Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Automating delay settings is my new favorite thing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 8, 2014

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

IanTheM posted:

I've been working away at trying my hand at dubstep, just wonder if anyone could comment on these:

http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/Goodbye.mp3
Starts off fast, but I had a mid-song writing process epiphany and made a chilled out track instead.

http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/Phantom%20%28Prof.%20Emp.%20Dub%29.mp3
Remixed my favourite Justice song so that I could use it at my next gig, easy song to remix I think.

http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/Medium%20Cool.mp3
More burial-esque playing with vocal samples but, the synths are kinda weak and there's still work todo.

all of your drums sound kind of whack. especially the hats in the justice remix, theyre so jerky and loud. sounds decent tho.

astrodawg
Dec 26, 2005

on a mission for the glory of the USSR
http://tindeck.com/listen/kddn

My attempt at music. Any feedback would be appreciated.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

astrodawg posted:

http://tindeck.com/listen/kddn

My attempt at music. Any feedback would be appreciated.

To me it sounds like you just took a bunch of loops and presets you found and pasted them together. It's pretty awful.
Leads are too grating, the main is spread too far (there's a big gap in the center of the stereo field), the gated hit doesn't flow well, and they're way too bassy. Also, having pretty much every lead be a bright supersaw is making them clash. Very presetty sounding.

The drums are alright, kind of boring though. The cymbal is throwing me off.Overall, pretty boring. It feels like the song has no flow or no solid progression.

Some of the transitions are terrible, like the 3:10 mark.

It doesn't sound like you're making poor musical decisions, it sounds like you don't really know what you're doing. Overall, I'm not saying it's not worth working on, but you're at maybe 15% completion.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
hey can someone hook me up with a clean installfile for asio4all 2.9?

The main site seems to be down for some reason.

I just reinstalled and I kinda need it. you can pm me or send to kai at phear dot com

Thanks!

also

Kai was taken posted:

To me it sounds like you just took a bunch of loops and presets you found and pasted them together. It's pretty awful.
Leads are too grating, the main is spread too far (there's a big gap in the center of the stereo field), the gated hit doesn't flow well, and they're way too bassy. Also, having pretty much every lead be a bright supersaw is making them clash. Very presetty sounding.

The drums are alright, kind of boring though. The cymbal is throwing me off.Overall, pretty boring. It feels like the song has no flow or no solid progression.

Some of the transitions are terrible, like the 3:10 mark.

It doesn't sound like you're making poor musical decisions, it sounds like you don't really know what you're doing. Overall, I'm not saying it's not worth working on, but you're at maybe 15% completion.

This man is right. Havent heard a bassline like that since 2 Unlimited reigned supreme. In 1991 or something.

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary

This is the first song I've ever felt comfortable asking for criticism. :3: Two notes:

A. it's unfinished. I only started it 2 days ago but am pleased with where I am at the moment. I know it's too short etc.

B. I haven't had a chance to mix it on nice monitors so I've only heard it on semi-lovely headphones and decent generic computer speakers.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I did some sebastiAn style chopping on the end, it's sort of just hanging off the song, does my technique (read: imitation) sound okay?

9b817f5 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 8, 2009

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

IanTheM posted:

http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/Goodbye.mp3
Starts off fast, but I had a mid-song writing process epiphany and made a chilled out track instead.
I like it, but I think the kicks after the drop are too steady. They need to fall on some other beats so its not so plodding. It doesn't really roll right now. I really like it, but the kicks just gotta stop being so "1-2-3-4". And the snare that falls on the 2 and 4 needs to snap better. Raise the upper mids/lower his a bit to make it crack a little more distinctly.

quote:

http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/Phantom%20%28Prof.%20Emp.%20Dub%29.mp3
Remixed my favourite Justice song so that I could use it at my next gig, easy song to remix I think.
I think you gotta cut this one way harder. By that, I mean, you gotta mix up the intro. Make it come off different. Cut those samples shorter, space um out, rearrange the melody. It just comes off kinda lame right now. I don't mean to be insulting, its just falls flat.

