Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madcatz7
Aug 31, 2006
I got the G6 BA edition yesterday. I haven't picked up much other then Preachers though. And I can't get anything on the AIR channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

Madcatz7 posted:

I got the G6 BA edition yesterday. I haven't picked up much other then Preachers though. And I can't get anything on the AIR channels.

Air traffic can be pretty sporadic, especially if you don't live near a big airport. Start local and look up the frequencies to the closest airport. If the tower has an automated terminal information service freq see if you can pick that up. If not they you might not be able to hear tower traffic but should still be able to pick up the planes. Then look for TRACON approach and departure frequencies to and from that airport. Further out are the ARTCC frequencies split up by 20 or so cities around the country. You can find those here

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Madcatz7 posted:

Posted a few pages ago, but well worth the re-post:

http://www.airnav.com/airports/

...will help out all the new G6 owners in finding their local airport channels.

Air Force One flew into my local airport a couple weeks ago. Sad I missed it, though I doubt they'd use regular air traffic control, would they?

Edit: Man, normally Cuba comes in for me so clearly you'd think they were transmitting from my kitchen. Tonight, every station sounds like a mariachi band wrestling feral cats and an Imperial Probe Droid in a 55 gallon drum. What gives?

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 25, 2009

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

adamj1982 posted:

I know it is probably in the thread somewhere.. but what are in RTTY and morse signals? Weather information?

Is it worth trying to decode either or are they pretty dull?

Sometimes you can find some seriously bizarre stuff. I mentioned it in this thread a long time ago, but I was picking up an alphabetical list of english words in morse. It just faded out after a while.

I wonder if it could have been one of those creepy beacons that were mentioned a long time ago. The one found strung between two palm trees on that desert island was some weird poo poo. Now that I'm getting some experience in microcontrollers, I think it would be fun to make one myself. :D.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Edit: Man, normally Cuba comes in for me so clearly you'd think they were transmitting from my kitchen. Tonight, every station sounds like a mariachi band wrestling feral cats and an Imperial Probe Droid in a 55 gallon drum. What gives?
If you're talking about RHC, their 6000kHz frequency usually sounds bad (it's usually undermodulated); I almost always listen to the parallel frequency of 6140kHz.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

nmfree posted:

If you're talking about RHC, their 6000kHz frequency usually sounds bad (it's usually undermodulated); I almost always listen to the parallel frequency of 6140kHz.

Their signal on 6000 is usually strong until 4-5 UTC. Then it seems to drop out or become covered in noise. This is especially annoying as it seems to get worse around the time DXer's Unlimited comes on.

I am still on the hunt for the RFI. Tonight I will shutdown all my pc related equipment and unplug it. If that doesn't eliminate it, I'm down to it having to be my neighbors. Hunting down the RFI is huge to me because I plan to upgrade my HAM license to a general next month. I'll need good reception.

Another question for longer term guys, I'm using my 2m J-Pole outside to help pickup (mostly because it gets a better signal with less noise then being inside). This is what will happen. I will hook it up and as soon as the feed makes contact to both my Yaesu and my G6, reception improves (but with quite a bit of noise). If I then close up and tighten down the jacket for the coax, my signal levels drop dramatically. Can anyone explain what is happening here?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Posted a few pages ago, but well worth the re-post:

http://www.airnav.com/airports/

...will help out all the new G6 owners in finding their local airport channels.

As long as they're American, more or less.

e: Are there any ones like that anyone knows covering Asia?

sub supau fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 26, 2009

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

As long as they're American, more or less.

e: Are there any ones like that anyone knows covering Asia?

So some good news. I have found much of my RFI in my room. Most of it is caused by the UPS and the wireless router or its power source. Everything else was small potatoes in comparison. I'm going to try another transformer for the router. Any other ideas?

My VX-7R doesn't cause any noise no matter what frequency I'm using.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

HFX posted:

So some good news. I have found much of my RFI in my room. Most of it is caused by the UPS and the wireless router or its power source. Everything else was small potatoes in comparison. I'm going to try another transformer for the router. Any other ideas?

My VX-7R doesn't cause any noise no matter what frequency I'm using.
Beads. Lots and lots of beads and toroids with power cords wrapped around them.

I'd suggest reading "A Ham's Guide to RFI, Ferrites, Baluns, and Audio Interfacing" by K9YC. He covers the basics of how FRI is generated, and different strategies to solve it.

edit: Also, Palomar Engineers has a short guide to eliminating RFI that's pretty good, too.

nmfree fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Feb 26, 2009

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
Some of the guys of my club recently told me to check out Ham Radio Deluxe. It seems to be a phenomenal program for decoding Amateur digital modes. I recommend you pick up the full cd worth if you like decoding the digital signals.

Also, is anyone else finding the atmosphere very noisy tonight? At first I thought it was just my home, but switching over the club radio, I find it is full of static also.

