Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I'd agree with wringing as well, though I'd be more likely to call it ragging the bike or really fricking pegging it.

I've also used the term wringing when it comes to a car engine, it's nothing to do with the method of applying the throttle, or at least as far as I'm concerned. When you're wringing a towel you're trying to get every last ounce of liquid out of the towel. When you're wringing a bike, you're trying to extract every last ounce of horsepower or performance from that screaming throbbing engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I always took it to just mean you're extracting all you can from a motor. You're wringing every last drop out of it.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

sklnd posted:

I think they were all as happy as I've been with the beautiful weather we've had the last couple days in Texas.

Recent beautiful weather in Texas, isn't it beautiful nearly year round? What, are you guys afraid to go out if it's less than 80º? We get a 50º day in Chicago and I'm ready to take the bike out...

The Shep fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 10, 2009

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ha, it got above 40 here in Milwaukee, and there were bikes everywhere.

It always amazes me what people in warm climates consider cold.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I rode down till the roads were filled with snow/sleet. Then it melted and I rode the next day. I like Dallas.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Concerning the biker wave.. I always wave at everyone. I get waves back from the Harley guys UNLESS they look spit polished (leathers and bike) and look like they ride it because it's a perfect day and their wife said it would be okay that day. All the regular Harley riders wave. The other group I get less waves from are the Harley wannabes but that bought a jap cruiser and wear full leathers, it's like they think they belong to the Harley guys only if they don't wave.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Phat_Albert posted:

After living in the Milwaukee area for almost my entire life, how do you not die on a bike each spring with the massive potholes everywhere? Out here in Cincinnati potholes are few and far between.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Bikes are single track vehicles. That makes most road crap only hit us once. And motorcycles don't get thrown side to side due to potholes either.

Potholes dent rims. (I've got a few dents to prove it) But that's it really.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Don't bring yourself down to their level. gently caress the "culture rift." Wave at everyone. We're all bikers. Maybe if more people did this, there wouldn't be a rift.

I wave at everyone and everything on <4 wheels. I got my first wave back from a scooter on Sunday, and I'm still waiting for a bicyclist to wave back. Sometimes I feel a little dickish waving to bicyclists though, it almost feels like I'm saying, "Ha ha, I don't have to pedal and you do."

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dietcokefiend posted:

After living in the Milwaukee area for almost my entire life, how do you not die on a bike each spring with the massive potholes everywhere? Out here in Cincinnati potholes are few and far between.

Its worse in the city than anywhere else, but I guess I just learn to watch ahead and avoid them. I havent noticed them being horrible the last few years though.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

My brain seems to process bicycles as motorcycles. I end up waving to them as well. I get weird looks in return.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nerobro posted:

My brain seems to process bicycles as motorcycles. I end up waving to them as well. I get weird looks in return.

I wave to motorcyclists on my bicycle. I get funny looks and the occasional wave.

I assume that a lot of motorcyclists are bicyclists and vice versa.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Phat_Albert posted:

Its worse in the city than anywhere else, but I guess I just learn to watch ahead and avoid them. I havent noticed them being horrible the last few years though.

My brother lives off 76th street near Burleigh and that road has turned into a mine field. I suppose once you get out of the city into areas like Brookfield everything is peachy and nice since they care more about the roads (or still have money in the budget to fix them).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Budget is my big concern for potholes this year. Usually cities are pretty good about getting them cleaned up early on, but this year might be different, who knows.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
This year there's going to be a huge pile of gubmint money for pothole filling. Shovel ready, baby.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Nerobro posted:

Bikes are single track vehicles. That makes most road crap only hit us once. And motorcycles don't get thrown side to side due to potholes either.

Potholes dent rims. (I've got a few dents to prove it) But that's it really.

I've had a pothole blow out a fork seal before, but I suppose it could have been on its way out already.

Also, my temperature limit is 38 degrees F, but I'm from Michigan. I suppose if I had heated gear I might even go lower.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Nerobro posted:

Me too. As long as they're on the street, I wave. I don't bother if they're on a sidewalk. I've got about a 50/50 wave back from cyclists.

Out in the country, I wave at pretty much everyone but cars. People walking, cops, cyclists, horseback riders, and even the occasional person out mowing their law.

