Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I really love bikers. They really understand that sometimes it's just not your fault when X Y Z happen. They just want to get you back to running(riding) shape.

99% of this community is freaking rad. :bsg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
The fact that the SUV driver was likely at fault isn't the :argh: part of the story, though. This is:

quote:

They say "no witnesses to the collision remained at the scene, despite the dense traffic conditions at the time". Investigators are appealing for witnesses to the come forward.

WHAT THE gently caress PEOPLE? :bang:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Simkin posted:

The fact that the SUV driver was likely at fault isn't the :argh: part of the story, though. This is:

WHAT THE gently caress PEOPLE? :bang:

Get it all the time at work. Tons of people want to be heroes and call 911. Yet no one actually checks on the patient or waits around for police. Got better things to do!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I'm not saying that their should be a good samaritan law or anything, but how loving hard is it to pick the phone up, call the cops, and say "yeah, I saw that CRV run a red and smoke the bike?"

:sigh:

People suck.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Oh California

CA Senate Bill 435

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/sen/sb_0401-0450/sb_435_bill_20090226_introduced.pdf

quote:

On 2/26/09 Senator Pavley introduced a bill that would require bikes of model year 2000 and newer to pass a smog test once every 2 years and upon transfer of ownership

Yeah, it's just proposed. But these are the kind of laws that pass in CA.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Christoff posted:

Oh California

CA Senate Bill 435

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/09-10/bill/sen/sb_0401-0450/sb_435_bill_20090226_introduced.pdf

Yeah, it's just proposed. But these are the kind of laws that pass in CA.

Can a bike pass a smog check NOW? It would be kind of retarded to make every bike for the last 9 years make major modifications.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Can a bike pass a smog check NOW? It would be kind of retarded to make every bike for the last 9 years make major modifications.

It would just make California get the de-tuned/butched version like for cars.

But yeah. I don't see how they could go backwards on models.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Christoff posted:

It would just make California get the de-tuned/butched version like for cars.

But yeah. I don't see how they could go backwards on models.

California already gets the hobbled versions of bikes. Our initial smog requirements are much greater than other states. Only now we'll have to keep all that stuff on instead of ripping it off immediately like everyone does. Personally I'm torn on the law. Part of me thinks its a good idea, and thinks its only fair that motorcyclists do their part to protect the environment also. The other part knows for a fact that his DRZ won't pass because all the emissions stuff has long since been removed. So I guess I'm neutral and will be ok either way. Will suck having to rebuy all the emissions parts if it does pass though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

pr0zac posted:

California already gets the hobbled versions of bikes. Our initial smog requirements are much greater than other states. Only now we'll have to keep all that stuff on instead of ripping it off immediately like everyone does. Personally I'm torn on the law. Part of me thinks its a good idea, and thinks its only fair that motorcyclists do their part to protect the environment also. The other part knows for a fact that his DRZ won't pass because all the emissions stuff has long since been removed. So I guess I'm neutral and will be ok either way. Will suck having to rebuy all the emissions parts if it does pass though.

Well the biggest pain with smog aside from going back to OEM and finding all those parts you probably threw away is just the hassle of it. No one wants to waste their time, money, or effort to do something so menial and tedious. Spend time and money swapping back to stock, waste money on smog, strip it down again and wait 2 years. God forbid you don't pass the first time then I think they flag you to one year.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Or you could just you know, leave it on. The charcoal canisters only effect is two pounds of rubber tubing, and a lower rate of lung disease among people who enter your garage.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Zool posted:

Or you could just you know, leave it on. The charcoal canisters only effect is two pounds of rubber tubing, and a lower rate of lung disease among people who enter your garage.

I think it's more exhaust issues and such.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
Learnt a vital lesson for my future career as a mechanic today. Always check the simple things first.

My bike has been misfiring (either bad spark plug, faulty plug lead, valve clearance or timing, probably timing, going into the shop on friday anyway for a service) so last night I adjusted the idle speed, was running fast, and then had a look at the spark plug, all looked well so I locked the bike up and went to bed.

