Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

mick6468 posted:

I had fiddled around with the INI file ...

Alright, I'll dick around with XP later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Chopper posted:

Just an FYI - your site has been flagged by Google (Diagnostic Page):

Thanks, looking into it now. Until then, stay away from that page and I've edited the picture down to a text link.

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!
Hi everyone! I have a very small request: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1233717782

Basically I need an app that plays a sound on a very low volume level every 10 seconds or so. This is because my computer is connected to one of those things that transmit your ipod music to any radio with a free frequency. I connected my computer to my home theater via this thing but it starts making a very loud interference noise after 20 seconds without any sound and I have to constantly mute it.

Is there any way to achieve this? I tried unsuccessfully with AutoHotKey.
Thanks!

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Cacahuate posted:

Hi everyone! I have a very small request: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1233717782

Basically I need an app that plays a sound on a very low volume level every 10 seconds or so. This is because my computer is connected to one of those things that transmit your ipod music to any radio with a free frequency. I connected my computer to my home theater via this thing but it starts making a very loud interference noise after 20 seconds without any sound and I have to constantly mute it.

Thanks!

Have you thought about recording a WAV file with 10 seconds of silence and one second of.. whatever? And then playing it on repeat at low volume?

Jeece
Feb 11, 2005
Request:1233759677

Looking for a web app. It can be done in HTML, PHP, Java or else (whichever is the most simple/fast/efficient), but it must work with various browsers on different platforms (especially Opera on OSX, Firefox on Vista).

Problem:
I have various online pictures folders that are regulary updated with new files. The pictures are all loose within the folders, no index.html file. When I want to get a picture link to share it, I browse the "Index of /Folder" list and get the names I need. Worked fine at first, but now there are too many files and I can't always remember which are which by the name alone. Creating/editing a gallery each time I add/remove a file would be time-consuming.

Solution:
So the "app" I need would be placed inside the pics directories and create a thumbnail gallery with whatever files are in the current folder. Clicking on a thumbnail links to the original. Not a must, but it would be nice to have the corresponding filename under the thumbnail too. Child folders support isn't needed.

Thumbnails size: reduce to about 150 pixels wide. If original is smaller than that, keep original size.

If the gallery can detect the browser screen width and fill it, fine. Else, don't make it wider than 1024 pixels.

Neutral gray background.

Thanks guys!

ozziegt
Jul 8, 2005

cool under pressure

Jeece posted:

There is a script out there called PhotoFrame which does what you want. Unfortunately it looks like it isn't being maintained anymore as their website is nonfunctional. I have a copy of the script, but I don't know how to get it to you.

e: You can get the source on SourceForge here.

ozziegt fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 4, 2009

Jeece
Feb 11, 2005
:buddy: Oh, thanks! I will check it out.

LunchMoney
Jul 13, 2004

genki posted:

Any udpate on an Access version? Or did it get superceded by life? ;)
Also, LunchMoney, I'm not sure you saw that a solution was posted, would be interested in basic usage report:
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/images/5/55/ClientTracker.zip
In retrospect, I most definitely could have done this in an easier way, but whatever...

I'd totally be interested in tackling this, but it probably wouldn't be tonight. Might do it anyhow though!

The project ended up turning towards more of a web based app so I was no longer helping develop anything and I kind of forgot about it :)

I have downloaded the app just to check it out and I like it. Thanks!

I doubt there is a need to add anymore features since I won't be using it but if I did use it I would ask for some kind of text file import/export of the employees and connections.

As far as basic usage it does toss out exception errors if you try and add people without creating a db and if you try and open the db you already have open. But nothing that straight out crashes it.

Also, when adding names to the db the "list" only shows the initial name field you fill in until you switch to the client list and then back. It was kind of confusing until I figured out the switching "fix."

Just to answer your question I have both Access 03 and 07 available for my use.

I hope it was a fun problem to solve! I am sorry that I won't actually need to use it.

This project was meant to manage a business Christmas card list so maybe someone else will find it handy.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Jeece posted:

Looking for a web app. It can be done in HTML, PHP, Java or else (whichever is the most simple/fast/efficient), but it must work with various browsers on different platforms (especially Opera on OSX, Firefox on Vista).

