Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xpander
Sep 2, 2004

colonp posted:

Do they need power? I can get them from the UK for not much more than that, so that'd be pretty good I reckon. The UK has a different power plug system though.

They're horribly expensive here in denmark, about 1100 CAD for the set :( .. Also, it's these ones, right? Hmm, might settle for 6's, any experience with those? Could get those from Germany, I belive we have the same power plug system as they do.

By the way, I need a "full system" (ie. sub too if needed), as all I have right now are some old speakers for like my 2nd stereo ever.

Thank you!

Those are them, although the badging looks slightly different. Yes, they need power, they're active monitors. That price, though...outrageous! I feel for you, dude. :( The 6s will serve you just fine. I bought the 8s because frankly I was prepared to spend twice that on each monitor, so I still came out ahead.

When you say you need a sub too...what are you building? I'm pretty low on the engineering totem pole, but I wouldn't think you'd need a sub for home studio mixing. I got these monitors to be able to try and produce a fairly flat sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

mezzir posted:

Remix I'm workin on of Blackalicious - Make You Feel That Way

kinda riding on deadmau5's style a bit much for my taste but nothing else I've tried has been working. Any opinions anyone?

This is an incredible production. I don't know what the original sounds like, but this is balls-to-the-wall top notch. Who gives a poo poo what style it's in. This is in a league of its own.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
I need a definition on a couple of terms that I've seen floating around in electronic music writing. The first is "jacking." While I have an idea of what that kind of beat sounds like, I've heard the word used to describe anything from Mastiksoul - Run For Cover to Jesse Rose - Forget My Name to even Deadmau5 - Ghosts N Stuff. What exactly is someone referring to when they use that word?

Same goes for "ravey". This one I have absolutely no clue about, cause I hear it used to describe everything from techy tracks with only a piano chord and drums, to massive wobbly out of tune beasts, to trance-like emotional euphoria music. I'm lost!

Also, since my current computer is extremely low performance, I'm in the market for a Mac (I want to start using Logic). If I were to get a laptop, what would be the minimum suggested specs I could get away with? I want to save as much money as possible.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Altoidss posted:

I need a definition on a couple of terms that I've seen floating around in electronic music writing. The first is "jacking." While I have an idea of what that kind of beat sounds like, I've heard the word used to describe anything from Mastiksoul - Run For Cover to Jesse Rose - Forget My Name to even Deadmau5 - Ghosts N Stuff. What exactly is someone referring to when they use that word?

Same goes for "ravey". This one I have absolutely no clue about, cause I hear it used to describe everything from techy tracks with only a piano chord and drums, to massive wobbly out of tune beasts, to trance-like emotional euphoria music. I'm lost!

Jacking originated in the old Chicago house sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFuujExs03A

It's hard to put into words, it's just that particular combination of the bassline, rhythm and everything else that is just so unique to Chicago house. You know it when you hear it.

Rave to me is basically, well, the stuff they were playing at raves in the early 90's. Big gently caress-off hoovers and all that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZuuPVk8e9Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgEws2ljGQ0

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

colonp posted:

Hmm, might settle for 6's, any experience with those?
I have a pair of 6's and they are excellent. They're a bit light on bass and high on treble though, but that's something you can get used to when mixing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Altoidss posted:

Also, since my current computer is extremely low performance, I'm in the market for a Mac (I want to start using Logic). If I were to get a laptop, what would be the minimum suggested specs I could get away with? I want to save as much money as possible.

You don't have many options.