Woke up this morning and the bike wouldnt start, convinced it was the idle Ii fiddled about with it for half an hour, draining the battery in the process like an idiot, and also messing the idle up even more. Tried to bump start the bike for 25 minutes, in first, second, third but nothing was working, thoroughly pissed off I locked the bike up, then noticed the spark plug lead dangling loosly, I forgot to put it back on.

So I had to bump it again, and do the idle again.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

fronkpies posted:

Always check the simple things first.

Amen. My bike has just started stumbling a bit in the low range, it did last year too and I thought it was fixed. Trying to get all the simple poo poo checked out before I start pondering throwing money at it.

Question in a chat thread: Will a poor battery cause all three of these symptoms?

- Light changes brightness when revving.
- When hot, stumbles a bit up to 3500, seems like less power overall.
- A bit harder to start than usual.

Valves were done last July, only have 4000 mi since then, but who knows...

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Zool posted:

Lung disease builds character. :colbert:

Really I'm more worried about the lack of a cat, the upgraded carb with non-ridiculous leaned out jetting, and the giant air sucking hole in my airbox than the charcoal canister.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Ola posted:

Amen. My bike has just started stumbling a bit in the low range, it did last year too and I thought it was fixed. Trying to get all the simple poo poo checked out before I start pondering throwing money at it.

Question in a chat thread: Will a poor battery cause all three of these symptoms?

Check the battery anyway, but 1 & 3 sound to me like a bad stator. It doesn't sound like it's generating enough current and the bike is running off the battery. Could also be something as simple gunk in your charging system wires. You could try checking the connectors and seeing if they need some cleaning.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

fronkpies posted:

Learnt a vital lesson for my future career as a mechanic today. Always check the simple things first.

Did I tell everybody about the time that I parked a bike for two years, for what I thought was a major engine failure? And it turned out to just be a spark plug that had worked its way loose? And that after the 2 years I tore the engine out of the bike and pulled the head before it occurred to me that I had never had to remove the spark plug? Yeah, check the simple things first.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Ola posted:

Sounds like a charging system issue. Time togo through the stator papers. First thing to check is battery voltage. Then do the ohm testing of the stator itself.

Yes, a poor battery will contribute to that. But a battery poor enough to cause all of that probably wouldn't start the bike in the first place.

Worse yet, is when you have both problems at the same time. ;-) The R/R on my 1983 doesn't put out high enough voltage, so my battery is always on the edge of dead.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Looks like Texas has a lanesplitting bill that actually made it out of committee this year.

I hope it passes!

SB 506:
code:
  	       BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS:
  	       SECTION 1.  Section 545.060, Transportation Code, is amended
  	by amending Subsection (a) and adding Subsection (e) to read as
  	follows:
  	       (a)  An operator on a roadway divided into two or more
  	clearly marked lanes for traffic:
  	             (1)  shall drive as nearly as practical entirely within
  	a single lane, except as provided by Subsection (e); and
  	             (2)  may not move from the lane unless that movement can
  	be made safely.
  	       (e)  The operator of a motorcycle may operate the motorcycle 
  	for a safe distance between lanes of traffic moving in the same
  	direction during periods of traffic congestion if:
  	             (1)  notwithstanding Section 661.003(c), the operator
  	and any passenger wear protective headgear that meets the safety
  	standards adopted by the department; and
  	             (2)  the operator operates the motorcycle:
  	                   (A)  at a speed not more than five miles per hour
  	greater than the speed of the other traffic;
  	                   (B)  in traffic that is moving at a speed of 20
  	miles per hour or less; and
  	                   (C)  in a location other than a school crossing
  	zone or a location where the posted speed limit is 20 miles per hour
  	or less.
  	       SECTION 2.  This Act takes effect September 1, 2009.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Jesus, who said working on bikes was easy? I'm not too mechanically savvy. Just some basic car stuff I've done. Figured I'd save some $ and learn how to work on my bike and take my wheels to get new tires mounted. First off, didn't have the right size for the front/rear axle. Finally got those but I thought I'd be alright with imperial on the front. 'Bout near stripped the thing. No mm size fit. 27 had too much play and would have stripped it more and 26 just almost fit. But I just ended up going with a 26mm and hammering that thing on. (More of a couple hammer taps. Not literally forcing the thing all the way)I think it's the first time it's been removed. So it was on there good.

