Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
You think Mythbusters' schedule is intolerable as it is, but try getting Discovery Canada. They don't show new episodes on any specific day or even when they're new, you just have to sort through their miscellaneous timeslots and hope you strike a new ep you haven't seen now and then. They definitely don't program their playing order with any rhyme or reason and it's frustrating as a fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Lifehacker has a pretty good interview with Adam Savage here:

http://lifehacker.com/5190354/mythbusters-adam-savage-talks-tech-obsessions-and-science

There's some tidbits about upcoming myths throughout the interview.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
New episode tonight:

Destruction Derby Special
2 Hour Season Premiere!

Flipping a Bus (Based on the Movie "Speed")
Fan Revisit!: The Car Pancaked Between 2 Trucks!
Hollywood Crash Tests into a Fruit Cart!
And Can a Car survive a 4,000 Foot Drop?

I saw the car pancaked between two trucks the other day and wondered why they didn't just attach the car to the front of one truck and then rammed into the other truck at speed. Or possibly have put the whole lot on rails.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Mister Kingdom posted:

New episode tonight:

Destruction Derby Special
2 Hour Season Premiere!

Flipping a Bus (Based on the Movie "Speed")
Fan Revisit!: The Car Pancaked Between 2 Trucks!
Hollywood Crash Tests into a Fruit Cart!
And Can a Car survive a 4,000 Foot Drop?

I saw the car pancaked between two trucks the other day and wondered why they didn't just attach the car to the front of one truck and then rammed into the other truck at speed. Or possibly have put the whole lot on rails.

Hmm two hours for only 4 myths?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

ToastyPotato posted:

Hmm two hours for only 4 myths?

Maybe they'll cut out the filler. With commercials, that comes about 21 minutes per myth.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Maybe they'll cut out the filler. With commercials, that comes about 21 minutes per myth.

I fully expect that's how long it will take to watch it on a DVR. 21 minutes that is. For the whole thing.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

IRQ posted:

I fully expect that's how long it will take to watch it on a DVR. 21 minutes that is. For the whole thing.

I'm watching the re-run right now and I'm really glad I have a laptop to kill the filler

Edit: Holy christ. Rocket sleds are scary

J33uk fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 9, 2009

uuugghhhhhhhh jr
Nov 19, 2005

ugh
I have to say, that was a really really good episode. I must have said "holy poo poo" out loud at least 3 or 4 times.

My favorite part was during the "explosive welding" bit where you could see the shock wave :)

edit: it looks like this whole season is going to be really good. From the lifehacker interview posted earlier:

Adam Savage posted:

One of my favorite (experiment) categories over the past couple of years has been thought experiments. Things like, if a plane is on a conveyor belt, will it take off? One of those we hadn't tackled yet was, if you drop a bullet, and fire a bullet, from the exact same height, at the exact same time, they will both hit the ground at the exact same time.

Can't wait :)

uuugghhhhhhhh jr fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 9, 2009

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Great, another season of "myths" that anyone who was awake during high school physics could answer.*

*Not bitter about the plane one because they actually managed to approximate it at full scale, which looked really cool.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

McSpanky posted:

Great, another season of "myths" that anyone who was awake during high school physics could answer.*

*Not bitter about the plane one because they actually managed to approximate it at full scale, which looked really cool.

Yeah, the whole dropped car vs driven car I was mostly thinking "wait, can't you just debunk or prove this with 5 minutes and a calculator?"

I really hope it's not all stuff like that. I mean, I'm ok with that if lots of poo poo gets destroyed, but it's not really myth busting.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

McSpanky posted:

I actually like these a lot, as sure, in physics class, you do the math, you get the answer, but to our lizard brains, it doesn't really compute until you show us exactly that thing on a full scale.

Sure, many of us are accepting enough to say "ok, the math says it's so, so it is," But there's nothing quite like a full scale experiment to show "this - this is why math works. Look. Exactly what the math said it would do."

This is good.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

ashpanash posted:

I actually like these a lot, as sure, in physics class, you do the math, you get the answer, but to our lizard brains, it doesn't really compute until you show us exactly that thing on a full scale.

