Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Secret Ooze posted:

I just bought myself Dead Rising, and am kind of overwhelmed a little.

I just finished fighting Carlito in the food court, then was promptly overtaken by a gigantic crowd of zombies.

Any tips?

The most important thing to do: Have fun.

Seriously, unless you're supremely good at the game then you will lose a bunch of survivors, you will probably miss a few cases and generally wonder what the gently caress you're doing.

The game is designed around repeated playthroughs. If you gently caress something up, don't fret it, you can always play through again and you'll be stronger and know more about what to do.

For the first time through I'd suggest loving around and doing whatever case files/scoops you think might be interesting. Get to know where everything in the mall is, and if you do die then you can restart with all your experience etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narev
Oct 9, 2005

Something about FIR3 makes me wanna DANCE!
Neverwinter Nights 1

The best Familiar hands down is the pixie. She has all the rogue skills and will open chests and disarm traps for you, freeing you up to not lug the rogue around all the time.

Pursue a romance with the elf commander lady (It's been a while, her name escapes me) it will help you in the end. Just be a nice guy, listen to her problems, exhaust all her dialog trees, check back for something new. She will eventually give you something, hang on to it

Summon monsters are very helpful for wizards/sorcerers.

Ultima 7

This is cheating, but in the opening town, grab all the crates you can and make yourself a ladder onto the roof of (I think) the blacksmith's shop. You'll be put into a room with all the best items and every quest item in the game.

Go south once you can leave the first town and search around a little, you'll find a nice magic item hidden in a tree or something. Look for like a single pixel of magical sparkle.

East of Britain near the field with the spaceship (A reference to the Wing Commander series) you can bust into a shack and acquire a hoe with a red head. This is a sweet weapon.

There's a magic carpet you can get very early on, but it kind of breaks the game (You can literally skip 8/10 of it by flying into a certain compound you have to work half the game to gain access to.

Moving things around in someone else's container is considered stealing. Steal too much and some party members will leave for good and you can't get them back.

When you get to Britain, notice all the gold reserves guarded and locked up? Wait for the bank manager to leave at night. Follow her home, and kill her in her bed. Loot the keys from her body, then go loot the bank. Now drop her body in front of Lord British and ask for a rez. She'll go back to work like nothing happened, and exchange all those gold bars and nuggets for you!

On the pirate island there's a way to make infinite gold through gambling. It's something like 1 in 6 rats will win a race, and you put money on the number you like, but you get back more money from winning than it costs to cover all the numbers.

To translate the Gargoyle language you need to travel through a nasty dungeon. You can get to their town by moongate, but only in the dungeon will you find the gargoyle-english dictionary. It's in one of the last dungeon rooms. Moongate to the town and go in the back way!

That's all I can remember right now, I'm recalling crap from like 1990. Use the Exult engine to play the game, and don't neglect the expansion pack, I think you can get the ring of infinite reagents in there as well as a cool sword with a living demon bound to it. It's a jet black claymore.

Play U7:2 Serpent Isle. And that expansion pack. These two games, along with ultima 6 and the two spinoff games WERE my childhood. I'd sit and play with my dad in the basement on our wicked fast 486. That and the original Sid Meier's Pirates. Also look up a game called "Sword of the Samurai, it's free and runs in DosBox, but have a gamepad. I need to do a Let's Play on that game one of these days. A modern remake would rule SOOOO hard.

Those were the days...

My requests:
I have tried more times than I can count to play Baldur's Gate, I just can't seem to get into it, partly because I don't know the D&D rules pre v3.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Narev posted:

Also look up a game called "Sword of the Samurai, it's free and runs in DosBox, but have a gamepad. I need to do a Let's Play on that game one of these days. A modern remake would rule SOOOO hard.

Sword of the Samurai is definitely the goods, I'm surprised more people haven't heard of it. I'd :f5: the poo poo out of a Let's Play.

quote:

My requests:
I have tried more times than I can count to play Baldur's Gate, I just can't seem to get into it, partly because I don't know the D&D rules pre v3.

It pains me to say this, but forget Baldur's Gate, and start with Baldur's Gate 2. BG1 is definitely a good game, and ground-breaking for the time, but BG2 is just far superior in so many ways.

