Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think the term you're looking for is the Turco shot, though I'm sure he's not the first to use it, and yeah -- I Turco the gently caress out of the puck. It's the only way I can stickhandle in the least :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
I say to my d-men "I can't stick handle for poo poo. I'm a righty shot when I'm out of goal, so besides a quick backhand whack or something, you guys are on your own."

Thats how I stickhandle!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My stickhandling is okay, but I flake under pressure bigtime. If I race out to get a puck from a charging forward, I will inevitably shoot the puck away from him right to someone on his team I didn't notice was trailing or something. I'm seriously terrible about that.

Also when we play switchup shinny where we switch goalies every 10 minutes or so, I always pass my puck to the wrong guys :v:. Every time we switch I have to ask the nearest guy to me without the puck "Hey are you guys shooting on me or what".

Grumblingcat
Feb 26, 2009
Turco it is! The best is when you're playing shinny and you clear the puck away from a guy who's now on your team. They don't really like it when you do that...

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

My stickhandling is okay, but I flake under pressure bigtime. If I race out to get a puck from a charging forward, I will inevitably shoot the puck away from him right to someone on his team I didn't notice was trailing or something. I'm seriously terrible about that.

Also when we play switchup shinny where we switch goalies every 10 minutes or so, I always pass my puck to the wrong guys :v:. Every time we switch I have to ask the nearest guy to me without the puck "Hey are you guys shooting on me or what".

At least you apparently don't have a weird confidence in your stickhandling like Maf does even though he is terrible at it.

As a defenseman, the less my goalie handles the puck, the better, unless they are actually good at it, and most goalies aren't. The reasons for this are if you gently caress it up you can really get me killed on the forecheck, and even if there isn't hitting like in a beer league it's still gonna suck for me if you mess up with the puck that low in the zone.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah. In a real game situation I would be a lot more conservative in my stickhandling and let my D handle all that. I'm not amazing at it, and I'm more likely to make a save by coming out and taking the angle than I am by racing out to intercept the puck itself. In shinny, though, I pretty much try to stickhandle at every opportunity because I can practice without having to worry about losing a game. I'll get scored on a lot but it doesn't really matter :)

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Oh god, thats even worse if I have to race out to try and get to the puck before a forward, half the time I fan on the puck, or just get a piece of it, the other half I put it right back into the guy I'm racing with. It's awful.

Grumblingcat
Feb 26, 2009

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Oh god, thats even worse if I have to race out to try and get to the puck before a forward, half the time I fan on the puck, or just get a piece of it, the other half I put it right back into the guy I'm racing with. It's awful.

As long as you don't pull a DiPietro, you're golden!

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Arg.. uhg.. just played two hours of hard roller. Took a five hour energy before hand.. I think I might be dead if not for that. I think I did really well until about an hour in, then I started getting tired and sloppy. But for some reason during the last twenty minutes I got a fifth wind or something. I made some awesome saves too.. ahh man I hurt so good. fuckkk...

All my teammates keep telling me to get goalie skates for roller.. and I tell them its not really worth it. I will be needing new skates soon.. but I don't know if I should get goal skates or player skates. For ice I got goal skates, but for roller I really don't think it makes too much of a difference. Any input?

okay I'm gonna go pass the hell out now.. wheeee..

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

Arg.. uhg.. just played two hours of hard roller. Took a five hour energy before hand.. I think I might be dead if not for that. I think I did really well until about an hour in, then I started getting tired and sloppy. But for some reason during the last twenty minutes I got a fifth wind or something. I made some awesome saves too.. ahh man I hurt so good. fuckkk...

All my teammates keep telling me to get goalie skates for roller.. and I tell them its not really worth it. I will be needing new skates soon.. but I don't know if I should get goal skates or player skates. For ice I got goal skates, but for roller I really don't think it makes too much of a difference. Any input?

okay I'm gonna go pass the hell out now.. wheeee..

Goalie skates are lowering to the ground, have a longer bases and a protective cowling. They made a big difference for me, but if you like the added mobility of player skates, then you would be far from alone in that category

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
Reviving thread from page 3. How am I the first one to say what I've done over the weekend? Is everyone's season coming to a close or already over or what?

