Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
So today is day two of my impromptu "Lets ride from Savannah GA back to NJ!" spring break trip. Hopefully its the last day, the ride so far has been pretty much everything that is a nightmare. It took me roughly 9 hours to get 400 miles. Apparently I picked the only weekend of the year that not only is it raining, but it is sub 40 degree weather and raining from Savannah, all the way to DC. I made it about halfway, and just had to stop and get a hotel to dry out for the night. The bike, which was fun to find out, refuses to go faster than 70 mph, unless its downhill, then it will very slowly work its way to maybe 80. Also, my gps decided to freeze 20 minutes into the trip, and won't turn back on, so I taped directions to my tank, in a plastic bag.

What makes it most fun, is all of my raingear is in NJ. So yesterday I was simply just getting loving completely soaked all day. Today I plan to wrap myself in garbage bags under my gear to stay dry.

That said, I have definitely had a small amount of fun. In my mind, few things beat passing a good 20 trucks with gold wings trailered behind them from daytona bike week, in the rain on I-95, Doing 70.

So an overall gear check list on how it preforms in the rain at speed for you all.
MotoGP corkscrew jacket: Your arms and sides get soaked within minutes, chest is fine.
Setup Boots: Hahahahaha. If you look at rain, you have an inch of water in your boot.
River Road textile pants: A whole ripped in the crotch about 100 miles in, for no reason but them being used alot. Thusly, my crotch is constantly wet/cold which is less than enjoyable, and they aren't even close to waterproof.
HJC-CL15(I think) Helmet: Who likes fogged visors!

Currently I'm wearing 2 pairs of gloves I picked up at a truckstop under my riding gloves, which helps a bit, and 2 pairs of socks. Also wearing a beanie style hat and bandana since apparently nobody knows what a baclava is. The bandana honestly has made the ride a thousand times easier. Wearing it bandit style lets me breath warm air back onto my face, which is much needed.

Heres too another long long day of riding a 21 year old bike running at half its potential through poo poo rear end weather on I-95. I'm just looking to push through DC as fast as possible, as supposedly the rain stops just around there.

fake edit: And I'm getting MAYBE 25mpg, so I'm stopping every 60-80 miles for gas (which is more of a blessing then anything, because its an excuse to get feeling back in my hands without feeling like I'm constantly pulling over)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.
^^^^ Much respect. Hope the weather improves for you. But...

Trintintin posted:

The bike, which was fun to find out, refuses to go faster than 70 mph, unless its downhill, then it will very slowly work its way to maybe 80.

What were you thinking when you decided to take an 800 mile trip on a bike you didn't know the highway performance of?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Nerobro posted:

The aprilia's run very, very tight piston clearances. If the barrel isn't warm, and the piston is, the motor WILL soft seize.

That said 10 minutes is excessive... If I recall the article in BIKE properly, you are supposed to wait for the coolant gauge to move, then you can ride gently till the motor comes up to temp.

A couple of RS50's have come up for sale here in southcentral AK-and I have been tempted. I'm surprised that the local youths never picked up on the RS50 or the Derbi, 50cc counts as a "scooter" in Alaska and a 14yo can get a permit to ride legally on the street.

There was an ebay auction where a guy was selling a RS250 "frame" with a US legal 17 digit VIN which went for some ridiculous sum. Lots of fun I'm sure but it would have worked out to about $12.5K for a 250cc street bike. For that much you could get a really nice RZ350 and a lifetime supply of rings.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Trintintin posted:

"Lets ride from Savannah GA back to NJ!"

I'm planning a similar trip this summer--Savannah up along the coast to DC, then Chesapeake area north to Scranton, NE PA. I'd like to hear about your route. Expect a PM

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!

A bunch of goons two pages ago posted:

some poo poo about waving.

Late to the party, but I've just got to chime in. Jesus Christ, goons are neurotic.

:sweatdrop: Oh god, someone else on a MOTORCYCLE! Do I wave? What brand of motorcycle are they riding?! How clean is it? What are they wearing? Did they shave today? What's their annual adjusted gross income? Do they have a graduate degree?

