Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

At the risk of inviting bragging and bullshit: anyone offered a cute girl/guy a ride out of the blue and had them accept?

I never carry a second helmet around on the bike, so thats normally a no go. However, it has sparked a conversation or two, which led to rides later on.

I'm sure it would lead to a ride if I had a second helmet though. Most people, expecially college people, are very down to doing whatever and I don't mind riding 2 up that much.

Also don't worry. You consciously ride slower when 2 up, and I personally ride alot safer because its not just my life I'm putting on the line if I ride dumb. But 2 up riding is very simple, after the first 20 feet youre used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

its u, your the one, the rill dill
i look into ur eyes and i see

:ccb:

At the risk of this turning up in my next Helldump callout:

Has anyone offered a ride to a total stranger and had them accept?

Minor anecdotal bit: I'd only been riding for a month, and was stopped at a stoplight by the UT Austin campus around 11PM. Really cute indie chick in a short skirt was at the crosswalk. She made some comment, I said "I'd offer you a ride, but you're wearing a skirt." She replied "oh, I wish!"

Probably good she didn't take it, since I was barely confident in my ability to not kill myself at 30mph, much less another person. Plus I'd bought my bike well-beaten, and missing the passenger footpeg on the left side from when it was dropped.

At the risk of inviting bragging and bullshit: anyone offered a cute girl/guy a ride out of the blue and had them accept?

Paging Morphix to CA, Morphix report to CA please.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

At the risk of this turning up in my next Helldump callout:

Has anyone offered a ride to a total stranger and had them accept?

Minor anecdotal bit: I'd only been riding for a month, and was stopped at a stoplight by the UT Austin campus around 11PM. Really cute indie chick in a short skirt was at the crosswalk. She made some comment, I said "I'd offer you a ride, but you're wearing a skirt." She replied "oh, I wish!"

Probably good she didn't take it, since I was barely confident in my ability to not kill myself at 30mph, much less another person. Plus I'd bought my bike well-beaten, and missing the passenger footpeg on the left side from when it was dropped.

No and no.

Take a lesson from morphix on this one. You'll get the clap and it will be some serious Crying Game poo poo.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I've had women tell me they like bikes, and that I should stop by if I ever want a passenger, but I doubt MY GIRLFRIEND would appreciate it very much, so I just kind of go "Oh, yeah sure..."

However, I do get random people coming up wanting to talk about the Valkyrie. People ask me where I got it, and if I see another Valkyrie rider, they usually gush about how much they want an Interstate.

The best one though, was some homeless guy. I was waiting in traffic and he was walking down the sidewalk, saw me and started walking towards me. I just started whispering "go away, go away, go away" but he he started yelling something that I couldn't hear. I decided to be nice, and raised my visor. He goes "IS THAT A CAR ENGINE?" I replied, "No, but it is a 6 cylinder." He looks at the bike a moment, pumps a fist and goes "That's loving AWESOME!" and walks away. It was pretty funny.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I find that bikes really tend to attract dudes more than anything.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Phat_Albert posted:

This.

Oh sure, I've had a few random friends of friends of friends :j: ask for a ride, but I never usually have a second helmet with me, so it's never spontaneous.

Riding with a pillion is pretty fun, as long as you coach them well enough before taking off into traffic. Oh, and provided they don't panic when you touch a peg down mid corner (note to self, having a passenger on the back compresses the suspension more, meaning that you can't charge quite as hard through the twisty poo poo).

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I was riding with a passenger. Right after I put on a new exhaust on the '80. That exhaust isn't so new anymore.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
I guess this is probably going to come across as bragging, oh well.

I was pulling my bike out of my garage(which is in an alley), and a couple of girls turned the corner and stopped. I ended up talking to them for a bit, and they asked me for a ride. I was actually going to take one of them for a bit, since they were hot and my garage with spare helmets was right there, but then I watched them not quite succeed in standing upright the whole time and decided I didn't really want a drunk girl falling off the back of my bike. I would have stayed and talked to them, but I was getting the bike out to go take another girl I was seeing for a ride.

