Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

Hey toy fans, you might enjoy my latest custom job as seen in this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3102544

That is awesome, why aren't you working in the industry to improve the quality of figures?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:
That's some of the best custom work I've seen; the level of detail on the armor is crazy. I also can't believe you went out and carved wooden daggers.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Good work. Now do something with a better IP :D

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I just now saw the MU figures for the first time in person (and the Wolverine: Origins line), and Holy Hell I'm not touching those. If they end up releasing some of my absolute favorite characters I might pick up them up, but even then they would really have to improve the paint app.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Agrias120 posted:

I just now saw the MU figures for the first time in person (and the Wolverine: Origins line), and Holy Hell I'm not touching those. If they end up releasing some of my absolute favorite characters I might pick up them up, but even then they would really have to improve the paint app.
I actually get a kick out of the DC Universe counterparts; I've got a couple of them and I'm not even a DC comics reader at all. They're less expensive and I think they look a LOT better. But spending $8.00? Hell no.

I'm looking forward to the (hilarious) Terminator Salvation movie toys that come out sometime next month. Figures.com just put up a shitload of pictures of them, including galleries of them both in and out of their packaging. They're being released in 3 scales (3.75", 7", 10") and I'm gonna pick up a few of the 7" ones (T-1, T-600, T-700, T-800). I'm also very tempted to get the 3.75"-scale Aerial HK. The 7"-scale ones have light-pipe eyes (just like the old Kenner T2 toys did! :haw: ) and the 10" ones have light-up LED eyes and poo poo.

The Terminator Salvation toys aren't at all "super-realistic" like the NECA and McFarlane ones are, but I still think they're super-hilarious and totally remind me of the wacky ACTION FEATURES toys from the 90s. It makes my inner child all nostalgic and I love it.
People on toy forums are raging against them saying "URGHHH THEY LOOK LIKE TOYS FROM THE 90s". Yes they do, and that's AWESOME.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Xenomrph posted:

I actually get a kick out of the DC Universe counterparts; I've got a couple of them and I'm not even a DC comics reader at all. They're less expensive and I think they look a LOT better. But spending $8.00? Hell no.

I thought the exact same thing. At my Target they are on pegs RIGHT next to each other, and the difference is sickening. Hasbro really needs to fight for better placement, because them being side by side is an embarrassment.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
Didn't someone do made to order custom muggs?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Bushifox posted:

Didn't someone do made to order custom muggs?

That was probably me. I made like around 10 for people around Christmas after everyone saw the secret santa gift I did.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

Fish Of Doom posted:

That was probably me. I made like around 10 for people around Christmas after everyone saw the secret santa gift I did.

still doing it? charge?

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
So, having bought some more Marvel Universe figures...

Deadpool is actually really good so long as you ditch the sai... he's probably my second favorite so far.

Green Goblin is by far my favorite, the level of detail on him is incredible, he's actually comparable to his larger Marvel Universe Counterpart... I just wish his glider had a display stand or something.

Gambit too is also pretty cool. He's got some issues in that he lacks a lot of articulation compared to the others(He's just got the basic old fashioned G.I.Joe articulation pretty much) but he's still a solid figure. The cards have this weird thing so he can hold them but honestly it doesn't look that bad.

Spider-man and Iron Man both kinda suck. Maybe it's just mine but both of their joints are pretty loose and wobbly. Spider-man has way too much black-wash, and very weird proportions. His thighs are super-meaty and overly big and his ankles look weird. This is probably just limitations on how thin you can make a figure.

Also the weird energy blast/webbing things they come with are stupid and don't stay on right.

As a whole, I actually kinda like the line, and would consider collecting it if not for the price. I guess I'll continue to pick a few up here and there of the figures I really want. I wish there were more incentive to get them though given the high price. Having BAF's included would be awesome, for instance.

liquidswordz
Mar 21, 2003

LightsGameraAction posted:

So, having bought some more Marvel Universe figures...

Deadpool is actually really good so long as you ditch the sai... he's probably my second favorite so far.

Green Goblin is by far my favorite, the level of detail on him is incredible, he's actually comparable to his larger Marvel Universe Counterpart... I just wish his glider had a display stand or something.

Gambit too is also pretty cool. He's got some issues in that he lacks a lot of articulation compared to the others(He's just got the basic old fashioned G.I.Joe articulation pretty much) but he's still a solid figure. The cards have this weird thing so he can hold them but honestly it doesn't look that bad.

Spider-man and Iron Man both kinda suck. Maybe it's just mine but both of their joints are pretty loose and wobbly. Spider-man has way too much black-wash, and very weird proportions. His thighs are super-meaty and overly big and his ankles look weird. This is probably just limitations on how thin you can make a figure.

Also the weird energy blast/webbing things they come with are stupid and don't stay on right.

As a whole, I actually kinda like the line, and would consider collecting it if not for the price. I guess I'll continue to pick a few up here and there of the figures I really want. I wish there were more incentive to get them though given the high price. Having BAF's included would be awesome, for instance.

I picked up a couple more of these the other day, too.

