Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

Is there a way, using a CycloDS and 3-in-1 Plus, to transfer a DS save on the Slot 1 cart to its corresponding retail cart?

Eepinator can do this. Put the file on your flash cart, run eepinator, select 'File > DS Cart' and pick the save file. Then swap the cart out for the retail one and press A to replace the save.
You won't even need the 3-in-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Darth l33t posted:

Ah, dammit. I guess there's nothing left to do but beg Team Cyclops to add ROM dumping support to the Evolution itself.

This article has a mirror of the last version of the WiFi backup tool.

I've also mirrored them here.

kode54 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 17, 2009

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

kode54 posted:

That Article posted:

Until recently, it wasn't possible for the common user to dump their own game collection for use with a Nintendo DS flash cart; they were forced to obtain their ROM images from shady sources - enouraging piracy and spreading bad images and even malware that can harm your DS.

:bang:

There were only two pieces of "malware" ever released for DS, one of them was never supposed to be public, and all virus scanners should catch them now. Also, that was four years ago; there hasn't been another (at least not a widely publicized one, which one would expect it to be) since.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dead Alice posted:

Eepinator can do this. Put the file on your flash cart, run eepinator, select 'File > DS Cart' and pick the save file. Then swap the cart out for the retail one and press A to replace the save.
You won't even need the 3-in-1.

Thanks!

edit: oh well it doesn't matter now because I accidentally deleted all of them somehow

gol durn suck a mother

Weedle fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 17, 2009

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

kode54 posted:

I've also mirrored them here.
I already have the most recent versions of all his tools, but thanks. The issue is that I don't have WiFi in my home, and the 3-in-1 backup tool isn't compatible with the EzFlash V -- and probably never will be now, unless Rudolph miraculously decides to update them anyway.

m2pt5 posted:

There were only two pieces of "malware" ever released for DS, one of them was never supposed to be public, and all virus scanners should catch them now.
Virus scanners check for malicious DS code? At any rate, whereas homebrew writers are at least accountable to their handles and the names of their products, backups are essentially anonymous, so I'd really rather make my own if at all possible. Plus, I have saves on my carts that I want to carry over.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Darth l33t posted:

Virus scanners check for malicious DS code?

Only the two known ones. Trojan.DSBrick.A and Trojan.DSBrick.B.

As for "anonymous backups", if any one of them contained malicious code, you can be sure there would be a massive uproar, and a contaminated one wouldn't even reach the masses, or it at least wouldn't be available for very long.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
I just discovered the internet radio abilities of the DSOrganize application and it's amazing (I can finally take the random LoveLine stream with me around the house), but is there any app which lets me browse and download shoutcast stations similar to the DSOrganize's own homebrew database browser?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I just discovered the internet radio abilities of the DSOrganize application and it's amazing (I can finally take the random LoveLine stream with me around the house), but is there any app which lets me browse and download shoutcast stations similar to the DSOrganize's own homebrew database browser?

Holy poo poo, I never would have known about this since I don't really bother with DsOrganize a lot, thanks.

I have no idea how to answer your question. I sure hope someone else can.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Roar posted:

Holy poo poo, I never would have known about this since I don't really bother with DsOrganize a lot, thanks.

I have no idea how to answer your question. I sure hope someone else can.

If all you really want to use it for is shoutcasts, be sure you grab the 3.1129 version and not the 3.2 release (it crashes constantly when listening to internet radio).

SuperSlacker
Mar 11, 2007

I'm wondering if it's possible to to transfer my legit ds games onto a cyclods. If this kind of discussion is looked down upon I understand.

Darth l33t
Jul 6, 2000

SuperSlacker posted:

I'm wondering if it's possible to to transfer my legit ds games onto a cyclods. If this kind of discussion is looked down upon I understand.
It is indeed possible, theoretically. You can do it either by WiFi with one of Rudolph's tools, or with a compatible 3-in-1 device (not the EzFlash V 3-in-1). I'll put up links to the tools later.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Ffffuck. I finally beat Powder, with 37 save-scums. Just because it's cute and adorable doesn't mean it's not a real roguelike. I can't recommend it enough.

