Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Jedi posted:

Everyone knows that it's wrong to mindlessly slaughter animals for entertainment. But they were on a scientific expedition and it was the reason they were there. I could've done without the PETA-don't-sue-us bullshit every 5 minutes.

It's funny that they're so worried about the Shark but had no problem showing Mike rip off the legs from live crab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

The Dark One posted:

It's funny that they're so worried about the Shark but had no problem showing Mike rip off the legs from live crab.

Crab legs regenerate! :science:

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Burning_Monk posted:

It probably still hurts him, though, and all the other crabs will call him "Nine-leg Nick" until it grows back all the way. I mean, our hair grows back, but does that mean you're fine with Mike Rowe coming by and yanking it out for no reason?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Burning_Monk posted:

In this case they didn't have the chance to regrow since their torsos were then dumped in a huge-rear end pressure cooker. :(

edit: on the plus side, I now know that cheap crab paste is mostly comprised of ground up shell

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I love how the current run of shows is the complete opposite of like, a year ago. Discovery Channel a year ago was just mass crabbing techniques, cutting down trees, and Les Straud snapping a rabbit's neck and sucking out the juices. For some reason they had a huge hard on for destroying the environment.

Now it's Whale Wars and Mike Rowe objecting to killing sharks.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Slashie posted:

It probably still hurts him, though, and all the other crabs will call him "Nine-leg Nick" until it grows back all the way. I mean, our hair grows back, but does that mean you're fine with Mike Rowe coming by and yanking it out for no reason?

I know you're joking and all, but I'd still be careful about thinking what a crab feels is "pain." It's not pain in the way we sense it, with deep emotional scarring and exhausting physical rehabilitation along with various degrees of post-traumatic stress. It's a nerve sensation that it reacts to and then its "brain" quickly shuts out. They're arthropods, after all. Pretty much ocean insects.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

ashpanash posted:

I know you're joking and all, but I'd still be careful about thinking what a crab feels is "pain." It's not pain in the way we sense it, with deep emotional scarring and exhausting physical rehabilitation along with various degrees of post-traumatic stress. It's a nerve sensation that it reacts to and then its "brain" quickly shuts out. They're arthropods, after all. Pretty much ocean insects.

Are you also under the impression that I think crabs can talk?

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007

Slashie posted:

Are you also under the impression that I think crabs can talk?

Thats quite an apt description of what I think at least.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

ashpanash posted:

Yeah guys, evolution didn't arrange for dismemberment to be an unplesant sensation to be avoided until humans, that's why we are all dominant and stuff. The nerves in crabs don't actually fire, they're there for show.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Unormal posted:

Yeah guys, evolution didn't arrange for dismemberment to be an unplesant sensation to be avoided until humans, that's why we are all dominant and stuff. The nerves in crabs don't actually fire, they're there for show.

I'm not restricting emotional involvement in pain to humans, I think most mammals have similar reactions. But arthropods and mammals are pretty far from each other on the nervous system's complexity scale.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

edit: Double post. Sorry.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Just watched the episode of Survivor Man where he got him self lost in a hiking park and it really sucks he wont be doing it any more. The guys advised always seem more practical.

Though I feel sorry for him mostly because being alone for a week like that has to be loving horrible. I may not be the most social person in the world but that kind of isolation really has to wear on the mind.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Darth Freddy posted:

Just watched the episode of Survivor Man where he got him self lost in a hiking park and it really sucks he wont be doing it any more. The guys advised always seem more practical.

Though I feel sorry for him mostly because being alone for a week like that has to be loving horrible. I may not be the most social person in the world but that kind of isolation really has to wear on the mind.

I doubt it bothers him. The dude is a more than a little nuts; him and his wife lived in the wilderness for a year without any tools or gear, and now his family lives like crazy backwoods "off the grid" :tinfoil: types.

He's probably more stressed by being around people.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Here's a Mike Rowe talk from somewhere.

http://fora.tv/2008/12/12/Mike_Rowe_on_Discovery_Realization_and_Lamb_Castration

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Last night's episode of Dirty Jobs was one of the rare ones with the "This program contains graphic content..." warning before hand. The first part wasn't too bad, but the job at the rendering plant was disgusting. I was glad I wasn't watching it in HD. I did always wonder where synthetic oil came from and it looks like part of it is rendered animal fat.