Also had random drunk girl ask me for a ride while I was stopped at a light, and the friends of friends thing as well.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

This is very very true. But since I go to an art school its ok, because there aren't many people into the automotive scene here it helps me meet riding/talk car buddys.

I've found a lot of girls actually strongly dislike motorcycles do to the whole "You're an idiot for riding one it is a death machine" stigma. Riding 2 up is fun, but on the 500 the power loss due to extra weight is certainly felt under acceleration.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Trintintin posted:

This is very very true. But since I go to an art school its ok, because there aren't many people into the automotive scene here it helps me meet riding/talk car buddys.

I've found a lot of girls actually strongly dislike motorcycles do to the whole "You're an idiot for riding one it is a death machine" stigma. Riding 2 up is fun, but on the 500 the power loss due to extra weight is certainly felt under acceleration.

It's even worse on my 400. The power peak is really late, and passengers get somewhat worried when they hear the engine screaming like that for long periods of time.

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.
Couldn't help myself today, had to see if the bike started :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN2jiWciVw4

Finally got it inside yesterday. Were cleaning the workshop at work the other day, and when I was done I realized my bike would fit in along one of the walls just fine.
Took a few kicks, but as soon as I got the spark plug wire back on it started right up :downs:

Here is how it looked when I finished today.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
You kick like a fairy, and put your kickstand down like one too. What are the grey boxes on the shelves behind the bike?

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.

mutt2jeff posted:

What are the grey boxes on the shelves behind the bike?
Continuous ink jet printers. Typical use of one would be printing expiry dates.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I was talking to a random guy at a bar who had ridden his vrod about his bike. After a bit of chatting he offered to let me ride his bike. I'm pretty sure he wasn't hitting on me, but I refused because I don't drink and ride. I thought he was joking because who the gently caress would let a stranger ride your bike, let alone at a bar.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

It's alright, I'm sure he would have been gentle. :gay:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I thought that disk brake setups were simple, but after taking apart, cleaning, and reassembling the drum on an 88 CB450, I'm of a different opinion. There's like 3 bloody moving parts inside of the drum, and two of those are the shoes. :v:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Spring is trickling in, one degree at a time. Took the bike out around the island, was nice and comfy inside the leathers. Tried dicking with different suspension settings. Front end was harsh on straight bumps but a bit vague, wallow-y and nervous in the corners. Before I've always thought stiffer is better, cause that's how the racers roll right? Wrong. Set the damping to softest (4 settings), preload still on hardest (2 settings), much better. More comfy on the bumps, still vague and wallow-y but no more nervousness. Yay!

Nerobro's tip on cleaning some excess oil off the air cleaner helped cure my mid range flat spot, got even better as the engine heated up. A bit too cold and a bit too slow roads to get it up to normal operating temps, I assume it's even better there. Not going to bother with a carb sync tool yet, it is loving smooooooth.

Forgot my cam, so some crummy cellphone snaps will have to do.

A narrow bridge.

Same bridge, different vantage point. You can barely make out the towers in the middle of the sound.

Fishy community.

Memorial to WW2 fallen in the village of Telavåg. A great tragedy happened here during the war. Two German officers were killed in a skirmish with the resistance, the retribution was severe. All the houses blown up, all the boats sunk, all the cattle slaughtered and all the men sent to Sachsenhausen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telav%C3%A5g

A plaque of apology from a German monastery.

The fields are all bumpy because of sheep grazing. Soon they will be filled with cute lambs bouncing around in blissful ignorance of their impending doom. They are quite tasty.

I tried to find a good view of the open ocean, but have to ride a bit further north for that. Not far at all, but couldn't be bothered! Yay spring!

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
^^^Every time you post pictures I think you're located in some magical, mystical part of New England that miraculously has decent pavement.

Then I see the signs and sigh.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If it's any consolation, the road surface is crap in many places. In one corner there was a ridiculously sharp bump, almost like a crease after bending. Didn't go over it thankfully, but I'm pretty sure it would have upset the bike enough to ruin my day.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Trintintin posted:

Haha, you should see me on my 250 two stroke with a passenger. I have to ring it up to 8500 rpm every shift complete with smoke show and popping.