Anyway, yesterday I had a terrible night but the game was loving epic. (I probably spoiled it there but I gotta tell you guys so read on if you enjoy a good story) I did time keeping the game before so I was still kinda cold and I let one slip by off a dead angle a minute in. gently caress; at least it wasn't the first shot, though. We get on the board some time later but they get the lead back after a fumble in front of me. I had the puck frozen but it popped out somehow. Sigh, 2-1 after 1. The second was pretty uneventful sans for a few brilliant breakaway stops on my part and my team scoring a PPG late in the period to tie it 2-2 after 2.

I figure I have my head on straight by now and I'll be happy with a tie if I don't let any more goals in, and who knew, maybe we could rally 1 more and win it. Wrong. Early in the 3rd, a shot comes slowly towards my glove and I aim to catch it. It was one of those fluttering ones that couldn't stay airborne so well because it was wobbling so much. It hits my glove and I hope it goes wide. Ding. Ok, maybe it went off the post and wide. Please? Ref's whistle blows. poo poo. I hang my head in shame for about 20 seconds until the puck drops.

Late in the game, we're still down by a goal. 2:31 left, we get a penalty. Oh god, this is all my fault, we're gonna lose. Penalty is 1:30 so as soon as the guy gets out of the box and goes to the bench. It takes the team a few seconds to realize that they need 2 more out on the ice, so they hop out and race after the puck. 40.7 seconds left and Sully gets one top shelf. Hell. Yeah. Things just kept going our way from then on. 18.9 seconds left, the other team gets a double minor and their best d-man ejected for checking from behind and unsportsmanlike. As you can probably guess, Sully wins the draw, skates around everyone and races in alone popping another one top shelf with 11 seconds left in the game. 2 rallies in less than 30 seconds, I felt like the Panthers last week against the Rangers :drat: but I digress.

I would've felt terrible I had personally lost the game for the team. However, that win put them in the championship, although they're probably going to lose because I can't play in goal since I'm not their regular goalie and the other one was pulled up from the lower league just this year.

So, enough of my story, how has everyone else been doing in their playoffs (or if not, off-seasons)?

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Played game 2 in net for me (game 6, I think in season), and as happy as I was the first game with my work, even though we lost, lastnight was the opposite. I ended up getting out of the house late, and got to the rink late. To add to it, I was in such a rush to get dressed, I put my pads on before I put on my shorts. Ugh. I finally got in net about 10 second before first puck drop, and took like 3 warmup shots.

Of course, I just wasn't feeling it, and in a scramble in front it squirted to a guy on the wing, and the shot went off my shoulder and in. Like a minute later, the LW comes down the boards, take a shot that the Dman in front blocks, but of course shoots straight across to the RW and the RW bangs home the rebound past me as I stretched across but couldn't get to. Then, another 90 or so seconds later, the other team gets set up in the zone, with a ton of traffic in front that doesn't get cleared out, and I have a shot go 5 hole that I never see, and went down too late. It's now a total of like 4 minutes into the game (we actually have stopped clocks, not running time, 3 10 minute periods), and it's 3-0. :suicide: Someone even joked I looked like Budaj out there from the night before. Thanks guys!

I'm like 60% save percentage, and not pleased. I more or less am putting it on me, since I was cold, and I probably could've had 2 of the 3. We finally get some momentum though as the period ends on a couple PP's, but haven't found the back of the net yet.

Into the second we get a couple back fairly early, and its 3-2, and thier best player (who I used to play with at my old rink, and he even bought and ran the rink for a year or two) came down the LW, and blasted one stickside high (my weakness) on me. I think my positioning was off, as I felt like I should've had it. Late in the period, and we had an absolutely awful giveaway right in the slot, the forechecker turned around and blasted one high-gloveside and I got the tip of my glove on, but not enough, and we're down 5-2.