Quick AD&D rules primer (just the things you'll need):

Stats: Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma. 10 is average, 18 is the best starting score for a human. They're very "top-heavy": for most stats, 14 is no better than 10, 16 is only a little better, and 17 or 18 is where it starts getting really good. Feel free to "cheat" at character creation and top off your stats.
Armor Class: Your defence against physical attacks. Lower is better. 10 is the worst. Based off your armor, shield, any magic protective spells/equipment, and your Dexterity AC bonus.
THAC0: Your attack rating. The number you need to roll (on a 20-sided die) to hit a 0 Armor Class. Lower is better. 20 is the worst.
Saving Throws: Your non-physical defenses, against stuff like magic attacks, poison, and so on. You need to roll equal to or above your ST value on a 20-sided die. Lower is better.

Your party should include (at the minimum) a cleric, a wizard, a frontline fighter, and someone with thief skills. Most of these roles can be multiclassed if necessary (a cleric/mage is fine, for example.)

AD&D rules are MUCH more complicated than D&D 3rd Ed, but you don't need to know most of them.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Is the original release of MGS3 playable? As opposed to Subsistence's camera control improvements, that is.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
^^
I haven't played MGS3-subsistence. Only the original. I don't remember it being an issue.

pope_mabus posted:

I'm starting Shadow of the Colossus today. Any suggestions on on how to get the most out of this game?

Agro is a horse. Horses have brains. You don't have to steer him all the way. You don't have to beat him repeatedly ( :( ) to get him to run. Just hold the button down.

If you're completely-completely stuck look on GameFaqs for solutions.
Otherwise, for gently caress's sake. Don't. You'd be spoiling yourself on the whole feeling of "Holy poo poo! It rolled over! GO GO GO STAB STAB STAB".

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I'm replaying the original SNES Breath of Fire*, and it's charming, but has a Final Fantasy Mystic Quest level of simplicity. It has a few large areas and mazes to get lost in, so you wind up grinding your way into making uber characters.
I never noticed ZSNES having a speed menu option, letting you set the game to play at 15x speed at the press of a button on the gamepad. drat, these older RPGs are repetitive.

So, what's the best of the Breath of Fire series?

* while my Xbox and PS3 collect dust. WTF.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 10, 2009

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Coffee Jones posted:

I'm replaying the original SNES Breath of Fire*, and it's charming, but has a Final Fantasy Mystic Quest level of simplicity. It has a few large areas and mazes to get lost in, so you wind up grinding your way into making uber characters.
I never noticed ZSNES having a speed menu option, letting you set the game to play at 15x speed at the press of a button on the gamepad. drat, these older RPGs are repetitive.

* while my Xbox and PS3 collect dust. WTF.

I really like Dragon Quarter, but that might as well not be a Breath of Fire game.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Breath of Fire 3 is my favorite. But that game is looooooooong.

Pogo Stick Eagle
May 5, 2004

Strange, yet symbolically compelling.

Ashenai posted:

It pains me to say this, but forget Baldur's Gate, and start with Baldur's Gate 2. BG1 is definitely a good game, and ground-breaking for the time, but BG2 is just far superior in so many ways.

While that may be true, it's like skipping A New Hope and going straight to The Empire Strikes Back. You should definitely check out BG1, it offers some stuff which aren't available in BG2 (namely the exploration aspect) and bringing up a wimpy level 1 warrior from BG to the very ending of Throne of Bhaal as a level 40 god of war is by far the most satisfying experience I had with a computer game.

Exploring the Cloakwood and the city of Baldur's Gate and Durlag's Tower are experiences not to be missed.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Kleptomaniac posted:

While that may be true, it's like skipping A New Hope and going straight to The Empire Strikes Back. You should definitely check out BG1, it offers some stuff which aren't available in BG2 (namely the exploration aspect) and bringing up a wimpy level 1 warrior from BG to the very ending of Throne of Bhaal as a level 40 god of war is by far the most satisfying experience I had with a computer game.

Exploring the Cloakwood and the city of Baldur's Gate and Durlag's Tower are experiences not to be missed.

This is all true, but for every person who does this, there are ten who start with BG1 and get burned out or just give up in disgust before even half finishing it.

I also don't remember being eaten by wolves 10 minutes in every time I tried watching A New Hope, just sayin'

Also, level 1 AD&D characters (which are what you start with in BG1, and it'll be quite a while before you progress from there) are incredibly boring, worthless, and prone to dying. Hey awesome, a random goblin scored a random critical, guess it's time to Load Game again. BG2 starts you off at level 7, which is when your abilities actually start becoming interesting, and your characters start becoming a real force to be reckoned with.

