Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

With all the Buell lovin' I'm compelled to celebrate my new rear tire with some pics of my Firebolt up on stands.

And splayed for your viewing pleasure.

Disclaimer: Pictures are actually from a patch job a few months prior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Chill_Bebop posted:

Bike work day

Next time: new Battery, new CDI, and I'll still probably have no spark.

Hey, nice bike! Funnily enough I've got an XT too, which 12 months ago went through a top end cleanup. Here are a couple of pics:

Stripped

Head before:

Head after:

Ready to go!

Amazing how well it runs after removing 20 years of carbon and crap from the head, valves and cylinder, along with a nice new set of rings.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Yay Buell army! Imperador do Brasil, how are you liking it?

This is from last spring when I installed my fender eliminator. Despite what you may think, fender eliminators DO, in fact, eliminate the fender. After every ride now I have a pile of rocks on my seat. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sl0hburn
Aug 3, 2006

I think fast track driving is a little like playing the bagpipes, you know, a gentleman can - but doesn't.
New bike. Ducati is mine and my buddy happened to get a bomb deal on a Benelli Tornado. Out for a ride in the desert. Too bad it was windy as gently caress that day.

Click here for the full 912x684 image.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

sl0hburn posted:

New bike. Ducati is mine and my buddy happened to get a bomb deal on a Benelli Tornado. Out for a ride in the desert. Too bad it was windy as gently caress that day.

Click here for the full 912x684 image.

Crazy bike. How much did he pay? Is it reliable at all?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Fantastipotamus posted:

Yay Buell army! Imperador do Brasil, how are you liking it?

This is from last spring when I installed my fender eliminator. Despite what you may think, fender eliminators DO, in fact, eliminate the fender. After every ride now I have a pile of rocks on my seat. :)

I'm loving the bike. It's got so much torque I don't know what to do with it. I filled up yesterday and I got 55mpg. I didn't wait for the fuel light to come on, I just wanted to see what kind of mileage I was getting. I got 145 miles out of 2.610 gallons. Where did you get your cheesegrater eliminator? Also, what kind of mirrors do you have? Are they an improvement over the stock mirrors as far as field of view? I find my left-hand mirror is all but useless because it doesn't stick out far enough to the side.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Sup Buellers.

Originally looked like this:

I just hacked my cheesegrater off when I saw the cheapest eliminator was $300. It turned out ok. Since it's getting warmer, I'm about ready to replace my handguards with some handlebar mirrors that I bought last year, cause mine also only reflect my shoulders.

unorthodoxender
Aug 20, 2004
Ninja do backflippu
My best friend is moving to Germany in a month and he didn't want to take his bike with him so I inherited a 2004 Honda Shadow Aero with <8k miles. It's made a great replacement for my cm400 which has become a rust-trap since I moved it down to the beach two years ago. (sorry for the lovely cell phone pics)

Click here for the full 960x784 image.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I'm loving the bike. It's got so much torque I don't know what to do with it. I filled up yesterday and I got 55mpg. I didn't wait for the fuel light to come on, I just wanted to see what kind of mileage I was getting. I got 145 miles out of 2.610 gallons. Where did you get your cheesegrater eliminator? Also, what kind of mirrors do you have? Are they an improvement over the stock mirrors as far as field of view? I find my left-hand mirror is all but useless because it doesn't stick out far enough to the side.
I got mine from https://www.americansportsbike.com but... in looking on there now, I dont see it. You may have to call them. It was expensive, but I like the look of it.

The mirrors are Buell bar-end mirrors, I believe, and they're great. I can't compare them to the stockers, because I bought mine with them, but I've had the normal mirrors on my old SV (they looks similar to the stockers), and they gave me a great view of my shoulder, and that's it.

I'm striking out on finding you actual links to stuff :( sorry.. you could try checking around buelletinboards.com for a used fender eliminator.

Gnaghi posted:

Sup Buellers.