So finally managed to get the wheels off. Took them and my tires to get mounted. Then I had to piece all the dust covers and such together in the rear. I knew to keep track of them but I ended up cleaning them all and sort of lost track. Finally got that together, then I mounted the rear up again. I still have to adjust the chain and the front nut is still attached. That's going to be fun to get off. Finally went to put the front tires on and was just going by the tread pattern. Almost finished until I realized the arrows were the wrong way. The back seems to go along with the tread but the front looks backwards.

So I had to take that all apart again. Thought I could slip the wheel under the front fender but ended up cracking it. Can't see it though.

Anyways. After some blood, sweat, scratching my wheels a couple times too many, and a couple hours too many. I'm almost done. I'll finish Sunday when I get off work. Need to adjust the chain and look over the drat thing. Will probably have my neighbor check it out, too. I did lube up all the important bits and such. Was there anything I needed to do with the brakes? Like lube the pads or anything? I'll definitely be needing new rear pads but the front look fine. Also, my front seem to restrict the motion of the front wheel a bit much. Is that normal?

Suffice to say I don't think working on motorcycles is for me.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 21, 2009

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Christoff posted:

:words:

If it helps the first time you do something to any vehicle it always kicks your rear end. You'll get halfway through something and run into a problem you weren't expecting. Next time will be easier for you.

However, you shouldn't mix metric and imperial. Just don't do it. You're inviting costly mistakes. Saving the $3 for the proper socket and stripping the poo poo out something you then need to take (tow) to a shop to get fixed is just stupid.

Also do you have a shop manual? The Cylmer manual I just picked up for my Nighthawk is loving amazing. I've owned a handful of Hayne's and Chilton manuals for cars, but this thing takes the cake. Lots of pictures and step by step procedures (which seem idiot proof but I'll be putting them to the test) for everything I'm likely to do on my own. Plus it only covers a single engine type and model generations, as opposed the one I have for my girlfriends Jetta, which covers three different engines and just as many models.

All the reviews I've read of their other manuals seem to point out that all their manuals are like mine, as in it covers your particular bike, not a range of them. Having good instruction when learning to repair/maintain a vehicle is a godsend, and good reference materials prevent stupid, expensive, and dangerous mistakes once you have learned to do something.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Christoff posted:

Jesus, who said working on bikes was easy?
i did. it's fun! :buddy:

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Christoff posted:

Jesus, who said working on bikes was easy?

When I started working on my GSXR, I easily spent 200$ filling out my tools: torque wrenches, breaker bar, metric sockets, hex keys of all sizes, etc. It made it so much easier. My favorite was a 36mm socket for the rear axle nut.

I also "found" a copy of a Suzuki shop manual which was very useful.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Gr3y posted:

If it helps the first time you do something to any vehicle it always kicks your rear end. You'll get halfway through something and run into a problem you weren't expecting. Next time will be easier for you.

However, you shouldn't mix metric and imperial. Just don't do it. You're inviting costly mistakes. Saving the $3 for the proper socket and stripping the poo poo out something you then need to take (tow) to a shop to get fixed is just stupid.

Also do you have a shop manual? The Cylmer manual I just picked up for my Nighthawk is loving amazing. I've owned a handful of Hayne's and Chilton manuals for cars, but this thing takes the cake. Lots of pictures and step by step procedures (which seem idiot proof but I'll be putting them to the test) for everything I'm likely to do on my own. Plus it only covers a single engine type and model generations, as opposed the one I have for my girlfriends Jetta, which covers three different engines and just as many models.

All the reviews I've read of their other manuals seem to point out that all their manuals are like mine, as in it covers your particular bike, not a range of them. Having good instruction when learning to repair/maintain a vehicle is a godsend, and good reference materials prevent stupid, expensive, and dangerous mistakes once you have learned to do something.

Well 26mm didn't fit initially. I do have a shop manual but it's PDF. I looked over it and went back and forth to read it a couple times.

NeuralSpark posted:

When I started working on my GSXR, I easily spent 200$ filling out my tools: torque wrenches, breaker bar, metric sockets, hex keys of all sizes, etc. It made it so much easier. My favorite was a 36mm socket for the rear axle nut.

I also "found" a copy of a Suzuki shop manual which was very useful.

Well I pretty much have everything now but a torque wrench.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
get the torque wrench

two of them (one in foot/lbs and one in inch/oz)

its worth it.

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.
Recipe for a perfectly ok way to spend a saturday evening.

Take one beefy carb:

About 10 feet of ventilation hose, for tonight I have chosen orange:

One beer:

Fit tubing onto the carb while enjoying the delicious ice cold beer :)

Edit: Mission accomplished!

Valfar fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 21, 2009

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, I took my bike out for the first time. I mostly just rode around my neighborhood to get a feel for it. I'm definitely going to have to practice emergency stops since the brakes bite HARD. Just touching them was enough to get me stopped from the 25ish I was doing. Even that half hour I was just riding around was fun. Definitely going to do more tomorrow. :)

Also gonna have to get some bar end mirrors. No matter how I positioned them, I still had my arms filling half the mirror.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 21, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Valfar posted:

Take one beefy carb:

what the hell does one carb need so many tubes for

Simkin
May 18, 2007

How else are you going to get proper beer flow?

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

what the hell does one carb need so many tubes for
And just how would you go about turning into a bong Mr. Dr. Reverend?

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

sklnd posted:

Looks like Texas has a lanesplitting bill that actually made it out of committee this year . . . .
code:
     (2)  the operator operates the motorcycle:
  	                   (A)  at a speed not more than five miles per hour
  	greater than the speed of the other traffic;
  	                   (B)  in traffic that is moving at a speed of 20
  	miles per hour or less; and
  	                   (C)  in a location other than a school crossing
  	zone or a location where the posted speed limit is 20 miles per hour
  	or less.
  	       SECTION 2.  This Act takes effect September 1, 2009.

Is that similar to the statutes in Cali about lane-splitting? I'm referring to the speed limits. Over here (UK) it's at speeds under 40mph and no more than 20mph faster than traffic. TBH I rarely approach those speeds, but it's easier to have a little more speed than just crawling past the traffic.

In other news, I think I'd love to come over there and split on some of your roads. The majority of roads around my local towns hardly have enough room for the car lanes jammed into them, let alone an iterant biker trying to get past.

I have recently learnt to move past the traffic when it's stopped at a pedestrian set of traffic lights, there's never anyone coming the other way as they're all stopped on the other side of the red light. The one thing I have learnt about fighting through traffic is that you should never assume anything that anyone's going to do.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Gr3y posted:

:unsmith:

I dont know what the gently caress I was thinking the first time I took the fairings off the zx600. I saw bolts around the lower fairing, dash, headlight, etc and thought to myself "do kawasaki engineers have little baby hands or something"? I managed to take apart the fairings from the inside out, instead of removing the bolts at the fuel tank and side mirrors and sliding the thing as an assembly off the bike. Made a 5 minute process into a 3 hour process and nearly cracked every fairing.

I came from lots of car work experience and this bike crap still kicks my rear end. Small clearances are always tough to work with and you always manage to find something else that is broken; always

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

dietcokefiend posted:

I came from lots of car work experience and this bike crap still kicks my rear end. Small clearances are always tough to work with and you always manage to find something else that is broken; always

I still prefer bike work over car work despite the clearances. Its much more civilized to sit on a stool smoking a cigarette with the bike on a centre stand in the middle of the garage than stuck under a dark car thats dripping fluids and dropping grit into your eyes.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

8ender posted:

I still prefer bike work over car work despite the clearances. Its much more civilized to sit on a stool smoking a cigarette with the bike on a centre stand in the middle of the garage than stuck under a dark car thats dripping fluids and dropping grit into your eyes.