As for riders, I almost always get a wave from dual sport/ADV riders, usually from sport bike riders, and occasionally from cruisers. I ride a small Japanese cruiser. The further I am from town, the more waves, I get.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Zenaida posted:

I wave at everyone and everything on <4 wheels. I got my first wave back from a scooter on Sunday, and I'm still waiting for a bicyclist to wave back. Sometimes I feel a little dickish waving to bicyclists though, it almost feels like I'm saying, "Ha ha, I don't have to pedal and you do."

I always wave to bicyclists but kind of have the opposite thought, that they are thinking "Haha, I'm getting more exercise than you." Seeing as we both share the "likely to get runover by an SUV on the backroads" characteristic I don't think waving is THAT weird.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
The waving topic is making me want to watch Wild Hogs. It's like someone read my mind about Harley riders and made a movie about it. Most Harley guys here in NJ will wave, especially when you're riding in 30-40 degree weather. The only time I can think of that I got denied the wave was from a guy riding a chopper with a viking helmet on, complete with giant horns.

Bicyclists...eh they mostly piss me off. Why are you riding in the street and causing a backup? Every time I see a bicyclist here it is accompanied with a line of cars trying to get around him via the opposing lane, only they can't because cars are in that lane too. Ride on the drat sidewalk, or at least the shoulder for christ's sake.

nskowyra
Jul 25, 2007
Vice President of Cool
need help, maybe posted a nsfw pic, over in the " i love honda thread" anyone want to help a brother out? I dont know how to link a nsfw pic...

can i just leave it how it is?

thanks

posting this in the qustions one too if i dont get an answer soon from someone here or sigtrap

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nskowyra posted:

need help, maybe posted a nsfw pic, over in the " i love honda thread" anyone want to help a brother out? I dont know how to link a nsfw pic...

can i just leave it how it is?

thanks

posting this in the qustions one too if i dont get an answer soon from someone here or sigtrap

Change the tag around it from (img) to (url), just use [] instead of ().

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Uthor posted:

Out in the country, I wave at pretty much everyone but cars. People walking, cops, cyclists, horseback riders, and even the occasional person out mowing their law.

I always wave at cops/firefighters/la migra. I figure it's good karma.

pr0zac posted:

I always wave to bicyclists but kind of have the opposite thought, that they are thinking "Haha, I'm getting more exercise than you." Seeing as we both share the "likely to get runover by an SUV on the backroads" characteristic I don't think waving is THAT weird.

There is a certain camaraderie in the shared experience of looking over your shoulder for soccer moms on cell-phones.

nskowyra
Jul 25, 2007
Vice President of Cool

Z3n posted:

Change the tag around it from (img) to (url), just use [] instead of ().

thanks a ton man

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
The potholes in Chicago are really bad so far this year, and the up and down temperatures we're having now are only going to make things worse. Oh well, pothole slalom is fun and you should be paying enough attention to dodge them anyways!

Also most of the bicyclists I see on a regular basis are retarded and I rather dislike them. As a fellow person who is screwed if I get hit and has to dodge cars, their disregard for traffic laws irritates me. I've even had a couple of them cut me off while I was riding. I just want to be like 'Dude my full helmet and armored leathers are going to hold up a hell of a lot better than your loving spandex and little plastic beanie if you make us crash.'

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Oakey posted:

Also most of the bicyclists I see on a regular basis are retarded and I rather dislike them. As a fellow person who is screwed if I get hit and has to dodge cars, their disregard for traffic laws irritates me. I've even had a couple of them cut me off while I was riding. I just want to be like 'Dude my full helmet and armored leathers are going to hold up a hell of a lot better than your loving spandex and little plastic beanie if you make us crash.'

Yeah, that's the one thing that I don't stand for as a bicyclist...I stop at all stop signs, red lights, etc. I also try to obey the traffic laws as much as possible, but I'm not above riding on the sidewalk on hard uphills without a bike lane.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Gnaghi posted:

Bicyclists...eh they mostly piss me off. Why are you riding in the street and causing a backup? Every time I see a bicyclist here it is accompanied with a line of cars trying to get around him via the opposing lane, only they can't because cars are in that lane too. Ride on the drat sidewalk, or at least the shoulder for christ's sake.

Being originally from NJ I used to feel the same way. But now that I live in a city with a large amount of bicycle riders my opinions change. I feel that yes, there are dumbass bicyclists who will clog up traffic, but there are also situations where traffic is really dumb and for some reason won't pass, thus letting it back up until the bicyclist can pull over.