Problem:
I have various online pictures folders that are regulary updated with new files. The pictures are all loose within the folders, no index.html file. When I want to get a picture link to share it, I browse the "Index of /Folder" list and get the names I need. Worked fine at first, but now there are too many files and I can't always remember which are which by the name alone. Creating/editing a gallery each time I add/remove a file would be time-consuming.

Solution:
So the "app" I need would be placed inside the pics directories and create a thumbnail gallery with whatever files are in the current folder. Clicking on a thumbnail links to the original. Not a must, but it would be nice to have the corresponding filename under the thumbnail too. Child folders support isn't needed.

Thumbnails size: reduce to about 150 pixels wide. If original is smaller than that, keep original size.

If the gallery can detect the browser screen width and fill it, fine. Else, don't make it wider than 1024 pixels.

Neutral gray background.

Thanks guys!

You need to check out Jalbum ( http://jalbum.net/ ) 100s of templates, you can edit the templates pretty easily yourself, it automatically thumbnails photos and spits out gallery html ready to go. If you rerun the job after adding new folders it doesn't reprocess all the pics, just the new ones and the HTML files.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1233952423

Bash script that can be run via SSH to download files directly from Filefront. I would like the ability to run the script ./filefront followed by the url to the file I wish I grab. I had one a few years ago that used CURL to make this happen.

EXAMPLE:
code:
./filefront http://files.filefront.com/Unreal+Tournament+3+v13+Patch/;11485146;/fileinfo.html
Thanks in advance.

Balzac Jones
Dec 26, 2008
I hope this counts as tiny:

A plugin/extension/script/whatever-the-correct-term for Thunderbird that appends the subject header of every email, as it is received, to a text file.

Problem this would help solve: I work at an independent used book store, and we list books online. We list with four listing services (ABE, Alibris, Amazon, and Antiqbook, for the curious). We have about 14,000 books listed at any time. The listings are available to purchasers 24/7, due the magic of teh interwebs, but we are only open 12 hours a day, and we only have our internet sales department staffed 8 hours a day.

When a book is ordered on one listing website at 11 PM, there is currently nothing to prevent another customer from ordering the same book through another listing site at 1 AM. Obviously, we have to then cancel one of these two orders (or, in a few notable cases, three orders out of four for the same book), which makes neither the customer nor us happy.

There is currently no software solution on the market that can monitor and update listings placed on multiple services. However, we do immediately receive an email indicating that a book has sold, and all four services include our store's SKU# for the book in the email subject heading. I have already written a program to remove the listing for a SKU from all four websites, but I've become stuck on the step of getting the SKU out of Thunderbird.

A solution to this does not need to parse the SKU out of the subject heading, as my code will already do this. In fact, it should not parse the SKU, as we also receive product inquiries and status updates that contains SKUs as well. Skipping Thunderbird entirely and grabbing the info straight from POP3 would be just fine as well.

Bonus points for solutions that work for other major email programs as well, or for IMAP as well as POP3, as I would love to be able to give this to all the other online booksellers dealing with a similar problem (currently, it's just assumed by booksellers that lower customer satisfaction scores are a required trade-off for the wider exposure that comes from listing on multiple sites). For the same reason, additional bonus points for configurability and user-friendliness.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1234188706

Doctor Jokie
Mar 28, 2003

The guy can't even spell poker.

tofufish posted:

Im looking for a batch script that will copy all the files in a certain folder, including those in a sub folder to the parent directory. For example, I have a folder structure which is something like this:

TV
-ShowName1
--Season#1
---Epfolder1
----Ep1.avi
----Ep1.nfo
---Epfolder2
----Ep2.avi
----Ep2.nfo

I would like to copy all the files in Epfolder1, 2, 3, 4 etc into Season#1 (The parent directory)

It would be awesome if I could add this to the right click menu, so i can click on a folder an click 'Sort files' and itd be done.

Thanks!

I've got something very similar already written that I can share with you. However, the current code just takes the extension type as a parameter that you want to "flatten". For example, using your structure, it would only move the files that match the *.avi extension.

