Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.

Satsuki posted:

Oddly enough, both of your examples are not Marvel Universe figures. :)

Same production lines, same company. I lump them all in the same lovely category.

edit: Except for Silver Surfer, Iron Man( to a degree), and Hulk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DarkPrime posted:

Same here, only mine came from TRU. Does your figure tend to lean to one side after a while?
I haven't noticed that yet, no.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Deadpool has been the only little fig I really like if you ditch that sai

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Stage of History posted:

Deadpool has been the only little fig I really like if you ditch that sai

Just got the one you sent me (insanely quick shipping). He is pretty cool and nicely done, but the scale is utterly terrible. I knew the GI Joes and stuff were small, but this is something I'd expect to get out of a gumball machine, not pay almost full price of a Legends scaled figure.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

So since I've decided that the mini-Deadpool isn't up to par with what I want, I'm going to attempt a custom.

Right now for a base, I think I'm going to attempt to get a ML Moon Knight for the body, and maybe a Walmart 2-Pack Cable for the pouchy legs and guns. Not going for complete accuracy, but I thought the it might be less wasteful and slightly than just getting a Domino for the accessories and attatching them.

Does anyone with experience know if that sounds like it would be feasible?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Donde Esta posted:

So since I've decided that the mini-Deadpool isn't up to par with what I want, I'm going to attempt a custom.

Right now for a base, I think I'm going to attempt to get a ML Moon Knight for the body, and maybe a Walmart 2-Pack Cable for the pouchy legs and guns. Not going for complete accuracy, but I thought the it might be less wasteful and slightly than just getting a Domino for the accessories and attatching them.

I've done numerous custom figures, and I can tell you that Marvel Legends are pretty easy to mix and match parts with, especially something as easy as doing a leg swap at the thighs.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Finally saw the GI Joe sized Marvel figures. Holy poo poo those are not worth 7.99.

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
Toys R' Us has some unmasked Rorschachs out now. Around here anyway at least. I grabbed a few on my way home for me and some friends. It looks pretty decent.

Action Serious fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 8, 2009

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Anyone have decent pics of those Watchmen figs? Who makes em?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

DC Direct. go to mwctoys.com for pics and a review.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

So I have about 50 DC Direct and DCUC figures to sell. I need the most amount of money possible but I'll probably put them on SA Mart first before resorting to e bay. Would it be better to list them as a lot, or one at a time, since most are missing their stands, a couple missing accessories and only two are still in the box?

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Just list the figures individually, and if they have any important things missing, make a note of that. Also, if you have any Fourth World DCUC (Darkseid, Orion, Lightray, Big Barda, Kalibak) and a regular Superman I'll snatch those up.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I have a DCUC Orion but only a DC Direct regularly Superman, give me a few days to get everything together and I'll get back to you about prices, etc

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

Grem posted:

I have a DCUC Orion but only a DC Direct regularly Superman, give me a few days to get everything together and I'll get back to you about prices, etc

post them in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2947000&pagenumber=20#lastpost

I'm notoriously cheap myself but I'd probably be interested in a good number of your figures.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Yea post em theres a scant few DCUC figs I need, but I might be able to take some off your hands.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
I wasn't really into the figures.. but gently caress I couldn't resist getting some Blank Whites..

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Oh man, Obamugg is awesome. I might have to pick some of these up. I got a ton of acrylic paint and I might even be able to play it off as a sunday afternoon craft activity with the gf if I play my cards right.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Donde Esta posted:

Oh man, Obamugg is awesome. I might have to pick some of these up. I got a ton of acrylic paint and I might even be able to play it off as a sunday afternoon craft activity with the gf if I play my cards right.

Thanks!

Dude.. it is SO fuckin' fun. My Might Mugg collection quadrupled (I only had one.. LOL) after finding the Blanks.

I cleaned up my Cobra B.A.T. and added the ponytail on Akuma.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Do some of those have LED's in them? They look awesome by the way, if I had any sort of confidence in my ability to paint something I'd give it a shot. Love the Ninja.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Do some of those have LED's in them? They look awesome by the way, if I had any sort of confidence in my ability to paint something I'd give it a shot. Love the Ninja.

No LED's but I used a foil sticker when I thought the eyes should glow.