I can't remember if we got our third at the end of the second or beginning of the third, but regardless, I finally clamped down, and was able to make some big saves at the end of the second/beginning of the third. The thing that was driving me insane was I couldn't control my rebounds. It felt like everything was just bouncing away from me. Usually I can eat everything up, but lastnight I felt like a rubber wall. I couldn't hold onto anything. Luckily it didn't burn me, but my Dmen bailed me out a few times with clears.

We end up making it a one goal game with a few minutes to go, and end up missing some fantastic opportunities to tie the game. We couldn't finish one late, and ended up losing 5-4.

I didn't feel nearly as good lastnight, and I blame that on myself, just getting to the rink late. It looks like I'll probably be in net the rest of the way though, as the captain thinks we're a better team the way we are now, which I'm happy about. Luckily too, the worst team in our division we haven't even played, so hopefully I'll be able to lower my GAA (which is at about 4 right now) in those games.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I played 2 hours of pickup yesterday morning and only gave up 4 goals. 2 were deflections i had no prayer on.

I was pretty happy, because I've been slumping lately.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

gco posted:

Is everyone's season coming to a close or already over or what?

Yep, ended this weekend. Finished up at 89% with 825 shots on goal in 19 games. Our D...it seems to be lacking. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have a kid on the way so it will be my last season for just a bit. Wife frowns upon me coming home at 2:30 in the morning after late games. Hrm.

Oh, and has anyone heard of Greg Adams? I guess he used to play for Vancouver for quite a while. Anyways, he showed up for pickup today in Scottsdale. I think he's about 42 or so years old, but still has a shot like a cannon. Felt like a sledgehammer to the stomach/shoulder on a couple of his slapshots.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
<---- former Dallas Star Greg Adams fan

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Yep, ended this weekend. Finished up at 89% with 825 shots on goal in 19 games. Our D...it seems to be lacking. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I have a kid on the way so it will be my last season for just a bit. Wife frowns upon me coming home at 2:30 in the morning after late games. Hrm.

Oh, and has anyone heard of Greg Adams? I guess he used to play for Vancouver for quite a while. Anyways, he showed up for pickup today in Scottsdale. I think he's about 42 or so years old, but still has a shot like a cannon. Felt like a sledgehammer to the stomach/shoulder on a couple of his slapshots.

How are the afternoon pickups at the Ice Den anyway? I'm hoping to start playing at those as soon as get over my drat cold.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

How are the afternoon pickups at the Ice Den anyway? I'm hoping to start playing at those as soon as get over my drat cold.

Lots of strong players. Usually get one or two former IHL players that don't like to pass and try and make goalies look dumb. Apparently there are a lot of retired NHL players out here and they'll show up every now and again. So far I've seen both the Lemieux brothers, Greg Adams, Shane Doan and supposedly Bryzgalov showed up once but I wasn't there for that. Pick up starts at 12:15 on Monday and Wednesday and at 3:15 on Fridays.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Lots of strong players. Usually get one or two former IHL players that don't like to pass and try and make goalies look dumb. Apparently there are a lot of retired NHL players out here and they'll show up every now and again. So far I've seen both the Lemieux brothers, Greg Adams, Shane Doan and supposedly Bryzgalov showed up once but I wasn't there for that. Pick up starts at 12:15 on Monday and Wednesday and at 3:15 on Fridays.

That sounds ridicuously cool. Though none of those guys are quite as cool as Greg Ostertag.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've really been slumping, in a rut, playing an incredibly lazy talentless game these past few weeks. Tonight I basically had to FORCE myself out the door to go play, and in all honesty I wasn't sure if I would even show up or just fake sick or something, that's how little I wanted to play.

Anyway, long story really short I went and played and the disinterest actually somehow resulted in an incredibly good game. I mean, I gave up a few goals but they were incredible 2 on 1 or 2 on 0 goals, I absolutely shut down on breakaways where I didn't have to worry about a trailer or second man, and I was in position for just about every shot.

