Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
It's the angle; notice how you can see that extra little bit of the right contour, and also an extra little bit of the left binding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.
Not strictly an instrument, but I got myself a second monitor to help with the workflow. I didn't really have a desk or a pedestal handy so I had to improvise.

Houston Rockets
Apr 15, 2006

dissin department posted:

It's the angle; notice how you can see that extra little bit of the right contour, and also an extra little bit of the left binding.

I just pulled out my Sheraton to verify, and sure enough the cutouts are slightly uneven. It's by design.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Playing with a new band has me all excited about music again, so I took the opportunity to pick up some gear to help the sound come along.

This is the '97 Gibson Doublecut that I picked up a while ago. I cleaned and polished the body and neck, and just got finished gutting the electronics. The stock Gibson something-or-others got replaced with a SD '59 in the neck and a SH-12 Screamin' Demon in the bridge. I'm typically a Strat/Tele guy, but I'm growing on this one. It's just got loads of sound.

Speaking of Strats and Teles, the Tele got Vintage Noiseless pickups and the comedy option '94(?) Peavey Predator got a Dimarzio PAF.

Finally, this was just a good deal on craigslist that I couldn't pass up. A Roland KC100 keyboard/bass amp for $100. 4 inputs and 60 watts. The guy said that one of the inputs was broken. Turned out to be a broken-off tip of a 1/4" plug that was ridiculously easy to remove. Thanks guy-who-looked-like-Dwight-Yoakam's-character-from-Slingblade!

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 30, 2009

yamkingdom
Feb 15, 2008

Noise as Art.

Thanks to a super cool guy on ebay i can actually play with my friends. Oh and it sounds really good too.

Cybbe
Mar 3, 2009

I can't believe I didn't get me one of these earlier. I've fallen absolutely in love.

Also, at the guy with the Ibanez Custom... drat you, that's a gorgeous looking guitar.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

yamkingdom posted:

deluxe reverb

Thanks to a super cool guy on ebay i can actually play with my friends. Oh and it sounds really good too.

That is the amp I want when I finally have some money to buy an amp. Hopefully it will happen in 2009 some time.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Not a next or newest, but I got to play an *original* 1959 dot neck ES-335 this weekend. One of 71 natural finish models.

Holy loving poo poo.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

warwick5s posted:

Not a next or newest, but I got to play an *original* 1959 dot neck ES-335 this weekend. One of 71 natural finish models.

Holy loving poo poo.

how did this happen? how dense was your erection whilst playing it?

Hepnotic
Jan 23, 2003
optional; no images are allowed, only text
got a proper case for my strat

$40 craigslist score

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

how did this happen? how dense was your erection whilst playing it?

I was staying with my father-in-law's girlfriend this weekend, and her late husband played it for 30+ years. Totally had no idea what they had when he died a few years ago.

Original case, players wear everywhere, and it played perfectly. Appraised at between 70k and 100k. :cry:

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

warwick5s posted:

I was staying with my father-in-law's girlfriend this weekend, and her late husband played it for 30+ years. Totally had no idea what they had when he died a few years ago.

Original case, players wear everywhere, and it played perfectly. Appraised at between 70k and 100k. :cry:

:aaaaa:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

warwick5s posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

I love it every time my great uncle brings over his 1960 Gibson Super 400 and Echosonic amp, they were incredible guitars back then. The thing plays itself and sounds so, so good.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Hepnotic posted:

got a proper case for my strat

$40 craigslist score

lucky :argh::fh:

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

lucky :argh::fh:

He got the case for $40. Which is a decent deal, but not really jerk-worthy.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Japanese Telecaster, 1994-95.

I am officially OTAKU for asian Fenders; this plays and sounds amazing.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
picked up one of these:

I found that the big muff sound really suits my style. i feel like a dick bag for having never messed with fuzz before. I love the grittiness of the pedal, and the way some of the frequencies sound like they're about to pop.

HOWEVER, I would like to see if there are any good muff clones/versions that would help to retain a little clarity in the face of the wall of fuzz. When i'm doing standard power chords and leads, it sounds killer, but when I try to do big full 6 string flourish chords, those awesome upper registers get lost. I've dialed my amp in so that it's better, but i'm wondering if there's something i'm missing. The Earthquake Hoof and the Earthbound Supercollider looked interesting. any opinions on these?

I'm actually so in love with the muff sound right now that i'm considering buying the generalguitargadgets muff clone, since it has the parts to build all the popular versions.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

h_double posted:

That's awesome. I can't tell if the pickguard is printed as well or if it's clear and the neck pickup's lead is just routed through the body. Either way, hot.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

MasterWerk posted:

picked up one of these:

I found that the big muff sound really suits my style. i feel like a dick bag for having never messed with fuzz before. I love the grittiness of the pedal, and the way some of the frequencies sound like they're about to pop.

