Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
In fairness they are nowhere near as bad as they were in the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Well my personal situation is far from secure right now, so just having any guitar is good enough right now. Either I'll have to leave it behind when I move on, in which case el cheapo is best. Or I'll be sticking around the place where I want to be, in which case I'll be upgrading to something sexier at which point I'll most definitely be badgering you guys for suggestions.

Right now my ear is not good enough to tell the difference between the budget guitars, but as I fell asleep on the sofa with the guitar still in my hands apparently I'm bonding with my new toy quite nicely.

I like being able to post in a musicians' forum. I feel slightly more awesome even just from owning a guitar.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
You'll probably be fine but the point was that for the same price you could have gotten something much better.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Good luck with playing, Parkingtigers! With any luck you'll awaken your latent Gear Acquisition Syndrome and you'll be posting in this thread every month :v:

Cybbe
Mar 3, 2009
I just got me one of these

A Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz pedal.
Heard a lot of good about it, and tried it today at my dealer. Fell in love with it really, especially at the price these things go for. Now I just need to learn how to use it :v:
drat you GAS.

[edit: I'm apparently too stupid to make the picture work in the first try.]

Cybbe fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 20, 2009

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
I've played some pretty good Squiers so you never know. But yeah, people say that Xaviere and Agile are much better for the money, and I believe them.

krisis
Oct 25, 2003

i have a light case of asparagus.
Ibanez RGA42

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

Getting this has made me realise how much I missed hardtail guitars.

Seymour Duncan Blackouts set.

Also it reminded me that gloss finish guitars are never gonna look dust free (without an hour of polishing).

Edit: I can highly recommend the blackouts. It's truly an active pickup compared to the EMG which is more like a transducer with an op-amp attached. Responds well to dynamics like a passive pickup, but still has the gain you expect from an active pickup

krisis fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 20, 2009

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

krisis posted:

Ibanez RGA42

Getting this has made me realise how much I missed hardtail guitars.

Seymour Duncan Blackouts set.

Also it reminded me that gloss finish guitars are never gonna look dust free (without an hour of polishing).

well?

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I bought a PRS Santana SE a while back (the original incarnation of the PRS SE series; don't mind the endorsement, it's a very very well made guitar). All the PRS SEs I've played have been.

Normally I just ignore the tone control on guitars unless I want to play jazz, but the tone control on this one seems to do something way different than normal tone controls. I just noticed today when I happened to fiddle with it.

I also can't really seem to find a wiring diagram for it. I'll probably take it apart within a few days and take a look if nobody knows anything.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

ZombiePeanut posted:

I bought a PRS Santana SE a while back (the original incarnation of the PRS SE series; don't mind the endorsement, it's a very very well made guitar). All the PRS SEs I've played have been.

Normally I just ignore the tone control on guitars unless I want to play jazz, but the tone control on this one seems to do something way different than normal tone controls. I just noticed today when I happened to fiddle with it.

I also can't really seem to find a wiring diagram for it. I'll probably take it apart within a few days and take a look if nobody knows anything.

I used to just keep the tone controls on my Strat at 10 all the time but lately I've been fiddling with them and I find it can be useful if you sort of want to flatten out your tone a little bit. For example for the intro to Vultures by The John Mayer Trio I usually drop it down to about 5 or 6 and I think it sounds a little better.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I failed to find anything and took it apart. Things do seem a bit different in there. The tone is wired really strangely. It doesn't seem to feed back into the signal path at all. Also the volume control has a small cap between two of the terminals.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rashomon posted:

I've played some pretty good Squiers so you never know. But yeah, people say that Xaviere and Agile are much better for the money, and I believe them.

Agreed. For the money, a Squier is the best quality and most versatile guitar you're going to be able to impulse buy at a retail Guitar Center. My advice? Show up when they open and play test every Squier in the shop until you've found the one diamond in the rough at that store, and then buy it shortly before closing time. The Squire affinity Tele I ended up buying for $179 back in 07 is 90% as good as most any MIM Telecaster you can buy off the shelf for almost double the cost. I was in Parkingtiger's position when I bought my Squier and it ended up as a good initial investment. You can always upgrade later, and squiers don't lose much of their value in the meantime. Too bad the Epi Les Paul Series 100s are now $300, at $230 they were a steal (my second guitar).