:clint: Oh hey, a motorcycle. :wave:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I had two great exchanges of waves yesterday. First one was an oncoming bike that waved a "slow down" type of motion, first time I've seen that on the bike. Sure enough, later on there was a speed trap. I rode past safely within the speed limit and gave the policeman operating the laser a "uh huh, that's how a good citizen rides" type of nod. He smiled at me and nodded back. Made my day!

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

Trintintin posted:

Apparently I picked the only weekend of the year that not only is it raining, but it is sub 40 degree weather and raining from Savannah, all the way to DC.

I feel your pain; I rode from Columbia, SC to north of Atlanta yesterday, and then back today, and it's frickin' cold and wet out. I met an Army guy at a gas station with no actual motorcycling gear on what looked like a GS750, and he looked pretty frostbitten. I offered him some rubber gloves to wear under his wool(!) ones and some chemical hand and foot warmers (those things are great for the dollar they cost), but he wouldn't take them. I was definitely glad today that I bought a hi-viz jacket.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I really hate dealing with people on Craigslist.

Typical Ad:

RD200 blah blah blah needs work blah blah

My question:
What work are you aware it needs?

Answer:
about 100 worth of work. Since you can't handle doing work and tuning this is not the bike for you. Go buy an '09.

:arghfist::black101:

Everyone can estimate how much a repair will cost, but no one can ever tell me what the gently caress needs to be repaired!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I like how they'll sell it for 50-75% of the bluebook price. "Selling cheap! Only needs new ____ and $200 worth of work!"

Gee....Gotta wonder why they don't just fix it themselves and sell it for twice as much!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Ola posted:

:words:

Is the 'tap on helmet' used to indicate the local constabulary in your neck of the woods? I've seen it (and used it) a few times around here, but maybe it's a NA only thing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Trintintin posted:

Apparently I picked the only weekend of the year that not only is it raining, but it is sub 40 degree weather and raining from Savannah, all the way to DC.
Yeah, this is what I just took my MSF in (DC area here). Naturally, last weekend was 60/70s and beautiful.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Zool posted:

I really hate dealing with people on Craigslist.

Typical Ad:

RD200 blah blah blah needs work blah blah

My question:
What work are you aware it needs?

Answer:
about 100 worth of work. Since you can't handle doing work and tuning this is not the bike for you. Go buy an '09.

:arghfist::black101:

Everyone can estimate how much a repair will cost, but no one can ever tell me what the gently caress needs to be repaired!

If he can't tell you and/or it's a cheap price but they "can't be bothered" then they're trying to pull something over on you. Don't get frustrated, just be glad you didn't get ripped off and move on.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I air guitar at stoplights

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I sing on long trips, especially when slabbing it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Simkin posted:

So I'm not the only one.....

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Nerobro posted:

So I'm not the only one.....

Definitely not the only one, though it can get infuritating when I've got some really crappy song stuck on my brain. I went to pick my sister up from Uni yesterday, she told me after we got back that she'd been singing really loudly and had worried at some point that I'd heard her.

For even more insanity, I have arguements with myself when I get bored.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Simkin posted:

Is the 'tap on helmet' used to indicate the local constabulary in your neck of the woods? I've seen it (and used it) a few times around here, but maybe it's a NA only thing?

No, well at least I haven't seen it or heard anyone mention it. This guy put his arm straight out then moved it up and down. I guess anything that isn't "sup buddy" should mean stick the the speed limit and watch out.

Simkin posted:

Oh god, I can't stop singing stupid children songs. My bonnie lies over the ocean...

I've started listening to music / the radio with my cellphone which has nice isolating ear plugs. Cutting down the wind noise was the motivator as I could feel my ears were quite fatigued after a long trip. I don't like it at low speed since I can't hear the engine well enough to give it just the right amount of throttle when inching forward and similar, but I think that'll go away with some practice and relying on other senses. I wouldn't use it when commuting in dense traffic, I really like hearing what's happening around me.

