Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sklnd posted:

The next bike I buy will have heated grips.

I had a similar experience last year riding from Madison to Milwaukee in the cold-rear end rain.

It made me get heated grips.

This spring when I changed my bars over I scrapped the heated grips. They basically just keep your palms warm and do nothing for the rest of your hand. I was not at all impressed. I think you'd be alot farther ahead by using gloves designed for cold weather. Even farther still if they were heated all over, rather than just in the palm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Yeah, proper heated gloves also seem like a good idea.

Heated grips, however, would have helped on a trip like this where I didn't carry all my cold weather gear and wouldn't have been likely to pack heated gloves because I wasn't expecting to ride in sub-50F temps. As it was, I only had glove liners because I picked up some thin-ish gloves from the local thrift store for a dollar.

Also I kinda figure for typical Texas cold weather riding, a little warmth into the hands would probably be sufficient. I doubt I get more than that by occasionally riding while holding my engine with my clutch hand, and it was pretty much fine the whole way.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phat_Albert posted:

I had a similar experience last year riding from Madison to Milwaukee in the cold-rear end rain.

It made me get heated grips.

This spring when I changed my bars over I scrapped the heated grips. They basically just keep your palms warm and do nothing for the rest of your hand. I was not at all impressed. I think you'd be alot farther ahead by using gloves designed for cold weather. Even farther still if they were heated all over, rather than just in the palm

Heated grips fall a little short in "Real Cold™", but for us lucky enough to live in more temperate climates, they're perfect.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I've usually done well with buying and selling of used bikes. Buy them new and the depreciation kicks in, but a good deal of that is the instant drove it off the lot depreciation.

The best I did on a bike in recent memory was a BMW K75 that I bought stripped for $800. I spent $500 on tires, bodywork, paint, etc, and sold it a year later for $2500. I did put a lot of hours into it, and my labor rate worked out to be pretty low, but still, done right it can be profitable.

I can't see buying a new bike again unless it's a bike I really really want, and thus far the '09 lineup leaves me very underwhelmed. Nothing that I have seen is worth stimulating the economy, excpet the BMW F800GS, and even then, I'm not paying the roundel tax for it new.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

fnkels posted:

How are you guys flipping your bikes for more money than you paid? Doesn't the title contain a history of how much you paid for it?

Not in CA. Probably depends on the state. You have to put a selling price on the title when you buy it. So obviously everyone puts like $300-500 or so even if oyu paid $5,000. But the new title won't say anything about that.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Christoff posted:

Not in CA. Probably depends on the state. You have to put a selling price on the title when you buy it. So obviously everyone puts like $300-500 or so even if oyu paid $5,000. But the new title won't say anything about that.

Does it matter anyway? What you paid for it does not always equate to what it's worth.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It really doesnt matter what you bought it for. If you buy some shitheap for $50 and put tons of work into it and sell it for 3 grand, then more power to you.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Doctor Zero posted:

Does it matter anyway? What you paid for it does not always equate to what it's worth.

Taxes.

CA taxes used bikes. I know. :rolleyes:

The bike I made out the best on was the 929...bought it with 34k for 3900, sold it with 49.7k for 3900. I got the silverwing for free as a basket case from a fellow goon and sold it for 600$ after cleaning up the wiring and taking care of some odds and ends.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just had a good motorcycle accident (Harley riders - hurr). Two of them were on a freeway on ramp, which was straight, on separate bikes. Not 100% sure on what happened. But looks like one of them might have ended up in dirt and lost control and the other one went to dodge him. The guy we transported said he had 2-3 beers. Can't quite say he was drunk but it's a definite possibility. Not sure on the other one. He didn't remember the accident. I'm sure they were messing around. Because 2 guys on motorcycles don't go down between 35-45 mph on a straight line without any other traffic unless they were clowning.

