Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Organized pickup went great this morning. I wore my customized CCCP jersey for the first time in awhile, so I think the Lutch magic was definitely helping me out. I'm still bummed about exiting the playoffs in the first round, but one of my buddies from a rival team told me that they (2nd place) lost their opening round as well (to 7th place). Now I don't feel so bad.

I'm trying so hard to resist. My knee pads are falling apart, and the inside padding pieces of my pants are starting to split. Now, I can still use them, and I can patch them up just like I've done with some of my other equipment. But, dammit. I really want these:

http://www.hockeygiant.com/nbh95glpntsr.html

Two birds with one stone. I would LOVE to free up some of the bulk that's in my knee cradle, and at the same time equip myself with knee pads that won't constantly slide down. If I buy these though, that just opens the floodgate... I haven't bought a replacement piece of gear since I started playing several years ago. It's pandora's box just waiting to happen! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Get that wallet out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Here are the pants brosef, they're pretty much Montreal-blue despite my lovely cameraphone pics. Just a small thumb-sized hole on the rear end that's hard to make out -- never really bothered me.

Let me know if you want them and I can try to find a box this weekend and we can worry about shipping once I know how much it'll run. They fold up pretty well so the box won't be huge or anything.

I loved these pants but ended up going back to my black CCMs because they matched my pad colours better :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Maybe it's because I've kept my trapper in my hockey bag for too long or maybe it's because I have been catching more pucks lately, but I've noticed that I am starting to feel a lot more shots in my fingers now. I'm fine with feeling shots, but a couple of weeks ago I caught a puck at the end of a scrimmage and it hurt enough that I thought that I had broken my finger. Well, tonight I went out and caught a bunch of pucks and my fingers are sore. It isn't too bad at this point, but up until the past couple weeks I hadn't really felt any shots to my trapper before.

Is this normal once a glove is fully broken in or is this a sign that the padding in trapper is starting to break down too much? Would wearing a batting glove do anything or could the problem be related to me catching pucks more towards my fingers than palm?

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"

Martytoof posted:

pants
Fantastic! Those are awesome, Martytoof. The color is rad. I'll be rocking various shades of blue and white it seems. Let me know what's up via email in the profile, and I can get you an address/work out shipping.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
I've decided that it's time to invest in a real goalie cup. Two games in a row I've had pucks hit me in the cup and deflect down between my legs into the goal and last night it was the difference between a loss and a tie. Talk about frustrating.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What are you wearing now?

Edit:

brosef deluxe posted:

Fantastic! Those are awesome, Martytoof. The color is rad. I'll be rocking various shades of blue and white it seems. Let me know what's up via email in the profile, and I can get you an address/work out shipping.

Cool, I'll find a box for it this weekend and I'll email you the details.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 13, 2009

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.

crusader donkey posted:

I've decided that it's time to invest in a real goalie cup. Two games in a row I've had pucks hit me in the cup and deflect down between my legs into the goal and last night it was the difference between a loss and a tie. Talk about frustrating.

How long have you been playing with a non-goalie cup? When I geared up last fall my wife only cared about 2 pieces of equipment:
1) helmet, she thinks that my brain may be damaged enough and I don't need anymore help killing brain cells.

2) cup, she put great emphasis on the protection of my boys so that we wont "have retarded babies".

You are a brave man, having taken a shot to the bag with no cup, I can tell you that I never for one second suit up without making sure my boys are covered to the point of overkill.

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
I've been wearing the same baseball jock the past 9 years or so, I got it when I was still skating out. The elastic is just about shot so it's time for a new one any way you look at it. If it didn't funnel goals into my net it would work just fine, although a real goal jock would certainly lessen my grief a bit when it does have to do its job.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Martytoof posted:

a small thumb-sized hole on the rear end that's hard to make out -- never really bothered me.

;-*

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

sba posted:

;-*

I knew that would attract your attention :allears:

crusader donkey posted:

I've been wearing the same baseball jock the past 9 years or so, I got it when I was still skating out. The elastic is just about shot so it's time for a new one any way you look at it. If it didn't funnel goals into my net it would work just fine, although a real goal jock would certainly lessen my grief a bit when it does have to do its job.

I dunno man. I've taken some shots to the nuts in warmup that made me crawl out of my crease, and I've been wearing the real deal. I think if I wore anything smaller that didn't distribute the force over a larger area I'd be singing soprano now.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 13, 2009

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

T-Bone posted:

So I'll probably be playing D2 ACHA somewhere next year and I'm thinking about getting this: http://superglideskating.com/HomeGoalieTraining.aspx to help get back in shape.

