Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
Listening to the Joel Mchale episode, what is the story about his friend Carl that he wont repeat on the air, but had said on loveline and got into trouble for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
I think his friend Carl was a big fan of the Stranger, which is where you cut off circulation to your hand until it goes numb and then you jerk off. It was either that or he'd actually hump the mattress itself.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
Holy crap, 2004-12-05 with Alanna Ubach is god drat excellent.

"MEET THE FUCKERS!" Oh, if only this recording wasn't censored.

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump
Joel McHale finally in. 1:15 of awesome.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!

ace_beef posted:

Listening to the Joel Mchale episode, what is the story about his friend Carl that he wont repeat on the air, but had said on loveline and got into trouble for.
Carl was the guy that would beat off by humping the insides of a beanbag chair. I remember Adam telling the story "anonymously" on Loveline and mentioning the guy was a school librarian.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Taima posted:

This episode illustrates one of my only problems with Adam, which is that he needs someone to tell him to shut the gently caress up when he talks about dumb technical poo poo for eleven hours. Drew always called him on it, which is one of the reasons why the duo worked so well.

I actually find most of it interesting, though he does have the gearhead problem of trying to talk over others to seem more knowledgeable. He does the same thing with construction. That said, the episode just illustrated to me that I really wanted to see him host Top Gear.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Wow Adam put some pictures of. One of the "studio" and it really is just two chairs in a room. Didn't really expect that.

\/ Yeah I know that, I still kind of expected them to be in like an office type room though.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 12, 2009

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump

Harminoff posted:

Wow Adam put some pictures of. One of the "studio" and it really is just two chairs in a room. Didn't really expect that.

He's been stating that every time, really, that it's just them chilling in his den or living room. Dr. Drew even mentioned that his kids were in the next room taking a nap.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
Oh, Sober House. I'm going to miss you.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

CaptainJuan posted:

I seriously think she's the female equivalent of DAG on the show. There's a 2005 episode with her where she starts singing over some of the ranchero music they play and it was hilarious.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

CaptainJuan posted:

I love her on the show. She's probably one of the greatest female guests the show had (many are boring and don't contribute). I'll always remember her fondly as Beakman's assistant.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
How much can one person talk about his kids and stuff for kids?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
What episode had Drew's daughter in it? It was the most adorable thing ever. Hilarious to hear Adam interacting with kids.

flatFat
Apr 30, 2006

k

jyrka posted:

How much can one person talk about his kids and stuff for kids?

I actually kind of enjoy hearing about it, as someone who never really listened to TACS but has heard him on Loveline endlessly making fun of Drew's parenting style. He always had a routine spiel for Drew; "you worry too much about your kids, you're going to give them eating disorders".

Fast-forward to the present day, and he's now admitting that he's going to give his own kids eating disorders because he's planning out things to worry over years in advance. He's planning out the two-week long lecture he's going to give them on zits, anticipating what to do if they're stagnating in life at 22 years old, etc. It's just amusing to hear him in this new role.

Doug Benson's pretty goddamn boring, though.

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump

flatFat posted:

I actually kind of enjoy hearing about it, as someone who never really listened to TACS but has heard him on Loveline endlessly making fun of Drew's parenting style. He always had a routine spiel for Drew; "you worry too much about your kids, you're going to give them eating disorders".

Fast-forward to the present day, and he's now admitting that he's going to give his own kids eating disorders because he's planning out things to worry over years in advance. He's planning out the two-week long lecture he's going to give them on zits, anticipating what to do if they're stagnating in life at 22 years old, etc. It's just amusing to hear him in this new role.

It's called being a good parent. Laissez faire is what Adam's parents pulled and he's not exactly great big fans of them. In Drew's case it was funny because rich semi-Jewish doctor worrying about his kids when he's proven time and time again to be a very big spazz over money. Like a walking stereotype, the poor guy.

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Judakel posted:

What episode had Drew's daughter in it? It was the most adorable thing ever. Hilarious to hear Adam interacting with kids.

1997-08-11. I can host it if you can't find it. Paulina talks reluctantly and Jordan's asleep in the other room.

edit: my version is only 27 minutes.