HOWEVER, I would like to see if there are any good muff clones/versions that would help to retain a little clarity in the face of the wall of fuzz. When i'm doing standard power chords and leads, it sounds killer, but when I try to do big full 6 string flourish chords, those awesome upper registers get lost. I've dialed my amp in so that it's better, but i'm wondering if there's something i'm missing. The Earthquake Hoof and the Earthbound Supercollider looked interesting. any opinions on these?

I'm actually so in love with the muff sound right now that i'm considering buying the generalguitargadgets muff clone, since it has the parts to build all the popular versions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myfFVAn9Kk0&feature=related

At first, you think it's good.

Then he switches to the neck pickup, and it's amazing.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
ha! i just turned one of those down in a trade w/ agreed. well crap.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

bisticles posted:

That's awesome. I can't tell if the pickguard is printed as well or if it's clear and the neck pickup's lead is just routed through the body. Either way, hot.

Thanks!

It's a clear pickguard with the neck pickup routed through the body.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

MasterWerk posted:

ha! i just turned one of those down in a trade w/ agreed. well crap.

It's not too late if you want to change your mind. I haven't shipped them yet and I'm not certain I'll be able to ship them today, it might be tomorrow (which sucks, because it's going to be storming like hell tomorrow, but that's Arkansas). Shoot me an email if you're serious.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

h_double posted:

Hello Japanese Fender friend :) That is a killer looking axe, mine is pretty traditional in appearance (avatar strat).

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

Lucky find in a pawn shop, guy let it go for 80$.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Details details? Headstock picture por favor!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

That's one of the Jaco-type models, isn't it?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Schatten posted:

Details details? Headstock picture por favor!

Minto Took posted:

That's one of the Jaco-type models, isn't it?

Looks like you guys got :pranke:

http://thepocket.multiply.com/journal/item/61

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

DrChu posted:

*sniffs* You shouldn't joke about Jaco's bass like that.

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:

Found this in a dumpster today:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

DrChu posted:

Ouch, and I had that issue of Bass Player too.

Kin Corn Karn
Mar 9, 2008

I decided that my boss ds-1 was a weak link in my gear chain, and it was time for an upgrade.

guy was selling it for a silly price on craigslist. i'm happy as gently caress with this thing. its breathing new life into my single channel 5w tube combo. makes an awesome headphone amp for late night jams, and my leads sound 10x better.

Decerto
Aug 19, 2002

Sup.
Just scored this on eBay for $32. Not sure how good they are, but I couldn't beat it for the price!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Decerto posted:

Just scored this on eBay for $32. Not sure how good they are, but I couldn't beat it for the price!

Nice. I placed an order Sunday for a Behringer Xenyx 802 which is that unit's little brother (only two XLR inputs and about twice the cost new of what you paid for your unit) and a Behringer U-Control USB->RCA Line In/Out. Fortunately it's going to take almost 9 days for Amazon to ship it, which means that by the time it arrives, I'll have money again when it arrives to buy some microphones and XLR cables to plug in to it :downs:

Decerto
Aug 19, 2002

Sup.

Hadlock posted:

Nice. I placed an order Sunday for a Behringer Xenyx 802 which is that unit's little brother (only two XLR inputs and about twice the cost new of what you paid for your unit) and a Behringer U-Control USB->RCA Line In/Out. Fortunately it's going to take almost 9 days for Amazon to ship it, which means that by the time it arrives, I'll have money again when it arrives to buy some microphones and XLR cables to plug in to it :downs:

That's next on my list, actually.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Welp, thanks to idly checking Craigslist while I worked today, looks like I'm gettin' this here Carvin 5-string bass:

It's kind of in poo poo condition and the electronics obviously aren't original, but then again, it was only $100. Picking it up tomorrow!

e: 5-string Kahler trem, too. I figure I can get my money back on that alone.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Is that a bass with a trem?

No pics, but I got some european mil-spec AC128s off ebay which will hopefully become a couple of fuzzboxes and treble boosters in the coming months.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Carbohydrates posted:

Welp, thanks to idly checking Craigslist while I worked today, looks like I'm gettin' this here Carvin 5-string bass:

It's kind of in poo poo condition and the electronics obviously aren't original, but then again, it was only $100. Picking it up tomorrow!

That is a loving score-and-a-half...:drat:

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Carbohydrates posted:

Your mission is to put a LOT of knobs on that thing. Even if half of them aren't connected to anything, think about the cred you'll get stepping onstage holding a bass with 8 knobs.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

h_double posted:

Your mission is to put a LOT of knobs on that thing. Even if half of them aren't connected, think about the cred you'll get stepping onstage holding a bass with 8 knobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

ZombiePeanut posted:

As much as I love Bootsy... The space/starbass has nothing on Phil Lesh's Godfather:

(yes, those are labels on his controls)