Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angelfoodcakez
Mar 22, 2003
crank dat robocop

adorai posted:

iscsi targets on the opensolaris box, and gigabit ethernet. Performance isn't quite as fast as it would be if I had a few disks available to put in the ESXi box, however I can do snapshot gimmicks for backups and I didn't have to worry about using a motherboard with a supported storage controller.
Ah, so I couldn't serve from a UNC path like a WHS box?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Can anybody recommend a relatively decent but cheap gigabit pci card that supports WOL?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

angelfoodcakez posted:

Ah, so I couldn't serve from a UNC path like a WHS box?

NFS or iSCSI

LegionX
Jan 11, 2009

Triikan posted:

Can anybody recommend a relatively decent but cheap gigabit pci card that supports WOL?

I'll suggest the Intel PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adaptor.

I use it in all my boxes, and have experienced amazing speeds, without much CPU load.

(I also recommend the HP ProCurve 1800-8G switch.)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

LegionX posted:

I use it in all my boxes, and have experienced amazing speeds, without much CPU load.

Does that switch allow teaming?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Does that switch allow teaming?

2nd link:
IEEE 802.1p Priority; IEEE 802.1Q VLANs; IEEE 802.3ad Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP); IEEE 802.3x Flow Control; RFC 1534 DHCP/BOOTP Interoperation

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=HP+ProCurve+1800-8G+

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
Does anyone know where the ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer is in stock? Everywhere seems to show it as out of stock, but the ReadyNAS forums seem to imply that it has been released (and their forums won't send me my registration email, or I'd ask over there).

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

LegionX posted:

Looks good, ordered

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
So I posted my question first over in the enterprise thread, but maybe this is better

quote:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask but should be close enough.

We run a test model environment where a bunch of projects come in and set up model networks etc and test them out before they go and build a live version.

All of this has been internal-company type stuff, but we're about to now go into a cost-recovery charging model where we'll charge the individual projects for the various model services.

One of the things my boss is interested in doing is providing a simple backup service that we can charge the projects for on a per TB basis or whatever, and is wondering what can be done in the way of a proof of concept.

He's currently thinking something in the realm of NZ$2000 (about US$1k) to start with, and eventually having us go to a larger setup once projects come in that have the requirement for a large amount of backup space.

What's a good way to set up a reasonably cheap NAS-like solution, preferably something that has a simple to use interface for management, and of course works across various OS's. Performance isn't a major factor as it'll only be for backups and recovery, not live storage. I was thinking a large server with a bunch of 1TB drives in it, but not sure what would be a good software for this. And ultimately we're only a test environment, not production, so there's nothing life and death about the solution.

Now since finding this thread, I'm looking at things like the Jetstor SATA 405U and seem pretty interested, I just have some questions on what they're like to use, and if it sounds suitable for our purposes. I was anticipating using something that ran on the network entirely, while the Jetstor only does eSATA, so it would need a controlling PC. Would an ideal solution be a box connected to this thing that runs some software that's able to pull certain directories off of various servers/PC's? Something where it's easy to add/remove new sources for backing up as we have a pretty fluid network here.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
So I am in somewhat of a pickle. MY HD HTPC is running out of room rapidly. I am using a C2D E6750 on an older Asus P5B board, just the plain ole P5B. The raid chipset terrible and splits the sata ports across two different controllers, so I don't have enough ports on one controller to do a decent RAID5 setup.

The board also limits me to one PCIex16 slot, which is filled by my ATI 4670 card, but I have 3 PCIex1 slots, so I thought about the Highpoint 2640x1 card, but it seems like those are terrible and have been getting bad reviews.

I have 1 120GB sataII drive for my OS and apps, then currently 1 1TB Seagate, but I planned on ordering another 3 1TB WD Black drives to get about 3Tb usable out of a RAID5 setup.

I liked the HighPoint cards because of the online expansion and addition, because this would allow me to build a 2TB array out of the 3 new drives, migrate my data over, then add the remaining 1TB to the pool and have it re-organize the parity overnight.

I guess my only other options are a new motherboard like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813136051 with all 6 ports on the ICH9R, but not sure how well the ICH9R would do in a MCE enviroment. My ATI card handles all of the video work, so the CPU is free for some cycle for help with the software raid portion of the ICH9R chip.

The array is mainly going to be for storage and playback of HD content, so purely reads unless I am copying over something.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to keep this all contained in my silverstone case, but I also thought about adding another Intel gigabit NIC and building some sort of NAS and just xover between them with private IPs and jumbo frames. I don't need the NAS to be access by other systems on the network.

Mr. Boogalow
Jul 7, 2007

Like a puppet on a string, like a monkey on a swing.
I didn't see this specific product mentioned, and my knowledge of computers is just enough for me to break something, so does anyone have any experience with the TowerRAID TR4M-B?

It seems like an inexpensive way to get a RAID5 thing going. My ASUS M2N-E says it has Raid5 capability, but I've read some harsh reviews about reliability.

Am I walking into dangerous territory? Will I blow up my computer?

I don't know if this will help, but here's the computer I plan to plug it in to:

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz
Mobo: ASUS M2N-E
Video Card: GIGABYTE GV-NX76G512P-RH GeForce 7600GS
RAM: 2x pqi TURBO 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 in the process of upgrading to 4x

I've got 2x Seagate Barracude 1.5tb drives, and plan to get two more.

Animaniac
Jul 14, 2003

Take a good look at the men and women that stand next to you. Remember their faces. For one day you will tell your children that you served with such men and women.
This is the worst, guys. I've been casually lurking this thread and searching for the right case for probably more than a year now. It seems that no vendor produces minimal cases for storage servers beyond 4 drives (Chenbro). I would like to build a 6-drive NAS, but for that kind of capacity I would need to look at towers--cases much larger (particularly in depth) than I would like. Even 5-in-3 modifications to microATX cases would not work, since there are no microATX cases with three 5.25" bays. They all decide to provide two 5.25" and one 3.5" bays--apparently, we all still use floppy disk drives. It's frustrating that there is no product in this space. From what I can tell there really is unmet demand. Would anyone have any ideas? Am I missing an option here? I'd really appreciate it. Finding the right case is the only thing holding me back for the last year or so. Thanks!

Animaniac fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 15, 2009

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Animaniac posted:

there are no microATX cases with three 5.25" bays
what's wrong with http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=Mw== ?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Animaniac posted:

Finding the right case is the only thing holding me back for the last year or so. Thanks!

Arguably there's drat good reason for this - I have nine hard drives crammed into an Antec mid-tower (6x500GB RAID5, 2x200GB RAID0, 80GB boot) and a few of them run pretty drat hot. Now, granted, the airflow is pretty poor for as many drives as there are in here, and a properly designed case for this many drives would likely improve on that problem.

All that said, I also wish that what you're asking for existed.

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug

Animaniac posted:

This is the worst, guys. I've been casually lurking this thread and searching for the right case for probably more than a year now. It seems that no vendor produces minimal cases for storage servers beyond 4 drives (Chenbro). I would like to build a 6-drive NAS, but for that kind of capacity I would need to look at towers--cases much larger (particularly in depth) than I would like. Even 5-in-3 modifications to microATX cases would not work, since there are no microATX cases with three 5.25" bays. They all decide to provide two 5.25" and one 3.5" bays--apparently, we all still use floppy disk drives. It's frustrating that there is no product in this space. From what I can tell there really is unmet demand. Would anyone have any ideas? Am I missing an option here? I'd really appreciate it. Finding the right case is the only thing holding me back for the last year or so. Thanks!

You mean something like this: http://via-itx.com/via-nsd7800-network-storage-server.html

Eris Is Goddess
Nov 18, 2000

I just got this because it was cheap and had the space and drive bays I was looking for, I'll let y'all know if it's quiet enough.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The problem I had with a lot of those supposed "microATX" towers is that they're actually about the same size as a lot of regular ATX towers.

The 8-bay VIA drive tower would be nice if I could use my own motherboard, but I don't think we could find the OEM that VIA used until someone actually bought one of those, looked up the manufacturer labeled on the sucker, and we called up some dude in China / Taiwan.

I'm planning on picking up a cheapass, smallish case and waiting for a more ideal file server enclosure. If nothing comes up, I'll just get a SATA port multiplier in the 5.25" external bays as I fill up the bays and rotate out drives.

adorai posted:

what's wrong with http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=Mw== ?
The problem with that case for me (I suspect it's the same for Animaniac) is that the 3 external bays are not immediately next to each other to be able to put in a 5x port multiplier. There's a lot of internal bays available in that case, but on top of being an overkill case for a file server probably, its dimensions are fairly large for a "microATX" case like I mentioned above. The case I'm going to pick up is a full 6" shorter than that one with a similar amount of drive bays.

Cooling shouldn't be as important for home users buying those low power drives because they happen to use a lot less power and as a result produce less heat potentially. If you've got 15k rpm SAS drives like in a business environment, then cooling is a lot bigger concern and you should be looking at a serious case with serious cooling... or just buy the dumbass 4u file server like you're supposed to.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

necrobobsledder posted:

Cooling shouldn't be as important for home users buying those low power drives because they happen to use a lot less power and as a result produce less heat potentially. If you've got 15k rpm SAS drives like in a business environment, then cooling is a lot bigger concern and you should be looking at a serious case with serious cooling... or just buy the dumbass 4u file server like you're supposed to.

You'd be impressed at the heat standard 7200RPM desktop drives put out in close proximity to another. Right now my fileserver is reporting drive temperatures ranging from 35* C to 48* C depending on where the drive is in the case, and it's a bit cool in the room...I'll see peak drive temperatures in the 50-55* C range for some of them.

On top of that, I once had the RAID5 array rebuilding with the 5-in-3 backplane sitting out of the case, out of the airflow and without a fan directly attached. It actually triggered the audible alarm that was set to go off at 80* C, and the whole enclosure was so hot I had to be careful handling it for a few minutes. Amazingly, none of the drives have shown any ill effects from that, and that was months ago.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

You'd be impressed at the heat standard 7200RPM desktop drives put out in close proximity to another.
Regardless, I got smacked down by this a while ago, google published a paper regarding drive failures in it's datacenters, and found no correlation between high temperature and drive failure rates (after an initial 6 month period). In fact, they found that low temps (68 degrees) were more likely to cause a failure.

http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

adorai posted:

Regardless, I got smacked down by this a while ago, google published a paper regarding drive failures in it's datacenters, and found no correlation between high temperature and drive failure rates (after an initial 6 month period). In fact, they found that low temps (68 degrees) were more likely to cause a failure.

http://labs.google.com/papers/disk_failures.pdf

Yeah, I just read that before my post and probably should have mentioned this line...

Google posted:

In fact, there is a clear trend showing that lower temperatures are associated with higher failure rates. Only at very high temperatures is there a slight reversal of this trend.

In their recording, 'very high' = 45* C or higher. I've got at least three drives averaging close to 50 degrees. All that said, I'm not really worried...it is, by their own admission, a slight reversal, and it's a failure rate that doesn't become prevalent until the 3+ year mark. I just wish it was possible to get this many drives into a small tower and at least keep them below that 45* C mark. You obviously need some form of airflow, otherwise you end up with the too-hot-to-touch drive case I had when I was rebuilding my array.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Apologies if this has been asked, but has anyone been using UNRAID for their system?
I've been heavily researching on their site and forums and I think its the system for me.
Has anyone on here had experiences both good or bad with UNRAID and more importantly, had to recover from a drive failure? Easy process?

Thanks!

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002
Cant find a calculator for RAIDZ1 anywhere, but what kind of usable storage will I get out of 3x 1TB drives and 2x 1.5TB drives?

Would it be good to do them all in one giant pool, or should I split them up?

I know if I did 5x 1TB drives I would get 4TB's usable...

complex
Sep 16, 2003

PrettyhateM posted:

Cant find a calculator for RAIDZ1 anywhere, but what kind of usable storage will I get out of 3x 1TB drives and 2x 1.5TB drives?

Would it be good to do them all in one giant pool, or should I split them up?

I know if I did 5x 1TB drives I would get 4TB's usable...

Like most RAID systems, the .5TB extra on the two 1.5TB disks will be ignored. Your zpool will be 5TB and your filesystem will be 4TB.

If you were planning on ever upgrading the 1TB disks to 1.5TB I would put them in the same pool.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't recommend it but you can use files on the 1.5tb drives as block devices. Create 1TB files on each of the 1.5TB drives, and you'll be able to create a second array with the leftover 500GB on each. Performance will be impacted, but depending on what you are doing it may not matter.

PrettyhateM
Apr 17, 2002
Well I havent purchased the 1.5TB drives yet, glad I havent yet. I guess I will get two 1TB's instead.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
One option you have would be to just buy the 1.5 tb drives and replace the existing 1 tbs with 1.5 tb drives later, then expand the zpool. Then you could create another zpool with the existing 1tb drives. I prefer to have multiple zpools instead of a single, giant zpool for home servers.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
A friend wants me to put together a NAS for him on the cheap.

How awful of an idea is it to use one of the new Intel Atom platforms to run windows xp (linux is too complicated for him) along with a 4 sata port pci card and 6 hard drives max with windows running off a flash card. Looking to simply serve files and probably not bother with raid. Will an atom 330 have enough power for this? A motherboard+cpu is about $70 off newegg.

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004
not queer for western digital

politicorific posted:

How awful of an idea is it to use one of the new Intel Atom platforms to run windows xp (linux is too complicated for him) along with a 4 sata port pci card and 6 hard drives max with windows running off a flash card. Looking to simply serve files and probably not bother with raid. Will an atom 330 have enough power for this? A motherboard+cpu is about $70 off newegg.

I did this and it worked fine for the last year up until this weekend; but don't bother with the drat flash card. It's more trouble than it's worth for the space you're giving up on os footprint. Plus if you do decide to do raid, with your OS image isn't mirrored if it's on a crap flash drive. I even ran TVersity on it, but I had the transcoding turned off. I used the D945GCLF board which has the even lower end Atom 230 on it, and I only put in 512mb of ram. Seemed to run just fine.

I don't have that setup anymore though. This last weekend there was a sale on 1TB drives at the local fry's and I wanted to ditch the cheap sata card for a cheap gigabit card. And the illegitimate windows copy. FreeNAS has dicked up cifs performance as has been noted. Going the linux route it was quick and painless to do a command-line install of Xubuntu and run 'apt-get install samba'. Not so painless is configuring a smb.conf, I still have no idea why none of the shares will show up in mac os x unless the global setting is 'security=share'.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

politicorific posted:

sounds like it would be fine have you thought about using windows home server instead of xp? if folder replication is turned on adding drives at a later date is so much easier.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

politicorific posted:

Take a look at this guide. I know it has a lot of stuff he probably won't need, but it does show how to get a quick / easy file server up and running.
http://www.ulverston.myzen.co.uk/mini-itx/pages/hardware.htm
(Just switch the motherboard from the via to the atom and it is about the same)
I had clark connect running in standalone mode for a while with open shares on my network. I used the atom330 2gb ram, and a 500gb sata drive. Everything worked great. I just moved to windows home server though.

You'll probably read this in the reviews but the fan on the atom chipset is loving horrible and will probably start going out after about 2 weeks of use.

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004

Dobermaniac posted:

You'll probably read this in the reviews but the fan on the atom chipset is loving horrible and will probably start going out after about 2 weeks of use.

Unplug it. All Intel chipsets can fine fanless and even without heat sinks.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
This one gets hot. There is no fan on the CPU, just one on the chipset. I think it's necessary.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I figured I would ask this here, since hard drives are main component of this thread. This is not for a NAS, just for a reliable new big drive for my main storage.

I am thinking of getting a new WD 1.5tb drive, but apparently the drive must be new enough that newegg only has like 20 reviews so far, and like half of them say the things are bad.