Iron Fist isn't really good. He has major paint problems because of the color of the plastic they used for his costume. It doesn't mix with the flesh tones well. The yellow looks surprisingly good, though. Also, they used the Silver Surfer body as a blank base, but didn't change the hands, so he doesn't exactly have an iron FIST.

I also got the Hulk and Ronin. I dig the hulk because he's pretty huge compared to the others. He's only a little taller, but he's really, really broad. That makes him look MASSIVE next to the others.

Ronin is my new favorite, I think. My only issue is that his little skirt thingie kind of hurts the articulation, but otherwise, he's really well done. It's a great sculpt with nearly perfect paint and good accessories. I'd recommend this one if you're thinking about keeping up with the line.

I'm also super-jealous of your Green Goblin, because I haven't gotten him or Bullseye yet.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Bushifox posted:

still doing it? charge?

It honestly comes down to the character you want and how much detail there is and if I have to sculpt any extra parts.

Example: Joker, Harley, and Bowser would be a bit more since they have a lot of small intricate detail (Joker) or have custom sculpted stuff (Harley's hat, Bowser's spikes).

Whereas something like the Invincible I did for Elijya would be cheaper since it's only a simple paint job with no tiny detail

Also if it's a really obscure character or one with different costumes, it'd be awesome to provide me with a reference picture or two. I don't know the Marvel Universe that well except for the main guys. Elijya had to provide with stuff about the Crusader I did because not even GIS returned anything.

Name who you want and I'll quote you a price.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Dumb question: What scale are the 6in figures on?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Donde Esta posted:

Dumb question: What scale are the 6in figures on?

1/12 or Doll House Scale.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
I did some customs too! <3

eBay

I put them all on eBay since I don't have a job and need to make money somehow.

Jet Ready Go fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Mar 25, 2009

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Since I couldn't resist buying Blue and Gold when I saw them in Wal-Mart today, I've got a pair of Atom Smasher legs that I will never, ever use. If anyone wants them hit me with a PM or something.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Triphos posted:

Since I couldn't resist buying Blue and Gold when I saw them in Wal-Mart today, I've got a pair of Atom Smasher legs that I will never, ever use. If anyone wants them hit me with a PM or something.

Speaking of which nobody has a Gorilla Grodd Build-a-figure right leg lying around? I really want to complete that ape, but I don't want Firestorm.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

Triphos posted:

I'm jealous, can't find anything at my local wal mart.

But I am slightly sated by the Optimus Prime mugg I got at target.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Satch posted:

I'm jealous, can't find anything at my local wal mart.

But I am slightly sated by the Optimus Prime mugg I got at target.

Tell me about it. My Walmart hasn't stocked any DCUC since wave 5 back in october. All that's left is 1 lonely Riddler sitting on the pegs.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Action Man posted:

Speaking of which nobody has a Gorilla Grodd Build-a-figure right leg lying around? I really want to complete that ape, but I don't want Firestorm.

I actually do, but it's in Colorado while I'm in Oregon for college. If you paid her I bet my mom would go pick it up and ship it out though.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Haha, I know its not an action figure, but drat I want to order this. And if they made a figure out of it, I'd buy it.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=MRC10000&mode=retail&picture=out

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Not to turn this into a custom figure thread, but thought I'd show off the Red Hood I just finished and the Deadpool I'm working on:

Front

Click here for the full 616x821 image.

Back

Click here for the full 547x730 image.

Side

He has to finish drying before I can seal the paint, but I'm rather pleased with how he came out. Got the idea off of Kyle Robinson's site and used a ML Moon Knight head and boots and a ML Xorn body. I'm currently working on making him a kris.

Front

Upclose

Back

Side

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm using a Moon Knight upper and a Cable 2-pack lower. If the back and bicep molding looks sloppy, it's because it's not done drying; I'll clean it up. I made the machete and the ninja sword out of fixit clay, and plan on making another ninja sword with sheaths for both to go on the back harness. Other than that I'll probably start painting tomorrow or on the weekend.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

Fish Of Doom posted:

It honestly comes down to the character you want and how much detail there is and if I have to sculpt any extra parts.

Name who you want and I'll quote you a price.
If you'd be up for any extra orders I'd love an Invincible custom and a Molly Hayes from Runaways.

I found a great gallery of Molly pics:
http://www.comicvine.com/molly-hayes/29-1936//images/?page=1
Her main trait is her different "hats".

I've uploaded some sets that give the best idea for both of my favorites. The above gallery has a lot more pictures of all of her other "hats" and these. I don't know what'd be easiest for you as far as the hats and her clothes in general. She wears normal clothes and it changes kind of often.

Pom-Poms (Mola Ram horns shaped/moved?) Figured this might be the hardest.
https://wi.somethingawful.com/fc/fcd7ec9720a210d6940cf817c29ba8b75ed24839.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/44/443852627f17d4aaaa995123488f78d7952452bb.jpg (Best Shot)
https://wi.somethingawful.com/88/88dc4500deddf0227dc1c82d4dc81c5eee885596.jpg

Bunny
https://wi.somethingawful.com/f8/f81ad475fee6bb74c64d1f6ecb227dd02a53ebdf.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/09/091c3aa39e003814c5a2072c3e8db85d3797d714.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/71/710e07c497a2d9c208bd117d68cd244e31851564.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/59/596b59798c2c29e8cbb4aea6d9af1b6606273e46.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/79/79463666884a7f8ea9ce36dd7fe3f10977e7360c.jpg (Back Shot)

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico
Does anyone but Thor have a hat-piece that could work for that and be removable?