Anyone have any experience with it?

I take back what I said about this stuff T-Bone, I just got back from that hockey expo and saw some skater slide stopping on it. There were shavings so of course it'll wear down after time but it did look like it'd be worth a shot.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I just got a price check for the goalie system and it's a thousand dollars good lord. That's kinda what I expected but still!

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
Alright, I am here for some pointers in regards to gloves. I currently have a TPS R4 set which I do love, the fit is great and I like the feel of the glove and how it positions my hand in it. After a season of fairly regular abuse though today I finally started getting some stingers and as I type this my index finger is turning blue from a shot where the puck went right into a fold in the palm. I am wanting to get a better glove for either a possible summer ice league or in the fall but want to order now to save myself a huge wait so that I can work it in. I have tried both R6 and R8 gloves on and I dislike how they feel on the inside with the fancy palm rests and whatnot. I have been looking into Battram gear and was wondering if anyone has any experience with their gloves, I have tried Vaughn and RBK and dislike the hand positioning in them. My R4 feels perfect but I need better padding in the palm, help goony goalies! Also any pointer to other gloves that position the hand similarly to TPS gloves would be greatly appreciated. Budget is not much of an issue but I would like to keep it reasonable if possible.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Finally played ice tonight after doing nothing but drink beer and smoke these past two weeks. I barely got a work out though due to six goalies showing up for open.. this is the second time that has happened. I did awesome my first shift, then it was all down hill from there. At one point my skate lace was hanging down and I kept skating over it.. and that really throws you off... ah well it'll be nice out tomorrow.. a nice bike ride in in line. Gotta build those legs.

And also one of the other goalies took one to the nuts today, why the hell he wasn't wearing a cup is beyond me.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Space Cadet posted:

Alright, I am here for some pointers in regards to gloves. I currently have a TPS R4 set which I do love, the fit is great and I like the feel of the glove and how it positions my hand in it. After a season of fairly regular abuse though today I finally started getting some stingers and as I type this my index finger is turning blue from a shot where the puck went right into a fold in the palm. I am wanting to get a better glove for either a possible summer ice league or in the fall but want to order now to save myself a huge wait so that I can work it in. I have tried both R6 and R8 gloves on and I dislike how they feel on the inside with the fancy palm rests and whatnot. I have been looking into Battram gear and was wondering if anyone has any experience with their gloves, I have tried Vaughn and RBK and dislike the hand positioning in them. My R4 feels perfect but I need better padding in the palm, help goony goalies! Also any pointer to other gloves that position the hand similarly to TPS gloves would be greatly appreciated. Budget is not much of an issue but I would like to keep it reasonable if possible.

I'm in the market for a new glove too. I think the padding my Itech X-Wing 7.8 has finally worn down and it's time for me to go with a pro level trapper. I am kind of interested in a TPS glove, since I like the Lundvist theory of just having a glove that always stays open. However, I am going to take a look at the Vaughn T3 7500 tomorrow and see if I like it. I was hoping to replace my leg pads and gloves at the same time, but I'm getting concerned since I went from never feeling any shots to my glove, to feeling just about every shot to my glove. Maybe I could save money if I went back to never catching pucks?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Get two blockers.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Polish posted:

Get two blockers.

I have debated this before or at least getting those weird trapper/blocker combo gloves.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Polish posted:

And also one of the other goalies took one to the nuts today, why the hell he wasn't wearing a cup is beyond me.

For only the third time in my career, tonight I took one to the balls. Was a snapper from about 10-15 feet out. I went down a little too early, and left myself open. Luckily, for the third time, it was right towards the end of the period, and I was able to fight it off at the end of the period, and was good to go by the third.

Which segways into...I had a shutout tonight with less than 2 minutes left to go in the game. We gave up a PP and a shot from the point ended up getting banged around to an open guy on one side to put away. I was so sad. The guy who took the penalty apologized like 3 times, but hey, we got the win, so thats good. Plus the 1 GA lowered my GAA by a full goal (last week raised it by a goal though!). I only took 18 shots in the win though, for a team which plays almost no defense (which we really don't), it was amazing this team only got 18 shots on goal. They weren't all that great, but I've been facing 25+ shots a game the first 3 I played.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

For only the third time in my career, tonight I took one to the balls. Was a snapper from about 10-15 feet out. I went down a little too early, and left myself open. Luckily, for the third time, it was right towards the end of the period, and I was able to fight it off at the end of the period, and was good to go by the third.