At any rate. The guy we had was wearing a brain bucket of course. Might have been DOT certified, who knows. Luckily his face took the brunt of the impact. His helmet was hardly damaged on the front edge. His top lip was all sorts of busted up and he'll get a nice scar. Nose probably busted. His jacket didn't look too bad. It wasn't a high speed accident. He also probably fractured/broke his wrist. Pretty sure he was wearing gloves but I didn't see them. His knees also had some abrasions that went well through the jeans. Although his jeans didn't have holes. Didn't want the harley jacket cut but we cut his harley long sleeve.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I'll keep wearing my full face helmet.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 30, 2009

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
As long as his helmet's undamaged, all is right with the world!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

sklnd posted:

The next bike I buy will have heated grips.

I went on a camping trip with 10 people a few hours south of Dallas this weekend. I rode, they caged it. Its late March, in Texas, right? Nice weather, right? Nope! On the way down I rode through a pretty awesome thunderstorm and got my duffel bag fairly wet. No problem, I thought. After I got the camp site and had my tent up, I set my clothes out in my tent to dry.

A couple hours later (before my friends had arrived) a pretty rockin thunderstorm came through that was associated with a cold front. The temp dropped from about 80F to about 50F in the span of an hour, and it came with 30mph winds. Overnight the temp dropped to 30F, and nobody was really prepared well for that sort of weather with crazy stiff winds. So, around 7:30pm on Saturday enough of the group decided to pack it up that I figured I'd get a room in the nearby town and that would be that. One night of freezing cold was enough for the group.

When I got to the town, I figured I could just keep going and be back home in my nice warm apartment for the price of two hours of cold riding. Armed with four upper layers, three pants layers, a balaclava that I keep in my saddle bags, and glove liners under my summer gloves I set off. It was about 40F out the whole way, which wouldn't have been bad at all if I had better gloves. The liners help, but my throttle hand was pretty much frozen for the duration of the trip. Highway riding in Dallas on a Ninja 250 with a frozen right hand and a ton of gear bungied to the back of the bike is quite the experience.

So yes, heated grips. I need them. I enjoyed the people who looked at me like I was mad, and the local scooter guys riding around in north Dallas who gave me a big thumbs up when I was sitting next to them at a light holding my engine with my right hand.

I did a bunch of commuting this fall and winter in close-to-freezing temps and nearly froze my hands solid. Liners did little except slow the transfer of heat from the headers/coolant hoses when I jammed my hands in there to warm up. Then I remembered I had my gore-tex snowboarding gloves with me the entire time, and my hands stayed toasty through all kinds of weather. Would they hold up in a crash? I dunno, but good snowboarding gloves tend be built for (and take) a lot of abuse. They're Burton AK Guide gloves, even though the winter is over, now's the time to get them cheap because it's end-of season.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I love my heated grips. They may not save my hands from getting cold on the knuckles when it's really frigid out, but they always save me from having to stop and defrost. They make cold late night rides pleasant.

I went for a pair that the actual grip heats up, not the kind you slide underneath the stock grips. My only complaint would be the heated grips are a good deal fatter and feel kind of goofy because of that compared to standard grips.

I really miss them on cold days when I ride the DRZ which doesnt have them.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
So, you guys are quick to recommend the v-strom around here. I guess this guy agrees with you: http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=n&u=http://poul-randa.blogspot.com/2009_02_01_archive.html&sl=da&tl=en

Rough google translation, but you get the gist. 65 year old Danish guy drove 65kkm across the northern hemisphere. He lists all the maintenance he had to do, but the tl;dr is "v-strom performed great, would buy again, A++".

nskowyra
Jul 25, 2007
Vice President of Cool

Z3n posted:

Taxes.

CA taxes used bikes. I know. :rolleyes:

pretty sure all second hand sales(selling motorcycles) are supposed to be taxed. At least if the state you live in has a sales tax or whatever applies.

like remember Grand Torino...

