Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beast485
Dec 4, 2008
I've looked through most of the posts related to Linux and I haven't really found something related to what I'm looking for, but sorry if I just can't read.

I'm new to Linux and am fairly techie (Windows), but I have an Asus G50v-A1 laptop. I have a 320Gb HD as my main drive and have a 160Gb slave in my second bay and I want to dual boot with Ubuntu, but run Ubuntu only on my slave. When I boot into the Linux GUI and start to format the drive, I get different errors related to not being able to complete the format and install. Unfortunately, I did not write down the exact error messages, but if I get any advice I will make sure to write them down if they come up again.

From what I've read on some other forums, I should be able to dual-boot my system having Vista (64 bit) installed first; but I could be wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Beast485 posted:

I'm new to Linux and am fairly techie (Windows), but I have an Asus G50v-A1 laptop. I have a 320Gb HD as my main drive and have a 160Gb slave in my second bay and I want to dual boot with Ubuntu, but run Ubuntu only on my slave. When I boot into the Linux GUI and start to format the drive, I get different errors related to not being able to complete the format and install. Unfortunately, I did not write down the exact error messages, but if I get any advice I will make sure to write them down if they come up again.

Hi I got some errors but I don't know what they were, can you help me?

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
advanced question: why is linux so awesome?????

Beast485
Dec 4, 2008

Accipiter posted:

Hi I got some errors but I don't know what they were, can you help me?

I'm not sure what to do myself which is why I was asking for help with getting the dual-boot to work. I'm not sure what to advise you...

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Beast485 posted:

I'm not sure what to do myself which is why I was asking for help with getting the dual-boot to work. I'm not sure what to advise you...

You need to post the errors you're getting, or at least "this is exactly what I tried", "this is what I expected to happen", "this is what happened instead". The setup you're describing is perfectly mundane and ordinary, so there's no "special tips" or anything we can tell you to make it work. If it's not working, it's because of something you haven't told us.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I really like using Hamachi but it seems awfully slow sometimes. Is there an easy way to host my own service like this with a linux box?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Does anyone know whether LVM volumes are strict about drives maintaining the same IDs?

Like if I move my LVM array to another computer and it detects the drives out of order, or if I accidentally plug disk 2 into SATA channel 3, am I hosed? LVM expected disk 2 to be sdb but now it's sdc so is it going to barf all over my precious data? :(

For reference it's 3 drives all concat'd into one large volume. No RAID applied.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Martytoof posted:

Does anyone know whether LVM volumes are strict about drives maintaining the same IDs?

Like if I move my LVM array to another computer and it detects the drives out of order, or if I accidentally plug disk 2 into SATA channel 3, am I hosed? LVM expected disk 2 to be sdb but now it's sdc so is it going to barf all over my precious data? :(

For reference it's 3 drives all concat'd into one large volume. No RAID applied.

LVM uses UUIDs embedded inside the volumes in order to locate and identify them. It will work fine.

This is also true of MD RAID arrays, by the way.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Beauty, just what I wanted to hear, thanks!

Part of me always believed it couldn't be that prone to user error, but I've been wrong before :v:

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

fletcher posted:

I really like using Hamachi but it seems awfully slow sometimes. Is there an easy way to host my own service like this with a linux box?
Wouldn't openVPN work pretty good for something like this?

Don't ask me how to actually configure it though, I've never tried it. :)

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have a mac hooked up to a fancy stereo. I want the audio on a linux machine on the network to play on the mac. Specifically, I am using Quodlibet to play mp3s on the linux machine, and I want to hear that audio on the stereo (mac).

Is there a way to do this?

Or, if there was some way to parse my quodlibet library and output an itunes format library, that would be pretty cool too :o.

crab avatar
Mar 15, 2006

iŧ Kë3Ã…Â, cħ gøài- <Ecl8

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I have a mac hooked up to a fancy stereo. I want the audio on a linux machine on the network to play on the mac. Specifically, I am using Quodlibet to play mp3s on the linux machine, and I want to hear that audio on the stereo (mac).

Is there a way to do this?

Or, if there was some way to parse my quodlibet library and output an itunes format library, that would be pretty cool too :o.
You could run icecast or something similar and play the stream from the Mac.

run Linux on the Mac and use PulseAudio's network streaming features, literally five clicks to share audio output

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

jegHegy posted:

You could run icecast or something similar and play the stream from the Mac.

run Linux on the Mac and use PulseAudio's network streaming features, literally five clicks to share audio output

I almost have icecast/ices setup here (I think). The trouble is ices cannot find my alsa device.

