Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Aery posted:

If you're on Ravelry, it's here http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/owls-2

If you're not, it's here http://needled.wordpress.com/designs/

Sorry for not linking up. Owls is a seriously fast knit. Chunky wool, 6.5mm needles a shaped waist and less than a week to finish- and I am a slow knitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Bad Mitten posted:

IIRC, Dream in Color doesn't have dye lots. What I would do is start a swatch with the end of your first ball then switch to the new ball halfway. If you can't tell where the join is, you are good. If you notice a difference, then alternate skeins for about 2 inches before using the new one. It would depend on the pattern, if you want to carry it along the edge or cut it and weave it in on every change.

Yes, that's what I thought! It looks like I am in fact gonna have to swatch, but I like your idea of alternating for a couple inches before switching... much less work than through the whole thing! Thanks for the help, Anne Whately and Bad Mitten! :)

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
Two new hats finished this weekend! I made the butterfly one in 1 day (it's a small size for my 2-year old niece, and I knit on it pretty steadily for a few hours). The yin yang one is for my husband, which is why it looks big. (I have normal cheekbones IRL)

Here's an in-progress shot of one that's actually finished at this point. The rest of it was knitted up in olive green.

I also made one with my band's logo on the front, but gave it to my drummer and didn't take a picture first. :( It's awesome, though. Red circular logo on a black background, with red skulls going all the way around.

Now that warmer weather is coming up, I need to start making something other than hats!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Those hats are cool! (Or warm, I hope. ;))

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
Not to post another stupid question, but does anyone have any reliable resources on how to learn to crochet?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Blue_monday posted:

Not to post another stupid question, but does anyone have any reliable resources on how to learn to crochet?
Hookers thread will help you: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2896097

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
Oh my god guys new KNITTY:

https://www.knitty.com

I've just added about ten things to my ravelry queue. Uh oh, I guess it's time to go yarn shopping! :haw:

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Oh, god....aeolian is so on my list now. Shipwreck shawl might be on there, too.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Molly Bloom posted:

Oh, god....aeolian is so on my list now. Shipwreck shawl might be on there, too.

I swore to myself I'd never knit another shawl after my last one took me two years to finish, but dang both of those are tempting...

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
I'm slowly trying to improve my knitting skills so I will eventually be able to knit something like those shawls.

I've always knit free style, never really paying attention to gauge, number of stitches, making patterns up as I go along.

I have started on small projects with keeping track of exactly how the pattern is supposed to go, and so far I am doing pretty well with it. ("Feather and Fan" scarf from http://www.knittersreview.com/article_how_to.asp?article=/review/profile/020704_a.asp)

After that I plan on trying http://stashamassed.com/pdfs/MeadScarf2.pdf

I am also going to try to make up some hat patterns which is what I've always done, but this time i'm going to write them down.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Micomicona posted:

I swore to myself I'd never knit another shawl after my last one took me two years to finish, but dang both of those are tempting...

I know exactly what you mean. I've got several shawls in various stages of 'wreck', two in Kidsilk haze. I recently just said 'gently caress it' to the border on the Snowdrop shawl (Yarn Harlot) just to get the loving thing done.

I also want to do a wedding ring shawl in gossamer weight.

edit: oh jesus gently caress, I went to block it and heard 'twang'. Now there's a huge goddamn hole in it. I'm just throwing it the gently caress out. I cannot do this again.

Molly Bloom fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 13, 2009

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I wish knitty would do another "small gifts" issue. I always love looking at their patterns, but I really don't knit shawls, sweaters, or socks. :smith:

But a bird from the mobile is perfect for my Mom's birthday, so that's something.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Molly Bloom posted:

edit: oh jesus gently caress, I went to block it and heard 'twang'. Now there's a huge goddamn hole in it. I'm just throwing it the gently caress out. I cannot do this again.

aaaaAAAAAUUUGH!!!

oh my god, your post made me physically cringe. I'm really bad at blocking because I am terrified of this very thing.

This is why socks are good! Just get em wet, put em on, and kick back with your feet up for a while!

Micomicona fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 14, 2009

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
I'm bored and don't know what to knit next, so I'm coming to you guys. A friend gave me 185yrds of Lion Brand Homespun in a sort of blue green, and I have no idea what to do with it. Any ideas?

I just finished up a hat for myself, it turned out pretty well. The pattern was super easy, except I had to keep track of how many rows I did of what which is hard on my brain at times.

Asstro Van fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 6, 2012

yuk_mistress
May 11, 2007

Pickle Pie posted:

I had to keep track of how many rows I did of what which is hard on my brain at times.

Let me be your savior! pick up one of these

I got mine at Michaels for about $7.00 or you can just order it here:
http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Tools-Kacha_Kacha_Row_Counter_336-545.html
They are right it does make a satisfying clicking sound. The only downside is that it only counts to 99. On the plus side, it's easy to remember which side of 100 you are on. If not you can get one of those hardcore clicker counters

LESS THAN THREE DOLLARS AT AMAZON!!
http://www.amazon.com/Counter-Hand-Held-Finger-Clicker-Counters/dp/B001KWW4O2

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

Pickle Pie posted:

The pattern was super easy, except I had to keep track of how many rows I did of what which is hard on my brain at times.

