Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

siamesegun posted:

More great info, thanks. How would I go about updating the mobileinstallation? Just grab it off Cydia after the jailbreak?

I'm a little reluctant to give out too much info due to the potential :filez: issue, but a quick googling will help you out.

Super Dude posted:

Can I just use that straight away on my ipod if I have the untethered jailbreak or do I need to do something special?
the ipodtouchfansforum has a method for untethered jailbroken ipods, but it's not as 'automated' as QuickFreedom, I was already running the untethered jailbreak but it was really no effort to just use the build in itunes factory reset and running QuickFreedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcarsenal
Jun 15, 2003

Great success today with the jailbreak. Turns out, you need to jump through a few hoops to get libusb working properly in a 64bit environment. But, this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oABVOajGfW8&feature=related walks you through everything and provides you with what you need.

After that initial step jailbreaking the 2G touch was as easy as running Quickfreedom. I'm currently restoring all my music through iTunes and I can confirm my touch is fully jailbroken with Cydia and Installer loaded. Pretty painless process, really.

edit: restoring my iPod didn't get my music back for some reason :( Kinda sucks, but at least I'm jailbroken.

Arcarsenal fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 27, 2009

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

siamesegun posted:

edit: restoring my iPod didn't get my music back for some reason :( Kinda sucks, but at least I'm jailbroken.

If I remember correctly, restoring only restores the settings and firmware and such on the ipod, it doesn't keep track of the library.

DominionOfSatyr
Jan 14, 2008

Deconsecrate
My brother found an iPod touch [16GB] recently and gave it to me to jailbreak.

Small problem though, the iPod has been disabled and the only option it gives me is to connect to the original pc it was synced to. Is there a way to bypass this with DFU mode perhaps?

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Just got my ipod touch today and had a quick question; If you jailbreak you can just restore the official firmware if you ever had to send in your ipod while it was under warranty, correct? Or can they detect that you've messed with it somehow? I'm curious as if they can as then buying applecare would be pointless, but if they can't and you can just restore the official firmware then it could be worth it. I've had applecare in the past on older ipods, and it was always sweet to walk into a store with an issue and have them swap a malfunctioning ipod out for a new one.

Edit: Answered my own question by checking out the ipodtouchfans forum, looks like I'm correct in that as long as you can restore to the official firmware they have no way of knowing. Has anyone here ever sent in a jailbroken device and had any issues getting it repaired/replaced?

Protip fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 28, 2009

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
If you restore there is no way they can tell. It's a software mod and thus easily reversible.

edit; didn't see your edit. ^_^

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Can someone suggest some good winterboard themes? The ones I keep finding are complete crap.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

DominionOfSatyr posted:

My brother found an iPod touch [16GB] recently and gave it to me to jailbreak.

Why not turn it in to a lost and found or something first?

DominionOfSatyr
Jan 14, 2008

Deconsecrate

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Why not turn it in to a lost and found or something first?

Don't know where he found it but generally in this area if you lose something, its gone for ALL ETERNITY

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

DominionOfSatyr posted:

Don't know where he found it but generally in this area if you lose something, its gone for ALL ETERNITY

Yeah, I'm not trying to get on you/your brother's case or anything, but if he found it somewhere that would have a desk/office for that stuff, it just seems like common courtesy to at least check. I've had people "find" my ER6i's and bicycle helmet before and it's frustrating that they helped themselves rather than turn them in (airport and library, respectively). If it was just on the sidewalk or whatever, then yeah, it's probably not going to find its way back to its original owner.

DominionOfSatyr
Jan 14, 2008

Deconsecrate
Yeah I know what you mean, wasn't a facility/school/workplace though. We've had luck finding these things I guess because I actually found an iPhone 2G in a dirty alley a few months ago laying on the floor.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Super Dude posted:

I don't quite get what you want this app to do. Do you want to visit certain wiki pages and have it save them to your ipod? I assume you don't want the wikipedia library on your ipod because that wouldn't be possible.

Why would that not be possible? English wikipedia is "only" 2.9 gigs. (IIRC)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:TomeRaider_database

for example.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 29, 2009

DominionOfSatyr
Jan 14, 2008

Deconsecrate
Anyone know the answer to my question above? :[

Edit: Nevermind, finally figured it out.

DominionOfSatyr fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 29, 2009

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I was able to very easily jailbreak my new 2g touch last night and I've been having a lot of fun playing around with it. One thing I've noticed is that as a new owner the sheer number of apps and games feels a little overwhelming at first. With so much out there it is hard to know what is worth checking out. I've found a few good looking websites like toucharcade.com and 148apps.com for info and reviews, but does anyone else have any resources they'd recommend bookmarking? How about any websites that have a full list of all available apps/games, as browsing through iTunes feels bulky when you're not looking for anything specific. I've even tried just searching youtube for people's top app/game reviews to get an insight into what is out there.

I was also wondering if anyone had any recommendations for helping to improve the performance of emulators. I tried out the NES emulator, and I do understand they are all still in development, but I was surprised when even the first Super Mario Brothers didn't run that smoothly.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Crowley posted:

What a brilliant app. $5 well spent.
I got this one when it was still a free app. >95% of my Touch usage is within this app. It kicks rear end.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Arrowsmith posted:

I got this one when it was still a free app. >95% of my Touch usage is within this app. It kicks rear end.

Good software is worth supporting.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Crowley posted:

Good software is worth supporting.

It's not like he can go back and pay for it now.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
My Touch has been acting screwy and I've been thinking a Restore is in order (was meaning to clean out my iTunes library anyways). Will I loose my savegames/high scores on apps when I restore, or are they also backed up to the iTunes library?

I'm also planning on migrating computers, I take it I can get my old apps back by just loading my iTunes account on the new computer, correct?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Pompous Rhombus posted:

My Touch has been acting screwy and I've been thinking a Restore is in order (was meaning to clean out my iTunes library anyways). Will I loose my savegames/high scores on apps when I restore, or are they also backed up to the iTunes library?

I'm also planning on migrating computers, I take it I can get my old apps back by just loading my iTunes account on the new computer, correct?

What is it doing?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
can you put the unlocked touch's wifi card into promiscous mode?

I'm mainly interested in putting wireshark, nmap, aircrack, etc on it

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

GregNorc posted:

can you put the unlocked touch's wifi card into promiscous mode?

I'm mainly interested in putting wireshark, nmap, aircrack, etc on it

Into what mode?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
Holy crap I just found the jailbreak app that syncs Calendar with Google Calendar. I have been looking for a way to do this for AGES with no luck. It took literally 10 seconds to set up with this app.

<3 Jailbreak!

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003
I jailbroke my 2g touch last week and since then it's generally been less cool that it was before. It seems pretty unstable, programs unexpectedly close a lot more (probably because of low memory), and I don't see a big advantage to jailbreaking. So, I want to restore it back to the original firmware but when I try to download it through itunes it times out. Is there any place online I can download the 200mb+ restore file which I can then apply with itunes?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

ProdigalSon posted:

I jailbroke my 2g touch last week and since then it's generally been less cool that it was before. It seems pretty unstable, programs unexpectedly close a lot more (probably because of low memory), and I don't see a big advantage to jailbreaking. So, I want to restore it back to the original firmware but when I try to download it through itunes it times out. Is there any place online I can download the 200mb+ restore file which I can then apply with itunes?

How long are you waiting? Itunes is a pretty crappy program on Windows and can take absolutely forever for some things.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Speaking of restoring original firmware, I think I bricked my Touch. Last night I did a Restore, then re-jailbroke it, downloaded a few apps, and everything was working fine. As soon as I connected it to my new computer and it go put in recovery mode (blank screen, no controls work), and attempts to restore the original firmware in iTunes fail with an Error 1618. It used to get as far as "checking firmware", now it dies during the "preparing iPod for restore" stage. It shows up in OS X as "Apple DFU device". Am I totally screwed?

Edit: it's a 1G

Somebody
Jan 25, 2001

Heh

Bink posted:

Holy crap I just found the jailbreak app that syncs Calendar with Google Calendar. I have been looking for a way to do this for AGES with no luck. It took literally 10 seconds to set up with this app.

<3 Jailbreak!

Just a reminder that this can also be done without a need to jailbreak! Google has instructions on how to set up with exchange.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

You all need to download FlightControl right now. It's only a dollar and is one of the most fun games I've come across.

Nick VTX
May 16, 2002
Wow, I've been waiting for this forever. Thanks for the heads-up! Btw, here's a direct link for anyone that needs it.