In short: BG1 was groundbreaking when it came out, but aged pretty badly. By today's standards, it is a bad game. Awful design decisions, "oops you died again for no reason" gameplay, and the most glacial pace EVER. It should tell you something that one of the more popular mods involve hacking Boots of Speed for the entire party, simply so you won't want to kill yourself quite as badly during the insanely repetitive and long overland treks.

BG2, on the other hand, is still a great game, and does things that have never been surpassed or equalled since. Don't let BG1 ruin BG2 for you.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 10, 2009

Narev
Oct 9, 2005

Something about FIR3 makes me wanna DANCE!
BG1 is just so counter intuitive. The first time I ever played, I went to the Inn like they said, then the city, then that mine. Turns out there's like 857 things to do before the mine, the clue being "I should go there because it's there." Then Minsc left me because I didn't go rescue his bitch from the Gnolls fast enough. I think I just got a save editor and threw like 20 extra HP on everyone and used the cheat code that gives you 4 healing potions a lot. Eh, I read LPs of both of them, and as far as the guy got in Planescape. I bought a used copy cause of the thread, but never got around to playing it either.

I "can't wait" until they start making games with 4th edition rules. I flipped through the basic text in a bookstore, it's just WoW on paper. I wonder if the player sheet has an action bar for you to write your abilities in so you can pretend to push the buttons.

To make my post not a total derail, if anyone picks up Sword of the Samurai from my recommendation, I have a lot of things you should know, most of which I figured out from playing again as an adult.

-Get as much land as you can to start. Family advantage? Land.

-Pick your home province based on the fact that later in the game you WILL be fighting other provinces and will start off very weak and have to start overrunning others FAST to make your army bigger. Basically, don't be in the middle with 5 neighbors. Have land.

-You can raise most of the other abilities in the home screen. You do age and will eventually die, so get a wife and pump out kids.

-Matchmakers will show up to offer you brides once in a while. Take the bride with the best honor you can find, but I've never been able to not take an honor hit from marrying. You may have to rescue her, which involves an easy top down mission.

-Get all the soldiers you can on your current land first, then increase taxes until you can't anymore to get more land at the expense of honor. Maxing out swordplay is good practice, and makes the dueling game way easier. You are maxed out when the option to practice goes away. Same with generalship, though it takes a while it's worth it.

-Traveling: Traveling alone lets you have random encounters, which you can solve or ignore. Doing these is a main way to grind honor.
Traveling as a ronin means you are up to no good. If you go to someone's house as a ronin, you can gently caress with his people's morale in a top down mission, or assassinate him in a top down mission that leads to a duel. If you find him without raising the alarm you can cut his throat as he sleeps, but I have been able to do that like twice. If soldiers who have seen you get away, game over. This, also, has happened to me like twice.
Traveling with your troops: The only time you will do this is when your lord announces that he wants someone to fight a battle for him. DO THIS ALWAYS, it's the only way besides tax raising to get more land.

-If someone tries to assassinate you or kidnap a family member of yours, you will awaken in your room, the whole house visible. When you go outside, Ninjas will pop from nowhere. They have throwing stars and swords. When you see a yellow swordsman, that's the invader. Kill him with arrows, if he gets too close you have to duel.

-F1 (I think) shows you info on the other guys, and where you stand. When your Lord dies, (and he will, even without "help") the highest guy usually wins.

-Take advantage of the first "level" (Samurai) to train up. If other guys get elected Hatamoto, it doesn't matter, life goes on. When you get to be Hatamoto (Assassinate him when you have full sword, honor, generalship, and land which does max out) the game continues the same way. The other Hatamoto are your rivals, head guy is Daimyo. Your formerly huge army is now two guys and a dog with a sword taped to his back. Commence land gathering techniques, top off skills same deal as before except everyone has a two story house.

-You will probably start getting old somewhere in your struggle to be Hatamoto. You'll know when the option to retire shows up. Your son is probably middle aged or older too. Do what I did here: You want a good long life as a Daimyo. Retire. Your son will take over, and he blows plus he's too old. Chill and maybe try to get land until you get a wife. Chill till you get an Heir. Chill till he's a Young Adult and you're old. SAVE. Now retire. Now you have a nice young samurai with his whole life ahead of him. You'll have to train him back into Superman. Do it, then kill of the Daimyo. There is no one to elect you, so others will support you or another. If everyone picks you, you win. If not, you fight a battle. Sabotage and assassinate rivals as necessary to ensure everyone sucks but you.