Any of them will be fine with Logic, although I'd at least get an aluminum one.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 8, 2014

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

mezzir posted:

kinda riding on deadmau5's style a bit much for my taste but nothing else I've tried has been working. Any opinions anyone?
i like it, but i think you gotta cut the horns harder or do SOMETHING to make it seem like more than just a blend. now it just seems like a dj trick and you're playing both songs at the same time. i REALLY like how the horns sound with your beat. nice and spacey, but i think the whole thing needs more of an edge.

that's a way general and unhelpful suggestion, i know, but i think if you sit on this for a day or two and come back to it, you'll be able to take it to that next level.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

ManoliIsFat posted:

i like it, but i think you gotta cut the horns harder or do SOMETHING to make it seem like more than just a blend. now it just seems like a dj trick and you're playing both songs at the same time. i REALLY like how the horns sound with your beat. nice and spacey, but i think the whole thing needs more of an edge.

that's a way general and unhelpful suggestion, i know, but i think if you sit on this for a day or two and come back to it, you'll be able to take it to that next level.

Hah thats like the exact thing I was hoping for, more specific maybe, but still. I like it so far, but its still just not quite there in some intangible way.

Anyone got any opinion on possibly taking it in a more deep direction, doing a deep house-y bassline and toning down the 1.8 notes?
Think that may be what i try next regardless. Those horns just make me want some real nice flowing relax and ever so slightly funky bassline.

Synthosaurus
May 8, 2007

Selects posted:

The production on this track is pretty good. If you added more melody variation it would really make the track stand out more; it's sounding generic at this point. I like the break because it gets rid of the repetition, but I don't know if that's what you were going for or not. I definitely think the piano hits that come in as the second melodic element are boring and need at least octave changes, same goes for the delayed hits that come afterward.

I think you could get away with keeping the plucked melody the same throughout the song if you make changes to the other elements. The drums are produced well, I like the washy snare, the clap that comes in could be a bit louder, but that's just me.

Overall, you're on a good track, just try to make it more interesting, otherwise you just blend in to the anamorphic blob of trance tunes.

Kai was taken posted:

The production value is really good, although to me it sounds like a filler track you'd find in the middle of a DJ set.

The bass seems a little loose to me. I was expecting it to be tighter. It feels like it's just rumbling.

I see what you mean, will definitely attempt to keep it varied and interesting throughout the whole track. Gonna try to tighten up the bass a bit too then, and perhaps take a better look at the overall mix to make it stand out more.

Thanks a lot for listening! :)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Can I get a physical drum machine suggestion <$250? I've been wanting to mess around with rhythm and make beats for a while. Doing it on the computer bores me.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
See if you can score a secondhand Akai XR20.

The issue with drum machines is that you're stuck with the built-in sounds, so if you get an older model you might miss out on some of the cooler newer stuff. The solution is a sampler; but for that price you'd be incredibly lucky to get an Electribe SX; rather consider an Electribe S, then.

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE

mezzir posted:

You're right, it is pretty mau5y. Good though. You could try creating a lounge-ish bass sound to replace your Deadmau5 sound, but I don't know how to do it. In particular I mean something like this or maybe this. I guess it's just a low pass filter on a square or pulse waveform? I didn't manage to figure it out though.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

How about........this:

Not sure if I like it or not

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
Click here to download miss u.mp3

workin on this track today

give me some feedback

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
All I'm missing is a return of the intro melody / break somewhere, for the rest I really like what you did with (what I assume was) transposing the samples down an octave. It sounds both crispy and pretty open.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

Yoozer posted:

All I'm missing is a return of the intro melody / break somewhere, for the rest I really like what you did with (what I assume was) transposing the samples down an octave. It sounds both crispy and pretty open.

you talkin to me?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Yes :). Sorry, should've quoted you.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
here is a newer version
http://tindeck.com/listen/ezkp

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I'm having an issue with Reason rewiring into Ableton. I decided to get all fancy for this song I came up with and I programmed 2 different drum patterns into Redrum. Is there some way to make Ableton switch between patterns 1 and 2 at certain times in my song or what is the best way to sequence both my Redrum loops into my Ableton? Should I just give up and record the actual sound output from Reason?

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
Just in case anyone is interested...

