Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

scuz posted:

Aha, here you are!

Any setting recommendations for the Wasabi Distortion when used for a bass? I'm expecting DrChu's to arrive in the mail today :dance:

Nothing specific but it has plenty of low end, at least two of the EQ settings on it have a nice fat low end. One of them is pretty TS-like, you won't like that. But, as a bassist you will appreciate the blend between clean and overdrive - that'll let you keep it punchy and articulate even if you've got it pretty gritty.

ZombiePeanut posted:

More pedals for the pedal god?

More fuzz for the fuzz throne :black101:

Hubis posted:

Hey, as a side note: I did some playing around the other day, and was absolutely astounded at the tone difference between my sound when I was jacked straight in versus going through my pedal line (4 or 5 pedals, all true-bypass). Just a lot less muffled and brighter. I'd figured there would be some impact, but nothing nearly so noticable.

Anyways, I've heard that plugging a linear boost into the chain can really cut this down; is there any truth to this? I guess just having a buffer between my High-Z guitar and the line of pedals would help somewhat?

Your intuition is correct, getting something active up front will stop the tone loss you're experiencing (provided it isn't in your head ;)). I tend to run my guitar direct into any TB fuzzes I've got, then either my tuner or wah, both of which have good buffers. Stops any problems down the line. Another option is to get a little board kit from GFS and wire in a battery-powered boost into your guitar itself - they make some that are switchable between a few different configurations, where on one setting it's true bypassed out, on another it's just signal conversion to an active output, and then a few kinds of boost. I'm planning to install them in all my guitars at some point, the one guitar I have with an active mid boost has one of my favorite sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

theres plenty of room

How do you like that EHX muff'n? Im thinking about selling mine, just not jiving with the tone...

I love it... I find that you really need to zap down the Highs or else it sounds way too treble-y.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Agreed posted:

Your intuition is correct, getting something active up front will stop the tone loss you're experiencing (provided it isn't in your head ;)). I tend to run my guitar direct into any TB fuzzes I've got, then either my tuner or wah, both of which have good buffers. Stops any problems down the line. Another option is to get a little board kit from GFS and wire in a battery-powered boost into your guitar itself - they make some that are switchable between a few different configurations, where on one setting it's true bypassed out, on another it's just signal conversion to an active output, and then a few kinds of boost. I'm planning to install them in all my guitars at some point, the one guitar I have with an active mid boost has one of my favorite sounds.

Awesome, I may look into something like that. I have an old Squire Bullet that I've been looking to do *something* useful with, so I may try my hand at modding it first.

I broke out the trusty multimeter, and it seems like I'm getting about 1.3-2.0 Ohms of resistance through the Lead + Pedal chain, as opposed to 0.6 Ohms through just the lead. I'm not really sure if that's enough to cause the problems I'm hearing, though. One thing I *did* find, however, is a short between the tip and shaft of my signal chain of around 2.5 Mega-ohms, which might be a little problematic. I wired half the pedals I have myself so I figured it might be a problem with one of them, but from what I can tell it's happening in my big muff :confused:.

Anyways, thanks for the advice -- I've got a linear boost kit that BYOC sent me for free since I was a first-time customer, so now maybe I have an excuse to build it as soon as I find a housing.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
2.5MOhms isn't a short, it's a typical reading for an open circuit.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

the wizards beard posted:

2.5MOhms isn't a short, it's a typical reading for an open circuit.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking, but none of the other pedals besides the BMPi show that which is why I thought it was anomalous.

Early Cuyler
Jan 10, 2006

Fruit don't talk. Fruit just listen.
Yesterday I bought two of these:

and this:

Plus a couple of Auralex MoPad isolation foam pads, and some monster prolink cables to wire the whole shebang up. I FINALLY have a real studio setup, instead of poorly-cobbled-together rack gear and cheap computer speakers. The difference is amazing when you have a nice, uncluttered workflow. The desk is on rollers, so I can easily get behind it and work, and there's only one cable running out to main power, so I can basically roll my control room wherever I want. I think that I'm going to set up my 4x12 in a closet that doubles as an iso room, and then run out to my amp head, which will be next to the desk in another room, and maybe actually have a real control room studio setup. Weeeird.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

Found an old hand hammered Z Custom ride on craigslist for super cheap. Had to drive to shady rear end Middleburgh to get it but! It looks beautiful.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

That cats werent planned, I just set it on my bed and they started going nuts. Clearly, it can withstand alot cuz the orange one is ridiculously fat. :v:

getfuct
Jun 20, 2006

What kinda fucked up tour is this?
I just bought an Ibanez Thermion on ebay for $540

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

West Ham Sandwich posted:

Found an old hand hammered Z Custom ride on craigslist for super cheap. Had to drive to shady rear end Middleburgh to get it but! It looks beautiful.

That cats werent planned, I just set it on my bed and they started going nuts. Clearly, it can withstand alot cuz the orange one is ridiculously fat. :v:

i just went to my storage place and played this thing because i can't sleep and i'm a fanatic. so, 1am jam session w/e. been working on a solo anyway.

the best 100 bucks i've EVER spent. holy crap, this thing sounds incredible.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

getfuct posted:

I always wondered about that, you mind posting some clips when it gets in?

