Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Yes. Because Suvie is cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Vanadium posted:

I think the point is just that Haerta is just a floaty soul now, much like Roy, so she cannot take any effect on the material plane?

Could there be a possibility that an cleric might bind her soul to a human vessel, or that Haerta may be powerful enough to straight up possess someone, creating another powerful adversary that V would have to clean up before the the end of the comic strip?

Potentially as a penance related storyline or something?

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Has everyone missed the line in the comic where one of the demons says "I'll have to send someone out to collect the loose soul"? Until mentioned otherwise in-comic, I see no reason to assume that anything else is going to happen.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
In other news:

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Apparently they aren't talking in elvish anymore.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Kuroshi posted:

In other news:

Almost a bit heart wrenching really. I love this comic. I suppose V is off to gather the party. Shouldn't be very hard.

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

Liberal_L33t posted:

The only tangible difference is that the Sapphire guard were massacring innocents by the dozens using holy powers given by good-aligned gods, wheras Suvie is doing it with powers granted by fiends.

I think you hit on it right there. The paladins are acting at the behest of the gods, the very ones who get to decide if something is good or evil. V's just kinda going out there on his own.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Ice cold judgement, V's wife or effeminate husband. Your children are saved from damnation and you don't wait ten minutes to get all preachy about it.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

Ice cold judgement, V's wife or effeminate husband. Your children are saved from damnation and you don't wait ten minutes to get all preachy about it.

The dialogue suggests this was an issue between them before V left.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
Next stop, Chateau Xykon?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Blobone posted:

The dialogue suggests this was an issue between them before V left.

Also V has pretty much been gone for 6 years =]

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
In all fairness, that's a relatively short period of time, in elf years. Even for elf children.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Geshtal posted:

I think you hit on it right there. The paladins are acting at the behest of the gods, the very ones who get to decide if something is good or evil. V's just kinda going out there on his own.

Yes indeed. Which brings me back to my original point, that the 'good' aligned gods who dictate morality from on high are, themselves, utterly corrupt. If they condemn V for this but condone the pointless murder of children by paladins, that tells me that the God's whole idea of morality is basically bullshit, and Redcloak really is right to be doing what he's doing, so that he can put an end to their racism and myopic view of morality

edit: whoops, I realize I might ought to spoiler that

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Called it.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
well, the two clues we have now is that V wants to "fix everything" kinda vague, and "need to find..." I'm assuming he's going to go see Haley next since his new lvl 70 scrying powers should be able to overwhelm the cloister effect around her.

Prediction: Haley is going to have a similar reaction to Inkyrius, but much more righteous outrage and less passive aggression. That'll shoe away another of the souls and force V to get really defensive. V will use the remaining gestault to free Roy's body from being a golem and bring it to Durkon since V can't cast divine spells. Roy will reprimand V for his/her actions as well and that will cause the last soul to disappear, since V was assuming if anyone would approve of doing what was necessary it would be Roy (but Roy will also know about the alternative plan the fiends addressed.) The soul binding scrolls are a red herring. All in all, the group is totally back together in 7-10 strips + 2 doubles.

[edit] that timeline is assuming Durkon doesn't get his own arc, which I guess is only natural since everyone else had some sort of character development. So, 15 Durkon strips followed by V finding Haley maybe?

bison wings fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 2, 2009

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I also think we're probably going to see 1 big spell from the other two remaining souls as well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Has anyone asked why their children are dark-skinned? Do they go through a larval wood elf stage?

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
they are adopted. maybe they were starving south african elves.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
They picked wood elf on character creation?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Cthulhuchan posted:

In all fairness, that's a relatively short period of time, in elf years. Even for elf children.

Actually, elf children age and mature at the same rate as human children for their first 10-15 years :eng101:

So being gone for 6 of those years would be pretty bad.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Seftir posted:

Actually, elf children age and mature at the same rate as human children for their first 10-15 years :eng101:

Wait, do they? I mean, that's certainly convenient (poopy diapers for years, the horror), but where does it say this?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Seftir posted:

Wait wait, isn't the starting age for Elves like 100 or something? If they age like humans for 10-15, that would mean they get like 85 years of adolescence? No wonder Elves reproduce so slowly, who the hell would want to deal with decades of angsty teenage children getting dumped at their 35th prom.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

Cthulhuchan posted:

Wait, do they? I mean, that's certainly convenient (poopy diapers for years, the horror), but where does it say this?

Last I checked, Races of the Wild, one of the elf splat books for 3.5

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Seftir posted:

Check Origin of PCs, V mentions specifically spending a decade in diapers if I remember right. The book's back home.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Blobone posted:

Apparently they aren't talking in elvish anymore.

It's like movies or television when people are speaking only in a foreign language. You assume they're actually speaking german or whatever, but so the audience can pay attention to the visuals instead of reading subtitles you just have them speak in English. That's always been my thoughts about it.

Or maybe they're speaking in common so the kids don't understand that they're arguing.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

But Common is an automatic language for elves! :v:

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

seaborgium posted:

It's like movies or television when people are speaking only in a foreign language. You assume they're actually speaking german or whatever, but so the audience can pay attention to the visuals instead of reading subtitles you just have them speak in English. That's always been my thoughts about it.

Or maybe they're speaking in common so the kids don't understand that they're arguing.

That's what the < > marks in the previous comics are for. But your explanation is what I'm thinking too.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Affi posted:

They picked wood elf on character creation?

The OotS campaign uses one of those "roll events from your formative years on this chart" systems that has a good chance of killing your character before the game even begins.

[d1000] 653: Your family is almost killed in a dragon attack; gain Phobia (Dragon), roll for a random dragon color.
[d1000] 411: A parent or guardian sold their soul to the forces of Evil; gain Vendetta against this parent.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
I'm thinking Haley will understand a bit better than anyone, not only from an alignment standpoint but because she knows V well enough to not be totally shocked. Celia will naturally be completely shocked but it's possible that as part of the 4 page Celia is a whiny LG rantfest she'll know something or other about the fiends in question or some legal pitfall involved with x amount of time demonic pacts that helps hit V over the head a bit with what he's done.

Then of course V has to show up on a fleet lead by paladins and try to explain the Very Evil makeover

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'd hope V of all people would have the presence of mind to pop a change self and disguise his alignment before heading back.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Wanderer posted:

I'd hope V of all people would have the presence of mind to pop a change self and disguise his alignment before heading back.

I doubt anyone's actually going to check his alignment if there doesn't appear to be need for it. It's been done before, remember.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

V. Illych L. posted:

I doubt anyone's actually going to check his alignment if there doesn't appear to be need for it. It's been done before, remember.

You don't really have to explicitly check his alignment right now. All you have to do is look at him. Pointy teeth? Red eyes? Frazzled hair? Black robes with spiky red lining? Those are all signs of Lawful Good, right :downs:

Unless he's gained the ability to produce lead sheets out of nowhere, I feel like changing alignment would be a very good idea before landing on a ship full of paladins. Well . . . except for the fact that he could probably just entirely ignore the paladin attacks.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In accordance with D&D mechanics, Vaarsuvius is a high level wizard and as such no other character is relevant in terms of sheer power. No paladin blues for him.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

ZorbaTHut posted:

You don't really have to explicitly check his alignment right now. All you have to do is look at him. Pointy teeth? Red eyes? Frazzled hair? Black robes with spiky red lining? Those are all signs of Lawful Good, right :downs:

Unless he's gained the ability to produce lead sheets out of nowhere, I feel like changing alignment would be a very good idea before landing on a ship full of paladins. Well . . . except for the fact that he could probably just entirely ignore the paladin attacks.

The point is that he probably only needs to use Change Self or a basic illusion to alter his appearance back to 'old' V - he could just turn up and say 'Oh hey my time on the island allowed me to perfect this spell, hurrah!' and there wouldn't be any particular motivation for the Paladins to re-check his alignment.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
For awhile now, V has been big on the whole "I don't have time to take simple precautions to prevent misunderstanding and calamity, foolish mortal!" thing, so don't bet on it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

ZorbaTHut posted:

Unless he's gained the ability to produce lead sheets out of nowhere

Actually..

Pyre_89
May 14, 2007

Saskatchewan Roughriders are the best football team EVAR!

Wanderer posted:

I would like to point out that no matter what the general consensus is on V's alignment right now, no matter my opinion or anyone else's, Rich may not consider V to be evil.
Yes, we can argue that he just committed some evil acts. That does not always mean an alignment shift, and I don't think that with one act (Or one short sequence of evil acts) he necessarily becomes Evil.

All I am saying is, Rich may not consider V to be evil, but he also might say that she shifted right to Chaotic Evil; we don't know at this point. At the very least, I think we should just let Rich tell the story; his is the only opinion that really matters.

Although I do think it would be pretty funny if he had a throw-away comic where all of the paladins argue about V's new look, only to cast detect evil and see that she is not evil.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
He has fangs and a black robe. He just murdered dozens of dragons in cold blood for the sake of revenge. He manifested his new look accompanied by the dulcet tones of a choir from Hell. When given the opportunity to release the power, he decided not to.

OotS works on a very simple ethical spectrum, and V has the evil danger signs.

Pyre_89
May 14, 2007

Saskatchewan Roughriders are the best football team EVAR!

Wanderer posted:

OotS works on a very simple ethical spectrum

I don't know which comic you are reading, but I'm reading one where a LG paladin was used as a serious antagonist. It's one where Rich actually makes you feel a measure of sympathy for an Evil antagonist; and even has the same character realize that he's being too evil!

This isn't a world of black and white morality. 'Nuff said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

A more accurate way to phrase it is that while evil is very complex in OOTS, it's also color-coded for your convenience; V is clearly wearing the Team Evil livery.