Originally looked like this:

I just hacked my cheesegrater off when I saw the cheapest eliminator was $300. It turned out ok. Since it's getting warmer, I'm about ready to replace my handguards with some handlebar mirrors that I bought last year, cause mine also only reflect my shoulders.
The army, she grows! :911:

sl0hburn
Aug 3, 2006

I think fast track driving is a little like playing the bagpipes, you know, a gentleman can - but doesn't.

n8r posted:

Crazy bike. How much did he pay? Is it reliable at all?

13K with <100 miles. Some rich dude in San Diego bought it, then returned it and a Ducati he owned to get some ridiculous 90K Ducati. Can't say on reliability, only got it last Saturday and we have been on 1 ride.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
I am loving all the recent buell goodness in this thread, I have a soft spot for them and hope to have another some day.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

chyaroh posted:

Amazing how well it runs after removing 20 years of carbon and crap from the head, valves and cylinder, along with a nice new set of rings.

Tease! Im waiting for the carb to get back from some service here. The PO apparently also used impact wrenches to get every little screw out, so almost all the heads are stripped thanks to mr. Nascar Pit wannabe.

Once I get my carb and all my parts in i'll do a little update.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yamaha used some pretty crappy fasteners back in the day. Every single screw on my RD350 was like butter.

You'll learn to love the socket cap screw section of your local hardware store soon enough.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Phat_Albert posted:

You'll learn to love the socket cap screw section of your local hardware store soon enough.

When I was doing my YDS3 I just gave up and bought those variety boxes of stainless socket cap and hex bolts.

Also an impact driver is a must for getting screws off yamaha bikes. Using either an impact wrench or twisting them by hand will result in tears. The impact driver is a nice middle ground.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

Haha, same goes for Suzuki, I regularly shoot the poo poo with my guy now.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Here is my current bike on the day I got it last year

I was glad I came into work early that day so I could go pick it up over a long lunch and drop it off in the garage at home considering the huge storm that passed through that afternoon.

Here it is when I took it out last weekend :)

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
Is there some secret to keeping a bike clean when you use it every day in wet/rainy conditions? Also Seattle drizzle can die.

Also low lighting.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

Phat_Albert posted:

Yamaha used some pretty crappy fasteners back in the day. Every single screw on my RD350 was like butter.

I'm finding out its both soft screws and a horrible PO that makes life difficult for me and this bike.

Bonus Info: Tomorrow the Rebuilt Carb, Battery and a couple new o rings will finally go into the 250, and we'll see if it wants to run. gently caress push starting.

Edit: NOPE

Chill_Bebop fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 29, 2009

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Taisa posted:

Is there some secret to keeping a bike clean when you use it every day in wet/rainy conditions? Also Seattle drizzle can die.

Well, the easiest solution is just to get a grey bike - mine was unwashed for ~2 months (in Victoria, so we're about the same for rain/road grime), and about the only place that it was noticeable was the windscreen.

Otherwise, I'd also like to know, as I do like having a shiny bike, but don't feel like spending an hour every week to keep it that way. :effort:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The easiest way, especially if your bike is getting dirty from riding in the rain is to hose it down quickly when you get home. Instead of drying with lovely road grime water on it, it dries with clean water.

sl0hburn
Aug 3, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

The easiest way, especially if your bike is getting dirty from riding in the rain is to hose it down quickly when you get home. Instead of drying with lovely road grime water on it, it dries with clean water.

For some of us that just doesn't work. The water is so hard around here the deposits would leave my bike white. Its either wash it or leave it as it is.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

1. Get some Hondabrite

2. Hose down bike*

3. Spray Hondabrite on bike

4. Rinse thoroughly

5. Enjoy!

(*optional, but it works better if you get the surface dust off)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

New Pictures of the stable, taken after completing the build on the Honda Urban Express. Not shown: Honda XR200, because it's still in the basement due to starting issues.

Bonus picture of gangsta action with the Urban Express before being finished:

sam_rush
Feb 3, 2004
Hello there... I started riding on the street about 3 years ago. Before that I had owned numerous enduros and dirt bikes as a kid.