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Early Cuyler posted:

Yesterday I bought two of these:

and this:

Plus a couple of Auralex MoPad isolation foam pads, and some monster prolink cables to wire the whole shebang up. I FINALLY have a real studio setup, instead of poorly-cobbled-together rack gear and cheap computer speakers. The difference is amazing when you have a nice, uncluttered workflow. The desk is on rollers, so I can easily get behind it and work, and there's only one cable running out to main power, so I can basically roll my control room wherever I want. I think that I'm going to set up my 4x12 in a closet that doubles as an iso room, and then run out to my amp head, which will be next to the desk in another room, and maybe actually have a real control room studio setup. Weeeird.

I just picked up a pair of RP-5 G1s on clearance from Musician's Friend, but I go away for a week and one no longer works- the volume immediately drops off to near-silent with a spike in volume when I turn it off. Time to see if they'll have any G1 stock to replace it with :(

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Tama Techstar T206, two analogue as gently caress drum synths in one unit that begs to be turned into a 19" rack, Tama pads (in need of new skins), an expensive tom stand (all for 70€).

It triggers nicely with audio input or cheap piezo triggers which gives me ideas for DIY trigger-pads. It also sounds and looks (raw waveform) beautifully. Back to working on perfecting that snare sound I want.

e: Looks like the two synths both have the same hardware, but were internally adjusted to be a note or two apart from each other as to save money when creating the two distinct tom presets. Time to find the right little potentiometer. On the fun side, lot less distortion and noise after opening it up and blowing the non-existant dust out of it.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 17, 2009

getfuct
Jun 20, 2006

Agreed posted:

I always wondered about that, you mind posting some clips when it gets in?

absolutely. I've loved all the clips i've heard of it. One guy on harmony central described it as "a blues amp gone nuclear"

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
After collecting pedals for the past many months, I am tired of unplugging for batteries, and lugging them around, so I picked up a used SKB PS-45 pedalboard. Yes, a bit big, but it will have plenty of room. =)

(purchased used on talkbass)
http://www.amazon.com/SKB-PS45-Deluxe-Pedalboard-Hard/dp/B000A6AEVO

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

getfuct posted:

absolutely. I've loved all the clips i've heard of it. One guy on harmony central described it as "a blues amp gone nuclear"

I don't know what other people think about it but I love how it looks, that's the coolest amp logo I've ever seen. Kitschy but awesome. I do know that the Ibanez TBX or whatever, the faux-150W (pulling 145W from the wall, yeah right), are "alright" for the money but nothing I'd want to mess with... But that amp seems like it might be a different story.

getfuct
Jun 20, 2006

Agreed posted:

I don't know what other people think about it but I love how it looks, that's the coolest amp logo I've ever seen. Kitschy but awesome. I do know that the Ibanez TBX or whatever, the faux-150W (pulling 145W from the wall, yeah right), are "alright" for the money but nothing I'd want to mess with... But that amp seems like it might be a different story.

i hope so.

i just brought this home to pair with it. i got it for $350 on CL. there isn't a smudge on it.

internetpizza
May 8, 2007

Oh man, grownups and their sleazy conversations!

West Ham Sandwich posted:

I picked up two Z Customs (Rock and Medium crash, both 19") at a pawn shop for $100 like two years ago, and while they're great cymbals, sometimes they're just a little too "gong-y" for what I'm playing. Is this a characteristic of Z Custom rides as well, or is it just limited to the crashes?

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Gongy wouldnt be what I'd call it. It's very cutting, and the bell is VERY loud but the wash on it is amazing, and if you ride the bell with the tip of your stick it sounds amazing. The loud bell is a bonus for heavier music, but probably wouldn't fit in well outside of that.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I'm going to write up a big DIY post in DIY or die later, but for now I figured I show off my two new custom edrums. This was made from an old 12 inch acoustic tom cut in half. Right now I have my kit hooked up to rock band, but I can also use it with my TD-6.

The rim cushion is a big off on the snare but it's going to be replaced with something a little thinner I think.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Allright posted:

And my friend is letting me borrow her Gibson and amp: holy poo poo I wish it was mine:

Holy hell that's one of the sexiest things I've ever seen. In Musicians Lounge anyway.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

getfuct posted:

i hope so.

i just brought this home to pair with it. i got it for $350 on CL. there isn't a smudge on it.

Ooooo... big! What's it loaded with?

getfuct
Jun 20, 2006

scuz posted:

Ooooo... big! What's it loaded with?