I can easily modify it to take all the files from the subdirectories if you wanted. When you say copy, do you mean that or do you want it as a move instead?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Balzac Jones posted:

I hope this counts as tiny:

A plugin/extension/script/whatever-the-correct-term for Thunderbird that appends the subject header of every email, as it is received, to a text file.

Problem this would help solve: I work at an independent used book store, and we list books online. We list with four listing services (ABE, Alibris, Amazon, and Antiqbook, for the curious). We have about 14,000 books listed at any time. The listings are available to purchasers 24/7, due the magic of teh interwebs, but we are only open 12 hours a day, and we only have our internet sales department staffed 8 hours a day.

When a book is ordered on one listing website at 11 PM, there is currently nothing to prevent another customer from ordering the same book through another listing site at 1 AM. Obviously, we have to then cancel one of these two orders (or, in a few notable cases, three orders out of four for the same book), which makes neither the customer nor us happy.

There is currently no software solution on the market that can monitor and update listings placed on multiple services. However, we do immediately receive an email indicating that a book has sold, and all four services include our store's SKU# for the book in the email subject heading. I have already written a program to remove the listing for a SKU from all four websites, but I've become stuck on the step of getting the SKU out of Thunderbird.

A solution to this does not need to parse the SKU out of the subject heading, as my code will already do this. In fact, it should not parse the SKU, as we also receive product inquiries and status updates that contains SKUs as well. Skipping Thunderbird entirely and grabbing the info straight from POP3 would be just fine as well.

Bonus points for solutions that work for other major email programs as well, or for IMAP as well as POP3, as I would love to be able to give this to all the other online booksellers dealing with a similar problem (currently, it's just assumed by booksellers that lower customer satisfaction scores are a required trade-off for the wider exposure that comes from listing on multiple sites). For the same reason, additional bonus points for configurability and user-friendliness.

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1234188706

Does it have to use Thunderbird? What if it just fetches the email direct from the server? If this is ok, then I imagine this could be coded in like 20 lines of code.

Balzac Jones
Dec 26, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Does it have to use Thunderbird? What if it just fetches the email direct from the server? If this is ok, then I imagine this could be coded in like 20 lines of code.

No, it does not have to use Thunderbird. Grabbing the email straight from a POP3 or IMAP server would fine, as long as it doesn't interfere with the email showing up as normal in Thunderbird as well. Our particular ISP uses POP3 for incoming email. A solution that runs in Windows XP/Vista would be vastly preferable to a Linux solution, though.

kamiikoneko
Oct 31, 2008

When we got done with her, her name was just "The Mary"...
Is there any convention in place for announcing that you are currently working on an app on here? I don't want to make something someone else is already 90% done making...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Balzac Jones posted:

No, it does not have to use Thunderbird. Grabbing the email straight from a POP3 or IMAP server would fine, as long as it doesn't interfere with the email showing up as normal in Thunderbird as well. Our particular ISP uses POP3 for incoming email. A solution that runs in Windows XP/Vista would be vastly preferable to a Linux solution, though.

I'll whip up something this evening or tomorrow.

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

kamiikoneko posted:

Is there any convention in place for announcing that you are currently working on an app on here? I don't want to make something someone else is already 90% done making...
Just quote the request and say you're working on it.

kamiikoneko
Oct 31, 2008

When we got done with her, her name was just "The Mary"...

BrianBoitano posted:

This article got me thinking about feedback loops. The author brings up the point that points and high scores help people better understand and alter their behavior in all things, not only games. This is part of the reason I've learned more Guitar Hero than any real instrument (I know, it's sad)

I'd like a feedback loop for productivity. Just something lightweight that tracks which window is in focus, and gives a pie chart of how much time has been spent on each window.