-This is getting long as hell, but the Daimyo game is different. How you start depends on luck, so keep 4 or 5 saves. Your army will blow, but the only way to get more land is to invade, and FAST before your neighbors start getting big. Save, and attack someone. If he's got a big army, load and attack someone else. If everybody is too strong, load your Pre-Daimyo save and try again. F1 still gives you a report on your neighbors. When you feel like you have enough land and are unstoppable, declare yourself Shogun. Others will support you, but probably not. Now you'll battle. If you win, game over.

-I worked harder on this than I meant to, so go play this game. It is truly a forgotten classic.

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
I was curious if anyone could give me some insider advice on Command and Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars for the 360. Particularly how to be a contender on xbox live and how to finish Operation: Stiletto. That level is raping me like a ginger-headed schoolboy.

And if anyone wants to play online and show me "DaRopes(tm)", my GT is High Jacked241

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
X-Com: UFO Defense
  • Get lasers, gently caress the haters. Keep at least one laser rifle in your squad at all times, right up until the end of the game. You will thank me when you run into your first Sectopod/Cyberdisc. Lasers utterly destroy the mechs in 2-3 hits vs. 5-6 Heavy Plasma shots.
  • Ignore all the talk about Heavy Lasers and Laser cannons. Neither is worth researching, even though Laser Cannons have the highest profit margin. Your best seller early on is Motion Scanners, not Laser Pistols. Once you're well down the line of research and your engineers need more stuff to research, research the big Laser weapons and convert your manufacturing wing to that.
  • Each Lab can hold 50 Scientists. A given Workshop can only hold about 30 Engineers, because whatever they're building takes up space. Never have excess personnel. If they're not working, they should be fired.
  • Capture an alien ASAP and research and build an Alien Containment. It will cost you a lot of soldiers, but it's worth the effort.
  • Get the Stun Launcher as fast as possible. If anything larger than the cross-shaped UFO lands or crashes, try to stun every alien inside until you get a Navigator. Immediately research a Hyperwave Decoder.
  • Get a drat Hyperwave Decoder as soon as you can. Seriously, do it.
  • Electroflares are reusable. You never need more than 12 of them, ever. Do not waste your space with more.
  • In base defense, the game automatically gives you the first 256 items in your base inventory, regardless of whether you have better stuff. The list follows your sell screen, so unload all those crappy rifles and pistols, and don't fill your inventory with 80 electroflares (see above) and 20 stun rods.
  • If you're getting sick of Battleships attacking your base in the late game, build 3 Fusion Ball Launchers and a Grav Shield. This is guaranteed to destroy any and all ships that ever attack your base. Ever.
  • 2 Alien grenades or high explosives going off in the same spot can blast a hole in the wall of a UFO. This is much cheaper than using a blaster bomb, and a lot easier to do early on. Manipulate the timers to make them go off in the same round.
  • Crouching raises your accuracy and makes you harder to hit. Always save at least 4 TUs to make everyone crouch at the end of a round. Crouch before you fire if the shot will end your round.
  • Equipping something in your other hand when you have a two-handed gun will lower your accuracy. Avoid when possible. Pistols and Stun Rods are the only 1 handed weapons. Psi-Amps and Mind Probes don't even use accuracy, so you can equip both at the same time.
Some personal gameplay suggestions:
  • Your first base should be in either North America or Europe. Before you start building alien craft you should build a second base in Antarctica. Fill it with Living Quarters, Labs, Workshops, and Alien Containment, and give it 1 Hangar. Put ALL of your scientists and engineers here, then remove all your Labs and such from Base 1, excluding the Alien Containment. Use the extra space for more storage and Psi Labs, and rearrange the base so that the Elevator and Hangars all have one entrance to the rest of base. Line this entrance with your storage and living quarters, because that is where your soldiers will spawn in a base defense. Transfer stuff back and forth, it's a lot more efficient and the aliens will never find your base in the middle of the south pole. Add some defenses later on.
  • You can rename soldiers. Get into the habit of going through their stats to figure out their strengths and weaknesses, then adjust their name so it's easier to outfit them on missions. Someone with high Throwing might get a De (for Demolitions) tag after their name, which means you give them extra grenades. At the least, make sure you label your Psionic guys, and don't let them die. Everyone else is expendable, but a well trained Psi is worth more than most of your team. Remember that the size and weight of weapons affects Stamina, so don't give big guns to guys with low energy, unless you're not planning on having them move around too much. Never give an AoE weapon to someone with a weak Psi Defense.
  • Your best Psi ops are NOT expendable. Keep them in the Skyranger/Avenger, and you only ever need two of them. Only one of them needs a Mind Probe, but both need Psi Amps. Psionics do not need line of sight to work, so they can attack and control an alien anywhere on the map from their relatively safe spot.
  • Your guy with the lowest stamina but decent accuracy works as a good Blaster Launcher/Sentry at the back of the Skyranger/Avenger. Give him a Plasma Pistol to help defend the Psis. You can reach almost anywhere on any map with the 9 waypoints you get, so he doesn't need to move.
  • If you see a black crabby thing during a terror mission involving Snakemen, RUN AWAY. Don't ever get near those things.

