Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You want carb cleaner, not brake cleaner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

case
Mar 27, 2005

Photos from the track day I recently attended,

Click here for the full 640x427 image.

Great event, well run and the instructor I had was excellent. Few other cars from the day,

Elise with 310hp

Clio v6

KTM X-Bow

Run by motorsports-events.com at a local airfield, open pit and really friendly people. Timothy Spall was pushing his XJR hard round the track as well.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm officially one of those 'BMW pricks' now too.

Last night I closed a trade that ended with a '95 Blue (Azure?) M3 in the garage. 5 speed with 3.38 LSD rear. This will primarily be used as an autocross/track car, but it is street legal. Full suspension by Bimmerhaus, sitting on 17 x 8.5 lightweight Kosei wheels with 255/40x17 Yokahama's at all 4 corners.

It drives like a rocket-sled on rails, I don't think I'm going to miss the old race car too much.

I also have the original 3.18 LSD rear end, and the Vader power seats (not in the car - Corbeu race seats in the car).

If I decide to sell the original rear end (entire pumpkin assembly) and seats, what would be fair prices to ask for them? I may keep them to put in the car if I ever decide to sell it, but it would be useful to have an idea of their value.

I know zilch about BMW's (previous track car was a stripped full-on race 550hp Camaro), so this should be an interesting learning experience.

Thanks.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
That stock diff is a 315, and youll probably want to swap it back unless you mind being stuffed into a comically uncompetitive SCCA autocross class ( _SP).

That 338 should fetch a much better price on the market, 600-700 versus 300 for the 315.

Vaders should go for 400-700 depending on condition and features.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The car is already in STU, and the diff is legal for that since it was available on the car (at least I think so, I'm still going through the class rules).

The suspension has aftermarket springs, DA Koni's tuned by TC-Kline, and all poly bushings, so it's not going to be running in BS anytime soon. It also has an intake that's illegal in stock, as well as aftermarket ECU (and of course the front seat replacements).

It's pretty much built for STU, but not to the limits of the rules, and that's where I plan to run it for now.

I might get silly down the road and buy R-comps and run in BSP, but I'm not planning to spend that money anytime soon.

Thanks for the info.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Locator posted:

The car is already in STU, and the diff is legal for that since it was available on the car (at least I think so, I'm still going through the class rules).

Came stock in the auto tranny M3s, I believe. Dunno about legality there...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Nope no ratio changes allowed in ST_ classes. No backdating either.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Nope no ratio changes allowed in ST_ classes. No backdating either.

I was sort of suspecting that. Guess if I decide to run outside of the local events I've got some work to do.

Arwox
Mar 19, 2007

ynotony posted:

Verdict for any curious e36 owners. Keep this nugget of knowledge in the back of your head:

From what I've gathered from my independent mechanic, the internet, and the dealer: the tumbler and steering lock assembly are common failures that occurs after N number of key turns. An inevitability, really - even the receptionist lady new exactly what my problem was when I described it over the phone. It can be accelerated by a heavy key chain and by doing that jerky steering wheel thing you need to do once in awhile to get the key to turn. A stubborn key is a warning sign. My car is a 1994 and failed at 115k miles, and luckily it happened while parked conveniently at home.

Sometimes the two parts fail at the same time, sometimes one and then the other, but both will eventually fail - so most dealers and indie shops will recommend replacing both when either fails. Roughly $300 parts and 4 hours of labor because it involves taking apart the entire steering column and ordering a custom cut tumbler from Germany.

Be gentle during insertion boys.

I have to do the steering wheel jerk pretty much every time i start it up. :smith:

Hyphynotizer
Oct 25, 2004

Alright who wants AIDS?
2k6 325/330i good cars? I'm looking at picking on up with like 50k miles. the only other car i've picked out is a 2006 g35 coupe. which way to go?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Is the E39 5 series notably larger (interior+trunk in particular) than the E46 3 series? I'm happy enough with my E46 325i that I want to step up to a nicer BMW as soon as I get out from being upside-down on this, and right now my debate is between an E46 330i ZHP or a post-facelift 530i. At first glance, the E39 seems like the way to go. I carry a lot of stuff and can only expect my need for space to keep growing, especially as I add more permanently installed gear to my car like a carPC, ham radio, etc. Right now it's a tight fit with cables running all around up front for what I currently have.

