Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
The new Marvel lines are ridiculous. I briefly thought about picking up a Deadpool today, but $8.50 for a 3" figure? gently caress that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Fuckin nice Blue Hal dude.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Well at this rate my Metallo will never be complete :( At least I got my #2 fig I wanted from the set (Riddler).

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Has anyone run across a LCBS that takes a new figure, opens the package carefully to remove the BAF piece, reattatches the cover, knocks a couple bucks off the price, then puts it on their shelf? I was out of town this weekend and I like to check other stores for a little variety when I can, and one store I stopped at did this with any figure they had that had BAF pieces in it. Plus, they were right next to a TRU, and it was pretty obvious they were going over, buying figures on new shipment day, and putting them back on sale in their store.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

^^Haha, that's so hosed

Prototypes from wave 2 of the 5" Mario vinyl figures have been released. I like that scale better, so I'm glad they're continuing it as well. I'm psyched about Wario and Peach

Are the new Marvel Universe figures not moving in anyone else's part of the country? The pegs at Wal-Mart have been full for a few weeks now, just collecting dust. Hopefully they'll go the way of the Indiana Jones line and they'll knock the price down over the summer. I'd pick up a few for $5 each, but $8.50 is absurd.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Fish Of Doom posted:

Are the new Marvel Universe figures not moving in anyone else's part of the country? The pegs at Wal-Mart have been full for a few weeks now, just collecting dust. Hopefully they'll go the way of the Indiana Jones line and they'll knock the price down over the summer. I'd pick up a few for $5 each, but $8.50 is absurd.

They are moving pretty fast down here in the Dallas area from what I have seen. Usually the stores might have one or two MU figures left from cases and all of the non-Wolverine toys from the Origins line seem to go pretty quickly.

I picked up the TRU exclusive pack with Wolverine on a motorcycle and Jim Lee Sabretooth today, and the Sabretooth is probably the best 3 3/4 scale figure they have made yet.

I'm enjoying the MU line since they fit in easily with all of the other Hasbro lines and I have alot of fun setting up toy scenes with lots of different figures. I have bought a few of the Deadpools so I can make a Deadpool skrull army.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Fish Of Doom posted:

^^Haha, that's so hosed

Prototypes from wave 2 of the 5" Mario vinyl figures have been released. I like that scale better, so I'm glad they're continuing it as well. I'm psyched about Wario and Peach

At the same TRU I mentioned earlier they were mostly sold out, just a couple spidermans and x-force wolverines (with machine gun and red katana) were still there. Honestly the ones I saw didn't look terrible, but I'm not paying $8 for them. I'd buy the poo poo out of them if they were $5-$6 but that extra $2 adds up and puts it over the top for me.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Fish Of Doom posted:

Cool Wario and Peach. I swear I saw a Waluigi somewhere

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

I saw the Marvel Transformers Crossovers figures in the Wal-Mart here the other day and HOLY gently caress! $15 for a toy? Granted, they look like they're built more like the old-school Transformers (sturdy), and they look cool, but drat, that's a hefty price tag. I noticed they had both green and gray Hulk tanks and the War Machine color scheme Iron Man. Are the gray Hulk and WM scheme Iron Man variants? Also, I can't loving believe they made one for Carnage, and why is Thor an Osprey?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

ManiacClown posted:

I saw the Marvel Transformers Crossovers figures in the Wal-Mart here the other day and HOLY gently caress! $15 for a toy? Granted, they look like they're built more like the old-school Transformers (sturdy), and they look cool, but drat, that's a hefty price tag. I noticed they had both green and gray Hulk tanks and the War Machine color scheme Iron Man. Are the gray Hulk and WM scheme Iron Man variants? Also, I can't loving believe they made one for Carnage, and why is Thor an Osprey?

The Transformer Crossover toys in general are just disturbing to me. I got one of the Star Wars ones and I just can't figure out why they made them. It is neither a good Transformer nor a Star Wars toy.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Djarum posted:

The Transformer Crossover toys in general are just disturbing to me. I got one of the Star Wars ones and I just can't figure out why they made them. It is neither a good Transformer nor a Star Wars toy.

"Now son, you can pick one toy"

"But dad I want a transformer and an Iron Man!"

"No you bratty little poo poo just one!"

"I hate you dad you suWHOAAA A TRANSFORMING IRON MAN"

Keep in mind that a lot (most) of toys are designed to sell to children, not big man-children (me) buying them for their collections.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Djarum posted:

The Marvel ones at least look decent in robot mode and are far sturdier.

Cap and Thor are the only ones I'm interested in, though I haven't seen them much of anywhere. I got Cap, but I thought Thor was an A-10 Warthog, not an Osprey? Also they made Carnage only because he was an obvious and easy repaint of Venom.

I liked Cap, even though he's nowhere near approaching the quality of any of the standard Transformer figures currently out. Also (and partly because of that) the price is kinda disturbing.

The instructions were also worth dog poo poo for telling you how to transform it properly.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:
Custom Figure Question:

Ran into a problem trying to take out a Legendary Heroes Super Patriot's arm: the main shoulder joint is hard plastic and won't come out for anything. Any other methods besides heating to get it out, save for popping open the chest?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Donde Esta posted:

Custom Figure Question:

Ran into a problem trying to take out a Legendary Heroes Super Patriot's arm: the main shoulder joint is hard plastic and won't come out for anything. Any other methods besides heating to get it out, save for popping open the chest?

Are you just trying to take the arm off to use for a Bucky custom or something? It should just boil and pop right off. I tend to use a blow drier or heat gun instead of water. If the arm isn't coming off then it is just not hot enough yet.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Djarum posted:

Are you just trying to take the arm off to use for a Bucky custom or something? It should just boil and pop right off. I tend to use a blow drier or heat gun instead of water. If the arm isn't coming off then it is just not hot enough yet.

Actually wanted to replace it with Cable's left arm, but I don't think it's a ball joint, I have a feeling it's a disk or something. It's not the soft plastic; Cable's arm popped out like butter after 15 seconds of a blow dryer, this guy withstood like a minute + lube.

I don't have a dremel with me, so getting the chest open is going to be a blast.

AlkalinePunk
Oct 2, 2003

Your Mix: INFERIOR! Soundwave's Best of Emo: SUPERIOR!
My Wal-mart got a poo poo ton of the new DCUC wave, I got Booster Gold variant and Flash, but they had everything it was pretty :coal:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

What's the Booster Gold variant?

I got one and its kinda lame, the preview pics showed Skeets opening up but the actual toy is solid plastic and attached to his back with some little plastic "swoosh" effect.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Travis343 posted:

What's the Booster Gold variant?

I got one and its kinda lame, the preview pics showed Skeets opening up but the actual toy is solid plastic and attached to his back with some little plastic "swoosh" effect.

There is "classic" Booster with the collar and a non-opening Skeets, and "modern" Booster with no collar and an opening Skeets that reveals Mr. Mind inside. I believe they are packed 50-50, but the modern one is considered the variant.

I'm dying to find Beetle and Booster in a store after the Corner Store Comics clusterfuck. Where have they been showing up?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I found the whole set minus Barda at a Wal-Mart. Blue Beetle is really great. I'm not even that familiar with the character but it's such an awesome toy.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Yup, looks like Wal-Mart is the place to get that wave. My TRU had them out, and then pulled them for some random reason. I got Aquaman and the variant Booster today. Also noticed my local Fred Meyer has the newest wave too.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.

Djarum posted:

The only decent Star Wars crossover is the Death Star, and even that isn't that good. I've owned that thing for about a year and I still can't get it properly transformed

The Marvel ones, however, are much better. The Hulk in that line is great, and beats out several mainline Transformers

LightsGameraAction posted:

The instructions were also worth dog poo poo for telling you how to transform it properly.

Transformers instructions have been pretty bad for ages. Basically, twist everything until it looks and feels right

Also, incidentally, I found the Wolverine movie figures over my end, in Australia. Seeing as they are the exact same price as Star Wars, Transformers Basic/Scout/Activators, and what little GI Joe stuff that trickles through, I picked up Deadpool and promptly gave his sai to a Starwars droid I picked up a few weeks back

Australian prices are effing expensive. I picked up Iron Monger for cheaper than Deadpool or the droid, and yet he's twice their size

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

ManiacClown posted:

and why is Thor an Osprey?

An Osprey with a Hammer

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Satch posted:

An Osprey with a Hammer

I dunno, storm god, storm clouds, it kind of makes sense. I mean, about how many characters can you really say "Oh yeah, that guy's definitely an SUV/fighter jet/4X4?"

I haven't been into Transformers since I was a kid, but I have to say the robot Thor is pretty snazzy-looking, especially the Nordic runes they detailed its "cape" with.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

For the love of god someone find me the rest of the DC Wal Mart wave. It's apparantly done shipping and was a short run :argh:

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.
I snagged the Orion and Lightray two pack at a TRU today. I love it, but I do have a question. Is Orion supposed to bend at the waist and sternum? Mine won't move, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was to keep the astro-harness in one piece.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

This isn't "technically" an action figure, but it's pretty badass so I thought I'd share. I scored a vintage wacky wall walker in original packaging today. Anyone have the faintest notion of what these things are worth? There are no real vintage ones on Ebay right now and Google is a bust.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

z0rschach posted:

For the love of god someone find me the rest of the DC Wal Mart wave. It's apparantly done shipping and was a short run :argh:

Yeah, I saw it in its entirety and then it was gone a day later. I wanted a Riddler.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Cap and Thor are the only ones I'm interested in, though I haven't seen them much of anywhere. I got Cap, but I thought Thor was an A-10 Warthog, not an Osprey? Also they made Carnage only because he was an obvious and easy repaint of Venom.

You know, it's entirely possible I misidentified the aircraft. He might be a Warthog, but aren't they a bit wider?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

ManiacClown posted:

You know, it's entirely possible I misidentified the aircraft. He might be a Warthog, but aren't they a bit wider?

Crossover Thor: http://i.marvelousnews.com/g/index.php?mode=view&album=2008_SDCC%2FTransformers%2F&pic=159.jpg&dispsize=600&start=0

A-10: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:A-10_Thunderbolt_II_In-flight-2.jpg

Osprey: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Aircraft.osprey.678pix.jpg

He's definitely an A-10, an extremely poorly camoflouged one, but an A-10.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

He's definitely an A-10, an extremely poorly camoflouged one, but an A-10.

Who needs camouflage when you're the God of Thunder Robots?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Jet Ready Go posted:

Who needs camouflage when you're the God of Thunder Robots?

True, I just find it funny that while some of the paint jobs actually make sense with the vehicle modes, Human Torch, Cap, and Thor were all pretty blatantly made to make the robots look spot on and to hell with the vehicle mode looking at all consistent. Johnny at least has a consistent vehicle mode paint job but then you realize his vehicle mode is a jet that's on fire.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Johnny at least has a consistent vehicle mode paint job but then you realize his vehicle mode is a jet that's on fire.

Sounds like a Michael Bay wetdream

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

The Action Man posted:

I snagged the Orion and Lightray two pack at a TRU today. I love it, but I do have a question. Is Orion supposed to bend at the waist and sternum? Mine won't move, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was to keep the astro-harness in one piece.

Not sure, but if it's not supposed to be stuck like that, call and complain. I bitched about my Hal Jordan and they're sending me a voucher.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.

Gramps posted:

This isn't "technically" an action figure, but it's pretty badass so I thought I'd share. I scored a vintage wacky wall walker in original packaging today. Anyone have the faintest notion of what these things are worth? There are no real vintage ones on Ebay right now and Google is a bust.

Oh man I loved those things. Is it just a lump of sticky now?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Vaporware posted:

Oh man I loved those things. Is it just a lump of sticky now?

No actually, it's perfect as far as I can tell. It's pretty much exactly as I remember them. I'm not going to open it obviously. I'm just mega stoked that I found one- and for super duper cheap. Some dink is selling old knockoffs in new repro packaging for like $45 apiece on ebay so I shudder to think what this one's worth.

LtCrowley
Oct 13, 2008

by elpintogrande
Cheers for the custom painting tips guys, the figures turned out great.
I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advice on creating clothing for figures; I've got a huge (30-40 cms tall) Hellboy comic book version figure that I'm making a custom outfit for but my attempts at creating a trench coat are sucking badly.
Thoughts?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Learn to sew, read up on how real clothes are made and then scale it down appropriately?

Honestly, that's really all I can think of. I imagine making a trench coat for an action figure isn't much different from making a trench coat for a human, except for the size. I imagine the materials, cut, fit, and patterns would essentially be the same (exaggerated action figure proportions aside).

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Learn to sew, read up on how real clothes are made and then scale it down appropriately?

Honestly, that's really all I can think of. I imagine making a trench coat for an action figure isn't much different from making a trench coat for a human, except for the size. I imagine the materials, cut, fit, and patterns would essentially be the same (exaggerated action figure proportions aside).

The toughest part about making doll clothing (I dont sew.. but on observation) is that you have to find unnaturally thin cloth.

If you were to (for example) take cloth from a shirt you used to wear and scaled down, cut out and did the whole sewing thing on it, the cloth would be way too thick and would lay badly on the figure.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
Since I don't even know where to look for figure rumors, does anyone have any info on Battlestar figures yet to come? There's still some serious gaps, and with the series at an end...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Hey toy fans, you might enjoy my latest custom job as seen in this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3102544