I don't find music messing with my concentration at all. That part of the brain that starts meandering as soon as its bored (bring back, bring back, oh bring back my bonnie to me, to me) is kept busy, while the part that is concerned about operating a motorcycle remains undisturbed.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I sing, I whistle, I beatbox, I make strange noises that sound neat with earplugs in, I talk to myself... basically if anyone heard what was going on in that helmet they'd probably have me committed.
Sometimes I listen to my ipod with noise isolating earplugs, but I save that for long trips where I'm unlikely to encounter urban environments.

I think it was on Long Way Round, but Ewen said something about the helmets being miked up, that he hoped there was a way to select the recording off, because he didn't want everybody to hear his horrible and bizarre singing. I think everybody does it! :)

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 16, 2009

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
So I'm home, with the motorcycle, but it wasn't fun at all. Took a few pictures while I was sitting under the bridge where route 100 runs over I-95, for 2 hours. The motorcycle is hosed and I have no idea what happened. I'm probably going to make a new post on it, just due to the sheer ridiculousness of the trip.

And for whoever said it, I did know it was poo poo on the highway, but I really didn't have an option. There was a family emergency and I was needed at home, so I got here, just in a lovely lovely way.

Iniquitous
May 21, 2001
I POST
BEFORE
I THINK

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, this is what I just took my MSF in (DC area here). Naturally, last weekend was 60/70s and beautiful.
'sup DC area recent MSF buddy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Linedance posted:

I make strange noises that sound neat with earplugs in

Ha, I do this at the track. If I open my jaw in any fashion, I get this odd pressure equalization sound if my earplugs are in right. It threw me off the first few times, now it's just a reminder that I'm continuing to breathe.

I sing too. I think singing on a motorcycle is kinda like singing in the shower.

Trintintin, at least you're home...I had a friend who limped his ZX11 400 miles after it dropped a valve.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

Trintintin, at least you're home...I had a friend who limped his ZX11 400 miles after it dropped a valve.

Yeah I ended up limping the 500 down 95 for about 50 miles to get within range of my free 200 mile tow for triple a. So I guess for things to go wrong, the went wrong as well as they could (and triple a has payed for itself 13 times over). I also think I cracked my radiator at some point in DC. I stopped to fix my gear, and when i looked at the motorcycle it was POURING out smoke, which I first thought was the rain smoking off the exhaust, until I looked down to see a WHOLE mess of green fluid running away from the bike. The hose was fine and everything along those lines it just wouldn't hold fluid the minute it started to warm up. When it was cold water would sit just fine (didn't have proper fluid so I made due) but the minute it warmed up it immediately would get rid of it all again.

I'm going to roll it down to the local shop tomorrow and have them tell me whats wrong with it. I can't afford for it to be fixed but at least to have an idea of what needs to be done. It will start as of now, but will not idol or even get close to running above 4k rpm with WOT in neutral. I'm thinking one of the carbs (which I supposedly just got fixed) is hosed, and the radiator is obviously a problem. I'm happy it starts still though, lets me know the engine is running ok and it is most likely just a carb problem. I'll start a thread with details on it later in the day hopefully.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Trintintin posted:

Yeah I ended up limping the 500 down 95 for about 50 miles to get within range of my free 200 mile tow for triple a. So I guess for things to go wrong, the went wrong as well as they could (and triple a has payed for itself 13 times over). I also think I cracked my radiator at some point in DC. I stopped to fix my gear, and when i looked at the motorcycle it was POURING out smoke, which I first thought was the rain smoking off the exhaust, until I looked down to see a WHOLE mess of green fluid running away from the bike. The hose was fine and everything along those lines it just wouldn't hold fluid the minute it started to warm up. When it was cold water would sit just fine (didn't have proper fluid so I made due) but the minute it warmed up it immediately would get rid of it all again.