e: also, are there any more "gotchas" to the I6 5 series versus the 3s? I will be sticking with a manual transmission, so the automatic issues don't concern me, and I know about the cooling system.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 8, 2009

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Pictures as promised. My cell camera blows and has awful color.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonny290/E36?feat=directlink

Edit: Now that I have photos, my wheel gap is bugging the poo poo out of me. Decent inexpensive spring suggestions? I have new struts waiting to be put in.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

wolrah posted:

Is the E39 5 series notably larger (interior+trunk in particular) than the E46 3 series? I'm happy enough with my E46 325i that I want to step up to a nicer BMW as soon as I get out from being upside-down on this, and right now my debate is between an E46 330i ZHP or a post-facelift 530i. At first glance, the E39 seems like the way to go. I carry a lot of stuff and can only expect my need for space to keep growing, especially as I add more permanently installed gear to my car like a carPC, ham radio, etc. Right now it's a tight fit with cables running all around up front for what I currently have.

e: also, are there any more "gotchas" to the I6 5 series versus the 3s? I will be sticking with a manual transmission, so the automatic issues don't concern me, and I know about the cooling system.

I've had both models, and the answer is "not much more". The back seat is a little wider, leg room is about the same, and the trunk is a touch bigger (4 golf bags instead of 3). It's bigger, but if you really want space, get the wagon or a 7-series. The E39 uses the same engine and manual transmission as the E46 cars (but with a mechanical cooling fan instead of electric), so no "gotchas" there.

Duck996S
Aug 7, 2003

I know what I'm doing

Hyphynotizer posted:

2k6 325/330i good cars? I'm looking at picking on up with like 50k miles. the only other car i've picked out is a 2006 g35 coupe. which way to go?

I just bought an 06 330i (40k miles) and been meaning to post my thoughts in this thread. It replaced my 98 e36 318i (185K miles no trouble other the usual e36 items).
So far the e90 has been pretty awesome. My research before I bought the car leads me to believe it *should* be pretty reliable...there are a couple I know of with north of 100K that have been trouble free save wear items and recalls...there have been quite a few recalls so make sure they have been done, esp. the steering column.

I choose a 330 because to me it's the last of the high powered NA 6s. I was tempted by a couple 335s, but the reliability of the 07s I could afford was suspect. Crazy fast though.

The 330 has 255 HP, and its super smooth with good torque. I live in the city and finally caved in and got a Steptronic...I actually like it and its fun to throw it into DS and hammer on it. Even does automagic rev matching. Gas mileage in town is terrible but low 30s highway.

Mines fully loaded, every option but Nav, which I didnt care about. Sport package is worth it for the seats alone...but the ride is pretty stiff in town. This should improve when I replace the stock 18" run flats with some Pilots. The brakes are SICK.

I love it, and picked it up for 20K in the DC metro area. That's ALOT of car for 20k.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Had my first repair this evening. Went out, started it up and got COOLANT LOW on the OBC.

poo poo. Blown radiator tank or something.

Nope!

The little 1/4" return line on the top of the radiator had popped off on the tank end right under the bleed screw and blew coolant everywhere. Fixed it in a few minutes.
Scared the gently caress out of me, though.

Dumb Q: I refilled with 50/50 standard antifreeze. Spring for a flush with BMW brand coolant? I hear that it's recommended but not essential to go with the BMW stuff.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Duck996S posted:

there have been quite a few recalls so make sure they have been done, esp. the steering column.
There is no recall for the steering column.

There are 5 recalls for the E90; 2 for the 330/325:
12 06 07 SI September 2007 Emissions Recall 07E-A01: N54 - Reprogramming Vehicle (DME) for OBD Diagnostic E90, E92
12 06 06 SI April 2007 Emissions Recall 06E-A01: N52, M54, M56-Reprog. Vehicle (DME) OBD Diagnostic E90, E91 and E60, E61 with N52 produced up to 10/04/2005
28 06 08 SI November 2008 Recall 08V-595: M3 with M DCT - Reprogramming for Incorrect DCT Clutch Operation E90, E92, E93
31 03 06 SI November 2006 Recall 06V-400, Check Tightening Torque of Front Axle Control Arms & Tie Rods - 325 and 330 models which were produced from 30 June 2006 through 14 July 2006

Don't run into the dealership demanding they perform a recall. If it needed it, it was probably already done. If it wasn't done, it will show up on the car's repair history and it will be performed. If it never needed it, it won't get done, no matter how many forum quotes and printouts you throw at them.;)

If you hate the dealership, you're buying the wrong car. E90s are not DIY-friendly. Get a CPO car, or don't bother.