My fiance likes to ride on her dads Goldwing when we go out because of this :(

8ender fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 13, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

Tried dicking with different suspension settings. Front end was harsh on straight bumps but a bit vague, wallow-y and nervous in the corners. Before I've always thought stiffer is better, cause that's how the racers roll right? Wrong. Set the damping to softest (4 settings), preload still on hardest (2 settings), much better. More comfy on the bumps, still vague and wallow-y but no more nervousness. Yay!

That bit about the harder you can set your suspension the better, is a really common misconception. The harder you set your suspension, the faster you need to be riding to get it into the ideal working range (the middle 2/3rds of the travel). So for most people, stiff suspension just means it never works right.

It's wallowing because you don't have enough compression damping, and it feels vauge because of the bike's inability to stick with the road due to the lack of sufficient compression and rebound damping. It probably feels better with the damping on softest due to it matching the compression feel the best, so the bike doesn't feel great but it's consistant, and there's feedback in consistancy too.

If you feel like making it better, go find some 10w fork oil, and dump the old poo poo out and put the new stuff in. I bet your fork oil's never been changed. You run into problems like what you describe when the fork oil is so worn out it's like water...You can't get enough compression to prevent the bike from wallowing, and you can't get enough rebound to prevent it from springing back up after bumps.

What damping adjustments do you have (compression, rebound)? How much fork travel are you using?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Ola posted:

:aaaaa::fh:

You live in a mystical land, that I will one day either travel or move to.

It's a toss up between Norway and Scotland - do you have fair haired lasses, many castles, and a rich lore of alcohol production? These are the deciding factors.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Simkin posted:

You live in a mystical land, that I will one day either travel or move to.

It's a toss up between Norway and Scotland - do you have fair haired lasses, many castles, and a rich lore of alcohol production? These are the deciding factors.

They both have sheep.
:hurr:

Edit: I love Ola's pictures as well. It really is a beautiful country.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Z3n posted:

If you feel like making it better, go find some 10w fork oil*snip*

What damping adjustments do you have (compression, rebound)? How much fork travel are you using?

Before you have him go about fiddling.

Ola, when was the last time you checked your fork oil level? And do you have your forks aired up? I'm fairly sure the GS750 you're running has air forks, what pressure are you running?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nerobro posted:

Before you have him go about fiddling.

Ola, when was the last time you checked your fork oil level? And do you have your forks aired up? I'm fairly sure the GS750 you're running has air forks, what pressure are you running?

Oh god air forks.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

They work, and work well. :-) Damnit. There's a really good reason rear shocks are pressurized. The only reason they were abandoned is that they require a certain amount of maintenance.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I changed my fork oil last year, the old one was milky grey digusting stuff. Used 10w. There is likely a small imbalance now, as one seal leaked for a while, then quit. I don't really notice that from corner to corner. There's no air valve on them, thank goodness.

The front has a two way preload setting via a nut with cams on the top of the forks and four way knob for damping on the bottom. I suppose it does both compression and rebound, or maybe just compression and rebound is fixed?

Rear has preload on a dial and a four way damping setting. It didn't do much when I twisted it and upon opening it appears the driven gears on the cable are chewed up. I posted a little help-me here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=138553

So now my rear damping is fixed setting until I fix it. :) Maybe I'll go for some aftermarket stuff, but to be honest I feel the whole thing is perfectly ridable. I might also be using the terms in the wrong way.

By nervous, I meant the steering felt loose and the bike felt like falling into the turn when cornering hard. This is gone now. By wallowing, I mean undulations in the road will change the radius of the turn noticably, so I have to correct. And by vague, I mean doing the same type of muscle-memory motion for a turn that looks identical to another results in a different line than I expected, so I have to correct.

The last one might very well be rider skill, I've been a bit of a pussy so far. And from reading about other people's experience with handling issues, it's very likely to change a lot when replacing tires. My tires are from '03 and '04, both quite flattened at the top. I'm changing them as soon as my wallet is in better shape, hopefully within the month. Later on in the year, the most I'll consider in suspension upgrades is $3-400 on a rear shock and whatever it was for those cartridge emulators. I'll try balancing fluid levels with some clever piping asap.

