Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Ugh there better not be an AI curse on this car.

I will read the NASIOC FAQs about tuning more and see what I can get in there for fairly cheap. I simply don't have the money to drop $700 on the car right now though, especially since I haven't sold my Mark VIII yet. (it's on ebay and looks like it will be sold by Sunday)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

RealKyleH posted:

I will read the NASIOC FAQs about tuning more

Oh god no, anything but that shithole. Seriosuly, is the worst loving Subaru forum on the planet, even Aust Rexnet is far better. Do yourself a favour and look at Scoobymods

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008

Cat Terrist posted:

Oh god no, anything but that shithole. Seriosuly, is the worst loving Subaru forum on the planet, even Aust Rexnet is far better. Do yourself a favour and look at Scoobymods

Its good for a few things. The classifieds are great. I got my accessport for 300 there. Also got my turboback and wrx springs and struts for 300.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

atomicfire posted:

An Accessport or an open source tune should help tremendously with that. The accessport is around $700 and is an excellent starting point. You can find them used for about $500. An open source tune is great if you can tune yourself or trust downloading a map over the internet, especially if you can find a good tuner like Keith Fields at awdtuning.com - expect to pay around $70-150 for a cable, and about $200-300 for the tune.

Otherwise, there are not many else you can do. Boost controllers are a very big no no unless you are specifically tuned for it.

When I said "boosting the low end" I didn't mine boost in the sense of pressure, just giving it a boost. Also, I didn't think the AP and OTS tunes would be able to do that much without supporting mods.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

RealKyleH posted:

Ugh there better not be an AI curse on this car.

I will read the NASIOC FAQs about tuning more and see what I can get in there for fairly cheap. I simply don't have the money to drop $700 on the car right now though, especially since I haven't sold my Mark VIII yet. (it's on ebay and looks like it will be sold by Sunday)

Regardless of what other people here will say (and have said), the NASIOC forums are loaded with information, and with a simple idiot filter (that is to say, if you are not an idiot, you can easily filter the information) they are great.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

Mr. Powers posted:

When I said "boosting the low end" I didn't mine boost in the sense of pressure, just giving it a boost. Also, I didn't think the AP and OTS tunes would be able to do that much without supporting mods.

Thats the big thing, engine management should be your first power mod, because it supports everything else. Its not wasted money either, because with a reflash system like the AccessPort or the open source tuning has been proven to be good for over 500whp no problem. Once you sink in that initial cost, you never "lose" it because you can rewrite the flash for pretty cheap, not to mention the resale value is often in excess of 70% of the original purchase price.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

atomicfire posted:

Thats the big thing, engine management should be your first power mod, because it supports everything else. Its not wasted money either, because with a reflash system like the AccessPort or the open source tuning has been proven to be good for over 500whp no problem. Once you sink in that initial cost, you never "lose" it because you can rewrite the flash for pretty cheap, not to mention the resale value is often in excess of 70% of the original purchase price.

I realize this, and I figured any power mods would go along with an AP, and that's what I was asking about. If the AP alone will give me better low end power, sure, that's great, but I'm not so sure a tune alone will make a significant change there, as I would imagine Subaru would have tried to tune that in a bit more, since they were coming from the '08 which had lots in the low end.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Mr. Powers posted:

What would be the mods required to get an earlier spool of the turbo without sacrificing top end? I really like my 09 and the power curve is nice, but I wouldn't mind throwing some money at it at some point to smooth it out a bit by boosting the low end (2000-4000 RPM).

Downpipe and a tune would make some pretty awesome spool on that motor I would think since the up pipe is already catless. 09s have been making some sweet power with minimal mods.

Mr. Powers posted:

Re-reading this, there's probably nothing besides an AP, OTS tune, or downpipe/tune/larger IC that you would be able to do for better low end spool. On the older 2.0, to achieve this you put in a catless up pipe in, but 06+ 2.5s don't have one.

Maybe a heavy duty silicon inlet tube like APS make or something, they're alleging that helps with spool. But not worth the $200+ in my opinion.

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 11, 2009

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

Mr. Powers posted:

I realize this, and I figured any power mods would go along with an AP, and that's what I was asking about. If the AP alone will give me better low end power, sure, that's great, but I'm not so sure a tune alone will make a significant change there, as I would imagine Subaru would have tried to tune that in a bit more, since they were coming from the '08 which had lots in the low end.