Warezd Quake
Jan 18, 2008
You didn't beat it if you're save scumming.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Warezd Quake posted:

You didn't beat it if you're save scumming.

It's all I have, don't take what's left of my dignity :(

VV cockatrices can be easy to deal with if you get Preserve as a spell.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 18, 2009

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

boo_radley posted:

It's all I have, don't take what's left of my dignity :(

Seriously how do you deal with cockatrices, there are always a million of those buggers to my one acid potion and each one has a pretty solid chance to turn you to stone.

... oh wait, you said you save scummed 37 times. I see now!

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
The L button my THIRD loving DS just died on me. It's been partially responsive for the past few days, but today it just doesn't work anymore. Can I open up the DS and play around with anything to make it work, or am I hosed to spending another $150 on a new DS (the warranty is expired)? I've spent $450 on DS units since the classic fat grey, I don't want to spend any more on this poo poo hardware that keeps breaking from semi casual use.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Notebook posted:

The L button my THIRD loving DS just died on me. It's been partially responsive for the past few days, but today it just doesn't work anymore. Can I open up the DS and play around with anything to make it work, or am I hosed to spending another $150 on a new DS (the warranty is expired)? I've spent $450 on DS units since the classic fat grey, I don't want to spend any more on this poo poo hardware that keeps breaking from semi casual use.

You should go complain to Nintendo seeing as how it's the third time it has happened. I mean it would be one thing if it was the occasional once or twice but from the sounds of things you are really having bad luck with them. I don't think there's ever been a time where I had serious problems with my phat's triggers.

Failing that you can always just hock it somewhere and buy a DSi. I wouldn't recommend opening up the unit yourself because I trawled eBay looking for a broken DS to open up for SCIENCE and not only were prices a bit more than I was willing to pay, but I kept running into many auctions where people listed things like, "... I tried to replace the case and now it doesn't work..." "I opened it up and the power switch broke..." "I tried replacing the touchscreen and now it doesn't boot up..." so yeah.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

gently caress me, great timing with Pokemon Platinum coming out soon. I can probably deal without an L button, I guess, but just knowing it doesn't work will bug the poo poo out of me. I wouldn't really even need it in Pokemon, but it makes Nethack and other hombrew unusable.

And to think I actively tried to use the shoulder buttons as little as possible, too, just knowing this would happen... :argh:

Bummey fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 18, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Shoulder buttons don't typically fail due to wear and tear, but actually due to dirt buildup. Sometimes just spraying compressed air into the shoulder button works, but if not you may want to try removing and cleaning the button.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Shoulder buttons don't typically fail due to wear and tear, but actually due to dirt buildup. Sometimes just spraying compressed air into the shoulder button works, but if not you may want to try removing and cleaning the button.

This. The usual problem is that the connector registering the button presses gets dirty. What I do is open the DS, take out the little gray "button" inside which the L/R button is pressing against, and then use some mechanical spray on the socket to clean things up.

nftyw posted:

I wouldn't recommend opening up the unit yourself because I trawled eBay looking for a broken DS to open up for SCIENCE and not only were prices a bit more than I was willing to pay, but I kept running into many auctions where people listed things like, "... I tried to replace the case and now it doesn't work..." "I opened it up and the power switch broke..." "I tried replacing the touchscreen and now it doesn't boot up..." so yeah.
All of those sound like power switch problems, hahaha. If you don't align the power switch button properly before closing the case, it breaks.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, I had the same problem and all I did was lift the button gently, blow in it very hard, and it has worked for a year with no problems since then. Compressed air would be cooler, but I always waste it like a retard when I have it.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Schizoguy posted:

Word Wrap?
Joggle?

