Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namelesstwo
May 7, 2007
the uber joker

argz posted:

Finally able to rebuild my old rig and matched my 19's with my crappier one in favor of my new 26's

I'm looking for a 2 tiered desk like that currently, may I ask where you purchased something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

n0manarmy posted:

I'm embarrassed to show this. My desk gets extremely cluttered because of the amount of projects that I have to work on at once.

Gizmodo posted their sloppy desks contest results yesterday, you are doing fine.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5192475/good-lord-you-people-are-all-slobs

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

The desks are stupid low and the monitors wont raise up. Had to raid the office supply room.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

jink posted:

Y'know, I've seen those lamps before and thought, "wow, those are pretty ugly. I wonder how that could work and look good."

You have answered my question. Thank you

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

Dragyn posted:

Y'know, I've seen those lamps before and thought, "wow, those are pretty ugly. I wonder how that could work and look good."

It is kind of jarring how the two monitors have a color temp so much cooler than anything else in the room. Pretty swank nonetheless.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

Stuntman Mike posted:

It is kind of jarring how the two monitors have a color temp so much cooler than anything else in the room. Pretty swank nonetheless.

Agreed, but a warm colored monitor would be awful, imo

Maybe a warmer Windows theme?

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

Dragyn posted:

Or Ubuntu :suicide:

qlat
Aug 12, 2003

Dragyn posted:

Yeah, looks like the default blue Luna there

blanksuspect
Mar 4, 2009
I'm jealous of about 75% of these desktops.

Here's my contribution:

It serves the purpose it was intended for.

/first post

Pricklypine
Mar 4, 2007
War music is pulsing

In a shared studio space (i.e. freezing, unfinished garage)

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Pricklypine posted:

Hey I just read a thing about shared creative spaces on Wired. How do you like that arrangement? Are you good friend with the people you pay rent to?

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

Pricklypine posted:

What is your MBP sitting on top of?

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

Crush posted:

Seems like a rack-unit compressor of some sorts, or a rack-unit something for that matter.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Click here for the full 1080x1920 image.
My Jerker is the best Jerker.

Click here for the full 1080x1920 image.
I built this out of $3 of wood, $3 of screws, and some cheap Monoprice wall mounts. The monitor is technically on a fully-articulated mount, but I don't really use that. Sitting at the computer, I'm constantly reminded that I LIVE IN poo poo. Personally, I like the aesthetic. I haven't cinched all the wiring tight because this is all getting taken down in a week when I move :(

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.
The TV is a 42" LG on a standard wall-mount, lag-bolted to the 2x4s. This is what I see when I'm laying in bed. It's honestly like sleeping in a movie theatre.

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.
I'm actually in the process of moving (hence the clean desk), so my setup is a lot weaker than it normally is. Up next to the reciever are usually my 360 & PS2, and then a standalone player on the other side. I've got enough storage space that I keep my snowboard on the very top (I have 3 total shelves, all in all this is about 8 feet tall.

My UPS is visible peeking out from the desk. If the desktop weren't there, you could see my sub, then my tower to the extreme right.

I have a second Sidewinder keyboard that I use when I'm laying in bed. The number pads disconnect, and so it's the perfect lap-width. Eventually I'll get a DiNovo or some media KB with a touchpad.

If I was staying in this place, with this setup, I planned to get an HDMI splitter, as cloning monitors in Win7 isn't HDCP compliant (I've a Blu-ray drive in my PC) so I have to switch between Clone, Show on Monitor, and Show on "Projector". Thank God for Windows + P!

E: Stole roommates real camera. Pictures should be higher-quality now.

Wombot fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 3, 2009

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jink posted:

This is from Ikea right? How long is that desk?

nf
Mar 5, 2005

nf fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Oct 25, 2009

Pricklypine
Mar 4, 2007
War music is pulsing

tehschulman posted:

Hey I just read a thing about shared creative spaces on Wired. How do you like that arrangement? Are you good friend with the people you pay rent to?

I think it is working out very well. I only share with one person, who is a good friend and who I pay my share of the rent to as it was his solo space first. However, he is the one who pays the rent to the landlord, who is not a friend, but who was found through another friend who lives in the building the garage belongs to.

Crush posted:

It is the model of the Motu Traveler before the mk3. It's a portable audio interface for recording.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

nf posted:

Just got some new screens.

what mount is that?

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

what the f/2.8 is going on here!

New mount \m/

Ergotron MX

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

there's a bear going round, taking names

Click here for the full 1843x1229 image.

Living like poo poo. It's funny how temporary arrangements become permanent!

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

do it posted:

What desk is this?
It's a custom made desk, told a carpenter to make it.

Mierdaan posted:

Is that.... is that Real World Haskell on your desk?
Oh yeah!

Thug Bonnet
Sep 22, 2004

anime tits ftw

Dragyn posted:

I have one I got from Target for like $45 on sale, and it matches a similarly-styled hanging lamp in my apartment. It's not the height of fashion for sure, but they look nice and they light they throw is very pleasant.