I just keep a sticky note and a pen with my knitting and write down where I am in the pattern after every row. I can't keep any number past two in my head. Numbers and I do not get along.

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

Where is my motherfucking HAT

Molly Bloom posted:

Sorry for not linking up. Owls is a seriously fast knit. Chunky wool, 6.5mm needles a shaped waist and less than a week to finish- and I am a slow knitter.

I love it and will be making myself one after I finish this sweater I am test knitting. Even though we are probably well out of sweater weather here in CO already!

RubySprinkles
Jul 8, 2008

yuk_mistress posted:

Let me be your savior! pick up one of these

I got mine at Michaels for about $7.00 or you can just order it here:
http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/Tools-Kacha_Kacha_Row_Counter_336-545.html
They are right it does make a satisfying clicking sound. The only downside is that it only counts to 99. On the plus side, it's easy to remember which side of 100 you are on. If not you can get one of those hardcore clicker counters

LESS THAN THREE DOLLARS AT AMAZON!!
http://www.amazon.com/Counter-Hand-Held-Finger-Clicker-Counters/dp/B001KWW4O2

I have the Clover "clicker" and I love it! For anything over 100 rows, I just start making tick marks per 100 rows to keep my place on a scrap of paper. I highly recommend the Clover row counter.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Following the shawl incident, I have prepared everything for my first steek tomorrow.

I may die.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Molly Bloom posted:

Following the shawl incident, I have prepared everything for my first steek tomorrow.

I may die.

I actually had to google "steek".

:gonk: I'm so sorry.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

Molly Bloom posted:

I may die.

I haven't tried steeking yet. I have half knit a scarf that will eventually need to be steeked but I put it away because the Harrisville felt like brillo. You must post a trip report on steeking. For science and knitting.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008
Ok, sharing time! Forgive the crappy photos.

I call these "Static Mittens." The pattern was just a simple two-needle mitten pattern I found on Rav.

A neckwarmer I made from Malabrigo and some vintage buttons.

My Dalek. He ended up a little wonky, but I'm pretty happy considering. I took some artistic license with the color scheme.

I need to take better shots of some of my newer finished objects. The first two were made months ago.

e: I suck at pictures.

Aardvarklet fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 20, 2009

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Aardvarklet, could you link me the pattern for the mittens? They look great with that yarn! :)

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Bad Mitten posted:

I haven't tried steeking yet. I have half knit a scarf that will eventually need to be steeked but I put it away because the Harrisville felt like brillo. You must post a trip report on steeking. For science and knitting.

I don't have step by step pictures as I was too freaking rattled. But Eunny Jang has pictorial directions on each of the steeking methods. I sewed and crochet reinforced, as my wool was really smooth (baby cardi)- brillo wool is likely easier.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

Midnight Sun posted:

Aardvarklet, could you link me the pattern for the mittens? They look great with that yarn! :)

Sure! And thanks. This is the direct link to the pattern, not the Rav link.

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/the-mitts.html

The yarn I used was Filtes King Flash. It was kind of weird and scratchy, but the end result was cool. I recommend using a bulky yarn or doubling your worsted (as the pattern suggests). It makes them much thicker and warmer.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Aardvarklet posted:

Sure! And thanks. This is the direct link to the pattern, not the Rav link.

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/the-mitts.html

The yarn I used was Filtes King Flash. It was kind of weird and scratchy, but the end result was cool. I recommend using a bulky yarn or doubling your worsted (as the pattern suggests). It makes them much thicker and warmer.
Thank you! I have some Drops Eskimo that would suit this pattern, I think. :)

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Sorry for the blurry, but here's a crap picture of my steeked project

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

and again from my poo poo camera, here's where the flaps get sewn down on the inside. The front and sleeves are steeked, the bottom of the body and sleeves are hemmed.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
Nice work, Molly Bloom - looks fantastic. Steeking is scary to me, but I really like working Fair Isle in the round, so I'll probably be trying it sometime!

Here's something I whipped up on Saturday: the Hero of Canton, the (wo)man they call.... me

(I think this is the OPPOSITE of a Myspace angle)

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008
Molly Bloom, that turned out fantastic. Was steeking as scary as it sounds?

I'm dying to do a Fair Isle project.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
When my cousin Jennie announced her new baby was going to have an ocean theme I promised I'd make the kid an Octopus. I searched far and wide for a good pattern, but only one of them included suckers. Here is a very fuzzy picture of Jake's Octopus. I finished it about a week ago and the baby was born last Tuesday.

Click here for the full 712x533 image.

Here's the underside where you can see all of the suckers. And for the record the 'legs' aren't supposed to curve, but I think they look better doing that.

This is Little Jake, the owner of the Octopus.

e: Here's the pattern from etsy. Notice that my octopus looks almost nothing like it. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=19842343

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 29, 2009

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I finally nicked my camera lead back off my ex, so I can show you a bag I'm really proud of:

I'd never done colour work before, and at first I found it so hard carrying all those threads across the back, but luckily the space invaders pattern I designed was spaced pretty well so I didn't have to do much twisting and could just work the design. The back was an experiment in doing 3 ball stripes- 2 balls black, one green, where you pick up whatever ball meets you at the end of the row you finish. The strap is made in seed stitch because I didn't want it to stretch too much.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

madlilnerd posted:

I finally nicked my camera lead back off my ex, so I can show you a bag I'm really proud of:

I'd never done colour work before, and at first I found it so hard carrying all those threads across the back, but luckily the space invaders pattern I designed was spaced pretty well so I didn't have to do much twisting and could just work the design. The back was an experiment in doing 3 ball stripes- 2 balls black, one green, where you pick up whatever ball meets you at the end of the row you finish. The strap is made in seed stitch because I didn't want it to stretch too much.
Wow, that's impressive! And the bag is so cute! :3:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I don't know if this is kosher, and if it's not I'll edit it but I figure I'll let you guys know I'm selling off my knitting books in SA-Mart:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3129599

Now with cheaper prices!

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 10, 2009

stars
Jun 11, 2008

Aardvarklet posted:

My Dalek. He ended up a little wonky, but I'm pretty happy considering. I took some artistic license with the color scheme.

I need to take better shots of some of my newer finished objects. The first two were made months ago.

e: I suck at pictures.

This is wonderful. Any pattern?

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

stars posted:

This is wonderful. Any pattern?

Thanks, and here it is:

http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/who/extermaknit.html

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Hi all, I need help reading a pattern. I'm making my first pair of socks, and I'm using the knitpicks pattern found here.

The part I'm confused about is the heel flap. The flap is knitted on needle A, with an uneven number of stitches (as per heel flap setup). But the heel flap itself calls for what looks like a linen stitch? I end up picking up the same stitches from the first row of the pattern, so it bunches up, which I know is not what it means to do.

I'm confused mostly because when I started the heel flap, I was on WS, but the flap pattern starts on RS. There's no other Needle A here, so how can I even start on RS when the pattern always puts me on WS? I knitted the tube of the sock in stockinette, but I was knitting, so the RS is always inside. Did I gently caress it all up? Socks are hard. :(

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit

madlilnerd posted:

Wow, this is amazing.

I've never done fair isle knitting but when I finally get the courage to learn, I'm dying to try this.

How long did it take you to knit it?

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Lackadaisical posted:

Wow, this is amazing.

I've never done fair isle knitting but when I finally get the courage to learn, I'm dying to try this.

How long did it take you to knit it?

The actual front didn't take very long (maybe 4 hours?) because it was only 45 stitches across. I keep meaning to upload the pattern so other geeks can have a go but it was on my ex's computer and I don't have excel on this one. I can transcribe it onto a normal grid in paint from my scrappy piece of paper but it might look squished as knitters graph paper is slightly distorted.

Done: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a232/madlilnerd/spaceinvaderpattern.png

The mothership obviously isn't that close to the aliens so leave a gap- I left 8 rows between them. If you do this in standard DK wool then each the top aliens measure in at about 3cm x 3cm.

And don't be afraid of fair isle! This was my first time doing proper colour work and twisting all the threads behind. This isn't true fair isle though because there are blocks of colour bigger than four stitches, so you have to twist in the middle of some of the aliens in rows where they don't have eyes.

I would love to see this as a jumper (sorry, SWEATER. Eww, I don't like a garment name which preludes to perspiration). When I come back from my mini gap year, I'm hoping to start to sell unusual baby knits on the internet (maybe via SA mart or Etsy) so at the moment I'm trying out lots of patterns.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Here's a webpage that can make patterns out of images: http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knittedsister
Mar 16, 2007
One Stitch at a Time

teknicolor posted:

Hi all, I need help reading a pattern. I'm making my first pair of socks, and I'm using the knitpicks pattern found here.

The part I'm confused about is the heel flap. The flap is knitted on needle A, with an uneven number of stitches (as per heel flap setup). But the heel flap itself calls for what looks like a linen stitch? I end up picking up the same stitches from the first row of the pattern, so it bunches up, which I know is not what it means to do.

I'm confused mostly because when I started the heel flap, I was on WS, but the flap pattern starts on RS. There's no other Needle A here, so how can I even start on RS when the pattern always puts me on WS? I knitted the tube of the sock in stockinette, but I was knitting, so the RS is always inside. Did I gently caress it all up? Socks are hard. :(

Are you still knitting in a circle? When you start the heel flap, you go back and forth on about 1/2 of the stitches. So you knit across the RS, turn, and purl across the WS.

The heel flap is done by slipping every other stitch on the RS, then just purling across on the WS. This causes the heel to bunch up a tiny bit, making it thicker. You can just knit across your heel flap to get to whichever side it starts on.

Or, you could just knit your heel flap in stockinette if that helps.

Another thing: if you are working on 4 or 5 needles, is your RS on the inside? Usually people knit with the RS on the outside, so directions can be confusing if you're not. I always used to knit mine inside out because the needles were more comfortable that way. Now I use 2 circulars so it's not an issue.

I hope this helps. If you're still wondering, later on I can draw some silly pictures to help with the visual.