At least if a wheel flys off my car I wont die after replacing brakes :v:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

and you always manage to find something else that is broken; always

WHY IS THIS SO? :argh:

Colawa
Oct 14, 2006

He came dancing across the water
I just pulled my bike out from winter storage.. I was pretty careless putting it away... I did virtually zero prep and just left it in my moms garage... shame on me, I know

Anyways, I was ready to get what I deserved yesterday when I tried to start it up... it had no juice at all and was having some problems starting at the end of last season, so I gave her a new battery, and she started right up. I love Honda. I changed the oil and filter after I got it warmed up a bit, and that was that.

Just wondering what other things I can and should be looking in to / adding X to/ changing Y out of, etc. New rubber(rear is almost bald) is top of the list, but besides that?

Yes, this is my second season riding.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Orange Someone posted:

Is that similar to the statutes in Cali about lane-splitting? I'm referring to the speed limits. Over here (UK) it's at speeds under 40mph and no more than 20mph faster than traffic. TBH I rarely approach those speeds, but it's easier to have a little more speed than just crawling past the traffic.

In other news, I think I'd love to come over there and split on some of your roads. The majority of roads around my local towns hardly have enough room for the car lanes jammed into them, let alone an iterant biker trying to get past.

I have recently learnt to move past the traffic when it's stopped at a pedestrian set of traffic lights, there's never anyone coming the other way as they're all stopped on the other side of the red light. The one thing I have learnt about fighting through traffic is that you should never assume anything that anyone's going to do.

CA had the restrictions removed at the (quiet) behest of the CHP a few years back. They used to be no more than +15mph, not at over 45mph, and not on one lane roads.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
So I took a journey from my house in Helen, GA to Columbia, SC via 85 north to Greenville and I-26 south. I found it comical how bikers stopped at the border to REMOVE their helmets. A right of passage I suppose. The entire time I was within SC borders I only saw 4 people riding with a helmet on. One guy I saw was riding a Hyabusa without his helmet, which was clipped to the side of his motorcycle. WTF! He wasn't even proficient enough to ride in the 5 mph traffic moving and turning around him. To boot, he was wearing a protective jacket and gloves. I guess they could have a semi open casket for his funeral. Darwin could have a field day in this place. I knew there was no law there, but never had any idea that people were so naive to dangers of riding like that. Competent rider or not... which a good many I saw struggling about were not.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Aflicted posted:

He wasn't even proficient enough to ride in the 5 mph traffic moving and turning around him.

I would love to hear what he did. Also the riding with a jacket and other gear but taking off the helmet, especially on a busa in my opinion, is a classic case of someone riding for the image and the image only. The benefit of living around the 1000s of retards who don't wear helmets let alone gear is that if for some reason you get in reasonable police trouble, they generally compliment you on your gear and will let you slide a bit. I live right over the border of SC so we have a decent chunk of helmet less retards who will flood in, and normally get pulled over immediately.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
Not quite understanding the state codes, but am I right in gathering that you have to wear your helmet in some states but not in others?

Mind-blown. For some reason I'd previously had the assumption that you never had to wear a helmet in the states.

I can't imagine not wearing kit. I mean, we don't have the temperatures that you guys can have, but it's bleeding windy at speed, and the jacket and gloves make it comfortable.

vvv I've come off 3 times, but only at low speeds and I've never managed to hit my head in the process. But I was more thinking of the normal squid who thinks they'd never crash. Even for those people, gear makes you more comfortable. And a helmet reduces wind noise, stops your eyes drying out, makes sure you can see and keeps you more warm.

Orange Someone fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

Orange Someone posted:

I can't imagine not wearing kit. I mean, we don't have the temperatures that you guys can have, but it's bleeding windy at speed, and the jacket and gloves make it comfortable.

Same, and if you have ever came off a bike its then you realise what wearing all this stuff does for you, especially the helmet.