I have no idea why this happened. By all accounts I should have stunk it up more than I've ever sucked before.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

Joey Walnuts posted:

Do you do your own stats or do you have the luxury of someone doing it for you? I personally keep my own and do my best to keep the numbers in my head correct, which is kinda distracting, but I only need 1 number, saves, as the GA are on the scoreboard when I'm in a game. This year, which consisted of the last 2 weekends, I was 2-1-0 75/82: .915 with the possibility of me playing in the consolation game. I already inadvertently drove one team into the consolation game by replacing their opponent's bad goalie last week which I kinda feel bad about because the team I played for is now going to get creamed in the final game where there could have been an entertaining match had I lost that game. Life goes on, I don't feel too bad. It's not like it's tremendously important or anything if they let a college goaltender play in a youth league in the first place.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

gco posted:

Do you do your own stats or do you have the luxury of someone doing it for you? I personally keep my own and do my best to keep the numbers in my head correct, which is kinda distracting, but I only need 1 number, saves, as the GA are on the scoreboard when I'm in a game. This year, which consisted of the last 2 weekends, I was 2-1-0 75/82: .915 with the possibility of me playing in the consolation game. I already inadvertently drove one team into the consolation game by replacing their opponent's bad goalie last week which I kinda feel bad about because the team I played for is now going to get creamed in the final game where there could have been an entertaining match had I lost that game. Life goes on, I don't feel too bad. It's not like it's tremendously important or anything if they let a college goaltender play in a youth league in the first place.

The league that I'm in uses pointstreak.com. It tracks everything for every player.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I got invited onto a team thats going to the Adult Mens National tournament in Fon Du Lac WI and the Walleye Chop A division tourney here in MN. The team that won the Walleye chop last year had a lot of current Mankato Sate players on it fresh off their season, should be intense!

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Fuuuuuuck. What a lovely playoff exit. I've been standing on my head for the last 3 weeks in pickup, but I just couldn't put it together this morning. My glove side, normally my strength, was abysmal- they picked me on the top corner on half the goals scored.

This just wasn't my game. First I showed up for it yesterday morning by mistake, then the baby was screaming her head off all last night, topped off with a half-asleep argument with the wife. 6:45 came way too soon. I tried downing one of those 5-hour boost drinks on the way... never again. My head still feels like TV fuzz.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's a shame. I had a game like that on Thursday, another day where I desperately wasn't in the mood to play since I've been on a roll studying and for some reason Thursday 11pm games always break my concentration for the next day. Anyway, unlike last time where I felt disinterested and played a badass game, this time I was little more than a pylon in net.

I'd actually feel bad wasting the shooters' time if I wasn't the only goalie that showed up. At least they had SOMETHING to shoot at :v:

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Hahahahaha, my buddy wants me to play in net for his ice team next session. Regardless of the fact that I haven't skated in 8 or so years. Apparently I fit well into a 12D goalie skate though, so now I just need to find a decent pair and learn how to skate in gear.

This ought to be fun.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
I've only got one real goaltending story that matters, since I mostly played rec league and crap like that. Never made the rep team, although in my last year of Midget I was the first alternate on the Tier II team. Which is kind of like being the retarded water boy in that I had about the same chance of playing.

Anyway, back in the early 90s, the senior team from town was heading into Tisdale to face the defending senior provincial champion Ramblers for a weekend exhibition set. Our team was crappy, as evidenced by the fact they asked me along on the strength of my play in rec league that year. For a 2-10 team. My goals against average was somewhere between 8.poo poo and 10.brutal.

But they needed a goaltender and offered free beer all trip, so what the hey, road trip.

Well, we play the first game, and it's pretty weird. There's about 100 or so fans, mostly family and girlfriends by the look of it, but they're loving NUTS. I'm playing fairly well, and as we're going off the ice some chick is just screaming at me that 'they're going to get you next period, you human being!'. Now, I'm a pretty timid guy, I don't say or do poo poo out on the ice outside of my realm, so this was kind of shocking. I guess they were just pissed that their team was losing.

That's right, losing. Our rag-tag bunch of scrubs scored three times in the first on the defending provincial champions. Who only a few months earlier were playing for the Allan Cup.

We were under no delusions of grandeur, we knew they were going to come on and get us at some point. I should point out that our team wasn't COMPLETE poo poo, we had a few ex-WHLers from back in the late 70s, couple guys who played low-end minor pro. But these were the loving TISDALE RAMBLERS, their whole team was made up of recent SJHL and WHL grads and one guy who had played in the NHL a couple years earlier. They were going to get us.