If you remember "One Way Out" from last year, it looks like the official season is starting up next week. They've cut it down to 30 minute episodes and it starts next Monday (1/26) at 9.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wonder what the deal is with having 30 minute episodes and then running them back-to-back. They did the same with the slow-mo show. Do they get broadcast split up somewhere?

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

smackfu posted:

I wonder what the deal is with having 30 minute episodes and then running them back-to-back. They did the same with the slow-mo show. Do they get broadcast split up somewhere?

I'd imagine it's probably easier to syndicate 30 minute episodes across their various networks than hour long episodes, but that's just me guessing.

I'm really excited about One Way Out, it looks cool.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Haha wow. Every one remember the :black101: pest control people Mike Rowe worked with? Turns out the guy has his own show on A&E now, and he dresses even more :black101:

Edit. Baby raccoons are cute as hell.

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 12, 2009

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

There's some show on Food Network starring one of the losers of Next Food Network Star where he does various odd (and often gross) jobs that relate somehow to food. It's pretty much Dirty Jobs but uninteresting and with a host that's about 1/10th as cool. It's embarassing.

Speaking of Food Network, I've been thinking of making a Food Network thread, but I'm afraid that I might be the only person alive interested in talking about Food Network shows.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Trophy Boner posted:

Speaking of Food Network, I've been thinking of making a Food Network thread, but I'm afraid that I might be the only person alive interested in talking about Food Network shows.

Oh, people like to talk about Food Network...

It's actually really sad, there's not a lot of worthwhile shows to talk about.

Good Eats is, well, good.

Iron Chef is at least interesting.

Ace of Cakes gets a pass.

That's pretty much it.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

timb posted:

Oh, people like to talk about Food Network...

It's actually really sad, there's not a lot of worthwhile shows to talk about.

Good Eats is, well, good.

Iron Chef is at least interesting.

Ace of Cakes gets a pass.

That's pretty much it.

There's other good shows, like Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, Chopped and maybe Ultimate Recipe Showdown (still not sure about it). But I'm probably right in that nobody else besides me would want to talk about those shows.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Trophy Boner posted:

There's other good shows, like Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, Chopped and maybe Ultimate Recipe Showdown (still not sure about it). But I'm probably right in that nobody else besides me would want to talk about those shows.

I caught an episode of Chopped the other day and it's way too dark. It's like they decided to save on the budget for the show by turning off half the studio lighting.

More on subject, I'm liking One Way Out, even if it is "let's think of really dangerous things to do so we can simulate things". This week's episode he wanted to investigate projectile motion, so naturally they built a human slingshot, tied him up, and loaded him into it. He had 30 seconds to escape before he'd be shot into a lake.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

LordOfThePants posted:

More on subject, I'm liking One Way Out, even if it is "let's think of really dangerous things to do so we can simulate things". This week's episode he wanted to investigate projectile motion, so naturally they built a human slingshot, tied him up, and loaded him into it. He had 30 seconds to escape before he'd be shot into a lake.

I really like the concept and part of the execution; how it's just him, the engineer and the camera guy.

The problem lies in the fact they're trying way too hard to stretch the content out. It's like MythBusters, after every loving commercial break they have to give you a full recap and show you the exact same footage you just watched.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

LordOfThePants posted:

I caught an episode of Chopped the other day and it's way too dark. It's like they decided to save on the budget for the show by turning off half the studio lighting.

It's a really good show though. I was wary about it at first, but it's easily my favorite "competition" show on FN. For one, it's real chefs, which is pretty strange for FN. Plus, the "mystery ingredients" actually make things interesting, whereas in Iron Chef America, they're completely boring and don't bring any excitement to the show. Also unlike ICA, the winner isn't ever a foregone conclusion. It's neat seeing what the chefs come up with on ICA, but you never really see them cooking the dishes, just little snippets that don't add up to anything. On Chopped, you see exactly what they're doing and how they're doing it.

Anyway, sorry for the derail. You can see now why I'd want to make a thread for this stuff...

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

quote:

Adam Savage's twitter said:
This just in Mythbuster fans: Kari Byron is pregnant! Congrats Kari, I can't wait to meet the new mythbuster!

I hope they do a show on Pregnancy Myths.

anotherone fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 25, 2009

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

anotherone posted:

I hope they do a show on Pregnancy Myths.