Sure, many of us are accepting enough to say "ok, the math says it's so, so it is," But there's nothing quite like a full scale experiment to show "this - this is why math works. Look. Exactly what the math said it would do."

This is good.

I don't mind the high school physics "myths", but I just wish they'd go back after the experiments and say "of course, we knew we'd get this result because of such and such theory". They do some of that now but still seem to want to stick to the "we were soooo surprised by the result, myth busted" routine as closely as possible.

Also, that rocket sled was loving cool.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Was the explosive welding blast last night the same explosion that shattered the windows and knocked over the old lady? That was big, but it didn't seem to be as big as the one reported in the news...

...plus I'm just hoping theres more kaboom awaiting in another episode.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

CaptainCrunch posted:

Was the explosive welding blast last night the same explosion that shattered the windows and knocked over the old lady? That was big, but it didn't seem to be as big as the one reported in the news...

...plus I'm just hoping theres more kaboom awaiting in another episode.

It's Mythbusters. There is always more kaboom.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

CaptainCrunch posted:

They were supposedly testing whether you can knock someone's socks off in the explosion that blew out the windows. I don't think it's aired yet.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Todd Flanders posted:

They were supposedly testing whether you can knock someone's socks off in the explosion that blew out the windows. I don't think it's aired yet.

Yeah, there's usually a huge delay between them performing the actions and air time. Mythbusters has a ton of post work.

I really enjoyed this season premiere. I love when the car got turned into a convertible and just kept going and jumped the bank. Seeing the real life scared faces on the people never gets old.

Also it would have been infinitely cooler if the semi had gone into the water.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

gregday posted:

Yeah, there's usually a huge delay between them performing the actions and air time. Mythbusters has a ton of post work.

I really enjoyed this season premiere. I love when the car got turned into a convertible and just kept going and jumped the bank. Seeing the real life scared faces on the people never gets old.

Also it would have been infinitely cooler if the semi had gone into the water.

I love the fact that Jamie was singing that it was going to go into the water if for no other reason than it was a gigantic "gently caress you I told you so" to Adam.

It's almost time for a new season of Deadliest Catch! Does anyone know if the Everest show is coming back?

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

ToastyPotato posted:

I love the fact that Jamie was singing that it was going to go into the water if for no other reason than it was a gigantic "gently caress you I told you so" to Adam.

It's almost time for a new season of Deadliest Catch! Does anyone know if the Everest show is coming back?
I don't think so Discovery made their advertiser upfront presentation last week and didn't mention it.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

gregday posted:

Yeah, I got quite the chuckle at seeing Kari going from "Oh poo poo, that was awesome" to "Oh poo poo this could be bad."

And really, who else would have fired rocket sleds into compact cars? That high speed shot of the impact was great.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Kwik posted:

And really, who else would have fired rocket sleds into compact cars? That high speed shot of the impact was great.

That was insanely amazing. The car was nearly vaporized.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

If they can make an entire show of people filming stuff with a high speed camera, maybe we can get an entire show of people dropping things from 4000 feet.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I hate you guys and your non-schizophrenic new episodes. I'm also looking forward to waiting a month for new Deadliest Catch episodes after you get them. Discovery Canada :argh:

edit: \/\/Not to mention we have to bring in a new co-host for Daily Planet every year or two after Jay Ingram eats their soul.

A Real Happy Camper fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 11, 2009

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Captain Novolin posted:

I hate you guys and your non-schizophrenic new episodes. I'm also looking forward to waiting a month for new Deadliest Catch episodes after you get them. Discovery Canada :argh:

Hey, those episodes of Chris Angel: Mindfreak don't come cheap.

Waverider
Oct 26, 2001

Universe Master posted:

Also, that rocket sled was loving cool.
They should have done it at one of the larger tracks around the country. 1,000 foot monorail is just about the smallest track in the country. The Navy has two dual rail tracks in California. A 3,000 ft one with a ski jump on the end and a 21,600 ft track that has gotten up to 6000 feet per second. The Air Force has a 3,000 ft track in Florida and a 50,000+ ft track in New Mexico. That one is the fastest in the world, they've gotten up to around 9,500 feet per second.