Thanks! I'll check them out tonight when I get home.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Notebook posted:

Did you open the slot-2 bay and force air through it (with your mouth)? This pushes gunk out, instead of in like blowing onto the buttons does.

Alternatively, you can give up on the system and mail it to me. :v:

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

This is a great thread, and it moved me to the decision to buy myself a DS at long last. At the moment, I am borrowing a friend's fatty while I wait for the inevitable price drop on the DSlite that the DSi will surely bring.

I bought the DSTT from DealExtreme. I loaded onto it the TTmenu and the Moonshl stuff, as per instructions. It gets to the cute loading screen:

And stays there. I never even get to see the menu.

I'm using a 1gb card. (When I tried using an 8gb card, the DS would not recognise the DSTT at all.)

I researched for hours, watched an innumerable number of poorly-made videos, reformatted, reloaded, tried different combinations of things loaded on, including only the TTmenu, and tried an older version of the kernel. I sobbed, ate chocolate, threw things, and played with kittens. I even tried sleeping, all to no avail.

I also read the first page and the last five pages of this thread. (I wish they'd fix search. It's been almost two years now, that search has been disabled on the SA forums.) If anyone has a clue they don't need anymore, could I have it please? :buddy:

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

Sun Dog posted:

This is a great thread, and it moved me to the decision to buy myself a DS at long last. At the moment, I am borrowing a friend's fatty while I wait for the inevitable price drop on the DSlite that the DSi will surely bring.

I bought the DSTT from DealExtreme. I loaded onto it the TTmenu and the Moonshl stuff, as per instructions. It gets to the cute loading screen:

I'm using a 1gb card. (When I tried using an 8gb card, the DS would not recognise the DSTT at all.)

I researched for hours, watched an innumerable number of poorly-made videos, reformatted, reloaded, tried different combinations of things loaded on, including only the TTmenu, and tried an older version of the kernel. I sobbed, ate chocolate, threw things, and played with kittens. I even tried sleeping, all to no avail.

I also read the first page and the last five pages of this thread. (I wish they'd fix search. It's been almost two years now, that search has been disabled on the SA forums.) If anyone has a clue they don't need anymore, could I have it please? :buddy:

Have you tried the YSMENU yet? It's an indie kernel that is compatible with lots of different cards. I have the DSTT from Dealextreme and YSMENU works perfectly.

Go to the author's site and look half way down the page for "DS(T_T)DS". The link to download is just below that. Hopefully you don't have a bad card. :(

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Sun Dog posted:

I almost wish that you hadn't read first few pages so I had some advice to offer you. Is it just moonshell that freezes, or other files as well?

If your model of DSTT is SDHC compatible (in fact, even if it isn't), the card shouldn't have anything to do with whether the DS reads the DSTT or not. With my cyclo, if the card is taken out or seated wrong, the DS will allow me to load the cyclo which then informs me that there is no memory card inserted. I may be wrong, but I would assume that the DSTT has something similar.

Edit: Yeah, try YSmenu, I've heard great things about it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Scaevolus posted:

Did you open the slot-2 bay and force air through it (with your mouth)? This pushes gunk out, instead of in like blowing onto the buttons does.

Alternatively, you can give up on the system and mail it to me. :v:

My DS and my iPhone are my babies. I keep 'em clean and in working order. Short of performing surgery, there doesn't appear to be anything I can do to fix this sucker. It turns out my warranty is still active according to Nintendo's support department, completely defying the warranty information in my account info. v:shobon:v Can't argue with that.

Looks like Pokemon Platinum will grace the screen of my fat rear end behemoth DS until this one gets back from rehab.

VV Two links in there, folks. Haha, those penguin emoticons own so hard.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 18, 2009

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
^^^^ Forgot to make it 3, even though one was posted before it is continually updated

Tertius Oculum posted:

So is there any good new homebrew out?
Yes

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 18, 2009

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

CaptainPoopsock posted:

Have you tried the YSMENU yet? It's an indie kernel that is compatible with lots of different cards. I have the DSTT from Dealextreme and YSMENU works perfectly.