Well, they didn't. For some reason, our defensive shell worked perfectly. Single man forecheck, blue-line discipline, harassing through the neutral zone, it all worked. I faced 35 shots, and I stopped them all.

I. Shut. Out. The. PROVINCIAL. CHAMPS. Inameaninglessexhibitiongamebutheywhocaresaboutthat.

That was the Friday night game.

We played Saturday night too.

Welp, word had got out. Apparently we were this team of pro and semi-pro ringers with a former NHL goaltender (some how Palmer turned into Palmateer in their crazy minds, and I do believe Mike was still in the NHL at that time) and the Ramblers were going to come out blazing next game. Why they thought this would be the case for a crap exhibition game with a crap team from a crap town, I'll never know. But that's Tisdale for you. Just a little unbalanced.

So with that in mind, the rink was packed to the rafters. Honestly they had to have a couple thousand jammed into that 500 seat arena, and it was so damned loud. The guys who'd seen this kind of crowd before were fine, but there were four, five of them. The other 10 of us were bucking shitets. Somehow even though we were all adults we were like 15-year-olds playing in front of the first sorta-big crowd again.

They scored on the first shot, the third shot, and after that I lost count. We were down 5-0 after the first, and I think the shots were 24-2 or some poo poo. All of a sudden we weren't world-beaters that all these people had come to cheer on the Ramblers against. We were a bunch of scrubs who were worthy of nothing but their derision, and that's what they gave us.

I'll give them credit, they were pretty creative, I've never heard my name and so many derivitives of fag used together in the span of a couple hours before.

They were up 10-2 when things got a little stupid, one of their guys took a swipe at 'Spook' Davis and got his face broken for it - don't ever, EVER fight Spook, hockey or street, there's a reason he was a step away from the NHL in the 70s, and it wasn't his ability to score goals - which led to me getting run and a mini-brawl breaking out. I ended up talking to their goalie at center ice for a couple minutes, doing running commentary on the fights. He was a pretty funny guy, we had a few beers together after the game and he tried to sell me a combine. Didn't need one, I lived in a mining town.

Anyway, we lost 12-3, got poo poo thrown at us as we left the ice and that was that. A bunch of the guys were going home right after the game and had chartered a second bus (mining guys = $$), about five or six of us stayed back and got wasted with a bunch of the Ramblers telling hockey stories.

Twas fun, and my last competitive hockey experience before my guts gave out. Would like to throw on the gear again for old times sake, but I'd probably end up in traction if I did...

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"
I went to play at the local outdoor city-run (read: lovely) roller rink today; and was informed by the message board that they have shut down for the winter. The main reason I played there was a massive surplus of goalie gear they had for free rentals, which made my life good. I've been hanging out at Sharks Ice, and dammit, it looks like ice is way more fun.

So I guess the question is, any of you guys have any extra gear laying around? I'm feeling like I want to make the jump, but god drat is the initial investment price crazy high. I'd be more than willing to pay shipping/any other additional compensation. The used goalie gear market in San Jose is, shall we say, non-existent.

So far I've accumulated:
a. Mission Motion Lite 34" Legpads (I'm not sure if these will suffice for 60+ MPH slapshots, but for $35 I couldn't refuse)
b. an absolutely pathetic Bauer Reactor trapper (I think it spent 10 years with an tank parked on top of it)
c. a matching pathetic Bauer Reactor Blocker
d. an Itech 1400 Mask

EDIT: Also, Martytoof, I seem to have the same drat problem as with my glove hand. I shut shooters down on the blocker side, but every single glove side shot either goes off my wrist or my palm.

brosef deluxe fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 9, 2009

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I would not recommend using the 1400 for ice hockey.

It's your head dude, buy something decent.

edit: Those leg pads are pushing it too, they're meant for roller hockey but at rec level they might work.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

T-Bone posted:

I would not recommend using the 1400 for ice hockey.