At one of those tracks they could have put the car on the sled and sent it into a target at Mach 1 or 2.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Could a production car even manage to stay together at Mach 1 or higher?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Capn Beeb posted:

Could a production car even manage to stay together at Mach 1 or higher?

I sincerely doubt that any regular car's alignment is good enough to take even a quarter of that for very long.

Waverider
Oct 26, 2001

IRQ posted:

I sincerely doubt that any regular car's alignment is good enough to take even a quarter of that for very long.

The car would be just sitting on the sled, it wouldn't be driving or anything like that. Once you get to the end of the track the car would be released and the sled is pulled away into the ground. You would probably have to weld the hood shut and remove the plastic parts. Otherwise it should be fine.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Waverider posted:

The car would be just sitting on the sled, it wouldn't be driving or anything like that. Once you get to the end of the track the car would be released and the sled is pulled away into the ground. You would probably have to weld the hood shut and remove the plastic parts. Otherwise it should be fine.

Oh I meant under its own power/on its own wheels. Hence commenting on the alignment.

If you put it on a sled just about anything could sustain mach 1, even an American car. Maybe. If duct tape and superglue was liberally applied. And you didn't expect it to run afterward (or, you know, ever, being an American car)

IRQ fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 11, 2009

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Huh... I always wondered what it would take to liquefy a car (2.6MB):

http://www.nmfree.com/SA/Crappy%20Images/Screencaps/Mythbusters/Rocket-Sled-v-Car.gif

Adam is right, you can see the shockwave expanding (2.1MB):

http://www.nmfree.com/SA/Crappy%20Images/Screencaps/Mythbusters/Explosive-Welding-Animated.gif

...and an oldie, just to be gratuitous (1.3MB):

http://www.nmfree.com/SA/Crappy%20Images/Screencaps/Mythbusters/Cement-Truck-Boom.gif

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

If you made those, any chance you could whip up an animated GIF of Adam when reacting to the rocket sled impact? That was hilarious.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

404GoonNotFound posted:

It's Mythbusters. There is always more kaboom.

Very good point.

Todd Flanders posted:

...awesome. Can't wait for that one.

Thanks

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

nmfree posted:

Huh... I always wondered what it would take to liquefy a car (2.6MB):

http://www.nmfree.com/SA/Crappy%20Images/Screencaps/Mythbusters/Rocket-Sled-v-Car.gif

Adam is right, you can see the shockwave expanding (2.1MB):

http://www.nmfree.com/SA/Crappy%20Images/Screencaps/Mythbusters/Explosive-Welding-Animated.gif

...and an oldie, just to be gratuitous (1.3MB):

http://www.nmfree.com/SA/Crappy%20Images/Screencaps/Mythbusters/Cement-Truck-Boom.gif

My favorite part about the rocket sled versus car is how the car doesn't even have time to move backward. If you look the car was just resting on those cinder blocks it wasn't secured at all but it doesn't budge until the sled has smashed almost the entire thing.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Did anyone else notice the scar next to Tori's left eye? At least it looked like a scar to me :ohdear:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I can't be the only one inexplicably mesmerized by crab fishing? Nobody is watching Deadliest Catch?

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

IRQ posted:

I can't be the only one inexplicably mesmerized by crab fishing? Nobody is watching Deadliest Catch?

I'll be your huckleberry!

Word is one of the captains dies this season... oh poo poo. Commercial break death tease!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Phil. :(

Also, what the gently caress is this Alaska crap. Bring back my crab captains!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Timby posted:

Phil. :(

Also, what the gently caress is this Alaska crap. Bring back my crab captains!

Alaska week sucks balls. There will also be lame episodes of Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters where they scrape below the bottom of the barrel somehow.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jesus Christ, Keith.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

What the hell, they didn't have a helmet or anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splendiferous
May 7, 2006

wah dee dah
Guys, Keith is one of my favorite captains on the show and I wanted to make sure he didn't die, if the rumor that one of them dies is true. This recent blog post by him solidifies that he's okay :unsmith: http://www.crabwizard.com/captains-log/

Also, hopefully the rumor isn't true.

e: Also, anyone watching the Alaska Experiment? It was pretty good last season.

Splendiferous fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 15, 2009

• Locked thread