Morrowind
  • Get a paralyzing dagger as soon as possible. One can be found in/near Seyda Neen, look around, they're all over. Carry at least 2 with you at all times.
  • Once you have this dagger, go to the Dren Plantation, north of Vivec. Go out into the fields and climb up the ladder into the little lookout shack. There is a Dunmer in there. Paralyze him and stab him in the face, then take the Daedric Daikatana he's carrying. Congratulations, you now have the most powerful melee weapon in the game, barring enchantments. You can now continue on the quest.
  • Ebony weapons hold the most charge. If you're going to enchant, find one and use that.
  • There is an Imp named Creeper in Ald'ruhn. He (along with 1 other merchant) has the best sell prices of any merchant in the game, so use him to sell your good stuff.
  • In the archipelago SW of Molag Mar there is a certain island that's covered with mudcrabs. Be very careful out here and find the one crab that doesn't attack you on sight. Walk up to it and talk to it. You've now found the OTHER merchant that has the best selling prices in the game.
  • Go out to the Shrine of Azura on the SE tip of the island, and click on the statue. Do that quest to get the largest Soul Gem in the game, which can hold any soul you will ever find. It's also reusable. Once you get it, sell all your other soul gems to Creeper.
  • Pursue Lu Bu. Don't be a pussy.

This is an awesome thread idea. Voted 5, and so should you!

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 10, 2009

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Ashenai posted:

Sword of the Samurai is definitely the goods, I'm surprised more people haven't heard of it. I'd :f5: the poo poo out of a Let's Play.
A bit off-topic but if memory serves Frankomatic already did a Sword of the Samurai LP a year ago or so.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Coffee Jones posted:

I didn't care for II too much, but people I know who were raised with it love it. The characters are interesting, but they drop like flies in the endgame. Plus, the best ending may be impossible to get playing blind.

I personally like III the best as well. Its battle system has the most to it and the game is the most rewarding.

IV is rather interesting as well, though. The dungeons are shorter, but they all contain mini-games. Plus I think the characterization is about the same (which is very good). The battle system's not the best though and the series' centerpiece—Ryu's dragon transformations—are very hamstrung in this game.

Dragon Quarter is very weird, but fun. The game's very difficult, but for me what made it hard to play for long periods of time was the uniform bleakness of the entire game. Check the first few pages (including my starting post) for more advice on this game.

My recommendation is to play the last three.

Suoinoleht
Jul 10, 2008

heh
Anybody got some advice for me if I decide to pick up Red Alert 3 sometime soon? I quickly searched the thread and didn't see it so I thought I'd ask.

Important things I'm wondering are things like pacing, balance, length of games, and whether it's more of a macro (rushing) game or a micro (out-teching) game. I'm referring to multiplayer, of course.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

ZeeBoi posted:

Is the original release of MGS3 playable? As opposed to Subsistence's camera control improvements, that is.

I've only played the original MGS3. I gave up about half-way through due mostly due to control annoyances. So I might say no. I probably would have liked Subsistance, but I didn't want to buy a game twice.

On the other handed, millions of other people apparently loved it and it got excellent reviews, so there's that.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Ski Free
-It is impossible to win, so don't even try.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

ZeeBoi posted:

I've played both, and if you can get Subsistence, there really is no reason whatsoever to play the original. Subsistence is WAY better, simply for the camera.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Tetris
-It is impossible to win, but keep trying.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Ddraig posted:

The game is designed around repeated playthroughs. If you gently caress something up, don't fret it, you can always play through again and you'll be stronger and know more about what to do.