Go to the author's site and look half way down the page for "DS(T_T)DS". The link to download is just below that. Hopefully you don't have a bad card. :(

I had not tried it yet. I've seen the page, but for some reason, the page is filled with gibberish characters for me, so I never located the link til you directed me what to look for. Thanks!

I apologise for my stupidity, but when I look in the readme, I see these instructions:

quote:

* Install
- for DSTT users
Run ttextract.exe with OFFICIAL TTMENU.DAT.
ttdldi.dat and ttpatch.dat will be extracted.
Copy ttdldi.dat, ttpatch.dat and YSMenu.ini to TTMenu directory in TF.
Rename my YSMENU.nds to TTMENU.DAT and copy it to TF instead of official TTMENU.DAT

What does TF stand for? I figured out to extract TTMENU.DAT from the official download and paste it into the same folder as the extracted YS stuff, and it seemed happy enough with that when I ran ttextract.exe, but I am unclear what to paste where after that. Is it presuming I already have the TTmenu stuff loaded onto the card?

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Sun Dog posted:

What does TF stand for? I figured out to extract TTMENU.DAT from the official download and paste it into the same folder as the extracted YS stuff, and it seemed happy enough with that when I ran ttextract.exe, but I am unclear what to paste where after that. Is it presuming I already have the TTmenu stuff loaded onto the card?

TransFlash- another name for MicroSD cards.

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Gerudo Rivera posted:

TransFlash- another name for MicroSD cards.

Oh, thank you! I should have guessed it from context. I think frustration lowers one's IQ.

I installed YSMENU. I get the same results as with TTMENU.

For reference, here's what's on my TF (hehe usin new word) at the moment:

ttdldi.dat
TTMENU.DAT
ttpatch.dat
YSMenu.ini

gpw11
Oct 22, 2008
In case anyone is interested, Team Cyclops just released a new firmware revision. Better 3-in-1+ support apparently. You can get 1.4 final at their site.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The new firmware (1.54) is exactly the same as the 1.54 beta 4 except it has a couple more compatibility fixes.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I ordered my DSTT about fourteen days ago from DealExtreme and I got it yesterday. I'm not used to international shipping in Australia being so quick :3:

SunDog, you don't have all the files you need on there. Once I either die or get too frustrated with this NetHack dungeon I'll put exactly what you need in your root menu to get it to work; you're missing the actual TTMenu folder that has all the stuff inside needed to run, and you only need one file (TTMenu.dat) in the actual root directory.

Wungus fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 19, 2009

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

SunDog, format your card and extract this exactly how it is onto it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tcj30j

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Whalley posted:

KHAM VITH ME IF YOU VANT TO LIFF.

I'm deeply grateful for the effort you put into helping me, but it didn't work. It should have. The card, I fear, is defective. I submitted a report to DX customer service. Ugh. Took three weeks for the drat thing to arrive from them. I may try to just get a refund, and deal with a more local company.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

oh well that's just supergay

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

^^^^ Forgot to make it 3, even though one was posted before it is continually updated

Yes

Regarding the "e" link in that "Yes" - what kind of routine puts you in a place where you would find a PDF viewer for the DS handy? I use PDFs rarely, and pretty much only when I'm at work. I'm just curious.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Chinaski posted:

Regarding the "e" link in that "Yes" - what kind of routine puts you in a place where you would find a PDF viewer for the DS handy? I use PDFs rarely, and pretty much only when I'm at work. I'm just curious.

e-books often come as PDFs. Sometimes comics do, though cbz seems to be more popular. Speaking of, is thre a CDisplay sort of thing for the DS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

dregan posted:

e-books often come as PDFs. Sometimes comics do, though cbz seems to be more popular. Speaking of, is thre a CDisplay sort of thing for the DS?

Is this what you're looking for?

• Locked thread