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Agreed. For the money, a Squier is the best quality and most versatile guitar you're going to be able to impulse buy at a retail Guitar Center. My advice? Show up when they open and play test every Squier in the shop until you've found the one diamond in the rough at that store, and then buy it shortly before closing time. The Squire affinity Tele I ended up buying for $179 back in 07 is 90% as good as most any MIM Telecaster you can buy off the shelf for almost double the cost. I was in Parkingtiger's position when I bought my Squier and it ended up as a good initial investment. You can always upgrade later, and squiers don't lose much of their value in the meantime. Too bad the Epi Les Paul Series 100s are now $300, at $230 they were a steal (my second guitar).

There's a subtle but important difference between regular Squires and the ones that come in the "Strat Packs".

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Please enlighten me; I wasn't aware of the difference but now that you mention it, it wouldn't surprise me. I've never played a strat pack squier.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
The ones in the packs are made of plywood and pretty much are the worst of the worst. As opposed to say, the Classic Vibe Squiers, which are pretty excellent.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
I just picked up one of these:

Should be in sometime next week. Ive been looking to get into using one of these compressor guys, the diamond is supposed to be one of the more transparent and "smooth" compressor.

Ill send out a report when it comes in

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I've got a hurtin' for the Diamond Comp myself, actually. A guy on HC posted some good guts of it front and back so I was thinking about trying to just make one but it's got a lot more going on than I think I ought to get into.

Let me know how you like it when you get it in.

Edit: Hadlock, unless you managed to buy the Best Squier Affinity Tele Ever Made and have only played some really poo poo MIMs, you're fooling yourself as to the quality of that guitar. And for the money there's better. The more expensive Squiers are respectable imports, but the Affinity series are a scant step in quality above the Strat Pack starters, certainly not nearly the level of quality you can get with a MIM instrument.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 21, 2009

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Agreed posted:

Hadlock, unless you managed to buy the Best Squier Affinity Tele Ever Made and have only played some really poo poo MIMs, you're fooling yourself as to the quality of that guitar. And for the money there's better. The more expensive Squiers are respectable imports, but the Affinity series are a scant step in quality above the Strat Pack starters, certainly not nearly the level of quality you can get with a MIM instrument.

Oh, there are a ton of equal or better quality deals online that are infinitely cheaper than what you can buy retail. No argument there. I won't argue that my Tele is as nice as a MIM, and of course I'm biased but Squiers vary widely in quality, and yes I really did have the store open 8 boxes before I found the one I liked. Six were trash and one was decent but had a black pickguard (I wanted white).

The XV-560 Series for $280 shipped is pretty drat incredible. I might have to check one of those out and sell my series 100. I'm a little skeptical that it's a solid quilted maple top; more likely a quilted maple veneer on top of solid maple. It's still ridiculously pretty though.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Hadlock posted:

I'm a little skeptical that it's a solid quilted maple top; more likely a quilted maple veneer on top of solid maple.
The phrasing here notes that it is a solid maple cap but the quilt is only a top (veneer):

quote:

A SOLID 3/4' highly carved maple cap sports a highly figure Quilt Maple top

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Bought a new set of flats, and this to lock away my guitar so no one fucks with it when I don't want them to. SPDT Keyswitch.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
HEADS UP to my fellow forum members.

Today only (Sat, 21st), BYOC effects is running a sale through axeandyoushallreceive.com where if you purchase one pre-built BYOC effect, you get a 2nd unassembled kit of equal or lesser price for free. Check site for details but it was TOO good for me to pass up. Soooo......

I have a BYOC Analog Delay pre-built pedal and an unassembled BYOC E.S.V. Tonebender clone kit with NOS OC75 germanium diodes on its way to me. Next up, I think I need something like an ISP Decimator to kill some of the noise I'm getting in my signal chain now.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Catastrophe posted:

HEADS UP to my fellow forum members.

Today only (Sat, 21st), BYOC effects is running a sale through axeandyoushallreceive.com where if you purchase one pre-built BYOC effect, you get a 2nd unassembled kit of equal or lesser price for free. Check site for details but it was TOO good for me to pass up. Soooo......

I have a BYOC Analog Delay pre-built pedal and an unassembled BYOC E.S.V. Tonebender clone kit with NOS OC75 germanium diodes on its way to me. Next up, I think I need something like an ISP Decimator to kill some of the noise I'm getting in my signal chain now.

What are you using to power them? I found that my BYOC and GGG pedals created a lot of buzz, until I got good power brick from GGG to replace my crappy Ibanez supply (which still works fine for my digital pedals).

e: Also, I'm pissed I missed that deal :(

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

Parkingtigers posted:

first guitar

nooo pick up a cheaper hobby while you still can
love,
your bank account

congratulations

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Has anybody heard these Fender Band-Master VM amps? On the one hand, everywhere it's listed says that it's a tube head from Fender that's under $1000, but on the other hand, I can't help but feel like this is fender's attempt at a Line 6...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
A line6? You mean excellent and affordable hardware modellers? :confused:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Fender has made a few forays into the multi-preamp amplifiers before. The notable among them were the CyberChamp, analog preamps with digital switching (current gen are digital modeling preamps with tube power sections) and the SuperSonic, which have switchable preamps derived from the Bassman and Vibrolux, respectively, if I remember correctly. I've got a friend who went to NAMM and he reported that they were really cool sounding, apparently they have a pretty unique design? I don't know, someone with direct experience might be able to help you more.

Stux posted:

A line6? You mean excellent and affordable hardware modellers? :confused:

for me to poop on

just kidding

Agreed fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 23, 2009

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

Agreed posted:

Fender has made a few forays into the multi-preamp amplifiers before. The notable among them were the CyberChamp, analog preamps with digital switching (current gen are digital modeling preamps with tube power sections) and the SuperSonic, which have switchable preamps derived from the Bassman and Vibrolux, respectively, if I remember correctly. I've got a friend who went to NAMM and he reported that they were really cool sounding, apparently they have a pretty unique design? I don't know, someone with direct experience might be able to help you more.

I own the SuperSonic, and the thing is a tone monster. You're right about the Vibrolux and the Bassman as well. The two amps are totally different beasts and they do such an astounding job at jamming them into one amp.

Stop Motion Dong
Jun 11, 2007
Man, looking through this thread makes me wish I had infinite money to spend on gear :(

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Okay, I'm torn. I've got a guitar on hold at a local GC, a Gretsch Tennessee Rose. It's used, so they have to hold it until the 29th. However, I was touring the local shops this weekend and found just the most amazing loving strat I've ever played - and I've played a lot of strats. I just can't get it off my mind. Problems are twofold: 1. I already own a G&L Legacy and Fender AVRI 57, so I'm actually well set on strats right now, even though this one is better. 2. It's a Custom Shop Fender and costs $2,300.

I think whether I end up with the Gretsch or the Fender will depend on how much of my poo poo sells between now and the 29th.

This vs This (but in Fiesta Red)

schizorage
Dec 26, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

Okay, I'm torn. I've got a guitar on hold at a local GC, a Gretsch Tennessee Rose. It's used, so they have to hold it until the 29th. However, I was touring the local shops this weekend and found just the most amazing loving strat I've ever played - and I've played a lot of strats. I just can't get it off my mind. Problems are twofold: 1. I already own a G&L Legacy and Fender AVRI 57, so I'm actually well set on strats right now, even though this one is better. 2. It's a Custom Shop Fender and costs $2,300.

I think whether I end up with the Gretsch or the Fender will depend on how much of my poo poo sells between now and the 29th.

This vs This (but in Fiesta Red)

Get the Gretsch. Nothing comes close to that sound.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I've been playing a good amount of guitar lately, and have finally reached my mental breaking point w/r/t the stupid Lo-TRS II bridge on my RG.

RGA121 for $700 at MF? Or an RG2120X with piezo Edge tremolo for $1100?

I wish there was a hardtail Prestige RG with piezos.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

warwick5s posted:

RGA121

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

schizorage posted:

Get the Gretsch. Nothing comes close to that sound.
Also if you really want the custom shop, sell the other strats (which probably won't be played ever again) and use those sales for the custom shop.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Angry Justin posted:

I own the SuperSonic, and the thing is a tone monster. You're right about the Vibrolux and the Bassman as well. The two amps are totally different beasts and they do such an astounding job at jamming them into one amp.

I was actually talking about the amp he was referring to, the new Bandmaster VM or whatever it is re: my friend at NAMM having liked it. I have a lot of personal experience with the SuperSonic, and yeah, that thing is a statue to the gods of rock. Killer, killer, killer amp, my favorite modern Fender for sure. Amplitube Fender by IK models the thing superbly well, too - here's a track I recorded using the SuperSonic's dirty channel for everything. Captures the responsiveness and dynamics of the real deal very well, in my opinion. SCN-equipped strat into Amplitube Fender Supersonic for all guitar... 1986 Mississippi-made Peavey Fury P-Bass clone :rock: into the Sunn-inspired Bassman 300 model for the bass. EZdrummer handled the drums for me, with the help of the excellent Groove Monkee drum libraries.

scuz posted:

Also if you really want the custom shop, sell the other strats (which probably won't be played ever again) and use those sales for the custom shop.

Sometimes a poster solves your problem with the perfect advice. This is that time, man. Do it, do it, do it. I'd take a production G&L over a production Fender any day, but the Custom Shop is still something special and your hands weren't lying to you when they were begging you to buy it. Get the Gretsch, sell your strats, get that strat - you'll be a happier man.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 23, 2009

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Agreed posted:

Do it, do it, do it.

Musician's Lounge: Sage advice, or horrific enabling?

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Hubis posted:

What are you using to power them? I found that my BYOC and GGG pedals created a lot of buzz, until I got good power brick from GGG to replace my crappy Ibanez supply (which still works fine for my digital pedals).

e: Also, I'm pissed I missed that deal :(

I currently have two BYOC pedals I built myself (Triboost and 'Ross' Compressor clone) and just use 9V batteries. I found adapters too noisy myself and, even though they cost more, just stick with batteries because of how they add zero noise.

And MAN can a boost pedal eat through batteries..

Now I need to sell my Zvex Fuzz Factory to fund that purchase. Anyone want it?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Catastrophe posted:

I currently have two BYOC pedals I built myself (Triboost and 'Ross' Compressor clone) and just use 9V batteries. I found adapters too noisy myself and, even though they cost more, just stick with batteries because of how they add zero noise.

And MAN can a boost pedal eat through batteries..

Now I need to sell my Zvex Fuzz Factory to fund that purchase. Anyone want it?
I'm pretty sure I WANT it, but I haven't even gotten a chance to use the Wasabi Distortion that I got from DrChu. What does the slap echo do on that thing anyway? I dunno was a slap echo is.

Also I should have checked my mail on Saturday because my tax refund was in it and could have afforded the BYOC deal :smith:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

warwick5s posted:

I've been playing a good amount of guitar lately, and have finally reached my mental breaking point w/r/t the stupid Lo-TRS II bridge on my RG.

RGA121 no question.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

scuz posted:

What does the slap echo do on that thing anyway? I dunno was a slap echo is.
It produces a near-immediate, one repeat echo at about half the volume of the original note. Its more noticeable on cleaner settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

warwick5s posted:

Ignore what I'm about to say if you aren't comfortable with tweaking Floyd setups, or if you don't have a really good tech to set your poo poo up for you.

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here and say 2120x. If you want tuning stability, not even a fixed bridge can beat a properly set up and maintained edge. The good ones will literally not go out of tune unless you break a string. The 2120x has a bigger neck than any other RG so keep that in mind, but it also has a fatter tone. They sound phenomenal- especially if you have a separate signal path for the piezos.