Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Baby Hitler posted:

edit: oh okay I guess the 350Z is returnless stock, changing to a return system is much better.

Depends on how much extra padding is left in the system. If the 350Z's has plenty of extra grunt to spare, then it might not be worth the time to convert. On SVT Focuses the stock pump and returnless system would start being erratic by 40 lbs/min, which will only give you around 250whp. Past that everybody upgrades to returned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Faggot Hammond
Mar 5, 2009

Grimster posted:

What's under the hood that makes it need such meaty tires? Don't tease then don't follow up with some engine pics.

I dont have a picture of the new engine, at the time the lower picture was taken it had a 289, now it has a sbc 383 stroker with 150 shot of nitrous.

here is the old motor

munchies posted:

e85 is a higher octane thus more boost thus more fuel needed to sustain added boost.

you need more fuel to feed the lower a/r needed when you are using e85, i believe the appropriate afr for e85 is around 11:1 in most cases so you need a beefier fuel delivery system to feed higher horsepower.

this chatter about purposefully having a returnless system on anything but stock is hilarious

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007

Been meaning to post this for a while. 1968 Pontiac Grande Parisienne. Right hand drive, exported to South Africa, and shipped over to Blighty a few years back to be used as a wedding car.

Good points: 5.3l v8, straight through pipes with cherry bombs, bench seats (and most of the interior in general), Crager wheels, next to nothing as far as rust goes.

Bad points: drum brakes, the electrics (too much unecessary crap: air horns, underlighting, etc) and paintwork (both done on the cheap by the previous owner), the temperamental nature of a 40 year old car (carb trouble at the moment :( ).

Also in the background, my daily driver, '92 Vauxhall Cavalier.

'98 Honda Hornet 600, for occasions when I actually want to go fast. :3:

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

StevoMcQueen posted:

rhd pontiac

That's pretty cool, any idea on who did the conversion? I'd imagine it wasn't a factory thing.

StevoMcQueen
Dec 29, 2007
Nope, as far as I'm aware, that's stock, at least according to wiki:

quote:

Right-hand drive cars were manufactured in Canada for export to some countries such as Australia, U.K. etc., until 1969. They used a version of the 1965 Impala dash panel until 1969.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Parisienne

Though so far I've had trouble with the (partial?) VIN and engine block numbers, since the ones recorded on the various documents that came with it correspond with the ones I can find in the engine bay itself, just not with anything I've found through googling.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Baby Hitler posted:

I've never even seen a returnless system except on the Grand Prix and I think the Focus. Returnless is s waste of time and overcomplicated needlessly. There are no drawbacks of a standard return-system, its pump requirements aren't crazy and all the mechanicals have 40 years of performance in tens of millions of cars and nearly every race vehicle running EFI. Hell, I've seen return based carb setups, now thats wacky but has its advantages.

edit: oh okay I guess the 350Z is returnless stock, changing to a return system is much better.

Right, but the dude was talking about converting to a returnless system, not from one, which is why I was confused.

kimbo305 posted:

On SVT Focuses the stock pump and returnless system would start being erratic by 40 lbs/min, which will only give you around 250whp. Past that everybody upgrades to returned.

Eh, with the Cobra tank (for Mustangs anyway), Fore fuel hat, bigger fuel line, and triple Ford GT pumps you can reliably support 1200hp. The problem with that setup is that the tank costs $800+ (if you're luck, $1100 is dealer price) and the rest of the kit costs $1200+. $2k+ for a fuel system that can support 1200hp or $1500 for a return fuel system that can support 2500+hp; the choice is pretty obvious but a lot of people like to keep the returnless system to be different.

ThwartedEfforts
Aug 20, 2002

StevoMcQueen posted:

This is glorious, and with the wheel on the right side!

Lighthammer
Mar 13, 2007
This is my DD. '02 GT with a few bolt-ons: cold air kit, 75mm throttle body/inlet tube, SCT tuning gadget, O/R X-pipe minus cats, 2-chamber Flowmasters and 3:73 rear-end.

Here's how it sounds. I got all excited at work last night reading the thread so I apologize for the pic/movie quality.

