Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
So, I've reading the hell out of this comic, over the last two days, and am up to 284.

This is the best webcomic I've ever read. It's hilarious and issue 12 had me rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Rubicon posted:

So, I've reading the hell out of this comic, over the last two days, and am up to 284.

This is the best webcomic I've ever read. It's hilarious and issue 12 had me rolling.

Be prepared for a lull in the 400-600s area, and then for things to turn loving awesome in rapid succession after.

edit: Just re-reading the last couple of strips, and wow, I just realized that V doesn't bother to heal his own family's currently broken/impaled limbs before turning his ire to the dragon.

Yeah, I'm going to side with the Evil camp now.

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 28, 2009

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

He is still an arcane caster, not a divine one :colbert:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Vanadium posted:

He is still an arcane caster, not a divine one :colbert:

There's a Necromancy spell in Spell Compendium that lets you heal others with your own life force. I very much doubt that any of them would have it prepared, however.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
one of them is a sorceror :smug:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nomenklatura posted:

That old Discworld comparison comes up again: the difference between a good and an evil man is that an evil man will linger, just to enjoy it, whereas a good one will kill you dead immediately.

I see this get brought up from time to time, and it's important to note that the reverse does not hold. Just because you kill someone immediately does not mean you are a good man. See Carcer and Teatime, or more relevantly, V and "Disintegrate, Gust of Wind."

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
Just to throw more fuel on the fire, at least the player group frowns on genocide for its own sake. I think its safe to say at least the non-Belkar characters would consider this an evil act.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's not genocide. It is, however, mass murder motivated entirely by revenge. The fact that most if not all of the victims were evil doesn't compensate for the fact that it was cold-blooded murder.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Wanderer posted:

It's not genocide. It is, however, mass murder motivated entirely by revenge. The fact that most if not all of the victims were evil doesn't compensate for the fact that it was cold-blooded murder.

You could construe it as not revenge, just making certain V's own family was safe from future revenge. The gloating makes it evil, not the killing so long as you argue it right.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
People keep saying that because V killed the dragons to forestall any of them trying to take revenge that it becomes less evil. I don't really get that.

If some king hears a prophecy that a child born in a certain month will eventually kill him, and he takes the step of killing all children born in that month, does his action become less evil since he's doing it to protect himself/his kingdom/his family (since he can argue that the other two would surely also be threatened by his untimely demise)?

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Despite all the well argued, well...arguments, it's pretty clear to us all that V is pretty loving evil.

Why? V has the evil eyes now!

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist

tazman posted:

Despite all the well argued, well...arguments, it's pretty clear to us all that V is pretty loving evil.

Why? V has the evil eyes now!

exactly! In terms of the comic it's pretty obvious from the context that Suvie = evil, regardless of the intellectual experiments people are playing.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Halloween Jack posted:

I know, it's weird. The bar has been raised. The low bar.

erfworld has been really good lately. if you haven't read it in a while, take a look.

Pyre_89
May 14, 2007

Saskatchewan Roughriders are the best football team EVAR!
First, I would like to mention that for all the people now calling V "Suvie", I hate you. (Same goes for those who use the word "hir")

Secondly, I don't think this makes V "really loving evil". Evil, sure, you have a case, but not "really loving". She is protecting her family, and I think that that constitutes an okay action (doesn't compare to the king killing babies, because the dragons are actually evil).

Yeah, it's mass murder. Yeah, its an evil act. But I don't think V now registers as "Strongly Evil". More like a "Lightly evil".

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Wow, that looks like something one of my old dickish DMs would try.

:hehe: Here is an awesome plot device disguised as a temporary boon, be careful though, because your alignment will shift as long as its active, but once it's over it will go back.
:dance: Awesome! pew pew! I win in a totally not contrived way!
:hehe: Well now you are irredeemably evil.
:saddowns: But you said.
:hehe: Yeah I said it would be only temporary because I wanted you to do a some bad things so I could change your alignment, also now I can say what your PC does and my campaign features a lot of rape from here on out too.
:colbert: I hate you Thomas. I will never play in one of your games again, and no girl who has ever played in one of your games will ever roleplay agin.
:supaburn: gently caress you guys, I made that game lovely on purpose! You don't know the first thing about roleplaying!

