Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

xamphear posted:

So jailbreak it and install Backgrounder from Cydia. True multitasking support. I can listen to last.fm while playing a game or web browsing. It's great.

Yeah, I do that already, I was just trying to illustrate why I think Apple's "push notifications instead of real background apps" policy is misguided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

xamphear posted:

Do you work for Apple or something? Jesus.

How is it apologizing to point out that activating the bluetooth isn't just them flipping a bit or adding a driver? If they didn't bother to license bluetooth for the touches apple now has to license it for all of the devices they are activating it on.

I am just saying people have been nerd raging over not getting the bluetooth for free because "its already in there you sold it to me in there damnit" but the fact is that from a legal standpoint they didn't sell it to you in there.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Juriko posted:

I am just saying people have been nerd raging over not getting the bluetooth for free because "its already in there you sold it to me in there damnit" but the fact is that from a legal standpoint they didn't sell it to you in there.

Of course not from a legal standpoint, but from a business standpoint. I think it is perfectly acceptable for someone to question why (not "nerd rage") they can't access the hardware they just purchased. It honestly doesn't matter to me because the only things with bluetooth that I own are my laptop and my cell phone, neither of which I want to connect to my touch through bluetooth.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Super Dude posted:

Of course not from a legal standpoint, but from a business standpoint. I think it is perfectly acceptable for someone to question why (not "nerd rage") they can't access the hardware they just purchased. It honestly doesn't matter to me because the only things with bluetooth that I own are my laptop and my cell phone, neither of which I want to connect to my touch through bluetooth.

The thing is they didn't purchase it. Apple never advertised it having bluetooth, and legally couldn't. We buy stuff all the time that has hardware in it that could perform better or faster but the feature is disabled. Processors, cars, videocards all are regular limited in some artificial way to up sell higher end versions.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Super Dude posted:

Is there a reason that the bluetooth wasn't unlocked in the first place, or did they just do this so they could charge more money down the road? I wonder if this will allow for wireless syncing, something that there is no excuse not to include now.
Didn't they hijack BT functionality for the Nike functions?

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
The Remote app + the new version of iTunes (with the iTunes DJ instead of party shuffle) is awesome. We had a small party last night and I loved being able to queue up songs without having to run back to the computer.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Super Dude posted:

Hey I just saw Tap Tap Revenge 2 is on the app store! (FREE) I loved the first one, and this one has like 150 free tracks to download. :)

Holy poo poo thank you for this post.

Always Shirtless
Oct 14, 2006

by Fistgrrl

jadias posted:

if you play it on public transport, the "THROW YOUR IPOD TO THE LEFT TO HIT THIS NOTE NOW!" bits make you look like an epic tool.

You can turn that off, except for online which i guess you wouldnt be playing on public transport anyway.

It's a sweet game, never played the first but it's really fun. It'd be nice if the tracks were more consistent in difficulty, a lot of 'extreme' songs are just as easy as the 'hard' ones, there are only a couple that actually have really tricky parts.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Woot has refurbed 8GB 2nd Gen touches up for $170 if anyone is interested.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

Super Dude posted:

Is there a reason that the bluetooth wasn't unlocked in the first place, or did they just do this so they could charge more money down the road?

Even the iPhone didn't have support for any bluetooth devices beyond headsets as of 2.21. I presume that they didn't think Touch users would particularly care about something that was completely useless to them. Now that they finally got around to writing a real bluetooth stack in 3.0, there's actually a point to paying the licensing fee or whatever to enable bluetooth.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

VPILF posted:

Even the iPhone didn't have support for any bluetooth devices beyond headsets as of 2.21. I presume that they didn't think Touch users would particularly care about something that was completely useless to them. Now that they finally got around to writing a real bluetooth stack in 3.0, there's actually a point to paying the licensing fee or whatever to enable bluetooth.

To get even more specific. Sometimes the long term savings by removing a component from a design are actually less than the short term savings of leaving it in. A lot of hardware is absolutely cheap compared to the money it takes to redesign a circuit board without a chip and go through testing and pay the license for. It is one of the funny things about the economy of scale on computers and CED's in general, often the more expensive model is just as cheap to make is the regular model, so in hardware they will be the same or barely changed.

It is the same reason it is easier for dell to make a bunch of cheap standardized mini atx boxes than it is for Apple to do its own reference designs on so it can make I Macs. Hell most computer cases, internally, are made by the same handful of companies. They just have different plastic stuck onto the front. Leaving bluetooth in but not using it was likely a last minute change that the realized would cost to much to do completely.

"if we take it out, redo the prototypes and, recert the revision it will cost this. If we just disable it in software it will only cost this." It was also long thought it was mostly for Nike support down the line. That might have been the truth, but Apple decided to just bundle full support in the update instead.

confusion2005
Jan 16, 2005

by Tiny Fistpump

Super Dude posted:

What? How did Microsoft factor into this?

xamphear posted:

This is the single most nonsensical post I've ever seen.

Well xamphear was being a dick.
Just because someone was explaining something he labelled them a Apple apologist.
So as he was anti-Apple, i assumed he must be a Microsoft apologist.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Juriko posted:

"if we take it out, redo the prototypes and, recert the revision it will cost this. If we just disable it in software it will only cost this."

Yeah, this bit Canon in the butt a little with the original Digital Rebel; somebody hacked the firmware to unlock the hidden features.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 23, 2009

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

confusion2005 posted:

So as he was anti-Apple, i assumed he must be a Microsoft apologist.

That's quite a leap, but whatever floats your boat.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Super Dude posted:

It's entirely understandable. From the viewpoint of a radical, everyone is a radical.

confusion2005
Jan 16, 2005

by Tiny Fistpump

Super Dude posted:

Same leap my opponent made.

So what do you think about that 3.0?

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Just ordered myself a 2g touch off of ebay, and I'd love to have a case ready to put it in as soon as it arrives. I know BestSkinEver is still highly goon recommended for your first layer of protection, so I was wondering if anyone had any favorite cases of late they might like to recommend.

Googling a little bit for ipod touch cases led me around to http://www.switcheasy.com/ which has some impressive looking cases that will cover the entire ipod and seemingly keep dust out entirely, and their cases even seem to come with a similar screen guard to BestSkinEver. Does anyone have any experience with their cases?

Hard to know what direction to go with cases since there are so many on the market. I wish ipodlounge had a better way of sorting through their case reviews.

Evil Kaneval
Sep 28, 2001

Jumping books since 1938
I really wish there was a better case that comes with a belt clip than the Griffin iClear. I guess it's not that bad but are there other options similar to Switch Easy type of cases?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
I'm going overseas for an emergency trip and would like to take some documents on my Touch. Is there any way to view MS Office Word documents, excel spreadsheets, pdfs on a touch without jailbreaking it? Much appreciated!

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
So last night I was having trouble getting to sleep (too much day time napping) so I sort of randomly decided to start researching jailbreaking my Touch (1st Gen). After about 15 seconds I grew tired of that and just Google'd "ipod touch 2.1 jailbreak".

Like 1 minute later (20sec to download the app, 40~sec of holding some buttons) I have a loving jailbroken iPod Touch. How easy was that? Holy poo poo. WinterBoard/WifiToggle/advanced Settings = just what I have always wanted on my Touch. Any other neat things I should be checking out here?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Bink posted:

So last night I was having trouble getting to sleep (too much day time napping) so I sort of randomly decided to start researching jailbreaking my Touch (1st Gen). After about 15 seconds I grew tired of that and just Google'd "ipod touch 2.1 jailbreak".

Like 1 minute later (20sec to download the app, 40~sec of holding some buttons) I have a loving jailbroken iPod Touch. How easy was that? Holy poo poo. WinterBoard/WifiToggle/advanced Settings = just what I have always wanted on my Touch. Any other neat things I should be checking out here?
backgrounder for multitasking and if you use last.fm: scrobble.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I like Five Icon Dock, too.

disco_stu
Jun 19, 2005
Disco Stu does not need to advertise!

CelestialScribe posted:

I'm going overseas for an emergency trip and would like to take some documents on my Touch. Is there any way to view MS Office Word documents, excel spreadsheets, pdfs on a touch without jailbreaking it? Much appreciated!

You should check out Airsharing.

http://www.avatron.com/products/

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

xamphear posted:

backgrounder for multitasking and if you use last.fm: scrobble.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I like Five Icon Dock, too.
Thank you both. I have Scrobble and Five Icon Dock installed. Will be looking at Backgrounder to see if it is something I would use.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

disco_stu posted:

You are a champion! Thank you! Do you use it?

disco_stu
Jun 19, 2005
Disco Stu does not need to advertise!

CelestialScribe posted:

You are a champion! Thank you! Do you use it?

Yeah, but I use it as a comic book/pdf/photo reader.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

disco_stu posted:

What a brilliant app. $5 well spent.

Arcarsenal
Jun 15, 2003

So now that I have some free time this week I'm thinking of jailbreaking my 2G touch. I understand that I'm going to have to format and backup all my music and restore with the exploited firmware and all that.

Will I have to re add all of my music back on to the touch after I restore with the jailbroken firmware or will the music be restored as well? A lot of my music is on my fileserver at home so it would suck to jailbreak this and then have to wait a while to get my music back on there. If that's the price I pay for jailbreaking, I guess its worth the slight inconvenience.

edit: also, does anyone have first hand experience jailbreaking on Vista 64?

Arcarsenal fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 26, 2009

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

siamesegun posted:

So now that I have some free time this week I'm thinking of jailbreaking my 2G touch. I understand that I'm going to have to format and backup all my music and restore with the exploited firmware and all that.

Will I have to re add all of my music back on to the touch after I restore with the jailbroken firmware or will the music be restored as well? A lot of my music is on my fileserver at home so it would suck to jailbreak this and then have to wait a while to get my music back on there. If that's the price I pay for jailbreaking, I guess its worth the slight inconvenience.

You will have to re-add all of your music, apps, etc. It is like you have a clean ipod (with the exception of a few things).

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
This seems like something obvious, but I cannot find it:

Off-line wikipedia Touch App? (No internet most places I am at, at least no internet that my Touch can see.)

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Most useful Dictionary reviews:
CHeap:
http://www.macworld.com/article/137137/2008/11/dictionaryapps_parttwo.html
Expensive:
http://www.macworld.com/article/137089/2008/11/dictionaryapps_partone.html

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

kapalama posted:

Off-line wikipedia Touch App? (No internet most places I am at, at least no internet that my Touch can see.)

I don't quite get what you want this app to do. Do you want to visit certain wiki pages and have it save them to your ipod? I assume you don't want the wikipedia library on your ipod because that wouldn't be possible.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Super Dude posted:

You will have to re-add all of your music, apps, etc. It is like you have a clean ipod (with the exception of a few things).

No you don't? I just plugged my iPod in and ran QuickPwn. :confused:

siamesegun posted:

Yes. See my post a bit up the page. It was simple.

EDIT: OH, nevermind. I did not see that it was a 2G. I am guessing they are jailbroken differently.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Bink posted:

No you don't? I just plugged my iPod in and ran QuickPwn. :confused:

Yes. See my post a bit up the page. It was simple.

EDIT: OH, nevermind. I did not see that it was a 2G. I am guessing they are jailbroken differently.

I used the semi-tethered jailbreak so it was probably different.

confusion2005
Jan 16, 2005

by Tiny Fistpump

kapalama posted:

I swear by Wikipanion Plus.
Its a great app and the two best features are the simple 'queuing' system it has for Wiki links and the ability to save Wiki articles off-line for reading later.

One of the problems with Wikipedia is that while reading an article there is always a link to another article that catches your eye. Wikipanion Plus allows you to 'queue' that article for later just by holding your finger down on the link for a little bit longer than normal. You can then click the queue icon at any stage to have access to the articles you marked. Its also very easy to save all the queued articles to the iPod for off-line reading in one go.
You can bookmark any article and it keeps a history of articles you've visited (which again you can save onto the iPod).

You can try the free version, but it doesnt have the off-line features.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=290613987&mt=8

Arcarsenal
Jun 15, 2003

thanks for the info guys. there is a nice GUI jailbreaking app for the 2G touch called quickfreedom:http://quickfreedom.com/index.php that I'm going to try and use.

The only thing I'm worried about is libusb on my Vista64 system; I've heard success stories when its installed in XP compatibility mode but I've also heard some horror stories. I'm tempted to just make a virtual machine running XP and iTunes so I can jailbreak with confidence, haha.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Super Dude posted:

I used the semi-tethered jailbreak so it was probably different.
There's a full real deal jailbreak out now for the 2g touch, if you feel like doing another restore.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

siamesegun posted:

thanks for the info guys. there is a nice GUI jailbreaking app for the 2G touch called quickfreedom:http://quickfreedom.com/index.php that I'm going to try and use.

The only thing I'm worried about is libusb on my Vista64 system; I've heard success stories when its installed in XP compatibility mode but I've also heard some horror stories. I'm tempted to just make a virtual machine running XP and iTunes so I can jailbreak with confidence, haha.

I used Quickfreedom to jailbreak my 2G ipod touch on Windows 7 (not 64bit) but had no problems installing the libusb drivers using compatability mode.

I would also add that I took a backup of my ipod using itunes, restored it to factory default, ran quickfreedom, plugged it back into itunes, it detected it as a new ipod and would I like to set it up as new or restore from a backup.

Picked the restore option and all my apps, music, email, settings are back.

You do however need to update your mobileinstallation using cydia to add cracked .ipas if you're that way inclined.

Arcarsenal
Jun 15, 2003

More great info, thanks. How would I go about updating the mobileinstallation? Just grab it off Cydia after the jailbreak?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

siamesegun posted:

Can I just use that straight away on my ipod if I have the untethered jailbreak or do I need to do something special?

• Locked thread