This one stays in a garage most of the time. '71 Mach 1. Almost fully restored, just needs some interior work.

Video here.

Some day I'll get a decent camera. The '71 sounds subdued in the video when it revs but it's actually overwhelming the mic on my phone.

Lighthammer fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 8, 2009

SpEd
Feb 20, 2004

Pains me to post this as I haven't been able to drive for 2 months and going because I broke my right heel bone. Oh how I miss driving.

2007 RS4

nattrass
Feb 2, 2009

1990 Celica GT-Four AWD. Jap import. Also known as a Celica Alltrac in the USA. 238hp at 0.8bar boost.

Cometic steel headgasket
ARP headstuds
Aussie downpipe with 3inch system.
HKS FMIC
17" Rays Volk TE37 with 235 tyres.

Might be considered 'rice' in america? Not sure what that really means.

(yes there is bits of it missing in that photo, it's not on the road at the moment.)

nattrass fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 8, 2009

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Nothing rice about that, although us here colonials in the new world might be jealous at you having an ST205, when Toyota stopped selling us the GT-4 before that model came out.

Also, watch your tables, owls like to do mean things to people who fail to read image posting guidlines.

nattrass
Feb 2, 2009

Simkin posted:

Nothing rice about that, although us here colonials in the new world might be jealous at you having an ST205, when Toyota stopped selling us the GT-4 before that model came out.

Also, watch your tables, owls like to do mean things to people who fail to read image posting guidlines.

Fixed, cheers for telling me, I didn't notice.

Ahh the st205. Nice cars! There's plenty of them here, mostly imports from Japan. Pretty cheap too, especially these days. Can get a good one for 2500 pounds. I nearly bought one but thought I'd plod on with this for a while.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Thats a ST185, a 205 is the four-eyes. The US got the ST165 and ST185 models, but not the ST205.

It might be called rice because the blacked out lights, wacky racer hood, and large wheels, although its uusally on a fwd Celica ST and not on a real alltrac. I wouldn't have done it, but some people like adding body mods.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 8, 2009

nattrass
Feb 2, 2009

Baby Hitler posted:

Thats a ST185, a 205 is the four-eyes. The US got the ST165 and ST185 models, but not the ST205.

It might be called rice because the blacked out lights, wacky racer hood, and large wheels, although its uusally on a fwd Celica ST and not on a real alltrac. I wouldn't have done it, but some people like adding body mods.

The hood is standard believe it or not :)

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
All I have right now is some pics of my engine bay of my '86 Corolla since its still in the shop getting some more wiring done(haltech and my wideband), new koyo radiator put in and also my new headers put in as well so we can take it to the dyno and get it tuned right. The exterior of the car isnt much to look at anyway, heres where all the fun happens.

Getting rid of that fan in favor of some electric ones as well.

From the front:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

From the side:

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 9, 2009

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

nattrass posted:

The hood is standard believe it or not :)
Was it an alternate option or something, because the US ones all seem to have this one:

Though there's plenty of pics of your kind of hood online.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Huh. Guess I was thrown a bit by the ST205 hood on the ST185. I've seen a couple of really nice buildups of GT-4s online, especially from that Finnish shop that rebuilds old rally cars. They're certainly not the nicest sounding car, though. :3:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Was it an alternate option or something, because the US ones all seem to have this one:

Though there's plenty of pics of your kind of hood online.

I have to say nattrass is correct, that is a stock ST185 GT4 bonnet. Unless there was a different bonnet for the standard GT4 and the RC/Carlos Sains versions.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
That's a GT-4 RC, which was the Japanese market homogolation model/trim. The hood is now a vent instead of a scoop. Maybe to accomodate the WTA intercooler or something, I dunno.

A lot of North American ricers put that hood on their FWD Celicas.

here it is on the real deal.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 9, 2009

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

Goddammit Toyota why did you have to go cheat and get banned.
:smith::fh:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

That's a GT-4 RC, which was the Japanese market homogolation model/trim. The hood is now a vent instead of a scoop. Maybe to accomodate the WTA intercooler or something, I dunno.