Sync: Set Up Your iPhone or iPod Touch
To set up Google Sync on your iPhone or iPod Touch device, please follow the steps below.
http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252

Somebody posted:

Just a reminder that this can also be done without a need to jailbreak! Google has instructions on how to set up with exchange.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Super Dude posted:

Into what mode?

generally, packets going over wifi are addressed to specific people... your wireless card only grabs the ones for your mac address. putting the card into promiscuous mode lets you capture all packets on all channels as they float around.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Nick VTX posted:

Wow, I've been waiting for this forever. Thanks for the heads-up! Btw, here's a direct link for anyone that needs it.

Sync: Set Up Your iPhone or iPod Touch
To set up Google Sync on your iPhone or iPod Touch device, please follow the steps below.
http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252

Well what the heck. I swear I was looking up how to do it on Google, and the only thing it would work with was the iPhone. Something about mobile.google.com and entering a phone number.

edit: Doesn't work? It is only syncing new events. I have a ton of events already in my Google calendar that I want synced. :confused:

dc3k fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 3, 2009

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Can anyone recommend me a good forum for jailbreaking/that sort of thing? I've been trying to get my Touch unbricked all day and have had zero luck. It's stuck in DFU mode and I can't restore (gets about 75% though, to "verifying restore" and then either freezes or gives me an error message) I've tried Windows, OS X, numerous different firmwares, QuickPWN, ZiPhone, etc.

edit, to contribute

ProdigalSon posted:

Don't want to be too specific, but they're readily available on torrent sites. Hold down shift when you click the "restore" button and it will let you browse your hard drive to select the firmware file.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 3, 2009

Somebody
Jan 25, 2001

Heh

Bink posted:

Well what the heck. I swear I was looking up how to do it on Google, and the only thing it would work with was the iPhone. Something about mobile.google.com and entering a phone number.

edit: Doesn't work? It is only syncing new events. I have a ton of events already in my Google calendar that I want synced. :confused:

Could this be your issue? http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=139206&cbid=-1mpc1207fbz1c&src=cb&lev=answer

Also try going to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars and scroll all the way down and mess with the Calendars options.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

mintskoal posted:

You all need to download FlightControl right now. It's only a dollar and is one of the most fun games I've come across.

Oh god this game is addicting. Can't stop...

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Took my bricked Touch in to the Apple Store, they decided to give me a new one within 15 seconds of me explaining the situation and them plugging it in to a computer. Nice since mine was a refurb (was surprised it was still under warranty) that came with scratches, and this one is brand new. Thanks Apple :unsmith:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is now a good time to buy an ipod touch? I wanted to get a 16 gig one and use it mainly for internet at school so I don't have to bust out my gigantic laptop everytime and for gaming when I'm on the subway.

Someone I know mentioned I should wait till Tuesday because there's like some announcement concerning the ipod touch/phone and I may want to hold off till then so that's why I'm asking here. What was he talking about?

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 5, 2009

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Away all Goats posted:

Is now a good time to buy an ipod touch? I wanted to get a 16 gig one and use it mainly for internet at school so I don't have to bust out my gigantic laptop everytime and for gaming when I'm on the subway.

Someone I know mentioned I should wait till Tuesday because there's like some announcement concerning the ipod touch/phone and I may want to hold off till then so that's why I'm asking here. What was he talking about?

I think they are announcing a new firmware update. I don't think a new touch will come out until at least the fall.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is there a way to transfer NES and SNES roms to the ipod for emulation or are the sources for those considered :filez:?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Vintersorg posted:

Is there a way to transfer NES and SNES roms to the ipod for emulation or are the sources for those considered :filez:?

You can SSH into the ipod, and yes I am pretty sure they are :filez: so you can google it (look on youtube).

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What do people recommend for a good screen protector? My cellphone always gets scratches and I think I should avoid that with this device.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Away all Goats posted:

What do people recommend for a good screen protector? My cellphone always gets scratches and I think I should avoid that with this device.

I went with Best Skin Ever as it was extremely cheap and is pretty well liked by many reviewers and goons alike. Not only do they send you a skin to cover the entire front of your ipod (including the home button) but you get a skin to protect the back. I found installation to be very straightforward and pretty simple. It looks and feels great, and I'd definitely recommend them. Shipping was incredibly fast too which was nice.

I think the best thing is that even after applying the skin the ipod should still be able to fit in most cases. After I put the BSE on my touch I used the NeoTouch from Switcheasy for added protection.

• Locked thread