I'm going to roll it down to the local shop tomorrow and have them tell me whats wrong with it. I can't afford for it to be fixed but at least to have an idea of what needs to be done. It will start as of now, but will not idol or even get close to running above 4k rpm with WOT in neutral. I'm thinking one of the carbs (which I supposedly just got fixed) is hosed, and the radiator is obviously a problem. I'm happy it starts still though, lets me know the engine is running ok and it is most likely just a carb problem. I'll start a thread with details on it later in the day hopefully.

Wow.

Well, I guess we'll see what the shop says...that bike has been nothing but issues for you :(

I promise that they're not all like that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Trintintin posted:

Can you tell where it's leaking from? Is it coming out the overflow or somewhere else? If it's hemorrhaging out of the overflow maybe your thermostat is stuck.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 16, 2009

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Can you tell where it's leaking from? Is it coming out the overflow or somewhere else? If it's hemorrhaging out of the overflow maybe your thermostat is stuck.

No Idea, I'm gonna pull off the lower fairing tomorrow and try and find where its leaking from. I decided to put off the thread until tomorrow because I'm tired as hell, and I want to find out where it's leaking from first.

I definitely am only running on one cylinder at the moment. When I started it up, one of the cylinders was just pouring out smoke, and it wouldn't idle at all without some heavy throttle input.

On the bright side of things, I took my favorite picture of my motorcycle so far, while sitting under route 100 waiting for my tow.
http://i44.tinypic.com/w2mxaf.jpg

Edit: z3n. While it has been nothing but issues for me, I'm actually still really happy with what it's been. I've learned so much from it being such a complete piece of trash that I really don't even want to trash it. My current thought is that if it's as hosed as I think it is, I'm just going to drain it of gas and store it till summer and try and fix it myself. I can get by with a bicycle till fall when I get more student loan money to misuse on motorcycles! The fact that I can pretty confidently diagnose whats wrong with it just by listening to and looking at it is amazing for me, seeing as I had never touched a wrench on anything but a bicycle until last year.

Trintintin fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 16, 2009

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Ola posted:

I've started listening to music / the radio with my cellphone which has nice isolating ear plugs. Cutting down the wind noise was the motivator as I could feel my ears were quite fatigued after a long trip. I don't like it at low speed since I can't hear the engine well enough to give it just the right amount of throttle when inching forward and similar, but I think that'll go away with some practice and relying on other senses. I wouldn't use it when commuting in dense traffic, I really like hearing what's happening around me.

I don't find music messing with my concentration at all. That part of the brain that starts meandering as soon as its bored (bring back, bring back, oh bring back my bonnie to me, to me) is kept busy, while the part that is concerned about operating a motorcycle remains undisturbed.
There's actually quite a lot of noise at anything above 50mph or so from the helmet, and it's damaging to your long-term hearing. At the very least, earplugs are a must.

Regarding the revving of the engine, you get used to it, and before you know it, you know you've got enough revs to take off based on the angle of your wrist. Initially though, taking off can be a little... interesting.

And finally, I completely agree.. it's like the 'music recognition/appreciation' part of my brain is completely seperate from my 'control a motorcycle and pay attention to surroundings' brain portion. I actually find I use my other senses are sharpened, while after 45 minutes of engine droning on has the opposite effect, and I find myself losing any "edge" I may have had.

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Trintintin posted:

No Idea, I'm gonna pull off the lower fairing tomorrow and try and find where its leaking from. I decided to put off the thread until tomorrow because I'm tired as hell, and I want to find out where it's leaking from first.

I definitely am only running on one cylinder at the moment. When I started it up, one of the cylinders was just pouring out smoke, and it wouldn't idle at all without some heavy throttle input.

I had a coolant hose leak on me on my old ex500. It was one that went into the head from the top. It leaked into the spark plug well and caused one cylinder to short out and surprise, surprise it was running on one cylinder. I would suspect you're having a similiar issue. While you're in there, blow out the drain holes so it can't fill with water and short you out again.