A lot of North American ricers put that hood on their FWD Celicas.

here it is on the real deal.

Yeah the ST185 RC (or Carlos Sainz edition as it was sold in europe) had a WTA intercooler instead of the normal air to air topmount. I only know this because I spent ages looking at toyota epc's trying to find appropriate parts to bolt an ST205 WTA intercooler to the equivalent of a ST185 engine.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Lighthammer posted:

This one stays in a garage most of the time. '71 Mach 1. Almost fully restored, just needs some interior work.

Video here.

Some day I'll get a decent camera. The '71 sounds subdued in the video when it revs but it's actually overwhelming the mic on my phone.

Cool old beast, what engine does it have?

Lighthammer
Mar 13, 2007

You Am I posted:

Cool old beast, what engine does it have?

Thanks! We have the original 351 but what's in it now is a 460 bored out to around 472. I drove it home from the shop after the engine swap with open headers and the driver's seat felt like a massage chair. I wanted to leave it that way too but couldn't convince my Dad we wouldn't get a ticket every time we took it out. It's got a 4spd and if you're stopped on a hill you might as well start it in 2nd or it'll just sit there and spin the wheels. I love the big bastard.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Saw it at the dealership, took it for a test ride, made sure the baby seat fit in the back seat and bought it. My wife and I love it!

2009 Dodge Challenger RT (5.7 Hemi 370 HP)

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

My newest ride. 2005 Ducati Monster 620.

My hosting.

JizJizJiz
Apr 18, 2005

Crayvex posted:

Saw it at the dealership, took it for a test ride, made sure the baby seat fit in the back seat and bought it. My wife and I love it!

2009 Dodge Challenger RT (5.7 Hemi 370 HP)

neat! Any comments on how it feels?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
The newly-acquired E36 after a quick detail.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jonny290/E36?feat=directlink

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

JizJizJiz posted:

neat! Any comments on how it feels?

The car feels awesome! I sprung for the leather interior and the seats are super comfortable. It takes off like a bat out of hell. I've had it up to 120 MPH before I wuss out. I kinda wish I had got the six speed manual, but the wife can't drive stick. The exhaust has a nice throaty sound that is only "loud" when it needs to be. I really think Chrysler got this one right.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
I only have a bunch of spoiler pictures because I've never actually wheeled it out to get a good one yet.

1965 Chevy Impala Wagon, with a mild restore work. 283 Small Block V8, 3 on the tree, surf stickers coating the back. Me and my dad have worked on it for a few years. Also for sale to any Socal goons who might care. I think aside from new Headers and exhaust its pretty stock, just worked on so it runs a little better.

1981 Yamaha XT250

Not Pictured: '08 Honda Fit

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
1974 Mercury Comet
302ci V8, 2bbl
3spd C4 auto
83,000 miles

This is the only car I've ever owned, got it when I was 17, so about 7 years now. It's my daily driver, and I have no plans for that to change. I recently spent a lot of money to have the transmission rebuilt (more than the car's worth, basically) because I'm really attached to this car.

Sorry I don't have a better photo. Took this way back in '02 when I first got it. It looks the same now though so it doesn't matter.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Chill_Bebop posted:

1965 Chevy Impala Wagon

Nice. I like the original valve covers with the shiny new headers look. I've got the opposite look going (PO-installed) and I have to say that I'm tempted to switch it around. I've got the original valvecovers in the garage somewhere, and anything is better than EDELBROCK stamped over everything (except maybe chrome flames).

E: Maybe not, the more I think about it. The PCV valve mounts on the valvecover currently, I think it's on its own stick on the intake manifold originally. Not going to switch back to the stock manifold. Derp. Looks good though, Chill Bebop.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 9, 2009

Lambster Bisque
Dec 31, 2007

by angerbotSD
Might as well post the bucket at the current ride-height

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
2007 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
I've had it for about a year and a half and i love it.
I've put sways, coilovers, wider and stickier tires (275/40/20) and a front strut tower bar on it. Also an intake and exhaust along with a tune.
Its putting down around 410hp/432tq at the wheels and running in the 12's at the drag strip.