Thanks for the input guys. As for Norway v Scotland - we have prettier girls with WAY better teeth, we're severly limited in the way of castles and our legacy of alcohol production is limited to methanol-riddled moonshine which tends to set our gloomy minds and wooden houses on fire.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
loving ouch

http://jalopnik.com/5168730/stop+motion-motorcycle-collision-on-tail-of-the-dragon

Anyone else see that?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

dietcokefiend posted:

loving ouch

http://jalopnik.com/5168730/stop+motion-motorcycle-collision-on-tail-of-the-dragon

Anyone else see that?

In the picture thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2032191&pagenumber=76#post357799832

I put up a gif a few posts afterwards.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

I changed my fork oil last year, the old one was milky grey digusting stuff. Used 10w. There is likely a small imbalance now, as one seal leaked for a while, then quit. I don't really notice that from corner to corner. There's no air valve on them, thank goodness.

The front has a two way preload setting via a nut with cams on the top of the forks and four way knob for damping on the bottom. I suppose it does both compression and rebound, or maybe just compression and rebound is fixed?

Rear has preload on a dial and a four way damping setting. It didn't do much when I twisted it and upon opening it appears the driven gears on the cable are chewed up. I posted a little help-me here: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=138553

So now my rear damping is fixed setting until I fix it. :) Maybe I'll go for some aftermarket stuff, but to be honest I feel the whole thing is perfectly ridable. I might also be using the terms in the wrong way.

By nervous, I meant the steering felt loose and the bike felt like falling into the turn when cornering hard. This is gone now. By wallowing, I mean undulations in the road will change the radius of the turn noticably, so I have to correct. And by vague, I mean doing the same type of muscle-memory motion for a turn that looks identical to another results in a different line than I expected, so I have to correct.

The last one might very well be rider skill, I've been a bit of a pussy so far. And from reading about other people's experience with handling issues, it's very likely to change a lot when replacing tires. My tires are from '03 and '04, both quite flattened at the top. I'm changing them as soon as my wallet is in better shape, hopefully within the month. Later on in the year, the most I'll consider in suspension upgrades is $3-400 on a rear shock and whatever it was for those cartridge emulators. I'll try balancing fluid levels with some clever piping asap.

Thanks for the input guys. As for Norway v Scotland - we have prettier girls with WAY better teeth, we're severly limited in the way of castles and our legacy of alcohol production is limited to methanol-riddled moonshine which tends to set our gloomy minds and wooden houses on fire.

Ahh, yeah, I'd go with replacing the tires first then. I'll take good tires with poo poo suspension over the reverse any day. The nervousness is probably you rolling over the "lip" of the flat spot on the tires. Wallowing is probably a suspension issue that won't be too easily sorted with basic suspension work, as you're dealing with an old, heavy bike with spindly forks.

You've already started to learn to ride around it, so keep doing that and I'm sure you'll be fine :) Then when you do the real upgrades, it'll be night and day. Nothing like learning on lovely suspension to make you appreciate the real stuff.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yup, I think I'm in good shape all things considered. Thanks again.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm back on 2 wheels after a brief winter hiatus, feels fantastic. I think I'll go for a ride this weekend, maybe get some pics up here to compete with Ola ;). I'm planning on doing a multi-day trip around Wales later this spring or early summer, and trip down to Cornwall might be in the cards. Plus some continental touring when I can. I love booting around on my Peg, as nice as my VFR was, it just wasn't as fun as the Pegaso. It's not that great for extended high-speed motorway stuff but makes up for it on the B roads.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Linedance posted:

. . . I'm planning on doing a multi-day trip around Wales later this spring or early summer, and trip down to Cornwall might be in the cards. Plus some continental touring when I can . . .

Is it bad that I want to drive down to Cornwall from the Midlands and back, purely for a decent cornish pasty? For those with a less than stellar grasp of British geography, that's a 4 and a half hour journey there. Even worse, I'm considering taking the friend on the 125 who can't use the motorways, that bumps it up to about 7 and a half hours there.