They have some pretty horrible tuning from the factory. You will see nice gains from just a tune.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
WRX prices are starting to drop here - the dealership in Edmonton just turned up an unmodified 2003 Sonic Yellow Spec R1 wagon with 79,000km on it for $20 000 CAD. Even a week ago, the same car would've been selling for $25k or higher. :) There's also some normal bugeye WRXes for about $16k, but they're a bit more loved.

There's a nice red 2005 9-2X Aero with 43k for $19 900 at a dealership down the street, but I'll have to look again at the insurance rates before I think about one. There are also some really cheap STIs, but I'd prefer not to have that that much presence on the road (a yellow WRX would be bad enough!)

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 11, 2009

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Mr. Powers posted:

What would be the mods required to get an earlier spool of the turbo without sacrificing top end? I really like my 09 and the power curve is nice, but I wouldn't mind throwing some money at it at some point to smooth it out a bit by boosting the low end (2000-4000 RPM).

intake, downpipe, tune:

stock whp on our dyno is about 230-240, which is actually a bit more than a stock 08 sti. The top line is about 95 octane, bottom is crap 91.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

jamal posted:

intake, downpipe, tune:

stock whp on our dyno is about 230-240, which is actually a bit more than a stock 08 sti. The top line is about 95 octane, bottom is crap 91.

Even with all that work, though, it didn't do much to help smooth out the curve, and if anything, made the transition worse? Why do you run such low AFR's from 2000-3000?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
I'm guessing nothing corresponds to the AFR scale on that graph, as a 33:1 AFR at 3500 rpm probably would have undesirable consequences.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

intake, downpipe, tune:

drat, i really need a downpipe. But I also need money. Dammit.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

Even with all that work, though, it didn't do much to help smooth out the curve, and if anything, made the transition worse? Why do you run such low AFR's from 2000-3000?

That curve is plenty smooth what do you mean.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

ab0z posted:

I'm guessing nothing corresponds to the AFR scale on that graph, as a 33:1 AFR at 3500 rpm probably would have undesirable consequences.

It's the green line.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
My 05 WRX is about ready for new brake pads. Any suggestions? It's my DD with a bit of spirited driving. No track days or anything. I'm looking for decent performance and longer life mix.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

CharlesM posted:

It's the green line.

You're right. I looked at it and thought I was seeing stock vs modded power.
Excuse me for a moment, I need to get another cup of coffee.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

This is a relatively easy question compared to the other ones in this thread.
Last night some jerkoff smashed his door into mine while I was at the movies. The paint is chipped down to the white primer, a chip about the size of a pencil eraser.

Besides taking it to a shop and getting my entire door repainted, is there another way to fix it? It's an 08 Legacy in Diamond Grey Metallic, if that changes anything.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

TurboLuvah posted:

That curve is plenty smooth what do you mean.

The spool in the '09 is pretty jarring, and you can see it on that chart. The tune didn't really do much to smooth out the wall of torque you hit from 2500-3000. That is what I was hoping to smooth out. That range is right where most driving is (2000-3000) and being right on the slope of that curve makes driving interesting when it comes to passing. Short of a new turbo or slowing down the spool and reducing torque from 3000-4000, I really doubt there's anything that can be done to smooth it.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
The only thing that will fix what you're talking about is an H6.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

AFewBricksShy posted:

This is a relatively easy question compared to the other ones in this thread.
Last night some jerkoff smashed his door into mine while I was at the movies. The paint is chipped down to the white primer, a chip about the size of a pencil eraser.

Besides taking it to a shop and getting my entire door repainted, is there another way to fix it? It's an 08 Legacy in Diamond Grey Metallic, if that changes anything.

If it is down to primer, it needs paint.
If it is small enough, you can probably just use trouch up paint. At minimum, it would be worth a try if you're going to respray if it doesn't match.
Given how new the car is, OEM should match fine.
I know people who have used this with success: http://www.paintscratch.com/

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There's a nice red 2005 9-2X Aero with 43k for $19 900 at a dealership down the street...

I don't know where you live but that's pretty ridiculous. I bought my '05 aero with 35k miles for $12,000. That was from a friend so I'm not saying it's a completely accurate going rate but they shouldn't be more than $15,000 unless you live in a podunk town I wouldn't think.

decahedron
Aug 8, 2005

by Ozma
CAD there big guy.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

decahedron posted:

CAD there big guy.

ohay, I guess that makes a lot more sense. reading 101.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

The spool in the '09 is pretty jarring, and you can see it on that chart. The tune didn't really do much to smooth out the wall of torque you hit from 2500-3000. That is what I was hoping to smooth out. That range is right where most driving is (2000-3000) and being right on the slope of that curve makes driving interesting when it comes to passing. Short of a new turbo or slowing down the spool and reducing torque from 3000-4000, I really doubt there's anything that can be done to smooth it.

Sell it and buy a 2.5i or a 3.0. Problem solved :)

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 11, 2009

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Mr. Powers posted:

You just get used to it, ultimately, and learn to drive around it until you need it. If it's too much torque for a given situation (like in traffic) just shift earlier. It certainly took some adjusting when I went from my 170hp Nissan Sentra to my STi, but I managed to do it.

The wall of torque will be even worse when (if) you get a tune. After my LGT was tuned, it made the S# mode almost undrivable in stop and go traffic. The throttle is super-aggressive and will enter "make you look like a clutch nub" mode with no provocation.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

cmorrow001 posted:

My 05 WRX is about ready for new brake pads. Any suggestions? It's my DD with a bit of spirited driving. No track days or anything. I'm looking for decent performance and longer life mix.

Any help?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Hawk HPS are usually pretty popular.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

cmorrow001 posted:

Any help?

Hawk pads, last time I was doing brake pad research, had dust that was really difficult to clean off, and were slightly noisy and slightly more expensive. Since I read those reviews, I switched from stock to EBC red's. Quiet, powerful stopping, and less dust. I couldn't have been happier. I bought my pads from https://www.autoanything.com

Edit: If you track your car a lot, or if you prefer the racing brake feel, the yellows might suit you better. About the same noise, but more dust and more bite, but require a short warm up before pedal effort goes down.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Mr. Powers posted:

those charts are pump vs. race gas, both tuned.

and sorry, the green line is boost, not afr.

Here's another 09 with an intake and a tune compared to stock:

Here's a stock 08 sti:

as you can see, the stock map relies heavily on the knock sensor.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 12, 2009

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

jamal posted:

as you can see, the stock map relies heavily on the knock sensor.

How in the world can they justify turning a production car loose if it's bouncing off the knock sensor, that boggles my mind? That's exactly what my curve looked like when my tuner loaded the base map, except it was a little harder, and there was only one. The back end of that chart looks like Mr. Toad's wild ride

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

dayman posted:

How in the world can they justify turning a production car loose if it's bouncing off the knock sensor, that boggles my mind?

EPA basically. They have target power goals that they want to get, but then get hamstrung by emissions control regulation. It's the '70s all over again.

They're pretty much going to have to give the engine a major overhaul soon, everything right now is quick fixes to meet power and emission demands.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

yeah, it's retarded, and part of the reason you see so many cracked pistons on stock cars. 07 stis seem especially bad. It's great for us though. dyno tuning nets a significant hp gain, and is safer.

Here's some of what I was doing today:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

I should buy a real camera.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
This is probably a really newbie question but what is the big red thing?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

CharlesM posted:

The big red thing is an intake manifold.

On a semi-related note: I've heard debates on phenolic spacers, especially on a metal intake manifolds to help reduce intake temps due to heat transfer from the block. thoughts? The LGT has a plastic manifold, so it isn't quite as much of an issue. The question is more just for debate than anything. :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ohhh duhhh. The silver part is also part of the intake manifold. I see the injectors now. I probably shouldn't try to post so late at night.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

CharlesM posted:

It's the car's penis. The redder and longer it is, the moar power the car has.

Just kidding, its the turbo inlet. Not having a digicam is no excuse, they what, $180 for a decent one at wal-mart? :D

ssjonizuka posted:

The big red thing is an intake manifold.

On a semi-related note: I've heard debates on phenolic spacers, especially on a metal intake manifolds to help reduce intake temps due to heat transfer from the block. thoughts? The LGT has a plastic manifold, so it isn't quite as much of an issue. The question is more just for debate than anything. :)

I don't really know their true effectiveness, but with the really thick spacers you can run a reverse intake mani without moving your alternator :v

atomicfire fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 14, 2009

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
This was my mpg on a recent trip up to Sugarloaf mountain in Maine in my Spec B. This included some driving around the mountain, lots of highway, about an hour in stop and go, and mostly backroads on the way home. I was very impressed. :) It probably would have been around 30 if it weren't for that gridlock. :mad:

Also, after verifying it against my own math (miles per tank/fillup gallons), I found this MPG meter in my Legacy to be quite accurate.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fantastipotamus posted:

This was my mpg...in my Spec B.

Why do I only get 16.5~18.8mpg (7~8km/l)? :argh: