Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Most of the no helmet guys I've talked to dislike being told what to wear rather than the helmet itself. Not one of them mentioned reduced visibility, reduced hearing, etc. They just don't like being told what to do.
I can sorta understand the logic in wanting less laws on the books but grinding my face off down the highway is not a really good counterpoint to the argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wearing a helmet in a no-helmet state is a much better statement about freedom and self responsibility.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

fronkpies posted:

Same, and if you have ever came off a bike its then you realise what wearing all this stuff does for you, especially the helmet.

I wonder how often the penultimate thing to go through someones brain is "poo poo... helmets!".

The ultimate thing to go through their brain, of course, is a chunk of their skull.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
The thing is, even in places that have helmet laws, people like this will seek out the most retardedly inadequate helmet that complies with the statute. In BC, you're compelled to wear a helmet, but everything up to and including a tiny fuckign skullcap is acceptable. Too bad wearing something that doesn't even come down to your ears will do gently caress all in a crash. :bang:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Simkin posted:

The thing is, even in places that have helmet laws, people like this will seek out the most retardedly inadequate helmet that complies with the statute. In BC, you're compelled to wear a helmet, but everything up to and including a tiny fuckign skullcap is acceptable. Too bad wearing something that doesn't even come down to your ears will do gently caress all in a crash. :bang:

Two of my cousins from North Carolina bought giant Harleys a few years back. Their helmets had stickers on the inside that said "Novelty Use Only". Sigh.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Orange Someone posted:

I can't imagine not wearing kit. I mean, we don't have the temperatures that you guys can have, but it's bleeding windy at speed, and the jacket and gloves make it comfortable.

I don't understand this either. Maybe I ride too fast but at my regular speeds my eyes would be watering from the wind and I'd be deaf from the wind noise. A nice full-face makes riding so much more civilized.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
I saw one genius Harley guy riding pretty far into winter once. He was wearing a ski hat, big sunglasses, and had a big jacket and a scarf on. It was pretty cold that day. It would have been less work and he would have been wearing less stuff to just wear a helmet.

Also, hey Nero, thanks for the recommendation on Ace scooter and motorcycle. Had them put on my new tires this weekend and they were really cool. Also they have some awesome old-school bikes sitting around the shop.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com

Has a coupon that expires on the 31st this month.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/609/MNGR/Motorcycle-Superstore-Coupons-Promotions.aspx?SiteID=CouponPage

quote:

* C309CPNPAGE5 - $5 off orders over $100. Coupon code expires 3/31/09.
* C309CPNPAGE20 - $20 off orders over $200. Coupon code expires 3/31/09.
* C309CPNPAGE50 - $50 off orders over $500. Coupon code expires 3/31/09

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I don't hesitate to recommend them. They treated me really well when I stopped by. And they happily ordered tires for my moped. The bikes they have there are some real classes. Most of them are customer bikes, and they get ridden.

I'm glad they helped you.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Ola posted:

Wearing a helmet in a no-helmet state is a much better statement about freedom and self responsibility.
i rode my bmw to a rally in wisconsin in 07 (harley HQ is in wisconsin - ergo, no helmet laws in wisconsin - ergo, freedom) and it was a funny contrast between the rally and the rest of the state. when i was at the [bmw] rally, nearly every single biker wore helmet, jacket, boots, pants and gloves. as soon as i rode more than 10 miles from the rally, literally not a single biker i saw had any gear at all. i only saw one exception to this in the week or so i was in the state.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The one thing I get, either from non-bikers or bikers that don't wear gear, is that it's hot or stiff or heavy or just plain uncomfortable. People don't realize that most of the guys designing motorcycle gear are riders. They understand the need to be comfortable and warm/cool/dry/etc. Yeah, I might not want to walk far in my boots and leather pants, but I can sit on the bike all day wearing that stuff while jeans start to chafe in under an hour.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Orange Someone posted:

Not quite understanding the state codes, but am I right in gathering that you have to wear your helmet in some states but not in others?

Mind-blown. For some reason I'd previously had the assumption that you never had to wear a helmet in the states.

Yeah, there are state laws and federal laws in the US. In general, things like helmets and road rules are state laws, and are up to the individual states to adopt or not. Other things like seatbelt laws, radar detectors, etc. are also state laws, so if you travel between states and don't want to get lots of tickets, it pays to check state's laws before travelling through.

quote:

I can't imagine not wearing kit. I mean, we don't have the temperatures that you guys can have, but it's bleeding windy at speed, and the jacket and gloves make it comfortable.

Last summer after I moved to Tennessee I was riding around and it was hot. I mean really loving hot. Like 100F. I was sweating my rear end off in my leather jacket and thought, "gently caress it, I'm taking this thing off."

I shoved it into my trunk and took off again. After about 5 miles I felt so unprotected and vulnerable, that it was making me very distracted from my focus on riding, so I pulled over and put it on again.

Sweating a bit is better than skin grafts anyway. :haw:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Sweating a bit is better than skin grafts anyway. :haw:

Every time I get really hot in all of my gear I try to imagine what it would be like stuck in my bed covered in bandages from skin grafts. Immobile, hot, sticky, itchy, in all sorts of pain. Without fail I can make myself get over the minor discomfort and be happy again.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Theres a saying: Sweat wipes off, road rash doesnt.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Phat_Albert posted:

Theres a saying: Sweat wipes off, road rash doesnt.

But chicks can't see my biceps through the jacket? Plus a bandanna makes my hair look cool.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
Christoff, everyone knows hair gel is the ultimate in head protection technology. :c00lbert:

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Many of you may not know this, but it's WAY MORE FUN to ride your cruiser around without a helmet than with a full face, or even a beanie. Most of the people riding without helmets know the risks, and have accepted them.

EDIT: And this is the high-horse safety nazi morality brigade that parades out every time someone brings the topic of helmets up. You guys are obnoxious even when you're preaching to the converted.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 23, 2009

Sir Cottonsocks
Jul 8, 2007

MrKatharsis posted:

Many of you may not know this, but it's WAY MORE FUN to ride your cruiser around without a helmet than with a full face, or even a beanie. Most of the people riding without helmets know the risks, and have accepted them.

hhhhhuuuurrrrrrrr

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MrKatharsis posted:

I know that I ride without a helmet because I obviously never plan on crashing.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

MrKatharsis posted:

EDIT: And this is the high-horse safety nazi morality brigade that parades out every time someone brings the topic of helmets up. You guys are obnoxious even when you're preaching to the converted.

The problem is, that when someone empties the contents of their brainpan all over the I-10, us survivors get stuck with slightly higher insurance premiums. If the anti-helmet brigade had their own actuary tables I wouldn't give a poo poo.

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

Trintintin posted:

I would love to hear what he did.

He generally had no knowledge of clutch and throttle control. He revved the everliving piss out of the bike while walking it down the road and into a turn lane. I was graced with the honor of being the first car behind him watching this go on. When it came time for him to actually have the bike move under its own power to cross the two lanes of traffic it looked like he stalled it as he dumped the clutch, but there was none of that BADASS ENGINE NOISE. To each his own, at least when he gets plowed over the seat cowl will be nice and protected. That is the most important part to protect anyway.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gr3y posted:

The problem is, that when someone empties the contents of their brainpan all over the I-10, us survivors get stuck with slightly higher insurance premiums. If the anti-helmet brigade had their own actuary tables I wouldn't give a poo poo.

Actually, I learned that that is not true awhile back in a similar arguement that took place somewhere on SA. Apparently the cost per accident is higher when there's a helmet law in place, because more people survive accidents that they otherwise would have died in, requiring expensive things like skin grafts, etc. I don't recall exactly which state it was where they discovered that. But the end result was that after the helmet law was passed, the overall cost per accident went up, not down :(

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007

Z3n posted:

Actually, I learned that that is not true awhile back in a similar arguement that took place somewhere on SA. Apparently the cost per accident is higher when there's a helmet law in place, because more people survive accidents that they otherwise would have died in, requiring expensive things like skin grafts, etc. I don't recall exactly which state it was where they discovered that. But the end result was that after the helmet law was passed, the overall cost per accident went up, not down :(

I can see this as being the case. If I plow into somebody's SUV and don't have a helmet, then the only thing the insurance company is going to pay for is the damage to their SUV. They aren't going to pay out to my family for me being an idiot, and there is no bodily injury to cover. If I wrecked on my own and there was no other damage except to the bike then it is even cheaper for them. Although, I suppose if there is a lean on the motorcycle that gets paid off by the insurance company? Or does that become the burden of the family?

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Z3n posted:

That makes perfect sense, body bags are WAYYY cheaper than months of reconstructive surgery and amputations in a hospital bed. The same riders that don't wear a helmet normally won't wear any other gear, so even with a helmet they are going to get pretty hosed up.

That said, I don't wear a helmet because my flowing luscious red locks match the bike better than any helmet ever could. :haw:

Edit: /\/\/\/\/\ I'm pretty sure all debts are transferred to the closest living survivor of said dead person so family would pay it off not the insurance company./\/\/\/\

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Trintintin posted:

That makes perfect sense, body bags are WAYYY cheaper than months of reconstructive surgery and amputations in a hospital bed. The same riders that don't wear a helmet normally won't wear any other gear, so even with a helmet they are going to get pretty hosed up.

That said, I don't wear a helmet because my flowing luscious red locks match the bike better than any helmet ever could. :haw:

Edit: /\/\/\/\/\ I'm pretty sure all debts are transferred to the closest living survivor of said dead person so family would pay it off not the insurance company./\/\/\/\

Debt isn't transferred unless the survivor takes whatever the debt is connected to. IE, the closest survivor would to accept the debt in order to take the motorcycle, otherwise they can't get the bike, but don't have to pay the debt. Same goes for houses and anything else.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

pr0zac posted:

Debt isn't transferred unless the survivor takes whatever the debt is connected to. IE, the closest survivor would to accept the debt in order to take the motorcycle, otherwise they can't get the bike, but don't have to pay the debt. Same goes for houses and anything else.

Ahh interesting that good to know, that is a bunch more fair then how my mind had it pegged.

Tomorrow is the big day where my shop gets my bike and tells me what the damage will be. The lovely part is regardless of the price, I'll be unable to fix it due only having enough money for the plane ticket back to school. So I guess it will be a case of weather or not I fix it after pulling it out of the garage this summer, or try and part it out after pulling it out of the garage this summer. Here's hoping its the carbs that hosed up, so I can march into the shop back in GA and demand some sort of compensation due to them loving my entire bike up then giving it back to me to ride.

If it threw a piston, well, I will be one sad/poor college student who will be riding a bike for awhile.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

So, would there be a problem riding with a full-face helmet with the visor up?

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

So, would there be a problem riding with a full-face helmet with the visor up?

When I have my visor half open it sounds like god roaring directly into my head.

Besides that, I don't see you really nailing the bit of face exposed, the helmet extends around and out enough that it would still probably eat the impact.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Gr3y posted:

When I have my visor half open it sounds like god roaring directly into my head.

Besides that, I don't see you really nailing the bit of face exposed, the helmet extends around and out enough that it would still probably eat the impact.

Well I have a huge-rear end windshield to hide behind. I put it down when I get up over 50 or so, but when tooling around the surface streets, it's so much nicer to get the air. I don't take the faceshield off, since there are times I want it down.

Other than the rare bug bank-shot, I just wondered if there was some kind of danger in doing so.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Doctor Zero posted:

Other than the rare bug bank-shot, I just wondered if there was some kind of danger in doing so.

Well, the visor would provide some impact resistance, but I doubt it would be enoug to stop a determined stick (or rock :gonk: ).

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

Simkin posted:

Well, the visor would provide some impact resistance, but I doubt it would be enoug to stop a determined stick (or rock :gonk: ).