I didnt totally realize this until my second or third death(who needs manuals?). I just kept loading my last save and trying to grind my way through the cases.

Any suggestions on 'must have' weapons? I usually try to keep a few katanas on me, since you can get them pretty early, but they seem to have poo poo for durability.

I played up to the boss fight with the motorcycling chick and saved/started over three times, the last time I fought her(and won) I had gotten to level 29 I think. I think Im getting close to the end of the game as Im one or two cases through the 8-* series. With 29 survivors too :clint:.

gently caress the mutiny people though

spamman5r
Oct 2, 2008

Portable Staplefrog posted:

Tetris
-It is impossible to win, but keep trying.

Interestingly enough, you can't play forever, either:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris#End_of_play

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Secret Ooze posted:

Any suggestions on 'must have' weapons? I usually try to keep a few katanas on me, since you can get them pretty early, but they seem to have poo poo for durability.

Get the mini-chainsaws off of the psycho clown, then head to the bookstore. I don't know which ones you need, but there are three books that you can pick up to increase the durability of these weapons. With all three books in your possession, you can use the things for pretty much the entire game; they'll saw through a number of zombies in a single, quick hit, bosses will simply collapse before your sawing might, and if you ever need more you can just return to where the clown was and pick them up. You might need to get a couple more near the end of the game, if you cut through a high number of the undead.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Morpheus posted:

Get the mini-chainsaws off of the psycho clown, then head to the bookstore. I don't know which ones you need, but there are three books that you can pick up to increase the durability of these weapons. With all three books in your possession, you can use the things for pretty much the entire game; they'll saw through a number of zombies in a single, quick hit, bosses will simply collapse before your sawing might, and if you ever need more you can just return to where the clown was and pick them up. You might need to get a couple more near the end of the game, if you cut through a high number of the undead.

You should be warned, though, you will feel cheesy for relying on this. Alternatively, go visit some bookstores and look for books to improve the lifespan of your katanas -- when a book's in your inventory, you can go into the Skills section of the menu and look up exactly what weapons it improves.

Also, make sure to give mannequin torsos a try. Bonk!

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa

Suoinoleht posted:

Anybody got some advice for me if I decide to pick up Red Alert 3 sometime soon? I quickly searched the thread and didn't see it so I thought I'd ask.

Important things I'm wondering are things like pacing, balance, length of games, and whether it's more of a macro (rushing) game or a micro (out-teching) game. I'm referring to multiplayer, of course.

I have a month's experience with the 360 version of Tiberium Wars and only a couple days with Red Alert 3 (just bought it) and personally I prefer Tiberium Wars. The matches go by faster, the graphics are crisper, and the controls seem more fluid than Red Alert 3. Now I'm still trying to get a feel for the RA 3 multiplayer, but the economy goes slower for that game and Tiberium Wars is more about the macro: setting up an economy and swarming your enemy before he does is the name of the game in TW, teching helps but economy is key. I know this wasn't quite what you asked but I hope it helped some. If you want to play the co-op campaign online sometime, my GT is high jacked241.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
I just got my hands on Dawn of War. Having played the sequel first, I'm feeling a little out of my depth (I'm also terrible at anything RTS!). Any advice for the singleplayer campaign?

sexual rickshaw
Jul 17, 2001

I AM A SOCIALIST COMMUNIST MARXIST FASCIST FREEDOM-HATING NAZI LIBERAL CZAR!
I know some tips for Front Mission 3 were posted earlier in this thread, but does anyone have a bit more in depth tips/answers?

sexual rickshaw fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 18, 2009

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Category Fun! posted:

I just got my hands on Dawn of War. Having played the sequel first, I'm feeling a little out of my depth (I'm also terrible at anything RTS!). Any advice for the singleplayer campaign?

You can cheese it by just turtling and building 541853 turrets around each resourse point, gather up your army, rush to capture the next one, and then build another 49382 turrents around that one. And then repeat it until you are at their base.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I just downloaded Suikoden for my PSP but I haven't played it before. I downloaded it solely on reputation. Lay it on me!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Capm posted:

I just downloaded Suikoden for my PSP but I haven't played it before. I downloaded it solely on reputation. Lay it on me!

Don't bother grinding for levels.

If a character has a portrait, good chances they either join your party, are bad, or plot characters.

Do not choose execute when the choice appears.

Keep Pahn's weapon and level high, it will save you grief later.

Be careful during major battles, as characters can be permanently killed if you do the wrong attack.

Most of the 108 stars are easy to find, but a few are tricky to find like Clive or Lester. If in doubt, look at a requirement guide.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Rirse posted:

Don't bother grinding for levels.

Why is this? When I first left the town I was getting slaughtered by mosquitoes. I figured some grinding was in order...

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
The EXP you get is based on strength of the enemies compared to you, so there's a limit on how far you can go before you're getting crap for EXP. You'll usually hit that limit fairly quickly as you progress normally, so it's not worth it.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

The Capm posted:

Why is this? When I first left the town I was getting slaughtered by mosquitoes. I figured some grinding was in order...

You may have left Gregminster before you're supposed to.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Baldur's Gate
And a lot of other epic RPGs of this ilk:

Stay intensely focused on the main storyline. Yes I know exploring side stories is part of the fun, but if you only a handful that look interesting, and those that dovetail with stuff that happens in the main plot, I guarantee you'll have a memorable experience with the game, leave more to do for a replay later, AND you'll actually finish it, promise!

Also works quite well for BG2, Fallout 1-3, Morrowind, and Oblivion!

And two:

Use your drat consumables. Again, this applies to a lot of rpgs of this type. I've yet to run into any rpg where using consumables left me in some impossible situation later. Indeed, if I'm really blitzing hard, some fights are drat hard without them and more easily manageable with them, and they make for memorable and interesting battles that would otherwise be cakewalks due to overleveling/powering before tackling the main story (see point 1).

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
System Shock 2

If you're a first-timer:

Go Navy. You can start with Hack 1 and Standard Weapons 3, two critical skills.

Standard weapons rock, get it to 6 by the fourth deck or so. For Heavy Weapons, just 1, for the hilariously broken Grenade Launcher. The other weapons suck; ignore them.

Stats aren't that important, just get 4 of all except PSI (more late game if you're done with everything else) and you're golden.

Get Hack 4, Maintain 4, Modify 1 and Research 1. Hack is awesome, but the stuff you need over 4 to hack is not worth it, and only appears really late anyway. Maintain 4 lets you repair all your weapons, and Modify 1 allows you to upgrade several weapons (you get auto-upgrade items to improve the better weapons to upgrade two). And you need Research 1, though an implant can give you this temporarily anyway.

Don't bother with PSI, it's too difficult to use. Feel free late-game, though, if there's nothing else to improve.

Finally, just wrench everything in the first deck, and look everywhere for hidden stuff. Also, seconding playing with headphones in a dark room at night. Fun times.

And save every single AP bullet you get on the first deck. Why? The droids. My God, the droids :gonk:

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 19, 2009

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The Capm posted:

Use a guide, otherwise you'll kick yourself when you miss the insanely easily missable characters.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

Crows Turn Off posted:

Ski Free
-It is impossible to win, so don't even try.

This is true. People thing the snow monster is a boss to be avoided, but it will always get you, that's just the end of the game. Something to do with memory limits.

Morpheus posted:

I've played Disgaea, had some fun with it, so picked up Disgaea 3.

Oh god help me.

Take it easy. Don't worry about what characters to make early on in the game, just play it however you want. The level cap is 9999 and you can reincarnate to go back to level 1 at any time. You have literally hundreds of hours to work it all out. Healer characters gain exp from healing now, so bear in mind that you don't need to have them throw the last punch to level them up any more.

Also spend some time practising to make sure you know how to handle geoblocks properly, there are some pretty puzzling levels later on.

A shrubbery! fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 18, 2009

thestrikeof59
Jul 12, 2004
About to play Majora's Mask for the first time. Any tips?

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

thestrikeof59 posted:

About to play Majora's Mask for the first time. Any tips?

Playing the song of time backwards makes time pass 1/3 slower for the current cycle. Playing the double song of time (right right A A down down) skips to the next dawn/dusk.

Also, get the bunny hood. It lets you run fast. It was my default mask for the vast majority of the game. Get the Bremen mask from the music box man by the laundry pool around midnight then use it around midnight on the final day at the Romani ranch to gather the chicks, and get the bunny hood.

Chateau Romani goes well with the Goron mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I'm about to start digging in Fight Night Round 3 - is there anything I should know?