Sied van Riel briefly goes over the arrangements of his remix of Offer Nissim featuring Maya - For Your Love as well as his chilling production "Rush" in this video: http://www.youtube.com/user/siedvanriel

Check it out!

e: I'm looking for some quality samples of whales singing. I guess any whale will do, but I'm looking for a humpback's eerie call in particular. Anyone know where to look? Googling "whale song sample" and all its cousins hasn't lead me anywhere good. Maybe there's a "world music" sound sample library out there somewhere?

SynthesizerKaiser fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Mar 20, 2009

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Is there some way to make Ableton switch between patterns 1 and 2 at certain times in my song or what is the best way to sequence both my Redrum loops into my Ableton?

No.

quote:

Should I just give up and record the actual sound output from Reason?

Yes.

Save your Reason project in case you want to come back and edit later, but other than that, flatten that bitch.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

e: I'm looking for some quality samples of whales singing. I guess any whale will do, but I'm looking for a humpback's eerie call in particular. Anyone know where to look? Googling "whale song sample" and all its cousins hasn't lead me anywhere good. Maybe there's a "world music" sound sample library out there somewhere?

I found a nice whale song CD years ago that I think only cost $4. It was part of a budget environmental sounds series (I also got "Sounds of the Okefenokee Swamp", which is awesome). I'm sure there are a bunch of similar nature sounds albums, just make sure to look for one that doesn't have any lovely new age music on top of it.

Kai was taken posted:

Save your Reason project in case you want to come back and edit later, but other than that, flatten that bitch.

You can also export your Reason drum patterns as MIDI files which can be imported into Live clips. Though I don't know how well that would work if you're doing a bunch of crazy automation, and all in all it's probably more reliable and less labor intensive to bounce to audio (unless, say, you wanted to do something tricky with Live's MIDI effects).

h_double fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 20, 2009

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yoozer posted:

See if you can score a secondhand Akai XR20.

The issue with drum machines is that you're stuck with the built-in sounds, so if you get an older model you might miss out on some of the cooler newer stuff. The solution is a sampler; but for that price you'd be incredibly lucky to get an Electribe SX; rather consider an Electribe S, then.
Thanks, i'll look into an Akai. I'm not too concerned with the lack of many onboard sounds as long as they're good quality and usable. I'm definitely wanting something modern.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

Just in case anyone is interested...

Sied van Riel briefly goes over the arrangements of his remix of Offer Nissim featuring Maya - For Your Love as well as his chilling production "Rush" in this video: http://www.youtube.com/user/siedvanriel

Check it out!

i have a record called songs of the humpback whale. ill get some samples of it if you have some good samples to trade.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

mezzir posted:

How about........this:

Not sure if I like it or not

I love the hell out of this. It's a mix of house with trip-hop/hip-hop. I would say fix the levels because it seems sorta loud but that might just be tindecks flash player.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Tokit posted:

I love the hell out of this. It's a mix of house with trip-hop/hip-hop. I would say fix the levels because it seems sorta loud but that might just be tindecks flash player.

Yeah it might be a little but iirc if the volume on the tindeck player is over 50% you get some distortion / clipping. Newer version too, should be up later tonight.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

trill rear end posted:

here is a newer version
http://tindeck.com/listen/ezkp

Hey man this is real cool, reminds me of some old Bochum Welt stuff. Everything is just really in place, very solid mix overall, can't think of any problems really, nice work!

Self Important
Mar 1, 2008
Could someone recommend a good MIDI controller for a beginner?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Self Important posted:

Without a budget we can't recommend poo poo.

Self Important
Mar 1, 2008

Yoozer posted:

Without a budget we can't recommend poo poo.

$200 max

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Self Important posted:

$200 max

A Radium or an Oxygen8?

I'd spend an extra $50 and get an Axiom, though.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 8, 2014

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Self Important posted:

$200 max

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EMU7705

Self Important
Mar 1, 2008

colonp posted:

My axiom25 is a bit too large for what it does :[ .. Other than that, I like it. Quite a few options, nice display, both of which my friend's ucontrol keyrig (IIRC) doesn't have.