It absolutely won't. This is friend of a friend stuff but... a buddy of mine who road races (cars) went out and bought a new helmet with the smallest visor he could find after a friend of his crashed and took a fence post to the face shield. Obviously his friend didn't make it.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Well, obviously it isnt going to stop a fence post, and no one expects it to. Thats just ridiculous. The visor doesn't protect against much except small flying debris, but it does a good job at stopping even large chucks of rock/wood/whatever, just at the cost of a new visor.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

One word:

Bees

If you have the visor open it's a scoop for bees. And wasps.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Well I have a huge-rear end windshield to hide behind. I put it down when I get up over 50 or so, but when tooling around the surface streets, it's so much nicer to get the air. I don't take the faceshield off, since there are times I want it down.

As someone who recently slid on his face down the pavement at about 40-60mph (depending on when, exactly, the visor decided to fly off the helmet), I'd say it's ok. Close your eyes.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
A Shoei visor will stop a .22 lr bullet. The parts department at RideNow in Ocala, FL has proof.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Bugdrvr posted:

One word:

Bees

If you have the visor open it's a scoop for bees. And wasps.

Ive had a bee hit me in the chest then bounce back to life into my chin and up into my closed visor. I freaked out, opened the visor, and thankfully it flew right out without stinging me. Bees are a bitch, but I'm sure that bee was 100% more freaked out then me.

You know you have an awesome mechanic when....you casually talk with him about test rides and upgrading in the future to a bigger bike, and loving the z1000 style and seating position, he gets all bright eyed and says "Next time you see that orange z1000 out front stop in and I'll let you ride it, its mine." We then talked about how its very possible that once I test ride a few bikes, I'll still probably come back to the z1000 due to it being, in his words, one of the best well rounded street bikes hes ever ridden.

The z1000 realllly isn't a liter bike, right guys.........right? :(

Fake Edit: I didn't ball up my 500 so I think that means I WOULDN'T have to change my username to Blaise v2.0 right?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Trintintin posted:

Ive had a bee hit me in the chest then bounce back to life into my chin and up into my closed visor. I freaked out, opened the visor, and thankfully it flew right out without stinging me. Bees are a bitch, but I'm sure that bee was 100% more freaked out then me.

You know you have an awesome mechanic when....you casually talk with him about test rides and upgrading in the future to a bigger bike, and loving the z1000 style and seating position, he gets all bright eyed and says "Next time you see that orange z1000 out front stop in and I'll let you ride it, its mine." We then talked about how its very possible that once I test ride a few bikes, I'll still probably come back to the z1000 due to it being, in his words, one of the best well rounded street bikes hes ever ridden.

The z1000 realllly isn't a liter bike, right guys.........right? :(

Fake Edit: I didn't ball up my 500 so I think that means I WOULDN'T have to change my username to Blaise v2.0 right?

The Z1000 is a fantastic motorcycle...a great all arounder for anything you could throw at it. Plus it's badass looking. The Z1000 isn't something I'd wholeheartedly suggest to a new rider, but an experienced, level headed rider with a good amount of time under their belt shouldn't have any problems handling it. My g/f went from her SV to a Z1000 without serious issue. She much prefers the Z to her SV because of the additional grunt, the seating position works better for her, and she loves how it looks.

Big bikes are all about developing good throttle control. Keep that in mind constantly, and you'll be fine. I don't ride a big bike on the street because I should have "poor impulse control" tattooed on my forehead. The Z1000 is continually taunting me with "well, a small wheelie here wouldn't hurt anyone, right?" :v:

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

Trintintin posted:

Sweet lord, that exact same thing has happened to me. I was on a country highway doing 60 though so i didn't want to open my visor at that speed and have the bee blow into my face. I had to find a spot to pull over while the bee laid on my chin bar and twitched. That was quite not-fun.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

When I was riding last summer I kept opening my visor and enjoying the fresh air. The smattering of mosquitos started getting annoying, so I closed it - thinking I was a dumb safety geek. A few seconds later KAPOW a huge fat 60 mph fly disintegrates on the visor, completely obscuring the vision on my left eye. Chances are it would have hit me square in the eye. Safety geek wins again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I posted some questions about this bike in the questions thread. Today my father-in-law picked it up and my god is it massive. He had a Goldwing before but apparently that was was too small and didn't have enough 1970's styling.

I plan on drafting this bike on my KZ650 to stay warm in the coming month. Behold, El Monstro, king of the UJMs:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

8ender fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 24, 2009