Foggy
May 17, 2004

http://www.woot.com/

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I was about to post that. Grundig G4 on Woot for $100. My local Radio Shack has the G6 Buzz Aldrin Edition for $100 so I don't know if that is a good deal or not, it doesn't have the MP3 player and flash memory.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
If you want an MP3 player, get a friggin iPod. The G4 doesn't have full SW spectrum coverage and no SSB. Fail.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

AstroZamboni posted:

If you want an MP3 player, get a friggin iPod. The G4 doesn't have full SW spectrum coverage and no SSB. Fail.

Really the only cool thing about it is the ability to record what you hear.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

blugu64 posted:

Really the only cool thing about it is the ability to record what you hear.
Yeah, that seems to be the main point of the mp3 storage.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I went ahead and got one of the G4's - I already have a G5, and everyone was really late in pointing out the faults of the G4 :) I'm not to upset, I like having a spare radio, and I like the whole recording thing. (But I do already have a frigging ipod ;) )

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Any idea what I was hearing here? (52 second snippet)

http://www.perverseengineering.com/aud/november1echouniform.mp3

Frequency 7126, at 2212z last Saturday. It sounds like I'm hearing one side of a conversation, because you'll hear a "Bravo Canada Mexico, again?", nothing, and then the N1EU response.

If anyone wants more, I've got about 10 minutes of it.

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

Any idea what I was hearing here? (52 second snippet)

http://www.perverseengineering.com/aud/november1echouniform.mp3

Frequency 7126, at 2212z last Saturday. It sounds like I'm hearing one side of a conversation, because you'll hear a "Bravo Canada Mexico, again?", nothing, and then the N1EU response.

If anyone wants more, I've got about 10 minutes of it.

This is why got into radio! My first thought was military, but I don't know what that "Canada Mexico" stuff is. I'm guessing some kind of non-NATO/Civilian phonetic alphabet. To make a wild guess I'd say it is aviation radio signals.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
You're hearing radio hams on the 40 metre amateur band engaging in a contest (you can hear the call "CQ CONTEST" a few times towards the end of that snippet). The NATO-alphabet stuff that's called out is peoples' callsigns (or fragments of callsigns). The guy calling QRZ is asking for a reply (it sounds like he has a partial callsign from someone and is asking for confirmation). You can hear him saying "you are fine-nine in New York" at one point - he's giving an indication of the readability and signal strength of the guy who contacted him (readability 5 is "excellent", signal strength 9 is also excellent).

In these contests the idea is to make contacts as far away as possible, which is why quite often when you overhear them you can only hear half of the conversation - the other resopondant may be simply too far away for you to hear his signal.

(edit) oh, and the reason you're hearing a lot of non-NATO phonetic alphabet stuff is because a lot of hams are just plain sloppy and make it up as they go along or just use their own version.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Illegal Clown posted:

This is why got into radio! My first thought was military, but I don't know what that "Canada Mexico" stuff is. I'm guessing some kind of non-NATO/Civilian phonetic alphabet. To make a wild guess I'd say it is aviation radio signals.

What throws me is: November Echo Uniform is standard alphabet; Bravo is, but Canada Mexico is not. I agree, sounds like some sort of aviation call-and-response. I think I hear "flying into NY" at some point. Like I said, if anyone wants more to go on, I've got lots of it.

EDIT: ah, "five-nine", not "flying". Also, explanation of weird non-standard alphabets. Thanks, stinky ox!

This will seem E/N and off topic, but I promise, there's some SW content to it:

I have a horrible phobia about dentists; I haven't gone in over ten years. Just typing about the dentist makes my palms sweat. Some friends organized an intervention of sorts, and set up an appointment for me since I would never do it myself. They drove me to the appt and held my hands the whole time.

I'm in the chair, and the dentist is doing the periodontal probing which involves shoving a so-called "blunt" instrument up my gums. It's traumatic, I'm crying as much as one can with their mouth wide open. As he goes along, he makes notes to the hygienist. "25: 3,2,3. 24: 4,3,4."

He gets done with with the bottom row and we take a break. I'm hysterical, until my friend in the room with me says, "When he counts off, it sounds like a number station."

"Ask him to do it in a female Cuban accent, and this will suck much less!" I exclaim, and then laugh my rear end off after all that stress. It was much needed comic relief.

tl, dr: Numbers station joke diffuses stressful medical procedure; JD shares pointless story with fellow SW goons.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 14, 2009

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

What throws me is: November Echo Uniform is standard alphabet; Bravo is, but Canada Mexico is not. I agree, sounds like some sort of aviation call-and-response. I think I hear "flying into NY" at some point. Like I said, if anyone wants more to go on, I've got lots of it.

EDIT: ah, "five-nine", not "flying". Also, explanation of weird non-standard alphabets. Thanks, stinky ox!