Which segways into...I had a shutout tonight with less than 2 minutes left to go in the game. We gave up a PP and a shot from the point ended up getting banged around to an open guy on one side to put away. I was so sad. The guy who took the penalty apologized like 3 times, but hey, we got the win, so thats good. Plus the 1 GA lowered my GAA by a full goal (last week raised it by a goal though!). I only took 18 shots in the win though, for a team which plays almost no defense (which we really don't), it was amazing this team only got 18 shots on goal. They weren't all that great, but I've been facing 25+ shots a game the first 3 I played.

drat, I hate that. The past few seasons, every time I'm on the way towards a shutout I let one slip in late in the 3rd. My last shutout was a 10-0 rout of the first game of the 07-08 season, needless to say, the teams got balanced after that, meaning I moved to the team we just clobbered.

Whenever I find myself with a 1 GA game, I look back and it's always in the first period or third period when I get the goal against me. When it's the first period, I must get a little nervous or twitchy or something and after that goal gets in I get settled a bit and stay solid the rest of the game. When my only GA is in the third, before it, I keep jinxing myself with shutout, shutout, shutout and get twitchy again.

It's almost always happened that way, even when I was a kid playing travel. One tournament we played a team from Massachusetts and scored 5 seconds into the game and ended up winning 12-1.

I thrive to achieve shutouts but naturally always come out short, gently caress jinxing. This season in the miraculous 4 games I played, I had 2 games with 1 GA, one in the first and 1 in the third.

The only time I was ever completely solid was a tournament in Stamford when I had more PIM than I did GA. Got a minute 30 for delay of game when I purposely knocked the net off when I somehow managed to get my rear end behind it, but I wanted to preserve the shutout so I went for it:lol:. In the 5 games we played I had 1 GA and 4 shutouts. God drat I was on fire that week.

Shutout is a state of mind...

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Aniki posted:

I'm in the market for a new glove too. I think the padding my Itech X-Wing 7.8 has finally worn down and it's time for me to go with a pro level trapper. I am kind of interested in a TPS glove, since I like the Lundvist theory of just having a glove that always stays open. However, I am going to take a look at the Vaughn T3 7500 tomorrow and see if I like it. I was hoping to replace my leg pads and gloves at the same time, but I'm getting concerned since I went from never feeling any shots to my glove, to feeling just about every shot to my glove. Maybe I could save money if I went back to never catching pucks?

There's no way i'd try the Lundy method, you have to have insane amounts of skill to cradle a puck in the pocket like that. Plus you'd be a huge rebound factory.

You could get a bit of a stiffer palm, but don't get a glove that can't close...you'll regret it.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

^^^I have a hard enough time keeping the puck/ball in my glove when I close it, never mind a stiff one that doesn't close.

gco posted:

Shutout is a state of mind...

No kidding. I was practically begging the last 5 minutes to go by faster. It was driving me insane. We used a stopped time too, so it felt like an eternity. We were up 7-0, I was trying to get running time for the rest of the way, but I guess it's not a rule or something.

It's just eating away at me because I really think I could've eaten up the shot front the point, but it just squirted away from me enough I couldn't pounce on it. I did, however, make an unreal save in the second. One of our D-men went to play the ball out from behind my net, on the right of me, and put it right into the forecheckers stick. He immediately fired one on net. Went gloveside, and I made just a sick glove save on it. The few kids from the game before were hootin and hollerin, along with the goalie who's leading our division in all big stats. It was nice, but I still felt like I got luckier than skilled, but hey, it looked pretty!

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

sba posted:

There's no way i'd try the Lundy method, you have to have insane amounts of skill to cradle a puck in the pocket like that. Plus you'd be a huge rebound factory.

You could get a bit of a stiffer palm, but don't get a glove that can't close...you'll regret it.

I don't think I'll go the Lundqvist direction, it's one of those things that seems interesting in theory, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work out well for me. I did try on the V3 7500 trapper on Saturday and I wasn't too impressed with it. Granted it may have felt weird, because it had better protection and wasn't broken in yet, but I actually liked the 7407 trapper better. I'm now debating if I just want to get the 7407 or if I should continue looking for a pro level trapper. It would be nice to have the extra protection, but my other glove was fine for a year or two, so I'm debating if the extra $200 is worth it.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

How does everyone/anyone feel about the oldish Itech 9.8's? Saw someone selling a used set for $300, pads and trapper/blocker. They don't look too too beat up, and thats a pretty decent price.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Aniki posted:

I don't think I'll go the Lundqvist direction, it's one of those things that seems interesting in theory, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work out well for me. I did try on the V3 7500 trapper on Saturday and I wasn't too impressed with it. Granted it may have felt weird, because it had better protection and wasn't broken in yet, but I actually liked the 7407 trapper better. I'm now debating if I just want to get the 7407 or if I should continue looking for a pro level trapper. It would be nice to have the extra protection, but my other glove was fine for a year or two, so I'm debating if the extra $200 is worth it.