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 9, 2009

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Jonny 290 posted:

Dumb Q: I refilled with 50/50 standard antifreeze. Spring for a flush with BMW brand coolant? I hear that it's recommended but not essential to go with the BMW stuff.

That is perfectly fine.

Yay for Calypso Red E36s.

Also, H&R Sport for springs. Copies of them are on mine.

Axor
May 8, 2007
Wait, what?
I need some assistance. 1991 E30 318iS.

I parked my car on Saturday and went to drive it today, but when I pushed the clutch in, it had absolutely no pressure behind it. This leads me to believe it's low on fluid (and/or has air in the lines?). It has occasionally had the friction point drop lower to the floor - indicating a leaking master cylinder.

Now - every manual I've read has said the clutch master takes fluid from the brake fluid resovoir. Can someone help me identify the thing with the blue cap on it in this picture please? I thought this was the fluid resovoir for the clutch. Does the fact that my car is RHD rather than LHD mean it may not take clutch fluid from the brake resovoir?

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

That bottle has a line that runs into the dash. Even if that isn't to do with the clutch at all, I need to work out what it is so I can top it up.

What should be my plan of attack to fix this? I was hoping to fill it up and bleed it, but don't know where the fluid should go. The clutch was replaced ~15,000km ago and is fine - so changing the master/slave is the worst it could be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

Mad Dragon posted:

:words:

He's probably talking about the ELV and all the other nonsense that isn't really a recall but there are bulletins over.

To customers, Bulletin == Recall.

You and I may not agree with it, but no amount of reasoning will ever change this line of thinking.

Duck996S
Aug 7, 2003

I know what I'm doing

Lufiron posted:

He's probably talking about the ELV and all the other nonsense that isn't really a recall but there are bulletins over.

To customers, Bulletin == Recall.

You and I may not agree with it, but no amount of reasoning will ever change this line of thinking.

Yep, sorry not trying to confuse anyone, meant bulletins (TSB?). Was specifically referring to early steering column issues that seem to plague these cars.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Duck996S posted:

Yep, sorry not trying to confuse anyone, meant bulletins (TSB?). Was specifically referring to early steering column issues that seem to plague these cars.
What I said about recalls also applies to bulletins. There has to be a problem (steering lock warning message with stored faults) before the dealership can fix anything, especially under warranty.

The whole ELV thing is retarded. Newer cars don't even have them, and there's no way to retrofit older cars to delete it. It's not a big deal for me; I can have the column out and replaced in about an hour without even popping the hood.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm getting a weird slow shaking at idle and it seems to be idling a sketch low - about 600 rpm.

Idle air valve? I've searched for photographic guides, but can't quite match up what's under my hood with the pictures. Any hints? S50M25 motor.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jonny 290 posted:

Any hints? S50M25 motor.

Google "E36 ICV DIY" -- it's a pain, I hear (gotta pull the intake manifold if you have big hands), but necessary on nearly every E36 by now.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm getting a weird slow shaking at idle and it seems to be idling a sketch low - about 600 rpm.

Idle air valve? I've searched for photographic guides, but can't quite match up what's under my hood with the pictures. Any hints? S50M25 motor.

http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/3-series-e36/diy-icv-idle-control-valve-cleaning-48667.html seems to be a good guide that doesn't require you to pull the intake manifold.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Beautiful. That's the one I found like 5 minutes ago, glad I have confirmation that it looks good.

I just hope it's this and not a coil pack :( I've never owned a CoP engine before and the only thing I know is horror stories of my friend's mkiv Golf, which somebody sold to him with two extra coil packs to prepare him for his first six months of owning it.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

S50M25 motor.

M50B25? S50B30? Is it an M3 or a 325?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Jonny 290 posted:

Beautiful. That's the one I found like 5 minutes ago, glad I have confirmation that it looks good.

I just hope it's this and not a coil pack :( I've never owned a CoP engine before and the only thing I know is horror stories of my friend's mkiv Golf, which somebody sold to him with two extra coil packs to prepare him for his first six months of owning it.

I could be wrong, but if it was a coil pack, I think it'd throw an engine code right away.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

CornHolio posted:

I could be wrong, but if it was a coil pack, I think it'd throw an engine code right away.