Maybe I was expecting a dubstep remix, though. I hear it, but I think this could be a next level remix if you sold that bassline. Dubstep's all about the drop dude, and that bass just comes in kinda unexpected. I think you just gotta sit with this track for a while and come back to it. I think adding a bunch variation to the cut up of the Justice synths would be a big step in that direction cuz right now it just sounds like Phantom with crazier drums on it.

quote:

http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/Medium%20Cool.mp3
More burial-esque playing with vocal samples but, the synths are kinda weak and there's still work todo.
Even though that atmospheric dubstep style isn't my favorite, this is a solid one. The vocals are very pleasant, I like them a lot. Solid track, keep at it. I'd say, open up the lowpass on the bass synth a little bit. Its so squished, to needs to breathe a little more. Could just be my crappy headphones, though.

That snare roll thing towards the end is insane though I don't know what to say about that.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

just wondering what kind (if any) of plugins you use on your master out. me first: I've got a level meter on mine!

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Anacostia posted:

This is the first song I've ever felt comfortable asking for criticism. :3: Two notes:

A. it's unfinished. I only started it 2 days ago but am pleased with where I am at the moment. I know it's too short etc.

B. I haven't had a chance to mix it on nice monitors so I've only heard it on semi-lovely headphones and decent generic computer speakers.

I did some sebastiAn style chopping on the end, it's sort of just hanging off the song, does my technique (read: imitation) sound okay?
I like it. I would run the whole mix through a bit crusher a reverb with very short time and early reflection by the tons, plus a a nice lowpass in the first section, then a high pass slowing dropping the bass in on the chords. Also make a nice synth bed for your song to lay in.

Just work on the edits a lot like a dj and add maybe one more element. Nice first effort.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

So yeah, really my new(ish) favorite thing is remixing r&b. Don't know why, but Craig David - Fill Me In last week, and now Blu Cantrell - Hit Em Up Style

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Wow, it's been a while since I've posted anything here. May as well add to the pile since that's what everyone else is doing.

Ambient/dub techno in a Deepchord-like style.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
Is there any free drum sequencer software available in AU that has a ReDrum/Ableton Clip View kind of interface?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .
http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/Phantom%20%28Stranger%20Song%20Remix%29.mp3
I fixed up the bassline from before, it's definitely not done and I'm sure I'll get back to it when I'm really in the mood to add more detail.

ManoliIsFat posted:

Maybe I was expecting a dubstep remix, though. I hear it, but I think this could be a next level remix if you sold that bassline. Dubstep's all about the drop dude, and that bass just comes in kinda unexpected. I think you just gotta sit with this track for a while and come back to it. I think adding a bunch variation to the cut up of the Justice synths would be a big step in that direction cuz right now it just sounds like Phantom with crazier drums on it.

Another track I started working on, still trying to get that bass mixed in right. The last time I tried to play my phantom mix on a big system the sub-bass created a "brown note" essentially, kind of painful for the ears so I'm trying to find the sweet spot on my speaks for mixing down tracks.
http://dl-client.getdropbox.com/u/71572/Lift%20It%20High.mp3

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I don't really know quite what this is supposed to be.
Click here to download stateless.mp3
Its electronic music of some sort. But with some sort of mutant jazz spazzed into it or some poo poo.

I'm not entirely happy with the first part, the quasi-atonal run at the start is a little mechanical and almost has a tracker feel to it. But in general I'm chuffed with how the second part came out. Most people I've played seem to like the first part but friends are rarely objective judges, so I dunno, I probably need to have a smoke and think it over.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 9, 2009

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Anacostia posted:

Sick bassline man. :)

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

mezzir posted:

So yeah, really my new(ish) favorite thing is remixing r&b. Don't know why, but Craig David - Fill Me In last week, and now Blu Cantrell - Hit Em Up Style

I love it, dog. Even if there's a glut of pop dnb remxes, its just so much fun to do.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Anacostia posted:

I liked this one rear end well. The thing that stood out the most was the bassline, because it is really sick. I think it could possibly use some more grit by adding some gain or using an overdrive, but that is just my opinion. Honestly, it feels like there is still a lot of white space in this song that needs to be filled up, so go hog wild (with moderation)! The intro of the song could use some more percussion I think, electronic or otherwise. That way it also gains a little more DJ utility in the sense that you can cut out the bass and use a percussion riff or vies versa. Also, great breakdown at the end. I would definitely like a finished copy of this

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

duck monster posted:

I don't really know quite what this is supposed to be.
Click here to download stateless.mp3
Its electronic music of some sort. But with some sort of mutant jazz spazzed into it or some poo poo.

I'm not entirely happy with the first part, the quasi-atonal run at the start is a little mechanical and almost has a tracker feel to it. But in general I'm chuffed with how the second part came out. Most people I've played seem to like the first part but friends are rarely objective judges, so I dunno, I probably need to have a smoke and think it over.

Ok let me over you some criticism because I really like the idea you are working with in this song. The second piano line that comes in is really great and is tastefully complex. However, I feel the first piano line is a little mechanical, not that it's not good, just that it doesn't match the song well. I think you should add a bit more jazzy chord progression and swing it a bit. Also, the drums sound good, but I think the snare hits are a little straightforward at times for being what seems to be a jazz inspired piece. So add some of that swing! And possibly making the drums sound a bit more old-timey by cutting out a little of the highs with a filter and adding a little noise via distortion. I think you are trying to build up a lot of tension in the first part and release it in the second, which is a good idea. But to build tension in the first part, I'd be wary about dropping out the second piano line and the strings so quickl, especially to bring them back so soon thereafter. Let them play through the first part and slowly add instrumentation until the second part.

For the second part, I really like the clarinet playing the leading tones. But, I think the piano is a bit too atonal at parts to resolve well. Specifically, I think some tritones are being placed where a minor would do better. Also, make sure that synth at the end is in sync and maybe change up the drums for the second part. Sorry if this sounds like I'm really trying to pick apart your piece because I really do like it.

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
Thanks for the comments. I'm having a bit of writers block right now but hopefully something will strike me. More distortion on the bass I think.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ben and Stew posted:

Ok let me over you some criticism because I really like the idea you are working with in this song. The second piano line that comes in is really great and is tastefully complex. However, I feel the first piano line is a little mechanical, not that it's not good, just that it doesn't match the song well. I think you should add a bit more jazzy chord progression and swing it a bit. Also, the drums sound good, but I think the snare hits are a little straightforward at times for being what seems to be a jazz inspired piece. So add some of that swing! And possibly making the drums sound a bit more old-timey by cutting out a little of the highs with a filter and adding a little noise via distortion. I think you are trying to build up a lot of tension in the first part and release it in the second, which is a good idea. But to build tension in the first part, I'd be wary about dropping out the second piano line and the strings so quickl, especially to bring them back so soon thereafter. Let them play through the first part and slowly add instrumentation until the second part.

For the second part, I really like the clarinet playing the leading tones. But, I think the piano is a bit too atonal at parts to resolve well. Specifically, I think some tritones are being placed where a minor would do better. Also, make sure that synth at the end is in sync and maybe change up the drums for the second part. Sorry if this sounds like I'm really trying to pick apart your piece because I really do like it.

I was sort of aiming at it not resolving particularly well, to kinda make it a little uncomfortable. I threw that one down after talking to a refugee friend about his feeling of dislocation and kinda wanted to somehow get the feel of being rootless or something. So I figured on a lobsided time signature that SOUNDS regular but is literally undanceable, and breaking a bunch of hamony rules , whilst still keeping the tonal centres clear enough , to make it feel a little more nervous.

I think your right about the rigidity at the start. I really need to revisit the drums. Most of it comes from a sliced take of some jazz line I found and I smacked it around a bit, lopped the 8th off it (which I feel worked surprisingly well and it sounds 4/3/4/3 which is what I wanted) and then got a bit scrambly on it. When the tension builds I think I'm messing up some of the slice, so I'll probably go back and have another play with that. I'm actually kinda tempted to make it twitch a bit more obviously to make it clearer what I'm trying to do there. Dunno, I'll experiment.