I've taken a couple of intro programming classes, but I have no idea how to program for Windows (.Net?). If somebody could point me to a kind of "get started" guide, I might try it myself, but if not, here's some pseudocode to make it more clear:

code:
dt=10 %refresh period, in seconds
While(1)
{
    if(afk==0)
    {
        focus=getfocus();
        times(focus)+=dt;
        total_time+=dt;
        graph(times)
    }
    afk=check_afk(); %check "AFK?" checkbox
    wait(dt); %wait before re-checking
}
You could get fancy with different graphing options (adjustable time periods, line graphs, etc), "tagging" windows as work/play related and keeping track of productivity that way, and the ability to lock certain windows until a certain percentage of productivity is achieved.

Thanks!

Yah, I may be able to do this, but I would have some questions as to requirements. You got a steam account or some easy way to communicate?

in the meantime i'll start working on the basics.

EDIT: my steam name is kamiikoneko, probably best way to snag me.

Howler
May 21, 2003

"Hey, free sandwich"
I asked if anything like this existed here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3077412

The problem with Burn to the Brim is that it re-arranges the files to fit the disc. I need the file structure to maintain the same hierarchy. Think about sound effect libraries - each disc has wave files in folders. If you copied all those discs to your HD, how would you get them back?

End result/interface would look something like this:

A dialog asking for the root folder.
A combo box to choose between moving and copying files (to delete original or not).
A folder size selection. Maybe have default disc sizes for CD, DVD, DVD-DL, but also allow custom sizes.
A Start button.
Optional/WishList: A preview button

TinyAppz Request: http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1234547859

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Howler posted:

I asked if anything like this existed here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3077412

The problem with Burn to the Brim is that it re-arranges the files to fit the disc. I need the file structure to maintain the same hierarchy. Think about sound effect libraries - each disc has wave files in folders. If you copied all those discs to your HD, how would you get them back?

A combo box to choose between moving and copying files (to delete original or not).
A folder size selection. Maybe have default disc sizes for CD, DVD, DVD-DL, but also allow custom sizes.
A Start button.

I second this request. Have been looking for years for something like this.

Lediur
Jul 16, 2007
The alternative to anything is nothing.
I've been looking for a decent batch extractor for a long time. Having to extract nested zips by hand gets really tedious.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

I'm looking for a Hello World done in Obj-C/Cocoa that implements a main window, a preferences window, and a couple of different GUI elements that do things when manipulated. (let's say a text input box, a list box, a combo box, a couple checkboxes, and some buttons.)

I'm trying to teach myself programming for OS X and failing miserably. Of course, part of that is because I haven't done GUI programming much at all, and even then it was in Visual C++ on windows and a buggy piece of poo poo to boot.

Sadly, I don't think my target audience would much like a console program.

Oh, and I don't need (or particularly want) a binary... source and XCode 3 project is fine.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Balzac Jones posted:

Here you go.

You'll need to install Python on the system you're running it on. (Link goes to Windows installer)

Just open test.py in a text editor and fill in your server, username, password, and the file where you want to store the subject lines.

I'd test it on another email account or something to be sure it's leaving the emails on there. I tested it on mine and it worked fine.

If I were you, I'd just set up a scheduled task in windows to run 'test.py' once a minute or something like that.

Balzac Jones
Dec 26, 2008
Excellent, and thanks so much. I'll give it a test tomorrow if I get a chance (Monday being an ugly shipping day). The fact that you did it in Python is a bonus, really. The code I'd been working on to parse the email subject headers and update the relevant websites was in Java, but I'd been seriously debating switching over to Python as an excuse to learn more of that language.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1234898279

Looking for a program that can monitor a folder for any new image files, then automatically convert them to jpeg and upload them to a web server. If you are so inclined, having it automatically generate a thumbnail and upload that as well would be pretty handy.

I just want this to make it easier to share screenshots from video games and movies with the internet so it's hardly an absolute necessity that I get it; it would just make it much quicker for me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Biggest Disaster posted:

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1234898279

Looking for a program that can monitor a folder for any new image files, then automatically convert them to jpeg and upload them to a web server. If you are so inclined, having it automatically generate a thumbnail and upload that as well would be pretty handy.

I just want this to make it easier to share screenshots from video games and movies with the internet so it's hardly an absolute necessity that I get it; it would just make it much quicker for me.

You mean a web server that you have FTP access to, or something else?