I can't claim to know the level you play at and that definitely has an effect but as far as I'm concerned I would never buy below pro level equipment. I get plenty of stingers (especially on my glove hand) using the top level stuff and I wouldn't even want to think about how much worse it would be without the extra protection.

Edit: And as far as the 7500 series goes, I wasn't much of a fan either. Then again, I'm used to the V1 break/closure, so basically every glove feels awkward for me; I'm actually in the market for a new glove/blocker and I'm probably going to pick up the 7700 series since from what I've heard it has a break/closure more like the V1 and that's what I'm used to/comfortable with.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Deer_fire posted:

I can't claim to know the level you play at and that definitely has an effect but as far as I'm concerned I would never buy below pro level equipment. I get plenty of stingers (especially on my glove hand) using the top level stuff and I wouldn't even want to think about how much worse it would be without the extra protection.

Edit: And as far as the 7500 series goes, I wasn't much of a fan either. Then again, I'm used to the V1 break/closure, so basically every glove feels awkward for me; I'm actually in the market for a new glove/blocker and I'm probably going to pick up the 7700 series since from what I've heard it has a break/closure more like the V1 and that's what I'm used to/comfortable with.

I am currently playing pickup and I practice with a B league team from time to time. I've faced players from beginners to ex-Junior skaters. The rink by my house does have some ex-NHLers that play there from time to time, but I haven't had a chance to play there yet. That's the one thing that is making me consider a pro level glove. I didn't have any problems with my current glove until the foam/protection wore down and I think that I would still be ok with a senior level glove. Though then there is the part of me that doesn't want to spend $200 on a glove and then spend another $400 a few months to a year down the line.

So at this point, I've ruled out the 7500 and am now leaning towards the 7407. The 5500 and 7700 are still in play, but I just don't like the 7500 and it's 90 degree break. I will say that I was interested in the Kipper spec V1 glove that they are selling on Goalie Monkey, but they only had full right gloves available. So if the 7700 is based off of the V1, then that may be worth considering. I just hate the idea of spending that much money on a glove without being able to try it on.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Does anyone have experience with the Brian's Zero G trapper or Brian's trappers in general? I've read some interesting things about the glove, but I haven't had any experience with Brian's products in the past.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Aniki posted:

I am currently playing pickup and I practice with a B league team from time to time. I've faced players from beginners to ex-Junior skaters. The rink by my house does have some ex-NHLers that play there from time to time, but I haven't had a chance to play there yet. That's the one thing that is making me consider a pro level glove. I didn't have any problems with my current glove until the foam/protection wore down and I think that I would still be ok with a senior level glove. Though then there is the part of me that doesn't want to spend $200 on a glove and then spend another $400 a few months to a year down the line.

So at this point, I've ruled out the 7500 and am now leaning towards the 7407. The 5500 and 7700 are still in play, but I just don't like the 7500 and it's 90 degree break. I will say that I was interested in the Kipper spec V1 glove that they are selling on Goalie Monkey, but they only had full right gloves available. So if the 7700 is based off of the V1, then that may be worth considering. I just hate the idea of spending that much money on a glove without being able to try it on.

Do what I did: buy a cheap used glove of the type you want to try, even if the colors are off, try it out, decide if you like it, then sell it for about the same price and buy a new one if you're that anal about colors. I did this for 3 years before finding the type of glove I like, and I probably ended up spending a total of about $80 for the tryout period.

Or you could just buy any of the 590-series gloves and accept them into your home the way you should.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Brosef I'm tryin' to email you but you don't have an email set up :|

sba posted:

I've given up on closing my glove, period. Somehow my glove has gotten stiffer as time goes on -- I have no idea how this happened. In any event, I've had much much more luck just catching and cradling the puck than I ever did worrying about having to close my glove, so it's worked out well for me. For the record I have insanely small amounts of skill :cool:

In my case the puck will either strike the palm and bounce out anyway, or it'll fall into the webbing and stay put. I have a fairly deep pocket though. I imagine if I go up to the PS2 glove like I want to I'll have to reconsider since that pocket is pretty loving shallow.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 18, 2009

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Tim Thomas posted:

Do what I did: buy a cheap used glove of the type you want to try, even if the colors are off, try it out, decide if you like it, then sell it for about the same price and buy a new one if you're that anal about colors. I did this for 3 years before finding the type of glove I like, and I probably ended up spending a total of about $80 for the tryout period.

