Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma
Welp! I think I'm going to take the plunge and ask my girlfriend of about 1.5 years to marry me. We're both in college right now, both originally class of 2010. She's graduating a year early, and I a year late....so I figured I should lock this up before she moves home a little while away to start her career.

For our class graduation rings, our school has a big giddup over it, including a very nice, very formal "Ring Dance". I think I'll drop the bomb during, maybe after, the ring dance.

Anyways, here are my questions: Would it be overly gaudy to ask her during this "ring dance"? Should I have a friend tag along with a camera to record it (I'm POSITIVE she'll say yes)?

Special Question: What do you guys think about using a family heirloom? (I'm aware of the "beware if it doesn't work out argument.) My mother and I had a talk last week, and she gave me my great-grandmother's first wedding set to use if I desire. We're both broke students, and she's said that she doesn't care what the ring costs, she just wants one (IE-Taking me to loving walmart to point out $125 rings that she'd like). The ring was given originally back in the 1920's, is 14k white gold, and has a small (but flawless) solitary diamond in the center of the set. Anyways, the reason I ask is this: I personally think that recieving such a piece would mean a lot, but I'm not sure how girls would feel. Would the typical woman want her "own" ring, and not a family hand me down? While I think she would appreciate the motions and the history involved with giving her this ring, I'm interested in hearing what you all have to say about it.

Bean_ fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 17, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Bean_ posted:

Anyways, here are my questions: Would it be overly gaudy to ask her during this "ring dance"? Should I have a friend tag along with a camera to record it (I'm POSITIVE she'll say yes)?

Special Question: What do you guys think about using a family heirloom? (I'm aware of the "beware if it doesn't work out argument.) My mother and I had a talk last week, and she gave me my great-grandmother's first wedding set to use if I desire.

Sounds like a nice time to do it. Cameras are always great, you will thank yourself in 50 years at your anniversary party when you have a picture of the MOMENT..

I still reference a photo from the day I met my fiance 8 years ago. Its cute knowing thats the moment it all started.

Next, if you are sure she's the one, what's the problem with the heirloom?

Finally, I'm obliged to mention that you should be careful you are getting married for all the right reasons. Doing so just to keep the relationship together seems a bit desperate. Make sure its 100% for love and for the rest of your life.

In my case, we did split up after college. But then got back together towards the end of grad school when we both realized we missed what we had. I can say with 100% confidence that if we had not split up I would not have gone away to school, something I would have regretted to this day.

What I'm getting at is make sure you aren't limiting yourself (or her career) because of fear of losing her.. If it was meant to be it will be.

Sneaky Monkey
Jan 12, 2007

Beware of Hug Ninja. Trespassers will be hugged.

Bean_ posted:

Questions

Have you talked with her family about it? It's possible they may have an heirloom of her relative they'd like to pass on to her, so even if it doesn't work out, you haven't lost an heirloom from your family, and she gets one that may mean a lot to her. My mother passed her engagement ring to my father onto me and my hubby-to-be. A friend of ours who's getting married this summer got the ring he gave her from her grandfather. Basically, family heirlooms are 100% fine for a ring, but it'll be even more meaningful if it's from her family.

As for the where and pictures, go for it. I agree with FidgetyRat, mementos are great. Have your friend be a bit subtle in filming/photography so it's not obvious right away what's going on, though. If he's clinging to you two like glue, it's gonna be obvious something's up. Have a time or signal set up ahead of time so they know exactly when to be there for the moment.

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
this title is custom-made!

Bean_ posted:

heirloom ring

Most of the women I know would love something like that, but it's completely a matter of personal preference, and you know her better than we do. Also, I don't think it would be as much of a question for you if you stopped referring to it as a "hand me down." It's not a used accessory, there is symbolism and meaning and history.

I'd say give her the heirloom, but let her know (later) that if she doesn't like it, you won't be offended about getting something else. On that note, even if it does mean a lot to you that it is a family piece, don't be offended if she wants to geet something else. This is something she'll be wearing on her hand every day for the rest of her life. Don't guilt her into wearing something she doesn't like. Is it at all like the ones she pointed out earlier? Because if it is completely different, (ie. she picked out nothing but yellow gold with colored stones or something) you might want to reconsider.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Wench posted:

Long distance, Chicago advice

Thanks for replying! I'm glad to hear that you were able to do the planning with just a few trips home. We're going home after the semester to feel out some venues...I feel like picking one will be the hardest part and then everything will be downhill from there. Probably not true, but that's how it feels right now.