Here is my 1st, a 2001 GSXR 600. I got it for a good price because it had fallen off a trailer the week before and had quite a bit of damage on the right side. Silver was nice enough to go with me to pick it up, and even hauled it back home for me.

After a year I was sick of the messed up fairings and paint. I repaired the side fairing, bought a upper and tail as well. Then I proceeded to give it the "toughest" paint job I knew of... bedliner... because I was sure that I would drop it again (which I never did).

One day I decided that I wanted a twin. I got this Buell Firebolt XB9R in a trade for an car i wasn't using. It had the race ECU and a Jardine can on it. This bike was nice for my 100 mile a day commute but lacked power and reliability. Unfortunately for me, I had already sold my GSXR. Soon I found out that this bike liked to snap drive belts and lose bolts quite often.

The lack of reliability led me to purchase my current bike... 2007 GSXR 600. When I picked this bike out, it was still in the crate. It's now got a Micron GP slipon, K&N filter, heated grips, and Gerbings heat troller (because I ride it year round). So far i've got 19K miles on it and no problems whatsoever.

With as wonderful as this bike has been, it's currently for sale so I can get a 04+ R1

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sorry for the poor quality cell phone pictures. I know it's a bit ricer/squidish but I got some blue rim tape. Hey, it was cheap.

I wasn't sure how it'd look on white wheels. I think it looks alright. They're reflective to boot. Which is never a bad thing at night.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rim tape is mankinds greatest achievement.

I love the stuff.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Phat_Albert posted:

I love the stuff.

Agreed. I think it makes almost every bike look better (and some cars)

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

Phat_Albert posted:

I love the stuff.

I just bought some, but I've convinced myself I'm going to screw up the install. Are there any secrets to putting this stuff on properly?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

MourningGlory posted:

I just bought some, but I've convinced myself I'm going to screw up the install. Are there any secrets to putting this stuff on properly?

Is it curved? I took off one piece and it was quite a pain to get off to be honest. Came off in little chunks.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

MourningGlory posted:

I had no problems installing it and I managed to put a hole in my gas tank reattaching fairings once. Its really not that hard.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

pr0zac posted:

I had no problems installing it and I managed to put a hole in my gas tank reattaching fairings once. Its really not that hard.

The fairings on your drz that attach with dzus fasteners?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MourningGlory posted:

It depends if its precurved or not. Precurved stuff is pretty simple, its just a matter of lining it up.

Straight tape is a little harder. You have to work it on inch by inch so it gets around the wheel without kinking.

It helps if the wheel/tape/surrounding air/your hands are warm when you do it.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Zool posted:

The fairings on your drz that attach with dzus fasteners?

One of the radiator fins that attaches to the gas tank. I put the wrong screw in, it was too long and drilled right into the tank. :(

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!

We were both younger then....

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
Here's a crosspost from n8's Falco thread for posterity/vanity. 07 Aprilia Tuono

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

Click here for the full 1017x763 image.

null0ne
Jul 18, 2006
My dad went out to get sparkplugs on his 10 year old, owned-since-new ST2. He came back on this.

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Sweet mother of gently caress I was having a good day until you posted that. Did you pull up a cot in the garage and sleep next to it?

null0ne
Jul 18, 2006

Spiffness posted:

Sweet mother of gently caress I was having a good day until you posted that. Did you pull up a cot in the garage and sleep next to it?

Spent a solid 3 hours staring at it last night, and I think he might've fallen asleep in the garage looking at it. It's only been in the garage about 6 hours so far...

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

null0ne posted:

My dad went out to get sparkplugs on his 10 year old, owned-since-new ST2. He came back on this.

Wow. That place did a hell of a job on those plugs. Maybe he should have had them change the tires too, could have come back with a 1098R.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Send him out for a replacement chain next time, and see if he comes back with a Desmo. :black101:

Also, sweet gently caress, that thing is hot, especially in something other than "lookit me I'm Italian" red.