Or you could just buy any of the 590-series gloves and accept them into your home the way you should.

That's a possibility, but I know myself well enough to know that I'd never take the time to sell the old glove. I've looked around a little at used trappers, but I haven't come across anything I like. As for colors, my pads are white/silver/black, so at least I don't need to obsess about special ordering everything.

I've looked at Koho's, but wouldn't the 590 have the same break as the RBK PSII?

Martytoof posted:

I've given up on closing my glove, period. Somehow my glove has gotten stiffer as time goes on -- I have no idea how this happened. In any event, I've had much much more luck just catching and cradling the puck than I ever did worrying about having to close my glove, so it's worked out well for me. For the record I have insanely small amounts of skill :cool:

In my case the puck will either strike the palm and bounce out anyway, or it'll fall into the webbing and stay put. I have a fairly deep pocket though. I imagine if I go up to the PS2 glove like I want to I'll have to reconsider since that pocket is pretty loving shallow.

I've finally started getting my glove on a lot of shots and I still do catch more pucks with an open glove than by trying to snag it out of the air and close the pocket. This did lead to me toying with the idea of a Lundqvist glove that doesn't close, but I think I need to work on my hand eye cooridination and timing before I go fully down this route. Though I am just happy that my glove hand isn't a complete abortion anymore.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

Does anyone have experience with the Brian's Zero G trapper or Brian's trappers in general? I've read some interesting things about the glove, but I haven't had any experience with Brian's products in the past.

I have a Brian's trapper and I love it it. Feels far better than the Eagle Infinity that I replaced it with.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

I have a Brian's trapper and I love it it. Feels far better than the Eagle Infinity that I replaced it with.

I think I'm going to Behind the Mask to look at the Zero G.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

I think I'm going to Behind the Mask to look at the Zero G.

Thunderbird and 32nd?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Thunderbird and 32nd?

I always go to their Chandler location. I picked up the Zero G for $360 before taxes. I tried on the V3 7500 and a couple other gloves to make sure that it was the best fit for me, but of all the gloves there, it felt and closed the best. I'll post some pictures later tonight and I'll try to get out to Oceanside tomorrow night to test it out.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Here are some pictures of my Brian's Zero G trapper in comparison to my old Itech X-Factor 7.8 trapper. The Itech glove is bigger, but it doesn't stay open as wide, which was unfortunately my doing. Also, the Itech's padding had worn down around the fingers on the inside of the glove and the plastic piece that protected the back of my hand fell out on Saturday night. It was a good glove, but it served it's purpose and was ready to be retired. I will likely pick up the matching Brian's Zero G blocker in the near future, but there is a goalie show coming up on April 5th, so I want to see if I can get a slightly better price from the Brian's rep.

Also, notice that unreal amount of puck marks on the wrist guard of my old glove. Part of it is from heavy use, but as you can tell I've done a terrible job of controlling the puck with my trapper hand.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 19, 2009

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Fancy glove. If it's anything like my Brian's, then you're gonna love it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aniki if you ever want to get rid of that Itech gimmie a shout boss. I've been wanting to try Itech and it just happens to be my colours.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Fancy glove. If it's anything like my Brian's, then you're gonna love it.

Thanks, I'm already really impressed with it and I can't wait to see how it performs once it's fully broken in. I'm sure that I'll miss the extra blocking surface that my Itech afforded me, but I won't miss the stingers.

Martytoof posted:

Aniki if you ever want to get rid of that Itech gimmie a shout boss. I've been wanting to try Itech and it just happens to be my colours.

If you want to try that trapper, then send me a PM with where to ship it and we can work the rest of the details out.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"

Martytoof posted:

Brosef I'm tryin' to email you but you don't have an email set up :|
My bad! Fixing it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
In a telling display of priorities, I went and played hockey early this morning while being sick as a dog. Then I went home and called in sick for work, and have been restricted to the couch since then.

Amazingly, I played out of my mind, but I sure as hell am feeling it now. The wife just laughed at me.

• Locked thread