Malachi Constant fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 14, 2009

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

flatFat posted:

Doug Benson's pretty goddamn boring, though.

God, you're so right. That guy was a horrible, horrible guest. I had to switch to a DAG episode afterwards just to wake up.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
Doug Benson is usually a pretty funny guest. I think he was just having an off night and didn't have a lot to contribute to Ace's topics.

You should all check out Doug's "I Love Movies" podcast. He has some great guests like Patton Oswalt, Sarah Silverman, and Paul Scheer. Dana Gould was on it a couple months back. It's only once or twice a month, and it's only 30 minutes, but it's hilarious.

I really hope Adam takes Doug up on his invitation to be in I Love Movies.

Pyroblaze
Oct 25, 2004

Diatom.
Dr. Drew uses the word "profoundly" too much.

The Pantheon
Apr 25, 2008

Mmm.
Get Patton Oswalt on TACP, I fuckin' loved it whenever he was on LoveLine. He did some like.. "old-timey" voice that cracked me up bigtime.

Alexandr
Jan 27, 2001

by Tiny Fistpump

The Pantheon posted:

Get Patton Oswalt on TACP, I fuckin' loved it whenever he was on LoveLine. He did some like.. "old-timey" voice that cracked me up bigtime.

"Tell me about that, grampa Carolla!"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Alexandr posted:

It's called being a good parent. Laissez faire is what Adam's parents pulled and he's not exactly great big fans of them. In Drew's case it was funny because rich semi-Jewish doctor worrying about his kids when he's proven time and time again to be a very big spazz over money. Like a walking stereotype, the poor guy.

Drew really is a caricature of himself at times and I love him for it.

Gotta say though that that is not being a good parent at least not if your kids realize you're freaking out. The trick is for the kids to move out or whatever and suddenly realize you've been making GBS threads bricks for a couple decades.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

Taima posted:

This episode illustrates one of my only problems with Adam, which is that he needs someone to tell him to shut the gently caress up when he talks about dumb technical poo poo for eleven hours. Drew always called him on it, which is one of the reasons why the duo worked so well.

I actually enjoyed this podcast much more then I had expected to. As much as I love a good Ace rant, and Lord knows I do, he's such a good conversationalist that it was great to be able to eavesdrop on him talking about a subject I know nothing about.

Wouldn't fly on drive-time LA radio, but is definitely in the spirit of where I feel that he needs to bring the podcast to make it an ongoing success - talks with interesting people about what they do/did, without breaking for commericals or Tivo trivia.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

The Pantheon posted:

Unghhhh. This is perhaps the worst show I've listened to in so long - Unwritten Law - 2002 with Dr. Bruce.

gently caress Unwritten Law are the most obnoxious cunts I've ever heard. Also they're egging Adam on to bully Bruce. :( Sure Bruce is contrarian to the Nth degree, but fuuuuck Unwritten Law are stepping on every. single. line. Wade of Unwritten Law: I LOATHE YOU.
Surprisingly Unwritten Law are guests again on Jan 22nd, 2003. While not nearly as bad as the show I think you're talking of, I really want to punch them all in the face. I'm guessing Wade is the one that keeps starting his sentences with "check it out dude --."

Sometimes they do a lovely MTV band and it's really surprising how realistic the guys are. I'm thinking of a Queens of the Stone age episode where right at the beginning one of them drops a very dirty word on the radio: Payola. I can respect guys that acknowledge their fame is only a product of a corrupt industry, especially when they'll actually make jokes about it.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
Ah, poo poo, Adam and Norm Macdonald talking about "Coward of the County" is the best.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
This is kind of a last-minute emergency and it's probably too late for me to do anything, but I am expecting about 26 hours of driving this week and it would be GREAT to load up my Ipod with some classic (Adam Corolla) Loveline episodes to listen to during the drive.

Where can I go to find a good selection of these? I know LovelineArchive got taken down because the IP holders decided to "cancel" the permission they gave, so I have no idea where you go to acquire/pay for this stuff now. Someone mentioned ITunes, do you think I could find a handful of Adam's episodes on there? Or should I look elsewhere?