Thanks! It was a lot easier than I thought it would be to go from attempting to custom my figures to just making my own Muggs. Since the detail level is so low it's almost like drawing a stick figure compared to trying to paint details on a Marvel Legend or something.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

z0rschach posted:

Yea post em theres a scant few DCUC figs I need, but I might be able to take some off your hands.

Just adding to the interest. There's a select few I need like Two Face, Batman Beyond, or Artemis.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Jet Ready Go posted:

No LED's but I used a foil sticker when I thought the eyes should glow.

Thanks! It was a lot easier than I thought it would be to go from attempting to custom my figures to just making my own Muggs. Since the detail level is so low it's almost like drawing a stick figure compared to trying to paint details on a Marvel Legend or something.

Muggs are easy. Legends are easy once you figure out the little tricks to make it easy on you. Here is a little set of hints for those wanting to get into ML customizing that I have picked up over the years.

1: Be prepared before you start.

This is where most people fail before they even begin. Have a idea of what you are going to have to do before you start. Personally I try to make it so I have to do as little sculpting and painting as possible. I know some people that can make amazing work out of fodder you wouldn't believe. Most people can't.

2: Get the right tools.

Before you start make sure you have these few things at least. A rotary tool of some sort, various sizes and grades of sandpaper, exacto knife,super glue and epoxy. Go out and buy some GOOD quality paint brushes of various sizes and types. I personally like camel hair brushes, but there are very good and affordable synthetic brushes available as well. If you are going to do some sculpting I can not recommend Apoxie Sculpt and Aves Fixit-Sculpt enough. They are both fantastic products and if you buy in bulk will last quite some time. Also a decent set of sculpting tools are a excellent and cheap investment.

3: Don't be a cheapskate and buy good quality paint.

Yes, I know you can buy 16 gallons of Apple Barrel paint at Wal-Mart of 25 cents. I have used it myself in a pinch before. Let me tell you that it is junk. Your cheapy craft paints won't stick to the plastic well and will look chalky and flake off over time. Do yourself a favor and goto a hobby store or order online so good quality model paints. Vallejo Game Color, Testors Model Master Acryl, Game Workshop, Taiyma Arcylic Color are all fantastic paints. Whatever you do, avoid Enamels. They won't stick or dry on Marvel Legend type figures. Also, before you open your paint give it a good shake for about a minute or two. Some paints can separate over time. It is better to be safe than sorry. Also do not waste money on gold paint. You can make any metallic color by painting a coat of a silver and then a coat of a clear color on top of that. Tamiya Clear is far and away the best of these.

4: Before you do anything wash the figure! Your figure will be covered with mold release, grime and oils from your hands. All of this will cause problems for you later unless you give it a good wash. Use warm soapy water and get a old toothbrush and scrub it down. Make sure you get the joints well too. Afterwards make sure it is completely dry before you do anything else.

5: Thin out your paint! This is the biggest mistake most people make. It is much better to make several thin coats of paint than one heavy one. For a base coat I tend to do about a 2 to 1 ratio of paint to water. It will still be a little thick. Wipe the excess off of your brush and go slow and thin. I tend to make about 3 coats on my basecoat. If you do it right you will see no brush marks and the paint will be uniform. Also goto your local hardware stock and buy a box of ceramic tiles for holding your paint. I can get a huge box on sale for a few dollars and it will last you for quite some time. It is much cheaper than you alternatives. Also after you are done you can just chuck them.

6: Learn how to wash and dry brush. These two techniques are the key to a good paint job. For your wash you want to choose a darker color than your base coat. The ratio you want is 1:2 paint to water. It will be the consistency of milk. You want to dip your brush in and make a light coat at first. If it beads up it is too thin, if it covers your base coat it is too thick. A proper wash will bring out the details in the sculpt IE muscles and other little details. You can also use a paper towel to wipe off some of the excess paint on the surface while leaving it in the cracks and crevices.

Dry brushing is pretty much the opposite of a wash. You put a lighter color on top of a darker color. You want to dip the tip of your brush into the paint and then use a towel to wipe off almost all of the paint on the brush. Then you want to lightly go over the surface almost like you are dusting the figure. After a little bit the paint will cover the surface.