Is this a symptom that a lot of 1.0+tb drives now have, or is this just a bad review sample? Their 1tb drive of the same type has like 300+ reviews and 90% are good, which sounds like a better review sample.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

jeeves posted:

:words:

This can be summed up in a few points:

*Hard drives are mechanically complex and delicate devices that will all inevitably fail, no matter how well designed
*People who have negative experiences are far quicker to post reviews than positive ones
*The average Newegg reviewer is a mongoloid who has never bothered to understand the first point, and doesn't back up data properly

I think that outside of the issues Seagate had with firmwares, there hasn't been a case of one manufacturer putting out a seriously inferior drive for a long time, and the firmware issues are easily resolved. If you're putting 1.5TB of data you give a poo poo about on that drive, back it up somewhere. If you don't care about it, don't bother backing it up and realize that sooner or later that drive will die.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

IOwnCalculus posted:

This can be summed up in a few points:

*Hard drives are mechanically complex and delicate devices that will all inevitably fail, no matter how well designed
*People who have negative experiences are far quicker to post reviews than positive ones
*The average Newegg reviewer is a mongoloid who has never bothered to understand the first point, and doesn't back up data properly

I think that outside of the issues Seagate had with firmwares, there hasn't been a case of one manufacturer putting out a seriously inferior drive for a long time, and the firmware issues are easily resolved. If you're putting 1.5TB of data you give a poo poo about on that drive, back it up somewhere. If you don't care about it, don't bother backing it up and realize that sooner or later that drive will die.

I pretty much expect that most newegg reviews will be negative since if you are happy with your purchase you can't be bothered to type in a review or poo poo.

I was just curious if there has been a rise in problems in 1tb+ drives, as this thread is full of folks who use large drives, so I thought I would ask.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

Raptop posted:

I did this and it worked fine for the last year up until this weekend; but don't bother with the drat flash card. It's more trouble than it's worth for the space you're giving up on os footprint. Plus if you do decide to do raid, with your OS image isn't mirrored if it's on a crap flash drive. I even ran TVersity on it, but I had the transcoding turned off. I used the D945GCLF board which has the even lower end Atom 230 on it, and I only put in 512mb of ram. Seemed to run just fine.

I don't have that setup anymore though. This last weekend there was a sale on 1TB drives at the local fry's and I wanted to ditch the cheap sata card for a cheap gigabit card. And the illegitimate windows copy. FreeNAS has dicked up cifs performance as has been noted. Going the linux route it was quick and painless to do a command-line install of Xubuntu and run 'apt-get install samba'. Not so painless is configuring a smb.conf, I still have no idea why none of the shares will show up in mac os x unless the global setting is 'security=share'.

Excellent, ended up getting an ECS motherboard with both a pci-e and pci slot (one for 802.11n wifi and the other for a future 4x or 8x sata card). I looked at the intel boards with gigabit, but my friend doesn't have any other gigabit hardware - the plan is to get an Ion htpc once they come out, but that's a ways out, but still 802.11n should be fast enough for a while.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135100

FreeNAS still hasn't fixed the cifs problems? I did see they finally included transmission, only a year after developers saying they'd never include a torrent client.

Going with XP because I've got plenty of licenses around for it. WHS doesn't appeal to me much, I tried it when the megathread came out and I just wasn't impressed, but I had the same opinions about vista.

Can anyone give me a write up on unraid? I meant to include this in my first post.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
I am thinking of getting a DNS-323 and earlier tonight discovered it has a bit torrent client on it. Does anyone know what client this is?

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001

Crush posted:

I am thinking of getting a DNS-323 and earlier tonight discovered it has a bit torrent client on it. Does anyone know what client this is?

With fun_plug you can install any number of clients on it like transmission.

http://wiki.dns323.info/howto:ffp

Raptop
Sep 3, 2004
Speaking of which, what is the preferred client these days? I want to stick it on my new xubuntu server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pearofducks
Jan 21, 2003

quack?
I just ordered a dns-323 and 2 Samsung Spinpoint 1TB drives. Excited to finally get organized.

Anyone know what the advantages are of doing a deb install on the thing over the fun plug?