Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Shartjorts posted:

I picked up one of those Yamaha TVL SA503s that Guitar Center was blowing out for $500. Got one of my old co-workers to match it down to $400.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-SA503-TVL-Troy-Van-Leeuwen-Signature-Electric-Guitar-512447-i1168013.gc

The p90s aren't vintage voiced, which feels odd until you get used to them. Good cleans, loves dirt. A few finish problems that don't bother me but i did find these two things. (linked for hugeness)

https://wi.somethingawful.com/03/03dd9732c197f1360a4544e9c404d5b53ea55fee.jpg
Weird red poo poo on the second fret. Too bright to be rust, maybe paint?

https://wi.somethingawful.com/bd/bde1ecf83cb39e8826b4472504620919259f2f8e.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/f5/f53768f92ccd5cf3ba6b53048d6efc08269d145b.jpg

the nut looks like it's fixed to the neck at an angle, possibly even repaired. And like the red poo poo on the second fret, I've never seen it before.

Bums me out because it's a pretty sweet guitar for the price.

That guitar is badfuckinass and I'm jealous. The red poo poo on the fret is most likely a little touchup from the fretboard. Most rosewood has a bit of color inconsistency to it so they put a little stain on there to even it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Gramps posted:

That guitar is badfuckinass and I'm jealous. The red poo poo on the fret is most likely a little touchup from the fretboard. Most rosewood has a bit of color inconsistency to it so they put a little stain on there to even it out.

They shouldnt, my RGA has a slightly darker strip on the board and it looks great.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Does anyone have any experience with one of these?

I'm looking for a low-end bass for recording, and I have a soft spot for bright pink. Any word on the quality?

EDIT:

Also, this is mighty sexy.

Engine Fortegue fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Mar 10, 2009

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Engine Fortegue posted:

Does anyone have any experience with one of these?

I'm looking for a low-end bass for recording, and I have a soft spot for bright pink. Any word on the quality?

EDIT:

I've been looking for something gaudy and cheap and have been interested in both of these, I'd love some feedback as well

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
My most ghetto extension cab. Found a gutted Behringer in a Goodwill. It was just the box with a speaker in it; the amp itself had been removed entirely. The speaker was a 12" Celestion, though, definitely not stock for a Behringer. Hooked the speaker up to a stereo to make sure it still worked and walked out with it for $15. Took it home, soldered the speaker to a Les Paul jack I screwed into the back of the cab, and added a sheet of plywood over the back because the bass was a bit weak. Asked my dad if he would paint something to fill the gap where the amp was to give it that personal touch, too. The thing sounds loving awesome. Behold!

I also put a hold on a used one of these at Guitar Center for $1,300. Gotta sell some gear to pay it off now.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Engine Fortegue posted:

I had an older Korean-made Epiphone T-bird which I absolutely loved. I have no experience with the newer Chinese Epis, but the good thing about MF is that you have a 45-day return policy.

It'll give you some great rock-tones, does the whole "gibson mud" thing pretty drat well. Though neckdive on it is a bitch. Be sure you have a good strap. Or move the strap button to the back of the neckplate.

EDIT: Weird, except for the silver-burst, they're all Alder. Mine (sunburst) was Alder in the middle with Mahogany "wings."

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

T-birds look like they'd have so much ridiculous neck dive.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

West Ham Sandwich posted:

T-birds look like they'd have so much ridiculous neck dive.

They do. I was pretty sore after a show while playing with one. But like I said, it's easily alleviated by moving the strap lug to the neck-plate. It's one of the two things that desperately need changing on the T-bird. The second being the 3-point bridge.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

I just don't understand how that gets past QA or something. You can tell that's going to be a problem just by looking at it. v:shobon:v

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

West Ham Sandwich posted:

I just don't understand how that gets past QA or something. You can tell that's going to be a problem just by looking at it. v:shobon:v

Well on the Gibsons (which are set-neck or even neck-thru) they put the lug on the neck joint. But it's kind of odd to put a lug on a neck-plate for a bolt-on...

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

I'm such an indecisive window shopping piece of poo poo.

Maybe this? Lot's of people on these here forums are all about SX instruments, and it's way more cost effective then the epiphone.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Engine Fortegue posted:

Maybe this? Lot's of people on these here forums are all about SX instruments, and it's way more cost effective then the epiphone.

My only experience with SX is the fretless neck that I put on my P-bass. It's been great thus far (especially for the price). So yeah, do it up. You really can't go wrong with an SX for the money. Plus you can mod the hell out of it and not feel too bad about wrecking it.

EDIT: Although, I'm partial to the blue SX they have on there :3:

Scarf fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 10, 2009

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

That looks pretty awesome, though I've only ever heard about Rondo, no first hand experience. I don't like j pups but that's just me.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Thumposaurus posted:

I have a new friend :3:

Went together pretty easy except for me breaking one of the switches somehow.

I'll see about doing some sound clips if anyone is interested.

I'm building one right now and i can get sound but for some reason my mod patch switch doesn't want to work unless i jiggle it. I'm just going to avoid wrestling with it until spring break.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Engine Fortegue posted:

I've got an SX fretless 5-string that I got for like $130, and it's really amazing quality for the price. The electronics are nothing spectacular or anything, but they do the job, and the overall build quality is really remarkable for the price.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I had two SX's, one I left stock, one I modded the crap out of. Both were excellent instruments for the price and held me over nicely while I waited for my Stambaugh to be built.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I need a jaquar bass. A real vintage one. Anyone have any ideas?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Rkelly posted:

I need a jaquar bass. A real vintage one. Anyone have any ideas?

No such thing as far as Fender is concerned. Closest thing you can get is a Fender Bass VI from the early '60s. Better break out the wallet on that one. HIGHLY sought after.

The actual Jaguar Bass didn't come out until just a few years ago.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 10, 2009

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

Thanks for the advice guys! Imma pull the trigger next pay-day.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

My most ghetto extension cab. Found a gutted Behringer in a Goodwill. It was just the box with a speaker in it; the amp itself had been removed entirely. The speaker was a 12" Celestion, though, definitely not stock for a Behringer.. Took it home, soldered the speaker to a Les Paul jack I screwed into the back of the cab, and added a sheet of plywood over the back because the bass was a bit weak. Behold!

Awesome; I'm doing something similar currently. Way cheaper to use what's avalible than buy something new. Using the 12" speaker in my "starter" amp, installed a DPDT switch ($4 at radio shack) on the back with an aux input jack and jacked my Valve Jr. into it. The DPDT switch allows me to toggle between using the internal Crate amp, or the Aux input. More details

I'm torn between putting a Celestion in there or simply selling the Crate amp and building a 2x12. Right now it just has the 12" crap 86 dB sensitivity made in china speaker (although admittedly it doesn't sound completely terrible).

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?
Just paused playing this bass to post!

A Status S2, Graphite neck bolt on 5 string. Unlike most Status's this one has a walnut body with maple wings. Which gives it a slightly warmer tone then usual.

Fits in with the rest of my collection very well. Lovely tone :)

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

Asomodai posted:

Just paused playing this bass to post!

A Status S2, Graphite neck bolt on 5 string. Unlike most Status's this one has a walnut body with maple wings. Which gives it a slightly warmer tone then usual.

Fits in with the rest of my collection very well. Lovely tone :)

That has got to be one of, if not, the sexiest bass EVER made. Seriously props on that.

I really want this guitar, so it's what I've been saving up for the last 3 months and the next 3 as a graduation present. Blabla yeah LOG, but I really like the band and the guitar's an absolute beast. It's basically a Les Paul sound with a smart way of handling the stupid hump it's got at the 12th fret. It'll also by my first $1000+ guitar so yeah.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

Steiler Drep posted:

I really want this guitar, so it's what I've been saving up for the last 3 months and the next 3 as a graduation present. Blabla yeah LOG, but I really like the band and the guitar's an absolute beast. It's basically a Les Paul sound with a smart way of handling the stupid hump it's got at the 12th fret. It'll also by my first $1000+ guitar so yeah.

Not to be a dick or anything, but that guitar is ugly as all sin. They sound good, and play alright, but they seriously look, to me, like a not-particularly-naturally-talented luthiery student's first guitar design. It basically looks like a wooden ink blot.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I got my Freq Boost in, it's actually different than I thought in its appearance. The online picture, and the box graphic for that matter, make it appear as though the case itself is sort of a metallic beige. In fact it is a mild mint green, and the text is a darker forest greenish color. Pleasant surprise, I like the look of it. It is also very well made, with sturdy jacks, a very solid 3pdt true-bypass switch, a knurled metal knob mounted on a very firm potentiometer. It even comes with a 200ma 9V adapter, saving me a trip, and a battery to boot (it claims 300 hours of battery life, too, which I sort of believe, these simple op-amp treble boosts shouldn't eat up battery in their use). I'll post pictures of it tomorrow when the Orange Squash gets in, I'm curious to see what color that one is now.

And I'll have clips incoming tomorrow as well.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Agreed posted:

I got my Freq Boost in, it's actually different than I thought in its appearance. The online picture, and the box graphic for that matter, make it appear as though the case itself is sort of a metallic beige. In fact it is a mild mint green, and the text is a darker forest greenish color. Pleasant surprise, I like the look of it.

It started out white, but now that it's been discontinued, it's now vintage and the paint has oxidized to a mint green :)

Mine is stuck at the UPS terminal one city over from me. It arrives tomorrow, I hope

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Agreed posted:

I got my Freq Boost in, it's actually different than I thought in its appearance. The online picture, and the box graphic for that matter, make it appear as though the case itself is sort of a metallic beige. In fact it is a mild mint green, and the text is a darker forest greenish color. Pleasant surprise, I like the look of it. It is also very well made, with sturdy jacks, a very solid 3pdt true-bypass switch, a knurled metal knob mounted on a very firm potentiometer. It even comes with a 200ma 9V adapter, saving me a trip, and a battery to boot (it claims 300 hours of battery life, too, which I sort of believe, these simple op-amp treble boosts shouldn't eat up battery in their use). I'll post pictures of it tomorrow when the Orange Squash gets in, I'm curious to see what color that one is now.

And I'll have clips incoming tomorrow as well.

You forgot to mention that they sound shockingly awesome. Pretty quiet, and it sounded good in front of all 4 channels of my amp- which is really impressive to me. It makes my guitar puke harmonics all over the place. These things are an ideal lead boost. I bought 2 to turn around and make a quick buck, but I think I'm going to keep them now and keep one on my pedalboard and keep the other for a studio toy.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Scarf posted:

They do. I was pretty sore after a show while playing with one. But like I said, it's easily alleviated by moving the strap lug to the neck-plate. It's one of the two things that desperately need changing on the T-bird. The second being the 3-point bridge.

My thunderbird is a thru-neck made of coach wood(built by a friend of mine). its so god drat heavy that it cant neck dive since it puts too much weight on the strap.

sounds awesome, too bad i cant play it for more than 30min without getting a sore shoulder :( its on drop D duty for now.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Oh god, what have I done...

:ohdear:

EDIT: This is going to be tuned B-E-A-D-G-B-E-A

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 11, 2009

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Oh god, what have I done...

:ohdear:

You son of a bitch.

I don't even play guitar and I want one so bad.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Scarf posted:

No such thing as far as Fender is concerned. Closest thing you can get is a Fender Bass VI from the early '60s. Better break out the wallet on that one. HIGHLY sought after.

The actual Jaguar Bass didn't come out until just a few years ago.

I should also mention that the new Jag basses sound pretty ballin in my opinion. Tons of vintage tone, and pretty hot with the active system they put in there.

A Jag bass is probably at the #4-5 spot on my G.A.S. list.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Gramps posted:

You forgot to mention that they sound shockingly awesome. Pretty quiet, and it sounded good in front of all 4 channels of my amp- which is really impressive to me. It makes my guitar puke harmonics all over the place. These things are an ideal lead boost. I bought 2 to turn around and make a quick buck, but I think I'm going to keep them now and keep one on my pedalboard and keep the other for a studio toy.

Got mine in too - this thing gets bright as hell. I only played it through my 60s Strat (vintage noiseless pickups) on a Hotrod Deluxe but it goes nicely with my other OD pedals. I like how it reduces low end a little, and I can't wait to try it on my Bassman (which I've hated lately since it's tough to get an even sound - it's either too bassy or too thin).

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

B'dang, I'm definitely going to be keeping the Orange Squash and Freq Boost in front of my DI permanently. These are amazing. The Orange Squash is a great version of the Squeezer, the variable compression and level makes it a cinch to dial it in for "set it and forget it" mode but you can change it to fit a different guitar no problem. I probably won't ever turn it off, to be honest, its action is so beneficial to the guitar's sound that I'm almost thinking of whether it'd be feasible to wire one into a guitar, haha. And the Freq Boost is awesome, just a great raunchy treble booster. I run them in that order, OS->FB, which gives me a great deal of flexibility. I'll record a quick clip into a high-gain amp, I need to record another for my blog anyway.

Edit: Also, the long battery life of the pedals (each claims ~300 hours) makes it a great choice for the studio. I'll need to pick up some lithium ion rechargeable 9Vs, but they should last a very long time... These circuits are low consumption circuits, so it isn't unbelievable that they will get that much time off of a battery. I would use the included 9V adapters, but I get ground loop issues and I'm out of sockets on my primary 15A circuit so the battery operation is a real blessing.

Here's the first clip, a couple more coming soon. This one is into the Fender Metalhead model. The format is quite simple. I play the same thing three times with a pause in between each. The first time I play whatever it is, it's with both pedals bypassed. The second time, the Orange Squash is engaged. The third time, the Orange Squash and the Freq Boost are engaged. You can hear what it does quite clearly in this example, I think. The guitar used here is my Fender strat with SCN pickups. They are very "single coil" pickups, noiseless but the dynamics and tonality of classic strat singles is captured flawlessly in my opinion (I say this as a big fan of Lace pickups as well, two of them are in another strat - they sound great but they are not as authentic in their SC behavior as the SCNs). Yes, that means the first clip here is a strat used for high gain... Sounds silly, but listen to how the Orange Squash makes it a reality. In my opinion the Freq Boost with my Strat is probably too much for the Metalhead model, which has a pretty unique treble profile. Part of the cool thing about a treble booster is that you can dial in your amp for a lower gain, somewhat darker setting to get a really thick tone, then run the treble boost full-time to tighten it up and make it really roar. I might record a demo of that tomorrow, but in staying true to the "demonstrating Amplitube Fender" paradigm I decided it'd be better to stick with the Metalhead even though it doesn't sound the best with the Freq Boost for everything but the legato solo parts.

Alright, the second clip, this time into the Amplitube Fender Pro Junior model. Same deal, first I play something with neither of them engaged, then with just the Orange Squash, then with the Orange Squash and Freq Boost. Same guitar, different amp. I chose the Pro Junior because it is probably the most Vox-like of all the Fender amps, with a simple two-knob (Volume, Tone) control scheme and a very harmonically rich tone.

Final clip, the same setup into the '59 Bassman. This time instead of the bridge pickup I'm using position 2 (Neck+Middle for non strat guys) blended in parallel with the bridge pickup through a mod to the guitar. Very full sound but plenty of sparkle. I love how the Orange Squash and Freq Boost change the whole way this amp reacts. I find that to be characteristic of the combination so far, which gives me a lot of added versatility. I'm stoked that I managed to get on these pedals in time, now I wish I'd bought backups.

Edit: All bugs squashed.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 12, 2009

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Picked this up recently, Ibanez EB-3 copy from the 70s. Its in fantastic condition (except for the nut, which broke after I changed the strings :ughh:), and came with the original hard case, which is also in fantastic condition...

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

ADINSX posted:

Picked this up recently, Ibanez EB-3 copy from the 70s. Its in fantastic condition (except for the nut, which broke after I changed the strings :ughh:), and came with the original hard case, which is also in fantastic condition...

Can yourself or anyone else explain what the gently caress that block thing on the scratch plate is for? I see them on older basses all the time and I have no idea of its purpose.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

Varvs posted:

Can yourself or anyone else explain what the gently caress that block thing on the scratch plate is for? I see them on older basses all the time and I have no idea of its purpose.

It's a finger rest! You rest your pinky on it when it's down there, or your thumb on it when it's up top, like this:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Engine Fortegue posted:

It's a finger rest! You rest your pinky on it when it's down there, or your thumb on it when it's up top, like this:

Actually it's commonly referred to as a "tug-bar." When Leo Fender was developing the first mass-produced electric bass guitars... he had no idea how people would play them (Leo was not a musician in any shape or form). It was his idea that that the bassist would put ALL four fingers on it and play with their thumb (tugging on the strings). I guess Gibson and Ibanez, for some reason, thought it was a good idea and followed suit.

The bar was then repositioned in the late 60s as a thumb-rest since most people did not play with their thumbs once bassists like McCartney and Entwistle came along.

Also, nice find ADINSX. I love law-suit era Ibanez basses. I have a '78 Ibanez P bass that I absolutely love.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Scarf posted:

The bar was then repositioned in the late 60s as a thumb-rest since most people did not play with their thumbs once bassists like McCartney and Entwistle came along.

... and then came Sly and The Family Stone

:whatup:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

ADINSX posted:

Nice!! Is that one of the silver series basses? It's gonna sound pretty classic with your new half-stack.

How did you fix the nut?

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Oh god an inexpensive early 90s Les Paul Studio just showed up for sale locally. MUST RESIST.... actually, scrap that. MUST FIND MONEY.

Lousy bills, screwing up my fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

The Fog posted:

Just got C5 EDU:

Click here for the full 1522x1740 image.

Oh yeah, forgot this is considered gear! Picked mine up a few weeks back.

e: to not sound like such an inelegant asswipe.

himajinga fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 13, 2009