Yes, you thought the same thing I did, "Flying into NY." I don't know crap about civilian stuff or Ham radios, but that's why the military says "niner" to make it clear. It's funny how on radios the simplest most mundane thing sound awesome and important. Just telling someone you laundry list sounds like you're calling in an air strike or attacking the Death Star.

Also, I loved that dentist story. It was great.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

What throws me is: November Echo Uniform is standard alphabet; Bravo is, but Canada Mexico is not.

Canada and Mexico are used by some non NATO countries along with con testers.

You'll end up with both. However, that is prime ham calling room.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

stinky ox posted:

You're hearing radio hams on the 40 metre amateur band engaging in a contest (you can hear the call "CQ CONTEST" a few times towards the end of that snippet). The NATO-alphabet stuff that's called out is peoples' callsigns (or fragments of callsigns). The guy calling QRZ is asking for a reply (it sounds like he has a partial callsign from someone and is asking for confirmation). You can hear him saying "you are fine-nine in New York" at one point - he's giving an indication of the readability and signal strength of the guy who contacted him (readability 5 is "excellent", signal strength 9 is also excellent).

In these contests the idea is to make contacts as far away as possible, which is why quite often when you overhear them you can only hear half of the conversation - the other resopondant may be simply too far away for you to hear his signal.

(edit) oh, and the reason you're hearing a lot of non-NATO phonetic alphabet stuff is because a lot of hams are just plain sloppy and make it up as they go along or just use their own version.

This is exactly right. The first time I heard a QSL Contest I wondered what the hell I had stumbled upon. I could tell that it was very specifically contained to the ham bands, but it was ALL OVER the ham bands I was able to pick up that night. At the time I had never heard of a QSL contest before, and I was wondering why all of these people were using a completely arbitrary homebrewed phonetic alphabet that would not be consistent from a person message to message.

The next day I asked my friend Mr. B (see my "Tales from the museum" thread for more about him) about it, since he's an experienced ham and longtime SW enthusiast and he explained to me all about these contests, which he referred to as "QSL Clusterfucks."

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
edit: whoops wrong thread.

HFX fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 16, 2009

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

I just picked up a G6 BA edition for $99, turned out to be much smaller than I expected. Also a copy of Passport for $22.95. I haven't picked up much yet, but I'm gonna try a long wire antenna and mess around late at night.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

I heart bacon posted:

I just picked up a G6 BA edition for $99, turned out to be much smaller than I expected. Also a copy of Passport for $22.95. I haven't picked up much yet, but I'm gonna try a long wire antenna and mess around late at night.

That was my first impression. "Good god, its tiny! Where do they keep the ferrite rod in this thing? Wrapped up in a Calibi-Yau manifold?"

Edited for spelign.

AstroZamboni fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 22, 2009

Bohemienne
May 15, 2007
You can put me down for another $90 (Grundig G6 BA Edition) and copy of Passport ($16.95). My grandfather was a big SW enthusiast and I vaguely remember him tinkering around with his huge radio as a kid. I've been wanting to get into it ever since I learned about numbers stations, and now that I'm needing to brush up on my Russki for work, what better way than to listen to crazy broadcasts from halfway around the world? :D

My radio arrived tonight. The first international station I was able to decipher was Deutsche Welle on 9775 KHz at 0012 GMT. Maybe I'm looking stuff up wrong, but according to Passport that frequency for DW is being broadcast all the way out of Kigali, Rwanda. And I'm in Southern USA :aaaaa:

My other finds were Radio Habana via Cuba on 11760 KHz, Portugal Radio International on 11885 KHz, and China Radio International via Canada on 6040 KHz. No Russian stations or numbers stations yet, but the sun just went down here and there's plenty of scanning to do!

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

I put a long wire up over the roof. So far today I grabbed RS-15's beacon at 29352 USB, and spanish numbers on 5883. Freakin sweet... I think I need to string out a longer wire for this and see what I get on my next night off.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

I heart bacon posted:

I put a long wire up over the roof. So far today I grabbed RS-15's beacon at 29352 USB, and spanish numbers on 5883. Freakin sweet... I think I need to string out a longer wire for this and see what I get on my next night off.