As for waving, I wave to bicycles on the motorcycle and motorcycles on the bicycle. The motorcyclists normally wave back, but the bicyclists normally look confused.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I respect cyclists because I used to do it quite avidly. Share the road! The only problem I have is when they get in the way of my sweet sweet lane splitting.
:911: California

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Phat_Albert posted:

It was 50F here in Ontario last Friday and it turned into super fun start of season bike day for everyone. I saw over ten bikes while rushing home to put the exhaust back on my bike and ride.

It started raining before I finished and continued raining throughout the weekend. Now its cold again. :(

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Please crush my pipe dream of getting an Aprilia RS 125 Street legalized in the States.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

blugu64 posted:

Please crush my pipe dream of getting an Aprilia RS 125 Street legalized in the States.

If you can plate a dirtbike in your state I don't see why you couldn't plate it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

blugu64 posted:

It's only a pipe dream if you can't afford one. 5.5 isn't bad. http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1069118621.html

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

blugu64 posted:

RS50's are legal. And sold here. The 50 and 125 are both maintenance whores.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Nerobro posted:

RS50's are legal. And sold here. The 50 and 125 are both maintenance whores.

I was giggling when a bloke at work turned up on a RS 125. We were chatting all day and he was telling me all about how awesome this bike was and how it wasn't the restricted one although he was only on a CBT (you're limited to 12bhp on a CBT, iirc the RS125 makes somewhere near 30). I was slightly cautious, especially due to the fact that it was parked next to my CB400 and he was trying to tell me how to do things.

Anyway, the reason I started giggling was that at the end of the day we got back to the yard and the first thing he does is run over and start the bike, then leg it off inside. Slightly puzzled I unlocked my bike and proceeded to get all my kit on, then he came back. When asked about the idling bike next to me, he told me it had to be warmed up for 10 minutes before you can use it.

I had a good chortle, started my bike, waved him goodbye and drove off. It might be awesome to have a bike with 30-odd horsepower on a CBT, but I'm not sure I could put up with idling the bike for 10 minutes before I went anywhere. Hell, I'd beat that dude getting anywhere if I was on my XR125, at least on a shortish ride.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

He's wrong, there's no reason that I can think of that you would need to warm any 2 stroke up for 10 minutes. Their lubrication systems are dead simple. If anything 2 strokes require less warm up.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

The aprilia's run very, very tight piston clearances. If the barrel isn't warm, and the piston is, the motor WILL soft seize.

That said 10 minutes is excessive... If I recall the article in BIKE properly, you are supposed to wait for the coolant gauge to move, then you can ride gently till the motor comes up to temp.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well gently caress you aprilia :colbert:

also what about your chronic lying?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Phat_Albert posted:

I rode to work Monday morning. I think it was 20-something degrees out. Then a storm moved in so I had to ride home in the snow :smith: It wasn't too bad since my commute is only 3 miles but every person on the road looked at me like I was loving insane (good call). If you think rain on your visor is annoying, try scooping off handfulls of sleet :v:

As long as it's dry I'll do ~5 miles down into the teens and I have no special or heated gear or grips.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
My mechanic friend always tells me to be very careful warming up dirtbikes that have wiseco pistons in them. Since they are a bit harder or something you really want to let the bike just idle up to temperature then start riding on it. It probably takes my YZ 3-5 minutes to get nice and warm.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

Well gently caress you aprilia :colbert:

also what about your chronic lying?

It's my suspicion that he's lying about aprilias to turn me off them :colbert:

I just think it'd be amazingly awesome to have a bike lighter then my ninja, with a little more power, and just happens to be a two stroke. It'd be great to bounce around Dallas with. Oh and its Italian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
At the risk of this turning up in my next Helldump callout:

Has anyone offered a ride to a total stranger and had them accept?

Minor anecdotal bit: I'd only been riding for a month, and was stopped at a stoplight by the UT Austin campus around 11PM. Really cute indie chick in a short skirt was at the crosswalk. She made some comment, I said "I'd offer you a ride, but you're wearing a skirt." She replied "oh, I wish!"

Probably good she didn't take it, since I was barely confident in my ability to not kill myself at 30mph, much less another person. Plus I'd bought my bike well-beaten, and missing the passenger footpeg on the left side from when it was dropped.

At the risk of inviting bragging and bullshit: anyone offered a cute girl/guy a ride out of the blue and had them accept?