Here are the resources I got from friends. I haven't used any of them, so I can't give a personal thumbs up, but my friends did have good experiences.

http://www.paper-source.com/
http://www.paperandmore.com/
http://cardsandpockets.com/

Regular craft stores like Michael's & Hobby Lobby are also good resources for DIY invitations.

I haven't used any of these myself, as shipping to Canada is always an issue, but price-wise cardsandpockets.com looked really good to me. Paper Source is place that I've seen recommended a lot, but they're a bit more steep.

I'd definitely recommend buying online if you can, though, and not at Michaels. For larger projects, they tend to lack the quantity, and their prices are pretty high for scrapbooking paper and envelopes and such. They have some nice new sets of premade invitations, but they come in tiny packs and they rarely have more than a couple of each on hand. Maybe it's better in the states, but here it's hard to find much in decent quantities.

teacherkate
Jun 28, 2008
The workshop I went to was at a Paper Source store. Their paper was nice and I got a lot of great ideas, but some of it can be a little expensive.

Thanks for the websites. I want to be able to buy in bulk. Right now I'm just trying to get resources and things together since I'm not getting married until July 2010! But since I like being crafty and since we're planning on about 200 people I'm going to need some time.

My fiancee's sister is very artistic and is going to design a monogram for us that I'm going to make into a stamp that I can use to stamp and emboss onto the invitations, programs, etc.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

We got one more image from the photographer! He said the rest may be a while so I figured I'd go ahead and post it for those of you who were interested in seeing more. It's a bit photoshop heavy, but I think it's really unique.

Note: I didn't wear that silly hat all day. It was just a dramatic prop I brought for photos.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Hi, all! I'm getting married May 23, and the planning is only really getting underway--I know, I know, bad bride. :shobon: Anyway, I'm doing wedding cake test baking, and I really have no idea of how to frost the drat thing. I don't want buttercream frosting because real buttercream is kinda yellow, and it's a summer wedding in Southern California=oh noes the melting! If I just want to get the thing simply covered, is fondant doable? And if so, does it taste disgusting? I'm doing just a simple three-layer cake, frost it white, dump organic rose petals over it. plz halp!

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Be careful on the DIY stuff. My wife and I decided to make our own wedding invitations, out of laser engraved walnut veneer. I had access to the veneer and a laser engraver because I was an industrial design student at the time. We did letterpress printing for the reply card and envelopes, my wife did all of the graphics design.

I say be careful because the invites turned out so well, and we got such insanely good feedback, that we launched a business making them for other people. You never know where a DIY project can lead you.

Our stuff is at http://www.oslopress.com/wedding-invitations.html our invitation was the willow design. If it is not cool to self promote like this let me know and I will edit this part out.

BTW, total cost was somewhere between 5k-7k for the entire wedding and it was at an amazing venue, with amazing food. Key cost saving measure: Get married in January.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
Those are fantastic invitations. I love the veneer, and good show.

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004
I like turkey and ham sandwiches

GEMorris posted:

Be careful on the DIY stuff. My wife and I decided to make our own wedding invitations, out of laser engraved walnut veneer. I had access to the veneer and a laser engraver because I was an industrial design student at the time. We did letterpress printing for the reply card and envelopes, my wife did all of the graphics design.

I say be careful because the invites turned out so well, and we got such insanely good feedback, that we launched a business making them for other people. You never know where a DIY project can lead you.

Our stuff is at http://www.oslopress.com/wedding-invitations.html our invitation was the willow design. If it is not cool to self promote like this let me know and I will edit this part out.

BTW, total cost was somewhere between 5k-7k for the entire wedding and it was at an amazing venue, with amazing food. Key cost saving measure: Get married in January.

God, now my invitations look like poo poo.

Kumon
Jan 29, 2009
I would like to post a review on forum member, JohnnyRNR who in the past month has been helping me figure out a loose diamond to buy for my girlfriend. After JRNR was in contact with me, I was greeted with some of the best customer service I have ever really had the pleasure to do business with. We mainly worked through PM, and his responses were quick and informative. After a little bit of research, I gave him what I wanted price wise, and 4C wise, and he gave me a couple options of loose diamonds. After shopping around the prices that he gave me on places like bluenile and pricescope, I determined that the comparable diamonds on those websites to the prices Johnny gave me; I was saving over a $1000.00 going with him.

He was able to give me the GIA certs to look at in regards to the particular diamonds and I had questions on what a cloud was or what an optimal table and depth would be, and he was EXTREMELY quick to respond any question I had with his own opinion as well as websites for me to reference off of.

Honestly, I was extremely apprehensive about buying from someone online, that I have never met, but then reading this thread about how much price gouging happens at brick and mortars, I opted buy from an online source. I asked Johnny to send me some references from people that have used him in the past and he sent me two SA forum members that send me an email as well as PMs, and both gave him rave reviews. I got lucky in using SA to find such a reputable seller and I decided to get the diamond from Johnny.

After using his website, he UPS over nightted the diamond to me in packaging that would compare to Fort Knox honestly (try triple packaging). He kept PMing me also to make sure that I had gotten the package and verifying the diamond as well as giving me status updates on where the diamond was. I received the diamond with no flaws.

I am using a alternative name to post this to keep my girlfriend from finding out what I am doing because she surfs SA also :tinfoil:. If you have further questions about my experience with JohnnyRNR, or don't believe that this review, feel free to reply to my post and I will PM you with my other account.

Thanks JohnnyRNR!

BTW, I will post pics of the ring when it is made later on.

Kumon fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 11, 2009

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

LittleCat posted:

If you do NOT have lots of money to spend on them, put letterpress out of your mind. You absolutely do not need to get letterpress invitations to have lovely invitations, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

If you have any background in photoshop, it's not too difficult to make something nice.. I've taken elements from a few invitations we have seen in the past and did a vectoring of something my fiance really liked.. Since I did them by hand myself, I also had the elements to use in the reply cards and table cards as well..

I got simple blank invitation stock (50 invitations, 50 envelopes, 50 return cards, 50 return card envelopes) using a 50% off coupon at ACMoore.. 2 of those boxes together cost me $30 for 100 invitations.

I have my own color laser printer so printing was free, (after beating the piss out of it for not accepting custom paper sizes right!!! Ugh.

Ignore the black borders and the background color, those are just there for alignment. The actual invitation paper is an off white with an embossed glossy border where the black lines will be..

Haven't quite finalized it all yet, but this is close to what they will be like when they go out soon. Total cost (before postage) will be $30.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

That's a lovely invitation set, FidgetyRat.

I really wanted to do my own invitations, but I couldn't find a good source for paper/printing. I'm really happy with what I ended up with, but it would have been awesome to have the design elements to use in the other paper goods.

Also, GEMorris, your invitations are beautiful, and if I'd had an unlimited budget for invitations yours would certainly be a top choice. But I think you manage to beat out letterpress on the indulgence scale! It looks like they're well worth the cost, though.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

Sorry for the double post, but this just came up in my RSS reader, and it seems like a pretty useful idea for invitations on a budget:

http://www.printablepress.com/

Print-your-own invitations that are way classier than the ones you can buy at Michaels or Target or whatever. If you've got a good printer or a local Kinkos and no designer on hand, this could be a real money saving solution. I've seen it in a few other places, but I REALLY like her designs.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Just looked into SOCAN after finding out about it when we were looking for venues and throwing a tantrum at the moment when I saw the price difference for receptions between "Dancing" and "Without Dancing."

Absolutely absurd.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Oh oh oh! I wanted to post my invites! I'll have to scan them tomorrow. I do have a bright-yellow header version of the stamp that we used on the back of the envelopes.

Big image.

I am lucky in that my MOH is a killer graphic designer. She makes things pretty for me. I'm also lucky in that she took over for me on a few things in the month since my accident, so I'm not as behind as I would otherwise be. I really only got back into the swing of life last week. She and my PA are currently on making my headpiece and those for my party, and I'm onto making all my crepe paper flowers and the wedding site.

Fortunately, I will be walking before my wedding, albeit with a limp. Unfortunately, I cannot wear the beautiful, lovely heels that I ordered. I replaced them with basic yellow pumps today. I will also have to have my dress refitted to make up for the difference in height and the 15 pounds I lost.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

LittleCat posted:

Also, GEMorris, your invitations are beautiful, and if I'd had an unlimited budget for invitations yours would certainly be a top choice. But I think you manage to beat out letterpress on the indulgence scale! It looks like they're well worth the cost, though.

Thanks (both to you and to the previous commenters) for the feedback! Yes they are a "premium" product, and the price does reflect the amount of labor that goes into them. I wish we got more all-paper orders, because letterpress printing is a breeze compared to the veneer. We examine everything that goes out the door with a loupe. We need to find a way to upsell our crazy obsessive compulsive perfectionist behavior.

I think you are doing pretty good in "premium craft" if you can honestly say: "we couldn't afford us either."

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

zap actionsdower! posted:

Fortunately, I will be walking before my wedding, albeit with a limp. Unfortunately, I cannot wear the beautiful, lovely heels that I ordered. I replaced them with basic yellow pumps today. I will also have to have my dress refitted to make up for the difference in height and the 15 pounds I lost.

I'm looking forward to seeing the invitations!

It's good to hear that you'll be back on your feet in time for the wedding. I had a scare about my health in January, and I was so stressed that I'd be unwell for the wedding... it's frustrating to know that you can put thousands into a wedding and have it come apart due to something totally out of your control. Of course it sort of puts the wedding thing in perspective too: the important thing is that you made it through the accident okay and that you're recovering well!

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

GEMorris posted:

poo poo that is so loving neato.

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003

LittleCat posted:

I had a scare about my health in January, and I was so stressed that I'd be unwell for the wedding... it's frustrating to know that you can put thousands into a wedding and have it come apart due to something totally out of your control.
Try having a bone marrow transplant 5 months before your wedding. And 8 months after you've already put down the 2 grand deposit. My hair choices are looking like pixie cut or wig at the moment. :(

It kinda puts all the "omg my colours are slightly off on these napkins my day is ruined!!" bullshit into perspective for me. I've had to stop reading wedding blogs as I just want to loving slap them all on a regular basis and it's stressing me out. Thank god you're all sane in here.

Operatic Diva
Oct 29, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Does anyone know of the good wedding photographers in and around philadelphia?

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Operatic Diva posted:

We're using Marc Anthony photography.. He's based in south jersey, but does philly a ton. This guy is just plain fun to work with, reasonably priced, and is doing not only my wedding, but the weddings of 2 of my groomsmen as well.

http://www.premierweddings.tv/

He even includes an engagement photo session (we did ours at longwood gardens) and it was fun.

I can't say I can compare him to other photographers, because I don't have all that much experience, but we've been extremely happy so far, and I'll see him in action in 2 months at one my my friends actual wedding, then mine 2 months later if you don't need to make a choice just yet.

FidgetyRat fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Mar 13, 2009

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Okay, can someone give me some insight into the tuxedo vs. suit debate? Are tuxes really necessary? Will it look really strange if my fiance & his groomsmen aren't wearing identical black suits?

I'm having a hard time understanding why we should pay $150 to rent a tux for a day, when we could find a decent suit that he could wear again and again for just a little bit more. If we went the suit route, obviously they would all wear the same tie. I just don't want them to be under dressed.

Wedding background: late September wedding, ceremony in outdoor courtyard at 5:30 & reception immediately following at permanent tent in outdoor courtyard

doublebubble
Jan 19, 2009
In my opinion... Ditch the ring, get eloped, and have a big fuckin party after.

All that other crap is useless spending.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

GoreJess posted:

Okay, can someone give me some insight into the tuxedo vs. suit debate? Are tuxes really necessary? Will it look really strange if my fiance & his groomsmen aren't wearing identical black suits?

I'm having a hard time understanding why we should pay $150 to rent a tux for a day, when we could find a decent suit that he could wear again and again for just a little bit more. If we went the suit route, obviously they would all wear the same tie. I just don't want them to be under dressed.

Wedding background: late September wedding, ceremony in outdoor courtyard at 5:30 & reception immediately following at permanent tent in outdoor courtyard

I'd suggest they all wear the same colour suit, at least, to set them off from the other guests. That plus matching ties and matching boutonnières and I don't think you'd have a problem. Outdoor weddings don't seem to me to need to be super formal, so skipping the tuxes sounds pretty sensible.

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

GoreJess posted:

Suits are fine.

I'm trying to find a way to get my fiance to wear a seersucker suit, but I don't think he's down for it. It'd be perfect, though, we're getting married in the pecan orchard by the family's old plantation home in Georgia.

Maybe I can at least get a straw hat on him.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I was at a wedding last summer where the groomsmen just wore a white button down shirt and khakis. It was on a beach during the summer so a suit/tux would have turned them into little groomsmen puddles.

Wench
Aug 8, 2000
MONITOR != TOUCHSCREEN. DO NOT TOUCH THE MONITOR

Kiri koli posted:

Does anyone have an advice for long-distance planning? My mom will help out where she can, but there seems to be so much stuff we'll need to be present for.