7: How to deal with paint rub. No mater how good your paint is, you will most likely have to deal with paint rub in the joints at some point. There are several different things you can try to combat it. None of them work 100% of the time. The first is to sand down the disc part of the joint to try and make sure it won't rub. This works to varying degrees of success. The next is to use a small amount of super glue put onto the joint to seal the paint. If you going to try this after you drop the glue in start moving the joint until the glue is dry. If you don't the glue will dry in the joint making it useless. The last I just read about the other day, which involves putting small sticks of styrene into the joints while heated. I have not tried it so I am not sure how or how well it works.

I could go on and on forever on this. Most people think that it is real easy and try to rush through it too quickly. It normally takes me a day or two to get through painting a figure if it is a easy job. Hell I am still no where near done with my favorite project, mainly because I can't get another X2 figure to save my life. (Hint if anyone has a X2 Optic Blast Cyclops or Iceman they would be willing to give me, let me know!)

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Djarum posted:

Vallejo Game Color, Testors Model Master Acryl, Game Workshop, Taiyma Arcylic Color are all fantastic paints.

I just have to emphasize how good Citadel Paint from Games Workshop are. Brilliant colors, smooth texture, fast drying. They're a tad pricey and a bit hard to find (ie not at Hobby Lobby), but they're the best figure paints I've ever used.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Fish Of Doom posted:

I just have to emphasize how good Citadel Paint from Games Workshop are. Brilliant colors, smooth texture, fast drying. They're a tad pricey and a bit hard to find (ie not at Hobby Lobby), but they're the best figure paints I've ever used.

Under the good advisement of goons I tracked down a local hobby shop that carried the paint and grabbed a few of them. Once I get back to school I'm going to start on some customs and try them out.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Fish Of Doom posted:

I like Citadel and Taiyma Acrylic Color the best myself. Neither are cheap but well worth the money.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Saw the new wave of Marvel Universe figs the other night. Cap looks (surprisingly) pretty good, but Iron Fist and especially grey Gulk looked like poo poo. Hulk's hair wasn't even completely painted; it was like they did one pass with a brush and that was it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Shiftypenguin posted:

Saw the new wave of Marvel Universe figs the other night. Cap looks (surprisingly) pretty good, but Iron Fist and especially grey Gulk looked like poo poo. Hulk's hair wasn't even completely painted; it was like they did one pass with a brush and that was it.

From what I have heard and seen I think Hasbro's plan is to make them as cheaply as possible. I saw several figures at the store the other day with serious defects (missing body parts, broken inside the package, missing paint apps, mold defects). I got some Chap Mei figures that are better quality than most of the Marvel Universe figures. Why would Hasbro release these?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Djarum posted:

(missing body parts, broken inside the package)

It's like Showdown all over!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Holy poo poo, awesome Grey Fox!

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

The Captain Americas at my walmart were varied in their paint jobs pretty wildly. The rest looked ok, just ugly molds.

My LCB owner thinks most of them look nice, but he's pretty worried that he might not be able to sell them because he has a hard time justifying the 12.99 price tag on something so small. He said he won't be collecting them and has only ordered a case.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

z0rschach posted:

It's like Showdown all over!

Sadly I think the Showdown figures had slightly better quality control. I haven't seen certain figures without a issue.

Donde Esta posted:

The Captain Americas at my walmart were varied in their paint jobs pretty wildly. The rest looked ok, just ugly molds.

My LCB owner thinks most of them look nice, but he's pretty worried that he might not be able to sell them because he has a hard time justifying the 12.99 price tag on something so small. He said he won't be collecting them and has only ordered a case.

That has been the main complaint from most retailers I have talked too, both in major retail and LCBs. The prices are just entirely too high for what they are selling. At a Walmart or Target when you have them right next to GI Joe and Star Wars figures for either the same or cheaper price it makes them look worse. I went to my old LCBS when I went out of town last weekend and he was bitching about not being able to move them.

I think certain things like the Secret Wars and the Giant sized (Icons) figures will fairly do well. The stand alone figures don't seem like they are going over well.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Regardless of what the future holds for MU, for all intents and purposes they have been out a week or less with no clear date of release (yes I know they were labeled 3/1/09 but the only stores that put them out on or prior to that was Kmart and any LCS that ordered), most stores are finally putting them out this week.

