Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I went to open hockey tonight. I started off playing pretty lovely, but as I got into the flow of the game I started pulling off some spectacular saves. As for the new glove, I can definitely tell that it will take me some time to adjust to the smaller blocking surface, which is to be expected, but more importantly I took a couple shots off different parts of the glove and didn't feel anything. I also noticed that I did a much better job covering up the puck and tracking it off of my pads today. That's obviously not entirely on the glove, but it seems to seel to the ice better than my old glove, which is an unexpected bonus and makes it much easier to control the puck in front of me.

I'll probably try to get on the ice again early Sunday morning, which will be a better test of my new glove, but so far I am happy. I didn't expect it to radically change my game or anything, but the level of protection is nice and I'm looking forward to breaking in and adjusting to this trapper.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 20, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"
Inline goalies: My mobility sucks. It sucks, and I hate it. I feel like I'm reading the play fairly well, but when there's a good pass I have a really hard time getting to where I'm supposed to be in time. I also am playing my angles super agressively, because I am unable to butterfly slide at all. Is this pretty common to the roller goalie experience, or is there a certain method of doing it?

crusader donkey
Oct 10, 2007

Hungry For The Cup (But Settling For Nachos)
Yes, mobility can be very hard, especially depending on the pads you use. Skating is a huge thing, practice moving on your feet a lot, especially if you play way out of the crease which I also do. Also check out PMA's (Tim Thomas's maybe, don't know if he changed the username yet at that point) method of adding plastic sliders to your pads in the earlier pages of the thread, I'm sure that would help. I use a cheap pad, though, and most of the surface is a sturdy fabric so sliding really isn't a problem for me.

In the end, there's a lot of improvisation, just try a few things and find what you like best. Going head first is pretty effective for me for those cross-crease passes, for example. First and foremost, work on your foot and pad quickness. I feel that's what really sets me apart from other goalies I play against.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
New TPS Summit7 C/A came in.

Here's how it lines up vs. my 993.

First off it smells MUCH better! The 993 is a large and so is this S7 I'm 6'1" 185lb and I dont like any extra bulk. I was a little surprised how much I had to tighten up the S7 to make it fit me right but maybe I have a smaller torso.

993 Back

This has an extra lower strap I like that the S7 lacks, it keeps it from bulging out at all when crouched into position. There's actually a loop on the back of the S7 that you could run the same lower strap through so if it becomes a problem I'll have one added in. My only issue with the 993's backside is that my elbows on very very rare occasions could slip through hitting straight ice.

There's a single shoulder strap that Y's out on the back of the S7 which gives you balanced tightness on both sides. The molded elbows on it feel great and the back protection is plenty enough.

The 993 fits very well against your body and is extremely mobile. When you're wearing it you dont feel that any moment is being restricted in any way. My issue with the pad is that I play against some very heavy shots that arnt afraid to take slappers from about 12 feet out and I would get bruises on my ribs/gut from them. When I'd play B league it's more than fine but its not a true pro belly pad which I'm sure they remedied on the 994.

The first thing I noticed when putting this on is that the shoulder floaters dont wave in so my arms bump into it a bit, not a huge deal and if it covers my armpits more thats a huge plus. The heart pad is this dense memory foam that seems like it'd suck rebounds up pretty well, my 993 would springboard them out at times so its a welcome change. The arms are great, they feel strong and I'm not worried at all about taking stingers off there. They feel a bit weird because they connect at the backpad (instead of the chest) which reminds me of using the oldschool 2 piece C/A's back in the day. There are 3 velcro pads that can be removed from the front, one is the lower part of the center floater and two on the low sides for those who tuck in. I've never been a tucker and this sees like its more tuck friendly C/A, I might give it another shot if it rubs my breezers wrong or bubbles out too much.

Overall I'm really impressed how much better this CA is over the previous Summit one. Its a welcome upgrade to my 993 with a bit more protection, tad bit more coverage, and nearly all of its mobility.

If someone is interested in my 993 I'd be willing to let it go cheap since its used and stinks....bad.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

brosef deluxe posted:

Inline goalies: My mobility sucks. It sucks, and I hate it. I feel like I'm reading the play fairly well, but when there's a good pass I have a really hard time getting to where I'm supposed to be in time. I also am playing my angles super agressively, because I am unable to butterfly slide at all. Is this pretty common to the roller goalie experience, or is there a certain method of doing it?

The big thing with inline is that you need to work on staying up on shots. There are still times where dropping into a butterfly is the best save selection, but generally speaking, once you drop, you are dead. However, there are some things that can help once you are in a butterfly or on a ground. Work on rebound control, if you can deaden the rebound and either get the puck to one of your teammates or into your trapper, then they can't get that second, third or fourth shot on you. Also, you can work on directing your rebounds to the corners, so that they are out of harms way and give you a second or two to recover.

Unfortuantely, you can't control or direct every shot that you face and at that point you need to work on either getting back up to your feet quickly or use your athleticism and pull off desperation saves. It seems that with the butterfly becoming the dominant save selection, goalies can forget about the amount of athleticism required for the position. Watch guys like Tim Thomas, Martin Brodeur or old footage of guys like Dominik Hasek, Ron Hextall or Mike Richter. You don't necessarily want to dive and flop on every shot, but don't be afraid to do whatever you need to stop the puck and use whatever natural abilities or skills you have developed. Everyone has weird quirks to their game and if you find a move that works for you, then use it.

As for skating, I'm not a great skater by any stretch of the imagination, but look up T-pushes if you aren't familiar with them already. Also, one good drill is to start at one post, shuffle across the goal line to the other post, do a T-push from that post to the top of the crease and then do a T-push to the other post. Repeat this a few times and be sure to switch up which post you start at.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Titanium that's a nice looking C/A. How long does it take before the white C/A turns into the color of your older one?

I did manage to get out on the ice this morning. I had strained my groin playing on Thursday night, but it felt good enough this morning for me to go ahead and play. It was just a practice session, but I wasn't playing my best. That being said, I got some more time to work with my new glove and I'm starting to get used to the size. I even managed to catch some pucks and didn't feeling anything on any of the shots, though the next time I get out on the ice, I'll try to have someone feed me some high shots during warmups, so I can hopefully get an idea of what a really hard shot feels with this glove.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Aniki posted:

The big thing with inline is that you need to work on staying up on shots. There are still times where dropping into a butterfly is the best save selection, but generally speaking, once you drop, you are dead. However, there are some things that can help once you are in a butterfly or on a ground. Work on rebound control, if you can deaden the rebound and either get the puck to one of your teammates or into your trapper, then they can't get that second, third or fourth shot on you. Also, you can work on directing your rebounds to the corners, so that they are out of harms way and give you a second or two to recover.
Not that I don't agree about rebound control when in the butterfly, but it's completely possible to be a dominant butterfly-only goalie with very little standing saves in roller hockey. There's a couple things that you need for it:

1) knowing how to slide
2) be at least 6'3"
3) play angles perfectly but not too aggressively on non-breakaways
4) extremely good goalie skating
5) be stellar at reading and anticipating the play

1, 3, and 4 are sides of the same die. To be a good inline goalie you need to know how to forward t-push, reverse t-push, standing shuffle, c-cut shuffle, chassis slide, cowling slide, and pad slide. For recoveries, you need to be able to pad recovery, cowling recovery, and wheel recovery. Yes, there are three different slides and three different recoveries. I'm trying to find video where it shows me using chassis and cowling slides to get around the crease and re-find angles: since you aren't actually going down all the way you slide and pop out of it.

2 is natural and allows you to not play angles too aggressively so as to not give up the top of the net or sides.

5 is a variant of positioning: once you're down you are much more likely to stop a shot and much less likely to stop a pass, so if you made a good read that's that.

I keep hearing arguments from people about how "ohhh butterfly goalies don't work in inline" yet the best goalies in the country, statistically, are all butterfly guys.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Tim Thomas posted:

Not that I don't agree about rebound control when in the butterfly, but it's completely possible to be a dominant butterfly-only goalie with very little standing saves in roller hockey. There's a couple things that you need for it:

1) knowing how to slide
2) be at least 6'3"
3) play angles perfectly but not too aggressively on non-breakaways
4) extremely good goalie skating
5) be stellar at reading and anticipating the play

1, 3, and 4 are sides of the same die. To be a good inline goalie you need to know how to forward t-push, reverse t-push, standing shuffle, c-cut shuffle, chassis slide, cowling slide, and pad slide. For recoveries, you need to be able to pad recovery, cowling recovery, and wheel recovery. Yes, there are three different slides and three different recoveries. I'm trying to find video where it shows me using chassis and cowling slides to get around the crease and re-find angles: since you aren't actually going down all the way you slide and pop out of it.

2 is natural and allows you to not play angles too aggressively so as to not give up the top of the net or sides.

5 is a variant of positioning: once you're down you are much more likely to stop a shot and much less likely to stop a pass, so if you made a good read that's that.

I keep hearing arguments from people about how "ohhh butterfly goalies don't work in inline" yet the best goalies in the country, statistically, are all butterfly guys.

I agree that being a butterfly can work in inline, since the concepts of center shifting and taking away angles is just as valid in inline as it is ice, but I do feel that you are more exposed when you drop in inline versus ice. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't drop when it's the right save choice, but mobility is key in inline and I think there are advantages to staying up when possible in order to get yourself into position for the next save. Also, I think that you do need to improvise a little more in inline than ice, since the lighter puck does tend to create bigger rebounds and in my experience the defensemen aren't always as good, so you are exposed in situations, where diving, rolling, and doing whatever you need to make a save are important skills to have. Though I will say that if you can get in good position and take away the angles in a butterfly, then it is a higher percentage save, but the issue is that the nature of inline puts the goalie in more difficult situations than he would normally face on ice.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
One of my buddies brought a camera to our Sunday morning fuckaround today, I knew that jersey looked good when I bought it:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

Titanium that's a nice looking C/A. How long does it take before the white C/A turns into the color of your older one?

Not sure really, if my equipment gets bad enough there's a crazy cleaning service around that does some special wash that makes everything like new. My old roommate got it done to his stuff and I poo poo you not the equipment room went from smelling like a locker room to something pleasant. It honestly smelled good when he aired out his equipment for a good 2/3 months after, doesnt damage leather or anything either.

I tried it on with my jersey today and holy poo poo I'm huge in the thing.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
Question: When playing without skates of any variety what do you guys do with your bottom straps and toe ties? This has been an ongoing issue with me and I am wondering if there is some really simple and elegant solution that is currently beyond my comprehension. I ask because I have an upcoming ball hockey season and while I putter around every time I play I do different things with the straps and just haven't found a solution that works for me yet.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

sba posted:

One of my buddies brought a camera to our Sunday morning fuckaround today, I knew that jersey looked good when I bought it:

Does no one wear shin guards or is it just that one guy?

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
They look like it's just a shootaround type deal, prolly not that intense.

Space Cadet posted:

Question: When playing without skates of any variety what do you guys do with your bottom straps and toe ties? This has been an ongoing issue with me and I am wondering if there is some really simple and elegant solution that is currently beyond my comprehension. I ask because I have an upcoming ball hockey season and while I putter around every time I play I do different things with the straps and just haven't found a solution that works for me yet.

For my ball hockey I pulled the toe ties out competely, and the bottom strap I have strapped and hidden, sort of, above where my shoe is. It's a little loose on the bottom of my leg, but I really don't see a much better way without strapping the bottom strap awkwardly.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Space Cadet posted:

Question: When playing without skates of any variety what do you guys do with your bottom straps and toe ties?

I pull my toe ties out, bottom strap through the loop on the back of my shoe. They also make a Nike shoe that has a gap in the bottom that you can thread it through.

cameronThornton posted:

Does no one wear shin guards or is it just that one guy?