It's your head dude, buy something decent.

edit: Those leg pads are pushing it too, they're meant for roller hockey but at rec level they might work.
Oh I absolutely agree, but money is the limiting factor.
:argh:ECONOMY!:argh:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'd honestly put leg pads at the bottom of your list. You can get a lot of life out of these pads even if they're not designed for ice. They may not slide that well or be as comfortable as some ice specific pads but honestly I would seriously be surprised if you even came close to getting hurt in them.

Same with the blocker and catch. You might experience a few stingers catching, especially if you mentioned you have the same problem as I do with the cuff of your glove, but really I've seen some truly ancient equipment out on the rinks here that preform well.

Check out the classifieds at goaliestore.com/board, but they actually got kind of lovely after they switched to a pay-to-advertise model. I'll definitely keep an eye out for any bargains and I'll post here or PM you if I come across any. Unfortunately, with the mask, that is definitely something that you will have to either find an amazing deal on, or actually shell out for. There's no getting around some of the initial expenses :(

What waist size are you? I might have a pair of goalie pants I could let you have for shipping, I just have to find them in our garage.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 9, 2009

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

Martytoof posted:

What waist size are you? I might have a pair of goalie pants I could let you have for shipping, I just have to find them in our garage.
32 waist.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ok cool I'll take a look around tonight and see if I can find them. I'll let you know tomorrow hopefully.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
I'd be careful on the blocker/catch stuff, if someone can rip a shot straight to your palm its going to hurt like the dickens. Also if you're closing up into butterfly exposing yourself like this

You leave yourself open to a very hurt stick hand if the waffle isnt meant for a puck.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So I'll probably be playing D2 ACHA somewhere next year and I'm thinking about getting this: http://superglideskating.com/HomeGoalieTraining.aspx to help get back in shape.

Anyone have any experience with it?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
That looks awesome.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

T-Bone posted:

So I'll probably be playing D2 ACHA somewhere next year and I'm thinking about getting this: http://superglideskating.com/HomeGoalieTraining.aspx to help get back in shape.

Anyone have any experience with it?

Watching that video of the hockey players on it I didnt see someone slide stop once, just a lot of turning. I don't know how well it'll allow you to shuffle so I'd definitely want to give it a try before buying.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I always hear that if you're using synthetic ice you want to get a second pair of skates that you don't mind loving up. Supposedly it's terrible on your blades but I don't have any firsthand experience.

Brosef I found the pants but I'm actually on my way out to a game right now so I'll get with you later this week to see if you want them.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

That team that I lost to 3-2 a couple weeks ago where I felt real good about my game? Yeah, we got curbstomped by them Sunday night, 7-3. We had 1 legit D-man show up (and only 7 total skaters) and another dman who is average at best. Boy oh boy did I get a workout. We held tight until through the second, it was 3-3, but the team was out of gas by the third. Between the end of the second and the third, I must've dealt with about 10 odd man rushes.

I really don't like to make excuses, but even with 7 goals, I felt like I might have had only some sort of chance at like 2 of em, and thats probably being generous, with me making desperation moves and getting a piece of a shot as it's being blasted by.

My GAA went up by a full goal for the season. Luckily I must've faced 40-50 shots, so my Sv% didn't take an absolute killing. Boy was it ugly!

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I always hear that if you're using synthetic ice you want to get a second pair of skates that you don't mind loving up. Supposedly it's terrible on your blades but I don't have any firsthand experience.

Brosef I found the pants but I'm actually on my way out to a game right now so I'll get with you later this week to see if you want them.
Thanks a trillion, Martytoof. Play well!

titanium posted:

You leave yourself open to a very hurt stick hand if the waffle isnt meant for a puck.
Keep in mind, I am going to be playing at a level somewhere between absolute drooling idiot and never played hockey before, so I don't anticipate hard shots. I'll definitely keep my eye open for a better blocker/catch combo... there's not a whole lot of padding in the glove hand. I'm getting stingers even playing roller, but with admittedly much better shooters.

brosef deluxe fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Tomorrow = the Minnesota Boys State Highschool Hockey Expo. Time to hustle reps for cheap equipment! I've gotta get a new C/A before my tournaments or my collar bone is going to explode.

• Locked thread