The good thing is that ex500's are stupid easy to work on and parts are plentiful. You'll figure it out soon enough.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Rode the bike to work today for the first time :iamafag: and learned a few things:

1. Bastards in Land Rovers like to use windshield sprayers in front of you and cover your visor in mist.

2. Never underestimate the power of bugs in spring (do I need like rainx or something to repell those fuckers?)

3. Even if the forecast is 75F later in the day, 40F in the morning will really freeze your chin going 70 down the road.

4. Kawasakis have a parking light setting as a lock mode, dont use them if you want your battery to stay alive the rest of the day (thanks for the tip boss!)

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

dietcokefiend posted:

4. Kawasakis have a parking light setting as a lock mode, dont use them if you want your battery to stay alive the rest of the day (thanks for the tip boss!)

I never understood the point of this. What would anyone use this for?

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I never understood the point of this. What would anyone use this for?

The only thing I can think of is if your bike breaks down you can lock the forks and keep the parking lights/hazards on so no one slams into your bike on the side of the road, and reduces the chances of it being stolen while you hike down the road for help.

The only thing it has ever done for me is piss me off. Turn the key a little too far, and end up stumped on why the lights are on but the bike won't start.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

I did this a couple weeks ago. I rode to work, parked and headed in to the office. When I was walking over to the bike for lunch I thought the tail light looked brighter than normal, I figured it must have been the sun reflecting off of it. When I got to the bike I noticed the headlight was on and sure enough I had set it to the parking light setting. I immediately tried to start the bike to make sure I wasn't going to be stranded and it started right up. It must have been on for at least three and a half hours so I was surprised it started it right up. I make it a habit now to check the key position and headlight as I walk away from the bike now.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bob Sapp Please posted:

The only thing I can think of is if your bike breaks down you can lock the forks and keep the parking lights/hazards on so no one slams into your bike on the side of the road, and reduces the chances of it being stolen while you hike down the road for help.

My manual says it's so you can have your rear lights on while packing up, mounting, dismounting the bike when it is parked on the street at night, which I guess would be useful if I weren't in the habit of starting my bike before doing anything else. Breaking down and not getting the engine to start back up would be the only time I'd use it.

I guess my bike's a little different as the key is low on the right side near the engine and I have a separate lock for my forks up near the steering head.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
my bmw and guzzi both have a "park" mode on the ignition too. turns all the lights on but the headlight. i dunno who the hell can't walk their bike backwards in a parking lot with the headlight on.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

"Is that your crotch rocket outside?

"Yeah"

"Why don't you get a real bike. A harley"

"what"

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I've gotten that. You can guarantee anyone who thinks that... isn't a real rider.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Christoff posted:

"Yeah"

"what"

"Cause I bought a bike to have fun on, not cause I'm having a mid-life crisis."

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Gnaghi posted:

"Cause I bought a bike to have fun on, not cause I'm having a mid-life crisis."

I said "because I wanted a fast bike."

Which probably wasn't an appropriate response. But hey, it's all I could come up with on a whim! Should have said a reliable bike that isn't overpriced for American Pride. :911:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Christoff posted:

"Yeah"

"what"

"Cuz I could only afford one of them, a real bike, or a Harley. Not both."

Dogtanian
Jan 31, 2007

This space intentionally left blank
Had a day of it today. First I somehow managed to ride off without my gloves, got about 300 yards before realising something wasn't quite right. Go back, get gloves.

About halfway to work I hit thick, thick fog and couldn't see my nose in front of my face, then after I'd crawled through that, about two miles from work the bike runs out of petrol.

Joy! I jump off, flick the fuel switch to 'Res' and this accomplishes nothing much at all. It's bone dry. I start pushing the bike into town, practising some of the more obscure swear words I've picked up over the years. Then another biker going the other way sees me, swings around and tells me to jump on the back and he'll take me in to get some petrol. What a sodding superstar. When we get back to my bike he chucks me some bungee cords to attach the jerry can to my pillion seat and asks if I could drop it in with him whenever I get a chance. Gonna buy the guy a bottle of something distilled I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

http://www.mississauga.com/article/25167

http://www.mississauganews.com/article/25200

http://www.mississauga.com/article/25185

Not sure why they kept making new articles. But yeah.