Random bits of wire can be fun. I had about 200 ft of speaker wire strung out of my radio room and along the fence in my back yard... picked up all sorts of stuff that way until birds decided sitting on my wire was fun and they broke it :(

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Argh I am so mad I got outbid on a Sony SW7600GR last night. Anyone here selling one or know where to find a cheaper one?

eeboweebo
Nov 17, 2005

Behold Duke Nukem
And die a painful death
Hail to the King, baby.
Well, I saw a Grundig G5 today at Radio Shack and bought it. Add 130USD to the drain fund list. I was going to go for the less expensive, larger Grundig, but remembered that the G5 came well recommended by this thread so I got that one instead.I look forward to my SWL experiences.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

When I got my copy of Passport, it was dead on winter. Now that's it's spring, I find myself wondering about the broadcasts listed with different freq's for summer and winter. Is it that they transmit on different freq's seasonally, or they're transmitting on both but can't be heard on certain continents during certain seasons? Is there a distinct switchover point, or should I just be trying 'em all during the spring? It's no skin off my nose to try for them, I'm mostly just curious how this works.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

When I got my copy of Passport, it was dead on winter. Now that's it's spring, I find myself wondering about the broadcasts listed with different freq's for summer and winter. Is it that they transmit on different freq's seasonally, or they're transmitting on both but can't be heard on certain continents during certain seasons? Is there a distinct switchover point, or should I just be trying 'em all during the spring? It's no skin off my nose to try for them, I'm mostly just curious how this works.

The lower ones will switch frequency in the north hemisphere do to the bands becoming a lot more noisy as spring continues into summer. As a ham, 160 (~2.5Mhz) meters is next to unusable right now unless you are running a lot of power for short distances. 80/75 (3.5-4.0Mhz) is also not very good unless you have a big amp do to the noise floor now being at S4 almost every night and occasionally becoming higher. 40m (7.0-7.3mhz) is currently mixed at the moment. Plus the broadcasters in the 7100-7200 range have almost left for the exception of a few whose countries did not agree to the new rules.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Is it that they transmit on different freq's seasonally, or they're transmitting on both but can't be heard on certain continents during certain seasons?
The first, rather than the latter, not only because of what HFX said, but also because of the time shift of DST, which ties in because the later local sunset means one can use higher frequencies later in the day.

HFX posted:

do
:science: due

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

nmfree posted:

The first, rather than the latter, not only because of what HFX said, but also because of the time shift of DST, which ties in because the later local sunset means one can use higher frequencies later in the day.

:science: due

Thanks. I really should proof read my post a couple times. Interestingly enough, I have been learning that my brain often makes mistakes for words related in some fashion. Learning morse code and watching my typing has been the indicators.

HFX fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 8, 2009

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Madcatz7 posted:

I have a G6 BA as well and I can't pick up ANYTHING except the regular AM and FM bands in my area. Don't know what I am doing wrong and this is very frustrating.

Edit: I guess I need to spring for Passport and a good antenna.

b0nes fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 10, 2009

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

b0nes posted:

I have a G6 BA as well and I can't pick up ANYTHING except the regular AM and FM bands in my area. Don't know what I am doing wrong and this is very frustrating.

Edit: I guess I need to spring for Passport and a good antenna.

Where have you tried listening? You may have a large amount of RFI causing you to overload the circuits and thus you will hear nothing else. You can improve reception by getting or making an antenna that rejects noise / making the antenna resonant for where you want to listen to. I do know in my apartment conditions are often horrible except to listen to the giant shortwave AM guys. However, sneaking away a bit, I can often get a lot more and that's just on the normal antenna.

The G6 is a nice radio. My only complaint being that the SSB functionality could be a bit better. I would love it to have a little more selectivity and a narrow filter. It might also be usb only, which sucks if you are listening to hams below 20m (except for 60m).

Boner Honkfarts
May 19, 2003

AstroZamboni posted:

Its official: The E5/G5 has gone the way of the Dodo in Eton/Grundig's product line. To replace it, they brought out this beast at CES:

http://etoncorp.com/product_card/?p_ProductDbId=916030
http://etoncorp.com/upload/contents/307/G3.pdf

The G3 looks identical to the G5, except it has a few more features:

RDS for station/song info on FM (cool if you listen to FM a lot, otherwise yawn)
Synchronous Detector with Selectable SSB (WOOP WOOP! Elevates the SSB capabilities of the G5 up to those of the E1)
Aeronautical Band

I'm looking to replace my non-SSB Grundig S350 with a decent SSB receiver. The G3 is slated to be for sale in the next month or two, should I wait and get one or just get a Sony ICF-SW7600GR? They look to have comparable features, other than the RDS, which I don't care about.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
The only thing I don't like about the receivers that just say ssb is that they seem to be USB earlier. I realize it now that I have my ham rig and try tuning both in to the same qso's. This is fine for most broadcast and above 20 meters, but you are out of luck otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Hope this post isn't inappropriate but I figured this was the best place for it.

I was inspired by this thread to buy a Grundig G5 and Sony AN-LP1 active antenna. Since purchasing this, I have used it a total of 3 times. I just didn't catch the bug. If anyone is interested, I'll let the G5 go for $75 and the AN-LP1 for $50. I'm not positive that those are acceptable prices (I just did a Google search for the G5 and the cheapest I saw it was $129, and I couldn't find a price on the antenna at all and I don't remember what I paid for it). If anyone's interested, PM me for more info.

• Locked thread