What the hell am I supposed to put for the <input><param name="device"> ? hw,0:0 doesn't work. Where do I get a list of possible devices? I only have one sound card.

Harokey
Jun 12, 2003

Memory is RAM! Oh dear!

Kaluza-Klein posted:

http://www.deleet.de/projekte/daap/daapd/ ?

Edit: oh quodlibet... uhh maybe this link is still helpful.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Harokey posted:

http://www.deleet.de/projekte/daap/daapd/ ?

Edit: oh quodlibet... uhh maybe this link is still helpful.

Yeah, I have a lot of the tracks in quodlibet ranked and then I can make nice playlists based off of them. I really don't want to have to start from scratch in itunes. If for no other reason that I would like them to match.

I have icecast running now with darkice as the input server. It seems to be working just dandy!

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: Double Post

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 13, 2017

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

GregNorc posted:

Could it be the â characters throwing it off?

my guess is you're in a utf-8 locale but that char is some single-byte local codepage.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

covener posted:

my guess is you're in a utf-8 locale but that char is some single-byte local codepage.

If he concatenated a bunch of dictionaries, then there may not be a single locale that his file is in anymore. GregNorc: do export LANG=C before running uniq.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Is anyone else having problems losing networking in recent kernels? I upgraded from 2.6.26.2 to 2.6.29 and now after a while all networking disappears - I can't even ping localhost. Logging into ebay seems to trigger it fairly consistently for some reason. This is driving me nuts and I don't know where to start other than trying 2.6.27 or 28 to figure out when exactly this started.

edit: answering my own question, now I just want to know why this showstopper bug hasn't resulted in a 2.6.29.1 patch yet.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 2, 2009

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any kind of alternate-kernel system for Ubuntu? I'm running 8.10 and I'd like to revert back to the 8.04 kernel because something in the new one is killing Folding@Home speeds. Is there like an apt-get historic-kernel something I can do with one command or will I need to just recompile the kernel myself. I seriously haven't compiled a kernel in more than 10 years so I'm a little leery of having to do that and messing up some device drivers or something.

I'll probably just up and reinstall the base system with 8.04 if there isn't.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: doublepost

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 13, 2017

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

GregNorc posted:

What would the syntax on that be?

Uh... just run export LANG=C by itself, on its own line. It changes the locale for your current session.

Then run whatever uniq command you were trying to run.

Catch 22
Dec 1, 2003
Damn it, Damn it, Damn it!
I have a extra server, flashdrive, and internet connection.
I am trying to put a seedbox together running off a 2GB flash drive and a USB removable drive. Basicly I wanted to run rtorrent from a command line (so I can manage it even from putty on my PPC) and rTWi as a web front end for when I am at home on my laptop.

My issue is I cant get CentOS5 to boot correctly on the server. It supports booting (I just loaded up puppy Linux as a test) but when I install CentOS I get a GRUB Disk error on boot. I would use puppy, but I don't understand Linux flavors yet, CentOS has been the only distro that makes since and that I can get along with. Example, I have dicked around with puppy 2.x for 3 hours and cannot putty into it.

The partition is marked active and it installs fine. All I can find on google is how to install a Live distro, and I need a real install and only the console. Any ideas?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

What error message is it throwing to you?

I suspect that the config is wrong (Drive changed from hd0 to hd1, or something similar) or you're using an unsupported filesystem.

Catch 22
Dec 1, 2003

Zom Aur posted:

What error message is it throwing to you?

I suspect that the config is wrong (Drive changed from hd0 to hd1, or something similar) or you're using an unsupported filesystem.

sda1 is how is shows at install. The error is "GRUB Hard Disk error" that's it. Filesystem would be whatever it made it (i think ex3 or whatever, I fully wiped and re-parted the drive at install)

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

ShoulderDaemon posted:

Uh... just run export LANG=C by itself, on its own line. It changes the locale for your current session.

Then run whatever uniq command you were trying to run.
Alternatively you can run

LANG=C uniq

That format sets a environment variable, but only for the executable program on the line.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Catch 22 posted:

sda1 is how is shows at install.
Right, but that's not how grub looks at it. :)

Catch 22 posted:

The error is "GRUB Hard Disk error" that's it. Filesystem would be whatever it made it (i think ex3 or whatever, I fully wiped and re-parted the drive at install)
If it's ext3, it should work fine with grub, unlike LVM without a separate /boot partition.

