Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Was that a half-dragon centaur? What the hell, man, how do the ratios on that even work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Neito posted:

I believe it's already been stated that V won't gain any EXP during the soul splice.

Even if he were eligible, he's effectively level 40 billion or whatever, isn't he?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Commissar Lord posted:

Even if he were eligible, he's effectively level 40 billion or whatever, isn't he?

Yes, so his ECL (effective character level) is way to high to get anything from something the CL of a Dragon.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Ok, so it wasn't all that evil to kill the dragon for threatening his family. But :drat: that is some really evil poo poo V just pulled.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Superstring posted:

Well... well holy poo poo! Did V just extinct Black Dragons?

I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

Technically speaking, every member of a species is related, though the relation can be so distant as to be non-existent. Also, does the husband's family count for the purposes of the spell?

Secondly, V's doing this to protect her family against rampaging black dragons out for revenge. I hardly think that killing off a few dozen in one stroke will leave those remaining with any sort of good will. For lack of a better analogy, V just did a 9/11 on the black dragon population. If there's any left, they are gonna be pissed.

On the other hand, the spell wasn't called Genocide, so I might be barking up the wrong tree.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

ConfusedUs posted:

For lack of a better analogy, V just did a 9/11 on the black dragon population. If there's any left, they are gonna be pissed.

The thought occurs to me that if there is a wizard who can erase my whole bloodline with one spell, and he comes in pulling that poo poo on my next door neighbor, I'm probably going to not go picking a fight with him next!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I didn't think that killing off evil creatures was an evil act? I really don't want to kick off another eight pages of alignment stuff, but wasn't that just a huge net gain for good in their world?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Ashcans posted:

I didn't think that killing off evil creatures was an evil act?

Baby goblins argument.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Ashcans posted:

I didn't think that killing off evil creatures was an evil act? I really don't want to kick off another eight pages of alignment stuff, but wasn't that just a huge net gain for good in their world?

Intent counts, I think. The summary execution of a whole family tree, including children who have probably yet to even perform an evil act (to say nothing of unborn eggs) is hard to put a positive spin on.

Edit: ^^^Yeah that.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Can a paladin just walk into a town, spam Detect Evil, and summarily execute anyone who registers as evil?

No. No he can't. Evil people (and dragons) can still be innocent bystanders.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Still, chances are that offing those dragons provides the world in general with a huge bonus. I mean, dragons in general are pretty parasitic creatures, and Black Dragons are, on a whole, evil to top that up.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
awww, his/her mate calls him/her "Suvie" :kiddo:

bison wings fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 20, 2009

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I'm wondering how deep into non-pure dragons the spell goes. We know it kills half-dragons, but what about people with trace amounts of dragon blood that are distantly related to this one? How many otherwise human(oid) sorcerers are just going to drop dead because of this spell?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

IMJack posted:

I'm wondering how deep into non-pure dragons the spell goes. We know it kills half-dragons, but what about people with trace amounts of dragon blood that are distantly related to this one? How many otherwise human(oid) sorcerers are just going to drop dead because of this spell?

Well, we don't see anyone without a dragon head, but we do explicitly see more than one half-dragon. I think the cut off is probably a direct paternal link to a dragon, or some other means with which to maintain a 50% dragon bloodline.

Basically if their race entry has 'dragon' in the name.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I don't mean to be alarmist, but:

...did he just kill off my favorite villain character?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

bartolimu posted:

Differently colored eyes.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Cabbit posted:

Intent counts, I think. The summary execution of a whole family tree, including children who have probably yet to even perform an evil act (to say nothing of unborn eggs) is hard to put a positive spin on.

Edit: ^^^Yeah that.

I dunno, Redcloak's backstory confirms that paladins in this world can kill off entire goblin villages and maintain their paladin status because the goblins are inherently evil; I think the baby goblin argument's already been covered as far as the OotS campaign setting goes.

Edit: On the other hand, half-dragons aren't inherently evil, so there's a good chance he caught some good creatures in that spell too.

Sefer fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 20, 2009

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I don't know. Dragons are fairly rare, and with how many this strip seems to indicate he killed...maybe he DID extinct Black Dragons. :aaa:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

bartolimu posted:

I was worried about that as well, but I ultimately agree with Brannock. The eyes are the wrong color.

Although it would be pretty funny if, after all the buildup we've had over what the MITD is and how powerful it is, V killed if offhand as a chain effect. 'Oh yea it was a Black Dragon and also its dead. Hah!'.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Still holding out hope that MitD and powered-up V fight.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Rehosting the last update in two parts on waffleimages just in case. :shobon:

Click here for the full 698x1370 image.

Click here for the full 698x889 image.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The Order of the Stick: Beyond Good and Evil

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

terminal mehmet posted:

Baby goblins argument.