A question that immediately came to mind though: was the wedding planner necessary? I wasn't planning on having one because it seems like a good place to save money. I = poor. How much planning did your planner do and do you think you could have gone without?

I'll IM you (my AIM is predictably Kiri koli) if I ever get a chance. Grad school is killing me right now. How am I supposed to plan a wedding when I can't even get my homework done?!

Bean_
Oct 6, 2006

by Ozma

McDougirl posted:

Also, I don't think it would be as much of a question for you if you stopped referring to it as a "hand me down."

Haha, yeah. I know what you mean, but I'm not really viewing it like that. I just wanted to be objective for the write-up. I personally think she should/will like it. :)

quote:

I'd say give her the heirloom, but let her know (later) that if she doesn't like it, you won't be offended about getting something else. On that note, even if it does mean a lot to you that it is a family piece, don't be offended if she wants to geet something else. This is something she'll be wearing on her hand every day for the rest of her life. Don't guilt her into wearing something she doesn't like. Is it at all like the ones she pointed out earlier? Because if it is completely different, (ie. she picked out nothing but yellow gold with colored stones or something) you might want to reconsider.

This I'm not too concerned about. Like I stated earlier, she said she'd be happy with a cheap walmart ring. Everytime she'd bring it up, I told her I wanted to wait until I could afford to get her something nicer. This ring is not too far off from what she would want IDEALLY, as she wants something similar, but more contemporary/bigger stone.

Recently we've talked about getting her something small to start with, just to officially dub her as mine, and then when funds are available later, maybe 5 years into the marriage, I can go and get her a bigger, more exact, ring of her choice.

---
Thanks for the input thus far, everyone!

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Bean_ posted:

Haha, yeah. I know what you mean, but I'm not really viewing it like that. I just wanted to be objective for the write-up. I personally think she should/will like it. :)

This I'm not too concerned about. Like I stated earlier, she said she'd be happy with a cheap walmart ring. Everytime she'd bring it up, I told her I wanted to wait until I could afford to get her something nicer. This ring is not too far off from what she would want IDEALLY, as she wants something similar, but more contemporary/bigger stone.

Recently we've talked about getting her something small to start with, just to officially dub her as mine, and then when funds are available later, maybe 5 years into the marriage, I can go and get her a bigger, more exact, ring of her choice.

---
Thanks for the input thus far, everyone!

If you want to, ask the store if they do diamond exchanges and how much will they take the diamond back for (full, or percentage of the value on market/bought at time) so you can maybe keep the option of getting her a bigger rock(s) down the road.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat
Okay, we've sorted out our alcohol plans (I hope).

While we're off getting our photos done, we'll serve punch (alcoholic and non) and appies.

Then red & white wine and water at each table during dinner

After dinner, the bar will be open for domestic beer, house red and white wine, and some sort of signature cocktail. People can pay for anything else.

Would anyone be totally offended by some part of this plan?

RedFish
Aug 6, 2006
..blue fish, one fish, two fish: blue fish need not apply.

LittleCat posted:

While we're off getting our photos done, we'll serve punch (alcoholic and non) and appies.

After dinner, the bar will be open for domestic beer, house red and white wine, and some sort of signature cocktail. People can pay for anything else.

This sounds like a great idea. No one is being excluded unless they turn their noses up at what you're offering them. If they want a $80 scotch instead of wine, beer, or the signature cocktail, then they can bloody well buy it themselves.

People are there to celebrate you and your marriage, not get hammered on your dime. If anyone feels like your wedding is their entitlement to get hammered on your dime, DTMFA.

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

LittleCat posted:

Sounds fine. When a couple of friends of mine got married last year (they did a buffet dinner, with some tables to sit at, but no assigned seating), they just had I think two reds and two whites at the bar, along with a keg or two of beer that was free, and then after the toast there was free champagne.

We all had a rockin' good time, and I almost got thrown into the fountain. Nobody was offended by the lack of selection, so I think you'll be fine.

GoreJess posted:

Personally, I think this would be great. If he doesn't go for seersucker, at least get him in a light colored suit. Linen would be really great too.

I definitely want him in a light suit, and I might see if I can pull off linen with him, we'll have to see. I'm going for a kind of laid back springtime garden tea party type thing, with me in a shorter dress, my bridesmaids in simple dresses, simple flowers, and him in maybe a light gray suit or something like that.

I just really wish he'd go along with the seersucker.

Wench
Aug 8, 2000
MONITOR != TOUCHSCREEN. DO NOT TOUCH THE MONITOR

Kiri koli posted:

A question that immediately came to mind though: was the wedding planner necessary? I wasn't planning on having one because it seems like a good place to save money. I = poor. How much planning did your planner do and do you think you could have gone without?
She came with our venue, so we didn't so much have a wedding planner, as someone at the venue who handled every aspect of the reception venue for us. Since our reception venue's wedding package includes meals, bar, cake, etc., her job was to coordinate all of that, and make sure everything the night of went off without a hitch at the venue. She didn't do any of the planning around the dress, church, or anything like that - just coordinated everything at the reception venue.

We did not hire a separate "wedding planner", and honestly? We didn't need one. Planning the wedding was pretty low stress, I have to say. Then again, neither of us is in school, so that probably helps - we had a bit more spare time on our hands!

Emilar
Jun 19, 2006
Oh snap!

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

So this weekend is my wedding weekend. My fiancee and I are so excited it all finally came together and we've got nothing left to do this week (other than get married). And we saved a tonne of money by:

- Using our ipod (or a backup laptop) to play the music instead of a DJ. My brother is the 'AV' guy to make sure the music plays properly
- Having my friend who is a photography nut take the wedding pictures
- Making/Printing our own invitations/website
- Getting the banquet room at the hotel comped (because we're having it in march)
- Keeping the number of guests at 40
- Having the ceremony in our parish
- Finding an AWESOME florist who gave us the best deal on "cherry blossom" flowers and table arrangements.

All in all (as the man) I was happy with the final cost of everything and it all working out in the end.
Hope your wedding goes well! Just curious, what exactly are the "cherry blossom" flowers your florist is providing? Cherry blossom tree branches or...? They are my favorite type of flower (even have a tattoo with cherry blossoms), so I'd love to know.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
Invites!

These are just the reception-- I left the ceremony at home. But you get the idea. We have a separate ceremony & reception invite because our ceremony is very small and our reception is very large. So some people get all three pieces and they're just paper clipped together.

Again, if anyone is needing invites designed, my MOH does freelance nationally. No idea what her rates are like, but I do know she loves weddings. She's nearly a professional Maid of Honor by now.

Yes that is my name.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zap actionsdower! fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 19, 2009

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

zap actionsdower! posted:

Yes that is my name.

Coolest.Name.Ever.

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
It went by too fast

Anyone in the western mass area should consider holding their reception at the Amherst Woman's club. Having an event in a historic house = no such thing as a bad picture.

Boy was it sad taking off my dress.. I want to wear a red crinoline under everything :3:

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat
zap actionsdower! - I love your invitations. They look much better on paper than they did in the proofs you posted earlier. So stylish!

Tatiana - I'm having one of those "I need that dress" moments and it's probably a good thing that mine is already bought, paid for, and altered. You look gorgeous in it.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Emilar posted:

Hope your wedding goes well! Just curious, what exactly are the "cherry blossom" flowers your florist is providing? Cherry blossom tree branches or...? They are my favorite type of flower (even have a tattoo with cherry blossoms), so I'd love to know.

Probably pear or apple blossom (or so we've been told) since it's illegal in DC/NoVa to cut cherry blossoms. We have branches for our centerpeice on the card/gift table (large) and just the blossoms floating in our center pieces (I think)

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Okay, our plans just hit a wild curve.

We're planning on moving (several states away) in the very near future, and after talking it over, we've decided that it makes more sense to be married before the move. Among other things, it will ensure that I'm covered under my fiancee's insurance when we move (her job is transferable, mine may not be).

The plan right now is to just do a simple justice of the peace type ceremony next month, then have a more traditional ceremony, possibly renewing our vows, after we move and get settled. We're both okay with this, but family on both sides is kind of freaking out, which is making things stressful for us.

That said, I'm pretty sure we are moving forward with this. I don't really know what the next step is, though. Who do I contact to set this up? What do I need to do in advance? Oh my god I'm going to be married!

Emilar
Jun 19, 2006
Oh snap!

brc64 posted:

We're planning on moving (several states away) in the very near future, and after talking it over, we've decided that it makes more sense to be married before the move. Among other things, it will ensure that I'm covered under my fiancee's insurance when we move (her job is transferable, mine may not be).

The plan right now is to just do a simple justice of the peace type ceremony next month, then have a more traditional ceremony, possibly renewing our vows, after we move and get settled. We're both okay with this, but family on both sides is kind of freaking out, which is making things stressful for us.

That said, I'm pretty sure we are moving forward with this. I don't really know what the next step is, though. Who do I contact to set this up? What do I need to do in advance? Oh my god I'm going to be married!
It sounds like you should be looking into a courthouse ceremony. The first step is to look up the details on your county's web site, or wherever the details of how to get a marriage license are located.

Or do you want your ceremony outside the courthouse?

RedFish
Aug 6, 2006

brc64 posted:

This is what we did, because we're an international/immigration couple. We had to get married immediately after our paperwork was approved and I entered the US, and rather than getting in a flap about it, we just got a quickie legal deal done and told everyone that we'll have the 'real' wedding in a few years.

It cost us $35 for the judge fee and the certificate/license, and it took less than 3 minutes for the judge to marry us. Easiest way ever!

I'd say let your families know that you don't consider this the 'real' wedding, this is just legal BS you've got to get out of the way before you move. In your (plural) eyes, the 'real' wedding will be when you stand up in front of your families and friends and declare your vows in front of them.

Also, doing it in stages like this has made us refreshingly blase about the actual wedding. The cake not arriving is not going to ruin 'our day'.

Ojo
Jul 4, 2003

Well... when I said that I had a plan, I meant that I have to plan... the plan.

Tatiana posted:

It went by too fast

Anyone in the western mass area should consider holding their reception at the Amherst Woman's club. Having an event in a historic house = no such thing as a bad picture.

Boy was it sad taking off my dress.. I want to wear a red crinoline under everything :3:
I love the way that dress looks. You look fantastic. :)

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Emilar posted:

It sounds like you should be looking into a courthouse ceremony. The first step is to look up the details on your county's web site, or wherever the details of how to get a marriage license are located.

Or do you want your ceremony outside the courthouse?
We're fine with a courthouse ceremony. I'll see what I can look up.

RedFish posted:

I'd say let your families know that you don't consider this the 'real' wedding, this is just legal BS you've got to get out of the way before you move. In your (plural) eyes, the 'real' wedding will be when you stand up in front of your families and friends and declare your vows in front of them.
Yeah, this is the stance we're taking. I think some of our family members are just a little bit shocked by the sudden change in plans (I can't say I blame them). I think they're slowly starting to come to terms with it. My mom wants to throw a big party more for the fact that I'm going away than anything, so we'll see how this plays out. We do still intend to have a "formal" ceremony at a later date.

My fiancee was a little nervous when she called her mom last night. I was listening in and the conversation started along the lines of "Hey mom, so we decided we're going to elope"

I don't recommend starting a conversation with those words. :v:

zman8
Dec 21, 2002
I don't need a quote!!

brc64 posted:

With respect to the insurance issue, see if your provider allows for "Domestic Partnerships" to be covered. That is how my fiancee and I are getting by until the wedding.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

I can't tell you how many times I've almost considered just doing the court official paperwork in advance of the actual wedding.. Mostly for convenience, especially that her healthcare is free and mine isn't!

Nothing wrong with getting married in the state's eyes, then getting "officially" married in friends/family/<insert God>'s eyes on the real date.

Yoga
Jul 2, 2007

brc64 posted:

We're fine with a courthouse ceremony. I'll see what I can look up.

Yeah, this is the stance we're taking. I think some of our family members are just a little bit shocked by the sudden change in plans (I can't say I blame them). I think they're slowly starting to come to terms with it. My mom wants to throw a big party more for the fact that I'm going away than anything, so we'll see how this plays out. We do still intend to have a "formal" ceremony at a later date.

My fiancee was a little nervous when she called her mom last night. I was listening in and the conversation started along the lines of "Hey mom, so we decided we're going to elope"

I don't recommend starting a conversation with those words. :v:

We got engaged on Christmas eve and were planning a wedding for September, but decided about a month ago that we didn't want to do the big wedding thing. The reactions were a mixed bag, for sure. From my dad telling us that it was a smart move, to my future MIL crying and asking if it was her fault for offering to bake the cake.
We're going down to the courthouse week after next and then having a nice dinner with a bunch of friends. I am really looking forward to it. I was so stressed out about the "big" wedding.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

zman8 posted:

With respect to the insurance issue, see if your provider allows for "Domestic Partnerships" to be covered. That is how my fiancee and I are getting by until the wedding.
We actually looked into that, but for the amount of things required to qualify for a domestic partnership, we decided it just made more sense to get married.

Yoga posted:

We got engaged on Christmas eve and were planning a wedding for September, but decided about a month ago that we didn't want to do the big wedding thing. The reactions were a mixed bag, for sure. From my dad telling us that it was a smart move, to my future MIL crying and asking if it was her fault for offering to bake the cake.
We're going down to the courthouse week after next and then having a nice dinner with a bunch of friends. I am really looking forward to it. I was so stressed out about the "big" wedding.
We're getting mixed reactions right now as well. It's complicated, somewhat, by the fact that I'm from Indiana (where we presently live) and she's from Texas (where all her family lives). We were always going to have complications due to that anyway. Her mom seems to have trouble accepting this mostly because she's a preacher and seems to think we need to have a preacher marry us to be legit or something.

My mom, on the other hand, is busy trying to plan a big party (we don't want a big party), although her excuse makes a bit more sense. Once we're married and I'm covered by my fiancee's insurance, there is nothing to keep us from moving to Texas (aside from waiting for her job transfer to go through). So my mom wants to invite my friends and extended family in the area as a "going away party". We're fine with that, but as long as it's solely billed as such.

After we've moved and settled in (probably still looking at some time next year) we fully intend to have a more traditional "wedding" ceremony in Texas. We'll dress up, have cake, send out invitations, everything. This is why we don't want to have any big fuss now. It's hard to get that point through sometimes, though.

My head is spinning!

Oh gently caress I'm going to be a husband. :aaaaa:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm starting to shop around for a ridiculously overpriced little piece of shiny stuff for my girlfriend and she doesn't know yet. I came in to A/T and checked for a thread and found this so it looks like I should ask here.

School me on my diamond choices.

First off I've been to 3 local places so far with several more I want to check first, and have gotten a decent lesson on color/clarity and grading and all that jazz, so I think I know about the kind of stone I'm looking for.

The one that really caught my eye as being fantastic happened to be at Shane Co. Which, according to the OP, I should avoid due to cost, etc. Plus the fact Shane filed for Chapter 11, however according to the people who worked there they told me that it will not affect future establishment of the business. However forewarned is forearmed.

However, the one stone I reeeally liked down there was as follows: 0.53ct, color E, clarity I, brilliant round. Price was $1370 for the loose stone. I understand I is lower on the clarity grade, but I looked at it under the loupe and could only find one occlusion that was off to the side that wasn't really noticeable by the naked eye. This diamond just exploded with light, and was extremely 'bright' for lack of a better term.

The next stone I looked at was 0.44ct, color D, clarity SI-3, brilliant round. Cost was $1320 or something, it was close in price to the larger one. This one had a couple of tiny tiny bubbles in it according to the loupe, which were just barely noticeable with the naked eye due to location.

Either of these diamonds set in a white gold solitaire ring, combined with the wedding band that had 2 sapphires and 2 small diamonds that wraps around the solitaire engagement ring after tax came out to about $2200.

At another location there was a .56ct, color G, clarity SI-2, brilliant round already set in a ring for $2100, but that doesn't include a wedding band.

Third location had a .47ct, color G, clarity SI-1, brilliant round loose stone for $1300, on sale for $1080.

I understand that once you get past a G it's practically impossible to tell the color grading apart, especially if you don't have the diamonds sitting next to eachother. However, after looking around at what I've seen so far I could definitely see the color difference between D/E and a G. I'd also like to be able to get a 0.50ct stone or larger. I know that you visually won't really be able to tell the difference between a 0.48ct and a 0.52ct, but it's kind of a personal pride thing to me to be able to say that it's a half carat and mean it. Also, I wish I could go with a much larger stone, but realistically there's a lot left to purchase so that's why I want to get the biggest, brightest one that I can for within my budget.

My girlfriend has told me that she's really inexpensive to impress but that's not the point. I want to make sure I get the right stone.

All that aside, the reason I think we're ready is for our 1 year anniversary I got her a very elegant white gold band with tiny little diamond chips in it, something sparkly because I thought it was pretty. She had it sized to her right ring finger but now all she does is wear it on her left. I asked about it one day to see why and she asked me if I was afraid of commitment, to which I replied no, I'd rather just get something appropriate if that's where you want it. She laughed and reminded me to ask her dad first. To me, that's kind of saying she's interested.

What else should I be looking at? I kind of know the kind of stone I want to get, am I on the right track? I want at least 0.50ct, color F at the very lowest.

RedFish
Aug 6, 2006

brc64 posted:

My head is spinning!

Oh gently caress I'm going to be a husband. :aaaaa:

Meh, don't look at it as the 'real' wedding, then. We jokingly call it our 'ceremony of cohabitation' because Texas has/had some wacky laws about living in sin and poo poo. We are legally permitted to live and :quagmire: in any state we choose now, otherwise it's no different. We neither think of one another as husband and wife nor refer to one another that way unless necessary.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Our ceremony is in May because that's the only time we can take a vacation, and the only time his brother's family could join us.
We're getting legally married next week, because we're moving in together at the end of March. It's better for our parents, better for taxes and health insurance, and good to get out of the way before the ceremony. So we'll be at city hall next Tuesday. I bought a new dress and expensive shoes for the occasion.

In the Japanese Buddhist calendar there's a cycle of every six days with different levels of luck. Our legal registration (3/24) is on Taian, and our family ceremony (5/4) is in the morning on Sensho. That's as religious-y as we're going to get.

It's printed on all Japanese calendars, and in my schedule book, but this website is the clearest online version I can find.

http://www.seiyaku.com/customs/rokuyo.html posted:

先勝 Sensho - Good luck in the morning, bad luck in the afternoon
友引 Tomobiki - Good luck all day, except at noon
先負 Senbu - Bad luck in the morning, good luck in the afternoon
仏滅 Butsumetsu - Unlucky all day, as it is the day Buddha died
大安 Taian - 'The day of great peace', the finest day for ceremonies
赤口 Shakku - Bad luck all day, except at noon

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

For us, it was funny how things worked out.. We got engaged last March and the wedding is this July, so figure we had about a 1.5 year engagement.

Initially she wanted a real traditional larger wedding. The economy was still good and we were planning to live in our current apartment for many years to come..

Now a year later, the economy is in the shitter, we're just about to sign a contract on a house, and both of us would have just eloped had we known what will happen in the future.

We got lucky in that we're building a home and the down payment is made now up front, and the rest of the closing/etc are all probably in august AFTER the wedding, so financially its safe, but still really tough.

I guess I'm just trying to say that you never know where you will be in 1 year, so don't go too overboard. If we didn't have approximately another 10k we'll need to put down on the wedding before july, we could have used that to increase our down payment.

Silver String
Jun 15, 2005

Psylocibe posted:

What else should I be looking at? I kind of know the kind of stone I want to get, am I on the right track? I want at least 0.50ct, color F at the very lowest.

Seriously, just copy and paste your whole post over on the pricescope.com forums. Those people know everything there ever was to know about diamonds, and they do nothing but think about this poo poo all day long.

It sounds like you've done lots of thinking about the stone, but do you actually know what type of setting she likes? For me, this would be as important if not more so than the stone choice. Some guys choose to get a very simple, cheap solitaire setting to present the rock with, then let the girl have a hand in choosing the "real" setting later. I personally think this is a great idea, but you know your girl best.

Also, if I were you I wouldn't worry about getting the wedding ring along with the engagement ring. She may not want a matchy-matchy set, or if the wedding ring is to fussy she may want something plain for every day. You can always go back and buy the matching wedding ring later if she likes it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

nmarie33 posted:

It sounds like you've done lots of thinking about the stone, but do you actually know what type of setting she likes? For me, this would be as important if not more so than the stone choice. Some guys choose to get a very simple, cheap solitaire setting to present the rock with, then let the girl have a hand in choosing the "real" setting later. I personally think this is a great idea, but you know your girl best.

Thanks for the other info, will do that but I figured I'd post a reply to this bit right here. I've seen all of the rest of her jewelry and all of it is white gold, some has sapphires, but all of it is very refined and elegant looking. Nothing huge or flashy, and I feel confident I'll be able to pick something out to match.

I went to one other place yesterday that had probably the best looking stone yet. I kind of feel you need to pick the stone then pick a ring to match, based off of what I know about her jewelry I really want it to have some fire.

This stone I saw yesterday just exploded with white light. It looked like there were little silver and white needles all through the diamond, which the lady said had something to do with a narrower cut to the facets on the bottom part.

Info was .56ct, E, SI-2, GIA certified. Cost was $1512 for the stone which was a little more than I wanted to spend for just the rock, but really it was the best looking one I've seen yet, even compared to the larger .60+ct diamonds I was looking at. Looked at it under the glass and it looked near flawless (yes I understand flawless is a real grade, I'm just saying to an untrained eye it was fantastic).

I'll go check on the rest of that, thank you.

Locutus of Borg
Feb 24, 2007

You will respond to my questions.
Welp I'm engaged, probably have the strangest situation of many here
Just a year ago I was failing out of school and moving back in with my parents. Soon after I took a seasonal job in July and I worked with a lot of foreign people on J1 visas. I started dating a girl from the Philippines. Her visa expires in October.

So, we decided to get married in August, giving enough time for all the post-marriage paperwork to go through and allow her to go home in November (and reclaim the $20,000 collateral her parents posted against her visit, to ensure her return) and then return here to stay with me.

I still live with my parents and after my job ended in January I have been looking desperately. Even though my job search is coming to an end (3 successful interviews last week, the first I've been given since the economy tanked) we still realize that we are going to be crushed for money if we try to move in together and make this work from the start. She doesn't blame me for failing to find a job as she's come with me on several of my job-hunting adventures, during which I apply for between 5 and 15 jobs, depending on how many managers I get to talk to and try to persuade to interview me immediately.

I had explained to her how we couldn't stay at my parents house or be married but not live together, because in America when you marry, your former immediate family starts coming second to your "new" immediate family, etc. I was sure my parents would never agree to let us stay with them, and I would never think to ask, given how strange it would feel. Well, I guess I'm going to feel a little strange because they *offered* to let us stay until I am able to find a job and finish school, and we are both able to get out together (about a 1 year timeframe we're talking here).

I agreed to take that offer because I would rather be able to marry my fiancee and be with her, than take a chance on getting her a K-1 engagement visa after November, spending 2-3x as much on immigration paperwork doing so. The fact is I am not self-motivated, without her in my life I know I will never finish school or work hard enough to really do well. Together we will be able to, I am sure.

And what really kicks rear end is that this situation is totally normal in her culture, and even though I've explained it is unusual here and makes me feel like kind of a failure for having to live with my parents as a married man, she is just very supportive and happy that we won't be struggling to pay rent working entry-level jobs.

The wedding will cost about $400
http://www.jpboating.com/weddings.htm
That, plus drinks and wedding cupcakes on the beach for a group of maybe 25.

The engagement ring? She said to be cheap and when I swore I would get a real diamond, she said don't waste my money. I found a 1/10 carat diamond at Walmart's website for $100. It's small, but a cute ring and she loves it, and at least the diamond is real, despite being low-quality. Not until after I bought it thinking that pretty much everyone gives their future wife a diamond did my mother tell me that she didn't get a ring at all, and never cared. The one I used to see her wear was a fake she bought on QVC a few years after being married.

After all the discussion of hiding it and just going to a JP, or waiting until after November and chancing it on a K-1 visa to bring her back, we're just both really happy to be sure that this will work.

Locutus of Borg fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 20, 2009

DubDisciple
Jan 9, 2005
Jah Jah never fail I yet

Locutus of Borg posted:

J1 skank
be sure she isn't subject to 212(e)

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
Psylocibe: PM

Borg: Are you forseeing any great difficulties in the marriage/green card process? A friend of mine married a foreign national and her green card took 9 months from submission to approval.

Locutus of Borg
Feb 24, 2007

You will respond to my questions.

DubDisciple posted:

be sure she isn't subject to 212(e)

Lucked out on that one, I was getting all the poo poo together to apply for a waiver and I saw on her DS2019 form and then on her I-94 that she is not subject. I guess interexchange doesn't let anyone come with government funding, they only take wealthy students that can post massive collateral to ensure their return.

JohnnyRnR posted:

Borg: Are you forseeing any great difficulties in the marriage/green card process? A friend of mine married a foreign national and her green card took 9 months from submission to approval.

Besides money? Not really. Since the 2-year home residency requirement doesn't apply in this case, and I've already spoken with an immigration lawyer to find out exactly how to fill out, package and present the forms that we will need (complete with cover letter), I don't have any doubt that she will ultimately be able to get her green card. 9 months isn't bad, I guess it can take over a year, but in the meantime the applicant is considered paroled into the US and can apply for permission to work and reenter without a visa. In fact, when you file an I-485 you don't have to pay the fees to file the 2 forms required to get a work permit and a travel document.

Beside that we're playing by all the rules, there's no lack of evidence that I have known her and been seeing her as often as humanly possible for all this time.

Locutus of Borg fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 21, 2009

DubDisciple
Jan 9, 2005
Jah Jah never fail I yet

Locutus of Borg posted:

Lucked out on that one, I was getting all the poo poo together to apply for a waiver and I saw on her DS2019 form and then on her I-94 that she is not subject. I guess interexchange doesn't let anyone come with government funding, they only take wealthy students that can post massive collateral to ensure their return.
There's skills list on top of govt. funding. But if the DS-2019 says no, you can trust it. Just a tip for your future marriages, don't trust the visa or I-94.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Locutus of Borg posted:

Immigration
Just wanted to say best of luck! We just married on the K-1 last week and are getting ready to file for adjustment of status, so I feel your immigration pain. If you haven't already, make sure you check out https://www.visajourney.com. It was awesome to be in a community of people filing with the same circumstances who could give advice on all the paperwork and procedures, although the site has its fair share of idiots. We didn't use a lawyer, and we were approved in record time thanks to all the great advice there.

The rest of our Barcelona elopement pics are in! Since so many people are talking about eloping in this thread, I thought I'd share a bunch of pictures to show how fun yet traditional it can be. We were able to fly to Spain, fly in a makeup artist and photographer from London for their services, stay in a 4 star hotel for 6 nights, book tickets for at least 3 different tourist attractions, attend a classical music concert at a major venue and have a 5 course gourmet dinner + flamenco show on the night of our wedding for less than $3500. And that was essentially the wedding + honeymoon. Oh, and did I mention we met on SA? Who would've thought...

Some dress detailing:

Ceremony:

Park where the ceremony was held:

Around the city:
Fun fact: Farlopa = Spanish slang for cocaine!

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

amethystbliss posted:

Just wanted to say best of luck! We just married on the K-1 last week and are getting ready to file for adjustment of status, so I feel your immigration pain. If you haven't already, make sure you check out https://www.visajourney.com. It was awesome to be in a community of people filing with the same circumstances who could give advice on all the paperwork and procedures, although the site has its fair share of idiots. We didn't use a lawyer, and we were approved in record time thanks to all the great advice there.

Yes! Visajourney rules. I would never have been confident assembling all the paperwork for the I-129F were it not for guides and great advice presented by their forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SterlingSylver
Feb 20, 2007
Hey folks, couple quick questions about some of the sites listed in the OP. When talking over engagement rings with my girlfriend, we've more or less decided on a range of diamonds that would work (.75-1ct, F color or better, etc...). We're also not thrilled by the idea that this stupid hunk of carbon will help fund the general loving up of the continent of Africa. Does anyone have any direct experience with the Brilliant Earth website listed in the OP, or with buying diamonds of Canadian/non-conflict origins in general? We love the idea, but we're not sure where to go from here. We're also a tad sketched at the idea of ordering online. I have a good idea of what styles and settings would work, but I'd like to see them up close.

Also, what's a reputable process for figuring out ring size? She does a lot of work with her hands, so we're concerned with swelling, circulation, etc... We went to one of the mall jewelers to browse their (awful) selection, and they gave about 5 opinions as to what ring size would be appropriate. How awful is it to resize if she decides it's uncomfortable?