Again, is not a piracy post... I'm not asking for free episodes if episodes aren't supposed to be free. I'd buy them on Itunes if I have to.

\/\/\/\/ Much appreciated, what are some highlights / ones you would recommend if I only am able to do a few?

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 16, 2009

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have a bunch of my favorites uploaded here: http://www.grandfromage.net/SA/

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Aww crap, quote button intead of edit button, yet again. Sorry.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd say worst gas, Papa Roach tech trouble, and DAG's drugs as kid names are the top of that group.

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

just keep scrolling posted:

This is kind of a last-minute emergency and it's probably too late for me to do anything, but I am expecting about 26 hours of driving this week and it would be GREAT to load up my Ipod with some classic (Adam Corolla) Loveline episodes to listen to during the drive.

Where can I go to find a good selection of these? I know LovelineArchive got taken down because the IP holders decided to "cancel" the permission they gave, so I have no idea where you go to acquire/pay for this stuff now. Someone mentioned ITunes, do you think I could find a handful of Adam's episodes on there? Or should I look elsewhere?

Again, is not a piracy post... I'm not asking for free episodes if episodes aren't supposed to be free. I'd buy them on Itunes if I have to.

\/\/\/\/ Much appreciated, what are some highlights / ones you would recommend if I only am able to do a few?

Check your PM.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
I was going to therapy the summer DAG's contraceptives-as-black-kids'-names stuff happened. If I hadn't been tuning in to Loveline I probably wouldn't have gone to therapy, bought Drew's book, and gotten out of a rough relationship.

Good times, great oldies.

I've been spending a lot of the last few weeks listening to podcasts leaked during that "glitch" the night before TACS went off the air. That poo poo got me through a 12.5 hour shift at an Irish restaurant yesterday.

ChaosMonkey fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 16, 2009

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

ChaosMonkey posted:

Ah, poo poo, Adam and Norm Macdonald talking about "Coward of the County" is the best.

I feel this an underrated segment, nobody talks about how loving funny it is. It's easily a top 5 moment for me, including the Loveline years.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

Daryl DBD posted:

I feel this an underrated segment, nobody talks about how loving funny it is. It's easily a top 5 moment for me, including the Loveline years.

We're hella talking about it now, broseph.

I also heard the original segments where they revealed Norm's anal sex tale. That poo poo should be carved into diamonds and shot into space, along with Coward of the County.

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

ChaosMonkey posted:

We're hella talking about it now, broseph.

I also heard the original segments where they revealed Norm's anal sex tale. That poo poo should be carved into diamonds and shot into space, along with Coward of the County.

Wait until you hear Adam interview Kenny Rogers about all those songs.

"They took turns at Becky... there were three of them!"

Kenny told Adam that The Gatlin Boys actually went on tour with him and that there were indeed three. I'm still pissed Adam didn't bring up the interview results with Norm the next time he was on.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What's the Coward of the County?

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

Phone posted:

What's the Coward of the County?

It's this song Kenny Rogers sings about a horrible rape of this guy's girlfriend and in the song he doesn't have the balls to stand up to the rapists. Put to a nice little ditty! Apparently it was a radio hit at one point. The rapists in the songs are named as "The Gatlin Boys", and Norm and Adam thought that was funny because at the time there was a country group called The Gatlin Boys.

quote:

Evryone considered him the coward of the county.
Hed never stood one single time to prove the county wrong.
His mama named him tommy, the folks just called him yellow,
But something always told me they were reading tommy wrong.

He was only ten years old when his daddy died in prison.
I looked after tommy cause he was my brothers son.
I still recall the final words my brother said to tommy:
Son, my life is over, but yours is just begun.

Promise me, son, not to do the things Ive done.
Walk away from trouble if you can.
It wont mean youre weak if you turn the other cheek.
I hope youre old enough to understand:
Son, you dont have to fight to be a man.

Theres someone for evryone and tommys love was becky.
In her arms he didnt have to prove he was a man.
One day while he was workin the gatlin boys came callin.
They took turns at becky.... there was three of them!