I might try to sell it and get an axiom49 in the future. 25 is like 1 octave too little, and the faders on the 49 would be nice too.

i had read a lot of things about the axiom 25 but it seemed on the small side to me. I'm planning on simultaneously learning some music theory and finding my way around a keyboard while I practice making music.

This is more along the lines of what I'm looking for. Thank you all for your suggestions!

Self Important fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 22, 2009

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
I have some questions regarding mixing, chord progressions, and overall structure of dance music. These might be obvious and ridiculous questions, but here they are. (For reference, I make electro/progressive house in the style of my hero, Deadmau5.)

Structure Questions:

Do kick drums have a tone? As in, that kick is G#, etc. When I put a tuner plugin on the track it seems to indicate that there is indeed a discernible tone being generated, not noise. Is this perceivable by the human ear? Is it something I should worry about in terms of melody and, most importantly, bass line? The interaction between the kick and the bass is very important, and I want to get it right.

Are there any rules in terms of creating bass lines and melodies? I try to make them 8 bars long, but sometimes I make them two, four, or even one bar in duration. When this happens I try to combine them into an overall 8 bar structure with a crash or something at the end of the 8 bars to make sure it all wraps up. I've noticed that with this approach that the shorter the loop is the faster is gets boring/repetitive. Should I avoid shorter loops all together and focus on making longer, more complex melodies and bass lines?

On a guitar I know that I can't go wrong with a I-IV-V progression. It always sounds good. Is this applicable to electronic dance music? Creating strong and interesting melodies is my greatest weakness, in my opinion. Any help in this area is greatly appreciated.

Are most electronic dance music chord progressions/melodies major or minor? Does anyone have any advice in terms of general musical composition as applied to electro/progressive house? I'm taking community college theory classes this semester, but the class doesn't discuss actual applications of the things we've learned yet, at least not in any way I can apply to my dance music productions.

Production Questions:

When I go about creating bass tracks my methodology is thus: I synthesize what I mentally label as the "upper bass", which is above ~120Hz, and a "lower bass", which is below it. The lower bass is essentially a sine wave, slightly modified to give it a more interesting timbre. When they combine, the lower bass is more sub sounding and the upper bass is more audible. I sidechain them both to the kick so that they don't conflict with the kick. I seem to get good results with this approach, but it doesn't sound anywhere near the quality that I hear on other people's records. What am I doing wrong?

What is a maximizer? Is it just another name for a limiter? I'm using Live 7 and there doesn't seem to be a limiter native to Live, at least that I can readily find. I've been using the compressor with aggressive settings to act like a limiter. Is this acceptable? It doesn't seem to work very well. In fact, it seems to work very poorly. Are there any plugins that I can use in this application? If it's worth it I'll definitely shell out some $ for quality software.

Does anyone have any advice on EQing? Once I have the track arranged how I want it the next step I take it to try and EQ the individual tracks so that the mix is as clear as I can get it. Is this typical? I've had limited success with this approach. It's my understanding that the principle behind EQing is that you want to cut out frequencies on certain tracks in order to make room for the frequencies on other tracks, which would be boosted to stand out even more. Utilization of side chain compression in order to duck tracks at certain times seems to yield better results then EQing, which leads me to think that I'm EQing poorly or incorrectly.

I'm using the EQ Eight device in Live. When I view the signal with Spectrum it seems that the EQ Eight doesn't attenuate the signal very quickly, even at a 48dB attenuation setting. Is there a way to have the signal completely cut out at certain frequency ranges?

Spectrum seems to be visually deceiving to me. When the level meter is peaking out towards 0dB, Spectrum displays even the highest part of the visualization as coming in at less than that. Is this due to the fact that the level is the sum of all frequency ranges, and that when viewed in a graphical way it is simply displaying that highest level of the individual frequencies that comprise it?