Drinking while pregnant gives you a tard baby: Confirmed :downs:

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Anyone catch the Dirty Jobs 200 jobs special last night? It was a clip show, but I didn't find it too annoying since most of the clips were things I had long forgot.

At the end, Mike announced that he was going to quit because after 200 jobs he couldn't take any more.

Then of course there was a dramatic pause where Mike was off camera and then comes back on and says "Come on, you didn't really buy that, did you?". Fooled me at least - I even checked the Tivo guide info to see if it said anything about it being the series finale

Don Music
Jun 20, 2008

LordOfThePants posted:

Anyone catch the Dirty Jobs 200 jobs special last night? It was a clip show, but I didn't find it too annoying since most of the clips were things I had long forgot.

At the end, Mike announced that he was going to quit because after 200 jobs he couldn't take any more.

Then of course there was a dramatic pause where Mike was off camera and then comes back on and says "Come on, you didn't really buy that, did you?". Fooled me at least - I even checked the Tivo guide info to see if it said anything about it being the series finale

I watched it, and I was all :wtc:, and then I found out I just got trolled hardcore :(

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Deadliest Catch is supposed to start up again on April 14, I can't wait. It's definitely one of my favorite shows.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hey it turns out that for some reason my cable company has completely dropped the Discovery Channel! While I didn't watch a lot of shows on it I enjoyed Mythbusters.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
That's really weird, Discovery has huge distribution. It's usually fringe channels that companies believe no one will miss that get the axe and silently disappear from popular packages

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
What's happening with Mythbusters anyway? They've been on an almost Battlestar Galactica length break.

I heard they recently detonated something that broke the windows of hundreds of houses and knocked some lady off her couch, so I know they're not dead in the water quite yet.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Gorilla Salad posted:

What's happening with Mythbusters anyway? They've been on an almost Battlestar Galactica length break.

I heard they recently detonated something that broke the windows of hundreds of houses and knocked some lady off her couch, so I know they're not dead in the water quite yet.

2 hour new material coming up in April. Don't know if it is legitimately a 2 hour special or if they are burning off what they have to make room for more Destroyed in Seconds and Detonators.

Also, The Pitchmen. THEY GAVE BILLIE MAYS A DAMNED REALITY CONTEST SHOW.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

The last episode of Mythbusters was in November. It only seems weird because Mythbusters doesn't have "seasons" really, they usually air year round, with occasional breaks lasting a week or a month at most. This is the longest break they've taken I believe, but I don't know why. Could be they just wanted a break, or Discovery wanted to time the "return" of Mythbusters with the return of some other shows, or Discovery had to cut back their budget, or maybe the Mythbusters just wanted to take more time to plan out their segments, or a hundred other reasons. Who knows.

I'm excited as hell for Mythbusters to come back, but I'm not sure if I want to keep reading this thread when it does. You people are so negative sometimes. :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think the thing about Mythbusters is that they can't magically just make time go faster and sometimes the experiments take a while to do or set up. It seems like a very time intensive show to make.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I think the thing about Mythbusters is that they can't magically just make time go faster and sometimes the experiments take a while to do or set up. It seems like a very time intensive show to make.

That's probably why they space out their episodes over the course of a year. If a particular episode/experiment is taking a long time, it isnt' a problem because they can just take a break from airing new episodes for a few weeks.

This abnormally long hiatus could be because of an episode/experiment taking an abnormally long time, but I think it's probably something else (more than likely they just needed a break and/or Discovery had to cut back on the budget).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

If they're really doing something about exploding thousands of windows, that could certainly take long enough for this gap.

I can't help but anticipate disappointment though, because nothing beats this for mass-destruction experiments: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFytcsA9mU8&feature=PlayList&p=74203B4EB533CBB3&index=6

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Speaking of Mythbusters, lately Discovery has been showing some of the earliest episodes on Sunday mornings. It's really interesting to see how the show has changed in the last few years.

I'm glad Deadliest Catch is coming up, I love that show.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5
Myhtbusters took a similarly long break last spring the only new episode between February and late July was the Alaska week special. I think Discovery is just changing their overall scheduling strategy. They tend to premiere new episodes of a bunch of shows all in the same month now several times a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Looks like my complaint was a little premature as Discovery is now back in my cable line up. It looks like it was just a victim of the cable company changing channels around and they just didn't put it in its new spot right away.

• Locked thread