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Wow, that looks like something one of my old dickish DMs would try.

:hehe: Here is an awesome plot device disguised as a temporary boon, be careful though, because your alignment will shift as long as its active, but once it's over it will go back.
:dance: Awesome! pew pew! I win in a totally not contrived way!
:hehe: Well now you are irredeemably evil.
:saddowns: But you said.
:hehe: Yeah I said it would be only temporary because I wanted you to do a some bad things so I could change your alignment, also now I can say what your PC does and my campaign features a lot of rape from here on out too.
:colbert: I hate you Thomas. I will never play in one of your games again, and no girl who has ever played in one of your games will ever roleplay agin.
:supaburn: gently caress you guys, I made that game lovely on purpose! You don't know the first thing about roleplaying!

Well, the "DM" in this case is actually a group of three demons, so it makes sense they would pull a dickish move

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Blobone posted:

Well, the "DM" in this case is actually a group of three demons

One demon, one devil, and one dude we cannot quite agree how to spell. :colbert:

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Blobone posted:

Well, the "DM" in this case is actually a group of three demons, so it makes sense they would pull a dickish move

I have not been given sufficient proof that my former DM was not a conglomeration of three devils.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Shyrka posted:

People keep saying that because V killed the dragons to forestall any of them trying to take revenge that it becomes less evil. I don't really get that.

If some king hears a prophecy that a child born in a certain month will eventually kill him, and he takes the step of killing all children born in that month, does his action become less evil since he's doing it to protect himself/his kingdom/his family (since he can argue that the other two would surely also be threatened by his untimely demise)?

The two aren't really comparable, at least in this kind of setting. Humanoid babies, at least in D&D, are generally neutral or good. They have no general tendency to be evil, nor the ability. In D&D, however, black dragons are always evil. They come out of the womb, if not completely evil, headed towards it as soon as they are able. They also mature considerably faster than humanoid babies. If V made his living killing every black dragon he could find, would you consider him evil? They are evil creatures in this world, and if allowed to grow and thrive will cause massive suffering to innocent beings wherever they are. He just did it faster this way. Now I think he's definitely not good, but his actions in my mind, up to the point where he ignored his family's wounds and did the revenge portion of his plan weren't really that evil.

And really, how the gently caress did Suvie come around? It's still V, he's just more powerful. I guess I don't get the contraction.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

seaborgium posted:

And really, how the gently caress did Suvie come around? It's still V, he's just more powerful. I guess I don't get the contraction.

What's V's full name?

I don't think anyone is arguing about the evilness of black dragons, its the fact that a few of the things he murdered were, in fact, not full dragons, and thus not subject to the chromatic/metallic scale of dragon alignment

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
^^^ Vaarsuvius.

Vanadium posted:

One demon, one devil, and one dude we cannot quite agree how to spell. :colbert:

Daemon. :eng101:

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

pseudosavior posted:

^^^ Vaarsuvius.

Daemon. :eng101:

Yugoloth. Granted, they were once called daemons.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

seaborgium posted:

His partner referred to him as 'Suvie' in #639, and some people liked the name?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Phy posted:

I see this get brought up from time to time, and it's important to note that the reverse does not hold. Just because you kill someone immediately does not mean you are a good man. See Carcer and Teatime, or more relevantly, V and "Disintegrate, Gust of Wind."

The test should really only apply in cases where there is reasonable confusion over who the bad guy is. If it's someone who we've never seen do anything strictly evil but nonetheless have a really, really bad vibe about, then it's helpful. Lord Rust, in any incarnation for example.

For someone like Carcer or Teatime however it's redundant because their plans and methods are so blantantly monstrous that you can literally see the demons waving back form their eyes.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
:siren:New Strip is up:siren:

One down, two to go. Are those kids standing on broken legs?