It's a bit early to be complaining about them not moving ... especially an LCS who is probably sitting on Legendary Comic Heroes Series 1 and DC Direct's last year offerings, but those MU figures, sitting here a week, they have gone too far! Comic stores really have no reason to order 3 3/4" figures anyway, since they have to mark them up so high to compensate for Diamond's inflated prices. That's not just for MU, but everything, I'm not going to pay $10+ for GI Joes or Star Wars either.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

I hope the MU line fails. Hate hate hate them. Besides the scale, price, and quality issues, the male to female ratio is horrendous. One female for forty male figures? Orgies are better than gangbangs. At this rate, it will take ages before we finally make up the ML female offerings. I will only begrudingly collect these things if ML line dies completely.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I saw my first MU's this past weekend from Wolverine Origins series. All I have to say is horrendous. I saw Gambit and Maverick, two figures I was kinda looking forward to and the paint job on both was awful as were the sculpts.

I'll have to see some of the upcoming figures and female figures but I doubt I'll be buying more than 2 or 3 ever.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If anyone preordered DC Universe Classics Wave 7 (Beetle, Booster, Barda, Flash, Kid Flash, Captain Cold, camo Aquaman) from Corner Store Comics, check your credit or debit card statements carefully for fraudulent charges. A LOT of collectors on other message boards have been hit, and the common thread was Corner Store Comics orders that were processed and charged over the last two weeks. Somehow their system was compromised, and they've posted bits of information on the Fwoosh and some Spawn board (yet nothing on their own website, and no e-mails to recent customers). I had Beetle and Booster preordered through them, but luckily they didn't charge my card yet, and I canceled the entire credit card to avoid any problems. Seriously, be careful.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

If for some reason you're looking for Kid Flash, Black Manta, or Superman (Red or Blue), they have them at Toys R Us online for $9.99. They also have a bunch of Legendary Heroes for $4.98 which make for great custom fodder. I think I saw something about if you order more than $20.00, you get free shipping too.

TripHawkins4ever
Nov 7, 2004

$599 U.S. Dollars $599 U.S. Dollars $599 U.S. Dollars

Donde Esta posted:

A good choice for the pouches is also Marvel Legends Bullseye. The Deadpool is perfect though!! He is the preferred choice for most Deadpool customs. Styrene strips are also pretty good for some of the accents around the costume, and can be found for pretty cheap at most any hobby shop.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

TripHawkins4ever posted:

A good choice for the pouches is also Marvel Legends Bullseye. The Deadpool is perfect though!! He is the preferred choice for most Deadpool customs. Styrene strips are also pretty good for some of the accents around the costume, and can be found for pretty cheap at most any hobby shop.

Actually the new hotness for Deadpool is Union Jack with a Moon Knight head modded.

liquidswordz
Mar 21, 2003
I picked up five of the 3 3/4" Marvel Universe figures for a little under retail on eBay and I don't really get the complaints. The sculpts are really nice, aside from a few issues of proportion (Daredevil's a little thick around the midsection and Wolverine is WAY too tall) and the paint is pretty good overall (Wolverine is a little sloppy). The articulation is good and I dig the accessories, even if they don't all make sense (because a guy with claws on both hands needs a machine gun AND a sword). I agree that they're too expensive, though. I'd really only want to pay about $7 for them, but they only retail for $8, so it's really not that bad. If they're going to release the "Gigantic Battles" sets (12" characters in scale with a 3 3/4" figure for $25), I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

So I picked up a DCUC Hal Jordan today because I wanted to paint him into a Blue Lantern. I was all excited, took him out of the pack and started throwing down paint. I already had the base coat down when I realized his right arm was broken at the elbow and his left arm is completely locked out and doesn't bend.

I went ahead and painted him anyways, and hot drat, you guys were right about the citadel paint. I'll post some pictures once I get back to school sunday(left my camera, doh!), but it looks legit.

I'm still kind of mad about it though, as I was thinking about putting it up for auction and I know the arm thing will put a lot of people off. I'm calling Mattel first thing tomorrow and bitching. I'm not sure I'll get anything out of it, but at least I'll feel better.

EDIT: Now with semi-blurry pictures!(found a crappy camera)

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

Also I called Mattel, they took down a lot of my information but didn't have the product number in the system and the lady wasn't there. So they said to call back Monday.

Donde Esta fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 13, 2009