Christoff posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I'll keep wearing my full face helmet.

for sure

Rnr posted:

So, you guys are quick to recommend the v-strom around here. I guess this guy agrees with you: http://translate.google.com/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=n&u=http://poul-randa.blogspot.com/2009_02_01_archive.html&sl=da&tl=en

those stats are pretty sweet, guy gives a really good maintenance report, made you kinda wonder. dækventiler.... what

nskowyra fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 31, 2009

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

nskowyra posted:

dækventiler.... what

Tire air valves.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Is anyone else fed up with these below normal temps we've been having? At least in the Chicago area, normal average temps for this time of year should be mid 50's but with wind chill we're barely pushing 40. I keep checking the 10-day outlook to plan a ride but we're barely breaking 50 before the windchill.

I just want to ride and my cabin fever is getting pretty bad.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

At least in the Chicago area, normal average temps for this time of year should be mid 50's but with wind chill we're barely pushing 40.
I just want to ride and my cabin fever is getting pretty bad.

Wimp. I was out on my bicycle last night. And I've had several rides on my 550 in the last week. Man up. Wear layers. There's no ice out there, so there's no reason not to ride!

I'm in the north suburbs.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Nerobro posted:

Wimp. I was out on my bicycle last night. And I've had several rides on my 550 in the last week. Man up. Wear layers. There's no ice out there, so there's no reason not to ride!

I'm in the north suburbs.

Haha, I do wear layers, but only so many fit under my jacket before it becomes too difficult to move. 60 degrees is my cut off, and even that is depending on how I feel. :)

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

lame! But at least now I know what weather it takes to make you go riding. You should pick up a size larger enduro/adventure jacket to cover the 4 months it's under 60 but more than 32.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
That is pretty wimpy, I've been out quite a few times already this year. As long as it's not below freezing and there's no rain/snow, riding is no problem. This rain/snow nonsense we have going on right now kind of sucks, though. Not supposed to get up to 60s for at least another week.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Four hours for a 80km return trip, in 3*C weather, with 30km/h winds, heavy rain, and part of it in the dark. Man up, sucker.

Edit: With a pillion. :clint:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Hrm, 68 today, high of 67 tomorrow. Sun is out and has been out. Eh, it aint so bad here.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
My only beef with this cold is that I think I'm starting to yellow the pipes a little on my newly finished 77 KZ650 because the bike is running so drat lean.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Holy poo poo, a 60 degree cutoff? Turn in your keys, your a pussy.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Yeah, the cold is getting to me too. Why it was 54 the other day. Which is a drat sight colder than 74 like it's been. :smugdog:

My cut off is 36-38 degrees and rain. Anything warmer and drier is fair game.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

My cutoff is snow deeper than my boots, unless there's slush underneath. gently caress slush.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Yeah i know what you guys mean. It's rained where I live for two days now! Reducing my riding season to what, 51.5 weeks this year. Now I cold htfu and ride in the raid, but my bike might get dirty, and who wants that now?

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I always chuckle when I come across the discussions of riding season and what-not. I can't drive and I tend to work odd hours in odd places so public transport is a no-go. Thus my bike is my only means of transport, which means I've had to travel im every sort of weather that Britain throws at me, and most of it on a stubborn 125 thumper.

I do have a particular dislike for snow, mainly after I spent two or three hours riding through the Scottish borders with only trainers on my feet, I was too stupid/poor to own motorbike boots. Wierd, considering all 3 of my accidents/wipeouts were in the rain, you'd have thought I'd be more afraid of that form of precipitation.

That said, the climate over here is quite mild, so I suppose we don't get the extremes that some of you do.

I much prefer snow when I'm on my 125, the knobblies and the dualsport suspension give me more confidence than the street tyres on my 400. Plus it's easier to get a foot down.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Yeah, I'd definitely feel a lot more comfortable on snow, if I was tooling around on something that weighed about 100kg less, and had good, knobby tyres. Sport touring tyres, and a big(ish) topheavy bike, don't make for a very confidence inspiring snow ride.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Rain isn't nearly as intimidating now as it was when I started riding. It seems like my bike performs better in it than my car, actually. I heard somewhere that bikes only lose something like 10% traction in the rain and it's more believable now that I've gotten caught in it a few times.

