Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I'm in Australia and get the iPhone or the Samsung Omnia on a AUD$69 plan with any number of providers.

The features I really want:
- Good GPS software so I can use this in the car. I'd prefer something which doesn't have to download maps as I drive. Something like the Tomtom
- Basic internet browsing, I want to be able to check gmail/calendar/tasks.
- A decent ebook reader.
- Good music player. I'm planning on selling my iPod nano once I upgrade my phone, I'm assuming the iPhone would have the "better" music player.

Battery life isn't that important as I've got chargers at home, work, and in the car.

Obviously the iPhone is more popular, but my work phone is an older non-touch screen Windows Mobile phone and I quite like it and like what I've seen of the Omnia so far.

The other option is the HTC DIAMOND, but I'm not entirely sure what I should go for...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

# Country/Provider: USA/Sprint-Nextel Baltimore Md area/Panhandle of WV area
# Current contract status: piggybacked on Dad's work plan 500 mins/unlimited nights/weekends. finally getting my own plan
# Budget (phone/plan):I'd like to keep about the same amount of minutes, be as cheap as possible. I only really use my phone on nights and weekends anyways.
Phone-I'd like to keep it ideally as one of the free phones or under $100
# Features I know I want: Either the sprint coverage in the WV area sucks or my phone does, but I am in WV during the week for work and near Baltimore on the weekends, so I'd like a phone that actually will work in both places.

I don't text or e-mail or internet on the phone, so I really only need a voice plan.

Just looking to get a recommendation on who would have the best coverage with a good solid phone.

According to the coverage maps Verizon seems to have the best coverage in WV but after reading the whole thread I am weary of all the bad press they seem to be getting here.

help me goons

What kind of phone do you have now? If it's a lovely free phone, it might just be the phone.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
Is there such a thing as a cellphone that doesn't have a slider, isn't a flippy phone, doesn't have a camera and isn't a touch screen? This also excludes phones with keyboards.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Total Fat Guy posted:

Is there such a thing as a cellphone that doesn't have a slider, isn't a flippy phone, doesn't have a camera and isn't a touch screen? This also excludes phones with keyboards.

Yes. But you're generally looking at some extremely low-end machines, in that case.

Like Nokia 1000-series or Motorola F3 low.

There ARE some decent phones which meet your criteria (see here) but not a single one is US 3G ready.

Or you're on Sprint and you have a few options (edit: Like the Sanyo S1!), but Sprint makes it a pain in the rear end to look.

Or you're on Verizon, which (according to their site) has nothing that meets your criteria.

Or you live in Europe or Japan or something, in which case just get the camera-free variant of the Nokia E51 and be done with it.

vv vv Yeah, I probably should have cited an example.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 29, 2009

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Yes. But you're generally looking at some extremely low-end machines, in that case.

Like Nokia 1000-series or Motorola F3 low.

There ARE some decent phones which meet your criteria (see here) but not a single one is US 3G ready.

Or you're on Sprint and you have a few options, but Sprint makes it a pain in the rear end to look.

Or you're on Verizon, which (according to their site) has nothing that meets your criteria.

Or you live in Europe or Japan or something, in which case just get the camera-free variant of the Nokia E51 and be done with it.

Thanks.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Or you're on Sprint and you have a few options, but Sprint makes it a pain in the rear end to look.

Sanyo S1.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

900ftjesus posted:

What kind of phone do you have now? If it's a lovely free phone, it might just be the phone.

It is a Motorola i530 I have had for years and years now.

Patman
Oct 11, 2004

# Country/Provider: USA/none

# Current contract status: None, I recently canceled my Cingular contract as it had expired.

# Budget (phone/plan): $30ish dollars a month, it depends on the plan. I am going for prepaid

# Features I know I want: Just a cell phone. I don't really care about features. I am after the best prepaid/pay as you go plan I can find. I rarely used my old cell phone and I have free phone in my apartment, so I figured for when I am out and about for errands it'd be good to have a cell phone. I am a cyclist so for safety reasons I like to have one.

This is what I kind of have in mind, but I just don't know what the best/good deal is:

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Phones/Detail.aspx?class=prepaid&device=d8681713-8bc1-42c5-9dd8-50e9613a78fa

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Thumposaurus posted:

It is a Motorola i530 I have had for years and years now.

You're using an iDEN phone (old Nextel network). Sprint and Nextel may be one company, but they operate two separate, incompatible networks. Get a Sprint CDMA phone, not an iDEN phone, and you should have better reception most places. It's cheaper than Verizon, and if you make sure you have free roaming on your plan you can use Verizon's towers for free without paying their rates.

who's your crawdaddy
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer
# Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

# Current contract status: Contract finished this month

# Budget (phone/plan): Pretty flexible here

# Features I know I want: Slim phone, and texts

I am pretty much in the exact same boat as jeeves who posted a few pages ago. My motorola slvr has bitten the dust and I want another slim replacement. Except I don't care about a qwerty keyboard.

He ended up deciding on a Nokia E71 and I'm looking at those but I'm wondering if I can get something thinner if I sacrifice the full keyboard and any other features besides calls and texts.

Any recommendations?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

who's your crawdaddy posted:

# Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

# Current contract status: Contract finished this month

# Budget (phone/plan): Pretty flexible here

# Features I know I want: Slim phone, and texts

I am pretty much in the exact same boat as jeeves who posted a few pages ago. My motorola slvr has bitten the dust and I want another slim replacement. Except I don't care about a qwerty keyboard.

He ended up deciding on a Nokia E71 and I'm looking at those but I'm wondering if I can get something thinner if I sacrifice the full keyboard and any other features besides calls and texts.

Any recommendations?

The E71 is as thin as you get. It's only 10mm thick! It's 2mm thinner than your Slvr. Get the E71. It's a great phone.

I'd get the unbranded E71 so you can use data at $15 a month instead of the E71x's $30 a month for data.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I'm wondering if I can get something thinner if I sacrifice the full keyboard and any other features besides calls and texts.

If having a 9mm phone instead of a 10mm one is just that important to you, look into the Samsung A727. AT&T doesn't seem to offer them themselves anymore, but they should still be available at retail both online and off.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

900ftjesus posted:

You're using an iDEN phone (old Nextel network). Sprint and Nextel may be one company, but they operate two separate, incompatible networks. Get a Sprint CDMA phone, not an iDEN phone, and you should have better reception most places. It's cheaper than Verizon, and if you make sure you have free roaming on your plan you can use Verizon's towers for free without paying their rates.

Thanks, that makes the choice easy then since sprint does have a cheap plan that has everything I need. The Sanyo S1 is a good phone?

Blaber66
Oct 5, 2005
I LOVE COCK AND I PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE WITH MY MAD SKILLZ
Country/Provider: United States/Sprint
Current contract status: SERO plan
Budget: Anything up to maybe 150 dollars, preferably less.
Features I know I want: Up until now I've had a very horrible Tracfone, so really all I know I want is the basic features(texting and calling). I'm looking more specifically for a Smartphone though. I'd like to have a built in camera, with picture messaging. I spend a large amount of time texting, so maybe one of those fold out QWERTY keyboards would be useful for that. A problem I've had with the Tracfone is that it doesn't take the whole text message that I get, if the message is too big. I'm hoping thats just a Tracfone thing, but I better have a phone that is great for text messages!

I'd like it to have a lot of features for media. Playing music, and preferably movies, is a must. If it doesn't have a big built in memory(at least 8 gb), it would need to accept SD cards or something like that. Because the plan has internet included, it also needs to have internet. (Although I think that is a common feature of Smartphones)

This may have been a very specific description, but I really need to make sure I like the phone! Thanks!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
# Country/Provider: USA, AZ, Qwest

# Current contract status: Ancient phone and the contract was started over 4 years ago.

# Budget (phone/plan): Under $70 a month.

# Features I know I want: Normal calling. I don't text and am leery of getting hit with fees for it. I'd love something similar to the iPhone with Internet and email capacities. If I did have texting, of course, I wouldn't need voicemail. No camera needed.

Also, same info about, save for my mom; looking for maybe $50 a month, and she just wants a basic, no Net, no texting, phone. I can always give her my old one if I get a new one though.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I can't stand using a smartphone alone, because I need to be able to access the agenda WHILE SPEAKING.
So I'm looking for a decent smartphone/PDA that is very compact (thickness is key), and a basic compact cellphone with good handsfree calling or easy to push/recognize by touching buttons. Both with awesome battery life, and if possible usb charging like my old GPS PDA ?

I'll buy it independantly from any carrier or whatever, price is not important.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
# Country/Provider: USA, Northern Virginia, T-Mobile
# Current Contract Status: Complete in August 09 (T-Mobile told me they'd give me a new phone discount as early as May 09 with contract renewal)
# Budget: < $180/month ( for two phones, including data) (we currently pay about $80 for both phones, no data)

What I'm looking for: Smart Phone with web browsing capability (preferably with WiFI, but not required) and reasonable music playing ability. I am interested in something with geeky app potential, like an iPhone, G1, or high-end Samsung. MY WIFE works at a law firm that forbids personal internet access, so she's looking for something that will let her step out of the office and check personal e-mail and websurf. Something that's reasonably rugged, or has a good "armored" case available would be good--we tend to drop cell phones.

Bonus questions: I would love an iPhone, but that requires a switch to AT&T--worth it? I would also enjoy the next iteration of the G1 Google Phone, since G1 seems to need a little tweaking from what I've heard: anything on the horizon (or offer comparable features) on the T-Mobile side?

Bonus 2 Edit: I've been with T-mobile for almost 4 years. Will that get me any leverage in negotiating a plan if I stick with them?

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 1, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Spatule posted:

I can't stand using a smartphone alone, because I need to be able to access the agenda WHILE SPEAKING.
So I'm looking for a decent smartphone/PDA that is very compact (thickness is key), and a basic compact cellphone with good handsfree calling or easy to push/recognize by touching buttons. Both with awesome battery life, and if possible usb charging like my old GPS PDA ?

I'll buy it independantly from any carrier or whatever, price is not important.

Go for AT&T and the Bold. You can do simultaneous voice and data with GSM 3G. The Bold is also a great phone. You can also try the iPhone 3G, but the Bold is better for business. The Bold is suited towards getting things done.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Blaber66 posted:

Country/Provider: United States/Sprint
Current contract status: SERO plan
Budget: Anything up to maybe 150 dollars, preferably less.
Features I know I want: Up until now I've had a very horrible Tracfone, so really all I know I want is the basic features(texting and calling). I'm looking more specifically for a Smartphone though. I'd like to have a built in camera, with picture messaging. I spend a large amount of time texting, so maybe one of those fold out QWERTY keyboards would be useful for that. A problem I've had with the Tracfone is that it doesn't take the whole text message that I get, if the message is too big. I'm hoping thats just a Tracfone thing, but I better have a phone that is great for text messages!

I'd like it to have a lot of features for media. Playing music, and preferably movies, is a must. If it doesn't have a big built in memory(at least 8 gb), it would need to accept SD cards or something like that. Because the plan has internet included, it also needs to have internet. (Although I think that is a common feature of Smartphones)

This may have been a very specific description, but I really need to make sure I like the phone! Thanks!

For $200 there's the Treo Pro and for $300 there's the Touch Pro. There's nothing on Sprint for $150 that does everything you want.

publicblast posted:

# Country/Provider: USA, Northern Virginia, T-Mobile
# Current Contract Status: Complete in August 09 (T-Mobile told me they'd give me a new phone discount as early as May 09 with contract renewal)
# Budget: < $180/month ( for two phones, including data) (we currently pay about $80 for both phones, no data)

What I'm looking for: Smart Phone with web browsing capability (preferably with WiFI, but not required) and reasonable music playing ability. I am interested in something with geeky app potential, like an iPhone, G1, or high-end Samsung. MY WIFE works at a law firm that forbids personal internet access, so she's looking for something that will let her step out of the office and check personal e-mail and websurf. Something that's reasonably rugged, or has a good "armored" case available would be good--we tend to drop cell phones.

Bonus questions: I would love an iPhone, but that requires a switch to AT&T--worth it? I would also enjoy the next iteration of the G1 Google Phone, since G1 seems to need a little tweaking from what I've heard: anything on the horizon (or offer comparable features) on the T-Mobile side?

Bonus 2 Edit: I've been with T-mobile for almost 4 years. Will that get me any leverage in negotiating a plan if I stick with them?

Call T-Mobile, tell them you want to cancel your plan and see what they'll do to keep you. You can get some free stuff added to your plan or a pride reduction if you aren't a deadbeat who's always late with the bills.

New Android phone on T-Mo:
http://phandroid.com/guide/t-mobile-g2/
Passed the FCC, so it should be out before too long.

As far as "the next big thing," the Palm Pre release date on Sprint should be announced soon, it looks like the next big smartphone platform. You can get any two phones, data, text for $120/month on SERO (see the thread) or $140/month regular price.

The iPhone costs a decent amount of money over the life of a contract, it's really up to what you think it's worth.

All that said, if I were not under contract right now, I'd wait a few months to see what's coming. The iPhone, in my opinion, is missing features that I would call requirements (MMS, copy/paste). All of which are being fixed in the new software release this summer. If it were an open development platform, I might consider it, but that's just personal preference.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
Hello everyone,
My dad is flying in next month and a few months ago I asked him to pick me up an iPhone 3G and he did. Apparently he also received a sony ericsson xperia x1 as a gift but found the fonts far too small to read and said that we could 'swap' phones.

This has me interested. I have never used a touchscreen phone, and in fact, I've not ever really played around with my friends' iphones either so I am effectively a smartphone virgin. I still use my 2006 Samsung E250 and this is my chance to enter the world of pda's and stuff.

Now I want to ask you which phone I should go for. I like apple's gimmicks and 'fashionability', but I also want a phone I can do my work with. I send receive emails all day, need to access a lot of pdf's and office documents and sometimes I don't have access to my laptop in the field. I also need to be able to smoothly browse the web for my job anywhere, anytime so yeah, I need help.

I hear that the iphone's camera is poo poo whilst the xperia has a decent cam on it, but I am also put off by the whole windows mobile element of it. I personally have no gripes with windows or ms, but apparently the windows software on mobiles are drat crap and buggy.

So what do I do? Do I opt for the iphone, or x1. One seems to give me an edge over the other with work related stuff, but the other is drat fine and fun to play with.

:/

note: oh and to clarify, I live in Turkey so some of the stuff available to you guys isn't in service here yet (like 3G service, its due out in a couple of months) so yeah... just to let you know.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Went in to get my upgrade/contract extension yesterday with Sprint and got the HTC Touch Pro as recommended. I just cannot say thank you enough. I love it and it's exactly what I wanted. In reality, I probably would have enjoyed the Treo Pro as well, but I have to say, that slide out keyboard is just pure awesome and was ultimately what made me decide to go the more expensive route.

Now I am seeking further advice. I haven't ever tried to alter a phone before (other than installing a better browser) and would like to know some good resources so I can check out some of the HTC hacks I've heard about. Will hacking my phone void the TEP?

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
- Country/Provider: USA, Florida, AT&T

- Current contract status: ~1 year in of a 2 year contract in August

- Budget (phone/plan): <$300 (tax excluded) for the phone and monthly <$90

- Features I know I want: I receive emails frequently through exchange, I also enjoy sms and mms, I don't really call people too much. Only the occasional call here and there so minutes isn't too big of an issue for me. I love a phone that can be customized in terms of the software portion of it.

I currently have an iPhone 3G and it seems like the whole touch interface and all these apps are getting to be a bit gimmicky and old. I am considering waiting out for the next gen iPhone but I just wanted to see what you guys/gals may recommend.

I was looking at the Noka e71x, Blackberry Bold, and the Palm Pre (Not AT&T though). Any input would be great!

Thanks

who's your crawdaddy
Jul 22, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Godzilla07 posted:

The E71 is as thin as you get. It's only 10mm thick! It's 2mm thinner than your Slvr. Get the E71. It's a great phone.

I'd get the unbranded E71 so you can use data at $15 a month instead of the E71x's $30 a month for data.

What does unbranded mean?

Will I be able to pop my sim card into this and it will work?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

What does unbranded mean?

Will I be able to pop my sim card into this and it will work?

Unbranded means you won't have to deal with the AT&T crapware of the E71x. You can also use the $15 MediaNET plan instead of the $30 smartphone data. You'll be able to pop your SIM into that and it'll work.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I have a friend on Verizon that is looking for a new phone. He wants to try out WinMo and it needs to have a physical keyboard.

He's looking at the Samsung Saga right now as VZW doesn't have that great of a selection of phones. He also just got a cheap Moto Q 9C on eBay to try out. I recommended the HTC Touch Pro, but he said those are gimped on VZW.

Any recommendations or anything coming out soon he might want to wait for?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

BonoMan posted:

I have a friend on Verizon that is looking for a new phone. He wants to try out WinMo and it needs to have a physical keyboard.

He's looking at the Samsung Saga right now as VZW doesn't have that great of a selection of phones. He also just got a cheap Moto Q 9C on eBay to try out. I recommended the HTC Touch Pro, but he said those are gimped on VZW.

Any recommendations or anything coming out soon he might want to wait for?
I know you can get a Sprint Touch Pro and make it work on Verizon, but he wouldn't be able to use any NE2 type discounts to get the phone (would have to go through eBay). Other than that, there really aren't any good WinMo phones on Verizon that meet his needs. The Omnia is probably the next best bet, but lacks his physical keyboard.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

900ftjesus posted:

New Android phone on T-Mo:
http://phandroid.com/guide/t-mobile-g2/
Passed the FCC, so it should be out before too long.
Thanks, this might be the ticket!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Country/Provider: WV,USA, AT&T

Current Contract Status: 0-year contract, up for renewal

Budget: None/None

-Features I want: This phone is for the Mrs. I'd like to get her a phone with a touch screen, mp3 playback, keyboard (physical or virtual). She doesn't need an iPhone because she won't use the data stuff so I can't justify $30 a month plan. I checked out AT&T's site, and it looks like Samsung has what appears to be decent phones like the Impression and Eternity. However, I'm not familiar with other brands like LG or Pantech. Any recommendations on those brands or the Samsung models I listed?

edit: As for myself I'm up for renewal too. I'm torn between the Fuze and the iPhone. Right now I have a Blackjack 2 so I'm familiar with Windows Mobile. I'm impressed by the features and other functions of the Fuze. However, the iPhone is just as impressive. Everyone I talk to who owns one loves it. I personally do not know anyone with the Fuze, so it's hard to get opinions from people in the flesh.

What are some pros and cons for each?

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 7, 2009

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Joe Don Baker posted:

Country/Provider: WV,USA, AT&T

Current Contract Status: 0-year contract, up for renewal

Budget: None/None

-Features I want: This phone is for the Mrs. I'd like to get her a phone with a touch screen, mp3 playback, keyboard (physical or virtual). She doesn't need an iPhone because she won't use the data stuff so I can't justify $30 a month plan. I checked out AT&T's site, and it looks like Samsung has what appears to be decent phones like the Impression and Eternity. However, I'm not familiar with other brands like LG or Pantech. Any recommendations on those brands or the Samsung models I listed?

edit: As for myself I'm up for renewal too. I'm torn between the Fuze and the iPhone. Right now I have a Blackjack 2 so I'm familiar with Windows Mobile. I'm impressed by the features and other functions of the Fuze. However, the iPhone is just as impressive. Everyone I talk to who owns one loves it. I personally do not know anyone with the Fuze, so it's hard to get opinions from people in the flesh.

What are some pros and cons for each?

You can ask about the Fuze in the Touch Pro thread, they're the same phone. You'll get people who love, hate and love/hate it. I'm a big fan of Windows Mobile being more of a pocket computer than a walled garden like Android or the iPhone, although WinMo is definitely in need of an overhaul. I can deal with its bullshit since it requires absolutely no hacking to do anything you want.

The iPhone can be pretty open but it requires more hacking and every new software update requires a new hack or you have to deal not being able to use stuff like Pandora or Skype over 3G even though you're paying out the rear end for it.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
# Country/Provider: USA

# Current contract status: Verizon, contract on my dad's family plan, ending in mid-June. Need to break off the family plan because I'm moving out.

# Budget (phone/plan): For the sake of curiosity, I would like to say none. I don't want to spend an absurd amount, though.

# Features I know I want: I would really rather stick with Verizon, which is a shame because I'm hopelessly in love with the iPhone. I really want a phone where I can go online as easy as the iPhone. I don't care about music playing ability, the most important thing to me is that I can browse the internet easily. I also like a long-lasting battery. I also have bad hearing, so I'd like to be able to hear someone easily. I'd also like something that won't break easily, and isn't a gigantic behemoth. A camera on the phone is also nice but it's not fabulously important to me.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Carebear posted:

I don't want to spend an absurd amount, though.

Carebear posted:

I would really rather stick with Verizon

Carebear posted:

I really want a phone where I can go online as easy as the iPhone.
yeah good luck with all that

Wait a couple of weeks for the Palm Pre to drop on Sprint, and get the EPRP plan that everyone else here uses so you can pay $60/month for voice, unlimited 3G, and unlimited SMS.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

900ftjesus posted:

The iPhone can be pretty open but it requires more hacking and every new software update requires a new hack or you have to deal not being able to use stuff like Pandora or Skype over 3G even though you're paying out the rear end for it.

Uhm, you can use Pandora over 3G no problem on an iPhone.

Basically, the split between winmo and iphone is paying more to not use a pain in the rear end interface. Apple Tax. (Have we figured out the dollars and cents on this? is it $10/mo? $15?)

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Steinbeck posted:

Basically, the split between winmo and iphone is paying more to not use a pain in the rear end interface. Apple Tax. (Have we figured out the dollars and cents on this? is it $10/mo? $15?)

The data plans for the Fuze and the iPhone are equal in monthly cost, so I'm not sure what you're on about.

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
What is the price difference per month between the Blackberry Storm and the iPhone, including the phones themselves and the service with unlimited 3G and SMS?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Noctone posted:

The data plans for the Fuze and the iPhone are equal in monthly cost, so I'm not sure what you're on about.

You can get away with using the MediaMax Unlimited which is $15.

edit: Anyway, I went with the iPhone and a Samsung Impression. It appears to be a pretty decent dumbphone.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Joe Don Baker posted:

You can get away with using the MediaMax Unlimited which is $15.
Surely you don't mean for the iPhone, do you? Being able to put the iPhone on the $15/month data plan through some kind of hacks or trickery would be pretty neat.

Logic suggests that you'd need to buy a cheapo 3G phone, add the $15/month plan, acquire an iPhone from eBay or similar, jailbreak it, and stuff the SIM in. I just kinda figured that AT&T would sniff the iPhone's IMEI and stick the $30 plan on your bill.

Any insight into this?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

kalibar posted:

Surely you don't mean for the iPhone, do you? Being able to put the iPhone on the $15/month data plan through some kind of hacks or trickery would be pretty neat.

Logic suggests that you'd need to buy a cheapo 3G phone, add the $15/month plan, acquire an iPhone from eBay or similar, jailbreak it, and stuff the SIM in. I just kinda figured that AT&T would sniff the iPhone's IMEI and stick the $30 plan on your bill.

Any insight into this?

I think he was talking about the Fuze, but either way it's irrelevant because, unless I'm misinformed, AT&T has gotten pretty hardcore about using IMEI numbers to make sure people are on the right data plan. I've never had them automatically switch a data plan on me, because I've never tried to use the wrong plan, but I can attest to the fact that they definitely know what phone you have - when I had an unlocked Fuze, briefly, it showed up on OLAM very soon after I'd put the SIM card in and started up the phone.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Noctone posted:

I think he was talking about the Fuze, but either way it's irrelevant because, unless I'm misinformed, AT&T has gotten pretty hardcore about using IMEI numbers to make sure people are on the right data plan. I've never had them automatically switch a data plan on me, because I've never tried to use the wrong plan, but I can attest to the fact that they definitely know what phone you have - when I had an unlocked Fuze, briefly, it showed up on OLAM very soon after I'd put the SIM card in and started up the phone.

I've been using the MediaMax $15 on my Blackjack 2 for a year or so with no complaints from AT&T.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Joe Don Baker posted:

I've been using the MediaMax $15 on my Blackjack 2 for a year or so with no complaints from AT&T.

Fair does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Noctone posted:

Fair does.

What? I'm not sure what you're saying.