I want my kicks to sound as full and lush as possible, but it seems like I have to utterly gut the frequencies above 120Hz in order to make room for the other tracks to come through. Is the solution to sidechain practically everything to the kick in order to deconflict them by time? (I'm hesitant to do this because of the effect it will have on the overall sound or the track. I think it sounds like it's "pumping" too much.) Or is it possible with very careful and precise EQing to allow all the tracks to come through without compromising the full sound of all of the component tracks?

Is there a multiband compressor native to Live? The compressor seems to only effect the entire track. Can anyone recommend me a nice multiband compressor that I can use to selectively sidechain and duck specific frequency ranges?

I love Ableton Live. I use it as a performance tool as well as a DAW, and I find the workflow to be smooth and utterly organic. The only thing I have to criticize about it is that it seems to lack precision tools for mixing/mastering. I'm fairly content with the sound design/arranging in my productions, but at the end of the whole process I feel that my tracks are too muddy. I want it to sound clean, clear, and professional. Could the solution be to arrange the tracks in Live, and then export all the tracks and then mix/master them in another DAW like Cubase or Logic? I'm interested in Cubase, and I intend to purchase it in the near future just to experiment with it in general.

Thank you for your time and effort in reading and answering my questions.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 23, 2009

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

I have some questions regarding mixing, chord progressions, and overall structure of dance music. These might be obvious and ridiculous questions, but here they are. (For reference, I make electro/progressive house in the style of my hero, Deadmau5.)

Structure Questions:

Do kick drums have a tone? As in, that kick is G#, etc. When I put a tuner plugin on the track it seems to indicate that there is indeed a discernible tone being generated, not noise. Is this perceivable by the human ear? Is it something I should worry about in terms of melody and, most importantly, bass line? The interaction between the kick and the bass is very important, and I want to get it right.
In short: yes. Bassdrums do have a dominant frequency, mostly around 50-60Hz for the kind of music you are making. You can find out which frequency this is with FFT analysis, most wave editors have a function like that (Soundforge, for example, has View > Spectrum Analysis). This web page will tell you what notes correspond to your kick's tune: http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html. You can choose to put your bassline in the same key. Be aware that this will increase the likelihood of kick and bass getting all up in each other's game, so you should duck the bass around the kick (or at least the low frequencies of the bass).

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Are there any rules in terms of creating bass lines and melodies? I try to make them 8 bars long, but sometimes I make them two, four, or even one bar in duration. When this happens I try to combine them into an overall 8 bar structure with a crash or something at the end of the 8 bars to make sure it all wraps up. I've noticed that with this approach that the shorter the loop is the faster is gets boring/repetitive. Should I avoid shorter loops all together and focus on making longer, more complex melodies and bass lines?
That depends completely on what your preferences are. Some people like really repetitive patterns, others don't. There are no fixed rules. Do what sounds good to you.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

On a guitar I know that I can't go wrong with a I-IV-V progression. It always sounds good. Is this applicable to electronic dance music? Creating strong and interesting melodies is my greatest weakness, in my opinion. Any help in this area is greatly appreciated.
Notes are notes, whether they are played on a guitar or a synth doesn't make a lot of difference in how they work together. If you want to know more about how music works, I can recommend the Ravenspiral Guide: http://www.scribd.com/doc/5220863/Ravenspiral-Guide-to-Music-Theory-06

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Are most electronic dance music chord progressions/melodies major or minor? Does anyone have any advice in terms of general musical composition as applied to electro/progressive house? I'm taking community college theory classes this semester, but the class doesn't discuss actual applications of the things we've learned yet, at least not in any way I can apply to my dance music productions.
Most modern music, I would contend, is written in minor. There is however no law mandating this so you are free to do whatever sounds good to you.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Production Questions:

When I go about creating bass tracks my methodology is thus: I synthesize what I mentally label as the "upper bass", which is above ~120Hz, and a "lower bass", which is below it. The lower bass is essentially a sine wave, slightly modified to give it a more interesting timbre. When they combine, the lower bass is more sub sounding and the upper bass is more audible. I sidechain them both to the kick so that they don't conflict with the kick. I seem to get good results with this approach, but it doesn't sound anywhere near the quality that I hear on other people's records. What am I doing wrong?
Impossible to tell without an audio sample.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

What is a maximizer? Is it just another name for a limiter? I'm using Live 7 and there doesn't seem to be a limiter native to Live, at least that I can readily find. I've been using the compressor with aggressive settings to act like a limiter. Is this acceptable? It doesn't seem to work very well. In fact, it seems to work very poorly. Are there any plugins that I can use in this application? If it's worth it I'll definitely shell out some $ for quality software.
A maximizer is indeed a limiter, and I've seen the following VSTs recommended: Voxengo Elephant, Waves L3 Ultramaximizer, Izotope Ozone.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Does anyone have any advice on EQing? Once I have the track arranged how I want it the next step I take it to try and EQ the individual tracks so that the mix is as clear as I can get it. Is this typical? I've had limited success with this approach. It's my understanding that the principle behind EQing is that you want to cut out frequencies on certain tracks in order to make room for the frequencies on other tracks, which would be boosted to stand out even more. Utilization of side chain compression in order to duck tracks at certain times seems to yield better results then EQing, which leads me to think that I'm EQing poorly or incorrectly.
EQ is a rather subtle effect when you're mixing. I personally prefer to EQ before I'm done with the song structure, but others do it the way you describe and get results as well. In the mixing stage, EQ should be used to resolve frequency conflicts like you write (be careful when boosting frequencies). Be aware though that it's not the only way to resolve these conflicts. Panning, for example, can be just as effective in separating two sounds that compete for the same space. You should identify where instruments clash (solo them) and then take the necessary steps to separate them. This isn't easy and it might take a while. Rely on your ears.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

I'm using the EQ Eight device in Live. When I view the signal with Spectrum it seems that the EQ Eight doesn't attenuate the signal very quickly, even at a 48dB attenuation setting. Is there a way to have the signal completely cut out at certain frequency ranges?
Notch filters.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

I want my kicks to sound as full and lush as possible, but it seems like I have to utterly gut the frequencies above 120Hz in order to make room for the other tracks to come through. Is the solution to sidechain practically everything to the kick in order to deconflict them by time? (I'm hesitant to do this because of the effect it will have on the overall sound or the track. I think it sounds like it's "pumping" too much.) Or is it possible with very careful and precise EQing to allow all the tracks to come through without compromising the full sound of all of the component tracks?
I'm not sure what you mean with full and lush, but if the kick is so dominant that it will drown out even the trebly instruments, you're doing something wrong.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

wayfinder posted:

Outstanding advice.
Thank you. All of this material is very illuminating. I need to go to class, but later I will refine my questions and post a few examples. Again, thank you.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

wayfinder posted:

In short: yes. Bassdrums do have a dominant frequency, mostly around 50-60Hz for the kind of music you are making. You can find out which frequency this is with FFT analysis, most wave editors have a function like that (Soundforge, for example, has View > Spectrum Analysis).
An easier trick; put distortion over it to the point where it becomes a gabber kick. The pitch of those is easier to hear, especially if you transpose 'm up 1 octave or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

Self Important posted:

I was going to get an Axiom but I heard the knobs on them are "zippery" so you can't get smooth filter sweeps on them as easily, and I wanted to be able to do faster stuff on it so the weighted keys weren't my first choice.

I ended up getting an E-MU Xboard 61, based on reviews that say the keybed feels just as solid as the expensive Novation controllers. After playing around on it for a while I have to agree. The keys feel comparable to my dad's Korg M1 or Roland D-50. The knobs and wheels are smooth and solid feeling, and the buttons are rubberized. No drum pads but if you're jonesing for it bad enough you can map them to keys instead.

$215 shipped from audiomidi.com

• Locked thread