Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

Depends on the DM, I guess, but personally I would have knocked V straight to Neutral for agreeing to the pact, and would be watching like a hawk for Evil acts.

Wasn't he already Neutral?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
V waited(held action) for the dragon to cast a spell because he was anticipating another anti-magic field. He then used the quickened version to interrupt the spell, since all that damage would make a concentration check to keep the spell nigh-impossible.

It's highly unlikely the dragon memorized THREE anti-magic fields.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

He used Disjunction to counter the Anti-Magic Field; Disintegrate was used to, you know, try and disintegrate the dragon. Or his family, maybe; we won't know until we get a zoom out on and see whatever it was he targeted.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Cabbit posted:

He used Disjunction to counter the Anti-Magic Field; Disintegrate was used to, you know, try and disintegrate the dragon. Or his family, maybe; we won't know until we get a zoom out on and see whatever it was he targeted.
You really think V will go all Keiser Söze and kill his own family? :smith: I really hope the dragon isn't Hungarian.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Pope Guilty posted:

What are the odds that V is bright enough to immediately end the Soul Splice, thereby minimizing demonic access?

I think at minimum V will teleport his family to Durkon for healing. He could let the power go at that point, but I get the feeling he'll make excuses to just do one more thing while he has it.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

CapnAndy posted:

Disintegrate is sorta a quick death, isn't it? Maybe V's banking that the dragon will survive it.

Terry Pratchett has a bit about how long it takes to kill people in at least one of his books. Evil people will draw a death out and enjoy watching their victim suffer before death, much like the dragon is doing to V's family. A truly good person will kill their victim quickly and decisively.

Let's see what kind of person V is.

Edit: Also love the Rolling Stones lyrics as comic titles for soul-spliced V.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

IMJack posted:

Terry Pratchett has a bit about how long it takes to kill people in at least one of his books. Evil people will draw a death out and enjoy watching their victim suffer before death, much like the dragon is doing to V's family. A truly good person will kill their victim quickly and decisively.

Let's see what kind of person V is.

Edit: Also love the Rolling Stones lyrics as comic titles for soul-spliced V.

Men at Arms is maybe my favorite Pratchett book, and that little bit at the end is part of it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Cabbit posted:

Ah, I didn't even see the disjunction panel, I figured he was interrupting spellcasting.

Also I doubt disentigrate will kill the dragon, there is only so much damage that spell can do, probably not as much as a dragon has.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

greatn posted:

Also I doubt disentigrate will kill the dragon, there is only so much damage that spell can do, probably not as much as a dragon has.

Disintegrate tops out at 40d6 damage (assuming V's still playing 3.5)--maximum of 240 damage. An ancient black dragon has 387 HP on average. Even if the dragon failed his save (usually unlikely, but V's got a lot of power), it's still going to be around for a few more rounds of magic blasting.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!
He's using Disintegrate as a callback purely for sentimental reasons. Remember, he disintegrated the dragon's kid.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

rex monday posted:

He's using Disintegrate as a callback purely for sentimental reasons. Remember, he disintegrated the dragon's kid.

"Say 'Disintigrate' one more time, Vaarsuvius. For me."

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

greatn posted:

It's highly unlikely the dragon memorized THREE anti-magic fields.

don't dragons use magic like sorcerers in 3.5?

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

terminal mehmet posted:

don't dragons use magic like sorcerers in 3.5?

Yeah. Although with all the power stuffed in V (including a sorcerer), he's probably got more disjunctions than the dragon has sixth-level slots, and with V quickening spells, it's a waste of the dragon's spells and turns to just throw up further antimagic fields.

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Yeah. Although with all the power stuffed in V (including a sorcerer), he's probably got more disjunctions than the dragon has sixth-level slots, and with V quickening spells, it's a waste of the dragon's spells and turns to just throw up further antimagic fields.

Except that it's been a scant few minutes at most since the dragon left V on the island and has no idea what she(?)'s facing currently. It's quite possible that the dragon tries it again out of desperation as the situation progresses.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pope Guilty posted:

What of it?

E: Are you getting at the idea that he shouldn't have access to spell slots that high? Look at it this way. V is operating on V's caster levels, plus those of the three souls spliced with his. Let's be conservative and say that those uber-powerful casters were 15th level each;
Didn't the coalition state they were all Epic-level spellcasters?

Cabbit posted:

He was aiming the Disintegrate in the same direction as the Disjunction.

Pyre_89
May 14, 2007

Saskatchewan Roughriders are the best football team EVAR!
I think OotS is suffering from what I like to call "The Erfworld Problem" right now . . . The story is good, and all these moments should be really kickass, but there is too much time between comics, which fucks up the momentum.
Frankly, I don't care if he takes a month to do it right now, I think he should draw out the remainder of this sequence and then post them all everyday for two weeks, or however long it takes. That would make it even more kickass

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

This episode is pretty much making my brain go like :derp: for the next one.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Pyre_89 posted:

I think OotS is suffering from what I like to call "The Erfworld Problem" right now . . . The story is good, and all these moments should be really kickass, but there is too much time between comics, which fucks up the momentum.
Frankly, I don't care if he takes a month to do it right now, I think he should draw out the remainder of this sequence and then post them all everyday for two weeks, or however long it takes. That would make it even more kickass

Once you read Goblins, OotS's update schedule seems pretty good.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007

Reacean posted:

Except that it's been a scant few minutes at most since the dragon left V on the island and has no idea what she(?)'s facing currently. It's quite possible that the dragon tries it again out of desperation as the situation progresses.