They do make the best drat Cornish Pasties in Port Isaac though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Orange Someone posted:

Is it bad that I want to drive down to Cornwall from the Midlands and back, purely for a decent cornish pasty? For those with a less than stellar grasp of British geography, that's a 4 and a half hour journey there. Even worse, I'm considering taking the friend on the 125 who can't use the motorways, that bumps it up to about 7 and a half hours there.

not too much further than me, meet you in Bristol! :)

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Orange Someone posted:

This is definitely a good idea. My Goldwing-riding friends rode about 1000 miles in a day to eat at a particular burger joint in the next state over. Of course, they were riding Goldwings.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Zenaida posted:

This is definitely a good idea. My Goldwing-riding friends rode about 1000 miles in a day to eat at a particular burger joint in the next state over. Of course, they were riding Goldwings.

They had to stop for food? Didn't the bikes have the kitchenette option?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Maybe they bought the pre-2008 models, and thus were unable to option a deep fryer.

Edit:
Holy poo poo, I love my boots.

Coming home from the bike shop, on the cb450, and I was just putting it through its paces - nothing too harsh, just a quick boot up to 110km/h, and then a nice looooong off-ramp - albeit right after the first rain in a good long while. :/ Nearing the end of the turn, the off-ramp meets up with a fairly major intersection, and I have to slow down, change direction, and merge with the major road. Normally, this isn't too much of a problem, except that the tyres on this bike are of unknown vintage (they look alright, but I think after this, I'll see if I can't find some more acceptable rubber), and they apparently don't have any sort of agreement with the tarmac, regarding acceptable forces. Soooo.... the front locks up, probably at ~40km/h, and over I go ... well, not quite. Somehow, I managed to get my right foot down, and prop the bike back up, all while the front end is desperately trying to make fast friends with terra firma. I guess I also had the presence of mind to immediately let off the front brake, as I stood it back up, got it pointed forwards, and reapplied the brake (so that I didn't slide across 3 lanes of traffic). There was some guy standing at a bus stop, about 10m away, and I'm pretty sure he saw the whole incident, from the way that he looked at me, afterwards.

Pretty sure, that if I hadn't been wearing proper boots (especially with sliders), my foot would have just been pinned under the bike, instead of allowing me to pull of some crazy-rear end save.

Simkin fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 15, 2009

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Simkin posted:

There was some guy standing at a bus stop, about 10m away, and I'm pretty sure he saw the whole incident, from the way that he looked at me, afterwards.

You're thinking "Oh poo poo I'm going in shriek like a schoolgirl oh no!!" and the guy watching is like "Holy crap that guy is a diety among men, I was not worthy to watch such a display of skill".

For those watching this at home who don't have the mad riding skills and the magical riding boots-keep in mind that saving yourself from a lowside can turn into a highside. You start to slide out, you keep the bike upright-ish, the wheels suddenly hook up and the bike catapults you over the other side. I'm not saying give in and fall down but try to remember the possible downside. If our hero hadn't let go of the front brake, poo poo could have got real.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, post-near-catastrophic-ooops, I did kind of reflect on the fact that it probably wasn't the safest way to handle the situation. Then again, I was also facing the very real possibility of hitting a small concrete island, or sliding across three lanes of traffic. :3: It did feel pretty badass, although I was more happy for not wrecking a bike that is a)not really mine, and b)wearing plates from my other bike - the one that is registered.

Note to self - shakedown rides should be done on ideal days, and always close to home.

I've been lucky, thus far, in my riding career. Four lowsides, and not a single highside. Also, nothing broken (other than brake levers, handlebars, fairings, ... :bang: ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Weird, I had a similar situation today and my awesome boots saved me as well. I was riding though the local park (it has a through road) and figured I'd park the bike and check out a bridge that had been washed out by flooding.

Stupid me I forgot that spring=really loving soft ground and rode down a grass embankment on an angle. The rear tire immediately slipped out and I started to low side. I stuck my foot out and saved the bike but at the same time accidentally gunned the throttle while the bike was still at a 45 degree angle.

The bike started spinning around throwing mud in all directions with my leg as the pivot and me holding on for dear life. I finally figured out the problem and pulled the front brake while letting off the throttle. Somehow I came to a stop upright at the bottom of the embankment. The only thing broken was my pride.

A family was in the park watching this and the dad clapped when he saw I was alright. :unsmith: