Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Rkelly posted:

Good video part two should be out soonish.

William H makes awesome videos but hasn't had an update in ages, why have I missed this?

Also, look what I found!

but wait, there's more. What would happen if we scan this to a PDF file and then upload it? :v:

Even though the book is out of print, demands stupid prices on eBay, is completely useless without an FM synth and written for a target audience so small that it's no longer funny, I don't want to run the risk of :filez: here so take a really good look at the picture below.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Yoozer - only just got onto the pack you put up the other day, thank you!
Might have to get onto that later this week, i'm loving FM8 at the moment but I could do with brushing up and making sure i've not missed anything while reading the manual, that seems quite a bit heavier.

In other news, i've got another track finished :)
Been working on this one for a couple of weeks now, it's some fat techno. Feedback most appreciated!

edit: er, the mix may be a little off. Sounds weird on a relisten, i'll have a look at that tonight.
Feel free to critique the track itself though!

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Mar 11, 2009

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

In other news, i've got another track finished :)
Been working on this one for a couple of weeks now, it's some fat techno. Feedback most appreciated!

edit: er, the mix may be a little off. Sounds weird on a relisten, i'll have a look at that tonight.
Feel free to critique the track itself though!
Yeah, the mix is all over the place, clipping a whole lot and so much sub-bass. I really like that tortured gummi synth... miirrrr... miirrrr... Fix the mixing though, it's hard to tell what it's supposed to sound like.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I know why now - I put a limiter on it early on, turned it off to mix it better, then turned it back on to export it because I was distraceted and on the phone...

Should be fairly simple to fix, i'll upload it again later tonight.

The sub bass is intentional though, I like deep walls of sound. You think it's the clipping that makes it sound bad, or should I tone it down anyway?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Hard to tell from the clipped mp3, let's hear it clean first :)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I just listened to it from the tindeck site - the volume controls on the player are hosed, if you touch them it ramps up the gain and clips the gently caress out of it. It doesnt clip anywhere near that bad on the downloaded version.
Did you download or stream it? I think it's not too bad if you leave the tindeck volume under half, but it still sounds different to when I play the mp3 in windows media player.
VLC does the gain thing when you turn it up too, weird.

Its still got my sketchy limiter use on so it's fair enough if you downloaded the track as it does clip a tiny bit, but there is a huge difference in how noticable it is in the player, I can hardly make out any sounds and i'm curious which one you commented on (dont worry, I still plan to fix it)
I've just had someone mention that it's a complete mess and you cant make out any sounds and i'm sat here thinking it's nowhere near that bad. Turns out they just decided to turn the volume in the tindeck player right up first.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 11, 2009

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Oh, that's definitely different when I play the downloaded mp3 instead of streaming it. I'm still really digging that straining, tortured gummi synth. Maybe your hats could be a tiny bit more prominent. The bass is pretty dominant, you could try a really steep highpass around 45-50hz, see if that sounds better or not. That sawy synth that comes in later is playing a pattern that's a rhythmic counterpoint to your other basses/synths, I wonder what it would sound like if you changed it around a bit so it would reinforce the existing rhythms.. the track would probably not roll as much any more (you've got a good groove going there), but maybe it could gain some more character like that. Anyway, I'm feeling this.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm so glad it was the player and not my ears suddenly breaking, haha.

I know what you mean on the hats - the sample doesnt sound very good much louder though, haha. I'll have another look at that, maybe layer it up and stop being so lazy.
Dont see the harm in switching the groove up for a little if I can make it fit, i'll have a play of that later and try the bass cut too.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

How do I make one of those wobbly dub bass sounds? Using logic if that matters

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

OK looks like I make it with an LFO assigned to a certain rate, that governs another cutoff parameter? I'm not really sure how this works but it sounds pretty close.. so I can have two different cutoffs?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

A MIRACLE posted:

OK looks like I make it with an LFO assigned to a certain rate, that governs another cutoff parameter? I'm not really sure how this works but it sounds pretty close.. so I can have two different cutoffs?

LFO assigned to cutoff, automate the LFO rate for different speeds. Usually use a second bass that is basically almost all sub to get that fat low end as well.

Cynicide
Jun 13, 2002

Born from a wish
I'm having some troubles at the moment. I started life out on the Yamaha DX7 and while it was tough I got through it after a lot of reading. More recently I got my hands on a Korg M1 and a Korg Karma, from what I understand they both use pcm based synthesis where you start out with a pcm waveform like a piano or a flute, you then use the usual array of filters and effects to change the sound.

The problem I'm having is that I'm finding it difficult to work with this kind of synthesis, it's almost overwhelming the amount of parameters you can change. Does anyone have any tricks on how to get started with pcm based synthesis, it sounds really funny but I'm getting more joy out of my Korg DS-10 on the Nintendo DS at the moment because it's so limited.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Stux posted:

LFO assigned to cutoff, automate the LFO rate for different speeds. Usually use a second bass that is basically almost all sub to get that fat low end as well.

I figured out the second bass thing too.. thanks.. this is really cool! My song sounds like a Skream song now haha. I'll post it l8r..

Jzf_K
Sep 1, 2002
JS
Could use some mixing advice on this one since I mixed it on headphones:

http://idisk.me.com/jkrivoshein/Public/Almost.mp3

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
More often than not, I have a vanilla bass sound layered over the main bass sound, that's pretty much all sub. It doesn't sound like anything except rumble, but it works great when layered.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

I figured out the second bass thing too.. thanks.. this is really cool! My song sounds like a Skream song now haha. I'll post it l8r..
Don't forget a little to moderate amount of resonance on the low pass.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Cynicide posted:

I'm having some troubles at the moment. I started life out on the Yamaha DX7 and while it was tough I got through it after a lot of reading.
This is the first time I've heard that story in reverse. :v:

quote:

The problem I'm having is that I'm finding it difficult to work with this kind of synthesis, it's almost overwhelming the amount of parameters you can change.
The M1 doesn't even have decent resonant filters, go figure.

quote:

Does anyone have any tricks on how to get started with pcm based synthesis, it sounds really funny but I'm getting more joy out of my Korg DS-10 on the Nintendo DS at the moment because it's so limited.

You get more fun out of it because the DS10 doesn't hide anything, the DX7 won't hide every single thing knee-deep in a menu - you have a wide, shallow menu using the 32 membrane buttons. Both M1 and Karma have narrow, deep menus.

The form of synthesis isn't difficult per se. It's that they divide each parameter up in several screens what makes it a pain. You start with 2 oscillators that each can trigger a different sound with sufficient velocity (double mode). These each have a filter of their own (in case of the Karma, a resonant one). There's envelopes for pitch, filter and volume, and assignable LFOs for pitch, filter and volume. Instead of components that actually interact, rather compare the setup with algorithm 3 of the DX7 - 2 reasonably complex stacks that are mixed in the end.

If all else fails; just get an editor for it, like http://www.soundtower.com/synth/korg/karma/karma_faq.htm . For the M1 you might even have to resort to Atari/DOS emulators because of its age - or get http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KLCDE which is a lot easier and just as good.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 12, 2009

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 8, 2014

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

colonp posted:

I take it no DAWs support multitouch yet? What about Max/PD?

Live supports multitouch through the OS, but just for things like scrolling. I'd imagine any DAW does for that, though.

Isn't multitouch controlled by the OS anyway?

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Just get a lemur, a touchscreen laptop wont really offer much benifit over a mouse driven one. Functionality will be pretty much the same, compared to a 10-input at once touch screen midi controller you can program your own interfaces and expressions on. Yes you will spend more but that is how we get better things.

Theres nothing i'd take over a lemur, they're incredible bits of kit.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can the Digi 002 whateverthefuck be used as a control surface/interface with Ableton Live (provided the drivers are there for the OS)? Does it work as a standard MIDI controller?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
It says in the description that it comes with Ableton Live, Digidesign edition (which is probably the same as any other "branded" Live edition you get with M-Audio and Behringer stuff), so I'd assume so. The track labels might be missing though.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

New track! Please critique.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Is there a guide somewhere to making good drum tracks?

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
i tried the gladiator demo. Boy was I dumb. I am now poor. Anyone have any cool tips or cool ideas about am fm and hcm synthesis and how you use them together when you can't enter specific numbers for fm operation? I have been loving around on gladiator all day, and I can say that I have about 15 loving stupendous patches I have made from scratch. Easily, the best synth I have ever used on the computer. I say this as someone with experience in zeta, all the refx stuff, zebra, sylenth, all the Ni stuff, and all the arturia stuff. Tone 2 gladiator destroys for me personally and sits in a track awesomely.

So anyone have any resources on hcm synthesis?

www.tone2.com/html/___gladiator.html

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 15, 2009

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

This is very much like walking into a car dealership and asking for a means of transport, while you don't say whether you need to haul drywall, transport 6 screaming kids to the supermarket, or want to drive off-road at high speed.

It's nice that you ask important questions, but for goodness' sake, add detail. Add available budget. Add genre, or better, add artists, or better, particular songs and don't make us look 'm up on Youtube for you.

Define "good". Define what kind of drum tracks - both jungle and minimal techno have drum tracks, but they're obviously different.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

A MIRACLE posted:

Kick on each beat, snare on every other, hi-hat on the off.

Booya trance. I hope that's what you were referring to since you didn't specify.

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE

Kai was taken posted:

Kick on each beat, snare on every other, hi-hat on the off.

Booya trance. I hope that's what you were referring to since you didn't specify.

Claps are good too. I think it's hard to find a decent snare sample since VEC is all (mostly) compressed/limited samples from other sources.

SynthesizerKaiser fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 15, 2009

Synthosaurus
May 8, 2007
Been working on this track lately, and I thought I'd post it here to maybe get some feedback!

It's a pretty straightforward uplifting trance track, and I'm kinda happy with how it turned out so far. However, I'm kinda stuck with it right now, as i don't really know how to build more on it. First of all I'm not sure whether or not the melody is strong enough to last through the whole tune. Should i perhaps build it out a bit more? I've also been thinking of maybe adding another variation to the plucked melody in the background, although it might also be nice to keep it simple. Anyway, there is a link to the tune right under this text.

All comments and feedback appreciated! :)

http://adriz.nebula-x.net/adriz_-_new_tune_192.mp3

Selects
Oct 23, 2008

Wait. . .what?
The production on this track is pretty good. If you added more melody variation it would really make the track stand out more; it's sounding generic at this point. I like the break because it gets rid of the repetition, but I don't know if that's what you were going for or not. I definitely think the piano hits that come in as the second melodic element are boring and need at least octave changes, same goes for the delayed hits that come afterward.

I think you could get away with keeping the plucked melody the same throughout the song if you make changes to the other elements. The drums are produced well, I like the washy snare, the clap that comes in could be a bit louder, but that's just me.

Overall, you're on a good track, just try to make it more interesting, otherwise you just blend in to the anamorphic blob of trance tunes.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The production value is really good, although to me it sounds like a filler track you'd find in the middle of a DJ set.

The bass seems a little loose to me. I was expecting it to be tighter. It feels like it's just rumbling.

ShoodZ
Nov 20, 2002

Icept is my bitch
Im working on a gimmick track to play in 2 weeks. It's a running internal joke that us Danish people find halarious so please do not mind the vocals. Im only playing this once so I just need to know if I hosed up badly somewhere in the track and if it will sound poo poo on proper monitors.

Thanks

http://www.zshare.net/audio/57125462c569c20e/

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
This is seriously bothering me. How do I know when a drum sample is in key? Maybe I'm not listening properly, but I can't seem to tell a difference. What signs should I be looking for? Is there a program I can use or some sort of trick?

Furthermore, what's the best setting to use on FL Studio's sampler for repitching a kickdrum or other percussive element? "Resample" and "Tonal" seem to be winners. Anyone have something to say about this?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

This is seriously bothering me. How do I know when a drum sample is in key? Maybe I'm not listening properly, but I can't seem to tell a difference. What signs should I be looking for? Is there a program I can use or some sort of trick?

Transpose the sample 1 or 2 octaves up. Adding a distortion effect works too - when you get a gabber drum "boinggg" instead of the kick, you have it set right and can start guessing which note it is.

quote:

Furthermore, what's the best setting to use on FL Studio's sampler for repitching a kickdrum or other percussive element? "Resample" and "Tonal" seem to be winners. Anyone have something to say about this?

You don't resample or stretch them. You just transpose them up or down, and preferably minimally.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

colonp posted:

I'm thinking the next thing I need is speakers/monitors, as headphones are probably bad for mixing EDM, no? What should my budget be like to get a decent quality to price ratio? I'm thinking max ~800$ right now, but maybe that's too little, and I need to save up more.

Also my computer is currently in a corner (with no room for speakers anyway), so I guess I need to move it? Won't corners be sorta bad for acoustics? Any guides for that sorta thing?

Also also, should I get the monitors at a music shop or an audio shop? edit - actually, I'll probably buy used.. Dunno anything about monitors really, so maybe I should buy new? I should be able to hear any really noticable faults, but any finer nuances will be lost on me :/

I just bought KRK Rockit8's, for ~$320 CAD each, and they are absolutely ballin out of control for a home studio. There's no reason you can't get something reasonable with your budget. You will want to move your desk from the corner of your room, but you can manage as is. Good monitors should give a decent audio field diagram in the manual.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Remix I'm workin on of Blackalicious - Make You Feel That Way

kinda riding on deadmau5's style a bit much for my taste but nothing else I've tried has been working. Any opinions anyone?

• Locked thread