Anyways, I suspect it's just a matter of configuration. Most likely it's just as easy as changing hd0,0 to hd1,0 at the boot prompt. Press 'e' to edit the standard values at the grub menu.

Failing that, you could just boot into puppy linux and use grub to check what the config should be.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I am running the latest version of Ubuntu, and I keep receiving an error "Enter password for default keyring to unlock - The application on 'NetworkManagager Applet' wants access to the default keyring, but its lock".

I've tried multiple passwords but nothing will remove that message. Any ideas?

*I've tried several tips from the Ubuntu forums, but I keep getting "Access Denied" when I try changing the password.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 3, 2009

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
I just set up Samba on my linux box, and I'm getting very slow transfer speeds between that and my laptop with XP on it. Both machines are connected wirelessly to a router. I've done a bit of googling and haven't found anything useful yet, so maybe one of you blokes can help.

I admit I'm a bit lost, as I've never had to do much networking in the past.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

I am running the latest version of Ubuntu, and I keep receiving an error "Enter password for default keyring to unlock - The application on 'NetworkManagager Applet' wants access to the default keyring, but its lock".

I've tried multiple passwords but nothing will remove that message. Any ideas?

*I've tried several tips from the Ubuntu forums, but I keep getting "Access Denied" when I try changing the password.
When you first use the keyring, it wants you to enter a password. That password doesn't have to be your actual user password, just something that's used to unlock OTHER passwords, like passwords for AIM or ICQ in pidgin, passwords for wireless networks in NetworkManager Applet. One password for many services.

You don't have to use it if you don't want to, clicking cancel just means you will have to enter the password manually. Or, you could try entering a blank password and see if you maybe just pressed enter the first time it asked you. :)

Otherwise, if that doesn't work, you can just delete ~/.gnome2/keyrings I think.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Coupon Wizard posted:

Both machines are connected wirelessly to a router. I've done a bit of googling and haven't found anything useful yet, so maybe one of you blokes can help.

Have you tried a similar transfer between two windows hosts? Don't forget that wireless is basically a giant single-duplex collision domain so the more talk there is the more collisions, the slower your transfer is going to get. It's basically why I ditched wifi in my home in favour of ethernet connections.

That may, of course, not be the problem, but I'd try running this between two Windows hosts if you can. If you get similar results, that's just WiFi being WiFi.

Catch 22
Dec 1, 2003

Zom Aur posted:

Right, but that's not how grub looks at it. :)

If it's ext3, it should work fine with grub, unlike LVM without a separate /boot partition.

Anyways, I suspect it's just a matter of configuration. Most likely it's just as easy as changing hd0,0 to hd1,0 at the boot prompt. Press 'e' to edit the standard values at the grub menu.

Failing that, you could just boot into puppy linux and use grub to check what the config should be.

Cool beans, I am all set, booted, installed rtorrent and everything, but I am at my last hurtle. Normally I would toss everything PHP related at this server until it worked, but I am dealing with MBs of space left on this USB drive. rTWi is just a php page and config files (you just toss this to the web directory). This is the most minimal CentOS install you can do, and I have only added vim, wget, rtorrent, httpd. Now I had it to the point were it was just displaying the index.php source, so I yum installed php. Now I get a blank page. (by blank, I mean white, not a 404 or error)

Now I might just have something wrong with the rTWi config, but would there be anything else that I need to install for php support?
edit: nevermind, I found a install man, that pointed to the need for xml and curl support required, installed and everything is cool. Thanks.

Catch 22 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 3, 2009

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

EDIT: Nevermind figured it out on my own.

Mode 7 Samurai fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 4, 2009

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys
I'm trying to use sed to make a text file with fixed-width line wrapping (i.e., one with newlines every 80 character) into one where the text editor can put in its own soft-breaks.

Since all paragraph breaks use two newlines in a row, I decided to just search for two newlines in a row and replace them with some unique token, then delete all remaining newlines (since they should be just junk linebreaks rather than paragraph breaks we want to preserve) and then return the unique tokens back to paragraph two-newline breaks.

My idea is something like sed -r s/\r\n\r\n/\foobarbaz/g ~/myfile.txt | sed -r s/\r\n//g | sed -r s/foobarbaz/\r\n\r\n/g > ~/myfile.txt. However, I'm having trouble with even the first command, sed -r s/\n\n/\foobarbaz/g ~/myfile.txt. It doesn't seem to detect any newlines.