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

I really love all the faces V is pulling in this one.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I mentioned them because I've got a vague memory of someone trying to claim he was really a good man because he killed people quickly, and if it's not Carcer I'm thinking of, it seems like exactly the sort of thing he'd say (except it would mean admitting to killing people).

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

maltesh posted:

Are those kids standing on broken legs?

I'm pretty sure they're not standing at all.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I wonder if the necromancer's going to find Xykon?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
That'd be so hilarious, Xykon gestalts into a level 40~ necromancer/level 25~ Sorcerer Lich.

Edit: You bought a car! We can't afford a car!
No no I didn't buy it! It's a Lease!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
The Ventral Planes.

That made me chuckle, for some reason.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Phy posted:

I mentioned them because I've got a vague memory of someone trying to claim he was really a good man because he killed people quickly, and if it's not Carcer I'm thinking of, it seems like exactly the sort of thing he'd say (except it would mean admitting to killing people).

It was eventually in reference to Carrot.

Carcer might kill people in a straightforward way but my God he never shuts up. "I can see your house from up here, haha! Fair cop, can't blame a man for trying, haha, haha, haha!"

That and towards the end of the book he doesn't hesitate to make gory threats to anyone that looks at him wrong.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
If I was in her shoes (do elves wear shoes?) I probably would have said "Uh... Yes Kyrie! I, Lord Unpronounceable of the seventh circle of Gehenna, have posessed the body of your beloved V! It was I who teleported the dragon here to devour you all, but V's love for you was so strong that she was able to force me to come here and destroy the dragon to protect you. But now I'm in control again. And, um, it was I and not her who cast the genocide spell. Even though it was my dragon. Cuz I'm evil."

Hey, Roy has been able to pass off some bigger bluffs in the past.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Liberal_L33t posted:

If I was in her shoes (do elves wear shoes?) I probably would have said "Uh... Yes Kyrie! I, Lord Unpronounceable of the seventh circle of Gehenna, have posessed the body of your beloved V! It was I who teleported the dragon here to devour you all, but V's love for you was so strong that she was able to force me to come here and destroy the dragon to protect you. But now I'm in control again. And, um, it was I and not her who cast the genocide spell. Even though it was my dragon. Cuz I'm evil."

Hey, Roy has been able to pass off some bigger bluffs in the past.

That doesn't fit V's character.

I think V was honestly expecting his/her partner to be impressed at the power V had amassed.

Pyre_89
May 14, 2007

Saskatchewan Roughriders are the best football team EVAR!
/\/\/\/\ That sounds about right. V just figures he did his family a world of good, and will be trying to convince them of such. He doesn't want some devil taking the credit for his victory, right? (I think the comic already proved that . . . )

It is cool to note that the Necromancer (AKA merciless killing machine) escaped first . . . I'm pretty sure this is Rich's way of saying that there isn't going to be any more killing. In the meantime, we still have a pretty big conjurer here (aka, master teleporter), as well as a sorcerer. Which, admittedly, could mean anything.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Now that the dragon is vanquished, V should release the other two souls right away to minimize the time the fiends get with his soul. Why is he still holding on?

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Now that the dragon is vanquished, V should release the other two souls right away to minimize the time the fiends get with his soul. Why is he still holding on?

Because there's other things he thinks he needs the power of the souls to do, probably.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Haschel Cedricson posted:

The character who's only goal in life was to amass as much arcane power as possible willingly giving up a massive amount of arcane power?

Do any of you actually read the comic or do you immediately rush to the source books to make sure he got the specifics of summon monster IV right?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

maltesh posted:

:siren:New Strip is up:siren:

One down, two to go. Are those kids standing on broken legs?

There aren't any rules for broken limbs, are there? I guess they can't move only when dramatically appropriate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

DoctorTristan posted:

I wonder if the necromancer's going to find Xykon?

The demon said without a mortal host. Aren't liches technically immortal?