Goblins are not "Always chaotic evil".

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

bison wings posted:

ahhh, his/her mate calls him/her "Suvie" :kiddo:

Is there a significance to that?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

terminal mehmet posted:

Is there a significance to that?

It's cute. He should have said "Awwwww", not "Ahhhhh".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nechronic posted:

So what is V's dragon kill count up to now, 63? 64? Do eggs count?
What's your stance on abortion? :crossarms:

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
So, does this thing attack one degree of separation per caster level or something? At what point does it stop being family?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I guess the (unanswerable) question is this: does Familicide require the target to be undead and conscious?

Because if it does, there may be some gray areas with respect to V saying 'I am doing this to protect my family from others of your kind.'

But if it doesn't, V just pulled a purple-veined dick move of cosmic proportions. With all immediate threat past, he yanked the mama dragon out of the afterlife (temporarily, as he inferred that he'd be killing it again momentarily) JUST so that he could torture it, by making it watch him exterminate its entire worldwide extended family.

My "Neutral Evil" radar is pinging.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Holy loving poo poo this comic

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

terminal mehmet posted:

Baby goblins argument.

This always fell apart for me when I considered that the universe contained a narrative law that meant evil creatures will grow up to be evil creatures due to their alignment. Otherwise what's the point of the alignment?

But also, V is going to get one helluva comeuppance for this. I can't see Burlowe giving up the chance to have angry dragons come a-calling, despite how senseless this might be with a little forethought, but the assured damnation (and perhaps rescue arc!) resulting from V's actions will be incredible to watch.

I mean Suvie.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I want to see the Kobold oracle's reaction to this. He gets his powers from Tiamat, so she should be losing her poo poo and as the world's major precog he may be taking the brunt of her rage.

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR
This is one of the most crazy twists i've ever seen. I can't wait to see what happens after this.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
62 dragons (eggs included) died with that little stunt.
If a level 15 PC were to slay 62 dragons, what level would he be after that?

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Calaveron posted:

62 dragons (eggs included) died with that little stunt.
If a level 15 PC were to slay 62 dragons, what level would he be after that?

Probably 16 and 1 xp away from 17. I believe there's a limit in how many levels you can gain from one encounter.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Shavnir posted:

Probably 16 and 1 xp away from 17. I believe there's a limit in how many levels you can gain from one encounter.
How powerful is a level 16 PC in comparison to your average adventuring dude in any other setting?

Sorry for the offtopic but I was curious since I've never played DnD (although that doesn't stop me enjoying the comic).

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
Really just depends. Normal levels go 1-20 but epic rules allow for 21 and onwards. Right now V is rocking like 70+ levels worth of spellcasters which is to say on par with the combat (but not divine) potential of a lot of lesser gods.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
I think 'Suvie' is a very feminine nickname, further cementing my belief that V is a chick. I think my bias in this case is out of reflexive political correctness; it's more progressive for the main party to have 2 female and 3 male characters than 4 males and 1 token female. Also, it's VERY "PC" to have the the female of the pair out questing for magical supremacy while the guy stays home and keeps house.

I'm still not sure where Burlew is going to go with this. The whole 'Vaarsuvius's family is horrified and never wants to see her again' angle makes sense, and that's why I don't think that's what'll happen. It's too predictable.

Here's what I think; Suvie's family will be kind of put off by the horrible violence but mollified all too easily by the fact that only black dragons were killed, since as far as we can see, every member of a 'pc race', heroic or not, has considered "always chaotic evil" monsters to be ok to murder for any reason. This would be a big lampshade on the "player character morality" of the OotS world that Burlew has been driving at for some time. There will be horrible consequences for this whole soul-selling imbroglio, of course, for V, her family, and the other PCs, but I don't think they'll become obvious until later.

Since Vaarsuvius is pretty much my favorite character this whole arc has been both exciting and jarring for me. I love to see V getting a lot of 'screen time' after so much inactivity, but I hate to think that she will only appear as an antagonist from now on.

Also, if you haven't been reading Erfworld, check it out. poo poo just got real. As in, poo poo has never been this real before, and probably never will be again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You know, if a PC in my game set off an avalanche that killed an entire town, he wouldn't get XP as if he'd killed all of those people in a combat encounter. Likewise, he doesn't get XP for killing a million animals by setting a forest fire. I see no reason to treat it any differently because he cast a spell.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Affi posted:

quote:

The reason no one has suggested he read order of the stick is because order of the stick is a terrible, stupid, wall of text, boring, nerd jerk off piece of garbage webcomic that barely qualifies as clip art.
Haha

Who're you quoting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.
Except for the fact that he intentionally killed all of those dragons. The examples you posed were accidental kills or incidental kills, not direct "I'm going to murder every single member of your family." kills.