I never rode in the snow, but I did ride over a big sheet of ice over the winter. It was in an empty lot, so I gassed it a little and had the back end out at >10mph. It was cool.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

snow is pretty polar. No pun intended. If it's a consistant layer, it's fun. It's predictable, and there's even a remarkable amount of traction available. And soft landings.

If it's spotty cover, it's the scariest stuff I've ever ridden on.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I think I'd be fine for snow, if the climate here were cold enough to at least keep it in solid form after it hits the ground. :/

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
Yeah, spotty snow is scary as poo poo. Especially when it slushes and then freezes inside of a couple hours.

Random question: On a two-lane road, when I'm backing the bike in to parking on the right side, should I put on my left blinker (because I'm turning left to back it in) or the right blinker (to show I'm parking on the right)? I was thinking right, but then some guy tried to whip around me in a car as I turned left, and that was a near disaster.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Taisa posted:

Yeah, spotty snow is scary as poo poo. Especially when it slushes and then freezes inside of a couple hours.

Random question: On a two-lane road, when I'm backing the bike in to parking on the right side, should I put on my left blinker (because I'm turning left to back it in) or the right blinker (to show I'm parking on the right)? I was thinking right, but then some guy tried to whip around me in a car as I turned left, and that was a near disaster.

Indicate the direction you're going, not the direction you're turning (so, right). He's a douchebag for trying to whip around you when you're backing in.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Kinda related, but am I stupid for turning on my left turn signal when I park on the shoulder of the road? I never do it on busy roads, but I sometimes stop to rest/drink/take pictures and I figure the left turn signal would give a little bit of visibility to the bike and if someone where to hit it, it would be on the left side and away from me (I tend to stand well away from the shoulder. On the other hand, it could lead to target fixation.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 2, 2009

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Doctor Zero posted:

He's a douchebag for trying to whip around you when you're backing in.

I've had people try to whip around me on the LEFT when I slow down to make a LEFT turn into my driveway. Bear in mind we're talking about people doing 45+ on a residential street with six stop signs in less than 1/3rd a mile.

It wouldn't be quite so mind blowing once, but this happened often in West LA. It wasn't even limited to the typical Los Angeles fuckbag driver - I had a AAA tow-truck try it.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

mutt2jeff posted:

Holy poo poo, a 60 degree cutoff? Turn in your keys, your a pussy.

My a pussy?

Seeing anyone on a sportbike around here in less than 60 degree weather is pretty non-existent, I highly doubt I'm the only one who feels that way. I ride for pleasure only, and I'm not going to go ride if it's loving freezing. I don't have to explain to you that a 50 degree day doesn't feel like that when you're doing 60 mph down the road.

We've had nothing but 40-45 degree days and the only few bikes I've seen out are harleys. So where are all these supposed sportbikers out in 30 and 40 degree weather? They're definitely not in the Chicagoland area.

I guess you guys are just too hardcore for me! ;)

The Shep fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 2, 2009

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Any day there isn't snow/ice is the day your supposed to be riding.

Exceptions: Long boring freeway errands on rainy days make cars acceptable.

kdc67
Feb 2, 2006

WHEEEEEEE!
That's because the majority of sportbike riders are idiots who only come out to play when it's in the 70s. You know if they wear any protective gear it's bad for picking up chicks.

Yesterday was 53 out. I saw a guy riding a Honda Shadow on the way to my bike. Nero and I did about 25 miles last night. He rode his '83 Suzuki GS550, and I rode my '73 Yamaha LT2. Get a jacket with a liner. I was pretty freakin' toasty last night. It was a nice enough day, too, that my hands didn't get cold at all even with the Fox dirtbike gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
It's true, I'm pretty much the only sportbike rider I've seen in the city, every other bike I've seen out has been a cruiser or standard except for those couple of super-warm days.

And lots of scooters. It kind of amuses me that the scooter riders in the city are way more hardcore than the bikers, even if they do tend to only wear jeans and a hoodie.