G12T-75s

edit:
that's what SHE said.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

getfuct posted:

G12T-75s

edit:
that's what SHE said.
:smug:

Awesome, duder. Seconding the clips request when you get it all set up. When's the amp arriving?

getfuct
Jun 20, 2006

scuz posted:

:smug:

Awesome, duder. Seconding the clips request when you get it all set up. When's the amp arriving?

monday.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

I've wanted this for a loooong time. Finally picked it up on Saturday. I think god punished me or something since I got the flu on Sunday and ended up going to the hospital for dehydration yesterday. Some day I'll be able to play this motherfucker. :argh:

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

Haydez posted:

I've wanted this for a loooong time. Finally picked it up on Saturday. I think god punished me or something since I got the flu on Sunday and ended up going to the hospital for dehydration yesterday. Some day I'll be able to play this motherfucker. :argh:

Awesome choice. I've got the X7 and it's my main piece for all the standard sound like pianos, bass, some synths, pads and lots of stuff. Lead guitar is great too, but I don't like the strings for studio but when playing live they do the job great. The amount of stuff you can create with this is overwhelming at first but totally awesome.
I use it as my main keyboard for live shows, as it can do basically everything. My rig expanded now but it's still the centerpiece of it all.

e: Forgot about the sampler, that's another thing I used a lot back then but now I use my laptop with Ableton and Simpler.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I've done my part to stimulate the economy. There goes most of my tax return.

Martin DX1 Dreadnought Acoustic

With hardcase

Now I'm going to go blow the rest of my return on a new Snowboard so I can spread my love butter all over the terrain park next season.

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy

getfuct posted:

Seconding a review on this, I've always been curious. I'm looking for an upgrade from my Valveking, I'm stuck between a 5150/6505 or a Mesa dual rect. But I do like Ibanez's solid-state amps. I imagine their tube amps blow them out of the water.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
MF is blowing out all the Danelectro Wasabi pedals they have for $29 each now, if anyone is interested. They've got all of them except for the Reverse-Delay I think; I've had the Distortion and Overdrive for ages now, and they're really great for the money (and built like friggin' tanks) - I just picked up the Chorus-Trem and RockABye as well.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

second one just came in the mail! commence ripping off dave knudson GO GO GO

Kekkoslovakia
Dec 21, 2004

by mons all madden

Yarbald posted:

second one just came in the mail! commence ripping off dave knudson GO GO GO

Set type to Digital w/ Mod,repeats to max, mix to max wet, and time to anything past the middle point. Input any sound. Set time to min and voila: sweet modulating drone that carries on forever. Great for meditation before practice.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

SteelWav posted:

Awesome choice. I've got the X7 and it's my main piece for all the standard sound like pianos, bass, some synths, pads and lots of stuff. Lead guitar is great too, but I don't like the strings for studio but when playing live they do the job great. The amount of stuff you can create with this is overwhelming at first but totally awesome.
I use it as my main keyboard for live shows, as it can do basically everything. My rig expanded now but it's still the centerpiece of it all.

Overwhelming is an understatement. I think I probably know how to use about 1% of what this keyboard can even do. I've been playing an Alesis QS8 for a while, so this is my first "real workstation" to use. I think I'm going to buy the DVD tutorial sold at http://www.proaudiodvds.com/ to learn some more about it. I already spent too much time with the D beam and guitar patches already.

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?
A few days ago, I posted a Status Graphite S2 i bought. I loved the graphite properties of the neck, So i decided to go for a Graphite reinforced Pedulla Pentabuzz 5 string Fretless bass. I should be recieving it next month!

It has AAAAA maple wings. Really nice burpy tone. As it should for a £3000 instrument!

Cant wait to play this life in the death metal band, a pretty good replacement for my Ibanez GWB fretless.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I can't decide whether I like how that looks or not. I think it's the headstock I don't really like, or it doesn't really mesh with the body or something.

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.

Click here for the full 1750x567 image.

lookit dat fukkin quilt

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Agreed posted:

If you don't have one, buy it, totally worth it. Excellent OD.

Okayokay, it was worth it. It came today and I played a bit with my Tele (lil' 59 at the bridge) and it was sweet.

Updated setup:

morningdrew fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 20, 2009

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

Veg posted:

Holy hell that's one of the sexiest things I've ever seen. In Musicians Lounge anyway.

She also has a Fender bass and a Gibson bass too, they're both loving beautiful as well. She said she got them both from some rich guy friends of her mom's. She's lucky.

Oh yeah and she's thinking about selling one of the bass's. I'll get some pictures and probably try to sell it on SA mart. They're quality.

e: If anyone's really interested let me know and I'll question her about it.

kill you are self fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 20, 2009

Hamer777
Jan 23, 2006
My second guitar and hopefully not last! This is just after final sanding but it has since been grain filled and oil finished. I should have it done tomorrow night.

Click here for the full 1556x1167 image.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Never needed to use this forum before, but today I finally got my first ever electric guitar. It's only one of those mass-produced Squire Strat starter guitars, but it still excites me.

It's actually my third guitar ever. The first time I was too young, I hadn't yet discovered the love of music so I never wanted to play. (What a bloody idiot.) The second time I got one it was an impulse buy, but life was too hectic to actually knuckle down and learn the drat thing. This time though, this time I'm ready. I'm going to play this until my fingers bleed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

That shouldn't take too long, at least on your fretting hand, since those things have remarkably poorly crowned frets.

Still, congrats on getting in the game. It's a shame you couldn't have done a little bit of poking around here first, we could have pointed you to a better use of the money. Hopefully you got the best Squier starter guitar ever made.