Tommy opened up the door and saw his becky cryin.
The torn dress, the shattered look was more than he could stand.
He reached above the fireplace and took down his daddys picture.
As his tears fell on his daddys face, he heard these words again:

Promise me, son, not to do the things Ive done.
Walk away from trouble if you can.
It wont mean youre weak if you turn the other cheek.
I hope youre old enough to understand:
Son, you dont have to fight to be a man.

The gatlin boys just laughed at him when he walked into the barroom.
One of them got up and met him halfway cross the floor.
When tommy turned around they said, hey look! ol yellows leavin.
But you coulda heard a pin drop when tommy stopped and blocked the door.

Twenty years of crawlin was bottled up inside him.
He wasnt holdin nothin back; he let em have it all.
When tommy left the barroom not a gatlin boy was standin.
He said, this ones for becky, as he watched the last one fall.
And I heard him say,

I promised you, dad, not to do the things you done.
I walk away from trouble when I can.
Now please dont think Im weak, I didnt turn the other cheek,
And papa, I sure hope you understand:
Sometimes you gotta fight when youre a man.

Evryone considered him the coward of the county.

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.

Daryl DBD posted:

It's this song Kenny Rogers sings about a horrible rape of this guy's girlfriend and in the song he doesn't have the balls to stand up to the rapists. Put to a nice little ditty! Apparently it was a radio hit at one point. The rapists in the songs are named as "The Gatlin Boys", and Norm and Adam thought that was funny because at the time there was a country group called The Gatlin Boys.

but...in those lyrics he does stand up to them. In fact, it sounds like he killed them, or at least kicked their asses.

Any chance anyone knows where to find the Norm McDonald anal sex episode, or this Coward of the County episode?

Also, Adam's tortured "What the gently caress?! when Joel McHale asks if yams are a seperate vegetable from sweet potatoes is hilarious.

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear

Watommi posted:

but...in those lyrics he does stand up to them. In fact, it sounds like he killed them, or at least kicked their asses.

Any chance anyone knows where to find the Norm McDonald anal sex episode, or this Coward of the County episode?

Also, Adam's tortured "What the gently caress?! when Joel McHale asks if yams are a seperate vegetable from sweet potatoes is hilarious.

I think it was one of those things that started at them laughing at the fact that the subject matter is so gruesome, and then the thread kept getting pulled and they thought it was funny that in the song he initially doesn't do anything about it, etc., etc... I had forgotten that Tommy FINALLY does something about it.

They also thought this one was pretty funny:
Ruby

quote:

You've painted up your lips an rolled and curled your tinted hair.
Ruby are you contemplating going out somewhere?
The Shadow on the wall tells me the sun is going down -
Oh Ruby
Don't take your love to town

It wasn't me that started that old crazy asian war
But I was proud to go and do my patriotic chore
And yes, it's true that I'm not the man I used to be...
Oh Ruby I still need some company.

Its hard to love a man whose legs are bent and paralysed
And THE WANTS AND the needs of a woman your age, Ruby I realize,
But it won't be long i've heard them say until I'M not around
Oh Ruby

She's leavin' now 'cause I heard the slammin' of the door
The way I know I've heard it slam one hundred times before
And if I could move I'd get my gun and put her in the ground
Oh Ruby
Oh Ruby
God sakeS turn around

The riffing on both of these songs lyrics are some of the funniest moments ever.

I'll have both of these shows soon for people to listen to.

How Much Art fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 16, 2009

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008
I hope this is kosher:

http://rapidshare.com/files/209734085/Adam_Carolla_and_Norm_Macdonald_-_Coward_of_the_County.mp3.html

To tide folks over till Daryl gets his going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear
Here's the norm episode in question:
http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=mg180z0j5lc

Here's the episode about a week later where Adam brings Kenny Rogers on to ask him about the songs:
http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=mxpwn8h6o8d

edit: decided to listen to these both again... and dear lord is it funny... Kenny is a pretty funny guy

How Much Art fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 16, 2009

• Locked thread