From what I'm reading '95 was the last year for OBD1 which doesn't detect misfires. I could be wrong, though.

Would I notice a really rough/lumpy idle/crappy acceleration with a bad coil,though? I would think so. Seems to be driving just fine. Plugs are new, PO says, but I may swap just to make sure.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 9, 2009

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
E36 coil packs aren't too failure prone but will die after long enough. They aren't too pricey either.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads

Mad Dragon posted:

What I said about recalls also applies to bulletins. There has to be a problem (steering lock warning message with stored faults) before the dealership can fix anything, especially under warranty.

The whole ELV thing is retarded. Newer cars don't even have them, and there's no way to retrofit older cars to delete it. It's not a big deal for me; I can have the column out and replaced in about an hour without even popping the hood.

Just some professional curiosity, but how do you replace a steering column without popping the hood on an e90? The only pain in the rear end part of the job is under the hood; removing the flange bolt on the column linkage at the firewall.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

peterjmatt posted:

Just some professional curiosity, but how do you replace a steering column without popping the hood on an e90? The only pain in the rear end part of the job is under the hood; removing the flange bolt on the column linkage at the firewall.

Pull off the rubber bushing and use a 12pt 8mm gear wrench (it will fit on the E10 bolt).

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Well, I think I found out the source of my pulsing/vibration around idle. 4 broken fins on my fan, all on one side.

I think I'm just going to replace the stock fan for now, I can worry about leet DTM Fan Delete Mods later on.

Edit: I got the fan off and indeed 4 blades are busted. Everything is smooth and no more vibration, so I'm sure that was the problem. Safe to highway drive it for a day to and from work and pick up a fan from the dealer on lunch? Does that aux fan come on due to heat and/or AC, or just AC?

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 10, 2009

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Jonny 290 posted:

Safe to highway drive it for a day to and from work and pick up a fan from the dealer on lunch? Does that aux fan come on due to heat and/or AC, or just AC?

Absolutely safe, watch the gauge periodically but you should be fine. I suspect the fan is heat triggered, but at freeway speeds it won't make much of a difference.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I confirmed on other (shittier) forums that it is indeed temp as well as A/C controlled. Looks like I'll be okay.

Swap_File
Nov 24, 2004
WIN386.SWP
While my M50 engine is out of the engine bay I have been replacing hoses and seals and stuff.

I noticed a little oil in my intake, and figured it would be a good idea to replace my PCV valve. Unfortunately, I cannot find one.

Part 1 and 4 are just connectors (hose 5 just goes down goes to the ICV), and part 4 connects to the intake after the MAF but before the throttle body (next to another ICV hose).

I believe the S52 has a PCV (Or something similar):

(Listed as part 2)

It looks like there is no PCV on the M50. I am assuming this is how it is supposed to be, but does anyone know why they do not need one?

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Swap_File posted:

Stuff

I think the PCV is built into #1

On the S52 that serves as an oil catch can to keep oil from getting sucked into the intake. You don't really need it, I usually just take the entire intake track off once a year and clean out any residue, which there usually isn't much at all.

Swap_File
Nov 24, 2004
WIN386.SWP
I had part Number 1 off, and checked it out and did not see a check valve. I guess it could be broken, but it looked OK to me.

It is a rather odd shape, maybe the shape reduces how much oil gets sucked up or something?

Since its only $5 I will probably just add one to my next parts order anyway and check it out.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Jonny 290 posted:

I confirmed on other (shittier) forums that it is indeed temp as well as A/C controlled. Looks like I'll be okay.

If you want to do a fan delete that's OK, but make sure to fix your fan destroying problem first. Could be your shroud and hoses coming loose and tangled, could be your water pump (fan is attached to water pump), could be your engine mounts causing the entire engine to slide forward under braking... could be all three.

Fan killing is a symptom. When was the cooling system completely refreshed?

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Just an FYI for you A&B driver school students looking for a little more - Registration for the Mid-Ohio race school is open. I participated last year and it was an absolute blast.

More info on the bimmerforums - thread id 1186553.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashew
Feb 1, 2009
I ENJOY TALKING IN CIRCLES AND LEADING THREADS INTO POINTLESS DERAILS. DO NOT RESPOND TO MY POSTS, YOU ARE ONLY ENABLING ME TO CONTINUE BEING AN IDIOT. JUST IGNORE ME, PLEASE.
What's the difference between my X5 and Windows?

Nothing. They both need software updates every day or two.