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

bgaesop posted:

I actually do, but it's in Colorado while I'm in Oregon for college. If you paid her I bet my mom would go pick it up and ship it out though.

Go to my profile and if you have the time, shoot me an email about it. As long as it isn't a huge pain in the rear end for you and family.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

RusteJuxx posted:

If you'd be up for any extra orders I'd love an Invincible custom and a Molly Hayes from Runaways.

Man, I still need to read Runaways.

I'm always up for more orders. For Invincible, would you want something similar to the one I made for Elijya or would you want it different like his newer costume or less crazy hair or whatever?

For Molly, would it be absolutely imperative that the hat be removable? A lot of her hats are tight to her head and if it isn't removable, I could just sculpt extras onto it. Like the Pom Pom or bunny hats, I could just add the dangling pom poms or ears. With her, it'd be great to also have the specific attire, like pink hoodie or white tanktop or what.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Action Man posted:

Go to my profile and if you have the time, shoot me an email about it. As long as it isn't a huge pain in the rear end for you and family.

What's your address? If you don't want to post it here my email is bgaesop at gmail

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Just found a Deadpool at TRU the other day..

I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed though.. the sculpt of the figure is fine but the upper thigh area isn't a ball joint the way the Marvel Universe figures are.. and as a result takes a bit more playing around with in order to pose well. In fact trying to move the leg around has shredded some of the plastic where the leg swivels. What the gently caress?

Still a nice figure.. but I'm buying a lot less of these than I expected due to the price point.

I bought two but now I'm wondering whether or not to return the 2nd one.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Jet Ready Go posted:

Just found a Deadpool at TRU the other day..

I gotta say I'm a bit disappointed though.. the sculpt of the figure is fine but the upper thigh area isn't a ball joint the way the Marvel Universe figures are.. and as a result takes a bit more playing around with in order to pose well. In fact trying to move the leg around has shredded some of the plastic where the leg swivels. What the gently caress?

Still a nice figure.. but I'm buying a lot less of these than I expected due to the price point.

I bought two but now I'm wondering whether or not to return the 2nd one.

You know what is depressing that I just realized? Less than 5 years ago you could have got a much better Deadpool, in a larger scale, with a flight stand and Doop for less than what that Deadpool costs.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Djarum posted:

You know what is depressing that I just realized? Less than 5 years ago you could have got a much better Deadpool, in a larger scale, with a flight stand and Doop for less than what that Deadpool costs.

I paid 7.99 for this guy.. so maybe it's the -same- price?

But yeah I know what you mean.. I'd kill for the Legends Deadpool... who probably uses the same size sai my little guy does. :(

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Well, if you could find it

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
my LCBS has one MOC for $60 if you really wanted it I could get it for you

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Fingers McLongDong posted:

my LCBS has one MOC for $60 if you really wanted it I could get it for you

Thanks for the offer, but even that's too much for me atm (No jobbies).. which is why I would rather murder someone for it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just picked up that Deadpool too. Both his leg ball joints are really loose and spin so easily. I've got him standing finally. The huge sai seems so out of place.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

The_Doctor posted:

I just picked up that Deadpool too. Both his leg ball joints are really loose and spin so easily. I've got him standing finally. The huge sai seems so out of place.

The sai's place is in the garbage.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Joe Fisto posted:

The sai's place is in the garbage.

Ha. I just went looking for the sai. I had unconsciously put it back in the packet and then thrown that in the trash.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
"Okay, let's save money on plastic by shrinking our line down to 4" but let's give our characters massive weapons to make up for it!"

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Louisgod posted:

"Okay, let's save money on plastic by shrinking our line down to 4" but let's give our characters massive weapons to make up for it!"

What makes it even more retarded is that it's Hasbro, who has been making ninja figures via G.I. Joe since 1984. You'd think there'd be somebody who works there who would go "uhhhh... seriously guys? seriously?" or here's a thought- just give the guys with weapons G.I. Joe weapons. They're in the same drat scale anyway.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

LightsGameraAction posted:

What makes it even more retarded is that it's Hasbro, who has been making ninja figures via G.I. Joe since 1984. You'd think there'd be somebody who works there who would go "uhhhh... seriously guys? seriously?" or here's a thought- just give the guys with weapons G.I. Joe weapons. They're in the same drat scale anyway.

My biggest issue was why they aren't making them out of the same plastic and interchangable parts with GI Joes.

I dunno.. call me crazy but you'd think they could re-use the average Snake Eyes mold a few more times to throw out a Deadpool I wouldn't be ashamed of owning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Jet Ready Go posted:

I paid 7.99 for this guy.. so maybe it's the -same- price?

Nope. When Legends first started, it was a 5.99-6.99 line, and that carried through up until the later BAF waves of toy biz, and spiked when Hasbro took over.