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Oh, yeah. Probably FTP would be the best.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Howler posted:

A Start button.

Request filled:
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/FitToBurn

Please let me know of any bugs or weirdness.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Biggest Disaster posted:

Oh, yeah. Probably FTP would be the best.

I'll do this this weekend. Or at least, I'll look into doing it. :p

Is this for Windows?

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

Thanks, that'd be pretty great :) . Yes it is for Windows.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

Cacahuate posted:

Thanks!
http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/SoundTickler

mick6468
Aug 29, 2007
http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1232515631

I posted this before but interest has died out on it. I'd like a small app for windows xp that can quickly change my default sound device from my speakers to my headphones, preferably something in the tasbar.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

mick6468 posted:

I posted this before but interest has died out on it. I'd like a small app for windows xp that can quickly change my default sound device from my speakers to my headphones, preferably something in the tasbar.

Someone already made this, its called sound switch look back in the thread a bit.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

mick6468 posted:

I forgot you were having problems with the one I coded. I'll look over it again. The problem is that I don't have an XP machine to test it on, but I may be able to work something out...

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I don't believe it was created here but was a thread on its own. It was essentially a note app that you would just add things to, and it auto-saved. Anyone remember this? I would really like to use it but can't remember the name :/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

mick6468 posted:

Ok, try this out and let me know how it works. Since I'm running XP in VirtualPC I don't actually have any way to get more than one sound device to switch between, so some of my code is guess-work.

Briefly, just edit the ini file with the positions of the two devices you want to switch between in the Playback section of the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties dialog box. Also, edit the hotkeys as described in the ini. After that it should switch between the two sources with a press of the hotkey.

This version should work on Vista and XP.

edit: I just fixed a bug, if you downloaded before now, just redownload.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 19, 2009

.DAT Azz
Jan 8, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I hope this isn't too big, but I'd like a small windows program that's constantly running in the background and after a certain period of time connects to a bunch of URLs to download an MDB (Microsoft Access) file and takes the data from user specified tables/fields and saves/appends them in one file in plain text in this sort of format:

20/02/09 12:00
Name: John Smith
Address1: 12 test street

Where the date/time is the date/time retrieved. It's also need to check for and exclude duplicates from the last MDB file so there's not duplicate entries in the text file. I'd also like it to be configurable through a plain text CFG file where I simply specify a list of the URLs of the MDBs, tables and fields. Time interval between checks also.

Optional: Systray icon that changes when a new record is found would be nice too, but not essential.

http://tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1235093890

EDIT: They're Access 2000 format if that helps.

.DAT Azz fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 20, 2009

thenewdeal
Mar 25, 2008
I'm not sure the complexity involved in this so if it's too much tell me to piss off. I'd like an app that would autodial an entire list of telephone extensions based on an excel spreadsheet column (or some sort of database table) and then record a simple call result (answer/no answer/busy). I can handle all the modem talky talky just need to figure out how to combine my list to the dial function. If it would export the results next to the #s well then that'd be the tits

I have the best taste in this whole damn place
If possible, I would like a (windows) program that grabs an image (jpg or gif) from a folder, and displays it in the app window; resized to fit the app's current size preferably. After a set amount of time, it shows the next image in the folder, like a flash card. Having the option to shuffle the images would be nice.

Have to be able to set it to always on top, and preferably with just a right-click menu, so you can't accidentally exit it. Possibility of locking the borders and anchor it into place would also be nice, but not vital.

Seems a bit demanding now after typing it out..

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1237288635

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Noia posted:

If possible, I would like a (windows) program that grabs an image (jpg or gif) from a folder, and displays it in the app window; resized to fit the app's current size preferably. After a set amount of time, it shows the next image in the folder, like a flash card. Having the option to shuffle the images would be nice.

Have to be able to set it to always on top, and preferably with just a right-click menu, so you can't accidentally exit it. Possibility of locking the borders and anchor it into place would also be nice, but not vital.

Seems a bit demanding now after typing it out..

http://www.tinyappz.com/wiki/Request:1237288635

Windows Picture Viewer wouldn't work for this??

• Locked thread