Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaws!
May 25, 2008
Whats with the hating of choppers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They're the ultimate form of poserdom in the motorcycle world? They're designed for nothing but being showpieces, and thats the only thing they do well, everything else they do, they do completely lovely.

In a nutshell.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Phat_Albert posted:

They're the ultimate form of poserdom in the motorcycle world? They're designed for nothing but being showpieces, and thats the only thing they do well, everything else they do, they do completely lovely.

In a nutshell.

Not that we have any opinions one way or the other of course.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Phat_Albert posted:

In a nutshell.

You secretly lust after the Honda Fury don't you.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Orange Someone posted:

Not that we have any opinions one way or the other of course.

But he's right. There's a lot of cruisers now that are pretty damned capable. Anything that's "acutally" raked out. Has a front brake that's "just for show" or none at all. And can't lean more than 15 degrees...

If it can't go. Can't stop. Can't turn. Can't ride long distances. CAn't be ridden in the rain. Etc, etc, etc.... What's the freaking point?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Nerobro, you're making my head hurt.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I need to remember that the big grin on my face denoting sarcasm doesn't actually come across when I'm posting on the internets.

I used to just think that it was a funny stereotype that didn't actually exist, the weekend chopper/harley rider with absolutely spotless leathers and helmet who thinks he's better than any other sort of biker. Then I started riding and found that it was actually true.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
Some glamor shots from the fall. I think I've posted some of these before but deal with it.

props to my photographer buddy Andy!

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

cmorrow001 posted:

Some glamor shots from the fall. I think I've posted some of these before but deal with it.

You should probably avoid the San Jose area of California because I WILL steal your bike if I see it. Ridiculously hot. Do you have bigger versions?

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

pr0zac posted:

You should probably avoid the San Jose area of California because I WILL steal your bike if I see it. Ridiculously hot. Do you have bigger versions?

Thanks for the compliments. Take a look at the whole gallery. If you are interested in a few in a larger size I'm sure I can get them for you

http://www.andyaardema.com/gallery/6284417_J8w9v#396342409_7pVgP

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

cmorrow001 posted:

Thanks for the compliments. Take a look at the whole gallery. If you are interested in a few in a larger size I'm sure I can get them for you

http://www.andyaardema.com/gallery/6284417_J8w9v#396342409_7pVgP

I'd really just like:

as a wallpaper for my vertical monitor.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
Bike work day

Cleared a work area out front

New coil. Also not pictured because its tedious: Checking all connections all over, Reattaching CDI, checking grounds and wires, blah blah

Battery is hosed

eww

Well the serious stuff is done lets gently caress around with a stupid rack. That Plate sticker is from the PO

Oh wow clean. That Rack is a pain in the rear end i hate it

Next time: new Battery, new CDI, and I'll still probably have no spark.

Chill_Bebop fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 13, 2009

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Just traded in my 85 Kawasaki GPZ750 for something a little...different...
It looks redder in the pictures than in real life; it's actually a fairly bright orange. I took it for a short (2 mile) initiation ride today and I've never been on a bike with this kind of torque! It's an '06 Lighting XB12SS with about 3500 on the clock.

Forgive the photos, but my garage has less-than-adequate lighting

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Well, that's certainly very ... red. I guess the next step would be dying the seat red as well? :v:

I'd love to give one of the larger Buells a go - the last one I tried was a blast, way back in MSF, and I thought it was fun, but way too goddamn small for me.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Simkin posted:

Well, that's certainly very ... red. I guess the next step would be dying the seat red as well? :v:

I'd love to give one of the larger Buells a go - the last one I tried was a blast, way back in MSF, and I thought it was fun, but way too goddamn small for me.

My last daily rider was an 01 Blast. I have short legs so it was a good fit for me, but going from 34hp to 103 is a HUGE difference. I should take some pictures in natural light to get the color better...

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

'06 Lighting XB12SS
:hfive: I absolutely love mine, and can't wait to fetch her from winter storage for the season. :)

Simkin, I'm 6'3" and 240 or so, and my XB12Ss fits me perfectly.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Fantastipotamus posted:

:hfive: I absolutely love mine, and can't wait to fetch her from winter storage for the season. :)

Simkin, I'm 6'3" and 240 or so, and my XB12Ss fits me perfectly.

I'm 5'10" and 215ish and it suits me as well. I have short legs, which I thought would be a problem, but it's actually not so bad. I've heard the SS is the most comfortable of the Ligtnings, and I'm definitely enamored with mine. Put 15 miles on it today just tooling around getting used to it and it's wonderful; same Buell feeling as my Blast, but so much more power. It's in the 50s this weekend, finally warm enough to ride!

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

I'm 5'10" and 215ish and it suits me as well. I have short legs, which I thought would be a problem, but it's actually not so bad. I've heard the SS is the most comfortable of the Ligtnings, and I'm definitely enamored with mine. Put 15 miles on it today just tooling around getting used to it and it's wonderful; same Buell feeling as my Blast, but so much more power. It's in the 50s this weekend, finally warm enough to ride!
Excellent, glad you like it. While the temp here in NH should reach almost 60 today, I don't think I can reason fetching the bike out of storage until the threat of snow is completely gone. So, probably April for me, but that's only a few weeks off.

Once you get some saddle time, let me know what sort of MPG you're getting, would you? People are all over the map over at Buelletinboards.com, but I'm getting around 50mpg most tanks. I get about 195 miles out of the 3.7 gal fill up (I try to fill up as soon as the light starts blinking).

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I'm lucky to get 150 on a tank, and mine is an XB9S, but I mostly stay off highways and can't resist cranking the throttle. It's pretty comfortable for me (6'1" 210lbs), but after a few hours I wish I had the $400 to drop on a Corbin seat. I rode a Blast for about a month and it was quite uncomfortable in the crotch.

Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004

cmorrow001 posted:

I wish the Street had a one sided swingarm, so drat sexy.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Just got the seat put back on my 550, and cleaned it all up. It's still running to lean, so I need to grab some bigger jets.
1974 CB550

Here is the 75' CB750, not firing on two cylinders so I'm going to put CB900 coils on it and see how it does.

And here is the pair.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Fantastipotamus posted:

Excellent, glad you like it. While the temp here in NH should reach almost 60 today, I don't think I can reason fetching the bike out of storage until the threat of snow is completely gone. So, probably April for me, but that's only a few weeks off.

Once you get some saddle time, let me know what sort of MPG you're getting, would you? People are all over the map over at Buelletinboards.com, but I'm getting around 50mpg most tanks. I get about 195 miles out of the 3.7 gal fill up (I try to fill up as soon as the light starts blinking).

I'll def. try to remember to tell you. I do have a quick question (crosspost from the questions megathread): the battery won't start the bike, even after my 90 minute ride today, and it gets hot while riding. I'm thinking bad battery that is getting overheated from trying to charge. Consensus?

On the plus side, a 90 minute ride was like butter compared to my Blast.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Valt posted:

Just got the seat put back on my 550, and cleaned it all up. It's still running to lean, so I need to grab some bigger jets.
1974 CB550

Didn't realize you had a 550 cafe, too. Where'd you find that seat? Was it custom made?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

I'll def. try to remember to tell you. I do have a quick question (crosspost from the questions megathread): the battery won't start the bike, even after my 90 minute ride today, and it gets hot while riding. I'm thinking bad battery that is getting overheated from trying to charge. Consensus?

On the plus side, a 90 minute ride was like butter compared to my Blast.
Hmm, how are you starting it? Jump-starting/roll-starting? It's not cranking, I assume?

The heat is likely a byproduct of the huge amounts of heat from the bike, and probably not the battery.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Fantastipotamus posted:

Hmm, how are you starting it? Jump-starting/roll-starting? It's not cranking, I assume?

The heat is likely a byproduct of the huge amounts of heat from the bike, and probably not the battery.

Well, i was trying to use the starter to start it. When that didn't work, I put it on a trickle charger for 30 minutes and that gave it enough juice to start it for my ride today, but when I got home and tried to leave again a few minutes later, it wouldn't crank again. The little automated tester at Advance said it had 12.4v and 28CA, and recommended replacing the battery. Do you think their tester is reliable?

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 16, 2009

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

God-damned Pilates posted:

Didn't realize you had a 550 cafe, too. Where'd you find that seat? Was it custom made?

bought it from a member on SOHC4.net, it had sat out in the elements for several years. Took it and got it painted and upholstered. I'm guessing it's just a custom fiberglass piece though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Well, i was trying to use the starter to start it. When that didn't work, I put it on a trickle charger for 30 minutes and that gave it enough juice to start it for my ride today, but when I got home and tried to leave again a few minutes later, it wouldn't crank again. The little automated tester at Advance said it had 12.4v and 28CA, and recommended replacing the battery. Do you think their tester is reliable?

Sounds like you need to replace the battery, so...yes.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Z3n posted:

Sounds like you need to replace the battery, so...yes.

Excellent. Like I said (at least I think I said it?) I thought that was the problem...What do you guys think of calling the dealership and asking for a reimbursement for the battery? I just picked the bike up on Friday and they didn't disclose to me that there were any problems with the battery. I think it's the original battery, so it might be at the end of its life regardless, but shouldn't they have checked it's charge state etc. during the PDI (pre delivery inspection)?

By the way, Z3n, your posts have been getting shorter lately...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Excellent. Like I said (at least I think I said it?) I thought that was the problem...What do you guys think of calling the dealership and asking for a reimbursement for the battery? I just picked the bike up on Friday and they didn't disclose to me that there were any problems with the battery. I think it's the original battery, so it might be at the end of its life regardless, but shouldn't they have checked it's charge state etc. during the PDI (pre delivery inspection)?

By the way, Z3n, your posts have been getting shorter lately...

It's hard to tell if the battery is good or not if you're not riding the bike regularly. If they've got it on a trickle charger, pull it off the charger, start the bike once or twice, maybe take it out for a spin, they could have missed that the battery was on it's way out.

I'd ask them nicely, and if their customer service is even halfway decent, they should replace/reimburse you for it.

It's also worth checking the charging system. When you install the new battery, get a multimeter, attach it to the battery, start the bike, and rev it up about 1/3rd of overall RPM. You should get roughly 14v, consistantly, with the bike at that RPM. If it's spiking up or is low, you've got some issue with the charging system.

The only reason I mention this is because sometimes people will end up with bikes that have charging systems that are burning out their batteries and they can't figure out why. If you just check it now, you'll know if the charging system is good and if you have any other work to do :)

There, a longer post just for you. :shobon:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

My Buell had a strange battery problem when I first got it. The battery was dead, so I charged it and it held for about a day before it was dead again. Then I charged it again and it held and has been fine for five months.

Then I got new tires, and one day I discover that the front tire has no air in it after not riding it for a few days. I fill it up and it has been holding pressure ever since. I think the case with that may have had something to do with the radical temperature changes we've been getting, like 30-60 degrees in a week.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Gnaghi posted:

My Buell had a strange battery problem when I first got it. The battery was dead, so I charged it and it held for about a day before it was dead again. Then I charged it again and it held and has been fine for five months.

Then I got new tires, and one day I discover that the front tire has no air in it after not riding it for a few days. I fill it up and it has been holding pressure ever since. I think the case with that may have had something to do with the radical temperature changes we've been getting, like 30-60 degrees in a week.

When you got new tires did you have them change the valve stems? The valve stems might be cracked. That's where my slow leak came from.

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome

Just traded in my 85 Kawasaki GPZ750 for something a little...different...
It looks redder in the pictures than in real life; it's actually a fairly bright orange. I took it for a short (2 mile) initiation ride today and I've never been on a bike with this kind of torque! It's an '06 Lighting XB12SS with about 3500 on the clock.

God drat, those things are fun as poo poo to ride. With the amount of torque they throw down, it's almost like they were MEANT to be on one wheel :)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Z3n posted:

It's hard to tell if the battery is good or not if you're not riding the bike regularly. If they've got it on a trickle charger, pull it off the charger, start the bike once or twice, maybe take it out for a spin, they could have missed that the battery was on it's way out.

I'd ask them nicely, and if their customer service is even halfway decent, they should replace/reimburse you for it.

It's also worth checking the charging system. When you install the new battery, get a multimeter, attach it to the battery, start the bike, and rev it up about 1/3rd of overall RPM. You should get roughly 14v, consistantly, with the bike at that RPM. If it's spiking up or is low, you've got some issue with the charging system.

The only reason I mention this is because sometimes people will end up with bikes that have charging systems that are burning out their batteries and they can't figure out why. If you just check it now, you'll know if the charging system is good and if you have any other work to do :)

Well I replaced the battery with one from Advance, and it's going great now. I rode to work and left it for 9 hours, and when I came out, it started fine - no problem whatsoever. I'll call the dealer tomorrow and see what they say; hopefully they will cut me a reimbursement, since I bought a battery today (the dealer was closed so I couldn't call today), and they're not exactly right next door. Overall though, I am ridiculously pleased with the bike. I got on the highway tonight coming home from work and the pickup from 35-75mph is insane even in top gear.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Doctor Zero posted:

When you got new tires did you have them change the valve stems? The valve stems might be cracked. That's where my slow leak came from.

Nope still the same, except minus the caps now (didn't notice until later).

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS
Stupid snow, just when I thought spring was here we get dumped on.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn42/N183CS/102_4299.jpg

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 26, 2009

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Z3n posted:

Measured after work today, 14.40v at 2500rpm. Thanks for the advice, as usual.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Measured after work today, 14.40v at 2500rpm. Thanks for the advice, as usual.

Awesome, sounds like you're good to go. Safe riding :)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

A better pic where you can see the color in natural light:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

twizzler
Feb 15, 2001
Does the Lightning have the same engine as the Ulysses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

twizzler posted:

Does the Lightning have the same engine as the Ulysses?

The Lightning XB12 does, yes.