Also, I've noticed a lot of Chicago-specific stuff throughout the thread...I don't know if the Chicago people are still watching the thread, but any advice/experience stories with venues/photographers/etc would be awesome! My first choice was the Chicago Botanic Gardens, but I don't think we can afford that.
Okay, so I know you posted a while ago, but Jethro and I just got married on the 7th, and we planned our wedding long-distance. Interestingly enough, we live in Massachusetts, and got married in Chicago.

I cannot recommend vendors that let you do things online enough. It makes it a LOT easier. We used Bella Pictures for our photography, and Tone Productions for our DJ. We loved both of them. Bella is a national chain, but has decent prices (and frequent specials), and lets you do everything online. One of the things I liked most is that in order to match you with one of their photographers, you rate actual wedding photos in their online tool so that they can determine your style. They match you, you check out the photographer, and if you don't like them, they re-match you. You can also do all of your portrait planning, etc. online. Everyone I worked with from them was very helpful, and we loved our photographer and can't wait to see the pictures. My sister-in-law the photographer also gave him her stamp of approval :)

As for the DJ, Tone actually did my wedding planner's wedding, so that was a hell of a recommendation right there. They also can do everything online (and will even do online/phone consultations and meetings). You set up your timeline, your no-play and must-play lists, your first dance song, all of that online. It could not be easier, and everyone raved about how awesome the music was at the reception. Again, highly recommended.

The other thing that really made it for us was my parents. They did do a fair amount of the groundwork, seeing as how they live in Chicago. I also did a few trips out there, in order to do things like find a dress, etc. (I think I spent a total of two weekends and Christmas break out there over the 11 months of planning.) Some of the stuff I did, not so necessary. But we wanted to do it and we could afford it, so hey. But I would say the keys are vendors that let you do things online or over the phone and are totally on top of that, and having someone on the ground to go do visits if necessary.

Oh, and on the subject of attendants... every single one of our attendants is living in a different state. We have Massachusetts, Illinois, Texas, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and California. It can be done.

Feel free to PM or IM (AIM: taubehavior) me any questions you might have; I still have a whole binder full of wedding stuff so it's not hard to find!

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

doublebubble posted:

In my opinion... Ditch the ring, get eloped, and have a big fuckin party after.

All that other crap is useless spending.

Um yeah, we're having a traditional wedding. Get over it.

"Littlecat posted:

I'd suggest they all wear the same colour suit, at least, to set them off from the other guests. That plus matching ties and matching boutonnières and I don't think you'd have a problem. Outdoor weddings don't seem to me to need to be super formal, so skipping the tuxes sounds pretty sensible.

They'd all definitely be in a black suit. I just need to have him check & see if they each have their own black suit already...They should but you never know.

King Skinny Pimp posted:

I'm trying to find a way to get my fiance to wear a seersucker suit, but I don't think he's down for it. It'd be perfect, though, we're getting married in the pecan orchard by the family's old plantation home in Georgia.

Maybe I can at least get a straw hat on him.

Personally, I think this would be great. If he doesn't go for seersucker, at least get him in a light colored suit. Linen would be really great too.

DubDisciple
Jan 9, 2005
Jah Jah never fail I yet

Operatic Diva posted:

We used Alan Harris. Was great, and the videographers he worked with were also great.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

So this weekend is my wedding weekend. My fiancee and I are so excited it all finally came together and we've got nothing left to do this week (other than get married). And we saved a tonne of money by:

- Using our ipod (or a backup laptop) to play the music instead of a DJ. My brother is the 'AV' guy to make sure the music plays properly
- Having my friend who is a photography nut take the wedding pictures
- Making/Printing our own invitations/website
- Getting the banquet room at the hotel comped (because we're having it in march)
- Keeping the number of guests at 40
- Having the ceremony in our parish
- Finding an AWESOME florist who gave us the best deal on "cherry blossom" flowers and table arrangements.

All in all (as the man) I was happy with the final cost of everything and it all working out in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003

GoreJess posted:

Nearly all the weddings I've been to have had suits and haven't looked out of place at all.

Oh, and notmartha's wedding blog had some great advice about wedding suit vs tux shopping recently.

Edit: and lawdy, the smitten kitchen blog has some awesome tips on making giant celebration cakes and freezing layers and stuff, too, if any of you are doing your own cake...

squirrellypoo fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 17, 2009