That piano bass line at the start , I'm torn, I'm kinda attached to it, but your right it does feel a little out of place. Needs a bit more experimentation.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 10, 2009

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

also, not related to the previous thing, but have a listen to this hoopy little beat I cooked up in a fit of inspiration.

Click here to listen to lobsidedjones.mp3

Not mixed, and audacitys mp3 export is loving terrible. Just a 30 second sample of the loop.

I have no idea what I'm going to do with something so angular, but it'll be fun to watch people trying to dance to it, whatever it is.

I think I'm in love with the number 7.

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
Can anyone recommend me a good distortion VST (free or $$$, doesn't matter)? I've been using the distortion module in Reason but it basically just sounds like I'm playing everything through a lovely 40$ guitar amp.

Boxx
Jan 7, 2005

mezzir posted:

I'm feelin this bassline mang

Edit:

I was going to make a separate post for this but I'll just drop it right here and hope for some response: I'm just getting into production/creation/mixing of electronic music and have a couple different interests genre wise and a pretty good understanding of those that I'm interested in. All I'm saying with that is that I know what sounds good and adheres to the styles. What I don't know and would really like input on is the vocabulary of those that work within the softwares. I find myself reading a lot of different tutorials and watching videos and being perplexed by a lot of the language. I could give an example if nobody minds me copy/pasting a wall of text from Dogs On Acid that perplexes me...but anyway I guess I like to meta before I jump in and I kind of want to know how to do a couple things before I just drop in on something and create something absolutely lame...which is probably what will happen anyway but at least I will know how I did it, haha.

Boxx fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 10, 2009

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary

Boxx posted:

The jargon is something that you just have to pick up. Remember that a lot of it is sort of arbitrarily made up and often relates to what the parameter does (think dry/wet). Other jargon comes from electrical engineering and stuff not actually related to music (i.e. q = resonance). Most of the vocabulary is standard across all software/synth, so if you just stick to one program/synth it should all become easier over time.

As for genre specific jargon, most of that is really esoteric and pretty much arbitrary.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Anacostia posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good distortion VST (free or $$$, doesn't matter)? I've been using the distortion module in Reason but it basically just sounds like I'm playing everything through a lovely 40$ guitar amp.

Predatohm is pretty dope.

The same developers (Ohm Force) have a new distortion plugin called Ohmicide, but I haven't tried it.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Boxx posted:

Edit:

I was going to make a separate post for this but I'll just drop it right here and hope for some response: I'm just getting into production/creation/mixing of electronic music and have a couple different interests genre wise and a pretty good understanding of those that I'm interested in. All I'm saying with that is that I know what sounds good and adheres to the styles. What I don't know and would really like input on is the vocabulary of those that work within the softwares. I find myself reading a lot of different tutorials and watching videos and being perplexed by a lot of the language. I could give an example if nobody minds me copy/pasting a wall of text from Dogs On Acid that perplexes me...but anyway I guess I like to meta before I jump in and I kind of want to know how to do a couple things before I just drop in on something and create something absolutely lame...which is probably what will happen anyway but at least I will know how I did it, haha.

you could know everything about dance music but it doesnt mean you can make it. your first songs are going to be very lame, its just how it is. its just like a guitar or keys, you could know all the theory in the world but if you dont practice it doesnt matter.

basically, dont worry about reading a ton before you even make music. just start making music and then youll figure out what you want to read about. and its definitely one of those practice makes perfect type things.

it took me a while to realize this. theres so much interesting poo poo to read about music, but in the end its practice.

in fact im just wasting time reading about music right now.

oredun fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 10, 2009

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

Anacostia posted:

Are you only using Reason? I don't think you can use vsts with reason.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Boxx posted:

Haha god drat, this always happens. The ONE thing in the song I'm really not sure about is the thing people like, go figure. Yeah I'm still not 100% confident its not too simple, its just fuckin half notes all song long, but at the same time I can't write anything that sounds better, so idk what to do about it really. Leave it I guess?