Most people do I'm pretty sure...that dude is nuts, drat good player though.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I want to play goalie so bad... only problem is that I've never even played hockey before

I think I'll keep going to open ice sessions with my friend to get used to skating then maybe I'll see where things take me from there, hopefully at least playing the game in some form. It seems like such a daunting task to jump in to the sport

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Teeter posted:

I want to play goalie so bad... only problem is that I've never even played hockey before

I think I'll keep going to open ice sessions with my friend to get used to skating then maybe I'll see where things take me from there, hopefully at least playing the game in some form. It seems like such a daunting task to jump in to the sport

Not sure where you're from but here in MN there's a skate called "JMS (Just my speed)" that caters to players of all levels. Call the ice rinks around you and see if they have open hockey, that's the best way to learn and most of the time players are just happy a goalies in net.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

titanium posted:

Not sure where you're from but here in MN there's a skate called "JMS (Just my speed)" that caters to players of all levels. Call the ice rinks around you and see if they have open hockey, that's the best way to learn and most of the time players are just happy a goalies in net.

Yeah I'll have to find out what rinks are around me and see what sort of hockey is put on at each. I think my best lead for getting in to things is a friend of mine who used to play, he said he'd love to hit the ice with me as soon as his busted ankle heals up and he's even got an extra set of gear I could use. Hopefully he'll follow through with that so I can see how it all goes and then eventually hop in net.

I'm in southern CA, Pomona area to be specific if anybody happens to play around here and has any suggestions.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Jesus Christ I'm such a gear whore. The USD being strong against the Canadian dollar has forced me to buy more gear. New Summit7 glove is on its way, any full rights in need of a 2 season used Summit catch?

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

titanium posted:

Jesus Christ I'm such a gear whore. The USD being strong against the Canadian dollar has forced me to buy more gear. New Summit7 glove is on its way, any full rights in need of a 2 season used Summit catch?

Full right you say? I may be quite interested depending on price and shipping. Just today over lunch I was telling my wife how I required a better glove... :D Let us talk a bit about this as I no longer wish to use my R4 for anything more then ball/sponge hockey.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Space Cadet posted:

Full right you say? I may be quite interested depending on price and shipping. Just today over lunch I was telling my wife how I required a better glove... :D Let us talk a bit about this as I no longer wish to use my R4 for anything more then ball/sponge hockey.

Whatever you think is fair, I just ordered the new one for $330 shipped so go off that. It'll be about 3-4 weeks before mine shows up.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Do any of you guys drink 5hr energy before you play on a regular basis? The two times I have its been amazing. Redbull just seems to raise my pulse but any of those Monster/Rockstar versions of 5hr seems to give me crazy focus. Sadly 1/2 a bottle still seems to work 5hrs and shouldnt be used before a 10:30 skate.

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

titanium posted:

Do any of you guys drink 5hr energy before you play on a regular basis? The two times I have its been amazing. Redbull just seems to raise my pulse but any of those Monster/Rockstar versions of 5hr seems to give me crazy focus. Sadly 1/2 a bottle still seems to work 5hrs and shouldnt be used before a 10:30 skate.

A great way to save money as long as your performance is the same :haw:.

I've noticed that when I have no sleep and I chug an actual energy drink, my performance declines within the first few minutes of play. I have yet to try any of the 5 hour energy things with the intent to do something that required energy. I only had a bit of one once and it was absolutely terrible. I know it's just a shot but I could have sworn something was moving around in my mouth as I swallowed and it wasn't my tongue. It was also chunky. On top of that, I'm still skeptical that there has to be some negative health effect in regards to drinking over a week's worth of B12 in 2OZ. Once I actually have the time to spare to stop by Walgreen's before an ice session, I'll pick one up and try it out as long as I've had a good night's sleep.

Zinc.
Feb 2, 2007
Good for scalp.

titanium posted:

Sadly 1/2 a bottle still seems to work 5hrs and shouldnt be used before a 10:30 skate.

:lol: This coming from a guy who warned me never to drink them before 930

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Zinc. posted:

:lol: This coming from a guy who warned me never to drink them before 930

FULL bottle, I said nothing about 1/2 bottles (same goes for half bottles now)

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Thanks for the reply about those gloves titanium, I think with the piss poor performance of the Canadian dollar combined with international shipping means I will have to pass and perhaps go after one of those gloves you linked me.

On an unrelated note, today was my first practice with my new ball hockey team and of all the teams to answer our practice game challenge it was the previous years league champs who are actually playing in C league this year after their victory last year. We were a rag tag bunch of nobodies, some (like myself) knew nobody but answered an ad, others sort of knew each other and we all had a good time. I will say this about our team, it was amazing having defense men who actually played a decent back check. We played 2 games, one game I played with my team and the second the goalies were switched so I played with the champs. I was on the losing side both times but the score was 5-3 each time, we feel with more practice and all of us getting used to both ball hockey and each other we can be competitive if we held the champs to a 2 goal game our first time together. Next week we play a team that is actually in our league and hopefully we will take both of them even though it is just a practice, as a first timer to ball hockey do any of you guys have tips for footware or just general mobility on the concrete. My pads slide but come to an abrupt stop often spilling me over at the waist due to momentum, is there perhaps a wax or sealant I could use to possibly make my pads slicker?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I have been thinking about purchasing new leg pads lately and while I have decided to go with Brian's for gloves, my decision on leg pads is still up in the air. I am either going to go with the Brian's Zero G, the Vaughn 7406/7407 or the Itech RX-9. I like the iceberg graphics on the 7406, but I think the swoosh graphic on the 7407's might match my gloves better. I don't know if the graphics on the RX-9 would go particularly well with my gloves, but the price on those is very tempting.

Does anyone here have experience with any of these pads? Price isn't a huge factor in the decision, but there is part of me that thinks that I wouldn't notice a huge difference between the 7400's and the Zero G. I should have a better idea on my pad preference after this weekend, but any input would be appreciated.

Also, here is a picture of my trapper just for reference on whether it would match the pads that I am looking at:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Not quite hockey, but here's some goalie action that I wanted to share and this was the best place I could think to do it without starting a separate unnecessary thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7ZaUs49Zhs

I now know what it must have been like to be Roberto Luongo on Florida. My team is terrible :gonk:

The last save that I made was by far the coolest thing I've ever done sports-wise and I was so glad that someone was there to film it.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 3, 2009

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I just go back from the goalie show today and I have a feeling that Brian's is pretty happy with me right now. I picked up a matching Zero G blocker, a Brian's goalie bag that is big enough to fit all of my gear into one bag (no more hobo bags!) and I put half down on a set of Zero G leg pads.

It was cool to get a chance to talk to reps from Brian's, Vaughn, Bauer and Warrior and it was also nice to get the sizing of my pads verified by the Brian's rep, the Vaughn rep and an ex-NHL goalie. The set of pads that I tried on there were a 34" +1 and they were just way too big for me, so we settled on a 32" +1. That sounds ridiculously small to me, but that way my knees actually hit the right spot on the pads and they won't be so long that they interfere with my skating. My old Itech 7.8 Vamps were 34, which was probably a little too big for me to be perfectly honest.

I really liked the build quality and fit of the Brian's gear. They use a lighter, but very rigid foam, that other companies don't have yet, which means their pads are the lightest on the market. The thigh guard is very solid and it looks like between that and having the correct sizing, I will probably be able to retire my knee pads. The strapping system is very thorough compared to my old pads, the straps are easily replaceable, there's a buckle to ensure that the calf guard fits properly and it doesn't feel like my pads are dangling from my legs like my old pads did. I'll mess around with the strapping so that they fit a little bit looser, but since I'm more of a hybrid style goalie, I like having the option to have to strap my leg pads a little tighter.

I am really looking forward to my leg pads arriving, the order could take up to 6-8 weeks if they need to make them custom, but since they are 32" +1 and are standard color scheme (white, black, silver), there is a good chance that I could get these pads much sooner.

I know that getting new equipment won't immediately make me a better goalie, but I think that having properly fitting gear should be a big help. On the properly fitting note, the only thing I didn't like about the blocker is that the pinky and ring finger were too long, the rep tried on the blocker, and Randy Exelby tried on to and agreed that they were too long. I debated getting custom ordering the blocker with the pink and ring fingers shortened by half an inch, but it wasn't a big enough issue for me to want to wait 6-8 weeks on a blocker. However, since the rep and Exelby agreed that the two fingers were too long, they are going to reccomend that Brian's shortens those two fingers on their stock blockers. Some other goalies had mentioned this over at the Goalie Store boards, so I am not the first person to express this concern.

Anyway, I will post some pictures and more comments on the gear later today and I'm going to try and get out on the ice tonight to test out the blocker.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 5, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hot drat, congrats on the new gear! It looks like the new Zero-Gs are designed to be more friendly to pure butterfly goalies rather than hybrid netminders.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Good call on the purchase.

I tried on some ZeroG's the other day and its crazy how much lighter they are than PIII's of the same size. They seem more friendly to hybrid goalies than the DX2 series. I plan on picking some up to replace my 994's if I can fit it in the budget.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

Hot drat, congrats on the new gear! It looks like the new Zero-Gs are designed to be more friendly to pure butterfly goalies rather than hybrid netminders.

Thanks, I've always wanted to get a full set of pro level gear and since I started a new job recently, it's all of a sudden become possible.

As for whether the pads are butterfly or hybrid friendly, I think they are a pretty good mixture off both. The pads are stiffer than my old Vamps and are very flat on the inside edge, which hopefully will make butterflying and butterfly slides a little easier for me. Still though with the 11" width and good strapping system, I have the ability to wear my pads very tight or loose, so I should be able to adjust the strapping to suit my style of play.

The problem that I had with my Vamps were that the pads were very loose and in fact I even added holes to the straps so I could wear them tighter. I have worn my pads a little looser as of late, but I've never really been happy with how those pads fit. They were great starter pads for me and they helped me transition from playing on tennis courts, to inline and now ice, but I feel like I know enough now where getting new leg pads isn't a completely frivolous expense. Though now I really need to start working with a goalie coach, because I don't want to be the guy with nice equipment that still plays like rear end.

titanium posted:

Good call on the purchase.

I tried on some ZeroG's the other day and its crazy how much lighter they are than PIII's of the same size. They seem more friendly to hybrid goalies than the DX2 series. I plan on picking some up to replace my 994's if I can fit it in the budget.

The weight was one of the big things that won me over. From what I understand the main owner of Brian's also owns the company that produces the foam for Vaughn and most of the other companies and the Zero G uses a new Biotek foam that is extremely rigid, while still being very light. It has allowed them to make a thinner profile pad, while still providing the same amount of protection as the other pads.

I'll post more comments on the leg pads once they arrive, but after trying them on with my skates at the show and looking at what Vaughn and Bauer/Itech had to offer, I just liked the Brian's pads more. I didn't really get a chance to talk to the RBK rep, but I had ruled them out a while ago.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
How much lighter is really light? I haven't had a chance to try them in stores yet, so I'm curious how much lighter they made them.

Tearing out some extraneous poo poo on my Itechs has them down to six and change pounds a pad for a 38" pad, and frankly I don't see any way to get them lighter and have them last as long as they have, so I'm quite intrigued.

If you like wearing your pads tight to the leg, Itechs are pretty much the furthest you can possibly get to that feeling if you want to retain functionality. I've always thought that they work best with the knee straps keeping the knee loose but on the landing gear at all times, and then getting looser as you go down. That's applied for every pad they've made since they ripped off the Velocity, which makes sense, since the only way you were getting rotation out of the early Velocities without strapping them in a similar way is if you had one of those models with the poofy diamond grip stuff in the leg channel. It made the pad feel like it was a lot tighter than it really was.

Tim Thomas fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 5, 2009

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

My old blocker has been well used. It has a lot of puck marks since I am stronger with my blocker hand than my trapper hand, but I have never experienced any stingers from it and the only reason I am replacing it is because I decided to go with a full set of Brian's gear.

The blocking surface on the Itech is maybe fractionally larger, but the back of the blocking surface curves up more on the Zero G, which should hopefully help to prevent bounce overs.

Both gloves offer a lot of hand protection. The protection that the my X-factor blocker provided was more than adequate, but the side, thumb and index finger protection is much more rigid and beefed up tham my Itech. In fact the Zero G, has two layers of index finger protection. One large free floating finger guard, which almost seems unnecessary and then standard a standard finger guard behind that. Some goalies have complained that the larger finger guard interferes with stick handling, which is something that I could see being an issue, but I'll have a better sense of that after I play tonight.

The knuckle guards are the Zero G are beefed up compared to my old blocker, which should provide additional protection in paddle down, though that's never been a problem for me.

Here is a picture of the free stuff that I got at the show today. I got a Warrior cap, an Itech water bottle, wrist band (not pictured) and t-shirt as well as a Brian's t-shirt and skate towel.

This is the new goalie bag I purchased. It is seemingly twice the size of my ancient Itech bag and it has the nice bonus of matching my gear.

The best thing about the bag is that I can fit all of my gear including my leg pads in it. With my old bag, I didn't have room for my mask, leg pads or clothes, so that made carrying everything at once a bit of challenge, but I am stubborn and would always manage to carry everything in one trip. I debated getting a wheeled bag or looking for something with a bunch of pockets, but having one huge bag to carry everything was enough for me. It is also made out of a weird material where skate cuts are not supposed to tear the bag apart. I guess that's good, but it wasn't really a factor in my decision.

So overall I am very happy with my purcahses so far, the blocker seems very nice, though the protection seems almost overkill, the bag is big enough to fit all of my gear and I think the leg pads should be a big step up from my Itech 7.8 Vamps. Now I just need to get on the ice and of course wait for my leg pads to be made or if I am lucky shipped from Canada.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 5, 2009

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

I just go back from the goalie show today

Nobody told me about a goalie show. :mad:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Nobody told me about a goalie show. :mad:

It's still going on. It's at the LaQuinta Inn on the NE corner of Shea and the 101. I was going to mention that to you on Friday, but I just didn't get a chance, since I had to get home right away.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

It's still going on. It's at the LaQuinta Inn on the NE corner of Shea and the 101. I was going to mention that to you on Friday, but I just didn't get a chance, since I had to get home right away.

Dammit. Wish I had time to get over there but I'm playing at 3:30 at Ice Den. I was hoping to find a Brian's blocker to match my catcher. This itech is complete poo poo.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Tim Thomas posted:

How much lighter is really light? I haven't had a chance to try them in stores yet, so I'm curious how much lighter they made them.

Tearing out some extraneous poo poo on my Itechs has them down to six and change pounds a pad for a 38" pad, and frankly I don't see any way to get them lighter and have them last as long as they have, so I'm quite intrigued.

If you like wearing your pads tight to the leg, Itechs are pretty much the furthest you can possibly get to that feeling if you want to retain functionality. I've always thought that they work best with the knee straps keeping the knee loose but on the landing gear at all times, and then getting looser as you go down. That's applied for every pad they've made since they ripped off the Velocity, which makes sense, since the only way you were getting rotation out of the early Velocities without strapping them in a similar way is if you had one of those models with the poofy diamond grip stuff in the leg channel. It made the pad feel like it was a lot tighter than it really was.

The leg pads weigh about 4.5 pounds each and while I am not sure exactly what the gloves weigh, I know that the Zero G trapper felt like it was significantly lighter than the Vaughn 7500.

I agree that the Itechs were a bad fit for someone that likes to wear their straps tighter. It felt like the pads were designed to only fit people with cankles. I have gone back and forth between wearing them tighter and looser and I never quite found a balance that I was completely happy with. They were either so tight that they probably cut off circulation (due to the extra holes I added in the straps) or so loose that they felt like they were barely hanging onto my legs. Still though I only paid $300 something for those pads when they were new and they were a nice starter set that kept me safe while I tried to figure out just how serious I was about playing hockey.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Which old Itechs did you have, for pads? You've probably posted it before, but, yknow, lazy. Are you looking to get rid of them?

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Which old Itechs did you have, for pads? You've probably posted it before, but, yknow, lazy. Are you looking to get rid of them?

My leg pads were Itech 7.8 Vamps and my gloves were Itech 7.8 X-factors.

Edit: I can get rid of them as soon as my new leg pads arrive. I'll post pictures when I can and I'd be willing to get rid of them for a very reasonable price.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Dammit. Wish I had time to get over there but I'm playing at 3:30 at Ice Den. I was hoping to find a Brian's blocker to match my catcher. This itech is complete poo poo.

I didn't see any Brian's blockers there that matched your catcher (black with white accents right?), but I was mainly looking for white, black and silver gear, so it is possible that I missed it.

• Locked thread