Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

ZombiePeanut posted:

Haha, I never noticed before how he has like 5 pickups on that bass. That's a lot of funk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Scarf posted:

As much as I love Bootsy... The space/starbass has nothing on Phil Lesh's Godfather:

(yes, those are labels on his controls)

And his new Ritter is nothing to shake a stick at either, although it features less controls...

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Hubis posted:

Haha, I never noticed before how he has like 5 pickups on that bass. That's a lot of funk!

He has like 8 million versions of the thing. Some only have 2. But the 5 pickup version is of course my personal favorite. :whatup:

Also that other bass is ludicrous. What do those knobs even do? Also is that... thing in the middle pickup position some kind of pickup? It looks like a sheet of gold foil.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

ZombiePeanut posted:

He has like 8 million versions of the thing. Some only have 2. But the 5 pickup version is of course my personal favorite. :whatup:

Also that other bass is ludicrous. What do those knobs even do? Also is that... thing in the middle pickup position some kind of pickup? It looks like a sheet of gold foil.

Not sure, that may be an empty cavity w/ shielding-tape in it. Not really sure what all the knobs do, I'm sure some deadheads could tell you.

I'm pretty sure Phil liked to use Quadraphonic pickups (meaning each string had it's own output), so maybe thats what all the controls are for.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 2, 2009

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

Scarf posted:

As much as I love Bootsy... The space/starbass has nothing on Phil Lesh's Godfather:

Okay, my bass has three knobs... can someone explain what the rest of these do?

Nosir
Jun 11, 2006

Hubis posted:

Now I know how he can afford to give up so much funk! 5 pups is a lot of soul.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
Ok, I got some lovely cellphone pics of the RGA from the seller.

Ok this looks pretty good, I can't see a scratch so it's all good and....

... What did he DO with this guitar? :psyduck:

I see something < shaped in the left part of this picture, is that a crack or is it just something with the wood?

So what do you think guys? It's a pretty good price, and I don't really mind the aesthetic part. I'm just worried since i'll have to buy this guitar unseen (he lives far away) that there might be something broken due to the rough way it seems to have been handled. For context my current guitar has a satin finish and is 2 years older than this RGA, I've played every single day and gigged with it, and the finish is loving pristine.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Scarf posted:

Not sure, that may be an empty cavity w/ shielding-tape in it. Not really sure what all the knobs do, I'm sure some deadheads could tell you.

I'm pretty sure Phil liked to use Quadraphonic pickups (meaning each string had it's own output), so maybe thats what all the controls are for.

Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick has also used a bass with quadrophonic pickups (scroll down near the bottom).

Phil definitely uses them too, and I think that particular bass also has an onboard Alembic superfilter. He was also an early adopter of MIDI'd basses, using a wired-fret system so you don't get the same latency problems as with a regular MIDI pickup.

vac
Jul 10, 2005
:o

Scarf posted:

I don't get it, did he fill the bass's cavities? Are the strings soldered on???

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

I see something < shaped in the left part of this picture, is that a crack or is it just something with the wood?

So what do you think guys? It's a pretty good price, and I don't really mind the aesthetic part. I'm just worried since i'll have to buy this guitar unseen (he lives far away) that there might be something broken due to the rough way it seems to have been handled. For context my current guitar has a satin finish and is 2 years older than this RGA, I've played every single day and gigged with it, and the finish is loving pristine.

Holy poo poo what the gently caress?!

KimJongSick
Nov 6, 2008

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

(images already quoted)

(images already quoted)

Some people actually move like they have a pulse/soul when they play.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

KimJongSick posted:

Some people actually move like they have a pulse/soul when they play.

I move a lot when I play and my guitars look good, not hosed up like that one.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

In the mail now! Suck my dick, forces of nature!!!

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

Get some pics of his next guitar. If it's significantly better than this one, then you know this is a good guitar and he just played the hell out of it because he liked how it sounded, if his next guitar is just a replacement/slight upgrade then he's worn this one out and is simply replacing it. I'm no expert (Agreed will agree with me on that :) ) but that just looks like typical wear to me. He probably just plays the guitar a lot more than you do, wearing denim or something. A guitar that used it probably going to need fretwork and maybe a new nut, your guitar shop should be able to closely match/blend the stain/finish on the edges with not much effort while you already have it in the shop for the other stuff. The buckle rash is another story.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

stun runner posted:

wish I had an extra $450 :(

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

stun runner posted:

Is it actually on sale yet or what because sites selling Live 8 so far have basically been "not in stock call for details" or selling Live 7 with a free Live 8 upgrade.

Ableton usually releases a beta before the product (and said they would this time around) so I don't see why they'd just surprise release it like they appear to have done.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Okay, unsure of how to proceed from here. I picked up the $100 Carvin today and it's pretty interesting. It's a maple neck-thru with alder body wings and an ebony (!) 24-fret fretboard. The trem is a Kahler that's in great working condition. The finish is absolutely terrible - someone went and finished the neck, which was originally bare / oiled maple, and did a horrible job. They didn't try to match the color and did the actual finish with this weird poo poo that cracked and bubbled all over. It was originally wired as a stereo output, hence the extra switches, I guess. Current pickups are a mystery Fender in the neck and a mystery Ibanez in the bridge.

Options:

1. Quick Flip
2. Part It Out
3. Fix It Up

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Run Dodo Run posted:

Is it actually on sale yet or what because sites selling Live 8 so far have basically been "not in stock call for details" or selling Live 7 with a free Live 8 upgrade.

Ableton usually releases a beta before the product (and said they would this time around) so I don't see why they'd just surprise release it like they appear to have done.

It's been in beta for a few months and started shipping yesterday (Wednesday)

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

Run Dodo Run posted:

I just installed the download version 8)

And now I'm waiting for 6,000 presets to copy :gonk:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
update: gonna sand it down and paint it black

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

Carbohydrates posted:

update: gonna sand it down and paint it black

Don't do that! It'll just look like one of the million other generic looking black ugly guitars! Paint it with a similar color to what it already has or have someone do a nice quilt on it. That guitar deserves something much better than plain black!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Steiler Drep posted:

Don't do that! It'll just look like one of the million other generic looking black ugly guitars! Paint it with a similar color to what it already has or have someone do a nice quilt on it. That guitar deserves something much better than plain black!
I really don't like the metallic dark blue it already has and I need something that'll match the black head, ebony board, and black hardware. Besides, blackout seems appropriate for an 80's bass with a kahler!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

Ask him for a closeup of that V in the neck- that could be a dealbreaker for sure. The buckle rash looks nasty, but it's not like there are chunks missing. You can hit those with a fine grit sandpaper to smooth them out a bit so nothing snags.

I'd say if the neck is OK and he's asking a reasonable price for such a trashed guitar- say under 500 bucks- then I'd be all over that poo poo.

Adrian Finol
Sep 5, 2004
ok ok! I'm not touching this thing anymore.

Replaced the old Mellowtone booster with the Maxon EQ and replaced the MI Blues Pro overdrive with the Big Muff (was using the BP as a fuzz with its fuzz switch engaged).

Had a chance to record with the band last night using the new setup, here's a cover of Radiohead's Just (my stuff's on the left channel).

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

After hearing this demo I'm probably going to get a Tech21 Liverpool as soon as I've got the spare.

This demo is amazing, too, just for showing its direct tone and for the guy's accent. Wowowowee, they've done a number with the Liverpool I think. I've got enough Marshall in a Box, how about Vox in an Enclosure? (well, Vox in a Box sounds awfully Dr. Seuss-ish.)

Another good one, shows off some of its boosted AC30 grit tones. Anyone else hearing these want one?

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 3, 2009

KimJongSick
Nov 6, 2008

Agreed posted:

I move a lot when I play and my guitars look good, not hosed up like that one.

Does the guy carry pens in his pockets by clipping them to his jeans? That could be a big part of it. I used to have a tiny little Gerber knife for cutting poo poo open at work, and the clip scratched the poo poo out of my SG (which I've since sold) in a very similar fashion when I was sitting down. Since that and the 'belt buckle' area are the most heavily scratched parts, that might be what happened. That kind of wear doesn't shock me at all.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
it's a pedal bonanza! I now own more pedals than I ever have. check out my score:

I got these from Agreed in a trade for my Catlainbread Hyperpak. It was cool, just not my thing. He didn't want to own these anymore so my lack of gear integrity due to poverty was a good fit. Even if they're not great pedals (despite the fact that they're direct copies of some loving awesome pedals), they'll be great for different color palettes.

and here's what i'm most excited about :
red witch moon phase

Some dude was selling this for stupid cheap because no one wants the first gen of this (despite the fact that the only difference between this and the new version is it comes in silver and is only mono out). It APPEARS TO BE a pretty versatile phase with a nice, unique tremolo. Very subtle sound on the effects. I was also looking at the Mojo Hand Nebula, but that seemed to only do the one phase 45/90 trick. it did it REALLY REALLY well, but for the money, i wanted something a little more versatile. lots of sounds and apparently, very tweakable. Can not wait to get it in. hopefully it doesn't disappoint.

For Loop fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 3, 2009

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

PoorPeteBest posted:

In the mail now! Suck my dick, forces of nature!!!

I had one of the CA RTGs last year. It just played wonderfully! I've never played an acoustic where the neck... oooh. I cannot even describe it.

Congrats man!

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?
Got me a guitar. Used to play before i took up bass full time, i am still pretty awful playingwise but its fun and i like to write Doomy/Death metally songs which i couldnt really do on a bass.

Aquired a Jackson Warrior WRMG, Real EMG 81/85's, Decent low profile Floyd Rose, Made in Japan, free strings and plectrums. Slightly shop soiled (From Reverb Bristol UK) Got it for £380 quid. Pretty bargainous. If any of you are looking for a nice flying V, They have some nice schecter V's with real EMGs, set neck etc for 399 and frankly it sounded a little better then the jackson. Only reason i didnt get it was i couldnt sit down comfortably with it. Might suit the live player more.

I downtuned it to B standard and sorted the tremolo out and will keep in tune pretty well considering the slightly "lighter gauge then it should be" strings.

Anyway. pics.

Time to start writing songs for the band! No sound samples as i dont really have an amp, Just been mucking around in amplitude. I sound awful anyway. I am finding it hard to get used to a plectrum again.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
jesus. that thing has a lot of edges and points! loving metal. looks like it plays really smooth. i have short fingers (but wide hands, thanks nature) and jackson necks work really well for me. have fun with that beast.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Not quite as exciting as a new guitar or amp or anything, but I decided to finally get some decent tools and learn how to do fretwork. I figure it should save me a bunch of money in the long run, and it's a good skill to have.

Also:

I just bought StroboSoft tuning software - a virtual strobe tuner accurate to 1/10th of a cent; I've already intonated 2 of my guitars with it and I have absolutely no regrets in the purchase.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
oh man, i want one of those string height cards. actually, i want all that stuff you have there.

I need to learn how to do fretwork. i know how to setup and intonate, but frets and nuts are still scary for me.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I got the Stewmac fret end file a little while ago and fixed up both my basses, which were starting to get some shrink and sharp fret ends. Good poo poo.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

MasterWerk posted:

oh man, i want one of those string height cards. actually, i want all that stuff you have there.

I need to learn how to do fretwork. i know how to setup and intonate, but frets and nuts are still scary for me.

Yeah, it's scary to me too, but what's scarier is that the frets are gouged and buzzy on my favorite guitar, and after pricing it out, it would cost around $100 to have a tech level and crown my frets, and if I wanted to get a new neck (which I'm considering eventually), it would cost like $400 from Warmoth, and would probably still require a level and crown.

If I invest a couple hundred on the tools now, I figure I can break even by doing my own fretwork on just 2 or 3 of my guitars. Seeing as I have about a dozen guitars, learning to do the fretwork myself seems like the most logical choice.

EDIT: I'm still trying to figure out a way to make my own notched straightedge though - I'm having a really hard time justifying paying ~$80 for one from StewMac... I'm going to try picking up a nice piece of aluminum from a hardware store and making one myself. If it ends up too inaccurate, I'll just bite the bullet and spend the extra money.

JohnnySmitch fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 3, 2009

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Carbohydrates posted:

Options:

1. Quick Flip
2. Part It Out
3. Fix It Up
Very cool. Even the Kahler trem is worth more than what you paid for the entire bass. Sure it is a little rough, but you can also save the pains of painting and just vinyl the body if you want. The rest looks fine so long as it holds a strap well.

If you do go through sanding it down, please please please, take your time! I've done this to a few in the past and rushing it over spending time on it has cost me... well, just looks. Carvin's paint is T H I C K too. It will take a lot of chipping and sanding to get that off. And try to keep it under tension if you can. Go easy with that neck! It will survive and hold up.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

JohnnySmitch posted:

I just bought StroboSoft tuning software - a virtual strobe tuner accurate to 1/10th of a cent; I've already intonated 2 of my guitars with it and I have absolutely no regrets in the purchase.

Did you end up getting the standard or deluxe version? I'll probably download a demo sometime next week when I have some time to play with it, but am curious whether any of the deluxe features are worth the extra $$$.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

h_double posted:

Did you end up getting the standard or deluxe version? I'll probably download a demo sometime next week when I have some time to play with it, but am curious whether any of the deluxe features are worth the extra $$$.

I'm actually still on the demo version (deluxe - about a week left); I'll probably stick with the deluxe because of the added 'sweetened tunings', VST capabilities, and unlimited custom tuning storage, even though I doubt I'll really use any of those. If figure it's still like half the price of the hardware version, so I'll still come out ahead.

I gotta add - the strobe display is really cool and beats the hell out of all the other tuners I've ever used.

kukrunkarmaskin
Mar 28, 2005

you should see my TMNT® Machinegun
After some more mailing back and forth with the seller, I've decided to buy the RGA!
Apparently he bought the guitar used and the guy before him had scratched it up to about 90% of what you see on the pictures. He said the neck and the frets were fine, and nothing was otherwise wrong with the guitar and it played great and so on. He's also gonna put on new strings and intonate it for me before he ships.

The guy gave an honest impression so I'm gonna take his word for it, some scratching doesn't bother me. The price was around $600 USD, keep in mind that they go for way more new here (Sweden) than in the US though (about $1100-1300)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UberNoke
Jul 20, 2004

Are you injecting dope into your scrotum!? You can tell me! I’m hip!

stun runner posted:

Okay, my bass has three knobs... can someone explain what the rest of these do?

I believe "The Godfather" had high and low pass filters for each string, which would account for most of those knobs. Phil Lesh was playing a speaker system for awhile that would send the output from each string to different speaker configurations, something only made possible by Alembic's massive modifications of his Starfire.