I've got a track day at NJMSP at the end of the month and I cant wait to get some road course time in it.

now

when it was new

kill me now fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 9, 2009

Redshadow
Feb 14, 2006
Went to my Dad's house for the weekend, so got pics on all our cars. I'd start up a project thread, but I only get to work on my stuff every couple weekends during the warm season, so it'd be slow updating (his shops in Abilene, I'm in Austin)

Dad's 1965 malibu, 283 4bbl, powerglide, a 350 4 speed swap is in the works.

Dad's 1966 Nova, 377ci (destroked 400) full roller, 13.5:1, 5500 stall, 4.56 spooled 12 bolt. Last season had an issue with the transbrake/delay box and grenaded the transmission, he got it out this weekend and hopes to be running again next weekend.

My 1978 malibu, bought as a caged roller with a 8.5 GN posi 10 bolt, has the 377 in it that USED to be in the nova. Hoping for 11.50's and the car will be street-legal when done.

My 1967 chevelle, sorry, this is a picture of a picture, car is blown apart in my garage right now, moving it to Dad's shop once i've finished the '78 to re-restore it. Car was bought when I was 15, finished the christmas after my 16th birthday, and was my daily driver for years. Improper repairs (we originally restored it in 1985, before alot of reproduction panels were available, so had to hack stuff together) and someone running over it while it sat infront of my house has reduced the car to a sliver of it's former glory. But! there is a 402 BBC and a muncie sitting at dad's shop with my name on them, and she will be back in this shape again.

My daily driver/work truck, put between 500-1k miles on it a week, so sorry it's so dirty. 5.3L with self done HP tuners tune, k&n filter and 4.11 gears, and a 3/4 drop. 20 MPG on the highway and 14.86 fastest quarter mile pass, on my 3rd front valance as I keep ripping em off when parking.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
I like the extensive GM love you got there. I wish I lived in your climate, I bet it's a lot easier maintaining old cars when you don't have salt on the roads 6 months out of the year.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
My daily driver ('95 Volvo 850):

The project ('66 Thunderbird-currently on hiatus, maybe headed to the scrap heap due to rust cancer):

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

82Daion posted:

The project ('66 Thunderbird-currently on hiatus, maybe headed to the scrap heap due to rust cancer):

I'd shop for another less rusty one and save that one for a parts car. It looks like it has a lot of good chrome and glass on it. Or at least try to part it out before smashing it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Redshadow posted:

My 1978 malibu, bought as a caged roller with a 8.5 GN posi 10 bolt, has the 377 in it that USED to be in the nova. Hoping for 11.50's and the car will be street-legal when done.

That front end looks familiar.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

goldrush posted:

1974 Mercury Comet
302ci V8, 2bbl
3spd C4 auto
83,000 miles

This is the only car I've ever owned, got it when I was 17, so about 7 years now. It's my daily driver, and I have no plans for that to change. I recently spent a lot of money to have the transmission rebuilt (more than the car's worth, basically) because I'm really attached to this car.

Sorry I don't have a better photo. Took this way back in '02 when I first got it. It looks the same now though so it doesn't matter.

Ask around on the forums next time you have issues, I can hook you up with a dude that does built C4 transmissions for ~$600 shipped. There's no reason to blow a ton of money on repair poo poo with an old car, that's part of what makes them cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

I'd shop for another less rusty one and save that one for a parts car. It looks like it has a lot of good chrome and glass on it. Or at least try to part it out before smashing it.

I'll definitely save the good parts if I decide that the body is shot-all of the glass is original and in good shape, and the interior parts would be fine with a little elbow grease and a new headliner, and perhaps a dye job on the dash. I figure I'll probably cut off the rear quarter panels (which are shot) and see what lurks underneath before proceeding further, if I ever get started on it again.

Living 150 miles away from it sucks. :(

On the plus side, if it does turn out to be past hope, my grandparents have a '77 Lincoln Town Car coupe that's only got about 80,000 miles on it, and it's essentially rust-free-it might be fun to desmog/rebuild its 460 and see what happens. :D

SUSE Creamcheese fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 10, 2009