Skank Tank
Jul 10, 2005
The girls wearing small shoes usually come with stickybombs

[Development] [Testing]
[NAL admin] [Email] [RemoteDesktop] [Internet/music]

I had access to the store room so each month I would add a monitor/computer and keep it if I used it over the following weeks. In the end I found that as long as I used the one keyboard & mouse I was fine but having an extra laptop/tablet became too much.

Programs I used:
Input Director (mouse/keyboard)
UltraMon (expand windows over multiple screens)

If you're keen on dragging PROGRAMS across multiple computers then you can throw some money at http://www.maxivista.com/multi_monitor.htm

Skank Tank fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 4, 2009

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

mrk posted:

New mount \m/

Ergotron MX
Hey there Hazro monitor buddy. Your post makes me want to buy a new mount for my monitor!

InsanityPrawnBoy
Jan 19, 2006

theres a dog trapped inside your guitar

Milo Pollywalter posted:

Click here for the full 1843x1229 image.

What's the drobo like? Is it worth the money?

mrk
Jan 14, 2004

what the f/2.8 is going on here!

InsanityPrawnBoy posted:

You should do dude!

People always comment on the monitor when I have friends and stuff round and now they will comment on it even more with the mount :D

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

InsanityPrawnBoy posted:

What ever you do, DO NOT BUY A DROBO. Buying into their proprietary garbage was a terrible idea. I've been troubleshooting these strange random reboot cycles that it's been falling into since a little while after buying it. A few flashy lights are nowhere near enough to diagnose problems with a storage array. Their support department hardly exists and certainly isn't too technical. I wish I'd built a Linux software RAID array instead.

puffin
Dec 19, 2000

Milo Pollywalter posted:

You have good taste in headphones!

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Dragyn posted:

Thanks guys. It's just Vista Enterprise, the picture is my work machine. The color temp isn't that bad, it's hard to produce a photo with a digital camera that has the correct white balance for the lighting.

Tab8715 posted:

This is from Ikea right? How long is that desk?

It is the 47" one: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39847804

jink fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 4, 2009

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.
There are shorter ones plus you can get cable trays that attach undearneath the back. Galants are sturdy as poo poo, they have a steel frame underneath the wood.

I love my Galants, but make sure you get the T-style legs. the other legs suck rear end.

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

puffin posted:

You have good taste in headphones!

Thanks! Just bought them recently and I have to say I'm impressed with the design. They're very comfortable and being able to detach them from the cable (which I have tied into my desktop setup) is useful.

Thug Bonnet
Sep 22, 2004

anime tits ftw

Milo Pollywalter posted:

What ever you do, DO NOT BUY A DROBO. Buying into their proprietary garbage was a terrible idea. I've been troubleshooting these strange random reboot cycles that it's been falling into since a little while after buying it. A few flashy lights are nowhere near enough to diagnose problems with a storage array. Their support department hardly exists and certainly isn't too technical. I wish I'd built a Linux software RAID array instead.

I have a really hard time believing that even on it's worst day that a Drobo is less reliable than a software RAID.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Pretty lovely 4 year old computer from best buy. I upgraded it a few times, but nothing major. I <3 my la-z-boy.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
Televisions on lawn chairs is the lifestyle of kings!

I would take a pic of mine but mine is on a blue colored lawn chair.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Finally got the cables cleaned up. MacBook got an upgrade, and the PS2 was voted off of the island.

No longer living like poo poo. :c00l:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 5, 2009

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

Thug Bonnet posted:

I have a really hard time believing that even on it's worst day that a Drobo is less reliable than a software RAID.

Yeah, I thought so as well. I thought I'd had this phantom reboot problem fixed several times now. It would randomly reboot after several hours of normal activity and then fail every time it booted until I reset the power. What irritates me so much about this is that the Dashboard, which is supposed to be the main method of diagnosis, isn't even working when it's doing this.

At first I thought it was bad firmware on Seagate drives so I updated that, it's still the same. Each of the drives worked fine when used as a ntfs drive on my windows 7 desktop for around a day each (ran hdtach on them as well). This leads me to think that it's definitely the Drobo itself. I haven't tried to get replaced under warranty yet as it's still half-working so I haven't quite given up yet.

Milo Pollywalter fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 5, 2009

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Finally got off my rear end and tidied everything up.

I still have a mess of cables, but at least now they're off the floor and out of reach from my roomba's vicious maw.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I know everyone is showing off their huge amazing desks but can someone recommend a small desk that will only hold a 15" Laptop and possibly an external Harddrive?

I have the Frederick Ikea desk but it's way too big for my bedroom. I'm looking for a pretty small (and decently priced) desk to keep in my bedroom for only the laptop and maybe an external HD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

A glass Ikea Galant desk really makes Apple equipment look good. I like having it up on the Griffin Elevator to make it even with my 2001fp. This desk is so huge, it's a great change from the top of a half-height chest of drawers I had earlier.

I have a Drobo down below my desk which spontaneously reboots sometimes, but Drobo support has chalked it up to resetting if the hard drives spin up too slowly, and they've promised to exchange it if I ever get annoyed enough to call them up again. Make sure to update the firmware and use USB, not Firewire.

Sorry for the low quality picture, I only have an iPhone to take pictures with.