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary

Altoidss posted:

Are you only using Reason? I don't think you can use vsts with reason.

Rewire is wonderful :).

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
http://yfinder.de/random/wayfinder-spherical.exe <- this is a kind of exersize in sound design, I guess. This 16kb executable (win) contains both the synthesizer and the song data and plays the song in real time.

(Cheaters click here for the mp3)

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

That is really awesome :monocle:

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

wayfinder posted:

http://yfinder.de/random/wayfinder-spherical.exe <- this is a kind of exersize in sound design, I guess. This 16kb executable (win) contains both the synthesizer and the song data and plays the song in real time.

...this is incredible. The quality is REALLY good for what I was expecting to hear. Great job.

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE

wayfinder posted:

This is good. The bass / kick combo in particular. Can you tell me about how you EQ'd the kick and bass together? I don't know what to do when the note starts at the same time.

Also the lead sort of sound that comes in about half way is fantastic. The notes have a real feeling of progression and adventure, kind've like old SNES rpgs. :) Thanks for postin'.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Thanks everyone :)

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

Can you tell me about how you EQ'd the kick and bass together? I don't know what to do when the note starts at the same time.
There's no EQ in this synthesizer :D I'm using a faked sidechaining; ducking the volume of the bass around the kick, that's all. It's still too strong on a loud system, curse mixing on headphones!

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Whatchya do that in. C or something fancy like supercollider or something?

Cos if you did that in C, get your resume to NI pronto, because thats some smooth poo poo.

edit: http://www.1337haxorz.de/products.html#v2 Neato. new toy.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 12, 2009

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

duck monster posted:

Whatchya do that in. C or something fancy like supercollider or something?

Cos if you did that in C, get your resume to NI pronto, because thats some smooth poo poo.

edit: http://www.1337haxorz.de/products.html#v2 Neato. new toy.

Yeah you found it :) I didn't write the synth, just the track :)

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:
I'm sort of mulling over the whole production process in my spare time. I'm actually in Iraq right now and don't have access to my Axiom 49 to write my own leads and melodies. I don't really know how to do all that anyway but I did get books and poo poo to help myself out with music theory and composition.

What I'm using now is Ableton 7 Suite working on basic arrangements and sequenceing. I got into operator the other day and was reading out of the Dance Music Manual about making basic synth structres (wave a + wave b stuff) and it was really a lot of fun. It had a lot of templates and examples on how to make a basic kick beat or create a siren effect, simple building blocks.

My question is besides messing with LFO and filters, how can I get better at shaping sounds into exactly what I have in my head? Maybe I just need some more practice at it but I was really excited when I got things to sound like what the book said they would sound like. I just don't want to get stuck making the same sounds over and over.

On a seperate note, I have been working with Live for about a month now and it is a lot of fun. Like I was saying, I have been more focused on arrangement and building drops and poo poo then making my own sounds. The Dance Music Manual has been a huge help and I would love to be able to post something here in the next month or so to get critiques.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

second best sponge posted:

My question is besides messing with LFO and filters, how can I get better at shaping sounds into exactly what I have in my head? Maybe I just need some more practice at it but I was really excited when I got things to sound like what the book said they would sound like. I just don't want to get stuck making the same sounds over and over.

Use the different Operator routing algorithms, and use independent amp envelopes for your oscillators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damien
Jun 21, 2003
Hey guys,

I've been working on improving my production skills, melody writing and structure in general (actually using chord progressions and such has helped) and in general introducing variety into my music without having it ramble.

Here's a little acid-inspired tune I wrote, let me know what you guys think I could improve on and what you like or just plain dislike about it. This was done entirely in FL8:

(I know it doesn't actually sound vintage in anyway, I just tried mixing it in 6 different ways and named each one differently to tell them apart, this one is IMO the best-sounding)

• Locked thread