The dragon's almost certainly got enough ranks in Spellcraft to ID the spells V just threw as ninth- and tenth-level, and thus know that V's playing a different ballgame than before. If dragons weren't arrogant sons of bitches, I'd say the dragon would suck up the disintegration damage and teleport his rear end out of there ASAP.

But they are arrogant sons of bitches, so s/he'll probably try to take on V in magical combat, which I'm hoping will give us a few panels of awesome before V wastes him/her with some crazy empowered, sonic-substituted, meteor swarm. :woop:

(Unless V is really going off the deep end and uses the newfound power for maximum cruelty instead of a big kill . . . which is probably going to happen.)

Pyre_89
May 14, 2007

Saskatchewan Roughriders are the best football team EVAR!

A Big Dark Yak posted:

empowered, sonic-substituted, meteor swarm. :woop:

Yes, this! I just remembered that that Jephton fellow was an Archmage, and could (potentially) substitute energy types.
Now that, I must say, would be kickass.

Edit: It's still bugging the hell out of me that the house disapeared with the Disjunction . . . maybe V's house was a magnificent mansion . . .

Pyre_89 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 12, 2009

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't think the house disappeared, I think it's just off-camera and the perspective of the two wide-angle shots is inconsistent. If you look at the bottom left of the lower panel you can see the gray path that would be leading up to the front door.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

A Big Dark Yak posted:

The dragon's almost certainly got enough ranks in Spellcraft to ID the spells V just threw as ninth- and tenth-level, and thus know that V's playing a different ballgame than before. If dragons weren't arrogant sons of bitches, I'd say the dragon would suck up the disintegration damage and teleport his rear end out of there ASAP.

But they are arrogant sons of bitches, so s/he'll probably try to take on V in magical combat, which I'm hoping will give us a few panels of awesome before V wastes him/her with some crazy empowered, sonic-substituted, meteor swarm. :woop:

(Unless V is really going off the deep end and uses the newfound power for maximum cruelty instead of a big kill . . . which is probably going to happen.)
Honestly, the dragon's obsession with revenge will probably direct its spells against V's family instead-the dragon will quickly realize it's no match for V but still has an opportunity to strike against the kids and V's life partner.

That said, the chances of the dragon's soul being imprisoned strike me as being alarmingly high.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Dragons strike me as always, ALWAYS a cliche. Everything they do might as well be accompanied by sitting in a revolving chair stroking a white cat. On that note I can't see the dragon just breathing on V's family and will instead use his last remaining moments to question V about his newfound power, perhaps attempt to make a deal, who knows.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Bell_ posted:

Honestly, the dragon's obsession with revenge will probably direct its spells against V's family instead-the dragon will quickly realize it's no match for V but still has an opportunity to strike against the kids and V's life partner.

"Quickened wall of force."

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

What are the odds that V is bright enough to immediately end the Soul Splice, thereby minimizing demonic access?

That's not how pacts with demons work.

tazman posted:

Sooo, will this whole Soul Splice thing affect V's alignment?

Seeing how the last comic mentioned he's "getting feedback, alignment-wise" I'd say he's firmly in "Evil" territory now. That and how V looks. Good/Neutral things don't have pointed teeth.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Or red fire embroidered on their now jet-black robes.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Or blazing red eyes.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Or colored speech bubbles.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Or pointed ears!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Or, uh, gender neutrality.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
when he skullfucks the dragon in front of his family all questions will be answered

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Well, that would certainly answer two questions, at least.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

SoupyTwist posted:

That's not how pacts with demons work.

Seeing how the last comic mentioned he's "getting feedback, alignment-wise" I'd say he's firmly in "Evil" territory now. That and how V looks. Good/Neutral things don't have pointed teeth.

Pretty sure they stated he would have a hard time maintaining control of the splice. I think he can dump the splice when he wants to, they're counting on him to not do so.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Who's to bet that V's mate will be left stuck to the tree for a while as V cooks up things to do with the newfound power of 3 epic spellcasters? Personally I'm hoping for an attempt to use those scrolls the dragon had to make the splice permanent (in an attempt to stop giving up her own soul), oh the folly of it all!

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
I wouldn't be suprised if thats what the IFCC has in mind. V would have to die sometime right? And if he spent say, 500 years with those souls spliced, the IFCC would have 1500 years to play with V basically. Devil's are known for their patience for greater rewards right?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

tazman posted:

I wouldn't be suprised if thats what the IFCC has in mind. V would have to die sometime right? And if he spent say, 500 years with those souls spliced, the IFCC would have 1500 years to play with V basically. Devil's are known for their patience for greater rewards right?

But they want to use V to unleash/control the Snarl...?

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

New strip:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Next strip is going to be awesome. The number of things a level 70+ wizard could do to torture a dragon is already pretty insane, and V is even more ridiculously powerful than that...

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Holy poo poo, V. Look about fifteen miles behind you -- that's the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Haha, they made popcorn.