I tried matching a even a single newline and no luck. I tried matching a carriage, \r, return, no luck. I tried adding the -r option, no luck.

It works when I'm matching fixed text, like 's/console/command line/g', but not \n or \r. Grep will happily print out every line of text when I say grep -r '\r\n' ~/myfile.txt.

What am I doing wrong? I should note here that my text is being copy+past'ed out of my web browser, Opera, into gEdit, and saved to disk, so line endings are in \r\n format, for some reason.

Also, is there a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to do?

Edit: I should mention I'm using either the latest version of Ubuntu, or the version before that, and I'm relatively sure I'm using GNU sed since at the end of its --help output I see "E-mail big reports to: bonzin@gnu.org ."

Magicmat fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 4, 2009

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

Martytoof posted:

Have you tried a similar transfer between two windows hosts? Don't forget that wireless is basically a giant single-duplex collision domain so the more talk there is the more collisions, the slower your transfer is going to get. It's basically why I ditched wifi in my home in favour of ethernet connections.

That may, of course, not be the problem, but I'd try running this between two Windows hosts if you can. If you get similar results, that's just WiFi being WiFi.

I'll give it a shot when I can (probably in the next few days), as the only other Windows machines here belong to other people.

Oh, I forgot to mention in my last post, speedwise I tried to copy a 2gb directory onto my laptop (the one with XP) and it said it was going to take over 2 hours. Surely this can't be normal? I guess I'll know when my brother gets back.

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

Magicmat posted:

I'm trying to use sed to make a text file with fixed-width line wrapping (i.e., one with newlines every 80 character) into one where the text editor can put in its own soft-breaks.

sed ordinarily works on single lines, so it doesn't see newline characters at all, but you can use the N command to append the next line to the current one, including the newline.

try sed ':a;N;s/\n\([^\n]\)/ \1/g;ta'

:a is a label, N appends the next line, s/\n\([^n]\)/ \1/g replaces a newline with a space if it is not immediately followed by another newline, and finally ta jumps back to the start if it matched something.

code:
I'm trying
to use sed to
make a
text
file

Since all
paragraph breaks
use two newlines
in a
becomes:
code:
I'm trying to use sed to make a text file

Since all paragraph breaks use two newlines in a

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Magicmat posted:

What am I doing wrong? I should note here that my text is being copy+past'ed out of my web browser, Opera, into gEdit, and saved to disk, so line endings are in \r\n format, for some reason.
Mario's post sounds like it would answer it, but the \r\n is the Windows/DOS way of using newlines and I'm not sure how sed handles them. You can switch the file to unix newlines with the command 'dos2unix' and back again with 'unix2dos'.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Coupon Wizard posted:

I'll give it a shot when I can (probably in the next few days), as the only other Windows machines here belong to other people.

Oh, I forgot to mention in my last post, speedwise I tried to copy a 2gb directory onto my laptop (the one with XP) and it said it was going to take over 2 hours. Surely this can't be normal? I guess I'll know when my brother gets back.

Yeah that doesn't sound right. Maybe try this in the meantime: Download pscp.exe (google search) and try to pscp the same file to/from your linux box using SSH. If you get noticeably higher speeds then you can safely disregard my WiFi suggestion and concentrate on Samba itself.

Sorry for the lack of concrete solutions, but this might at least point you in the right direction.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
2 Questions:

1) I am using xubuntu and I install it from absolute scratch with no extra fluff, the base install is about 6-700mg. What are the only packages I need for sound, do I need to do anything more than "sudo apt-get install alsa"?

2) What program do I need to install to make usb keys automatically mounted, ex. I need to run sudo fdisk -l to find the drive then mount /dev/[drive] /[path] every time I want to mount my drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Megaman posted:

2 Questions:

1) I am using xubuntu and I install it from absolute scratch with no extra fluff, the base install is about 6-700mg. What are the only packages I need for sound, do I need to do anything more than "sudo apt-get install alsa"?

2) What program do I need to install to make usb keys automatically mounted, ex. I need to run sudo fdisk -l to find the drive then mount /dev/[drive] /[path] every time I want to mount my drive.
1) Doubt you even need that actually. Should work from scratch. Otherwise, aptitude install alsautils (Or alsa-utils, I forget), then run alsaconf as root.

2) You'd need hal and dbus for that. Should be installed by default I think.
E: Oh, and a filemanager that supports it, I guess. Thunar should be your best bet since you're already running XFCE (and it should already be installed).